Weight Loss Support - WHY are you losing weight?

View Full Version : WHY are you losing weight?

misspixie
01-04-2013, 06:46 PM
This question is pretty simple. Why are you trying to lose weight? It is for clothing size, to look better, health? What is motivating you? :)

mandalinn82
01-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Great question!

When I started my journey, I was flatly unhealthy - nearing 300 lbs, completely inactive, living on fast food and cigarettes and candy and pastries. I lived in constant fear of sickness and dying, and I was well on my way to doing so. Health was a big motivator!

But I was also getting married, knew I was going to be in a dress and having tons of photos taken, and I wanted to look good...that motivated me, too.

Now, having maintained for several years, then gained a good bit when I was pregnant, this is 100% about vanity. I personally felt more comfortable in smaller sizes and a lower weight. Although my eating habits are healthy and my fitness level is higher than even when I was maintaining my lowest weight, I'd like to be lighter.

Mozzy
01-04-2013, 07:02 PM
I want another baby... So the weight has got to go!

Garnet2727
01-04-2013, 07:09 PM
It's all about health for me. Looking better is an unexpected bonus. I've got osteoarthritis in my knees, ankles and feet. I just can't tote around this extra weight any more.

gailr42
01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Cigarettes, candy and pastries. Yum! I would have to add coffee to my list.

Anyway, I have been on several major diets and they have all been about vanity. So was quitting smoking about vanity. I had a cough and kept peeing on myself and that was embarrassing!

This time, I was really worried about my health. I was turning 70, breathless, and unable to do quite a few things that only a couple of years ago, I took for granted. I was coughing and peeing on myself and I wasn't even smoking. I was scared.

I never was a great beauty and being a senior doesn't make that any better, but being able to breathe trumps a lot of things as does improving my mobility and how my clothes fit. Weight loss has greatly improved my incontinence. That may be the best thing of all.

As much as I try to "go with the flow", turning 70 has been a huge deal for me.

baker23
01-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I hated being physically limited from doing things I love.
At 20, I was sick of being overlooked by men I found attractive because of my appearence
There are heart problems that run on both sides of the family. I want to limit my chances and be as healthy as I can
I didn't have normal social experiences when I was growing up because of my mindset when I was heavy...I felt loosing weight would give me more confidence.

sontaikle
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Because it's my life, my body, and I wanted to

pinkflakes
01-04-2013, 07:23 PM
To be more healty and a roll model for my kids :)

betsy2013
01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
Because I can't do any of the things that I want to do. And since this last month I had another major weight gain, I now am struggling just to tie my shoes, walk more than about 10 feet without having to stop to gasp for breath. My knees and hips and back are killing me. In other words, I want to have a life.

EmmaD
01-04-2013, 07:26 PM
I was never technically even "overweight" but I am a prime example of "skinny fat"! Pretty out of shape and weak. My clothing that fit for years began bursting at the seams. I have a lot of binge-like behavior. Lots of room for improvement.

SO - I suppose I fall into the vanity pounds category, but for me it is far more than vanity - it is about having a healthy relationship with food, committing to making good choices, learning discipline, improving my strength and stamina... most of these choices translate into weight loss. And I'm not going to deny it, I would love to be a bit smaller/lighter, so the vanity is still there for sure!

Doomkitty
01-04-2013, 07:41 PM
I want to do it for aesthetic and health reasons. I'd like to feel attractive and not just when clothed. Everyone says, "You look fine! I wouldn't lose much more!" *points to current weight and height* That's too much. I know it because I see the number on the scale and I see myself nude every day so I see problem areas others don't. It's not like I go out half naked all the time, how could anyone really know what I look like?...

I also like that I can kind of just zip around now. Before, I felt heavy, bulky, not at all graceful. Now I can bound up steps, carry more stuff, jog for longer distances, etc. without huffing and puffing.

Hotaruchan
01-04-2013, 07:46 PM
I'm living in Japan now, and everyone around me is tiny. A little girl came up to me at school one day, patted my stomach, said "pon pon" (the sound of beating a drum), then informed me that I was much fatter than her last English teacher before giving me a hug and scampering off to recess. That stung like **** because clearly there was no malice behind it, it was just a little kid making an observation. I also wasn't especially happy to find that I'd gone from being about an American 12 to a Japanese 3L, and therefore needed to shop in the 大きいサイズ section...if there even was one available.

I tried to brush that off, but then I got my first period here (where midol and anything else with caffeine and stimulants is illegal), wished for death for a week, and decided that I needed to get things under control better...and apparently the best way to do that with PCOS is weightloss. Both of my parents start and end their day with literally a fistful of pills for various ailments both hereditary and affected by their being overweight. I'd reeeally like to avoid that a few years down the road...just the hypothyroid and PCOS I have now is bad enough.

