Living Maintenance - Maintainers staying lean in 2013

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Maintainers staying lean in 2013

bargoo
01-05-2013, 08:33 AM
Time to move forward in the New Year. Whatever we did or did not do in 2012 is in the past. Time to move forward.
I am starting 2013 still at goal but up a little bit due to a nasty binge a couple of days ago.

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 08:44 AM
bargoo, thanks for the new thread! This maintainer will GET lean in 2013 - time to ditch the skinny-fat. And not so skinny at the moment either. Now that I'm poking my head up from last week's abyss, the holiday damage appears to be a genuine 4 pounds. Today, back to logging, with a 1500 calorie target M-F, and 1700 for Sat/Sun. I'm starting small on the exercise - 1 yoga, 1 TRX session, and 1 pool per week for January. Onward!

bargoo
01-05-2013, 09:05 AM
I'm starting small on the exercise - 1 yoga, 1 TRX session, and 1 pool per week for January. Onward!

Doesn't sound small to me, but I believe you can do it !

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 09:21 AM
bargoo, it is important to note that I didn't specify time. ;) I've lost most of my masochistic tendencies.

bargoo
01-05-2013, 09:36 AM
bargoo, it is important to note that I didn't specify time. ;) I've lost most of my masochistic tendencies.

Sounds like you are moving forward .

alinnell
01-05-2013, 10:22 AM
I'm torn between trying to get into an exercise routing starting this week only to have it interrupted on our cruise or just waiting until I'm done with the cruise.

Is it weird that I'm not really looking forward to this cruise so much?

1.7 pounds above where I was pre-Thanksgiving, so I think I did a pretty good job of not gaining too much over the holidays. I think all the golf helped. We didn't golf nearly as much last year.

traveling michele
01-05-2013, 11:27 AM
Is it weird that I'm not really looking forward to this cruise so much?

Yes! Why wouldn't you be looking forward to the cruise?!?! I forgot where you were going? I remember it sounded amazing though!

Dh and I have been going back and forth about planning a trip. I wanted to do an amazing beach vacation-- dh was hesitant to spend $$ and he doesn't like trying new things/places. I finally pinned him down and we booked a cruise last night. We found a great deal and will be doing a 7 day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. So, my goal is to get down to my "happy weight" by March.

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 11:43 AM
allison, I think I get where you're coming from. Maybe the key is to shoot for a "medium" ... maybe plan for a ROUTINE when you get back, but don't let that shoot you in the foot for not doing anything between now and then. It would be unfortunate to wall yourself off from enjoying a special time!

alinnell
01-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Yes! Why wouldn't you be looking forward to the cruise?!?! I forgot where you were going? I remember it sounded amazing though!

Dh and I have been going back and forth about planning a trip. I wanted to do an amazing beach vacation-- dh was hesitant to spend $$ and he doesn't like trying new things/places. I finally pinned him down and we booked a cruise last night. We found a great deal and will be doing a 7 day cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel, Belize, and Honduras. So, my goal is to get down to my "happy weight" by March.

Our cruise is the Smooth Jazz Cruise, round trip from Ft. Lauderdale with stops in Cancun, Belize and Key West. A lot of cruising and not too many ports, but the focus is on music. I often regret planning trips as they come close because it's just such a hassle--packing, TSA, flying, hotels and then all again in reverse! I'm sure once I'm there I'll have a great time.

allison, I think I get where you're coming from. Maybe the key is to shoot for a "medium" ... maybe plan for a ROUTINE when you get back, but don't let that shoot you in the foot for not doing anything between now and then. It would be unfortunate to wall yourself off from enjoying a special time!

Good idea! Let's see, two days of golf--walking 18 (short) holes will be good for the weekend, but I'll try to get in a couple treadmill or elliptical sessions this week.

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 06:32 PM
allison, sounds like a solid plan!

michele, March should be fantastic timing for a cruise - just before the winter fatigue really takes hold. :)

I ended up under 1200 calories today; the first day is always a good one, isn't it? ;) And I set up my TRX and tried each of the exercises in the Basic Training workout. I can see how one could get themselves into real trouble with this thing, trying to do more that what's sensible!

alinnell
01-05-2013, 10:07 PM
Gaw! Golf (and a long day of that) followed by burgers and tater tots at my in-laws. I only ate 10 tater tots, but still. Not the healthiest of choices.

bargoo
01-06-2013, 07:19 AM
I remember when Tater Tots and Fish Sticks first came on the market ( new to me anyway), had them a lot until I realized they are really not that good.

ICUwishing
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
Processed foods were a really big part of my life while I was growing up. I have some fond memories of tater tots with Worcestershire sauce. And for that matter, instant mashed potatoes, Kraft M&C, Swanson TV dinners, "processed cheese food" ... it's a long list. :p I still will revert to frozen dinners when left alone, but I now read labels religiously and end up paying $6-7 each. :lol: I seem to remember DH saying early in our marriage that bringing a box of Bisquick into the house was grounds for divorce, and he proceeded to prove that the exact same thing can be made for pennies on the dollar, in exactly the amount needed, almost as fast.

bargoo
01-06-2013, 09:52 AM
When I was newly married I was not an accomplished cook but a snobbish one, nevertheless, I would not have used a pancake mix or a cake mix under any circumstances , I was a scratch cook , I want you to know. I have gotten over that .Now I am not at all ashamed to bake a Duncan Hines cake and take it to a potluck.

ICUwishing
01-06-2013, 10:05 AM
bargoo, for me it depends on the crowd being served. Heck yes, I will take shortcuts for people who eat without tasting. Baked goods ... especially. I can make a cheesecake that can make people cry, but you have to be worth the several hours' investment. ;)

krampus
01-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Mmmm, cake.

I'm fighting with myself to get off the couch and drink my coffee, then go to the gym. I think the SADs are finally setting in now that I can't distract myself with holiday cheer. Winter is the worst! I really need to find some winter-friendly hobbies that I'll actually partake in.

Sheila53
01-06-2013, 01:03 PM
I really need to find some winter-friendly hobbies that I'll actually partake in.

Me, too. I get cabin fever easily and tend to look in the refrigerator or pantry more often than necessary so I'd like an outside activity. I always think snowshoeing would be good--great exercise, fresh air, etc., etc. Then I start thinking about putting on all the necessary clothes, driving potentially icy roads, renting the snowshoes, and I end up just hanging around the house again. The times I've actually gone snowshoeing, I really enjoyed it.

saef
01-06-2013, 04:39 PM
Yes, it's hard to attain escape velocity from this apartment on winter weekends. But I managed to go to Manhattan to the IFC Center and see two movies. Today I'm indoors, catching up on cooking & laundry & etc. I'll go for a pedicure shortly. I, too, want to eat & eat today and I am sad that at 4:30, the sun is already starting to slide downward.

Steph7409
01-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I just discovered Leslie Sansone and spent an hour walking/jogging with her today, in the warmth of my living room. I'm surprised that I don't find her unbearably annoying, but the time really does zip by. And my HRM said I burned 450 calories, so it's all good.

I also managed to watch something educational on TV rather than fluff: The Men Who Built America (recorded months ago off the History Channel). It was about J.P Morgan, Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller. Fascinating.

ICUwishing
01-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Second day back under the 150 mark, so I think it's safe to say that the first two pounds were bloat. That was the easy part. :) My "playing" with the TRX over the weekend has me pretty sore. It shouldn't be too hard to get stronger from here! :lol:

Even though my head knows that the coldest weather is likely yet to come (it will be almost 50 late in the week, however), it gives me some comfort to know that we have already passed through the shortest day. Cold and bright is a lot easier to deal with - there are clothing technologies that can make the cold bearable, but living in the dark ... that is a lizard-brain thing.

Much sickness making the rounds. I'm being hypervigilant and the skin on my hands is in terrible shape for all the washing. :p

Megan1982
01-07-2013, 08:51 AM
*slinking back in to this thread approximately months after I declared I couldn't handle the pressure of being in losing mode and "took a break" for 6 months*

Hey guys, can I still play with you? I have decided/realized that Jan-March is actually the best time of year for me to lose. Besides the inevitable New Years post-holiday momentum, parties and social events are at a minimum in the winter, it's cold and easier to convince BF we should watch a movie on the couch instead of go out, and my heat-induced total lack of any kind of patience doesn't kick in until May or June.

I lost 4 lbs at this time last year and spent most of 2012 at 154. Vacation and holidays brought me back up to 160 (! hard to see that needle go back up to the 60's!), and after a week of eating clean in 2013 it's starting to go back down. I've let BF know I'm in losing mode, am working out my new exercise plans for the new year, and have been trying to make fitness-oriented plans with friends to stay motivated and accountable. (This has not worked well in the past since I'm more likely to work out than most friends, but I can try...)

bargoo
01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Megan, of course you can play . How well I understand what you are experiencing. BTDT.
Keep on keeping on !!

saef
01-07-2013, 08:59 AM
I'm in a strangely good mood this morning, probably because I'd been a little anxious about my first half-hour session at 6 AM this morning with a personal trainer -- a gangly 20-year-old guy at the gym who used to play high school football and is the go-to for strength training. And then, of course, it turned out to be fun. I wanted to do deadlifts and military presses with someone coaching me on my form. I worried I'd be a weakling. Turns out that, for starters, I can deadlift 60 pound barbell for many, many reps with no trouble at all. So yes, I can definitely go heavier, but he wants me to get the form down absolutely right and create some kind of muscle memory.

Also we tried the abductor/adductor machine and instantly discovered that I've got weaker hip muscles. I could press my legs together at much heavier weights than I could press them outward. The latter move was really tough. Could this be the imbalance that I've discovered in other exercise classes? So apparently all my spin classes don't take care of those leg muscles.

I've always found that once a worrisome thing is out of the way, I experience an incredible rebound effect and lightening of my mood. That's how I feel now. Doubtless it's temporary, as the whole weight of work is going to descend now that the holiday season is over.

But for the next 15 minutes or so, I am optimistic that throwing something new into my workout sessions could shake me up & help me jump the tracks without causing me to regress or go out of practice. I worry too much that "new" means not as good as the old. (That's the mindset of someone who collects antiques, right?) My magical thinking was that doing spin classes five days a week works for me, that it's the golden charm that keeps the weight off, and if I change it up, I will begin to deteriorate and regain. I really, really want to see that is not true.

saef
01-07-2013, 09:10 AM
I've let BF know I'm in losing mode, am working out my new exercise plans for the new year, and have been trying to make fitness-oriented plans with friends to stay motivated and accountable. (This has not worked well in the past since I'm more likely to work out than most friends, but I can try...)

See, if you were only up here in NY, I would definitely be up for heading to the gym together. There has to be someone like me near you. You just don't know that person yet. You cannot be the only person like you for miles & miles & miles ... can you?

I'm glad to see you in this thread: Welcome.

Oh, and I agree, this is the best time of year to work on getting healthier. I think it's because for a few weeks or months, I'm in step with everyone around me. They're all penitent -- heading for the gym, bringing their lunches to work, formulating resolutions. It gets harder at those times of year when they're all saying: "Indulge yourself, we're all doing it." They've backed off from that now, temporarily. (Just wait till Valentine's Day ...) It is so much easier psychologically when there is no herd mentality or peer pressure or whatever you want to call it, and you don't feel like you're struggling with some group-created norm.

traveling michele
01-07-2013, 10:36 AM
Glad you had such a good experience with the trainer Saef-- you are strong!

Welcome back Megan. I'm back to work today but still have my dd's at home. I confessed to dh this morning that I'm ready for them to leave so we can get back to "normal", and he agreed!

Shannon in ATL
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
I've exercised and managed my diet two days in a row now. Woo! Have a workout and a healthy dinner planned for tonight, we'll see how it works out on that front. LOL

Hey Megan! :wave:

Saef - glad the trainer went well. I also have an imbalance in my hip muscles - I try to do yoga moves that will strengthen that area, but still have trouble with the outward motion as well.

Michele - when do dd's leave?

Sheila53
01-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I finally got on the scale this morning and weighed exactly what I thought I would weigh, which is 8 lbs. higher than what I weighed before the holidays began. The roll around my stomach is a great indicator of how much I weigh, and I've gotten good at reading it (sadly). There's definitely truth to the saying that it's 80% diet and 20% exercise because I exercised throughout the holidays, but obviously didn't eat well. I've started to read Brain Over Binge to see if I can gain some insight--got great reviews on Amazon.com.

My "playing" with the TRX over the weekend has me pretty sore. It shouldn't be too hard to get stronger from here!

My DH and I have taken a beginning TRX class twice, and both times we've been incredibly sore, like ibuprofen sore. And I lift weights three times a week already. I don't know what it is about TRX, but it really gets you--and I mean that in a good way. Michelle Obama arms, here I come! I highly recommend a class if you can find one. I have a TRX in my garage, and I was doing some things on it, but I've learned a lot more exercises and techniques from the class.

alinnell
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
I finally got on the scale this morning and weighed exactly what I thought I would weigh, which is 8 lbs. higher than what I weighed before the holidays began. The roll around my stomach is a great indicator of how much I weigh, and I've gotten good at reading it (sadly).

Doesn't that suck that we can determine our weight by the flab roll on our tummies? I'm pretty darn good at it as well. If only my constant awareness of it hadn't allowed me to overdo it and add to it's content!

So I just joined MyFitnessPal. It's telling me to shoot for 1450 calories per day to lose 1/2 a pound a week. It's slow going but I think it should work.

traveling michele
01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
Michele - when do dd's leave?

Younger dd goes back to Arizona tomorrow. Older dd leaves Saturday I think?? Dh leaves Friday as well. Too much coming and going to keep everyone straight.

I'm trying to flush out my holidays with water, tea, coffee, etc. Making work tricky with all of my bathroom breaks!

Steph7409
01-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Sheila, I've been slowly reading Brain Over Binge (it's on my Kindle,which I tend to use only while at the vet or waiting for my car to be fixed) and have found it interesting but her "ah ha!" moment didn't strike me as all that revelatory. I know the answer is pretty much "just say no" but I keep hoping someone will tell me how to do that. It ain't gonna happen.

saef, good luck with your personal trainer. I lift weights at home so don't have access to a professional but a former co-worker has offered to help me set up a new program. I've got a bad leg so have been concentrating on upper body stuff but I need some guidance. I'll never have Michele Obama arms but I'd like to be able to drag two bags of mulch through the yard, rather than just one.

Time to hit the recumbent bike and then the weights.

Megan1982
01-08-2013, 09:00 AM
After over a week stalemate my holiday lbs have been whooshing off the last 3 days. The scale read 155 this AM, 1# more to go to my pre-holiday etc weight. I would say I'm excited, really it's more like relief that this weight is finally leaving and I'm not on track to gain weight (again). I always lose in about once-a-month whooshes followed by several weeks of the scale not budging. Please remind me of that in a few weeks when I'm frustrating by the lack of scale movement. I just have to be patient and wait for the whoosh. :p

I wogged with the dog yesterday. It was so frustrating to try and slog through some jogging with her, she kept pushing my pace and that makes it so hard for me to keep going. I get too winded and end up walking. But I stuck with it for almost 2 miles of the wog yesterday, and walked the other 2+ish miles. I'm trying to run a 5K in March so I need to keep this up!

Saef, I would absolutely work out with you! I do have several coworkers who are usually up for a lunchtime walk on the days we're in the office. I have had friends who are workout buddies when I lived elsewhere and it was both more enjoyable and more motivating. Glad you had fun with this trainer. Yes, good form is very important. Despite always trying to be aware of good form, bad form was what caused my shoulder troubles last year. I've seen a lunge exercise sequence where instead of just lunging straight back and forth, you lunge forwards and backwards at different angles. (So instead of stepping straight forward into a lunge, you step to 2:00, back, sideways to 3:00, etc. and go "around the clock") Maybe that would help those outer muscles.

ICUwishing
01-08-2013, 09:31 AM
Megan, I'm right with you on returning to a saner scale level! At 148.5, I need roughly 2# to get back to mid-December. If nothing else, I have arrested the alarming increase in the weekly average (phew). Good job with the wog; I sometimes think I'd like to have a fuzzy running companion. My bunnies are sprinters! I just had an email from DS's math/science teacher, who's also the soccer, track and basketball coach ... and basketball practice starts next week with a LOT more running workouts. So maybe I can run with DS. He's fast, but he burns out faster. :p I think I can take him on a 3.3 hilly loop we have. :chin:

shannon, two days is a very good start. How is today going?

saef, how are your hips today? I'm always weirdly happy when I'm sore in a new way. Every muscle should have its opportunity for attention. ;)

Sheila, in a few months I may have enough strength to seriously play with the thing. I am amazed by the amount of info out on Youtube for it! DS uses one in gym class, so he's been helpful as well. I don't plan to lift weights beyond body-weight exercises, as the whole equipment acquisition and gym thing just doesn't work for me. Gravity is available everywhere and is free. :D

allison, I was losing a pound every 5 weeks (even slower yet) on 1700, which was the maintenance level for my dream weight of 140. Good luck!

michele, liquids are a great strategy for avoiding too much sitting, aren't they? :lol:

Steph, my goals are much more functional too. I used to sling around 80# bags of softener salt - I don't know if I could get back there, but I sure can try. It bugs me that 30# bags of bunny litter are an effort.

No exercise yesterday; Mondays are simply too time constrained and I can't/won't cut my sleep back for it. Tonight has some opportunities ... if I'm efficient and execute the changes I want to make.

alinnell
01-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Scale was lower this morning but still over pre-holiday weight. I'd like to be at pre-holiday weight by the time the cruise starts. At that point I'll be where I was after the last cruise. I don't plan on overdoing anything this cruise.

I didn't get in my exercise last night as I planned. There was just too much other stuff to get done around here.

CherryPie99
01-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I think that it's time for my denial to go bye-bye. My weight has been up for a few days now and I've been blaming salt and hard workouts for water retention. But I weighed in at 119.8 this morning, so I think I have to face that I've gained about 3 pounds. I've been good, but not great, over the weekend and yesterday.

I have been doing quite well with exercise, but not with food. Time to buckle down!!

Sounds like everyone else is getting right back on track!! That's awesome!

Jen

traveling michele
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
I also saw a slight whoosh so I'm hoping for more soon. I'm almost back to my redline!

I took dd to an endocrinologist this morning to see if we can get any answers to her weight gain. They're doing blood work primarily for thyroid and diabetes. We are both praying that they find something that is treatable.

Steph7409
01-08-2013, 09:25 PM
CherryPie, the exercise part is always easier for me than the food part. Even at my highest weight, I exercised regularly. I try to tell myself that eating less should be easier than exercising more, but it's just not true.

I did 60 minutes with Leslie Sansone tonight, mostly jogging, and it was a good workout. I'm hoping this will help when I get back to running in the spring.

michele, good luck with those test results.

Megan1982
01-09-2013, 08:50 AM
CherryPie, the exercise part is always easier for me than the food part. Even at my highest weight, I exercised regularly. I try to tell myself that eating less should be easier than exercising more, but it's just not true.

You're not alone! I'm the same way.

