South Beach Diet - Weekend Beach Chat 1/5 & 1/6

View Full Version : Weekend Beach Chat 1/5 & 1/6

TwynnB
01-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Good morning sleepy chicks!

I woke up way earlier than I wanted (although 6:30 isn't horrid) and here I am. Trying to increase my caffeine levels, then I might go on a run this morning, then off to watch The Hobbit with DH this afternoon! He wants to watch the 3D version, I'm not really thrilled about that!

What's everyone doing this weekend?

Ooooops, this should be weekend beach chat - I wonder if an awesome mod can fix it :D

cottagebythesea
01-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Good morning, Tammy! I was fiddling around, trying to edit the title of today's post, but I'll have to leave it for Ruth, since she's the SuperMod and has higher powers than me. :) My DD and her family saw the 3D version of The Hobbit and said it was awesome.

Jake and I are getting ready to drive over to NJ to spend the day at my DD's, but right now Tyler is wanting all my attention. BBL!

CyndiM
01-05-2013, 08:51 AM
Good morning early birds :coffee2: I had planned to be up and out today but some middle of the night insomnia convinced me to start a little slower. Once everyone is awake and breakfasted we are heading out to pick-up the winter CSA (love that!) then off for a birding adventure.

Tammy - I enjoyed the Hobbit but not sure if I could do 3D. Hope it's a fun day.

Cottage - I did manage to change the title, will PM you about that. I stumbled on it accidentally once (like so many things I know how to do!). Hope your Saturday is relaxing.

I'm going to fire up the bathroom heater and get in the shower. Happy weekend Beachy Chicks

Ruthxxx
01-05-2013, 08:58 AM
Good morning! It is almost balmy here this morning at 24ºF! We did get more snow last night so I no longer have yellow on my deck. By the way, after glucosamine and baby aspirin, Disney is now able to go down the deck stairs. :carrot:

Thanks for starting us up, Tammy, and the title looks fine to me. I could be wrong but I think the OP can change the thread title by using "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread.

Linda, I lucked out and did not have to drive to Book Club last night. Toni's overprotective husband drove us there and picked us up later. Barb and I were very grateful because it was snowing and blowing and visibility was poor. On the way home we saw five of Santa's deer just standing in the middle of the road waiting for us. We stopped and just watched for a while - beautiful creatures who were in absolutely no hurry to leave.

Jazz and I are off to do pet therapy this morning since I completely forgot about it last weekend. I had no idea what day of the week it was from the 25th through to New Year's Day! I'm not sure what the rest of the day will bring. There may be a fair amount of de-decorating happening and I know laundry should be on the list. I hate "shoulds"!

Happy weekend to us all. :cofdate:

Ruthxxx
01-05-2013, 09:02 AM
Good morning, Cyndi. Sounds like you are rarin' to go. Enjoy the birding - does the pooch go along? You have a winter CSA? What do they have - storage veggies and fruit? Or is there a greenhouse?

CyndiM
01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Cricket does not usually go for short day trips. We hate to leave her in the car but want to be able to have lunch somewhere.
This is the second year for the winter CSA and I love it. It's the farm I get my eggs from in the summer so we get eggs, chickens, storage veggies, greenhouse greens whenever the weather allows, frozen veggies from the season, some canned stuff like salsa and she has baked goods, mini quiches, cheese and honey from other local folks, and beef. The woman who runs it for the farm is a good cook so she often has extras.
I was just printing my list for the week:
2 Kale (1.0 bunch)
1 Swiss Chard (1.0 bunch)
1 Turnips, small (2.0 lbs)
2 Spinach (0.5 lbs)
1 Beets, red, small (2.0 lbs)
1 Red Peppers, chopped (0.5 lbs)
1 Green Peppers, chopped (0.5 lbs)
1 Chicken Pot Pie (1.0 each)
1 Chicken, Whole/frozen (1.0 each)
2 Eggs (1.0 dozen)

Lexxiss
01-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Good Morning:sunny:

Off to work...I've had a yummy smoothie to keep me fueled.

