Weight and Resistance Training - Starting NROL4W--Anyone else?

View Full Version : Starting NROL4W--Anyone else?

Moving Forward
01-06-2013, 12:19 AM
I've finished my second phase 1 workout and am feeling great! Well, pretty sore actually. But loving it. :D. Anyone else out there doing this program right now? I'd love some people to chat with about how it's going.

kmac1196
01-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I made it to phase 3 before tiring of it. It was my first full body workout routine. I'm partial to Upper/Lower training. I did get bored with it so I left it for another. I do know a lot of people love it though.

Moving Forward
01-10-2013, 11:52 PM
Sorry to hear you tired of it. Why do you think that happened? Because you prefer the upper/lower body training better? I don't have anything else to go off of because I'm entirely new to weight lifting.

Sibi
01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
Actually, I just started it. Finished my very first week and wow, was I feeling it those first two days. Looking forward to improving my weights though.

Moving Forward
01-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Yay Sibi! I was beginning to think I was the only one out there. I've now done 6 workouts and am starting to get into a groove. My last few workouts I upped the weights and have been feeling it. I've been walking around sore for a few days afterwards. :carrot: I wish the authors had given some starting weight guidelines because I have been just making this up by myself as I go.

slowloser
01-13-2013, 10:49 PM
I also just started this..I've done only 2 workouts so far, but I feel awesome!! I love feeling strong!

Moving Forward
01-14-2013, 11:27 PM
Slowloser--Yay! I hope you're up for chatting about it. I've only done about 7 workouts. I can already tell that I'm getting stronger. Tonight I did a set of squats with 30 pound dumbbells and ended up feeling that it wasn't nearly enough. I pumped it up to 40 pounds each and felt very satisfied with the burn. I'm feeling great too. I think this could get addicting. :)

Rated
01-14-2013, 11:39 PM
I just finished reading it and plan on figuring out when I want to fit in my workouts/review how to go about it since I have never weight lifted before. I'll post again after workout one and tell you what I think

Moving Forward
01-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Rated--I found that it took some time to get organized, but now that I've got preprinted logs, all the equipment I need (I'm doing this at home) and a system in place that I'm rolling. It's worth the time up front. Definitely report back after you start!

Rated
01-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Yeah I feel like I need to organize everything. I have the logs printed now I just have to go through the exercises to make sure I have everything. I am also doing it at home and I live in the middle of no where so I might have to improvise some of the exercises. My plan is to finish organizing tonight and start the workout tomorrow or Thursday

Syckgirlsfv
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I've always lifted weights like the men do! I'm really strong and have a lot of muscle, too...BUT, I am a little chubby right now and only diet can help. Weight-lifting is amazing, but it doesn't rid you of the chub

slowloser
01-15-2013, 11:32 PM
I finished my third workout today and was surprised that my push ups (at a 50% incline) were much easier then the first day! I still can't do regular push ups, but I didn't expect to see an improvement this quickly, especially with push ups cause I've always struggled with them!

Moving Forward
01-15-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info Syckgirlsfv! Any tips for us newbies? I feel sort of "out there" with just me, my book, and my weights in my garage. I'm starting weight lifting after having lost most of my weight--and I'm still dieting to go down more. I sure wish I could take one of you experienced lifters out in my garage with me--if even for one workout!

Slowloser--Those pushups are a $@&ch, aren't they!? In my youth, my arms were really strong and I remember doing 40 or more real pushups at a time. I've moved from 5 real/10 modified to 15 real in the few weeks I've been doing this. They aren't as low as they should be yet, but I can definitely feel the progress. And I'm adding weight already for all the other exercises. By the way, for home use I am using a 170 pound weight set with a barbell, 50 pound adjustable dumbbells, a step ladder, a Swiss ball and a weight bench. I might have been able to get by with less, but this seems good for now.

Syckgirlsfv
01-16-2013, 12:35 PM
if you are looking to get stronger, just when you feel like you've done the last rep you can, do one more. Do you have a bench? If so, the bench press (with your barbell) will really help you with push-ups, and vice versa. I've been benching for 10 years and my one rep max is 150, but I haven't hit that in a while. I usually stick to going up to maybe 105-115 at most these days, which is the 45 pound barbell loaded with a quarter and a nickel (or dime) on each side. I think you've just motivated me to start working on my bench more so that I can get back to my one rep max! :strong:

Needless to say, though, benching has made it so that I can do 20 military style push-ups inside of a minute :exercise: I only know this because my step class instructor has us try to do as many as we can in one minute, and most of the class can't do more than 5 military style. (knees NOT on the ground)

I have lots of good tips :D, my husband is huge and benches 400 and his biceps are over 18 inches - he's been my drill sargent for years but I do admit we both kind of slacked for a year due to burn out...but we're back! :carrot:

Moving Forward
01-17-2013, 09:59 PM
Syckgirls--Benchpressing 150 is awesome! I have a bench, but unfortunately no bar to hold the weights for a bench press. Maybe my hubby could help... You are so lucky to have a built in drill sergeant! If only I had someone to kick me in the butt. I'm doing it all on my own as the rest of my family relaxes on most days. Don't ask how I'm mustering the motivation! Would you mind if I periodically used you as my consultant when stuff comes up about weight lifting? At any rate, welcome back to lifting! Go get busy on that bench press.