Michele, how long do you expect it to take before you hear the doctor's results? I missed it - is this younger DD or older?

Re: fitness buddies. A friend who lives ~70 miles away knows I'm trying to get back into running, and she is also trying to run more. She emailed me yesterday to encourage me and talk about her progress. I asked her if she would run a 5K with me in March to help motivate me/keep me accountable, and she agreed. It is nice to have some additional encouragement, even e-couragement. We know all about that, don't we? I have never been big on the "declare your intentions to the world" idea in diet and fitness, for fear of teasing, judgement, and the whole "what if I fail" aspect. I hadn't really thought about the encouragement aspect. :)

Food & exercise are POP here. ;)

CherryPie99
01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
I was RIGOROUSLY good with food and exercise yesterday and was rewarded today with a 1 POUND INCREASE this morning. From how long I've been at this, I know that this happens but it is so frustrating!

BTW, I wanted to let you all know that I've been on this site for a long time and it was valuable on my journey losing weight. But since I've entered maintenance, I feel most "at home" here and look forward every single day to seeing everyone's posts and learning how they are doing and getting support.

So I just wanted to say THANK YOU!

Jen

bargoo
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
I feel most "at home" here and look forward every single day to seeing everyone's posts and learning how they are doing and getting support.

So I just wanted to say THANK YOU!

Jen

Ditto., and thanks for your contribution,Jen.

alinnell
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
So my daughter has decided she wants to be a wellness coach. She's been taking a lot of psychology classes--mainly geared toward positive psychology--and recently read about becoming a wellness coach. She's working on her website now (she's had this website for some time, but seems to have taken out all the old stuff and is building the wellness coach site). I invite you to take a look and let me know what you think.
Wellness coach (http://www.danalinnell.com)

bargoo
01-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Allison, I like it. I especially like that she talks about her own weight issues and successes. I am afraid that sometimes people in the health field have no experience of their own to share.
Good luck, Dana .

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 10:22 AM
How did I miss posting in here yesterday? Monday ended fantastically well, yesterday was alright. I exercised in the morning, DH & I went to a movie where I had planned on popcorn for dinner and maybe a small snack when we got home. Well, we ended up having dinner afterwards after all after some driving around drama. I controlled it fairly well, but I'm pretty sure I went over my calorie plan. Seafood and veggie kabobs over rice. Ate mostly veggies and seafood. I've had the chicken kabobs and thought hte seafood would be the same plain grilled with just a little brush of oil and spice. Instead they had what looked like panko tossed on the fish, shrimp and scallops (not breaded, just tossed on like an accent?) and then some liquid that I thought was butter but I later realized was olive oil and spices, so maybe the same as the chicken? Not terrible, though. And managed to get out without a piece of cake the size of my head, even though I wanted one. So I'll count yesterday a win for temptation and planning.

Jen - this section of the forum has been a big part of my life the last few years, too. I feel like I know the maintainers here, and some others who used to post here who I miss, even though I'll never meet them in person. I look forward to reading people's posts every day, too. You are a part of that family now, for better or worse. LOL

Allison - I'm going to go look at DD's website as soon as I finish here. I think that is a great goal for her.

Megan - declaring intentions is a big thing for me. If I put it out publicly that I'm going to do a thing I'm much more likely to do that thing than not. Challenges where I have to report what I've done help with that. I ran my first 5k length run in one of Gary's EZMoney 5k! threads several years ago, and it was because midwife and I had both posted that we were going to do it that day so I had to be able to post in the thread that I'd finished it. While I was running my first half marathon you guys here were posting in the threads I'd mentioned it in asking me about it, so I left my house to cheers of good luck and returned to questions asking how I did. It definitely helps. Even virtual encouragement is a fabulous motivator. I remember cheering you on for weight competitions a few years ago, as a matter of fact. :) so, 5k in March is awesome!

Becky - Did you make your exercise last night? I have a Jungle Gym XT in my garage, which is a knockoff of the TRX trainer. I don't use it nearly enough, and need to learn more. I may look for a class like Sheila's.

Steph - exercise is easier than food for me, too. I agree, you wouldn't think so, would you? I used to use the Leslie Sansone workouts, they will be a good transition until you can get back running I think.

Michele - dd has struggled so much with her weight, I hope that they find something that can help.

Sheila - I also can read the stomach meter. 80% food and 20% exercise here, too. Wow. I hope the book helps, I might check it out, too.

Good day all!

traveling michele
01-09-2013, 10:36 AM
I was RIGOROUSLY good with food and exercise yesterday and was rewarded today with a 1 POUND INCREASE this morning. From how long I've been at this, I know that this happens but it is so frustrating!

Jen

Ditto here on the scale-- how rude!

Megan-- this is older dd. She was a normal weight until about 6 years ago when she was diagnosed with Tourette's Syndrome and also depression/anxiety. Over the next several years she was put on many different drugs to treat the Tourette's-- none of them worked except to cause weight gain. The anti-depressants also caused weight gain as did migraine meds that she was on for four years. Now she is off of all of the meds and while her weight is now stalled (rather than increasing), she put on over 100 pounds during this time period. Needless to say, she is horribly frustrated, her health is suffering, etc. So, while you never hope for a problem-- in this case-- we do hope she gets some hope and explanation for all of the gains/ difficulties in losing. We hope to get some results Thursday or Friday. She leaves Saturday and I'd love for her to be hopeful before she goes.

bargoo
01-09-2013, 10:44 AM
michele, Yor DD has had more than her share of problems to deal with. I give her credit for trying to do whatever she can to improve her life. When I was her age I thought it was a fate worse than death to be different than my peers, other than migraines and weight problems I cannot share with her what she has had to endure. How is she doing with her dog ?

saef
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
You daily weighers ... I keep thinking of going over to your way of doing things, but I used to weigh compulsively at one time in my life, so I started off this new, healthier effort by limiting myself to a single weigh-in every Friday. Maybe I should get on the scale more often, now that it's no longer on my "have to do it or I'll die" list of compulsions. That would certainly give me more to talk about here.

I am suspecting I'd be heavier, as I could make dents in my ankles with my fingers last night. Anytime I can do that, I'm up three to five pounds. I know myself so well: This is from drinking diet Fresca several times yesterday and also from using overly salty vegetable broth when I made quinoa.

I think this forum is like that old fable about stone soup. Someone puts some water & a stone into a pot and declares she's making soup. But it's nothing until others come along, one by one, and contribute a carrot or a potato or a leek or a piece of chicken or whatever. And then at the end they all sit down together to a delicious bowl of soup, which they collectively made. That's how our forum comes together.

Mudpie
01-09-2013, 06:14 PM
saef re daily weighing - it drove me nuts! But I found once a week wasn't enough to keep me reasonably on track. So I opted for Mon, Wed., and Fri. weigh-ins and that seems to be working for me.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Steph7409
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I have to weigh daily or I start to fall back into my old way of thinking (i.e. deluding myself). I went off the rails in December (got fired, started a new job, it was cookie season) and seeing the number go up helped me get back on track. I almost skipped a couple of days, when I knew it would be bad, but I'm glad I didn't. Seeing that number every day takes away some of its negative power over me.

Megan, good luck with your 5K. I'm hoping to do one in the spring, so perhaps you can encourage me when I declare my intentions!

Shannon, I'm with you and Sheila on the stomach meter. I can feel every ounce of the weight I've gained there.

Jen and Michele, I too had a couple of very good days and gained a pound. Rude, indeed! I'm down almost 2 today, though. I only accept the wacky results when they're good.

I'm off to do some Pilates. I bought myself a new mat and little yoga socks, so I'm all excited!

alinnell
01-09-2013, 07:42 PM
I tried weekly weigh-ins. It didn't work for me. I need daily accountability.

bargoo
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
I am another daily weigher, I get a little antsy if, for some reason I am not able to weigh. If the scale is going down I want to rejoice if it is going up I want to be able to take action right away.
When I first went on a diet I was obsessed with weighing , I would weigh several times a day, if I got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom , I weighed. In order to break this obsession I locked my scale in the trunk of my car , this gave me the opportunity to think about it before getting on the scale for the umpteenth time in a day.

ICUwishing
01-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Weighing daily, but putting the importance on the weeky average, is working very well for me. It cuts the "noise" down.

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
I weigh daily and plot on a chart but try to focus on a monthly average. I've done better with that in the past than I'm doing right now.

I'm pretty sure I have strep. Fever, sore throat with white spots, body aches, nausea. Doctor tomorrow I guess.

Megan1982
01-10-2013, 09:11 AM
I think this forum is like that old fable about stone soup. Someone puts some water & a stone into a pot and declares she's making soup. But it's nothing until others come along, one by one, and contribute a carrot or a potato or a leek or a piece of chicken or whatever. And then at the end they all sit down together to a delicious bowl of soup, which they collectively made. That's how our forum comes together.

Love this! I swear, I feel like I'm the one throwing the first stone in. :p

I weigh-in daily, log it, and am trying to log my food the evening before to make sure my food plan is ballpark within my allotted calorie range. Sometimes I'm tempted to weigh in more often. I don't give in to that desire any more, and when I do I know I'm getting too obsessed. Multiple weigh-ins per day, usually coupled with really obsessive calorie counting and checking my log many times per day, presage a fall from plan. I have tried to weigh in/be less strict about counting, and I try to get away with things and trick myself. Everyone has to find what works for them, and drives them the least crazy. :dizzy:

Steph, thanks! You should definitely sign up for your 5K, I'll cheer you on!

Shannon, sorry you're sick. Get thee to the doctor! There's lots of sickness going around right now.

I'm also fighting another cold but it hasn't been bad enough to keep me from work or my regular routine. I gave it to BF also. We've been trying to eat our vitamin C and get to bed at reasonable times.

Michele, thanks for getting me up to speed. I remember the rest about your DD but somehow missed the weight gain aspect. I'm sure the stress alone she's been through would cause her body to hold onto some extra weight, let alone medication side effects. Let us know the results of the tests, and yes, how is she doing with her new companion? I assume he visited with her for the holidays.

traveling michele
01-10-2013, 11:01 AM
Owen, my dd's service dog, is amazing. We are seeing such a change in her already. She is much more willing to go places and do things (at least until she got a horrible cold). He is at our house until they leave Saturday and she is planning on bringing him to my school tomorrow to visit for a bit. There are many teachers who helped support her in obtaining the dog (as well as many of you here!) and they will get a chance to meet him.

ICUwishing
01-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I've generated a sawtooth for the week as well - a 0.5. It doesn't drive me nuts, and I can't remember if I've ever tried weighing more than once a day. Mostly because that would be yet another variable, and would make things even more complicated than they already are ... and as I've said before, I'm awfully lazy. :p

Lots of illnesses around here too. Something's trying to "get" me - I just slam the vit C to it, and throw in an extra hour of sleep. For scratchy throat, I go straight to the whiskey/honey/lemon combo. It hasn't failed me for years. Strep, I recognize, is a whole different beast and needs the attention of great antibiotics. Hope you get 'em and have a swift recovery, Shannon!

Opportunity has come up. My employer has required us this year, in order to get the credits we put toward offsetting our health care costs, to do "challenges". We've all been mailed pedometers (quite nice ones, actually), and must complete 2 of 6 multi-week challenges. 1 of them is getting a flu shot, and thatain'tgonnahappen ... the other 5, well, I'm intrigued. We can work in teams or alone. It's kinda cool. Heading off to a meeting to learn more. The first challenge starts Monday, which is basically just committing to an online entry of exercise minutes and steps taken. Could this be my entry door?

Shannon in ATL
01-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Becky - the health challenges are a neat idea. A lot of insurance companies are doing that kid of thing. DH's company is doing a biggest loser challenge for credit with the insurance company for the next six weeks. Definitely take advantage of the push to exercise! :)

Megan - i have been known to weigh more than once a day. It is a sign that I'm starting to lose it, I think. You stay healthy down there! There is a lot of flu in Florida.

Michele - I'm so glad Owen is doing so well!

My strep has been confirmed. DH just made me a tray with some soup and hot tea to take my antibiotics. Woo.

bargoo
01-10-2013, 06:21 PM
Shannon, so sorry you have strep but how nice that your DH can take care of you.

Megan1982
01-11-2013, 09:05 AM
In the spirit of trying to be more accepting of what life throws at me, when BF told me yesterday at 4:15 that he forgot about a surprise party for 2 friends we should be ready for at 6:00, I cheerfully acquiesed and agreed to put away the slow cooker meal that had been simmering all day that we'll eat tonight now, cut my exercise with the dog short, and tried to go be social with his friends. I had a few awkward moments but with all the noise etc I doubt anyone noticed. I did eat off plan foods but didn't overeat, and skipped the cake, logged it when I got home. 2300 cals for the day. Right back OP food-wise today and will compensate with some extra mileage on today's dog wog. I knew when he told me where the party was there would be few healthy/good options, so I tried to accept that this would be a higher calorie occasion (rather than let it upset me more), and told myself I'd be right back OP today. I'm 1# up today, but we'll see if my attempt at a more laid-back attitude helps or hinders on the scale long-term. That is my high cal day of the week, though, so now I really need to stay OP over the weekend and get my exercise in.

Michele, that is so great that DD is doing so well with Owen!

Becky, I kind of like this health credit idea. And sometimes things come at us at certain times for a reason.

Shannon, I hope those antibiotics kick in and you start to feel better quickly. I think I'm on the upswing with this cold but there are so many people sick around me.

bargoo
01-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Megan, I find that one day off plan usually does no harm. The danger with me is stopping it at one day.

saef
01-11-2013, 09:49 AM
Megan, I think getting in a practice session in flexibility is worth that one pound, the way a yoga session in which you practiced flexibility would be worth one pound of retained fluids in sore muscles. As someone who is lousy at spontaneity and would've balked in the same situation & wanted to stay home, as planned, I recognize what it probably took for you to accompany your boyfriend. Here is one small action that is affirming your earlier resolution. I say good on you.

As for me, my changeup of my exercise routine has left me sore in uncounted places this morning. I'm about a pound & a half higher on the scale than I was last Friday. This is probably partly from sore muscles but the more likely culprit is handfuls of unsalted but oily peanuts that I've snacked on at my desk while concentrating on a stressful, two-hour deadline rewrite and also on incessant desk visits and instant messages pinging through from the new trainee with whom I've been working on his first document.

Oh, this trainee. He's driving me to the can of peanuts, rather than to drink. (Rather, I am letting him do this ... ) He has just two settings: arrogant and abjectly frightened. When he got lost on this assignment he refused to ask for directions, just like the old cliche about men, & said he was fine when I checked in with him, & he just kept doing stuff all on his own. Unfortunately, it was the wrong stuff. Alas, this ruggedly individualistic, I-can-figure-it-out-myself is not a good attitude to have when you're being trained. Particularly when you have only been on a job for two weeks.

This attitude surfaced during his interview and I brought it up with my manager, and we discussed it thoroughly. But she wanted to hire someone before the new year took away our headcount. So she hired him anyway. And so naturally he's been time-consuming to train. But I am learning from him. The most difficult trainees in the past have been the ones who lacked confidence and needed constant pep talks and were afraid to make a move or write an email without checking in with me first or asking for my help in composing the email. But this guy is the total opposite of that. I am almost glad he keeps screwing up, as I hope this instills a little humility in him.

As for me, I am so annoyed at that pound & a half. I'm going to try out weighing more frequently. Maybe it will help me figure out earlier when I am going the wrong way. Or at least give more context than a once-a-week weigh-in offers.

traveling michele
01-11-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm impressed by your flexibility Megan!

Dd wants to go to a movie tonight before she leaves tomorrow and she is grumbling that I still want to squeeze yoga in before. I checked the movie times and locations to find a movie we both wanted to see at a time that works. It will mean my dinner will be a snack at the movie (healthy and brought by me) but maybe that will help my weigh in tomorrow morning as the scale is still being quite rude.

Saef-- I like Dagmar's idea of weighing a few times a week. Maybe try that and see if it works better for you? I admit to weighing twice a day (sometimes more) and I know I need to cut it out.

Sheila53
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
So after all this talk of weighing daily, I weighed today after weighing on Monday, and I'm up .5 lbs. While I don't feel the urge to give up, I am rather disappointed that all the exercise and good eating I've done this week has resulted in a gain. I'll weigh again Monday and see what happens. I know that I lose weight well when I don't exercise and eat right, but I love being able to feel and see my muscles so no chance I'm quitting lifting just to see the scale move. Still, it is annoying not to have that scale number reward.

Saef, your trainee probably would drive me to peanuts and drink!

Megan, I'm impressed by the laidback attitude. Isn't that what "normal" people do? Spontaneity in eating situations is so tough for most of us--bravo!

bargoo
01-11-2013, 02:27 PM
If you are worried about weighing daily and seeing a gain, remember it is perfectly normal for weight to fluctuate. Mine will vary as much as 2 pounds either way, up or down. I am not concerned about normal fluctuation. I get concerned when I know I have either binged or just eaten too many calories and if I gained I know I deserve it.Hate it, though.

ICUwishing
01-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Just an idle thought on the daily weighing: If we are maintaining, then half the days will be up and half will be down (not counting those rare moments when everything just stays the same from day to day). Being irritated 50% of the time is not ... practical. ;)

What methinks would be kind of nifty would be a scale that works like the cumulative gas mileage meters on the newer cars. We get all tied up in the "instantaneous mileage", when what we really have to keep an eye on is the long-term trends. Sure, it's fun to coast downhill and watch that thing peg out at 99mpg (whoosh), but pretending it'll go on forever is a little unrealistic. :) If I weigh more tomorrow than today, oh well. If I weigh more next week than this week ... uh oh. A couple of weeks of upward movement? Reaction definitely required.

I'm in the "reaction required" camp at the moment.

megan - that choice was a huge one, and you deserve kudos!

Steph7409
01-11-2013, 07:33 PM
ICU, I'm also in the "reaction required" camp. I feel like I'm getting a wee bit more control over my eating but I'm still eating too much to lose what I want to lose.

Megan, congrats from me as well. Flexibility is hard for those of us who feel easily knocked off track.

saef, I'll be interested to know if your new trainee learns humility. That would be unusual, I think. But you're right, timidity is as bad as arrogance. I am sometimes amazed at how many people seem incapable of working through a problem on their own.

I did another hour with Leslie Sansone this evening, while I pondered whether to bail on my new job. I think I'm going to interview somewhere else next week, for a job quite similar to my old one. I wasn't as ready for a big change as I thought, apparently. Oh well!

Shannon in ATL
01-11-2013, 08:02 PM
Sheila - if you increased your exercise significantly this week you'll likely be seeing a little water upswing in the weight.

Steph - job changes are always hard, especially when it is to something new.

I typically do well with looking at averages with the daily weighing. I tried going back to every few days and it made me too anxious. DH got me a withings scale for Christmas and it automatically updates my weight to my graph. I was afraid it would give me one more thing to obsess about, but oddly it has made me less weight anxious.

alinnell
01-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Shannon~a friend said she got a scale that sent her weight to MyFitnessPal every day. I asked which scale, but she never got back to me. I'm assuming it's similar to yours. I like that!!!! One less thing to have to log! While I'm liking the one DD got me for Christmas (with the .1 increments instead of .5), it doesn't have WIFI.