Have a great weekend everyone!

jenne1017
01-05-2013, 09:38 AM
good morning!

after a whopping 4 hours of sleep, DW woke me (with lights on, shower running, scale beeping and overall loudness) because she was going to take Aimee into the vet - she's had an itchy ear for 2 days now and DW googled it and thinks she has ear mites. She stays indoors, Chloe doesn't seem to be itchy and I think it's wax build-up, which doesn't warrant an emergency vet visit. So, we made an appointment for Monday night.

Now I am debating between coffee or more sleep!

Twynn - I guess I am the only one who has no interest in seeing The Hobbit? I didn't see the Rings Trilogy either. So I vote no 3D ;)

Cyn - enjoy bird watching

Morning everyone else :wave:

Going to lunch with a friend and trying a new restaurant. We did a successful 2 weeks of Ph1 but since TOM started yesterday, I didn't hop on the scale. I was down 4 pounds last week and I'd rather not be frustrated. I will weigh in on Tuesday morning. This week will be a big one - DW is off to her first day of work at her new job on Monday, then Aimee will go to the vet that night. I will be looking for jobs and starting my scrapbook project. And hitting the gym :)

Happy Saturday!

jekel383
01-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Good morning, chatty chicks today!

Jenn I am with you, no Hobit for me either. Lol No Harry Potter either when that was popular.

Ruth, glad Jazz is moving around much better and you did not have to drive last night. I too enjoy looking at deer they are magnificent.

Tammy enjoy the movie with the hubby

Cyndi I wish we had a CSA. I do try to buy my produce in season from local growers by my friend Joe's. We don't have any by me :( My favorite place has "seconds" nice size bags of mixed veggies that well look a little malformed. Normally there are 6-8 items in the bag for a dollar! I'll eat "ugly" veggies. She started doing this because "city folks" Woukd not buy anything unless it looked perfect. She said theses veggies are very popular with the locals and that is who really keeps her in business.

Jenn I am with you NO weigh in with TOM. Glad you are having another good OP week. Enjoyyour scrapbooking time. Oh and I do read your blog here :)

Debbie I hope you get a day off soon, you always seem to be dashing off to work.

Natasha if you are reading this good morning :) hope you are doing well

Hi to all the chicks yet to check in. Enjoy your day.

triplestep
01-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi, everyone. Happy to see you all today - looks like posting will be difficult on days that I work, but I did try to keep up. Going back was hard; the commute seemed longer than usual - I think I get used to doing it every day, then a long break gets me out of that routine.

I did OK staying on plan and not being at home, but I can easily see myself eating the same foods every day I'm in the office. Taking the same snacks, making the same salad bar lunch. Anyone have any wisdom about this as it relates to weight loss success? I've read that letting your body acclimate to the same foods each day will eventually slow weight loss. Something about your body wanting to keep weight on for survival, and "learning" how to do that more efficiently if you eat the same foods each day. Urban myth?

Either way, I'm going to try to change it up at night and one the weekends.

Cyndi, I admire you for using the winter CSA. We've often considered signing up for the CSA I have access to through work, but the amount of veggies - combined with the fact that you never know what's coming in the box - has scared us off. We're just not good enough cooks to handle it! :^: We do have a really good winter Farmer's Market, though. It's a little less daunting for us to have more choices over what we're getting, and the amounts as well.

Jennifer and Jenn - I'm with you both on the hobbit. (Was never a Harry Potter fan either, and oddly, neither were my kids. Seems like everyone kids were into that at some point.)

Ruth, I can't believe the deer just milled around with a car in the road! Sounds like a beautiful sight. I'm a city girl (grew up in NYC, live in Providence now) so I never see or even hear about things like that.

:wave: to everyone!