Of course there's the vanity issue as well, but since I've been overweight virtually my whole life, I'd gotten pretty good at ignoring my appearance and focusing on having a good time with good people. At my heaviest, I was still the "athletic fat chick," so was never really stopped from doing much. I do, however, now have an awesome boyfriend that I haven't seen in almost a year because he left for Naval training shortly before I left for Japan. He dropped a lot of weight in order to join up, and I figured it would be a nice little surprise for him if I was smaller when he next saw me ;)

Finch13
01-04-2013, 07:49 PM
I've never been in the overweight category of BMI either, but tend to sit close to it. I'm tired of feeling bloated and sluggish from my terrible diet consisting of a load of fat, sugar and carbs. I do have a goal size and weight in mind where I hope I'll look lean and fit.

It's not wanting to feel bloated and lethargic that's keeping me motivated as well as imagining how healthy I'll look at my goal weight :-)

KatieBug
01-04-2013, 08:11 PM
Lots of reasons. I was always a chubby girl ever since puberty. I never felt like I was good enough for anyone. I also have PCOS and getting that under control is crucial to being able to have my own family one day! I know when you see my height and weight, your probably like hmm. She isn't that big. But trust me when I say I have a small body frame and my doctors have actually told me 140-145 would be a good goal for me. Every extra pound on me is fat haha.

Like I said; I never felt good enough for anyone and that includes men! I don't know how to handle the attention of a guy when I get it because I'm so uncomfortable with my body. Like when I'm hugging a boy and I know he can "feel my fatty rolls" (even though I KNOW that's not what their thinking about, but I'm still self conscious about it) and that has made it virtually impossible to let someone in because i get uncomfortable when it moves to more intimate things. and so basically, I want to be comfortable in my skin! I want to love the body I'm in. I want to be the healthiest physically, mentally, and emotionally that I can be so that when I meet my Prince Charming I won't think that I'm not good enough!

I am only 18, I have so much life and discovery ahead of me. I know that by going through this journey I can learn to love myself for life so that I can live my life to the fullest.

Also: a bonus. I want to be able to pick out clothes and KNOW they will fit. Also, swimsuits. I want to be comfortable in a swimsuit and feel like I don't have to wear a ton of layers over it so no one will look at me.

emurph
01-04-2013, 10:18 PM
I don't want to be a fat mom. I started off pregnancy overweight, gained 40 lbs, and though I've lost the pregnancy weight I want to get well within the healthy weight range for my height.

For vanity reasons, I don't want to spend another summer on the beach feeling like I can't play with my son without a shirt or shorts over my bathing suit. I don't want to feel self conscious about how I look.

For health reasons I want to be in maintenance mode for a little while before getting pregnant again.

LockItUp
01-04-2013, 10:35 PM
I'd say for me it's:

70% - vanity

20% - the desire to be physically fit (my weight was hindering my physical activity)

10% - health

Quack Addict
01-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Because I can't do any of the things that I want to do. And since this last month I had another major weight gain, I now am struggling just to tie my shoes, walk more than about 10 feet without having to stop to gasp for breath. My knees and hips and back are killing me. In other words, I want to have a life.

Betsy, I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head for me, too. It's frustrating not to be able to do so many of the relatively simple things that give me pleasure -- taking walks, puttering around my house and yard, hiking.

Plus, I'm also trying to ward off diabetes. My numbers are climbing and my doctor is threatening me with medication. I hate taking meds when I can control a problem without them.

tiawyn
01-05-2013, 04:22 AM
The reason I want to lose weight is both the combination of aesthetics and health. I have ALWAYS had a pudgy tummy, even when I was 100 lbs and a size 3. It would be nice to have the washboard tummy and be able to wear a bikini with confidence. Also, I am predicted to get married in the next 2 years or so, and I would like to be able to fit into my dress and be presentable in pictures, especially since my boyfriend's sisters are both lean, running machines.

As for health, I have struggled with endurance due to my asthma. I would love to be able to run without having to bend over panting for air after only 2 minutes. I have slowly built endurance, but not enough to run for a straight mile yet.

ashleybrook05
01-05-2013, 06:14 AM
I want to lose weight simply because I want to look better and be fit for myself. I am doing this not for anybody else but for me.

Kery
01-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Mostly it was health; I was already winded up so easily at barely 25-26, so I was scared of what I'd be like 40 years later. Not to mention hypertension, diabetes and blood factor problems running in the family, which are exacerbated by being overweight. And I also wanted to be a normal size for a change (the last time I was 120 lbs, it was when I was 10 or something).

Babybat
01-05-2013, 07:13 AM
To save my life! I don't see me having much of a future with so much weight. I still live with my parents after all.

twinieten
01-05-2013, 07:36 AM
My weight loss is about vanity. I want to be hot. I want to look good and feel good about how I look, which makes me feel good about myself. The health benefits a secondary side effect.

jeminijad
01-05-2013, 08:45 AM
It feels obscene to be as fat as I am when people are starving elsewhere.

I want to be attractive.

I want to job hunt with one less obstacle - judgement, conscious or not, from interviewers.

I want to live to 90+.

LucyOlivia
01-05-2013, 09:39 AM
I want to be sexy and slim. I think in my 20s it is easier to achieve than if I were older than that. I used to be between nine and a half and ten and a half stone even through my undergrad degree but then during postgrad I went up to twelve and a half :( I used to be a cheerleader and I want to join this adult team in London but their uniforms are really skimpy and there's no way I could do it above 140 pounds. When I hit 140 pounds my reward is joining that squad (well, if they'll take me, I need to stretch and exercise to get good again).