Mudpie
01-12-2013, 06:21 AM
Megan :bravo:. That was really well done re BF throwing you off and you recovering so beautifully.

I need to do more of that. DH brought movies, beer and chips last night to "celebrate" finishing the 2nd part of his tax exam. I joined in without a whole lot of protest and had some with him. I drank 2 of the 4 beers he brought for me, ate one small bowl of chips, and today will drink lots of water and eat lightly to flush the "party" out of my system. I'm trying to ignore the little nagging guilty voice in my head.

Didn't bother getting on the scale this morning. Some of you have said you know how much you've gained by your stomach? With me it's my breasts :dizzy:. I'm up about 2 lbs, going by how "the girls" look this morning. :p

Good Saturday all! I'm working and doing errands - ho hum. At least it will be warm! :sunny:

Dagmar :beach:

bargoo
01-12-2013, 06:55 AM
Not warm in Sunny California today's forecast Low 26 degrees high 49 degrees.

CherryPie99
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Bargoo, we are forecast to have a high of 46 today and everyone is talking about our heat wave!!!!

After a week of eating extremely well and working out like crazy only to have the scale be a complete B***H and show high numbers, it finally dropped this morning putting me at 118.2. My goal is to be around 117, and hover between 116-119 so I am back in the saddle.

Jen

WardHog
01-12-2013, 08:56 AM
We're supposed to have a high of 72 today and tomorrow. The daffodils are coming up already.

saef
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
My bra felt tight yesterday, my feet were puffy and my stomach lost its definition. I weighed this morning, trying out more frequent weighing, and was plunged into despair at the number: 149.1. My first irrational thought was that I shouldn't have been talking about magical 150 the other day, as this had given my body some bright idea about regain.

So I'm in a somber mood today. I forgot about that effect of frequent weigh-ins: They start regulating my moods.

We'll see if this is the new reality or some sodium freak-out.

bargoo
01-12-2013, 12:04 PM
My bra felt tight yesterday, my feet were puffy and my stomach lost its definition. I weighed this morning, trying out more frequent weighing, and was plunged into despair at the number: 149.1. My first irrational thought was that I shouldn't have been talking about magical 150 the other day, as this had given my body some bright idea about regain.

So I'm in a somber mood today. I forgot about that effect of frequent weigh-ins: They start regulating my moods.

We'll see if this is the new reality or some sodium freak-out.

You will only know by trying this for awhile, maybe weighing everday causes you too much anxiety Time will tell.
I am just the opposite, I get very antsy if I don't weigh everyday. What if I don't weigh for a week and step on the scale and see I have gained 3 pounds, I will be sure that if I had weighed every day I would have been able to stop that weight gain in it's tracks. Once a day for me and only once a day, forwarned means being forarmed for me.

Shannon in ATL
01-12-2013, 04:13 PM
I can't believe I'm sick through the 72 weekend. Meh. I should be outside.

neurodoc
01-12-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok, I'm now several days on the far side of my shoulder surgery, off Vicodin, and ready to start posting again.

I'm all for the almost-daily weigh in. It definitely keeps me accountable, ESPECIALLY when I don't really want to because I've been overindulgent. There's something about the scale doing that 2-3 pound overnight jump to put the fear of g*d in me the next few days. ICU: you're absolutely right that if we were maintaining, we should expect just as many up days as down days, but all of us on this thread are trying to lose weight, so we should be seeing more consistent decreases if we're doing things right.

As for me, I'm stuck stuck stuck since I can't do any form of exercise other than walking for the next 2 weeks, and no upper-body work for 6 weeks. I am trying very hard not to think about how much muscle I will have lost by then, and how hard I will need to work to get back to where I am now. OTOH, I have not been able to exercise full-out since I went in for bladder surgery on Sept. 7th, and if this surgery worked, I will finally be able to work out full-tilt and pain-free by March.

It was a beautiful day here too- in the high 50s around midday. Took the dog and the 2 older DSs for a walk altogether >:)

Megan1982
01-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the applause, but I guess flexibility only goes so far. BF and I went to some acquaintances' house at about 5 tonight to watch the football game. It was last minute, but I had no plans and otherwise we would have been sitting at the house alone so I was up for some social activity. Determined to stay OP tonight, I drank water, didn't eat any of the chips, and made pleasant conversation with a few people I know on a superficial level. Did I mention I do not care about football one bit? At 8 he wanted to switch to another fb party for the next game, but I was hungry and wanted to go home to eat the healthy OP leftovers I had planned. He is just around the block at the other party, but I insisted on getting dropped off at home if he was going to go. I was done with my flexibility. I was hungry and hangry not far behind! :dizzy:

At least I got in a really nice 5 mile hike with the dog earlier today.

Dagmar, perhaps what you did with DH was indeed being flexible. I mean, an unplanned off-plan eating occasion came up. You had two beers, not 4, a small bowl of chips, not half a bag, and are balancing that out with extra water today. That sounds pretty good to me!

Saef, you don't have to weigh daily! If weekly weigh-ins work for you, no need to change if it will make your brain crazy.

neurdoc, glad to hear the surgery went ok. The month before my foot surgery several years ago when I couldn't exercise was really, really tough for me so I can relate. March really isn't that far away, is it? Think of this time as a time you can give your body to rest and really get it to 100% health, so you will be ready to go when you're cleared for exercise.

I hear BF pulling up now. Have a good night, all.

Mudpie
01-13-2013, 05:47 AM
Megan Hangry? :D What a good word - I'm going to borrow it from you if you don't mind.

I have the "duty" visit with my father this morning. He was quite subdued and reasonable when we saw him on New Year's Day but has, according to my SIL, gone back to his ranting now.

I really don't want to do this but I figure duty visiting will be over for the month of January if I go this morning. And I have to work today (dogwalk and a one night sleep-over) so I can bail really early if he starts ranting. I'm taking along a photo album - try to keep him busy talking about his past.

He never asks about our lives - just starts in about himself. I never quite realized how egotistical he is. But I guess it follows with the general attitude of bullying and thinking he's "above" everyone else.

Dagmar :(

bargoo
01-13-2013, 08:34 AM
nuerodoc said something in a recent post that rang a bell with me. She said we on this thread are all wanting to lose weight, and I agree, to a certain degree this is true. I do want to lose a few pounds to reach my vanity weight, BUT the MOST important thing with me......I do not want to gain !!!!

saef
01-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Weight was 146.5 on Sunday morning, a drop of 2.6 pounds from Saturday morning and lower than Friday morning. I had a lot of errand-running yesterday, wasn't home much, and didn't snack much. Especially I had almost no sodium. So maybe there is something to be said for this daily weigh-in.

Today I was indecisive about going into the city but realized I have too much housework to catch up on and probably could use some quiet time. Since I believe improved life management means improved weight management, we'll see if today bears out my theory.

Neurodoc, when I had an enforced break from my exercise schedule two years ago, due to the horrendous inner-ear infection that caused me to lose most of the hearing in my left ear and also my inner-ear balance mechanism, I regained about seven pounds immediately, then my weight stabilized at the higher weight, and then, once I resumed my exercise schedule, I think it took about four to five weeks for that gain to drop off. Does that sound less scarey to you? I was actually less hungry when I exercised less, which is probably homeostasis at work. That said, if anything were to sideline me from my gym-going, I would most definitely freak the &^%$# out. So hang on, woman.

neurodoc
01-13-2013, 05:15 PM
I'm planning to return to low-impact cardio 2 weeks after my surgery (which was last Wednesday) to hopefully not regain more than 1-2 pounds. And of course, doing my damndest to keep calories at/below 1300/day (my non-exercise maintenance level) which, as saef says, is easier to do when you're not doing any exercise and have less appetite. My bigger sorrow is definitely the loss of muscle and definition that will occur from lack of weight training for 6 weeks.

CherryPie99
01-13-2013, 08:08 PM
When I was off 4 weeks last year after my skin removal surgery, I was shocked at how much strength I lost! Incidentally I lost almost no cardio. The good news is that it came back really fast for me and I'm sure it will for you, too!!

Megan1982
01-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Patience, Megan, patience... right after I celebrated last week that the scale had taken a dip downward and released the holiday/vaca weight, it bobbled back up, and had been playing around inbetween. It went back down to 156 today, but that was after a really low calorie day of 1200 cals yesterday. I need to accept that I did some real damage during the holidays and vacation and it will take time to come off (now, how to make my emotional side accept what my logical side tells me?). I'm having a flashback to last year, when it took me 3 months to lose 4 lbs, or the year before, or... part of the reason I've given up a few times trying to get this regain off is that it is really hard for me to get "real" weight off at this point. Much harder than it was the first time around. So I must be patient.

Daily weighing might not be the best for me right now. I might switch to weekly weighing and see how that goes. Of course I will still log my calories & exercise daily.

Dagmar, hangry = hungry + angry = the point when you're so hungry, you get angry and cranky, if you haven't figured that out. I didn't coin the phrase and seem to hear around a lot. My BF knows to feed me when I get hangry.

Neurodoc, hang in there. This will be a tough time but you will get through it.

Sheila53
01-14-2013, 11:02 AM
. I need to accept that I did some real damage during the holidays and vacation and it will take time to come off (now, how to make my emotional side accept what my logical side tells me?).

This. My scale was down one measly pound today and that was after going up .5 during the week so really I lost .5 lbs. for the week. Patience, patience. I really would like one of those elusive "whoosh" moments.

Love the word "hangry." My DD started using it a while ago so I feel pretty "with it" that I knew what hangry meant. :)

You will lose muscle, Neurodoc, but it comes back pretty darn fast once you start exercising again. If you lift weights, just don't start lifting the same amount you were before you quit. I got bad tendonitis from trying to get back to where I was too quickly, which knocked me out for another few weeks. For me, losing muscle made the scale go down while I was recuperating. Scale number definitely doesn't define fit and healthy. You'll get your Michelle Obama arms back in no time. ;)

saef
01-14-2013, 11:58 AM
I didn't weigh in this morning, as I overslept by about a half-hour & had my mind on getting coffee & breakfast before heading out to the gym. But I will try to do it again tomorrow morning. I just want to experiment on this science project a little. My insight is that since I don't weigh or measure, or count calories, probably I require greater amounts of data from other areas.

bargoo
01-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Up a little the last few days, still under goal , but barely.

Megan1982
01-16-2013, 08:48 AM
It has been quiet here the past few days. I've been trucking along, POP food and exercise-wise. I find I'm able to stick to a slightly lower calorie level right now than normally when I'm in losing mode - closer to 1400-50 cals rather than 1600 or so. I think the difference is that I'm not strength training right now, which I miss, but I have tried so hard in the past and never ever been able to lose weight while strength training.

The scale has been bobbling ever so slightly downward for the past two days. But I really do need to stop weighing daily bc TOM is coming, and that's always discouraging. Food, exercise, etc has been POP and the only improvement I could wish for would be to get more sleep. Poor BF is sick, but that makes him snore, which keeps me from sleeping. I feel like a terrible person constantly pushing him to try and make him stop while he's sick.

My legs are sore. Yoga tonight is going to feel good, if I can just stay awake for it. :tired:

How is everyone doing?

ICUwishing
01-16-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm doing battle with a cold that really wants to catch me. So far, I'm winning, I guess - but it's been 3 days of 90% capability. 150 on the scale, some of which might be some coloring bloat from the Nyquil. I'm just going to have to live with it for the moment.

I did make a massive batch of turkey stir-fry last night. It's a recipe from Paul Prudhomme's "Fork in the Road" cookbook, which is his single effort at a "diet" cookbook. It is very colorful with all the peppers and carrots; the sauce is awesome with kind of a hot-sweet thing going on. I do love this cookbook - it's the only one that I've broken the spine on from overuse!

Mudpie
01-16-2013, 10:38 AM
So glad the weather is :sunny: and crisp during "dogmaggedon" - much easier to cope. Although I am keeping a lot more of the dogs on leash due to increased human/tourist traffic @ the beach.

And now there's a new foster lab coming next week - Bulut ("Cloud" in turkish.)

Whew! It's kinda fun being this busy again but also kinda draining. I got on the scale this morning and need to cut back a bit on the "exhaustion replenishing" calories. :p

Dagmar :coolsnow: :tired:

Shannon in ATL
01-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Becky, tell me about the stir fry sauce? I'm good with the basic stir fry dishes, but I have no idea how to make sauces that aren't terrible for me.

Dagmar - glad that you have good weather for your dogmaggedon!

Megan - glad the weight is staying down!

I'm hoping that I can exercise a little today. I'm tired, but I also stayed up way too late considering. I just have to figure out how to take it easy.

So tomorrow it might snow. It is 65 right now.

bargoo
01-16-2013, 11:14 AM
I got in the elevator yesterday and the maintenance man got on wearing a mask, he explained that he didn't feel too bad but did have a cough and didn't want to spread it around. I thanked him for being so considerate.

Sheila53
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Becky, I, too, am curious about the stir fry sauce. I created my own the other day because I didn't want to use soy sauce (not for any particular reason), but I noticed my DH getting the soy sauce out.

Dagmar, you must have incredibly strong arms. Young Labs are the bane of my volunteer work at the shelter--most have no manners, and they tear my arms off as they race out the door. We use those slip-on leashes that shelters use. Not plastic, thank goodness. I always think of myself as fairly strong, but when one of those dogs takes off, I feel like I have no muscle. It used to be easier when I was younger and 100 lbs. heavier.

Shannon, 65 degrees! Hopefully you feel well enough to take a stroll outside. I'll be happy when it gets above freezing here.

"Only" 1.5 lbs. to make it to my redline weight. So easy to put on, so hard to take off. I was reading someone's blog today where a person posted the following: "Does anyone have experience with the “set-point” theory as it relates to keeping weight off? Supposedly if you can stay the same weight for 6-12 months, your body “sets” to this weight and it is easier to maintain after that…" All I could do was laugh when I read that! Wishful thinking. .

ICUwishing
01-16-2013, 11:18 AM
shannon - generally what Prudhomme does for stirfrys is to heat up the pan empty for like 4 min (can be VERY hard on your cookware!) - throw in the meat and let it sear to the pan for a few, throw in about half of the veggies for a few minutes to get them carmelizing (and sticking), and then deglaze with about half a cup of tamari, balsamic vinegar, tomato sauce, or some combo of those. Then you add the rest of the veggies, and usually a broth, let it get up to a good simmer, and then thicken with either cornstarch or toasted flour (in lieu of a roux, so to speak!). For sweet dishes, he'll use reduced apple cider or white grape juice. The seasoning mixes that are used to rub the meat pieces and added to the dish later usually have 10-12 ingredients.

It's a great book and explains all of the techniques in the intro. If your eating plan is strongly low-fat, and you love strong flavors and color in your dishes, I can't recommend this book highly enough.

bargoo
01-16-2013, 11:29 AM
I was reading someone's blog today where a person posted the following: "Does anyone have experience with the “set-point” theory as it relates to keeping weight off? Supposedly if you can stay the same weight for 6-12 months, your body “sets” to this weight and it is easier to maintain after that…" All I could do was laugh when I read that! Wishful thinking. .

I would like to meet the person that has such a crazy idea. I can guarantee 100% that is not true.

Shannon in ATL
01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Becky, how much smoke does it make when you sear? DH has asthma so I have to be careful about smoke. I just picked up the cookbook for $2 prime on Amazon 'gently used'.

Sheila - yes, that sounds crazy to me too. I was at a 'set point' for over a year, and then just reset it to higher up. LOL

Bargoo - I love that your maintenance man was wearing a mask. I think I'm going to start keeping some in my car just in case.

Mudpie
01-16-2013, 07:01 PM
Sheila I use haltis on all the bigger dogs. If I can I train them to wear one from tiny puppyhood - I have several in all the sizes. I couldn't do my job without them and mentally thank their inventor every couple of days. I have only had 2 labs who managed to pull me along while they were wearing the halti (and they were in the same walk) and they slammed me into the snow fence bordering the off leash area several times. One is so stubborn she has torn the skin under her eyes with excessive pulling. She now wears a halti specially padded with moleskin.

3 days down, 2 more to go with "dogmageddon". I CAN do this without eating all evening long every evening. So far I've got 4 evenings OP and 2 off. I'm up 2 lbs. but I think that's from the "healthy' fibre rich cereal I snacked on 2 nights ago. I read the box this morning and it contains "brown rice syrup" - a nicer name for sugar - and cold pressed canola oil (what the heck???).

Dagmar :tired: but still :sunny:

Megan1982
01-17-2013, 08:34 AM
I slept like the dead last night. BF's congestion has cleared up a lot so I don't think he was snoring. But I don't know if I would have known anyway. I only woke up once, whereas usually I wake up several times. Yoga class was also packed last night. I forgot that "the resolutioners" might invade yoga like they do the gym every January.

Dagmar, eating Kashi's "To Good Friends" cereal used to get me into, ah, trouble, too. At the time I was using my mom's weight watchers materials and the idea of a fiber cap didn't exist yet, or at least my mom didn't pass the idea onto me. This meant it had a really low points value and I thought I could pretty much eat endless amounts. My colon did not thank me. I believe cold pressing is a processing technique thought to destroy less nutrients in the oil (versus hot pressing, where the the heat may destroy nutrients). Hang in there! You are strong and can make it through dogmageddon!

Hmmm. I like stir-fry. I like lots of flavor for not a lot of calories, too. Who doesn't? I might have to check this book out. I had actually planned tofu & veg stir-fry for dinner tonight. Might add some shrimp.

There are gale force winds here today and it's supposed to get cold (for us) tonight. I'm hoping it's at least not raining when I layer up to take the dog out after work. I have to run an errand between dog wogging and dinner that will cause me to eat later that normal. I tried to prep everything for my stir-fry last night to make cooking fast and am hoping I don't gnaw my arm off before dinner is ready. :hungry:

ICUwishing
01-17-2013, 12:04 PM
shannon, I wouldn't say it smokes - more like a big plume of steam. You *could* start with lower temperatures and longer cooking times. It might reduce the depths of flavors, but it might not. There's some tastebud magic that goes on when vegetables carmelize and meats stick to pans. I discovered today that a bit of the sauce from the turkey stir fry was outstanding as a sandwich spread. Wow! :drool: We destroyed our copper-clad/stainless Revereware with these techniques, I should mention. The commercial-grade 5-ply stainless Calphalon doesn't miss a beat for anything we throw at it. They come up occasionally on outlet sales for cosmetic defects, which makes them halfway reasonable. I'll be curious to hear what you think of the book!

Dagmar and Megan, I've had some rough experiences with Kashi's Go Lean Crunch. A single serving of it will cause unspeakable intestinal chaos for me. It more or less has the effect of eating a Brillo pad combined with a bottle brush - I am fairly certain it would be a perfect prep for a colonoscopy.