WaistingTime
01-05-2013, 10:44 AM
Good morning.

triplestep - I will often eat the same things. It is just easier for me to be planned and know what I like. BUT, I do think that over time our body can adjust to "sameness" either in eating or exercise and it can slow down our metabolism and subsequent weight loss. Years ago when I did Weight Watchers, I learned about something they called the Wendie Principle, where you varied your point (or calorie) intake over the course of several days. Bottom-line - I think you are fine for now, but if you stall, try shaking things up with more variety.

DH and I are going to watch my 8 year old nephew's basketball game this afternoon. Other than that, no set plans. DS leaves Monday and we need to get his resume done for summer internships so maybe that will finally happen today. He got his dad's procrastination gene!

Have a great weekend, all.

weezle
01-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi - checking in. Got my hair chopped off (Anna's too) this morning and then hit the grocery store. Gonna feel much better... I didn't have any beans in the house so I was running low on meal ideas.

Speaking of which, I bought dried beans... I know you soak them overnight and then rinse them good... can you freeze them? If I wanted to soak the entire package and use some, and save the rest for another time?

I haven't posted any menus or anything because I haven't truly been doing Ph1 of SBD, I've been doing something different - no processed foods at all, including artificial sweeteners, margarine, etc. It's a personal decision... my hormones are all out of whack, so I'm hoping this will work for me.

Anyway, let me know what you girls think about freezing the beans after you soak and rinse them. Good idea? Bad? Anyone tried?

Lisa

Ruthxxx
01-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Lisa, I have soaked and cooked beans and then frozen them. They end up much like canned. Give it a try because then you have cut out a lengthy cooking time. I guess it really depends on how you intend to use them.

paydaymom
01-05-2013, 03:54 PM
Hello everyone! I am a newbie!

Today I am day 4 of phase 1 and feeling like if I can make it past today I can do the rest. I am not sure why today is so hard...no energy and cravings. I do think I have done anything to trigger either one. YUCK!!

You can cook your fresh beans and then freeze. Also I buy the fresh beans, look them and then put them in a ziplock in the freezer to keep them fresh. We can tell the difference between fresh and not fresh!!

weezle
01-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi Payday! :wave: :welcome:

Thanks girls for the beans advice. I may soak them overnight tonight and cook them tomorrow, use the ones I need and freeze the rest then. :D

shelflife
01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Hi ladies -- I figured I'd check in for the weekend! I'm never around early enough to catch the action on the weekday chats!

I had a taxing summer and fall. I was on some grueling (emotionally and physically) rotations in adult medicine and oncology, and combined with family stressors, I eventually spiralled into a dark place and did a lot of binge eating. I eventually had some vacation and am finally starting to feel like myself again (just in time to go back to work :^:), so I'm working on getting back in control. I'm on day 5 of phase 1 -- so far so good. I'm tracking my food on MFP, and I know i need to make exercise a regular part of my life.

I know how horrible it feels to a desperate, chaotic out of control binge-eater, and how good it feels to be in control; I just, somehow, have to avoid getting sucked in again.

paydaymom
01-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi ladies -- I figured I'd check in for the weekend! I'm never around early enough to catch the action on the weekday chats!

I had a taxing summer and fall. I was on some grueling (emotionally and physically) rotations in adult medicine and oncology, and combined with family stressors, I eventually spiralled into a dark place and did a lot of binge eating. I eventually had some vacation and am finally starting to feel like myself again (just in time to go back to work :^:), so I'm working on getting back in control. I'm on day 5 of phase 1 -- so far so good. I'm tracking my food on MFP, and I know i need to make exercise a regular part of my life.

I know how horrible it feels to a desperate, chaotic out of control binge-eater, and how good it feels to be in control; I just, somehow, have to avoid getting sucked in again.

I am so sorry!! Here is to you getting control!! I fight the same demon!

yankeeinsouth
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi Tammy!!!!