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 11:23 AM
Health's the biggest one. Given the current state of the medical system and (my opinion here) the taint of "make the most money possible", I firmly believe that the ball is fully in my court to know about (and do) everything it takes to keep myself out of the hands of doctors.

The other 10% is that I don't care for the way I look with a tummy roll and chubby cheeks - it's much easier to find clothes when I have an actual waist and proportionate rear!

Natlyne
01-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Health is my number one reason. I have a heart condition, and I NEED to get this weight off me. And I want to have more energy, be more active, live life!

I also want to stop wearing plus size clothes. I have major issues with the clothing industry in general, but I think the way they handle plus size clothing is just beyond ridiculous. The expense is way too high, a lot of the clothes are so ugly! And it just makes me HATE shopping.

freelancemomma
01-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I'd say for me it's:

70% - vanity

20% - the desire to be physically fit (my weight was hindering my physical activity)

10% - health

Love the honesty! I'd say my figures are fairly similar: 50% vanity, 20% desire to be fit, and 30% health. The differences may reflect the fact that I'm probably older than you. (I turn 56 in 4 days.)

F.

Missy Krissy
01-05-2013, 12:58 PM
I want to lose weight for the sake of my mental health. I feel much better about myself when I'm an apporpriate weight.

d130
01-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Complete vanity on my part. :D I started because I refused to move up to the next jeans size - I realised when I put on a spare pair of jeans that they didn't fit and I was completely not willing to buy a bigger size. (I'm not sure if this should have been the motivation for me, but it totally worked!)

There might have been about 5% of me that was doing it for fitness/health as both my parents have Type 2 diabetes due to lifestyle issues and I didn't want that to be me. I was also a bit tired of being out of breath doing long walks and going up stairs, but honestly I just didn't want to have to buy the bigger size jeans. :o

Vex
01-05-2013, 01:36 PM
Believe it or not I was pretty happy at 280. Annoyed at times, but still overall happy with life.

It wasn't until I started to have chest pains now and then that I started to wake up. I also was terrified that if I was laid off from work, no one would ever hire me at that weight.

LucyOlivia
01-05-2013, 06:30 PM
Vex: You are fantastic! I can't believe you have lost over 100 pounds! What dedication and willpower! Well done!

novangel
01-05-2013, 08:07 PM
1) Mental/physical health

2) Vanity (to be totally honest)

3) Bikinis - my main motivation

Vex
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
Well thank you. :)

lunarsongbird
01-05-2013, 08:10 PM
"In one study, women who had a BMI above 30 were three times as likely to experience early or recurrent miscarriage."

"A BMI above 29 appears to double the risk of neural tube defects and to slightly increase the risk of heart defects, anorectal atresia, limb-reduction defects, hypospadius, diaphragmatic hernia, and omphalocele."

I'd like to try to have a baby in 2013.

ETA:

Also- I want to ride all the rides at an amusement park. I am tired of my boobs sitting on my chest (Sorry, TMI), Perk up! Perk up! And I don't want to go sideways through turnstiles.

krampus
01-05-2013, 08:12 PM
I'm just about nearing the end of the weight loss part of the journey, but since I joined 3FC my focus has been on getting "in shape" while losing weight and learning to cook and enjoy healthier foods. That's all worked pretty well. Now I am focusing on weightlifting for strength and, vainly, to try and get my stomach to look attractive or at least "less gross."

free1
01-05-2013, 08:30 PM
Because I was tired of being sick and tired....

newleaf123
01-06-2013, 03:20 PM
Losing 40 pounds was about health and fitness. Losing the next 18 is about vanity. Maybe that's why my weightloss has pretty much stalled since I hit this weight. The vanity reason just isn't as compelling as the health reason to me. Now I want to lose weight whereas before, I needed to lose weight. Big difference.

Ferny1730
01-06-2013, 03:56 PM
I have a closet full of fun and beautiful clothes in the size 8 and 10 range. I have a few clothes that I like in the 12 and all my 14 clothes are ugly and I hate them.

I typically lose 15 pounds each summer and gain it back in the winter. This last summer, I didn't lose the weight, and I was starting to not fit into my biggest sizes prior to the holiday season. I knew if I didn't make a change, that I would easily get back to my highest weight ever and a size 16. I decided to "stop the madness" and made a commitment to a healthy diet that will never end.

I guess my reason is almost all vanity, then. I do also like the confidence I feel in being in control of my eating, and the extra energy I have from eating well and working out.

triplestep
01-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Vanity used to be my number one reason, but "health" has moved into the number one slot since I've had some issues that are likely weight-related, and some other issues that are definitely weight-related. Plus my husband has gotten into great shape (was never overweight, but is very fit now) and I know he'd like me to be healthier for our future "empty nest years" and sooner. He never nags, but I know it's on his mind.

Vanity is still not far behind as reason #2. I'd like to go into my next job interview looking better. I want to look like the active moms of high school and college students (my kids' ages). I don't want to look like I just gave up at some point!

karen98745
01-06-2013, 05:40 PM
This question is pretty simple. Why are you trying to lose weight? It is for clothing size, to look better, health? What is motivating you? :)

To look better, and for my boyfriend.