Any tips you can think of would be greatly appreciated!

Moving Forward
01-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Syckgirls--Just thought of a question. Are you supposed to be sore after every workout? I usually really feel it while I'm doing my reps. Sometimes I feel it afterwards and sometimes I don't.

Also, do you really need to load up on tons of protein? I'm trying to run a calorie deficit and I still need to fine tune the nutrition end. I still have some fat to lose and would like to simultaneously lose the fat and gain muscle. Ha!

slowloser
01-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm not always sore either, but I'm not too worried about that because if I'm following the program, I'm lifting just enough weights that I can barely finish my sets, so I know I'm working out hard.

I don't plan on doing any bench presses yet, I just want to follow the program as it is written as it is written in such a way that we are suppose to be getting stronger and stronger every workout. I've only done the one week, but I have increased weight each workout and plan to tomorrow again as I start my second week.

Moving Forward
01-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Sounds like you're doing it as I understand we should Slowloser. That's good to hear that your soreness experience is similar to mine. I've actually been bummed out when I wasn't that sore the next day and have been questioning myself. I just noticed that I go up to three sets of everything my next workout. :^: That ought to put a spin on things for me!

2FatCats
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Ladies,

I am doing the Supercharged version but my thread for that is kinda inactive. Mind if I join you? I am in week three and sounds like there are the same basic exercises/principles.

MovingForward: Long time no hear!
About protein: I feel it is important. Here is a thread that might help (on another site):http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
It looks a lot more complicated than it really is. I still operate in a caloric deficit @ 1600 calories but track my bf to make sure I am losing fat - not muscle. I use the Navy method since it professes to be accurate w/in 3% and I can do it myself with lower error. I have digital calipers but I'm not a very good contortionist and I can't reach all the spots and I'm not properly trained and readings are all over the place. Sadly, the Navy method makes me really high bf ---and the truth kinda hurts. But at least it is a consistent method and I can easily recreate the measurement sites! So even if it's inaccurate on % - it's an accurate representation of my progress.

Syckgirlsfv: Any thoughts on protein? I get 150g - my target body weight. Lean lbs are sad right now - 115. I used to have 131...working on getting back there.

Real pushups: I hear all of ya!! I was in the Army and did @ least 55 in 2 minutes...now...15 elevated on side of my squat cage. But the bar is going down every time! I'm going to hit the floor any day now!

Moving Forward
01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
2FatCats--Please join in! I didn't know there was a Supercharged version. I just looked it up--you got that hot off the presses! Thanks for the link on protein. I'll definitely check that out. Based on the book recommendations, it looks like I should be eating 105 g of protein, but I can rarely get that in with the caloric range I'm targeting, 1290. I wonder if I need to eat a little more because I've been really hungry on the days after I've lifted lately. I can't imagine getting in 150 g! Good for you! You are hard core with the Navy method! That's awesome. I'm just using the body fat estimate my scale gives me. Sadly, it hasn't moved yet and it says my body fat is something like 30 percent. Guess I've got some work to do. :dizzy: I'm going to hit the pushups again today. My arms can feel it already. In a twisted way, it's good to know I'm not the only one out there doing this to myself. :devil:

slowloser
01-18-2013, 04:24 PM
I try to get about 110 g of protein on my workout days and I have no problem getting it in. I have found things that I can eat that are high protein, low cal..like I eat a can of tuna everyday, which is 32g protein and only 140 calories. Also cottage cheese, you only need to eat 1/2 a cup to get 15 grams of protein, greek yogurt as well and I always have a shake after my workouts which is another 30g of protein. My main focus is getting my protein in, and after that i eat veggies and fruit and salads. I am usually sitting at about 1200-1400 calories.

2FatCats
01-18-2013, 10:58 PM
slowloser: Sadly most of those protein products have too much sodium for me. I can only have 1500mg a day due to high bp. I supplement with protein shakes (made w/ milk)- twice a day. Greek yogurt, boiled eggs -whites only, lean meats. If you eat enough strawberries you get a gram! I actually tend to go over my protein!

Moving Supercharged came out and I got it on the same day on my iPad so I can watch videos of exercises, too. And I have you to thank for the recommendation for this series, back in the 40-something forum!!
Glad to be along for the ride! My husband is doing this with me so technically I have a 'buddy' but he is not an active participant - I plan everything and he just eats/shows up for the workout. He hasn't said anything but I'm pretty sure he's tired of me talking about nothing but, well, food and exercise.:D And it's just not the same working out with a guy...they just motivate differently.
Speaking of being hungry on lifting days - I work out at 1700 when he gets home -so I started getting hungry the NEXT day! I was eating about 1400 calories but had to add a few hundred more. 1600 works for me right now. So so so glad I'm tall and can eat more calories!
I get a lot more thirsty now, too. I only drink plain water and I was getting 120oz. Now I drink at least 160oz. I just feel parched after working out!