I'm here. Finally!! Day 4 of Phase 1 and going well. Husband is doing it too. I agree with one of the other posters, Day 4 seems harder than the other days. I was thinking maybe because it is a weekend but the cravings are kinda sneaky today. I find myself almost absently putting things in my mouth. I'm taking the tree down today and was thinking that the month old candy cane looked good!!!! I don't ever want those normally but today it looked good. Almost licked kids pudding tops, etc.
I'm going to try the cream cheese cupcakes today, getting a little sick of eggs. My first introduction to turkey bacon was ok. I'm going to o.d. on chili though.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend. Am I the only one who has to spend this weekend taking the tree down?

jenne1017
01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Oh, I LOVE HP - just not TLOTR or Hobbit. :shrug:

weezle
01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Jen.... Gasp? No LOTR or Hobbit?!?!?!? Youuuuuu shalllllll nottttt PASSSSSS!!!!!

(Sorry, über geek here :lol:)

Ruthxxx
01-06-2013, 08:22 AM
Finally it's the 12th day of Christmas and I'm glad. It's getting pretty crowded and noisy in here. The birds and ladies dancing don't bug me as much as those silly lords a'leaping. The whole lot will be out of here by sunset.

Left my car in the lane instead of in the barn last night and today it's covered with snow. I'll have to get out there shortly to clean it off and move it so Richard can plough. So far he's ploughed me out 11 times which is 8 more than all of last winter. I am debating about going to Church or not. Ours is now closed and I soon must make up my mind. I have a problem with services starting mid-morning, i.e. 10:30, and really loved our 8:30 service. I just may skip church for a while and shock a few people.

Time to turn on the dishwasher, get dressed and tackle the snow. I'll reward myself for shoveling with a soak in the tub and The New Yorker a bit later.

Enjoy your Sunday, whatever you do.

cottagebythesea
01-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Good morning! It's such a pretty morning here since it snowed overnight, and everything is covered in a fluffy white blanket. It will probably all melt once the sun comes out, but I'm enjoying it for now.

I'm taking my tree down today and will scout the house for any leftover decorations that I may have overlooked, then give the house a thorough cleaning. Having a tidy, uncluttered house helps me unclutter my mind, too. :dizzy: Hopefully, I can look forward to sneaking in a short nap this afternoon, since I haven't been sleeping well lately. :crossed:

TwynnB
01-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Awwww, no fair you chicks got snow and I didn't! Hope you enjoy your quiet morning in Ruth, and I hope you get a nap, Cottage!

I had a great run yesterday outside, and then the Hobbit was...okay. I just wasn't as enthusiastic about it as I was Lord of the Rings. I can't believe they're going to drag it into 3 movies, too! I did eat off plan last night at a nice restaurant, but the scale was still kind this AM, and I'm right back on. I don't get a date night *too* often!

Today is church, then piddle around the house. I'm like Cottage, I hope I get a nap too!

Pearlrose
01-06-2013, 09:25 AM
Good morning,

We got home yesterday afternoon and I had to do all of the unpacking and starting putting Christmas decorations away, I got all of the outside decorations put away at least.

Then I had to make a run to the grocery store so we could have healthy items to eat today. DH is going to join me eating healthy (his own version but atleast no more donuts and cookies in the house).

Weighed in this morning, didn't lose any weight but didn't gain either. Time to start working on eating Healthy starting today.

Sounds like everyone is doing well.

Jennifer-50 miles of biking that is impressive.

Ruth- I just love when animals like that just let us look at them by the side of the road

Cyndi- hope your having fun birding

Hello to everyone else, I need to get some work done before heading back to work tomorrow or else I will not be ready for a meeting and need to get ready for Church as well.

Have a wonderful Sunday everyone!

jekel383
01-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Good morning it was my last day to sleep in for awhile so I took advantage of it. Tomorrow it's back to work. I need to leave even earlier now as my train leaves at 4:56. I won't get home until around 8:30, but at least I have the train ride home to decompress.