ChristyMarie
01-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Sooo many reasons.

Health, first and foremost. I had gestational diabetes and am at high risk for type II. Also, I want to be around to watch my daughter grow up and have her own kids.

Second...I want to have another baby, and I know losing weight will help that.

Third, I want to be able to ride the rides at the amusement park that I used to be able to and couldn't this summer. for the first time ever, I had to leave a ride. It was HUMILIATING!

Lastly, vanity. I want to look good.

OhThePlaces
01-06-2013, 06:02 PM
I'm already at a healthy weight, so my number one reason to lose those last few pounds is pure vanity.

bunnabear
01-06-2013, 06:15 PM
For me it is a combination of health and vanity, heavier toward health. All 4 of my grandparents are/were diabetic and both of my parents are on medication because they are prediabetic. I also have a family history of heart disease and cancer (studies continue to show a correlation between body fat and cancer due to adipose hormone secretion).

Beyond all of that is just feeling uncomfortable and out of shape. With the exception of the "freshman 15" or in my case, freshman 20, I didn't struggle with weight as a child/young adult. I did well with my pregnancy (gained 24 pounds) and lost it within a reasonable amount of time. Then came prednisone! The high doses over a long period of time resulted in many changes in my body, several of which were weight/fat related: 40+ pound weight gain, fat deposits, increased difficulty in losing weight. Not to mention the plethora of other side effects. I will likely have a relationship with prednisone for the rest of my life as I still have to take it for lupus flares. All of that has left me feeling like this is not my body, not just in appearance, but also with regard to function. I've gotten back in touch with my body as I started this journey and I hope to restore that level of function that I know is still in here. So for me, while I want to look good and fit into certain clothes, this journey is about much more than that.

Dreamer2012
01-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I was tired of being chubby. And it's only now when I look back at pictures from a year and a half/2 years ago I realised how chubby I was.

Another reason I guess is vanity. I want to look good. But more importantly, I want to feel good in my own skin.

missrachel
01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
why am i changing my life by loosing weight? cuz i cant comfortably tie my shoes:(

Lurker89
01-06-2013, 09:52 PM
I'd like to get back to where I was several months ago. My biggest motivation comes from the pictures I took of my gradual progression months ago. I'd like to get back to that point.

Besides it being critical to my job, I'd like to get back to the point where I could go to the beach with an enormous amount of confidence. I am going to be in the area of Japan, Australia, Guam, etc within the next year, so there will be many beaches and much off time there. I'd like to make the experiences there the best possible, and being in the best shape is the best way!

WAHMto5
01-06-2013, 09:56 PM
My health first, since most of the women on my mom's side have diabetes, high blood pressure, ect..
Second is how I feel and my self confidence.

chubbiegurl
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Found out just about everyone in my estranged dads family is a diabetic, my dr had told me that I was on the path to becoming one too. My knees always felt like they were working harder than they should have been. My boobs would reach 40ddd or even larger when I was heavier, so they made my back hurt.
And last but certainly not least I look better at a lower weight!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar008/slider-pig/lb/160/125/132/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

EStew
01-06-2013, 10:56 PM
Health, and I just want be confident with myself, like ya this is me and I am 100% proud to be me.

Radiojane
01-07-2013, 12:38 AM
Because I'm creeping up on thirty and have never had a life. I don't want to miss any more experiences

NorthernChick13
01-07-2013, 12:44 AM
There's a few reasons! Firstly, I lost about 20 lbs in summer 2011, and I bought all new clothes! Now, none of them fit! They looked so damn good and I want that feeling back! Also, I live in the Arctic and my snow pants don't fit...it's minus 40 outside before windchill so that's a pretty darn good reason!

And mostly, I want to be able to run without having anything bounce around. Fitness used to be a big part of my life and I want that back!

I enjoyed reading everyone's posts. Keep it up, everyone!

Tenoreo90
01-07-2013, 12:58 AM
1.) I don't feel like myself at this weight, my whole life I never weighed more than about 125ish. I feel alien when I go out, even after being overweight for 3 years now.

2.) I miss shopping for clothes other than just 'what's going to cover these rolls'?

3.) I miss my confidence.

4.) I want to be able to run around with my child and not get worn out so early.

5.) I want to not be the 'fat friend' at social gatherings.

6.) I want to live a generally more improved life.

shcirerf
01-07-2013, 01:05 AM
I am 53, 16 months maintaining. I workout.

I have discovered I like exercise!:carrot:

Mostly though, I keep up with my healthy lifestyle because my Mom didn't.

She has all the health issues that stem from a lifestyle of, to be blunt, being fat and making bad choices.

I do not want to be that person. The longer I continue on the healthy path the easier it becomes!

westcoast rosa
01-07-2013, 01:15 AM
My primary reason for losing weight is to be a good example for my daughter. The second reason is for health reasons as my joints were killing me and my breathing was becoming labored. Third reason is vanity.

knoxie
01-07-2013, 02:32 AM
Initially it was vanity really, wanting to be slimmer and enjoy all the trappings that brings. Subsequently I've had a health issue with my hips (ouch!) which wasn't caused by my weight but is greatly affected by it.