Sheila, I kept a fairly constant weight for a long time, probably 10 years at a lower weight, and 5 years at a higher one ... methinks the "setpoint" is merely a good balance between your activity level/metabolism and your overall intake. Like a seesaw ... with a million factors just waiting for a chance to unbalance things! :dizzy:

This pesky virus-thingy keeps trying to get a foothold somewhere different each day. It's tried my throat, my upper chest, and today it's going for my nose. Very ready for it to give up and find a different victim. :p

neurodoc
01-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Well, yesterday I was down for the count with a viral gastroenteritis. UGH. Today, I feel much better but still wiped, and with residual stomach pain anytime I eat more than 4 bites of food (which, of course, leaves me still hungry, so I eat again an hour later). But, between the forced inactivity from my surgery causing me to lose muscle like crazy and the lack of any solids (and most liquids) all day yesterday, this morning was my lowest scale weight in several months-nearly at redline. Yeah, I know it won't last, but it was still fun to see.

That set point theory is based on one study done in the ?1970s? with a bunch of young, normal-weight military recruit men who were kept in isolation for many months and were, for 3 months, starved down about 10-12% below starting weight and then allowed to eat normally again-they quickly bounced back to their usual weight. They were then forced to overeat for another 3 months until they were 10-12% over usual weight. When they were allowed to eat normally again, surprise, they once again went back to their usual weight. Thus, the "setpoint" theory was born. That experiment couldn't be further removed from the experience of the overweight-dieted-down-to-normal people on this site. For that matter, it doesn't even really apply to most normal people who are trying to keep the same weight for a longer period of time (years) as opposed to the 1-month period that the men in that study maintained their "setpoint" weights before they stopped being followed in the study.

Stir-fries are great when you follow that pan-seared meats and veggies approach, but I too have destroyed several pans by doing it too often. And, I'm told, you shouldn't do it in an aluminum pan because the searing process actually takes some of the aluminum into your food. Cast-iron is apparently the metal of choice for that sort of thing, but good luck seasoning one.

Mudpie
01-18-2013, 05:38 AM
This is a little too involved for me but here's a good method

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/

I like her "scientific" approach to it.

bargoo
01-18-2013, 08:10 AM
neurodoc, I find seasoning a cast iron pan to be very easy. I cover the bottom with oil, usually a vegetetable oil, Wesson Oil, Crisco or whatever I have on hand, put in the oven 350 degrees or so and leave it there a couple of hours, comes out perfect.

ICUwishing
01-18-2013, 08:59 AM
I love the commercial grade stainless - all it takes is some hot water to clean it up. It's a casual upper-body workout to move it around, as it's reallllly heavy.

Spouse handles the cast iron. He found Sheryl Canter's article and has done 4 pans with it. I can testify - it works, and it works GREAT. These pans are as slippery as any nonstick coating on the market. It is labor-intensive, and the smell of baking flaxseed oil is not lovely, but it certainly is effective over the long haul.

neuro, sorry you tangled with the bug. Michigan seems to be getting more than its share of illnesses.

A 14-year old and a 44-year old have died from "flu-like" symptoms near us. From everything that I've read, neither case actually sounds like flu ... the older man died of a liver blood clot. Shoot, the cold I've got could be described as "a flu-like symptom". Eschew obfuscation!!! Is the truth really that boring and/or difficult to understand? Why all this need to link a vague reference to something "scary?" Between the gun control stuff, the flu season, the debt ceiling, health care ... I am just about done with the news. :p 'Bout time to go back to reading, methinks!

Megan1982
01-18-2013, 09:01 AM
I managed to wait and eat my OP dinner a bit later yesterday, but experienced an "exercise fail". I tried to walk the dog and we only went about a mile. I underdressed for the cold/wind, was being blown over, losing my hat, my nose was running terribly, and the wind makes her extra frisky so she was pulling me down every beach, street, and sidewalk like a plow ox. I just couldn't take it. The wind has died down comparatively today, so I should be able to do much better. Food is OP. I've got several food events this long weekend, so I'll try to make them about the friends and music instead of food or alcohol.

I have one cast iron skillet that stays seasoned very easily. I have another that loses its season regularly, no matter how much oil I add. I treat them the same, clean them without detergent, as directed, the same. Thanks for reminding me about the oven method, I will try to re-season the trouble one that way. They are both really good brands, too. I don't know what the difference is. I wonder if you could do the stir-fry in a large cast iron frying pan? I don't think my non-stick wok would take that high a heat.

Neurodoc, that sounds nasty. Glad you're feeling better and I hope the residual symptoms go away soon.

Shannon in ATL
01-18-2013, 09:23 AM
I've had a good week this week, even with it starting out with strep. My calories have been good all week, though I've only exercised one day. I'm hoping to get some in today.

Neuro, hope the recovery goes well.

Megan - I have two events this weekend as well. We can handle it.

Becky - I hate reading the news. The gun issues alone are making me crazy.

:wave:

bargoo
01-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Shannon, sounds like the strep throat is gone hope you are feeling well.

WardHog
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
Yeah, re: the gun issues. My kids are having a "hard lockdown" drill today at school. You know, in case "a bad man comes in with a gun." ugh. So much for keeping them in a safe little bubble.

I am going to walk my dog today. I don't care how cold it is - the sun is out!!!

saef
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Delighted to report a scale reading of 145.3 on this sunny but chilly Friday morning, my usual weigh-in day. One contributing factor was cutting down on my snacks, particularly the quantity of nuts. My idea of a handful is probably far too generous. I'm pretty sure another was my trying to get to bed early. I have some bad habits: I get in my apartment sometimes at 8 PM, have dinner and then get on the laptop again, rather than going to bed, or do "one more thing" and then another before heading off to bed. I have kept the laptop in my car overnight. I have firmly marched myself off to bed ("Bedtime for you, young lady"). It helps me with the problem of confusing tiredness with hunger.

In other news, today at the gym, while lifting dumbbells, I looked into the mirror & found my thighs ... acceptable. Big, big win. More about my attitude than about actual thigh circumference, but still, I'm getting there.

Shannon in ATL
01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Saef, that is a big step. Acceptance is something I struggle with as well. Congratulations.

Ward - we are supposed to have drills next month, too. I don't know what I feel about it.

Bargoo - throat still a little twingy and I'm still more tired than I should be, but otherwise I feel 100% better.

Sheila53
01-18-2013, 01:50 PM
Thigh acceptance--I'm very impressed! Wish I could get there. Body acceptance is so darn tough.

Shannon, glad you're feeling better. One day of exercise when you're not feeling up to par is worth about three days, IMHO.

We have about one month more to go on the free Y membership through LiveStrong (thank you, Lance, for that one good thing you did). If my DH gets a job, we might just join since they waive the joining fee for previous LiveStrong participants. I had been doing my own workouts at home and could continue to do that, but I'm getting the feeling that DH won't be as obsessive as me about exercise if he has to do it at home.

Wardhog, go out and enjoy that sun! Do you take Vitamin D? I read that it improves mood in addition to bone health so I bought some for my DD in Oregon where weeks can go by without seeing the sun. She really feels a difference in her mood if she forgets to take it.

bargoo
01-20-2013, 06:52 AM
118 this morning , that is good news as earlier in the month I had shot up to 122 it has taken almost two weeks to get rid of that excess poundage. I was only 122 for one day but up until today I have stayed right around 119.I can easily gain two pounds a day but it will take two weeks to get rid of those same two pounds. Sigh.

traveling michele
01-20-2013, 11:32 AM
118 this morning , that is good news as earlier in the month I had shot up to 122 it has taken almost two weeks to get rid of that excess poundage. I was only 122 for one day but up until today I have stayed right around 119.I can easily gain two pounds a day but it will take two weeks to get rid of those same two pounds. Sigh.

Hooray! I'm also getting back down. I was 123.4 yesterday and 123.8 today. I'm praying that I can continue the downward trend and not start going the other way again!

bargoo
01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Weight......so easy to put on, so hard to take off.

Shannon in ATL
01-20-2013, 05:23 PM
Isn't it though?

WardHog
01-20-2013, 06:01 PM

word.

neurodoc
01-20-2013, 07:53 PM
"Thigh acceptance." Truly a term only a female dieter can really embrace. Wonder if it makes any sense out of context.

Today was my first day of exercise since surgery. It felt sooo good to get hot and sweaty (it is arctically cold today), and know that I am on the mend. Even though it was only 35 minutes on the stationary bike and treadmill, and even though I had to do the treadmill at a lower speed due to impaired balance (having to keep my right arm in a sling really messes with my center of gravity when I'm used to swinging both arms freely), I was deeply relieved to get back to some form of sweat-inducing activity. "An object at rest will stay at rest unless acted on by an unbalanced force" - that would be me, if I allow myself to go too long without engaging in exercise.

Weight has been steadfastly hovering right around my (new) redline weight, which I'm grateful for, and working hard to keep by remaining OP. Yesterday evening was a bit of a stretch, since I had about 8 oz. of (nonfat) frozen yogurt with several tablespoons of granola along with kiwi and strawberries, but I'm still considering it a win since I resisted all the more sugary, treat-y toppings on the choose-your-own toppings bar.

DSs have no school tomorrow, and DH is abstaining from work in order to supervise them. This makes me the sole human in the household who has to get up early tomorrow. Feeling a little "STBM" about it. Here's hoping whether you have to work tomorrow or not, that you all have a happy, OP day.

Sheila53
01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
My weekly weigh-in showed a loss of .5 lbs. so still 1 lb. above my redline. I feel myself wanting to be one of those people who complain about a loss that isn't in Biggest Loser range. My only real goal is to lose 10-15 lbs. by September so a half to a pound a week isn't that bad. It's just that I weighed 6 lbs. less around November. Next November I must hit myself over the head to remind myself how hard it is to take it off once I put it on. I think the anxiety of my DH not having a job affected me more than I thought it would, too, even though we planned for him to leave his job.

Mudpie
01-22-2013, 05:38 AM
I went to a birthday on Sunday and ate chips with guacamole, chili, caesar salad, and 2 different kinds of cake. No other options were offered so I went with the party food and enjoyed it. I even joked with my cousin's wife (who I will refer to as my SIL for simplicity) about the cake. She has put on quite a bit of weight due to a newish high stress job (she is doing the work of 4 people). We were talking about trying on non-stretch jeans and I said they give me "muffin top". She looked down at her expanding middle and said

"I'm past muffin top and into banana bread spillover now" :lol3:

I weighed 138 yesterday and did not sweat it. Today I weigh 135.

I'm finding, for myself, I no longer get upset by these "blips" on the scale. Overall I realize that, if I am OP most of the time I will weigh somewhere around 135 lbs.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Megan1982
01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
I think if I lived by myself I might be tempted to post fat pictures and signs around the house in strategic positions like the bathroom mirror and on the fridge right by the handle. They would say genius things like:

So true, so true.

I ended up having 2 days around 2000 cals this weekend, though I admit lax calorie tracking (not so I could shove things in my mouth and call the day "around" 2000 cals, though). Food event #1 on Saturday turned into staying out later than planned, so I decided to just eat where we were when I started getting hungry and ate a small portion of not as healthy food. I don't know exactly what it was - the salty food from that night, TOM cravings, the 3 weeks of diet restriction or all of the above. By the next day at noon I was ravenous so I decided to just try and eat a large filling meal of healthy foods. That worked for the afternoon but I just kept wanting salty, carby things. Add to that I tried a new recipe Sunday night and didn't care for the flavors. I hate to waste food, so I'm trying to eat the leftovers slowly, but not being excited about my food is a real downer when I'm trying to eat so little. I might just toss it if BF won't eat it. I hate to toss food. Trying to get back on track with losing calorie levels today and really watch the carbs. I don't weigh myself during TOM so we'll see in a few days how I'm doing.

Exercise however was good. Yesterday I jogged 3.6 miles with a few sniffing (the dog, not me) and water (both of us) stops, my furthest distance by about double since I've re-started jogging. We did an additional 3.1 miles walking warm-up and cool-down for a long walk. I'm still really slow but this wasn't as painful as it's been.

Dagmar, I'm glad you got out of the dog sit in time to enjoy time with your family. Way to not let that scale blip throw you. The occasional off-plan event is fine. It's what we do after that tells the tale - if it derails us or we just hop right back OP.

Sheila, please send a virtual hit my way next November as well. I go through this every year at the holidays. When will I learn?

Saef, what is this "thigh acceptance"? All I have to say is, good for you!

Neurodoc, glad you finally got to exercise! ;)

saef
01-22-2013, 09:44 AM
Having attained the level of thigh acceptance, I find myself stalled out when confronting my hips and butt in the full-length studio mirrors in the gym. Those body parts still fill me with a kind of internal "no, no, no, no" and "bad, bad, bad."

I was up .9 pounds on Monday after Friday's weigh in. Which may now be rounded to the full pound, as just before my job interview on the phone yesterday, I found myself eating one unsalted dry-roasted peanut after another, rather messily, too, like a chimp in a wildlife video. That's binge territory. I was at least able to observe this happening from outside myself, and stop it. This is discouraging. Just when I think I have the impulse to binge all figured out, and under control, I have these brief episodes where my mind shuts off and I do this to myself.

As always after I get something stressful done at work, I get a momentarily elated feeling, just from release of the pressure. That also is difficult to come down from without eating. I seem to have a rather narrow acceptable range of emotion, within which I can maintain control. Any deviations outside of that can lead me to eat. It seems irrational but it's apparent that I want to use eating to regulate & even myself out. How crazy is that?

traveling michele
01-22-2013, 10:21 AM
How did the interview go (aside from the nut issue)???

Good for you Dagmar-- that is what I try to do but don't usually succeed.

Me-- I ate 100% on plan all weekend-- two workouts each day-- and the scale is up almost 2 pounds..... now over my redline again that I had just snuck below. Much of it is likely from yesterday's workout (#2) which was mostly weights.

alinnell
01-22-2013, 10:58 AM
I wish I could say I don't have thigh issues. I think the last time I felt good about my thighs was 5 years ago when I was at a very low weight. I won't be able to fully go back to dieting until Monday as there are too many "festivities" planned this week. Saturday is the biggest, which really isn't the worst one--my Wine Women's dinner. The portions are really acceptable (meaning not big), but the wine...

So my plan (as long as this cold that seems to have attacked me last night doesn't interfere) is Monday I go cold turkey for 6 weeks solid: working out 3 times a week, no wine except for weekends, and sticking to my 1200 calories per day. I've got this 50th birthday celebration in mid-March and I'd like to look like some of my classmates (who will be running a half-marathon as part of our celebration).

CherryPie99
01-22-2013, 11:22 AM
I am a little obsessed with the excess skin on my thighs! When I do exercises where I'm laying down, I can see some pretty great muscles but they are layered with wrinkly hanging skin :mad:

Weighed in at 119.9 this morning - 120 is my no-no weight, so I've slipped just under but not where I want to be for sure....

ICUwishing
01-22-2013, 11:58 AM
saef, congrats on the moment of clarity and appreciation! "Not bad" is awfully damn good in the scheme of things. Your "eating as regulation" idea is intriguing ... I want a little time to dwell on that one. It has that tickle of a paradigm discovery.

shannon, good to hear you're feeling better!

sheila, I sometimes think that floor exercises need to be done with blindfolds. :D

bargoo, yupyupyup it is maddening how fast it comes on! Yay on the drop!

michele, sounds like a good time to give that scale a big ole raspberry. Flip it the bird and keep on keepin' on. :D

Andrea, hope you're staying warm! Glad you can get back to exercising again!

dagmar, your comment about the blips was right on for me: I almost always know what brought one on, or can figure it out. My inner voices are pretty quiet about the scale these days; they've moved on to bigger and better controversies. I'm not where I want to be, but I have no doubts that I can get there *when I want it bad enough*.

megan, I hear you about the disappointment when a recipe doesn't turn out right. Food should be something to look forward to, not to "get through". Hope you can doctor it somehow.

allison, your plan is certainly aggressive! It's tempting to try to join you, but I have nothing big on the horizon except Europe in June, and not looking like a fluffy American. I think I can do that with the slow 'n steady approach.

A week with my new pedometer confirms what I know to be true - I need to move more. Today I parked further away from the building, and walked the long route instead of the shortcut through the parking garages. That was quite the sacrifice, considering this morning it was -3F, and windy! And I'm committing to walk to the next furthest bathroom, which should add up fast since I'm drinking lots of water. :D Baby steps.

The wanna-be cold finally found a way in, and throttled back my weekend. Today I feel like I'm back at 100% and will go ahead with my plans. Told DH over the weekend that it was time to move the treadmill back in front of the TV - if I'm watchin', I'm walkin'. End of story. He made the mistake of givng me some guff about it; ugliness ensued. I gave no ground. It's moved.

And the scale remains at the unwanted 150. I'm going to return to tracking at my 1700 target, and see what the increased movement does.

alinnell
01-22-2013, 12:33 PM
Becky~I didn't know you were planning a trip to Europe! Where are you going? We're doing the Mediterranean at the end of July. I'm really looking forward to that!

ICUwishing
01-22-2013, 12:50 PM
allison, we're going on a river cruise from Budapest to Regensburg. This is link to the tour: http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/danube-river-tour-yuw-2013.aspx . I'm really looking forward to it! DH, DS, and I are going with my mom - she has to take that forced withdrawal from her IRA since she'll turn 70 this year, so she said she'd take us along if we bought our own plane tickets. Heck, yeah! :)

fitmom
01-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I find it's hard to keep motivated when it's so very cold out. The last thing I want to do is roll out of bed at 5 a.m. to go down to my basement to exercise before my kids wake up/go to school.

Plus, winter food is so comforting and most of it, not figure-friendly. I'm hoping to re-focus this month and pray the warmer weather is around the corner.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well. :)

alinnell
01-22-2013, 02:11 PM
allison, we're going on a river cruise from Budapest to Regensburg. This is link to the tour: http://www.tauck.com/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/danube-river-tour-yuw-2013.aspx . I'm really looking forward to it! DH, DS, and I are going with my mom - she has to take that forced withdrawal from her IRA since she'll turn 70 this year, so she said she'd take us along if we bought our own plane tickets. Heck, yeah! :)

Becky, my parents have done the riverboat cruises like this. They liked them a lot. I hope you have a lot of fun!

ICUwishing
01-22-2013, 02:57 PM
allison, thanks - I'm getting kinda geeked about it. :)

traveling michele
01-22-2013, 03:21 PM
I am a little obsessed with the excess skin on my thighs! When I do exercises where I'm laying down, I can see some pretty great muscles but they are layered with wrinkly hanging skin :mad:

Oh yes-- I am obsessed with the extra skin on my knees!!! It hangs down when I do plank or moves like that-- really!?! How rude! Not to mention the hanging skin from my tummy--- yuck!

traveling michele
01-22-2013, 03:24 PM
A week with my new pedometer confirms what I know to be true - I need to move more. Today I parked further away from the building, and walked the long route instead of the shortcut through the parking garages. That was quite the sacrifice, considering this morning it was -3F, and windy! And I'm committing to walk to the next furthest bathroom, which should add up fast since I'm drinking lots of water. :D Baby steps.