In Supercharged - you do 4 phases of Basic Training, 4 weeks each, and there are 5 levels of exercises to choose based upon your own ability. Then you go into Hypertrophy for 3 phases, 6 weeks each. THEN comes Strength and Power for who knows how long. It's supposed to take 10 months for the whole program (you can repeat BT if you are still getting good gains- just choose higher levels of the exercises). I started at BT I, level 1 in all areas. As I go along - if I'm losing too much or not gaining muscle - I will adjust calories.

We finished week 3 today, and I can really tell now that I have gotten better/stronger. I'm moving up in levels, weights and reps! I'm so excited - I feel like I've finally figured out what I was missing in past efforts! Weights!! I would diet and cardio myself to a goal weight - but looking in the mirror there was just a smaller but still flabby version of me. Not this time!
Remember: Skinny chicks look good in clothes - fit chicks look good naked!

Happy Weekend All! Back at it Monday!

Syckgirlsfv
01-18-2013, 11:42 PM
Syckgirls--Just thought of a question. Are you supposed to be sore after every workout? I usually really feel it while I'm doing my reps. Sometimes I feel it afterwards and sometimes I don't.

Also, do you really need to load up on tons of protein? I'm trying to run a calorie deficit and I still need to fine tune the nutrition end. I still have some fat to lose and would like to simultaneously lose the fat and gain muscle. Ha!

not every time...I'm not always sore. But if you aren't it probably means you need to change up what you're doing for a while because your body has gotten used to it. It's possible that sometimes you work harder than others, and that's when you get sore. As for protein, some body builders get carried away with it. While it does help to build lean muscle, a lot of it comes down to genetics. My husband is a monster in the muscle department, yet he doesn't do all that protein shake stuff that the other guys do, and they are smaller than he is :D Protein shakes tend to cause me to bloat or retain water so I don't drink them. Remember also that if you don't get enough carbs your energy level will be shot and it will be hard to have any gains. If you haven't already heard of it, a website I love to refer to whenever I have questions is bodybuilding.com. It's awesome and helpful!

Syckgirlsfv
01-18-2013, 11:45 PM
Syckgirls--Benchpressing 150 is awesome! I have a bench, but unfortunately no bar to hold the weights for a bench press. Maybe my hubby could help... You are so lucky to have a built in drill sergeant! If only I had someone to kick me in the butt. I'm doing it all on my own as the rest of my family relaxes on most days. Don't ask how I'm mustering the motivation! Would you mind if I periodically used you as my consultant when stuff comes up about weight lifting? At any rate, welcome back to lifting! Go get busy on that bench press.

Any tips you can think of would be greatly appreciated!

wouldn't mind at all! It would probably help me, too! :D

Syckgirlsfv
01-18-2013, 11:49 PM
Ladies,

I am doing the Supercharged version but my thread for that is kinda inactive. Mind if I join you? I am in week three and sounds like there are the same basic exercises/principles.

MovingForward: Long time no hear!
About protein: I feel it is important. Here is a thread that might help (on another site):http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921
It looks a lot more complicated than it really is. I still operate in a caloric deficit @ 1600 calories but track my bf to make sure I am losing fat - not muscle. I use the Navy method since it professes to be accurate w/in 3% and I can do it myself with lower error. I have digital calipers but I'm not a very good contortionist and I can't reach all the spots and I'm not properly trained and readings are all over the place. Sadly, the Navy method makes me really high bf ---and the truth kinda hurts. But at least it is a consistent method and I can easily recreate the measurement sites! So even if it's inaccurate on % - it's an accurate representation of my progress.

Syckgirlsfv: Any thoughts on protein? I get 150g - my target body weight. Lean lbs are sad right now - 115. I used to have 131...working on getting back there.

Real pushups: I hear all of ya!! I was in the Army and did @ least 55 in 2 minutes...now...15 elevated on side of my squat cage. But the bar is going down every time! I'm going to hit the floor any day now!

oops I didn't see this post...protein is good and helps build lean muscle, but it depends on the person. What you could do is after lifting take glutamine - it helps to repair the muscles faster. I LOVE bodybuilding.com...so much info. But they are really geared towards the protein thing and it doesn't work for everyone. I also read that too much protein will make the kidney work too hard, but they are coming up with new discoveries about stuff every year!

Moving Forward
01-20-2013, 11:47 AM
Ladies--Thanks for all of the information. I will definitely be checking out the website. Never in a million years did I think I would be looking at bodybuilding forums! I'm such a girlie girl here! But you know what? This weight lifting feels amazing! I can definitely feel myself getting stronger. I'm just really bummed I didn't start sooner. :D.

So far my knees are hanging in there, but I do hear occasional pops and can feel the pressure on them when I'm doing squats and lunges. Anyone else have this? Should I be worrying? Parts of me wonder if this will get better as the muscles supporting the knees get stronger, but I'm not sure. I'm not feeling pain or any discomfort per se, nor I do I feel it when I'm not working out.

kmac1196
01-29-2013, 08:34 AM
Oooh, sorry. Just checked back. I think I tired of it because I'm not new to lifting and I am used to Upper/Lower split. I am doing another full body 3 day a week split now which I like better. Compounds with some accesories thrown in. Anyway, it's a good program, it will work. But I like things I'll stick with. Good luck!