I'd say it's still 50/50 though ;)

irishcanary
01-07-2013, 04:16 AM
1. To feel more confident
2. To be able to wear whatever i want and not have to worry about the design, in order to "flatter" (hide the fat) me
3. To be all round healthier so i dont get sick
4. To be strong and lean so that i am better at karate
5. To get a jaw line and a flat stomach
6. To feel sexier and more confident around my boyfriend
7. To just feel happier, because i feel great when my clothes slip on and i can feel my hip bones.
8. To feel beautiful and that i am worthy of love

JossFit
01-07-2013, 09:24 AM
It started off as a necessity of my job; I'm in the military and we have certain standards of fitness that HAVE to be met in order to be promoted or even just to retain our enlistments/comissions. That's not even including the reasons WHY we must (namely physical jobs, deployments, etc.).

In early 2004 I started to get very sick and was also gaining weight (The weight gain being due to inactivity and poor diet, not linked to being sick). My doctors worked for MONTHS trying to figure out why I was vomiting every day and nauseated constantly when finally one of them said 'eat better and exercise more'... and from that day on I have had my gastritis (as it was later diagnosed) under control. Working, eating right and subsequently losing weight was keeping me from being sick so I was hooked!

After that I started to focus more on aesthetics so that became like 90% of the reason. I was fit so the health/job aspects sort of took a backseat.

Once I decided to really move into fitness full time it once again became about employment; this summer I will be separating from the military and will be going back to school to earn another degree, this time in Personal Training. As a personal trainer my body is my calling card - employers want to hire someone who looks fit to represent their company/business, and clients want a trainer who looks like they know what they're doing. To be blunt, I would never hire someone who didn't have a body that inspired me so I assume that most people feel the same way.

I suppose in a sense it has sort of come full circle! Yes, it is 90% about aesthetics and 10% about health at this point... but that 90% includes my livelihood as well.

Sharelle
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
I want to lose weight because Im fed up of getting out of breath, being too warm all the time and feeling that Im being looked at.

I also want a better relationship with food.

NJChick78
01-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Reasons that I want to be thinner:

1. because I am 34, 271 lbs and most of my friends at this size have type 2 diabetes, bad backs, bad knees and high blood pressure. I want to get rid of this weight before that happens to me! So far I am very lucky that I have dodged the bullet.

2. I don't want to be an obese bride.

3. I want to have a healthy baby.

PaintedPonies
01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Because I had lost 40 lbs a couple years ago, and felt so confident. I did it the wrong way, though- too much weight lost too quickly. I was tired all the time, lost my period. I gained the weight back and more, and I hate it. I want to lose some of the weight off- not all though, because I don't want to be as thin as I was (130 lbs, 5'8, muscular- too skinny!)
I want to be confident again, I want my clothes to fit me, I want to LOOK like the young, active, healthy vegan I am.... I don't want to be a binger anymore, I want to have a healthy relationship with food, eating intuitively, and of course, active :)

Pink Hurricane
01-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Mainly for my health. I want to be as healthy as possible especially for when my husband and I decide we are ready to start having children. The next biggest reason is because I want to feel good, inside and out, because when I have that confidence and feel great about myself, everything else falls into place.

AmberK
01-07-2013, 01:29 PM
My ultimate reason for losing weight is to improve my quality (and hopefully length) of life. I want to be able to play with my family. Fitting into the "cute" clothes is a huge bonus too!

TripSwitch
01-07-2013, 02:01 PM
WHY are you losing weight?

Answer : As part of a research study... MY OWN!!! I decided to be my own N = 1 Experiment

Abstract : Conduct simple trial of weight loss to improve health and reduce risk of developing chronic and debilitating as well as potentially life threatening disease and illness as evidenced by metabolic markers.

Findings : Reduction of weight from overweight category to normal weight category significantly improved metabolic markers and resulted in an overwhelming sense of accomplishment.

Conclusion : What I did works... I've lost a lot of weight... And I'M KEEPING IT OFF!!! And you can too... Good luck everyone... and be well... :)

EagleRiverDee
01-07-2013, 03:00 PM
So many reasons!

- Heart health- heart disease is the #1 killer of women, and obesity can contribute to heart disease.

- Losing weight will enable me to do more of the activities I love, and to do them longer. I love hiking and other outdoor activities. But it's really hard on my knees and feet when I'm as heavy as I am. Especially if I add to it by carrying a backpack full of gear!

- I want people to stop looking at me like I have no self-control and I'm a loser. Many people associate obesity with laziness and don't see the real you. They make assumptions about me that are wrong and it's hurtful.

- In the winter, I participate in backcountry snowmobiling with my DH and friends. We ride, by definition, in avalanche terrain. Although we all have training for avoiding avalanches and for dealing with a search if someone gets caught in one, I don't want to responsible for someone dying because I wasn't fit enough to get to the avalanche location, to locate and dig out my friend. This is the #1 reason I am trying so hard to lose weight and why I exercise at a high intensity.