I also just bought a new pedometer-- I did the requisite 10,000 steps yesterday but that included a big walk with a friend. Today it is past noon and under 3,000. Eek! Gotta get moving.....

Mudpie
01-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I find it's hard to keep motivated when it's so very cold out. The last thing I want to do is roll out of bed at 5 a.m. to go down to my basement to exercise before my kids wake up/go to school.

Plus, winter food is so comforting and most of it, not figure-friendly. I'm hoping to re-focus this month and pray the warmer weather is around the corner.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well. :)

I was working from 8 a.m. to around 3:30 p.m. today in minus 13C :brr: with swirling sleety snow blowing around most of the time. The car driving part was hard but man did I enjoy seeing how stoked :hyper: all the dogs (even the senior group) were to be playing in the snow. I had a hard time getting a few of the younger ones rounded up to go home.

It IS hard to go do stuff in the cold. And I crave hot food all day long most of the winter - not possible except for dinner when the day is over. I find a thermos of hot tea drunk before/during the last 2 walks to be very helpful in getting me to the end of the day. Even when Lucy gets sand in my cup :lol:

traveling michele
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
More power to you Dagmar. I couldn't handle what you do at all. Love the dogs. The cold-- not so much.

Shannon in ATL
01-23-2013, 10:59 PM
Oh Dagmar, I don't know how you do it.

Becky - I would love to go on a cruise like that.

Michele - a pedometer opens your eyes to how little you are really moving some days, doesn't it?

I got in a lot of steps today - walked around campus, then went for a run on the way home.

Megan1982
01-24-2013, 09:08 AM
My new ipod nano that Santa brought me has a pedometer function. It also has a "running workout" function which seems fairly accurate so far. I laughed at the difference between the calories it said I burned jogging yesterday, and what myfitnesspal ap said I burned. BIG difference by about 400 cals. But I did jog yesterday, almost 4 miles, for the second time this week. It was not fun, it was slow and there were some starts and stops with dog sniffing, but I did it. If I just keep doing that a few times a week, it's got to get better, right? Right.

I'm going to the city today and am going to try hot yoga with a friend! I'll report back tomorrow.

saef
01-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I'm not doing my best this week, I'm just barely getting by. I know I must be at about 147 because of how my stomach and ankles look. For the past few weeks, I'd been exercising in two sessions, one in the morning, then again in the evening -- but the frigid temperatures have kept me indoors in the evenings, with me saying, "You already went to the gym early this morning. Why do you need to be such an overachiever?" But I haven't been eating any less. Also I haven't gotten enough sleep. I had to co-present on a Webinar last night at 10:30 PM-11:30 PM, timed for our analysts based in the Asia-Pacific time zone, and then I was up at 4:15 AM as usual. When I feel this wrung out, I generally "feel fat" and the scale usually bears me out. I'll check on this tomorrow morning at my usual weigh-in.

bargoo
01-24-2013, 09:40 AM
saef, re: your comment about getting enough sleep, all the articles I read about successful weight loss say get plenty of sleep, eight hours the suggested amount. My question is , how do we get our bodies to go alomg with this ? I would dearly love to sleep eight hours a night, that hasn't happened in years. I am usually running on 4 or 5 . When I can actually sleep six hours it is quite remarkable.

Shannon in ATL
01-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Megan - if you keep doing it a few days a week it will definitely get better. :)

Saef - I'm sorry that you are feeling frustrated this week.

I'm having a busy day today. DH is in a class about two hours away (with no traffic, probably three hours to get home) so he had to leave at 6am and won't get home until after 7. I went to bed later than I should have last night, so getting up at 5:30 was harder than it should have been. I've got to get DSS from XW's house after his dentist appointment this afternoon, then if we have time I'm taking him to the PTSA night at the local skating rink. Busy busy. Looks like exercise at 10pm today. LOL

bargoo
01-24-2013, 09:59 AM
shannon, I have noticed in the last several months that you have mentioned DSS only in passing. I am looking at that as a good sign. I remember what a stressful time you had with him in the past. Has his behaviour improved to the point wher you can relax a little ?

alinnell
01-24-2013, 10:49 AM
I'd love to get 8 hours of sleep! I usually plan on it, but one thing or another usually interrupts it. Last night it was the cat at 2 AM followed by the dog. The dog jumps off the bed when the cat does something he's not supposed to do. Then the dog sits and stares at me, waiting to be invited back on the bed. If I fall asleep, she growls and then barks at me. If it's not the animals, then it's just plain insomnia.

Sheila53
01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
My question is , how do we get our bodies to go alomg with this ? I would dearly love to sleep eight hours a night, that hasn't happened in years. I am usually running on 4 or 5 . When I can actually sleep six hours it is quite remarkable.

Eesh! Me, too. The other night I slept six straight hours, and I was so excited. Hoping it was the beginning of a trend, but nope.

Saef, I'm sorry it's not been a good week for you. At least you're doing some exercise, although not as much as you'd like.

Megan, hope you enjoy the hot yoga. I've heard good things about it.

Shannon, sounds like an incredibly busy schedule. Will you be skating, too?

Allison, you're such a good pet parent. My cat is relegated to the laundry room at night.

Dagmar, how about hot soup in a thermos? I find myself making stews and soups and roast chicken during these days of below freezing highs.

I have not weighed in a few days. Had some hiccups in my eating plan on Tuesday, the day my DH was interviewing for a job. Anyone meditate? I thought that might take the edge off the low level anxiety that's lurking around the edges (and sometimes in the forefront) of my mind.

Shannon in ATL
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
Sheila - I think I just might skate. I'm actually pretty good at it, have skated all my life and took it as a PE in college. (I'd dropped everything else so skating was about the last choice I had other than camping and knot tying!)

Bargoo - sadly, things have not been smooth with DSS lately. He did very well the first part of the school year and we were relaxing, teachers and counselors told us how much better he was doing, things were better. Then he started to have small incidents of not listening in October and November, which by December had become bigger incidents of refusing to cooperate at all, pushing and shoving other kids and then some hitting. We all hoped it was because of the excitement leading up to Christmas, and the stress of not having a routine for several weeks. Well, went back to school in January and promptly got in trouble - teacher told us that was his last warning and after that he had to go to the office for anything he did. A week later he pushed a girl whose hair touched him and ended up in the office. That was last week. This Tuesday he shoved some kids out of the way to get where they were in karate and wouldn't get into circle so his instructor sent him home, and this was the same day he had a therapist appointment talking about his behavior and trying to do better. He has an appointment on Friday to check his meds, and the psychiatrist has been doing a 30 day eval on him - I suspect that they will increase his meds. The psychiatrist says that kids age through the dosages sometimes and they have to increase with size and hormone changes, and the therapist thinks it might give him his buffer space back to make better decisions before acting. We'll see. I'm worried about increasing them, and feel like there is a lack of consistent and appropriate discipline leading to part of the problem, but I can't discount that they have been effective so far. We're all a little conflicted. DH is in the middle on the meds question, XW definitely wants the increase and I'm closer to no than to yes.

I often get 8 hours of sleep - sometimes by body demands it and I just can't make myself wake up any earlier. Though I think that is habit as much as anything. If I have to be up for a thing then I get up, otherwise I'll blindly snooze until I hit that point and then I pop up.

bargoo
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Shannon, sorry about DSS , I was hoping he had improved. This has got to be a lot of stress for you and DH. I don't have any words of wisdom, I wish I did.

traveling michele
01-24-2013, 01:02 PM
Megan-- I missed seeing that you were trying hot yoga. I'd love to hear how you like it. I'm addicted! You kind of need to give it a few tries before you decide if you don't love it right away-- but you are already good at yoga.....

Shannon in ATL
01-24-2013, 01:37 PM
Bargoo, thanks for asking about him and thinking of us. I think the worst part was that he did improve and everything was smooth and peaceful and we were comfortable, then wham right between the eyes when he started acting out again. It was a hard one to process...

neurodoc
01-24-2013, 09:13 PM
Shannon, how old is DSS? My oldest DS (age 14) has pretty severe ADHD, and when he was 8-10, he had a lot of physical impulse-control problems. Meds definitely helped (a lot), but so did some behavioral interventions as part of an IEP. Things like preferential seating next to the teacher, being allowed out of his seat to pace between subjects, being asked to go out in the hall to walk briskly to the bathroom and back several times if he started to get "into it" with any classmates or the teacher (verbal debating), and being allowed to have a "fidget object" at his seat (a foam squeezy ball) that would be confiscated if he used it inappropriately. On the playground, he was required to stay within a few yards of the supervising teacher, and if he didn't he would be asked to stand against the wall of the school in "time out" to avoid getting into physical altercations with others. There were other provisions as well, and altogether, they made a big difference. You may also be excited to hear that at around age 11, he began to outgrow a lot of the physical aggressiveness spontaneously, and by 12 he didn't hit anyone, ever. Of course, he still has arguments with people when they don't see his way, but we have implemented some carrot-and-stick approaches to those behaviors as well, with positive results. The point is, the older he gets, the more self-control he has developed. The last thing I will add is, if you object to meds because they are all stimulants, talk to his psychiatrist about adding Intuniv- it's not a stimulant medication and it really helped my DS with impulse control.

As for weight management, I'm doing better than I expected all things considered. It may just be lost muscle mass, but I've dropped 2 pounds since my surgery, and the lack of regular exercise has definitely helped to keep my appetite in check, so my daily 1300 calories doesn't feel like the hardship it does at other times. My shoulder is starting to feel a bit more normal too, though that makes it all the harder to constrain my arm in that infernal black velcro-laden sling (it is definitely not a fashion choice that goes with anything).

And as for sleep, I plan to get my 8 hours tonight, like I do every night that I'm not on hospital call. Despite that, I know I will have just as much trouble waking up in the morning as I would if I slept only 5 or 6. I am sooo not an "early to rise" person.

bargoo
01-25-2013, 09:08 AM
Oh, Andrea I would love to have 8 hours sleep, my body just does not cooperate . I have tried OTC sleeping aids they just don't work.

ICUwishing
01-25-2013, 10:13 AM
:wave:

I worship my bed. Getting bamboo sheets was the best thing I ever did - they ROCK! Soft, drapey, perfectly breathable ... it's amazing. I think I've applied every trick in the book to make my bedroom a sleep sanctuary. I'm not all that good at sleeping. Even the water softener starting its cycle will wake me up, though it's been magnitudes better since I got on thyroid meds. I wish I could spend less time in bed than 8-9 hours, but those are the cards I've been dealt. Going with less is disastrous in just a couple days. I've often wondered if I could get by on less if I figured out a way to sleep more deeply.

shannon, :hug: Nothing is ever static with kids - they force us to grow along with them.

I seem to be back under the 150 line again, thank goodness. I followed a link on another thread to the Dukan site; they have a "real weight" calculator that asks a lot of questions about your low and high weights, and how long you were there ... I tried it and it came up with 141. Here's the link, just in case anyone's curious: http://www.dukandiet.com/Calculate-your-True-Weight .The Dukan diet is pretty close to opposite to the way I eat, :lol: and I wouldn't do it even for the option of seeing a 141 because I could never sustain it that way. But :chin: now I'm starting to wonder if maybe my worst character trait (never do anything at 100% because it might set a standard I can't maintain) is at work again. The thread and the discussion are sticking in my head; it's about goal weights and ... I feel like I've avoided giving this some needed deep thought beyond "I can be *here* and pretty much work it around how I live with almost no effort." Is that just a cop-out, I wonder?

traveling michele
01-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Becky-- I have a teacher friend who did the Dukan diet, lost a lot of weight, and then started feeling terrible-- horrible back and neck pain and other aches and pains. She truly feels it was the Dukan diet that caused her issues-- she was eating so much protein and not having any fruit-- it just isn't healthy to completely eliminate foods from your diet altogether. She is feeling much better now that she is eating a healthy balanced diet.

traveling michele
01-25-2013, 10:29 AM
It said my true weight is 121 and I'm currently 123 so not sure what that means exactly....

ICUwishing
01-25-2013, 10:43 AM
michele, I completely agree. I'm one of those folks who thrive best on a whole lotta fat. I would be a train wreck in a week from what I've heard about it. I like the way I eat and it makes me feel really good - if I want to lose, I just eat less of it. What I am truly banging my head on (therapy back in HS helped me identify this, but not to do much about it) is that my lack of inertia for exercise is not laziness, it is more of a fear of change. If I were to get really fit, it would undoubtedly change my priorities ... which leads to more change. My life right now is about other people, y'know? As long as I don't spend a lot of time in my head thinking about what would happen if I put myself first, I'm "okay". Dissatisfaction with the status quo got all of us here; I have to crack my world wide open to go to the next level.

alinnell
01-25-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm a bed worshipper as well! I look forward to going to bed and staying in it as long as possible. The nights that I have insomnia it doesn't matter--I stay there and just try to get comfortable. It's like punishment if I were to get up in the middle of the night and move to the couch to read if I can't sleep. Really, the only thing I'll get up for in the middle of the night (except for the short trip to the bathroom) is a good thunderstorm.

My true weight is 141. I've got a ways to get there! But 140 is where I was trying to get, so it makes sense.

krampus
01-25-2013, 12:19 PM
That Dukan diet thing said my true weight is what I am now, or was yesterday anyhow. Heh.

I'm actually my sig weight today - my appetite is finally back and I had a HUGE dinner at Dinosaur BBQ last night to celebrate.

Shannon in ATL
01-25-2013, 03:50 PM
Andrea - he is 7. I like the intervention techniques you described, I think they would help. I worry about the stimulant aspect of the meds - he doesn't sleep much at all and has stopped eating what little he ate before he started them. I worry that increasing them will make that worse.

The Dukan link told me to shoot for 132. As I was going for 130 that is pretty close.

WardHog
01-25-2013, 05:04 PM
It calculated 141 for me. Hmmm ... interesting.

neurodoc
01-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Shannon,
intuniv is not a stimulant, and it tends to make kids sleep more, not less. Not that I'm telling you to put him on it, just that we had the same side effects from stimulants that you describe (plus irritability and end-of-day rebound hyperactivity), and for us, Intuniv (plus Wellbutrin) proved to be a way better solution. Check out http://connect.additudemag.com/site/login/ and look at the bulletin boards. Like this site, there is a huge community of parents out there to learn from, and commiserate with. And with that, I'll stop talking ADHD on a weight maintenance site, but feel free to PM me for more info.

I refuse to play with the Dukan site. I think that the "true weight" calculator is a gimmick, just like the age-old ultra-low-carb approach it promotes under a new name. My happy weight is 120 (assuming I keep weight lifting, for about 18% body fat) and there I plan to stay as long as possible.

Shannon in ATL
01-25-2013, 11:40 PM
Thanks for the info - we've been doing noticing he bottoms out early evening and then bounces back into hyper hard by bath time but I didn't realize it was a thing. Hm.

Sheila, was it this thread you asked if I was going to skate last night? I did, for close to 1.5 hours. It was a lot of fun!

Megan1982
01-26-2013, 08:47 AM
I liked hot yoga. I don't know if I loved it, which is what my friend kept asking me, but I will do it again when I go to the city. There were 30 people in the class and the instructor definitely couldn't keep an eye on everyone's form, so I wondered how safe it was, but there didn't seem to be many beginners. It seemed half yoga, half fitness class. I sweat buckets as it was REALLY hot, and though I "lost" 2 lbs overnight I wondered how much of that was water, and how many more calories I was really burning than a hatha yoga class. 1 of those lbs came back today as I got rehydrated yesterday, but maybe 1 lb has really kicked the curb.

The Dukan diet says my true weight is 143. I am aiming for 140 but since my maintenance range of 135-140 only "worked" for 2 years for me, I'm trying to be open to the fact that this range may change in order to be healthy & sustainable for me. I did laugh at the plan to lose 9 lbs over 37 days. A 2 lb loss in a month is a great month. My body doesn't want to give it up.

I love my bed. In fact, it was really really tough not to go back there an hour ago after letting the dog out and feeding her breakfast. I need 8-9 hours of sleep a night. If I don't get it I just don't function as well, particularly if I'm at my desk and supposed to do "brain" work. When I was in HS & college I sacrificed a LOT of sleep to study and would ofter get less than 6 hours of sleep. Once someone actually asked me if I had a black eye, the dark circles were so bad. I think my need for so much sleep now is my body's rebellion against those sleep-deprived years, and I actually sometimes worry about the brain cells I killed and its effect on my memory. I usually sleep pretty soundly, but occasionally go through insomnia phases.

Shannon, sorry to hear about the continued troubles with DSS. I also wondered if no news was good news. I don't have any experience/advice to offer so I'll just give you a :hug:

I'm hosting sushi making night/girls night at my house tonight. I've decided it will be a "free" night between the sushi and some wine drinking. I'll still log it and WILL get right back on track tomorrow.

traveling michele
01-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Megan--I've heard many times that you burn about 1000 calories in a hot yoga session, so some of your weight loss is water, but certainly not all! I never knew I could sweat as much as I do in class. 30 people in class is a pretty large class-- the classes I take are usually 15-20 but sometimes they are larger. The instructor hopefully knew you were new? At my studio, the instructors keep a close eye on newbies and will correct any form that could potentially be harmful.

ICUwishing
01-27-2013, 08:50 PM
Here's a good one. I spent some serious time experimenting with how to clean a textured porcelain tile floor. When it became clear that only a near-boiling, very strong solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, for those that haven't used this nasty stuff), scrubbed in hard, and then mopped up with a Magic Eraser mop was going to work, I spent 45 minutes doing about 25 square feet. DS13 noticed immediately when they got home, and says to DH, "hey, doesn't the floor look awesome?" DH's reply (brace yourselves): "The floor's *supposed* to be clean," while smirking at me. Breathtaking. I asked him politely if he'd like to rephrase himself. He said, "Nope." I think I know why I drink.

bargoo
01-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Becky, your DH leaves me speechless. Men are just clueless, sometimes.

Steph7409
01-27-2013, 09:39 PM
ICU, I've used TSP and it is indeed nasty stuff. Kudos to you for not flinging some at your DH.

Several years ago, I got a marmoleum floor for my kitchen - a linoleum like product on a cork backing, clicks together, no glue. It looks great (I did a blue and green checkerboard pattern) but only if you don't look too closely. From the first time I cleaned it, it has looked smeared. I've tried everything I can think of, even a steam mop, and have just given up.

I wish I could do yoga but I have a bum leg and just can't bend very well. I do some pilates that has yoga-esque moves and really enjoy it.

BillBlueEyes
01-27-2013, 10:09 PM
TSP is vile stuff to work with. My congratulations for your success.

Mudpie
01-28-2013, 05:32 AM
I refuse to play with the Dukan site. I think that the "true weight" calculator is a gimmick, just like the age-old ultra-low-carb approach it promotes under a new name.

Yeah I agree. I get enough junk email as it is. And the "whole buncha protein" diet was known as Atkins back in the day when I tried it.

