100 lb. Club - Clothing size and weight questions

FatinSTL
01-03-2013, 07:33 PM
Hello!

Has anyone found a way to estimate what size they would be if they lost a certain amount of weight? Any calculators or websites out there that I haven't been able to find.

I'd rather be a certain size and not worry about what the scale actually says. If I could be a size 18 or 16 I don't care if the scale says 250.

Any help? Thanks!

teacher1
01-03-2013, 07:38 PM
http://www.mybodygallery.com/
might help you :)

Trazey34
01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
clothes are sooo weird these days, I wouldn't trust ANY label LOL

The biggest leap of all was from plus size to 'regular' sized clothing for me, getting something in the BIGGGGEST size they sell in the regular dept. was a very very very happy day for me LOL

defenestrator
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm about 225 right now and a size 14 or 16. At 250 I was about a 20. Just for reference, since I'm only an inch shorter than you. I am so happy to be out of plus sizes. It has been a nice transition.

chubbiegurl
01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
Sizes can be kinda wonky. I tried on some different style Levi's and a 4. ,6 and 8 fit. They all fit comfortably. I know I can't possibly be a 4. I have some cheep jeans and they say 11, they r kinda lose but I assume a 9 in that brand would fit. If I believed I was a four I might prematurely stop losing weight. Best of luck.
Hope that wasn't too negative

BeachBreeze2010
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
I think it's different for everyone and the clothing makers don't make it better with their inconsistencies. I remember being very confused when a 14W was too big, but I couldn't fit into a 16? You'll be able to answer your question better once you've lost some and can see how your body is changing and then predict from there.

Mostly - I think it's best not to focus on a specific weight or size. I've learned in this battle that I have less impact on the outcome, but direct impact on my behaviors. Make the goal to make healthy choices and the weight will settle out where it is supposed to.

deadkittens
01-04-2013, 12:33 PM
if you want to be a certain size but not weigh yourself or keep track in a different way, i would suggest looking at a clothing sizing chart for a store you want to shop at and keep track of how many sizes you lose and thus how much closer you are to being your ideal size.

for a weight to size calculator, that would be difficult because everyone gains weight differently so someone whos 220 might be a 16 when someone else whos 220 could be a 20

linJber
01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
I've seen posts from members who are my height and weight - or are very close - and they wear sizes way different from what I wear. Body shape and age will factor in. I don't think there is and accurate way to compare. My advice would be to just keep losing and trying things on until you're happy. Not sure what else you can do.

It's wise not to be too tied to the number on the scale.

Lin

Veneficae
01-04-2013, 08:33 PM
Ugh.. I HATE clothing sizes. I make almost all of my clothing so I pay a lot more attention to measurements. Sorry I have nothing helpful to say... I just wanted to express my disgust at how clothing sizes are determined.

April Snow
01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
I've seen posts from members who are my height and weight - or are very close - and they wear sizes way different from what I wear. Body shape and age will factor in. I don't think there is and accurate way to compare. My advice would be to just keep losing and trying things on until you're happy. Not sure what else you can do.

Totally agree with this. I also just posted in another thread what when I was losing before, it took about 50 lbs lost (starting at 261) before I really went down enough in size to need new clothes. Sure, the other stuff was big on me, but not huge and unwearable. But there are other people who seem to drop sizes far more quickly. You just don't know how and where the weight will come off, until it comes off.

BeachBreeze2010
01-05-2013, 11:41 PM
Yeah - the body shape thing is huge. I am a pear/hourglass and lose from my pants very differently from my tops. I have a friend who is more like an apple and we laugh at how opposite we are. I wear a large or medium and she's still in the XL but then I have to wear a 12 or 14 on bottom and she's got 10s. It's all just crazy!

Ky30
01-12-2013, 09:18 AM
No not really it all depends on height, and body shape also. At my biggest 285lbs I was a 3x shirt and 28 jeans I am now a Large shirt and 14 jeans at 182lbs but I am bigger on the bottom and smaller on the top and much shorter then you lol.

CherryQuinn
01-12-2013, 09:28 AM
No real way to tell. I'm 214 and about an inch away from being a size 10, 12s are loose on me. I'm not even that tall I'm only 171 cms. I am hourglass shaped and my weight is very evenly distributed. But there are girls in my height and weight range with an hourglass shape that are a size 16-18. So its really odd.

Garnet2727
01-12-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm at 227 right now and this week, I bought a pair of size 18 jeans that are pretty darned tight but wearable. I have a size 20 pair of jeans that I ordered online and I can't even zip them up. I have another size 20 pair of jeans that are so loose on me now that I can't wear them.

I've reached a point that I can't order anything online anymore. I have to go try stuff on and I'm wearing anything from a size 16 to a size 22.

Change4Life
01-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Last Spring, hubby and I went into a Subway (that has really really small booths) and without thinking I sat down. Then realized it was the first time in 20 years I actually fit into the booth there. I cried. What a wonderful discovery!