- I want to join a volunteer backcountry rescue group. I have training already in many disciplines that could be helpful, but I'm afraid they'll take one look at me and not take me seriously at my weight. And in reality, if I can't keep up then I'm a liability rather than a help. So I need to get this weight off and get more fit so I can apply so I can help people.

- I want to fit into airplane seats comfortably. I want to be able to get into a bathroom stall comfortably. I want to be able to wear clothes I find in local shops because many places simply don't carry women's XL and larger. Especially places like REI, where I guess they assume if you like outdoors activities you must be thin.

- I want to be attractive to my DH.

IAmTheGlue
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I am losing weight for health reasons. My father passed away this summer from Congestive Heart Failure and it hit me like a ton of bricks. I adored that man and I was not prepared for him to die.

My own heart is not quite behaving as it should and my cardiologist told me that carrying any extra weight is hard on your heart. He said quite simply that my body is made to run at around maybe 140 pounds and anything over that is taxing on my heart so... it must come off. This is not optional, if I want to live a full life and see my children grow and have grandchildren... I have to be a healthier weight.

I watch my mother, who has battled her weight her whole life, struggle to get around. Her knees are shot and she is in constant pain. She can barely walk some days and I just don't want that to be me in 30 years.

Lurker89
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
It started off as a necessity of my job; I'm in the military and we have certain standards of fitness that HAVE to be met in order to be promoted or even just to retain our enlistments/comissions. That's not even including the reasons WHY we must (namely physical jobs, deployments, etc.).

In early 2004 I started to get very sick and was also gaining weight (The weight gain being due to inactivity and poor diet, not linked to being sick). My doctors worked for MONTHS trying to figure out why I was vomiting every day and nauseated constantly when finally one of them said 'eat better and exercise more'... and from that day on I have had my gastritis (as it was later diagnosed) under control. Working, eating right and subsequently losing weight was keeping me from being sick so I was hooked!

After that I started to focus more on aesthetics so that became like 90% of the reason. I was fit so the health/job aspects sort of took a backseat.

Once I decided to really move into fitness full time it once again became about employment; this summer I will be separating from the military and will be going back to school to earn another degree, this time in Personal Training. As a personal trainer my body is my calling card - employers want to hire someone who looks fit to represent their company/business, and clients want a trainer who looks like they know what they're doing. To be blunt, I would never hire someone who didn't have a body that inspired me so I assume that most people feel the same way.

I suppose in a sense it has sort of come full circle! Yes, it is 90% about aesthetics and 10% about health at this point... but that 90% includes my livelihood as well.

I have a lot of the same motivations. We are deploying soon (UDP) and I would like to be back where I was a few years ago! Plus PFT season is coming up.

Nayshal
01-07-2013, 10:44 PM
My ultimate reason for losing weight is to improve my quality (and hopefully length) of life. I want to be able to play with my family. Fitting into the "cute" clothes is a huge bonus too!

This! :D And I want to experience the "firsts". Like first time telling the sales-person that I need a small-sized shirt, 23-24 waist-pants, going in shops that only sell clothes for slim people etc. For someone who's been fat all her life, entering those shops is like venturing in uncharted territories.

omly55
01-09-2013, 02:39 AM
Healthy Body is good for everyone Over weight body is the source of many problems like Pain in knee,heart problems,breath problems, In addition to that you become lazy too.

coolacrity
01-09-2013, 01:28 PM
Honestly, the final reason for pushing myself this time is shoes.

I think I said this is another post, but my friend had WLS last year and had gone shoe shopping with another friend while I was tagging along. They were having loads of fun and I just got depressed about it. I wanted to have fun shopping, too. And, actually, I am! :D

I love cute shoes (but don't tell anyone!).

CIELOARGE
01-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I want to lose weight to be confortable. I'm not planning on having a hard rock body because that would take much of my time and i have a family to run :D

I just want to be a normal size, feel good in clothes and make my girls look up to me... If Mommy is lazy and unfit, they will probably think one of two things: 1: I'm ashame of my mom, why doesn't she do anything about it??? Or 2: It's OK for me to gain weigt and being lazy, my mom has been like that all of her life...
Neither of those 2 things are good, so having a somewhat healthy life will give them the chance to worry or focus about other things than weight!

ReillyJ
01-09-2013, 04:30 PM
Probably 60% Vanity and 40% health, i want to get physically fit and stronger and feel better, as much as i can with CFS/Fibro, etc.

battybettie
01-09-2013, 04:37 PM
I want to lose weight so i feel comfortable in my own skin. I gained a bunch of weight-like 20 pounds in 2 years-and I just feel as though I look terrible in everything.

I want to be a normal size and feel healthy and not be hindered by blub.

Elladorine
01-09-2013, 04:44 PM
At my highest weight, I made the realization that I was making myself very, very sick and was losing my independence. Given my family history, I was well on my way to diabetes, cancer, losing my mobility, and worse. My blood tests run fine now, but photographs of my retina indicate that I have over 10 years worth of diabetic damage to my eyes . . . I'm not at all surprised about that. I had all sorts of symptoms I ignored (especially constant thirst/frequent urination) because I had no insurance and no money for the doctor for several years.