Mudpie
01-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Here's a good one. I spent some serious time experimenting with how to clean a textured porcelain tile floor. When it became clear that only a near-boiling, very strong solution of TSP (tri-sodium phosphate, for those that haven't used this nasty stuff), scrubbed in hard, and then mopped up with a Magic Eraser mop was going to work, I spent 45 minutes doing about 25 square feet. DS13 noticed immediately when they got home, and says to DH, "hey, doesn't the floor look awesome?" DH's reply (brace yourselves): "The floor's *supposed* to be clean," while smirking at me. Breathtaking. I asked him politely if he'd like to rephrase himself. He said, "Nope." I think I know why I drink.

Obviously your son does not take after his father - your son is a decent nice person. And if it were me I'd have made hubby DRINK some of the dirty TSP water.

Dagmar :(

ICUwishing
01-28-2013, 08:01 AM
:lol: dagmar! Given what it says on the back of that package, perhaps that would be a route out of all future problems as well ...

bargoo, he can't claim cluelessness. What it is, is a failure to learn how to communicate despite professional intervention on several fronts. And yet he will be mystified when I leave him in a few years, even though that has also been made aware on multiple occasions that this is a probable consequence.

bill, I have to say that it worked like a charm. I started with hot white vinegar, my preferred cleaning solution. Nothing. And I do mean nothing. Simple Green. Nope. Foaming bathroom cleaner? Minor difference. OVEN CLEANER? Not enough to justify the smell. The TSP was my final resort, and man, does it work! I hate wearing safety glasses and full length gloves, but it did the job. All that rinsing - ugh. It's a three-bucket job!

steph - the marmoleum sounds like neat stuff, aside from the color run! That sucks about the smearing. Did you pursue any compensation with the manufacturer? I just put a click-lock engineered laminate that looks like marble tile in my renovated bathroom , and I think it's my favorite room in the house.

Now, at this point, some of you have to be thinking, "Just how dirty is that dang floor?" I had it professionally steam-cleaned a few years back but made the mistake of not sealing it. My housekeepers do mop - and mopping does a lot more of pushing around dirt than actually picking it up. It's a highly-textured tile - has what's called a "bathroom finish" on it to keep it from being slippery when wet. It's almost gritty. Because it's a mix of off-white and ivory tones, it hides its dirt better than you'd think. It was definitely due for some love. Now that I've made a clean spot, I have to keep going because the contrast is obvious! Once my upper back stops screaming, I'll do the next patch. I can count this as exercise, right? ;)

Love you all for the support! I've spent too much time second-guessing whether the crap that goes on in my house is just me being "over sensitive".

alinnell
01-28-2013, 09:26 AM
I had a slate-like tile in my old house. Regular mopping would leave muddy deposits in the deeper parts of the tile. I finally bought a good steam cleaner that did both carpet and floors. It'd suck up the muck pretty good afterwards and did a much better job than I (or Merry Maids) could ever do. On that note, don't hire MM!

ICUwishing
01-28-2013, 10:02 AM
allison - what brand of steam cleaner did you have, do you remember? Seems like Bissell and Hoover are the two biggies - but neither has particularly good reviews.

alinnell
01-28-2013, 10:24 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a Bissell. It worked great on the tile. Not so much on the carpet.

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Becky - I have a Hoover Floormate, my version doesn't do steam but the one my brother has does and he really likes it. He uses it on the textured quarry tile in their kitchen and it looks fantastic. I'll try to find out which one it is. And I would have also been seriously tempted to feed DH the TSP residue myself. I'm glad that DS doesn't seem to be picking up the attitude.

Megan1982
01-28-2013, 10:38 AM
Becky, wow. I would have flung something at DH for that one. Do you think TSP would leave a taste if you mixed it into your hubby's coffee? :devil: Good for you for your industrious cleaning! I have textured paint in my bathroom and it's so hard to clean. I have moisture issues in my house (it's a rental so I just have to deal or move) and yes, have to periodically clean the walls and ceilings of the bathroom. I haven't found a great way to do it yet. My attempts involve several hours and lots of elbow grease, and wearing safety goggles to keep the ceiling work from dripping in my eyes. If I didn't think the flood of water would damage things I would just use a pressure washer. :D

I have either the Hoover or Bissell steam vac for the beige wall-to-wall carpet (again, rental - who would choose this with a pet?). Using it on the carpet it's paid for itself many times over, for pet messes and general cleaning. I don't even know if this model is for tile. I should check, my kitchen tile is light in color and could use a good scrub (yes, push mops don't help that much).

Michele, I was uncomfortable bc of the lack of this instructor's attentiveness. She knew this was my first time at this studio, but didn't ask about my yoga history etc. She walked around a little bit, but I just don't see how she could have kept an eye on everyone and I did not notice her making many corrections. I would worry about anyone who was new to yoga. My friend who I went with did say that classes have been exceptionally full since New Years. I had to watch myself that I didn't run into the people in the rows above/below me, particularly the tall guy below me.

Oh yes and weight loss. Well, I knew the soy sauce consumed with sushi + wine also consumed would cause a huge blip in the scale. Another 1-2 days will show either actual damage or return to pre-weekend weight. I spent several hours yesterday cooking and prepping my healthy meals for the next few days, and yes, refilling endless salad bowl for BF. I think this coming weekend I will need to forego any kind of "cheat night" or alcohol. Indulging "just a little" every weekend is too much for me to stay in any kind of losing range, and sushi night was indulging a lot, not a little. It was fun though. ;)

saef
01-28-2013, 10:46 AM
And yet he will be mystified when I leave him in a few years, even though that has also been made aware on multiple occasions that this is a probable consequence.

I've re-read that sentence a couple times and can't get beyond it. Clearly your tenacity in your attempts to cleaning up a dirty floor is probably nothing to your tenacity in trying to make your relationship with your husband work. If I know anything from your posts, Becky, it's that you are a an intelligent, methodical planner, so he's not going to know what hit him once you choose to execute.

Whew. Well ...

I was going to say that I can relate to your work, as someone who was just kneeling on my own bathroom floor, scrubbing at the grout with a toothbrush dipped in pure bleach. I made a poor choice in unglazed off-white octagonal tile and boy does it show the dirt.

I'm writing all this to avoid talking about my weight, obviously, since that is the focus of the thread. My weight is still headed in entirely the wrong direction. It's a quantity problem, not a quality problem. I've been eating too much, particularly at snack time. I'm trying to make today a good day and to just deal with being hungry after my exercise sessions.

Also I am trying not to freak out about two consecutive all-day meetings that I've got to attend tomorrow and the day after in CT. These will blow my exercise schedule to pieces. I think I can get in a good spin class tomorrow but Wednesday may be a lost cause, starting with 8 AM breakfast onsite and ending with one of those expensed dinners out at which my attendance is mandatory for political reasons. The British have chosen a barbeque joint. In fact, I was laughing at the popup ad when I visited the website, to check out the menu beforehand: It's a busty cowgirl with a come-hither look, standing on top of the bar. Apparently they dance on the bartop on some nights. Not, unfortunately, the night when we'll be there "team building." I wish I could slip out during the mayhem, head home & get in some cardio. It annoys me that just when my weight is up, this has to come along.

Sheila53
01-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Saef, I've heard that dancing on top of the bar is good cardio in case you can't slip out. Just sayin. . . :)

alinnell
01-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Talk about quantity over quality--I made some baked southwest egg rolls yesterday. Baked, so not fried, and therefore a bit more on the healthy side. Made with black beans, corn, spinach, chicken, cheese and spices. I served it with chicken tortilla soup. Everyone took two egg rolls except DH who must have decided that since they were not fried they were calorie-free. He took four (and then could barely finish them).

saef
01-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Saef, I've heard that dancing on top of the bar is good cardio in case you can't slip out. Just sayin. . . :)

I'm gonna call that a career-limiting move ;-), as there are lots of women in the layers of management witnessing my moves: My manager, who's a woman, my manager's manager, a British male (who chose the venue, obviously), and the manager of my manager's manager, who's a California-based woman.

I just want to **look** as though I could dance on a bartop, but that I chose to use my brains instead.

Shannon in ATL
01-28-2013, 12:20 PM
LOL - I would agree that dancing atop the bar might not be the best move in front of the female managers.

Megan1982
01-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Talk about quantity over quality--I made some baked southwest egg rolls yesterday. Baked, so not fried, and therefore a bit more on the healthy side. Made with black beans, corn, spinach, chicken, cheese and spices. I served it with chicken tortilla soup. Everyone took two egg rolls except DH who must have decided that since they were not fried they were calorie-free. He took four (and then could barely finish them).

Mmm, those sound yummy! They don't sound too bad for you if baked. Recipe? Also what is your recipe for tortilla soup? I've never made it but seem great variation in recipes.

Well, the zombie apocalypse Saef would look great on top of a bar. And at that point since your bosses would likely be zombies, it would be perfectly fine to go dancing!

I have noticed I am more sensitive to carbs that ever. Having a serving of carbs with dinner makes me hungry and I just want to eat more. I have never gone on a low-carb diet and certainly still wouldn't qualify for one now (fruit and yogurt are two things I can't give up) but have been avoiding great amounts and staying away from breads and a lot of grain besides AM oatmeal. My old stand-by breakfasts of oatmeal, fruit, and milk (yup, mostly carbs) just isn't cutting it anymore. If I add an egg that helps a great deal, but then I need to cook on the stove top, which I don't have time for on workdays.

1# down this AM, 1# to go to pre-weekend weight. My pants also feel quite loose today.

bargoo
01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Megan,I scramble my eggs in the microwave,with a little salsa on the side, great for breakfast or lunch.

Megan1982
01-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Bargoo, I've made "mug eggs" before in the microwave and they are tasty! I guess I just need to switch to eggs entirely. I like the taste of oatmeal, but to fill me up need to add an egg in during the last minute of cooking. I love the stovetop texture, but I've tried this in the microwave w oatmeal and it's just not the same texture. I think I will probably just switch to eggs during the week, and save my stovetop oatmeal w/ egg for the weekends. Might prep some egg bakes in muffin cups this weekend, too, if I have time, and add veggies in.

I'm a little sad about giving up my oatmeal. But YKW? It's really not the end of the world, and certainly not as if I can't ever eat it again. Trying to be flexible :oP

CherryPie99
01-29-2013, 09:40 AM
You know I add PB2 to my oatmeal and notice the protein in that fills me up pretty well and 2 whole tablespoons for 45 calories ain't too shabby!

alinnell
01-29-2013, 09:41 AM
Mmm, those sound yummy! They don't sound too bad for you if baked. Recipe? Also what is your recipe for tortilla soup? I've never made it but seem great variation in recipes.

Well, the zombie apocalypse Saef would look great on top of a bar. And at that point since your bosses would likely be zombies, it would be perfectly fine to go dancing!

The tortilla soup is a mix by Bear Creek. It is carried by most grocery stores. I added chicken to it.

The recipe for eggrolls is:

Baked Southwest Egg Rolls

2 c frozen corn, thawed
1-15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1-10 oz. pkg frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
2 c shredded Mexican cheese blend
1-4 oz can diced green chiles, drained
4 green onions, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pkg egg roll wrappers (about 24)
(I also added shredded chicken)

Preheat oven to 425°.
In a large bowl, combine everything but the egg roll wrapper. Mix well to blend. Lay an egg roll wrapper out on a work surface so that one of the corners is pointing toward you and place 1/4 cup of the filling in the center. Fold the tip closest to you up over the filling, roll a bit, then take the points pointing outward and fold them in toward the center. Continue rolling into an egg roll shape until a small part of the remaining point is free. Dip a finger in water or beaten egg and lightly brush on the endues of the free corner. Finish rolling and press to seal closed. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.

Lightly oil a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place sealed egg rolls on the baking sheet, seam side down, and spray the tops with cooking spray. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly brown, turning halfway through baking. Serve with salsa.

I ended up baking mine a little longer than 15 minutes, but that may have been due to my making the mixture earlier in the day and refrigerating it, so it was cold.

Sheila53
01-29-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm a little sad about giving up my oatmeal. But YKW? It's really not the end of the world, and certainly not as if I can't ever eat it again. Trying to be flexible :oP

Can you try a little protein powder in the oatmeal just to bump up the protein? I, too, am carb sensitive plus a blood panel showed an allergy to eggs (no symptoms that I'm aware of, however). Luckily, I don't have to be anywhere most mornings so I cook turkey burgers or salmon burgers from Costco. Sometimes I'll eat whatever protein I had for dinner the night before and maybe a piece of fruit. Do you eat Greek yogurt? The brands I've purchased in the past (same blood panel showed dairy allergy--sheesh!) had quite a bit of protein.

Sometimes I feel like I'm caught between the rock and the proverbial hard place because my doctor doesn't want me to eat the things that came up on the blood panel as allergy problems, but the food restrictions sometimes feed into the BED. Plus I'm not aware of any allergy symptoms so the allergies don't seem real to me. If I could see a link--like if my stomach hurt when I ate dairy--then maybe it would seem like I really did have allergies, and avoiding those foods would make me feel better and perhaps be easier.

saef
01-30-2013, 07:53 AM
Weight down one pound, which did not surprise me, since the other morning my ankles were still swollen. I think that's from the salt in the lentil & mushroom soup that I made over the weekend, and possibly from chewing too much gum on Monday out of tension, as the sorbitol seems to make my body retain fluid.

Yesterday did not feel like a healthy day. I was trapped for eight hours in a conference room, participating in three brainstorming sessions in a row with analyst focus groups within my company. I thought the cafeteria workers would be wheeling in the water bottles, coffee urn, fruit & bad, bad tempting snacks. But no, the organizers were doing it on the cheap and did not even cater it to that extent. So I was thirsty and in that entire time only managed to run back to my desk & grab a perfectly enormous Rome apple. I ate it loudly and messily as a horse over my laptop, feeling badly for the others around the table looking on. I could practically hear my mother's voice: "It's not nice to eat in front of other people. You should share." I feel they were possibly envious of my apple, even though there was a row of vending machines a couple feet away and they could've gotten something for themselves.

Megan1982
01-30-2013, 08:46 AM
Today I had a variation of a paleo recipe like this "oatmeal minus the oats" (http://carrotsncake.com/2012/01/oatmeal-minus-the-oats.html) for breakfast using 2 eggs, medium banana, 2 T ground flax, cinnamon and vanilla, made in the microwave and stirred often. With coffee this has 335 cals, 20 g protein, 16g fat, 7 g fiber. Should be filling, right? I've made "banana eggs" before using 1 banana and 2 eggs, and this is similar. It's tasty!

Unfortunately I don't think this is a very good day to see how this fills me up as I woke up starving and I think it's just going to be one of those "hungry" dieting days. I will eat my planned foods. I will eat extra almonds and all of my planned, healthy snacks if needed. I will drink lots of tea and water. And then I will go enjoy yoga class tonight. :yoga: (*Willing myself to follow this plan*)

Jen, I've heard of PB2 but never tried it bc I like "normal" pb so much on apples, toast etc, but this does sound like a great use where it would be worth having an extra product, especially since I do try to keep my breakfasts at 400 cals max. Next time I go to the co-op in the city I'll pick some up.

Sheila, I have tried adding protein powder and just didn't care for what it did to my oatmeal flavor. I have vanilla and chocolate sweetened flavors. I did wonder if I could get an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder to use here. I'll have to keep my eye out for some. I do eat Greek yogurt, usually as a snack, but this is also a good idea to change around what I eat when. Sometimes I get so stuck in my food routines that it's hard for me to imagine how I could change them.

Thanks for the recipe, Allison. Those eggrolls sound yummy and pretty healthy, too! Definitely saving this one. I'd probably use a 2% milk cheese. I'll have to keep my eye out for bear creek soup mix, too.

Saef, I know long days of business meetings can be tough. But it sounds like you did very well by eating your apple and avoiding the vending machines. I personally think it's worse when they keep wheeling unhealthy snacks out for you. Even though I know I'll regret eating them, I want to anyway. Thankfully for my waistline I don't attend that many work meetings.

CherryPie99
01-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Jen, I've heard of PB2 but never tried it bc I like "normal" pb so much on apples, toast etc, but this does sound like a great use where it would be worth having an extra product, especially since I do try to keep my breakfasts at 400 cals max. Next time I go to the co-op in the city I'll pick some up.

I love peanut butter in all forms! In my caninet right now, there is PB2 regular, chocolate PB2, Burt's Bees Honey PB, Burt's Bees chocolate PB, and Peter Pan extra crunchy PB LOL

I had 1/3 cup of oatmeal and 2 tablespoons of PB2 this morning for breakfast - 160 calories.

traveling michele
01-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Saef-- I think you did amazingly well given the circumstances. My dh travels for work almost all of the time and I often wonder if the situation was reversed how I would handle all of the gourmet meals in exotic places and not so exotic places. This week he is local but still staying in the hotel and at the mercy of whatever they are serving. He does really well most of the time-- he'll tell me about all of the delicacies he turns down and how he just had a little meat or some sushi. I'm afraid I'd be diving into all of the special desserts and more.

alinnell
01-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Two days of being basically totally on plan. I'm tracking my intake with MyFitnessPal which is a lot easier to use than FitDay (IMO).

The only PB in my house is Jif creamy. I used to buy chunky but one day accidentally got the creamy and I like it a lot better. DS gets a PB&J for lunch and I get a lick when preparing the sandwich.

bargoo
01-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I love Peanut Butter but if you search my house you will not find any as I cannot be trusted with PB.
Megan , this morning I had oatmeal and added half a cup of Fiber One to it, very filling, The Fiber One does add calories but I just adjust that during the day, In my diet world it is all about Robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Shannon in ATL
01-30-2013, 11:09 AM
I love peanut butter. Just love it. I have to forget it is in the house sometimes.

Megan - I can't do protein powder in my oatmeal. What I had didn't hold up well to high temperatures and got icky. I do have some unflavored that is supposed to be good in it, but I've been afraid to try it after past failures.

Saef - great job yesterday.

WardHog
01-30-2013, 01:52 PM
Have you guys ever tried using non fat powdered milk instead of protein powder? I think it would be fine in oatmeal, although I have never tried it that way.

Megan1982
01-30-2013, 02:31 PM
I love peanut butter in all forms! In my caninet right now, there is PB2 regular, chocolate PB2, Burt's Bees Honey PB, Burt's Bees chocolate PB, and Peter Pan extra crunchy PB LOL

I love peanut butter in all forms too! So much so that all forms except plain, natural pb are banned from my house because I will eat and eat until gone. The Burt's Bees chocolate is like crack for me and I can't exercise portion control. My favorite is Maranatha organic crunchy pb with salt. It's delicious, but I can portion it out for myself and respect it. I couldn't have pb in my house for about 4 years. We've come to a better understanding now. I get the grocery store freshly ground natural to stuff inside my dog's bones. She'll spend hours licking it out. Like mother, like fur-daughter.

Ward, I will have to check out the powdered milk idea. I had a box for baking bread and will have to look at the nutrition stats again.

Shannon, when I tried the protein powder in oatmeal, I just mixed it in at the end. It didn't get microwaved so I didn't have problems with heat.