Thedollylala
01-29-2013, 09:06 AM
I'm on phase 3, I've been here for like 3 weeks lol, I enjoy this phase I suppose I should move on.

Moving Forward
02-02-2013, 03:11 AM
Thedollylala--I'm just finishing up phase 1. I finally feel like I'm in a groove and have some minor angst about switching it all up again. I'm surprised Phase 3 is only 3 weeks. I've been doing Phase 1 for a month and still have 3 regular workouts and 2 special workouts to go.

Kmac1196--I can see how you would feel the way you do since you're not new to lifting. What are compounds and accessories that you referred to? Sorry, I am a newbie to lifting! Lol! And what is the program you are doing? I'll need something to do after this one. I foresee myself becoming a regular lifter. Call me crazy, but that soreness is kind of addicting!

2FatCats
02-04-2013, 11:33 AM
MovingForward:

Totally agree with the soreness addiction! Hubby and I start Phase II tomorrow - after 7 w/o each of A & B! I like the change . . . feels like progress!
If you are looking for something to do after - try supercharged - basic training is 4 phases, 12 workouts each, then hypertrophy for 3 phases of 6 weeks, then power for who knows how long. Basically 10 month program!
There is a lady on there, Stephanie M that did the NROLW and is now doing supercharged.
I posted in my supercharged forum (getting active again) about the body comp changes since starting phase I. How about you? Notice anything?

copied from there: (down another pound, though!)
As I approach a new phase, it's time to reflect on Phase I results:
I wasn't sure how my body would respond to weights and still trying to lose those last lbs. So I have been monitoring my BF as well as scale weight to make sure I am getting enough protein and not cannibalizing my own muscles. So far, in month of Jan, I have gone from 115.5 lean body mass to 117.9! Started at 54 lbs fat, now @ 43. While the scale only showed 8.6, I actually lost 11lbs of fat!! WooHoo!
No matter how many articles, professionals and experts say that weight lifting is great for weight loss - until I actually saw measurable personal results - I was still a skeptic. SO SO glad the infamous 'they' were right!

StephanieM
02-04-2013, 10:49 PM
I did the first three stages of NROL4W, I lost a lot of inches but not much weight. I was going to start it over again after some time off and did a few workouts, but then I had a hive break out due to an allergy I didn't know I had. I couldn't workout for a few weeks because the hives would come back.

Now I'm halfway through the first stage of Supercharged. I notice my posture seems better, my gut isn't hanging out as much, and I can see some definition in my arms (which is amazing considering I'm still 20 or so lbs overweight). I like Supercharged much better so far.

Moving Forward
02-05-2013, 12:33 AM
That's good to know Stephanie. I think I will finish up NROL4W and then head on over to Supercharged. I am just now finishing up Phase 1 with the special workouts. I haven't lost any weight that I can see, but I did take measurements before I started so that will be interesting. I'm feeling good lifting, though. I'm really glad I've started. What seems better about Supercharged to you?

Moving Forward
02-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Wow 2FatCats! Those are some impressive results! I haven't been keeping track of my body fat percentages, but now wish that I had. I did take some pre-measurements. I'm going to measure this weekend because I am just finishing up Phase 1. I'll have to hop on over to your thread and see what's happening there too.

StephanieM
02-05-2013, 11:49 AM
Moving Forward, I lost a lot of inches during the 1st Stage, definitely check it out!

I like the customization part of Supercharged, and I like the set up of the workouts better. I also get a way better calorie burn with Supercharged.

gretel
02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
I can't even comment on how many times I've started NRoL4W, but I'm making 2013 my year to finish it. I'm still in Stage 1. I can only fit in 2 workouts a week, so I'm going much slower than I would like. I also run and bike, so I'm balancing a couple of programs. I think I got to Stage 5 during one of my previous attempts. I really need to start up with interval training like what is called for in the later stages. I do modify some of the exercises since I'm using a home gym and don't have a cable machine.

Moving Forward
02-08-2013, 12:44 AM
Hi Gretel--I'm just now doing the last special workout in phase 1. How far into it are you? It was amazing to me to see how light the weights now feel from my first workout. I did 130 squats last night with 10 pounds in each hand (I now squat with 40 in each hand). I had to stop because my feet were getting tired! The rest of the workout was better and I actually did AMRAP. I hope you continue with it this time. I, too, am doing this at home and have to modify because I don't have a cable machine. So far, it seems to be working out.

gretel
02-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Moving Forward - My next workout will be B #7, still stage 1. I'm thinking about skipping the AMRAP workout because I am going slow and I really just want to get to the end. I wish I was strong enough for that weight for squats. I'm up to 45 pounds on the barbell. I might have to go to the gym for the squat rack soon...