When I was in my late 20's it was a struggle to walk from one end of the room to the other; I'd be completely out of breath. It was even more of a struggle to pick up something from the floor or even the bottom shelf of the fridge. And taking the stairs? Forgetaboutit.

Not that vanity didn't have a role. One of the things that woke me up was shopping in a plus size store with a friend and realizing they didn't carry jeans big enough to fit me. Yes, I was too fat for the fat chicks store. Even though I'd completely given up on even trying to look good, I at least had to wear clothes, right? Something had to change.

These days I'm motivated by how much better I feel and look. I can walk for miles at a time and even throw a little jogging in (still trying to work my way up on that). It used to be a struggle to keep up with my husband whenever we went out, but not anymore. And I'm just starting to fit into the regular sections of clothes. I still have a long ways to go but the progress is both fantastic and surreal.

ImImportant
01-09-2013, 05:00 PM
60% Vanity
40% Health

I saw a photo of myself and I couldn't believe how big I was. I still can't believe I didn't see it. I recently went in for my annual doctor visit and when she told me that I was 191 on my last visit I was shocked. I guess I must have blocked that out of my memory. She is very happy with my progress so that was a plus.

I like to run obstacle course races and even though I finish the races and complete the obstacles I still feel winded. I would like to finally finish a race and keep up with my friends.

ParkTrot
01-09-2013, 05:10 PM
When I originally started losing weight health was a primary concern as I was 19 with high blood pressure, and could barely get around. Vanity was also a factor. Now despite still being overweight, I am incredibly fit and healthy, thus I have new reasons.

- One of my mains goals at this point in my life is to one day be a competitive CrossFit athlete. While odds are I will never be games material, I think given enough time and dedication, I can do at the very least scaled competitions. Hopefully, one day working up to regionals - even if its in the Masters division 30 years from now ;). While it is going to take SEVERAL years to get to that point (hopefully not 30!), this is a life long thing for me so I have all the time in the world.

- Pure vanity. I want to be able to wear whatever I want with pure confidence. Additionally, I want to feel comfortable approaching any guy I please. Doesn't mean I expect them to take the bait, but I want to approach anyone with confidence! I am a very confident gal, but I want my outside to match my inside. Plus I LOVE clothes and at my highest weight I couldn't even find age appropriate clothing. Now I can, but I want more options.

- Happiness. I was incredibly depressed and felt less than human when I was severely overweight. I loved the outdoors and hiking, but could never do anything I enjoyed. I had major anxiety even walking out my door, and had two horrible semesters of college because I felt I wasn't worth it. The weightloss has helped me realize my true potential, and finally gain my fearless "I can do anything" attitude back. Which is both fabulous and a little dangerous...:lol:

- I am an exercise physiology major planning on working in the fitness industry primarily as a personal trainer. Needless to say, that requires being at the top of the fitness ladder and looking the part as well.

ChickieBoom
01-09-2013, 05:24 PM
I have felt out of control for a long time and losing weight seems to be the main reason behind that. Of course I want to look better and feel better about myself but I was feeling so depressed and it was affecting my ability to enjoy anything. I'm ready to live my life and not let my weight affect everything I do.

katrinakit
01-09-2013, 09:42 PM
Right now it is health. I feel so sluggish and all of the joints in my body ache. It is so hard to get myself moving each morning.

However, whenever I get down to 230 pounds I begin to feel great! And that's when the vanity kicks in.

pinkalarmclock
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
I want to look how I feel. I'm a really excited person but I'll hold myself back when I'm uncomfortable with my weight. I feel like jumping, running, and climbing around but I tell myself no because I don't want to attract more attention to my body. I love myself and love my looks and my body but the extra weight I don't love, it holds me back.

I was always a competitive athlete from childhood up till about 17. I love physically competing, and I'm good at it! So, I want to be fit again for fun competition.

Clothing! I hate having to worry about adjusting and etc etc. We all know about those troubles.

Then--of course--I want to look AMAZING naked!! HAHA! I get these wildly narcissistic ideals of me being some golden god that men lose composure seeing. HAHAHA!!! :D:D:D

OHHH!!! & brain health!! I had battles with depression in the past and I have poor executive functioning (let's just say I've got raging ADHD hehe). Eating right and exercising really makes a huge difference when it comes to brain health.

momtopands
01-10-2013, 02:25 AM
First is for health reasons. I have a serious family history of high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes and obesity and i'm becoming concerned that my blood pressure is increasing.

Second for my children. I want to be that mom that runs around with them, does fun, active things, take time to really play with them. I can't do any of that now since I barely have enough energy to get through working and not getting enough sleep.

I also want to improve my stamina. I never really liked exercise but I discovered that I love playing tennis and I can't do that anymore either. I understand about depression because everytime I find that I can't do something I love to do I get depressed which just makes me want to sit on the couch and watch TV. I have decided that this is unacceptible and it is up to me to work hard at eating healthier, exercising, and getting this weight off for good. I am determined and can't wait to succeed.

Of course there is some vanity involved also since I would love to be able to go to any store and find cute clothes that I like, in my size, AND have them look good instead of frumpy. I really can't wait for that day.

Radiojane
01-10-2013, 12:11 PM
I thought of another one: I want to look my age!