This day is draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaging on. :faint:

traveling michele
01-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Peanut Butter is one of the foods (oatmeal is too) that I "don't like" because when I was a child I was a picky eater. So, I never tried it. I suspect if I tried it now as an adult, I might become addicted (I sure do love Reese's Peanut Butter cups). So, I'm better off telling myself I don't like it! My dogs do love it too especially in a bone!

So..... off subject.... those of you that have ziplined...... I signed up to do it on our cruise but I'm afraid of heights. I really want to do it though. I'm wondering if I can handle it??? I'm not petrified of heights like some people are but I'm really not great about then.

My voice is still gone. It was an interesting day at work. I'd call in sick a day and sleep but it would cause way too much hassle at work. I only took one nyquil last night (I had taken two the prior couple of nights) and I didn't sleep well at all. Guess I'm back to two tonight (I was dragging in the morning which is why I went to one).

alinnell
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
So..... off subject.... those of you that have ziplined...... I signed up to do it on our cruise but I'm afraid of heights. I really want to do it though. I'm wondering if I can handle it??? I'm not petrified of heights like some people are but I'm really not great about then.

Michele~I'm terribly afraid of heights as well, but have zip lined on almost a dozen occasions and will do it again! You feel safe because you're in a harness, with a helmet, and you're admonished not to touch the equipment--only the guides are allowed to touch it to hook you up so that mistakes are averted. It's actually QUITE fun and serene. You'll like it despite being kind of nervous at the beginning. We took my MIL who was scared out of her wits and she ended up loving it.

traveling michele
01-31-2013, 12:09 AM
Thanks for the assurance Allison. That makes me feel much better!

Megan1982
01-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Yesterday was a really hungry day. I think it was a combo of it just being at that hungry point in my diet, and not great sleep the night before. Last night I took a sleeping pill and got in bed early. My yoga class was shortened from 90 to 30 minutes due to impending bad weather. I was sort of bummed. Should have gone home and continued the workout, but I ate dinner and sat on the couch until I went to bed instead. Oops. Will try to do better today. I'm also going out to lunch today for a co-worker's birthday and don't know where we're going yet. I hope it's somewhere I can get a salad and the only side option is not french fries.

Michele, I don't mind heights at all. I went ziplining in Costa Rica and loved it. A friend who hates heights went ziplining in CR also and hated it. We discussed it and figured out that where he went, he could see very far into the distance. He could see that he was up in a mountain, and from his description sounds like they were very high off the ground, >100 ft (but I take that with a grain of salt). I think I was slightly lower to the ground and we stayed in the tree canopy the whole time. You could see to the ground and around to the next trees, but not outside of the canopy. It made a difference. Do you have any info about the locale of your ziplining? I want to just tell you to go for it and that you'll have a great time, but don't want you to hate it!

bargoo
01-31-2013, 08:34 AM
2013 is starting out pretty well, a bumpy road but a net loss of 2.2 pounds.

01-01-13 118.4
01-31-13 116.2

traveling michele
01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Do you have any info about the locale of your ziplining? I want to just tell you to go for it and that you'll have a great time, but don't want you to hate it!

Megan-- we will be ziplining in Belize. Here is the description (I'm pretty excited about it!):

Your excursion begins at the pier where you'll board your air-conditioned transportation for the drive into the jungle. Your onboard tour guide will give a brief history of Belize, its people and culture along the way, as you drive through savannas and quaint villages to Jaguar Jungle Camp.

Upon arrival, trained staff will fit you with your harness and give you a safety briefing before you start your zipline adventure. Throughout your visit, your guides will point out the flora that the ancient people used for spiritual, health and medicinal purposes. Survey the incredible natural beauty, acknowledging that this is one of the sacred spaces of the ancient Mayans whose underworld of caves and tree canopies were used to send offerings to their gods.

You'll take a short winding trail through thick jungle, where the towering cohune palms dwarf you, to a limestone cliff that is your launching pad to zipline. Feel the rush as you fly 500 feet across the jungle for a bird's eye view of a cavernous opening to one of the Maya's ancient ceremonial caves. Your next traverse takes you to an unrivalled 700 feet across the jungle. Don't forget to look down onto dense flora that used to be the Mayan hunting ground and source of their daily needs. With your adrenaline pumping and anticipation running high, you'll switch gears from harness to life vests as the second leg of your quest begins, putting you up close and personal in the environment of the crystal caves phenomenon. Your tube ride finds you floating through a chamber where high ceilings and a stalactite-lined wall provide the sensation of being in a grand cathedral with a mighty pipe organ welcoming you into a sacred place. Marvel at the crystal-encrusted cave formations that are simply dazzling, as you meander up the river.

You'll leave your tube and walk inside the crystal chamber to explore the sacred underworld of the Mayans. Notice the pottery used by the Maya in ancient sacrificial ceremonies dating back to 300 to 900 A.D. Your path takes you through a tiny passage where you'll find yourself in front of a frozen waterfall column and glittering rim stone dam that is simple amazing. Once back on your tube, you'll make your way to an underground lagoon bordered by a mini waterfall. This signals the end of your subterranean adventure. You'll walk back to base camp where you'll have a chance to change clothes and shop for souvenirs of this once-in-a-lifetime experience before your transportation takes you back to the pier.

bargoo
01-31-2013, 10:21 AM
Michele, the Zipline doesn't make me as nervous as caves and subterranean adventure and underground description while sounding beautiful, I prefer to be on top of the ground.

alinnell
01-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Michele~I think that is the same zipline we just did in Belize! Well, maybe not. Ours was Chukka. (www.chukkacaribbean.com). These zip lines are very short. I think there are only five of them. They're quite easy. The only difference in the tour is that after our zip lines and before we got on the inner tubes to raft into the crystal cave, we did a rappel down the face of the mountain.

Here are a couple tips for you: take an extra set of clothes to change into. Take a towel. They have lockers available ($5-7) for your stuff while you're on your tour. You'll REALLY want to change clothes before you take the bus back (it's a long ride). The water in the cave is cool, but not what I'd call cold. We experienced a lot of rain that day and several of us ended up catching a cold and I'm sure it's because we didn't have dry clothes to change into.

What cruise line are you going on?

saef
01-31-2013, 10:48 AM
I'm down 2.3 pounds, despite not exercising yesterday, because I was once again trapped in that conference room from 7:30 AM to 5 PM, with few breaks. The highest-ranking manager in the room was one of those intense, wiry, analytical guys who never seem to need any food, water, coffee or bathroom breaks. This time I brought in a handful of raw almonds and a banana. And when we all had to go out to dinner together to celebrate what we'd accomplished (which was, basically, covering enormous white tearsheets with scribbled words, enough to paper the entire perimeter of the conference room), alas, the barbeque joint had few choices. And it was tapas-style. So I got an insufficient wedge of salmon cooked on a wooden plank, probably hickory wood -- indistinguishable in taste from the salmon that I bake in my own oven at home. And also a tiny iron skillet of oversalted collard greens and stewed tomatoes. I drank two huge glasses of unsweetened tea while everyone had craft beer from the extensive menu. And went home & ate a mango, standing up at my kitchen counter, at about 9 PM, then straight to bed.

Thus my lower weight this morning, even though my ankles are still a bit puffy. Sometimes I just can't believe how my body reacts to sodium. Or maybe some of the loss is due to having very little gum to chew during that whole time.

krampus
01-31-2013, 10:59 AM
I have been weighing at or under 123 all week since the Great Cold of Late January 2013 had me on <1400 calories for a few days. It's making me nervous as this is uncharted territory for me, but I am not being overly restrictive and have enjoyed in the past few days: ice cream sandwich, a deep fried cheeseburger, and pasta. Snacks have been at absolute zero and I have been to the gym every day so far. Maybe this is just my new weight.

Sheila53
01-31-2013, 02:10 PM
I love Peanut Butter but if you search my house you will not find any as I cannot be trusted with PB.

Me, too--the last part of the sentence. We do have PB in the house because my DH eats it. I have to work to get it because it's on a top shelf so I need to get a stool. But, I admit, sometimes I do get that stool out. DH asked me if there was anything he could do to support me in my quest to lose my holiday weight, and I said "Get rid of the peanut butter!" But really I can't ask him to do that so I need to put on my big girl pants and just quit listening to that voice in my head that says I deserve a spoonful or two or three. . .(because it just never stops at one).

Saef, that's is so frustrating to be somewhere you don't have good choices. You did remarkably well.

Bargoo, what a great start to 2013!

traveling michele
01-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Bargoo, Krampus and Saef-- congrats on excellent weights!

Krampus-- did the pizza wars happen yet?

Allison-- thanks for the tips. We are going on Princess.

saef
01-31-2013, 04:11 PM
Krampus, I want you to ride off into battle knowing that we're all thinking of you and praying that you do not become a casualty of the Pizza Wars.

Meantime, did I read that right? "Deep-fried cheeseburger"? Sheesh. Is it dipped in cornmeal & stuck on a stick, too?

krampus
01-31-2013, 04:45 PM
Pizza Wars is in 2 hours. What happens, happens. Thank you for encouragement. I will have excellent personals for everyone tomorrow.

WARNING: Reading this will raise your cholesterol. http://alloveralbany.com/archive/2011/02/22/the-deep-fried-hamburger-at-swiftys

Shannon in ATL
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Deep fried cheeseburger just gave me all kinds of weird pictures in my head. :)
Good luck tonight, Krampus!

Sheila - i have to measure pb. Straight from the jar is a call for disaster.

Good job with your choices, Saef! That place would have been tough for me. I love craft beer.

Michele, the zip line looks awesome to me. Enjoy it. :)

I'm feeling good today. Two days in a row. Tough Sunday and Monday coming - let's see how I feel after those.

BillBlueEyes
01-31-2013, 05:15 PM
Good grief, krampus, The Deep Fried Hamburger at Swifty's could stop the arteries of a buffalo.

Sure glad I don't live in Albany, NY.

Good luck with your pizza fest. Do you wear a toga and lay on couches?

traveling michele
01-31-2013, 05:48 PM
I don't know, Krampus. The deep-fried hamburger looks pretty amazing to me. I think I've been deprived too long..... or maybe my appetite is coming back from my illness. Either way, I'm also glad I don't live anywhere near the temptation!

Shannon in ATL
01-31-2013, 06:27 PM
I think I would love that deep fried burger with buffalo sauce. Like the fried cube steak sandwiches I remember from my youth, but so much better... I must never go there.

alinnell
01-31-2013, 06:42 PM
I would be more apt to try a deep fried burger IF it WASN'T a half-pound of beef! Anything bigger than 1/4 pound is way too much and it's too hard to get in your mouth.

That said, there is a bar near where I grew up called the Cotton Bottom Inn. They have the most incredible garlic burger. Oh, I salivate just thinking about it.

ICUwishing
02-01-2013, 09:22 AM
I'd eat a garlic burger in a heartbeat. :D

I've been at 150 only one day of the last 7, so things are getting better on the scale. I am finally ready to commit to some regular exercise; this week has been one of those introspective ones and I think I was able to flip the switch. God help me, I have registered for the Crim Training Program, and will be running the 10 mile on August 24. I intend to do it in less than 100 minutes, a feat I came close to achieving once. Official meetings begin May 14, and I need to be able to do 2-4 miles by then. :yes:

alinnell
02-01-2013, 09:33 AM
Things are better on the scale for me as well. I hit pre-vacation weight today and hope to see pre-holiday weight within two weeks. We got our new shipment of Nutrisystem foods and will begin with those on Monday.

Becky, can you teach me how to flip the switch? I ponder getting back to exercise and instead sit and wonder where I'll find the time.

kittycat40
02-01-2013, 09:47 AM
missing you guys
also wishing Krampus success - thought of you recently as I was enjoying absolutely perfect chicken wings :D

still battling 3-4 pound holiday/winter gain.

running still, so that's a very good thing. (and I mean on top of the kid/work thing ;))

be well, fellow fighters of the bulge

ICUwishing
02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
allison, I dunno. :shrug: I have a collection of pin-on buttons with a lot of crazy, silly, and occasionally deep quotes, and the one that's at eye-level with me 8 hours a day at work is one that says "Action: the antidote for despair". Between the stress of the re-siding project, the low light levels of mid-winter Michigan, TOM, the floor cleaning debacle, and just plain knowing that I could feel a whole lot better than I do - it's simply become ridiculous for me to sit on my butt and NOT change any longer.

kittycat40
02-01-2013, 10:02 AM
allison, I dunno. :shrug: I have a collection of pin-on buttons with a lot of crazy, silly, and occasionally deep quotes, and the one that's at eye-level with me 8 hours a day at work is one that says "Action: the antidote for despair". Between the stress of the re-siding project, the low light levels of mid-winter Michigan, TOM, the floor cleaning debacle, and just plain knowing that I could feel a whole lot better than I do - it's simply become ridiculous for me to sit on my butt and NOT change any longer.

Hey wow.
Several years ago I wrote something RockinRobin (wish u well wherever u r!) had as a signature, on a small scrap of paper. Of course, I'm not exactly sure what it said but it was highly motivating. I'll read this one a few more time. I like this.

Go Us :hug: :carrot: (yes, I feel the need for cheerleaders) :cheer2:

edited to add I have We are the Champions playing on my speaker right now :):):)

bargoo
02-01-2013, 10:08 AM
One of my favorite quotes is one I saw on a post somewhere. I have paraphrased it a little......'

Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.

traveling michele
02-01-2013, 10:24 AM
One of my favorite quotes is one I saw on a post somewhere. I have paraphrased it a little......'

Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.

Love this one and

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"

Started January at 130, ended January at 124. My redline is 125 so I'll take it. I'm concerned about the damage I may do this weekend, but I'll buckle back down after that.

traveling michele
02-01-2013, 10:28 AM
And I found some pretty incredible abdominal muscles hiding last night before yoga started. I was laying down and I sat partway up (like a situp) and there was this huge lump in my lower abdomen. I almost panicked until I realized it was solid muscle! I'm not sure if it is more pronounced because I'm down a few pounds, or all of the yoga is tightening things up!?! We do a lot of situps in yoga and I've been working on my form. Either way-- I'll take it!

bargoo
02-01-2013, 10:46 AM
Michele, a six pound loss in January ! Fantastic, congratulations !

ICUwishing
02-01-2013, 10:48 AM
congrats on the abs, Michele! And an outstanding month on the scale!

kitty, good to see you - and it's a great thing that we are our own cheerleading squad here on this thread!

I can't get into the "nothing tastes as good as thin feels." I am a lifetime foodie, and will always be a lifetime foodie. There is nothing I won't try (as long as it isn't artificially colored). I like Wendalyn's position of 80-90% compliance - I just have to follow what works for me most of the time, but by golly, if something delicious and unusual comes along, I'm going to enjoy it 110% as the treat it is. :D Shucks, I generate enough stress for myself already! I don't want to add food to the mix.

Megan1982
02-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Being fat is hard
Losing weight is hard
Maintaining is hard
Choose your hard.

Thanks, I needed this reminder today. Yesterday was not a good day in dieting world. Went out for lunch and did the responsible thing, got grilled chicken salad and ate only teensy amount of the bread before the meal because I was absolutely starving. There were cupcakes for the birthday girl and I had one. I was still hungry, and frustrated, and they were calling to me (and they weren't that great, but tasted heavenly in my deprived state). Of course that was a bad idea and set me on a sugar frenzy. I ate some strawberries and an extra oz of peanuts and just kept walking the dog longer than I intended after work, bc I knew if I went home I'd eat. The day ended at slightly higher cals than planned (1800) but by no means a terrible day. It's the mentality that frustrates me. I've been starving all week and I hate to be so hungry. But weight loss for me means hunger. This point is where I usually snap and "give up" weight loss efforts until a few months later. I hoped a few extra cals yesterday would help, but no, I started today slightly calmer, but still just hungry and trying to make it to the next planned meal or snack without snapping.

I've been tapped to help out with several events this weekend, and am sort of glad they will keep my busy. I think I will focus on getting extra sleep and getting workouts in early in the day to maximize energy.

January progress
Jan 1 weight: 160#
Jan 31 weight: 153# (Not sure if this is a "real" weight or a slight bobble downward, Feb 1 puts me at 153.5#, might be safer to say I'm definitely at 154#)
Loss was 5# of December vacation + holiday weight, 1-2# of additional weight, total 6-7#s in January. Pants-o-meter also feeling loose. I should add that Christmas weight is probably much easier to lose that "real" weight... KNWIM?

Michele, 6# loss and visible abs is awesome! :carrot:

krampus
02-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Pizza Wars was terrible, like "we left annoyed after 5 minutes" terrible. No pizza passed my lips. I did overeat at dinner (we went out after pizza fail) but much better than what a pizza hangover feels like (I know that feeling well).

Feb is off to a good start. I pawned off my dinner leftovers on my BF and have chicken and veggies. WI was 123.4 which is perfectly respectable and only 1 lb up from yesterday. Cough is there but I can breathe fine. Couples' weekend in a cabin this weekend - he teaches at International School in Istanbul, she runs a Boys & Girls club in NYC, and I'm excited to get to know them better.

Megan Balancing weight loss with manageable hunger is no easy task. I can't lose weight without being hungry either - and being hungry gets old FAST. 1800 is a fine "cap" and losing Xmas weight is still losing weight!

ICUWishing Meeee tooooooo. I remember "eating" was always on my list when I was a kid playing with friends and we got bored and couldn't decide what to do :P Until I cannot have my deep fried cheeseburgers and eat them too, I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing!

michele WOOT abs! That's really great, I have some abs on the upper part but the lower bit is still like someone glued marshmallows to my torso. Congrats on the net loss in January!

kittycat40 Thank you! How were the wings? What kind did you have? Are we "allowed" to talk about food pr0n?

alinell Mmmm garlic burger. I guess I have no limit for burgers - I do that super attractive snake face where I try to get it in there, not always successfully. Fitting in exercise is a good question - I think it's one of those things where you just MAKE room for it. I am lucky if I average 30 minutes 7 days a week!

BillBlueEyes I'm sure every town and city has their own fried concoctions. Pizza Wars was a total wash - Wing Wars and the Mac and Cheese Bowl have so much more promise.

Shannon Very glad to see you're feeling good. Are you going to be Superbowling?

saef Hope you can return to routine soon. Not being able to exercise and being stuck at meetings with NOTHING TO EAT OR DRINK is such a stressful feeling.

Sheila53
02-01-2013, 01:54 PM
I almost panicked until I realized it was solid muscle!

That's just so cool! Discoveries like that make my day. I still remember the first time I saw my collarbones again after decades.

Glad that no pizza passed your lips, Krampus, but sorry it was annoying. How did the person with social anxiety do? Have fun this weekend.

Megan, I agree that losing Christmas weight is still losing weight. I still haven't lost mine so I'd be :carrot: if I had.

When I walked into the weight room at the gym today, there was a 30ish woman with her DH who was spotting her on skull crushers. The weight was 20 lbs. I do 30 lbs. without a spotter and 35 lbs. if I can find someone to spot. Since I'm old enough to be the woman's mother (my kids are in their 40s and 30s--well, the youngest is 29, close enough), I had rather a prideful moment. Thankfully, there was no "fall" after that moment of pride, and I've been managing not to drop plate weights on my toes. Once was enough.

krampus
02-01-2013, 02:51 PM
He doesn't seem to have any reservations letting loose with those he's comfortable around - he likes me and my boyfriend a lot (I live with his sister) and is comfy with us. He had a blast just hanging out and being social, as did I, was a great evening!