Moving Forward
02-10-2013, 12:00 PM
I really wish I had a squat rack. I've had my husband act as a squat rack for me a few times. When I do the weights on my back, I'm definitely lifting less weight than I can hold in my hands. Today I will do the last special workout. I wasn't planning to take the allowed week off between phases, but it looks like I'm going to be forced to because I have to travel for several days next week. The timing works out nicely at least. I'm anxious to get to phase 2, but I know it will be waiting for me when I get back.

mimsyborogoves
03-04-2013, 10:45 PM
Maybe this is a better thread for me; mine's not getting any activity lol. I wanna start this program but should I really do it when I haven't hit goal yet? I know it's all about losing inches and not actual pounds, but I wanna get down to 140! I don't want it to prevent my losses. How can you lose the weight and do the program at the same time by following his plan?

Moving Forward
03-05-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey Mimsyborogoves! This thread has been pretty quiet lately too. But I'm definitely still doing NROLW. I'm in the same spot with you weight-wise. When I started the program in January, I was about five pounds heavier than I am now. My guess is that doing this has slowed my actual loss on the scale (not dramatically), but lately I keep having people tell me how much skinnier I'm looking. My goal is 140 on the scale, but I'll take a few pounds heavier, slimmer, and toner over 140 any day of the week! Full disclosure though--I'm still eating at a deficit. The calories the program recommends to build muscle are much higher. I will consider upping the calories when I hit my goal weight. Another thing to consider is that I was on a loooong plateau until I started lifting. I really think it's what made the difference because it's the only change I've made. Can you tell I'm sold? Lol!

2FatCats
03-06-2013, 01:11 PM
@ Mimsyborogoves & Moving Forward:
I started on Jan 1 at 170, now 2 months in - I'm at 153. But I'm doing the Supercharged version which has intervals at the end of each workout. You could always add those if it doesn't have them. I wear my hr monitor and burn between 750-850 calories each workout, too. Calories - I'm with Moving - still eating at a deficit - around 1500-1600. I am dropping my body fat before I start the calorie surplus bulking portion. That should be about 148 (to put me under 20%) for me. The best thing, though - no loss of muscle over past 2 months. I've actually managed to gain a few pounds of muscle as well!! I normally would have worn a size 10 at 150, this time I could at 160. So I'd say it works!

gretel
03-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm now in Stage 2. I'm losing about a pound a week following the myfitnesspal guidelines (sedentary and 1 pound per week loss) and eating back exercise calories. Most of the last two weeks, I've been above my recommended calories. I always eat more on lifting days even if I don't quite eat as much as the book says I should. I get up to 1800-2000 calories on lifting days. I think I'm supposed to be over 2200, but I don't feel hungry enough to eat that much. I need to work on getting more protein into my diet though. I think that would help me feel more awake some days. I'll continue to keep my calorie deficit until I'm well out of the obese range.

tiawyn
03-06-2013, 02:40 PM
Hello, I've decided to do NROL4W, except I am doing a modified version. Since I have had previous personal training, I incorporated the plan from there to this one. I just started my plan yesterday. It will go for 2 months. I didn't like the way they did circuit training, so I have leg day, chest day, back day, and ab day. So we'll see how my "level 1" turns out. I haven't taken a closer look at the other stages, I honestly had to reread all of the stages in order to get what they were trying to instruct me to do like 10 times. But yeah, hope to keep tabs on this forum possibly.

Moving Forward
03-06-2013, 10:51 PM
2FatCats--Those are some impressive results. NROLW has started to add in intervals after lifting in phase 2. All along, I have been jumping on the treadmill for a bit after lifting to extend the burn. I am impressed with the calories you are burning. I get credit for about 200 usually in MFP, but on some days it feels like it should be a lot more. I think I will go to Supercharged after finishing NROLW. Like you, I will likely increase calories on lifting days once I hit my goal to build more muscle. My percentage body fat has decreased since I've started lifting, which tells me I've gained muscle even eating at a deficit.

Gretel--I'm in phase 2 as well. It's going well, except I'm not feeling the flexion exercises. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what. Are you feeling them?

Tiawyn--What you are doing sounds really different than NROLW. It's great you have some previous experience. Since so many of these exercises involve multiple body areas, I'm not quite sure how you are separating them out like that. In talking with my friends that lift, what you are doing sounds like a more traditional style of lifting workout schedule. I'll be curious to see how this goes for you.

tiawyn
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Well the thing that I was using is the skeleton of the workout schedule, with having 8 workouts, gradually getting heavier and less reps. I just scrambled what exercises to do daily. There are times when I really work out legs and even four days after I'm still sore, so I can't imagine doing the same thing 2 days later. Plus, the theory of working the same muscle, but in different ways to keep the body guessing is more appealing than doing squats every other workout day. Like yesterday, I did 3 different kinds of bicep curls (hand weights, ez curl bar, and preacher machine) as well as two different kinds of chest exercises (incline chest machine and push ups).

It has worked for me in the past, I was just implementing the whole increase weight, lower rep gradually instead of sticking to the 15 reps and gradually increase weight as comfortable as I can fulfilling the 15. We'll see how it goes.

And I'm not with my trainer anymore, so this is a good skeleton to work on by myself.

gretel
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Moving Forward - I definitely feel the flexion exercises. Are you moving as slow you can manage for them? I'm also a good 40+ pounds heavier than you so I'm moving a bit more body mass.

tiawyn - I'm not a purist but you should see how many people just say stick to the plan. I have to make modifications because I'm working out at home and I don't have a cable machine for any of the pull downs. I'm also doing a bunch of cardio work and need to fit that in between the lifts. I haven't looked into it yet, but there are other new rules books that may be more in line with what you are already doing. I hear very good things about Abs and Supercharged. I'm committed to finished this program before tackling another though.