Officially back under goal, now to get back to my low number. Goingbto my suster's to finally celebrate Christmas. Normally I bring dessert, but since it is a football day they are getting a huge pot of chili! Just finished a hearty bowl of Steele Oats (thanks forum for the recipe). Made them in the crockpot. Who knew 1 cup of oats made enough breakfast for the week!! I may bring some with me to Utica to start the day of healthy. I packed last night and will try to squeeze in a few more things today.

No snow here either, but I am not complaining :) Welcome to our newest beachers and returning ones too! Enjoy your Sunday

Lexxiss
01-06-2013, 10:50 AM
GoodMorning:sunny:

Just getting up...heading down to find coffee. The visiting pug went home yesterday :dancer: so after 2-1/2 weeks of shedding on everything (the other night I caught him in our bed on my pillow) I'm off to do a major clean.

Happy Sunday!

weezle
01-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Debbie, want to swing by and start on our house? It never ends with a Siberian husky...

Lazy morning. Still headachey but it should pass soon. I'm in the chair with my mini iPad, Chris is on the couch with his iPad, Voodoo is on the love seat taking a nap but pretending to be standing guard at the window, and Anna's in the shower. Gotta run a few places for Couponing purposes today but otherwise just going to relax I think.

Need to cook my soaked beans though. Hope everyone has a great day!

Lisa

CyndiM
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Good morning :coffee2: Already been up and out and done laundry. not a bad start to my day off. Also on the list - crockpot chili for the week, lots of veggies to roast, more laundry, exercising and cleaning. It's going to be a busy week so I'll get as much done ahead as I can.

It was nice to get a no work day yesterday :) We did not get THE bird but we did see some good birds. It was fun introducing a new birder to the whole bird chasing thing. I wish I could go again today, I'm sure there's people from all over the east coast. Yesterday we met someone from NJ and another group from PA.

Lisa - I have indestructible digestion but I never soak my beans first. I just pop them in the the pressure cooker. I have gotten into the habit of cooking two bags at once and freezing in 2 cup portions. What kind are you trying?

Time to get back to chores.

weezle
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
Cyndi: I'm a gas bag. It's genetic. :D I'm going to cook pinto and black beans. Much different from buying cans for sure!!!

Natasha1534
01-06-2013, 01:41 PM
*waves* Oh my, it's been a busy weekend!!! I'm just popping in to say hello and I'll try to come back in later and actually read the thread. I stayed busy preparing for our pancake breakfast fundraiser yesterday and now I'm completely worn out. I'm glad we were able to pull it off and I'm ecstatic that we raised just under $1500 for our officer (his house burned down while he was at church w/ his family a couple of months ago) but I am definitely glad it's over as well.

Nap time!!!

Schmoodle
01-06-2013, 02:12 PM
Hello, chickens! I am so glad to see all my 3fc friends and role models holding down the fort. I wanted to pop in and wish you all a healthy and happy new year! :hug: I am pseudo-South Beaching these days, still on that quest for the formula that will become a way of life for me. I'm doing a lot of research and experimenting, but I know that SB is the healthy basis that works for me. It's when I start tweaking it too much that I get into trouble.

I'm working my way through Kalyn's top ten for 2012. So far I've made the cauli bake, amazing, and I've got the Hungarian cuke salad chilling right now. Also made a batch of lentil-veggie soup for quick lunches for the week. Feeling a taco bake on the horizon (:D cottage). I need check out your new recipes - I know the amazing cooks here must have posted lots of wonderful things since I've looked at them.

We saw the hobbit last weekend, loved it. I am not a big LOTR fan either, HP yes, but I've always loved the hobbit. It was one of my kids favorites when we used to read together before bed.

I don't know if I'll be able to get myself on here every day, but will try to pop in more often.

Ruthxxx
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Schmoodle! So glad to see you again. Welcome back!