This morning reading through this thread I it hit me that very soon I will be shopping in regular women's department. Some 1X things are getting too big on me now. OH MY GOSH!! Just the thought of that possibility made me tear up again.

Remembering a quote from a WW leader of many moons ago...she said "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels." She is right!

linJber
01-13-2013, 09:36 AM
@ CherryQuinn - you are a perfect example of what I said in my post. I'm the same height as you and wear 10s and 12s at 162 pounds. At your weight I was in 18's.

@ Change4Life - I remember sitting at my brother's house one evening and realizing I was sitting with my legs crossed. Not my ankle on my opposite knee - but crossed. I had that same feeling you had when you realized you fit in the booth.

Lin

Angihas2
01-13-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm your same height, and right now, in the 230's can wear an 18. However, most of my weight is in my lower belly. Even when I got into the 2teens, I needed a 17/19 juniors because of the belly weight. I was in the 205-195 range before I could get into a 15 juniors. It really is all about how you're built and where and how your weight comes off.

Watsonishere
01-13-2013, 07:15 PM
That's a hard thing to guess...For women all clothing sizes are different from store to store. You can be a size 4 in one brand and a size 12 in another. You can't really go by the tags. Stores that size there clothes small do that to make more money from women. Because most women would feel better saying they can put on a pair of size 4 pants than a size 12.

As Far as I know men have a more constant size chart to go by and don't have as much of a problem with this issue. I personally think there should should just be an honest chart for all clothing stores to go by, but of course there would be no money in that...

elvislover324
01-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Last Spring, hubby and I went into a Subway (that has really really small booths) and without thinking I sat down. Then realized it was the first time in 20 years I actually fit into the booth there. I cried. What a wonderful discovery!

So know how you feel about this! I posted a few weeks ago that I "snuck" into a booth at Panera just to see if I could fit and guess what, I did!! I think Panera's booths might be a little more forgiving but it took all the guts in the world for me to even try. My husband couldn't even find me in the restaurant, we haven't sat in a booth in many many years. It would never have occured to him that I couldn't fit in one before...I think he thought I liked chairs and tables. Now we sit in the booth any time we go!

So happy for you! :hug:

FatinSTL
01-21-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm a pretty big girl and I am big boned. Broad shoulders and hips, build muscle easily etc.

My weight is distrubuted evenly so I always get the response, "OMG I'd never guess you were 337." Who knows if they are being nice or really mean that?

I'm hoping at 230, after 107 pounds, lost I can be in at least a 20. Right now at 323 I'm a 26 top and 28 bottom. My top is always one size smaller than my bottom with my thighs and hips. So if my pants are an 18 I'll be a 16 top.

I think if I remember correctly it takes me about 30-40 pounds to drop a size unfortunately. I read several pages that said most people depending on build are 10-20 pounds for a size drop.

I'm going to cry in the dressing room when I am an 18. Tears of pure joy!

merilung
01-22-2013, 03:22 AM
I'm the same height as you, and I get into a 16 somewhere around 210, but of course everyone is different! I weigh 259 right now and am still in a 20, but I do have one size 18 pair I can wear now that I've dropped a little weight that has lots of stretch - very snug, but not TOO snug to look good.

FatinSTL
01-23-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm the same height as you, and I get into a 16 somewhere around 210, but of course everyone is different! I weigh 259 right now and am still in a 20, but I do have one size 18 pair I can wear now that I've dropped a little weight that has lots of stretch - very snug, but not TOO snug to look good.

I'm happy to hear from women that are my height. No offense to anyone else but it seems like a lot of people on here are the average height of 5' 4"- 5'-6" or shorter! It's a different body type with having the height and longer legs!

LockItUp
01-23-2013, 11:22 AM
No real way to tell. I'm 214 and about an inch away from being a size 10, 12s are loose on me. I'm not even that tall I'm only 171 cms. I am hourglass shaped and my weight is very evenly distributed. But there are girls in my height and weight range with an hourglass shape that are a size 16-18. So its really odd.

@ CherryQuinn - you are a perfect example of what I said in my post. I'm the same height as you and wear 10s and 12s at 162 pounds. At your weight I was in 18's.

Lin

This is me too. I'm 5'6", so just an inch shorter than CherryQuinn and Lin, and at 220 pounds my 18s were so tight I couldn't breath. By 215 I could wear them, by 205 they were comfortable. I wasn't in a 16 until the lower 190s I think. I was a 14 in the 170s and I was defintiely in the 160s as a 12, 150s as a 10, high 140s as an 8, low 140s as a 6, now mid 130s as a 4 and I can sqeeeeeeeeeeze into a 2 but it ain't pretty so I'd guess by the time I hit my goal of 125 that a 2 should fit comfortably.

You have to lose soooo much less to go down a size the smaller you get. At the beginning it seemed like a good 25 pounds to move a size! In my larger sizes I could vary by 5 pounds or more and not notice a difference in the way my pants fit, now I can literally feel the difference in my pants with 1 single pound. In a way it's cool because if my pants are tight I know I just need to lose a couple pounds, but it sucks to have 1 bad day then have your pants be tight!