2FatCats - wow, that is amazing! you must be working so hard! I definitely think I'm going to do intervals after all of my lifts. I need to train for a 75-mile bike ride anyway and it seems like the weight & interval combo packs one awesome punch.

2FatCats
03-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Thanks for all the kudos, ladies! The calorie burn equates to about 9 a minute for me. DH burns 10-11 a minute but he's got 2 inches and 58lbs on me!

We started Phase III in Supercharged on Tuesday. Boy oh Boy! Those reverse lunges with a rear foot elevated are quad KILLERS! My DH accused me of "distracting him by talking and therefore he was unable to complete the last set"...he said this as he lay on the gym floor gasping for breath and whimpering. I finished and stayed upright - only because I was afraid if I flopped on the floor I might not get up! They still hurt 2 days later and tonight there are squats to be done. But in a weird way - I welcome the pain. Just lots of weakness screaming as it leaves my body!

valalltogether
03-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Hey all! I'm in phase one and looking to finish it by early april. I workout M W F. I wanted to try to add one cardio day on Sunday but I keep getting caught up.

Through help on myfitnesspal, facebook and even in the gym itself I feel great about doing it. It can be daunting to move about the weights area. Can't wait to become a fixture there, and hopefully turn some heads when I'm able to lift very heavy.

mimsyborogoves
03-11-2013, 12:36 AM
I'm starting stage 1 of NROL4W tomorrow. Diet plan question -- I adjusted my calories according to dude's guidelines, and subtracted my "maintenance" calories by 300 as suggested by him. But my thing is, is it necessary to follow his diet plan exactly with the morning/afternoon snacks? On my days off or days I work night shifts this is easy, but sometimes I work a full 7-9 hour shift and I work on the sales floor of a department store where we're not allowed to eat, so on those days I only get an hour for my meal time and that's when I eat my mid-day meal and have my mid-day coffee (or, that's when I have my dinner if it's a dinner time break). Snacks don't really work out on those days. Does it really matter that I eat 5 times a day, every day? Or would I be fine just eating my allotted calories and have my protein shakes?

Moving Forward
03-11-2013, 02:18 AM
Lauren--I've basically disregarded the whole diet portion of the program. I'm just doing the workouts. I have tried to be mindful about eating more protein. And I'm eating far fewer calories than they recommend. Perhaps I would have more muscle by now if I had followed the diet pla, but I'm losing weight and getting stronger. I'm not sure what others are doing, but this is what I'm doing.

mimsyborogoves
03-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Lol @ me - day 1 of stage 1 workouts and I went over my workout calories! Haha! I had all these new calories to play with and I DID! I just laugh at myself. I misplanned some things and it just didn't work out like I wanted to. Oh well, I'll do better next time!

The workouts actually were pretty familiar to me and were things I'd done before; I had actually just added the seated rows to my workout routine before I started slacking, lol. The only thing I had issues with was the jack-knife on the exercise ball -- I am NOT used to using those! However, the book said to do 2 sets of 8 for those... once I got used to being on the ball, I could pound out that exercise no problem! I probably could've done like a bajillion reps, lol. Is it supposed to be that easy? And how do you make that more challenging???

Moving Forward
03-12-2013, 04:49 PM
Oopsie on the calories. :dizzy: That's life. Falls into the $@#t happens category as far as I'm concerned. The bigger problem for me is not mis-planning, but how hungry I sometimes feel on the day after lifting.

That's great a lot of these exercises are familiar to you. I felt like I started from scratch when I began. Now in phase 2, it was nice to see some repetition of exercises. My only recommendation of the prone jackknife is to do it in a very controlled manner and focus on tightening everything up as you do it. I also upped the count a bit because I felt I was capable of more.

mimsyborogoves
03-13-2013, 11:14 PM
Workout day 2 and I did SO much better today! All the exercises were familiar -- this is all stuff I've done before. I just suck at lunges. How do you get better at lunges??? My legs won't go down far enough, lol.

Moving Forward
03-14-2013, 12:33 AM
I hated the lunges at first in phase 1. I couldn't get down very far and I was worried about my knees. But as I started to do more of them, I just got used to them. I started to focus on making sure that I was at least getting low enough so that I could really feel the burn, which I think helped me to get lower. In phase 2, you start to do lunges with a rear leg elevated which is definitely effective. Despite my worries, my knees have been fine.

I'm glad to hear workout day 2 was better for you. I'm taking a week break because I just finished phase 2. Phase 2 was only 8 workouts so it went pretty quickly.

hiddenstar
03-18-2013, 12:04 AM
I just finished my 2nd day. I am finding it hard to skip days or not do extra exercises. I know the book says not to. Do you find this to be best like the book says?

hiddenstar
03-18-2013, 11:53 PM
Got another newbie question. Is it correct that we start off at 15 pushups then go to 12?
or am i suppose to make it harder some how? I can only do 10 now so unsure if i should plan to decrease.