Nice one on the skull crushers. I joined a second gym (YMCA) and in my few visits (5 or 6 times) I have not seen another female in the free weights section at all.

bargoo
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Had to get lab work today, as you leave the medical offices a short distance away to your right is IHOP,but if you turn to your left and go a little farther there is a Rite Aid , somehow sanity prevailed and I went to Rite Aid. I did pick up a People magazine as it had a picture of Paula Deen and her two DS, she has lost 40 pounds DS1 has lost 45 pounds, DS#2 has lost 33 pounds and her husband has lost 60 pounds, they all look great.

neurodoc
02-01-2013, 09:31 PM
ARGHHH. Weight has been stuck at 122 for over a week, despite keeping calories to 1400 and back to cardio 3 days this last week (and 4 the week before). So what did I do? I was so ticked that "perfect eating" wasn't getting me any closer to goal that I had ~1000 calories of nuts this afternoon, shortly after a nice healthy on-plan lunch. And then refused to go for my planned gym outing. I feel like a petulant 4 year old.

Krampus, what was so terrible about the pizza?

Megan, you say weight loss for you always means hunger. I totally get that, but is it possible for you to use volumetric tricks to help yourself? I'll do things like make low-fat vegetable soup and eat it until I'm too full to put anything else in my mouth, or grill veggies on a Foreman grill by the pound, or make kale chips and nosh away during a movie like it's popcorn. These tricks only work if I alternate them with more caloric options too, but I can usually do a combo that keeps me below 1400/day and still keeps the hunger pangs away (the psychological deprivation, now, that's a different story).

Michele- you crack me up: "this huge lump in my lower abdomen" is not exactly the expression most people use to describe their abs. If I were that kind of girl, I'd joke that when I feel that in my abdomen, it means I need to up my fiber intake for a few days. Oh wait, I guess I AM that kind of girl :>)

traveling michele
02-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Andrea-- that's usually the case for me too! I was surprised because the abs are hidden under extra skin, stretch marks, and who knows what else. Sorry your weight is stuck! Hopefully you'll see a whoosh soon.

I'm worried about where I will be on Monday. My appetite is back and we are off to Napa for my dh's 50th birthday. We are eating at Bottega tonight. We've never been and we are excited! Lots of other eating planned. Wish me luck.

bargoo
02-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Michele, please tell us what you had for dinner tonight. I looked at the menu for Bottega and would have a hard time choosing, not from a diet standpoint but because it all sounds wonderful. I used to watch Michael Chiarello on PBS, I don't watch cooking shows much anymore because it just makes me want to eat.

ICUwishing
02-03-2013, 09:25 AM
148.5 today; back on the slow slide downward. I spent 25 minutes trying to follow a yoga-for-flexibility DVD last night. I'm sure it will get better after I memorize the sequences, because they don't give you much time to watch what the instructor is doing. Apparently I am at some level below "beginner". :lol: I will get through it. Today's goal is to get through the TRX video and learn all the setups, and try all the exercises. And I am lining up my running partners for the days I don't have group runs; I am sucking as many people into my sphere as I can.

neurodoc
02-03-2013, 10:08 PM
Sure enough, my weight wouldn't drop an ounce from a week of steadfast calorie control, but one day with an extra 1000 calories caused it to rise by an entire pound and a half. I really didn't choose this hard.

traveling michele
02-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Michele, please tell us what you had for dinner tonight. I looked at the menu for Bottega and would have a hard time choosing, not from a diet standpoint but because it all sounds wonderful. I used to watch Michael Chiarello on PBS, I don't watch cooking shows much anymore because it just makes me want to eat.

The meal we had at Bottega was one of the best we've had in years-- and that's saying something as we've traveled all over the world and had some phenomenal meals.

We also indulged at several other meals so suffice it to say-- I shouldn't weigh for a few days. However, I'm a glutton for punishment and I'll weigh tomorrow to see how much damage I've done.

For the meal at Bottega we followed the advice of recommendations and tried some items we probably wouldn't normally have chosen. For a starter, we had "Polenta under glass"-- it was polenta delivered in a glass jar, with a layer of cheese and mushrooms-- you scooped it out on your plate and put a few drops of balsamic reduction on top. Amazing! Their bread was also amazing and came with a delicious garlic spread. Then, we split a pasta dish-- it was rigatoni with mushrooms and rabbit. Delish! Then we had short ribs-- we never would have ordered them-- I don't even remember what they came with but it was all amazing. For dessert, we (mostly me) had a molten lava chocolate cake with a delicious sauce and hazelnuts on top. Keith had lots of wine (I don't drink). Quite a meal!!!!

ICUwishing
02-04-2013, 07:35 AM
michele, that sounds like an absolutely fabulous dinner! :drool: Given how different it is from your normal eating plans, I think I'd forego the weighing for a day or two also!

Andrea, sympathies on the rough week. Hopefully some of it's due to you still healing up - as I recall, you've had multiple trips under the knife in the last year.

Yesterday I did get the TRX out, I watched the video, and followed along as carefully and slowly as I could. 45 minutes later, I was a shaking, out-of-breath mess. I choose to laugh at myself and look ahead to getting better. Well ... I think by tonight, laughing is probably going to hurt a lot, so maybe I'll just smile. There's an exercise that's called a "suspended plank with twist" where you have both palms on the floor, feet suspended about 8", and you pull your knees up and to the side, take them back to start, and then pull up and twist to the other side. The video says repeat for 30 seconds. HAHAHAHA!! Not. Yet. 2 on each side, and I was face-planted into the carpet. :D I need to start a journal - I am sure there's going to be more comedy to come!

bargoo
02-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Michele, that meal does sound wonderful I am glad you enjoyed it. Don't fret about the scale, you deserve a treat every now and then and this was a special occasion.

traveling michele
02-04-2013, 10:10 AM
Becky-- good for you to try! I'm sure it will get better and a journal sounds like an excellent idea.

I did get on the scale (of course) to assess the damage-- up 4 pounds.... hoping a few days of water and smart eating will get rid of at least some of it.

Megan1982
02-04-2013, 11:14 AM
I could have used a little more exercise over the weekend, but overall I think I achieved a good balance of busy/social time/me time. I served concessions at two theatre performances, had an impromptu dinner gathering at my house Saturday with a few friends (even fed everyone a pretty healthy dish without their realizing it :oP), drank a little wine Saturday, and yes, I did go watch the Superbowl with a few friends. I'm proud to say that there were some munchies and while I had some I didn't go overboard - and I didn't have to think too hard about it, either. Thank goodness the gnawing hunger I felt last week has abated a bit.

Somehow despite the wine Saturday night, I didn't gain weight over the weekend. 153 Friday, 153 today. I've got no idea how that happened but I'm not complaining.

Back to the grind this week and Tuesday exercise will be my priority. Tonight I'm hosting my book club and need to go straight home to get cooking. I've come up with a fairly healthy meal of pork loin roast, quinoa salad, and a green salad. It isn't a particularly inspired menu but it will suffice.

Michele, that meal sounds delicious! Glad you enjoyed it.

Becky, your TRX workout sounds really tough. Good for you!

Andrea, sorry about the weight woes. That is really frustrating. Hang in there. I do eat volumetrically in that I do intentionally eat a lot of non-starchy veggies, large salads, and measured servings of fruits to try to fill me up, or drink hot tea or water before I turn to food to make sure I feel real hunger. I have to keep my cals so low to see scale movement, so I sometimes have to choose to be hungry, or eat a little more to make it liveable but see less progress on the scale. Luckily it does seem to wax and wane and isn't constant. I should make a big pot of low-cal veggie soup, though, good idea! Hot soup would be nice with the winter chill.

krampus
02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Bloated mess today, I ate pretty poorly all weekend. Now I will overcompensate in the 4 days before my trip.

Cabin in the woods upstate with another couple was fun, though we ate ridic amounts of chocolate chip cookies and were lazy.

Got in a dumb car accident where I tapped a parked car and walked away because I saw no damage. Owner saw it happen and followed me to my friend's house and then called the police, who were basically like "there is no damage so let your insurance company deal with it" and I feel like such an a$$hole. Ate pizza during Superbowl. Had vivid nightmares of biohazard-covered toilets and slashing up young children with knives. Really ready for my vacation.

michele - 4 lbs of WONDROUS SENSATIONAL once-in-a-lifetime temporary water weight ;)

Andrea - Pizza Wars had 4 vendors and 20+ minute waits for tiny terrible looking slices, so we left. Sorry you're battling the scale and being driven literally nuts. I saw colace at the store the other day and thought of you.

Megan - Awesome re: no gain all weekend. I love when that happens, though it never happens.

Becky - you should videotape your experiments with the TRX! :D

bargoo - glad the Deen family is getting healthier and you evaded IHOP. Totally not worth it.

Shannon in ATL
02-04-2013, 01:10 PM
I'm the same weight today as Friday. Now, that won't be the case tomorrow. We were supposed to have nachos last night with our neighbors and they ended up not able to come over so we didn't eat the nachos and told them we would have them tonight. We did end up eating somewhat badly, but not too bad calorie wise - mostly sodium. So tonight is going to be terrible and I had wanted it to be the start of a good week. I don't like changes to my schedule, I'm having to deal with that annoyance more than anything else I think...

Sheila53
02-04-2013, 01:39 PM
There's an exercise that's called a "suspended plank with twist" where you have both palms on the floor, feet suspended about 8", and you pull your knees up and to the side, take them back to start, and then pull up and twist to the other side. The video says repeat for 30 seconds. HAHAHAHA!! Not. Yet.

Oh, yeah--we do those in class. Even just the plank is hard when your feet are in those wobbly straps. Does the video show "atomic crunches?" Those are killer, too. Hhmm, everything is kind of killer using TRX--but it's a good thing. The fact that you can even do two is impressive---sometimes for me it's one rep, rest, one rep, rest, one rep, rest. . .

Shannon, schedule changes are annoying. I'm rather set in my ways.

Krampus, wow, those people took that to a whole new level, didn't they? No reason to feel bad--you didn't do any damage to the other car. Most people shrug that kind of stuff off rather than calling the police.

Megan, had to laugh at you serving people health food, and they didn't realize it. Glad you did so well and that your raving hunger has lessened.

Michele, how yummy! I'd take the chance to go eat food prepared by a world class chef.

I am pleased to report another pound gone. It's slow going, but I'm glad it's in the right direction. Now I'm "only" .5 lbs. above my red line. With all the TRX and weight lifting I've been doing, I am fitting into my pants a lot better even though I haven't lost much weight. Should measure--but never do. The pants-o-meter works just as well as a tape measure, IMHO.

Shannon in ATL
02-04-2013, 02:02 PM
I need to find some TRX exercises. I have the straps, but no exercises to use on it.

traveling michele
02-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Sorry about the car accident Krampus. I can't imagine they would bother calling insurance if there is no damage.

Yesterday in the grocery store parking lot, dh barely touched another car trying to put the cart away. A lady was sleeping in the car and she came barreling out saying "you hit my car!". Dh looked and said there wasn't a mark-- she kept looking and giving us dirty looks-- oops!

Good jobs on the weights Sheila, Shannon and Megan. Good luck tonight Shannon!

alinnell
02-04-2013, 02:33 PM
Shannon~TRX exercises (http://www.trxtraining.com/train/exercises) in video format.

What do you attach your TRX to? Do you have to have a permanent bar or something installed?

Shannon in ATL
02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
Allison - I have a squat cage with a pullup bar and have it attached to that. Though it came with option wall mounts with anchors. Thanks for the link!

Michele - your dinner does sound amazing. :) Why was a woman sleeping in the car in the grocery store parking lot I wonder?

Sheila - good job on the pants-o-meter! Woo!

Krampus - sorry about the car accident. That is aggravating. And you will be ready for your trip. Lots of water and green tea.

Megan - I love your pork loin, quinoa and salad recipe. :)

Andrea - mine doesn't go down after a week of good, but also pops up fast from one day of bad. Frustrating.

Bargoo - good save on iHop.

Becky - I just saw that exercise you mention on video. Ick. I must try it.

I'm tired all of a sudden, and cramping out of nowhere (three weeks before I should be) and my head is pounding. I'm wondering if I need to try to nap before tonight's fiesta instead of trying to push exercise. Which I don't want to do, as it will throw me off track. But last time I pushed when I felt terrible and exercised anyway I ended up injured. Meh. I have an hour before I leave, maybe I'll feel better.

WardHog
02-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Hmm ... I think I am seeing a trend here. I hit a parked car the other week at my gym. It was a monster SUV so I only hit the tire, so no damage to it, while just breaking the turn signal indicator on my car. It was a little triangle about 4 inches across but still set me back $65. Since there was no damage I did not leave a note or anything but I still kind of felt like a schmuck.

Then this morning my DH backed his new (to us) car into his old one which was parked in the driveway. Neither one was damaged, but now we're even. :)

There's a couple at my gym who work out with those TRX bands. All the stuff they do looks really cool, and they are both very ripped.

Mudpie
02-05-2013, 05:22 AM
Sometimes just tapping a car can cause a lot of damage. I was backing out of a client's driveway years ago, wearing a hoodie (winter - cold :brr: in the car). Having no peripheral vision I backed into the front tire of a car parked on the street, just tapping it.

My client had driven up in her car and was waiting to get into her driveway so she saw it. I got out and looked and there was a teeny scuff on the tire. No problem I thought and drove away. :shrug:

I got a call several hours later from the owner of the car I tapped. Apparently the whole front end something or other was broken, he couldn't drive the car, and had to have it towed to his dealership. It had to be fixed to the tune of :yikes: $1200 (and no it wasn't a Porsche or something utterly ridiculously expensive). My client, of course, told her neighbour that it was me that tapped his car. I was still struggling to get the business going so I had to pay for the damage myself, rather than going through insurance and having it triple the next year.

I have never, ever worn a hoodie up in the car again, even as a passenger. The expensive life lessons stay with me.

ICUwishing
02-05-2013, 09:06 AM
I've tapped, and been tapped with no real consequences. :crossed: I did have a minor incident last year where I was going up a double-lane off ramp, and a woman in the right lane was just a little too far out in my left lane. Our mirrors touched - and hers completely disintegrated. Just the plastic shell on the outside - the mirror itself was functional and intact. My car didn't even get a scratch. We exchanged info; I apologized for my negligence and misjudging the width of my car, and assured her I would pay for the repair. She told me she would call me when she had the estimate. I never heard from her. Interestingly, I just found her number the other day; I need to call and follow up.

I don't expect to move past the TRX Basic Training video for quite a while. The second day soreness is far more involved and wide-ranging than the first - my hips and quads are so sore I have a zombie-walk thing going on. Took 10 full minutes of walking just to loosen up! It's sad but it does amuse me to get the full impact of my marshmallowness. :lol: The "atomic crunch" was shown as an advanced move. Given that I can hardly even breathe, let alone cough, without wanting to whimper a little, I think that one will have to wait. :D

traveling michele
02-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Not to laugh at your expense Becky, but I am chuckling at your zombie walk and your inability to breathe-- wow-- you must have worked some very dormant muscles!

ICUwishing
02-05-2013, 10:20 AM
Oh, please do laugh, Michele! This getting back into shape is going to be quite the adventure, apparently. I'm planning to bring you all along for the ride! I think if I write this all down and describe it as accurately as I can, it might remind me later of why it's not a good idea to get this soft. :D

saef
02-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I can relate, Becky. I definitely worked my shoulders and arms to fatigue this morning, as I am having trouble keeping them in a straight horizontal line over my keyboard while typing this. I can only imagine what kind of soreness is in store for me tomorrow. This does eventually help us in some way, doesn't it? And it will be worthwhile ... at some point in the future ... right? At moments like this, I think back to my most strenuous weight-loss efforts, when I was still over 200 pounds, and how I kept telling myself that every walk that I went on was like depositing money in the bank, and that eventually it would add up to something.

I had a big whoosh this morning on the scale after about five days of cutting back on snacking on nuts and exerting some portion control. Down about four pounds. This was so insane, I stared at the scale in incomprehension. And walked to the gym thinking, "This is so strange. I have nothing to reproach myself for ... This can't possibly last."

ICUwishing
02-05-2013, 11:48 AM
saef, I love the analogy of putting money in the bank. I suppose if I hadn't been running an exercise deficit the size of the national debt, this would be a slightly different picture. :D Congrats on the huge whoosh! And even more so, congrats on having some peace and quiet in your head! Telling the negative voices to STFU takes practice - quite a lot of it, I've discovered. I'm on my 2nd year of resolving to counter each and every denigrating internal comment with "where are your facts?" or "opinions are like ... <fill in the blank>". The only downside is that I have these responses down to a science so well, occasionally I spit them out at a live human instead of my inner voice if they say something that sounds too much like what I tell myself. This has very interesting effects, obviously. o_O

traveling michele
02-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I just realized my avatar says "four years maintaining" and I've been maintaining over five years now! Off to amend it now.

Mudpie
02-06-2013, 05:27 AM
I just realized my avatar says "four years maintaining" and I've been maintaining over five years now! Off to amend it now.

That's awesome michele. :bravo:

Megan1982
02-06-2013, 08:27 AM
Great job Michele! 5 Years is wonderful! :cp:

Yesterday was a Bad Day. I overate. I ate leftover cake that was in the office. I ate way more than I should. I realized after work (when I took a 1.5 hour nap instead of exercising with the dog) that I was exhausted. 2 nights of slightly less sleep than needed left me exhausted. I feel sort of like a wimp. And I took some vitamins, too, just in case. I'm clinging here - trying to regroup to get my eating and exercise back on track for the rest of the week. Instead of skipping yoga tonight "because I need to burn some calories with cardio!!!!" I think I'll go to class to help me get mentally back in the game.

Gotta run to work. Have a good day all!

Sheila53
02-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Yahoo, Michele!

Megan, getting mentally back in the game is definitely more than half the battle. IMHO, if you don't have the right mindset, you will have a hard time succeeding.

Becky, just the fact that you're doing the video on your own is impressive. If I didn't have the class, I don't think I'd be doing that much on the TRX. We had a sub on Monday, and he had us do moves for one minute straight--so one minute of one-armed bicep curls, then the other arm, then triceps for one minute, then back again to biceps. Zowie! Love having my triceps hurt, though--makes me feel like I'm getting stronger. He also had us do one pushup, then right into one mountain climber, then a pike position (feet in the straps, of course). Yeah, uh-huh, not happening. My DH surprised me by being able to do the pikes--I had a really hard time.

Saef, congrats on the "whoosh!"

I lost another pound so I'm now under my redline by .5 lbs. Yay!! I'm definitely more of a turtle than a hare, but I'm okay with that. Someone asked me the other day how I lost all the weight. That's such a hard question for me because I know what people want to hear is something that's easy and fast--and neither of those applied to me.