CyndiM
01-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Schmoodle! I just had to say that :) It's always good to see you

I've got both Kalyn's top 10 and her Slow Cooker from Scratch top 20 rounding out my menus to start the year. I'd love to read your reviews, especially if you find a really good (or bad, though I've never had that happen with Kalyn's recipes) recipe.

cottagebythesea
01-06-2013, 02:32 PM
Schmoodle!!!!!!!!! :yay: As soon as I saw your name, I thought 'Taco Bake!'. :D Welcome back, Chickie. I was waiting to see you pop in again. :hug:

Schmoodle
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi ladies, thanks for the hugs! I was checking out the recipes and saw you'd responded.
Ruth, I hope you had a fun snowball fight! (See I am stalking you on facebook still :))
Cyndi, I've got quite a few of Kalyn's recipes on my regular rotation, she's wonderful. I just snuck a taste of the cuke salad and it's delish, and that cauli bake was super comfort food. Did you see she had a Thai cuke salad up yesterday, looks right up my alley. I'll have to check out her crockpot list. I want to use my crockpot more than I do, but I find there's only a few things I can make in it that will come out good. I trust Kalyn, though. I watched an episode of Cooks Illustrated on crockpotting this weekend and they did so much work outside the crock, browning, etc., and kept taking things out and putting things in later, I think they kind of missed the point totally.
Hugs back to you both! :hug:

ETA, and to you cottage!!! You know me too well.

PPS - Just mixed up the dressing for this Mexican salad for my dinner tonight, and OMG, yum! High fat, will have to practice portion control, but all SB-approved. http://cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com/2010/04/mexican-salad-with-creamy-avocado.htmlhttp:// (http://cookingwithkrista.blogspot.com/2010/04/mexican-salad-with-creamy-avocado.html)

weezle
01-06-2013, 02:44 PM
SCHMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome back girl :D I wondered if you'd check in! Missed ya!!!!

PS That dressing looks like it's right up my alley. Thank you for posting. It looks delicious!!!

Schmoodle
01-06-2013, 02:53 PM
Hi weezie! I know me popping up on 3fc every January has kind of become an annual tradition, hasn't it (embarassing)? I know you are doing great because I also stalk you on fb. Don't post much there myself anymore, so that's not too fair, is it? :hug:

weezle
01-06-2013, 02:56 PM
I'd noticed I wasn't seeing much out of you on FB! Glad to know that you're around and doing ok. When my friends disappear, it makes me nervous. :hug:

TwynnB
01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Hello Schmoodle! Is that the cauliflower and ham bake? I was going to make it tomorrow, without the ham. Mmmmm! My DH might even like it! So glad to see you stop in!

paydaymom
01-06-2013, 05:56 PM
today was day 5 and we ate dinner with my mama who made meatloaf (not sb friendly), peas, mashed potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts, cucumbers n' vinegar and baked apples. Oh Lord help me! I ate some of her meatloaf, maybe 3 oz and tried to scrape off the ketchup topping, brussel sprouts and cucumbers. I even came home and did what I could of Leslie Sansone's 1 mile walk. I hope the meatloaf doesn't mess me up to bad!! Today is also my first full day with my fitbit and I do not have a clue about that thing hahahahaha

yankeeinsouth
01-06-2013, 11:56 PM
I made it through the weekend!!! It wasn't too hard but the scale isn't budging yet. I had seen some people's numbers from phase 1 and was hoping for a big number for me but so far.... nothing. It is only Day 5 for me (Paydaymom I have been following you!!!). I made the cheesecake cupcakes this weekend and I think they helped with some cravings. Tonight we had the taco bake for dinner and it was very good!! Had Chili both days and that is getting as old as eggs! I am realizing that I am going to need to branch out some food wise or this diet is going to stall. I'm going to go back to the recipe posts and see if I can find something I like, then off to bed.

Paydaymom, I can't believe how great you did at you Mom's for dinner!! Good job!!! I was drooling over the food description and inspired by your willpower.

P.S. The tree is down, if laying longways across the diningroom floor counts as down! At least the ornaments are packed and ready to go.

I hope everyone has a great week! Thank you for all your old posts. I have been reading posts from people here that were written years ago. Thanks for all the help!!!