Moving Forward
03-19-2013, 02:05 AM
Hi Hiddenstar--I was so sore after the workouts in phase 1 that I definitely needed those days off. I still take them. You want to give your body a chance to build muscle. I also take the weeks off between phases for recovery.

I think you should reduce the number of pushups, but try one of the harder versions since you are doing fewer of them.

I hope you enjoy it! I am starting to notice by phase 3 that a lot of the exercises are starting to repeat, which is helping me feel more comfortable with the exercises.

gretel
03-19-2013, 11:05 AM
hiddenstar - can you post some of the weights you are lifting? if you feel like you could go again the next day, maybe you aren't pushing yourself hard enough. I'm always struggling to get that last rep in and it is definitely effective.

hiddenstar
03-19-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm probably going too low. My knees are very weak (no damage according to dr) so i took it slow to watch form and learn routine. My 1st two days - i did 20 lbs. Today, i did 40lbs. I probably still need to up it more. Just don't know how much to do and afraid of overdoing it as a beginner. Don't want to go back to constant knee pain which happened end of november.

Any advise greatly appreciated. :)

Moving Forward
03-20-2013, 12:14 AM
I think you are wise to take it slow and watch your form, but you need to lift heavy to get the full benefit. I was worrying about my knees in the beginning too. But I never felt any pain. In fact, now that you mention it I don't think about my knees anymore. I think I've strengthened the supporting muscles for my knees. I also notice less back pain in my daily life--likely because I've strengthened my back and core muscles. Try increasing your weights on every exercise at every workout, unless you really know you can't or shouldn't.

Moving Forward
03-20-2013, 12:19 AM
I would like an opinion. In phase 3 workout B it says to a back flexion exercise. In the description of that exercise, it says to substitute a prone cobra as a home gym alternative. I'm confused because the prone cobra is later one of the exercises listed for everyone to do. Am I supposed to just do twice as many prone cobras then? That seems like a lot of prone cobras to me. :dizzy:

valalltogether
03-21-2013, 01:00 AM
Moving onto the second half of stage 1 where I do 3 sets now. Phew! Feeling pretty good about my form on the deadlift and squat but I can't be sure. Can't wait to put some "big" plates on the ends of my bar. (by that I mean atleast 25lb where they look impressive haha)

Whoever said they could pump out a bajillion prone jack knives -- wow! They kill me at about rep 8 or 9.

Moving Forward
03-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Valaltogether--Isn't that a big step up when you go to three sets? I remember feeling it then. In stage 2, the workouts start to get longer. Now in stage 3 I'm often working out for a full 90 minutes. It actually makes it a little tricky for me to fit workouts into my schedule where I won't be interrupted. Don't worry, you'll be putting big weights on soon enough. There is at least 1 lift where I've got 70 pounds on the bar.

valalltogether
04-03-2013, 06:47 PM
Ugh, I've had to postpone a couple workouts AND my diet hasn't been terrific, but that isn't going to stop me from trucking on ahead..

I had a fellow tell me I had good form on my deadlifts, happy about that!

3 sets has been different but not totally killer. I'm now up to less reps (8 instead of 10), so atleast there's that :)

So totally not taking the rest periods as I should. I just wait til I catch my breath and feel okay to do the next set. I think I was at the gym somewhere around 30 to 40 minutes for the latter half of stage 1. Hm..

Moving Forward
04-05-2013, 08:54 AM
I remember doing phase 1 workouts pretty quickly. Those were the good old days--lol! I know what you mean about not taking the rest between sets that you should. I'm still in phase 3 where you're supposed to take 105" between sets. With these workouts taking so long, I'm often cutting the rests short to move along. I don't think it's hurting anything, but I do wonder if it's changing anything. Lately, between being so busy and procrastinating, I've only been getting in 2 workouts some weeks. But I'm still going. I think that's what is important. And lately, I've been eating way too much with the Easter holiday and spring break here. I'll get back to eating right next week. So far, I haven't seen it on the scale so that's good. Congrats on those deadlifts! That's awesome.

L J
04-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi all! I'm Laura, 27 today, and I'm plugging away at reading NROL4FW. The first half of the book is extraordinarily boring, I can't wait to get to the meat of it.

I have never lifted before, but I am really excited to start. I'm super intimidated about doing it in a gym full of people, but I'm going to do my best to just suck it up and get over it. I'm going Tuesday to join a gym that just opened this week.

I work with all men, and everyone I work with is joining this gym, so I'm hoping that will make it less anxiety inducing for me, to have friendly faces there.

Those of you that went from being complete WLing newbies to doing NRLW, how long did it take you to feel comfortable in the weight room?

I wanted to buy equipment and do it at home, but I have been looking for over two months and can't find anything in my price range used that is what I need. They gym is only $40 a month, I figure I can justify that for my health's sake.

I have been stuck at 142 for 15 days now, to spite staying at my very reasonable calorie goal and exercising to DVDs 6 days a week. I am hoping lifting is the ticket to seeing some real changes in my body. I will takes inches or scale weight; I will be thrilled with any positive change!