I got told today that I look like I'm in my 20's now that I lost some weight. While it was meant as a compliment, it was a kick in the pants because I'm only 27 and apparently I looked 35!

jp4ga
01-11-2013, 10:01 AM
My main reason is health. I have a four year old daughter and I want to be around for her as she grows up. I don't want her not to have her mom in her life.

My other reasons is I want to look better and feel better. I want to be able to shop in the "normal sized" clothing stores. I hate how most plus sized clothing looks.

Elladorine
01-11-2013, 02:12 PM
I thought of another one: I want to look my age!

I got told today that I look like I'm in my 20's now that I lost some weight. While it was meant as a compliment, it was a kick in the pants because I'm only 27 and apparently I looked 35!
When I was a freshman in high school, new students that didn't know me assumed I was one of the teachers. Yeah, I was 14 years old and people thought I was in my 30's! :o :lol: I'm 36 and think I look younger now than I did back then. ;)

nichole87
01-11-2013, 02:32 PM
I really enjoyed reading all of the replies to this thread. I am losing weight because I'm tired of shopping at plus size stores...I'm tired of being uncomfortable in my skin...I'm unhealthy and unattractive...I don't feel like a woma and although my partner compliments me on a daily basis, I feel like its just kind words and not genuine. My best friend is 110 pounds and shopping with her is as enjoyable as visiting the dentist...I want to walk up to any rack at any store and find my size...I want to keep up to my almost 7 year old son....I want o go to bed and wake up feeling rested and energized....ohhh I could go at this all day...but ultimately...I want happiness:)

April Snow
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
For me, it's an even split between looking better, feeling better, being able to be more active and keep up with my 8 year old, and my overall health.

Kaitie9399
01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I'm tired of saying 'when I was skinny....' I want to actually be skinny, not have a memory of it.

skintoskincombat
01-11-2013, 06:36 PM
I've noticed over the years that my weight has been creeping up on me since i gained my freshman 15 (25 :( ) I want to nip it right now before it gets worse and my self esteem completely plummets. I already have noticed that sometimes i don't even want to get dressed in the morning because i feel like i look bad in everything i wear. I'm def overweight but i'm tall so i carry it well and people just think that i'm "curvey" but i'm starting to gain it more in my stomach at this point and that is a curve i don't want anymore!

I remember how i felt being a thin 18 19 year old and all the confidence i had and energy and i miss that! So now i am 24 and looking to lose about 30 or 40 pounds. I feel like everything in my life is coming together and it can't be completely perfect until i lose this weight and get my confidence back!

kadian43
01-12-2013, 12:36 AM
I wanted to lose weight cause of how society looked at me for so many years. Dealing with it in highschool, college, and in my professional career while looking for a job, before landing a job, and even after landing a good job. It's just a simple superficial world we live in. Oh yea, and to be healthy...is the 2nd reason.

Nola Celeste
01-13-2013, 05:58 PM
I'm back to lose the weight I've regained and then some because I remember what it was like to be at my high weight and recall how much more energy I had at my most recent low weight (about 178). So many things felt so much better a year ago at this time, and I want to get back to that point.

I felt as though I was on the verge of becoming that sleeker, healthier, more active person and just let it slip away through inaction. It's time to take action now and look ahead to how good I already know I'll feel in just a few pounds. :)

baker23
01-13-2013, 07:07 PM
When I was a freshman in high school, new students that didn't know me assumed I was one of the teachers. Yeah, I was 14 years old and people thought I was in my 30's! I'm 36 and think I look younger now than I did back then

:D On my 21st birthday, I was out and looking forward to having to show my i.d for the first time...Its like a right of passage into adulthood...anyways, I get to this japanese hibachi restaurant, order drinks, and I didn't get carded...I asked if he needed to see my D.L...and he said, your definitely old enough...0.o

Oh...I think I posted on this board awhile ago, but I have another reason...completely vain but....

In 4 years, my 10 year high school renunion will come up...I recently got back in contact with a few people I knew(because our class had a 6 year meetup as well, that I didn't go to,) and they were amazed at how different I looked...I want to see the reaction on some of my former bullies/insulters when I go to my 10 year one...Petty...but I still want to... :D

angieand2girls
01-13-2013, 08:49 PM
I can't express enough how good it feels to be able to jump with ease...without my knees taking a huge impact. My body moves more freely...I can bend, twist, dance, jump...all with ease. At 252 lbs, all those things were extremely difficult. So health was number 1 for me. Number 2 is becoming the sexy foxy lady that I know I am under the fat lol. I can walk into any store now and find my size. That is an awesome feeling. I can shop with my sister and friends and not be the only one not buying anything. All these things improve my quality of life. :D

Watsonishere
01-13-2013, 09:26 PM
100% Vanity...

I've always been fat and I can't stand how I look. Plus size clothes are really ugly and it would be nice to look in a mirror and think "jeez your sexy" lol

Also it would be nice to be considered attractive by men.

The health that comes from losing weight is nice too, my family has a bad health history with heart problems, cancers of all kinds, diabetes, and who knows what else.

I want to have some nice abs to show off ;)

I know I should be losing weight because being fat is bad for you...But I might as well be honest.