Moving Forward
04-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Hi Laura! I busted through a plateau a few months ago and the only thing that I changed was that I added weight lifting. I started out as a complete newbie to weight lifting and am really enjoying it. I'm finishing up phase 3 right now. I bought everything to do it at home because I just don't have time to get myself to the gym. There have been many times I wished I was in the gym because I just don't have all the equipment to do all the exercises. I feel like I'm making it work though. Sorry, I don't have too much to tell you about the gym. If I were you, I would see if any of the ladies at work who are joining the gym might be interested in doing the program with you. I would have loved a workout buddy to do this with. Keep us posted on how it goes for you.

valalltogether
04-09-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey Laura! I was a complete newbie, too. In the past, I had done some of the machines but never spent more than 10 minutes out there. I still like to go to the gym during the more "off" hours just for the sake of not having to wait.

If you are on facebook, look into the NROLFW group. People are posting there constantly! Always uploading helpful videos. Always eager to answer any questions you might have. (https://www.facebook.com/groups/NROL4W/)

As for your weight..you might want to ditch the scale for a while and switch to a tape measure.

And for me...two more workouts and i'm done with stage 1! I'll miss you stage 1. Going to take pictures by the end of this week, and i'm a little nervous to compare them to my before before pictures (took these like, 7 months ago). Going to take sets of pictures after every stage. Woop woop.

Moving Forward
04-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Thans for the heads up on the Facebook group! I had no idea. I'll check that out.

valalltogether
04-12-2013, 05:55 PM
Done with Stage 1!!

I'll share some of my stats with ya'll:

Squat:

45 ---> 95

Seated Row:

32 ---> 85

Deadlift:

65 ---> 115

DB Shoulder Press:

10 ---> 17.5

Lat Pull Down:

27.5 ---> 80

Feelin proud! Stage 2, I will focus more on my diet since it has been less than ideal. My weight is up :( but i'm trying not to let it bother me since my clothes more or less fit the same.

Moving Forward
04-13-2013, 02:37 PM
Those are some very impressive stats! You should feel proud. Don't worry about the weight gain. As you already know, it's how those clothes fit that will be most telling. Keep going!

Moving Forward
04-23-2013, 01:29 AM
I'm starting phase 4. The workout chart says 2-3 sets of everything. What does that mean? Do I get to choose? Anyone know the reasoning behind this?

valalltogether
05-08-2013, 09:24 PM
OH my god..so my one week off between stages became almost a month! So embarrassed :( I went back to the gym yesterday to do a stage 1 session just to get me back into the swing of things before starting stage 2 and I think I died. Was doing squats @ 85 lbs and it felt like I pulled a muscle in my leg. I actually cut my workout short..couldn't make it through the step ups because I didn't want to injure myself. Feeling the pain today, but its just soreness.

Moving Forward
05-08-2013, 10:54 PM
Oh man! That's too bad. It's good that you went back to it and didn't just give up. I'm finishing up stage 4 this week and think sticking with it is totally worth it. I can seriously see that I look and feel better than before I started lifting. You were smart to cut it short today if you were concerned about injury. I've done that too before, especially when I was concerned about my knees. Better to be safe than sorry. You'll have a better assessment of the situation tomorrow, for better or for worse. I got my first weight lifting injury two days ago, but thankfully it was just a flesh wound. I tripped over my weight bench while trying to maneuver a loaded bar over it. Stupid, unsafe maneuver, I know. :D

carter
07-10-2013, 08:02 AM
May I revive this thread? I have been wanting to shake up my workouts for a while so I read NROLFW and this week I started the program. I am an experienced lifter and so Stage 1 workouts feel a little abbreviated and easy to me. What I mean is I can make the individual exercises challenging with load selection, but the workout itself is very brief and I still have energy left in the tank when I'm done. That said, I decided to follow the routines exactly anyhow; it's not a bad thing to lighten up for a bit and I know they will get more challenging later. And, there are some exercises in there that I haven't done before - I never did those Swiss ball jackknives and they are legit difficult!

Anyway I'm excited about it. I geeked out and got a workout-tracking iPad app to record my workouts in, and so far it's a lot of fun.

Moving Forward
07-11-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi Carter! Please do revive the thread. I'm now in Stage 7--just starting. I've gone on several vacations recently so I keep having to stop. (It's summer so I'm not working.) I miss the regular workouts and need to get back to it. Don't worry, the workouts will kick up in length and intensity as you go on. The last few stages, the workouts were taking me 90 minutes or more to complete. I skipped stage 6, the optional one, because I'm doing this at home and didn't have some of the equipment.

cosmic wisdom
07-20-2013, 08:18 PM
I love NROL4W did it about 3 times with some modifications. Now Im doing NROL4L.

JellyBeanmarshmellow
07-31-2013, 02:21 PM
I'm on stage one, week 2. At what point did you guys see a significant change in your bodies?

Moving Forward
08-03-2013, 03:12 PM
I started to feel that I was getting stronger by the end of phase 1. I didn't keep good records, but as I was into phase 2 I feel like I was definitely starting to see my body slimming out. I really think lifting has been great for my figure. Keep it up.