General Diet Plans and Questions - periods and weight gain

View Full Version : periods and weight gain

deadkittens
01-03-2013, 03:22 PM
Every time i weigh myself it has said i weigh less but recently i have my period after not having it awhile because of birth control and i have noticed instead of losing weight im gaining and losing the same 2 pounds. i guess thats probably normal but my question is when my period is gone will the extra 2 pounds and maybe the weight i havent lost since being on my period kind of suddenly go away or does having your period make you gain water weight and halt weight loss for that week?. ive been sticking to the same calories etc so nothing else could really be affecting my weight. :mad:

Liz46
01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
I always have weight gain right before my period, but after it starts, the weight starts coming off. I hope this helps.

VanessaBB33
01-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Never weigh around your period time, you will weigh heavier because of the extra fluid you are holding. I start to feel bloated at least a week before my period then I usually have a heavy one. I am waiting to see a herbalist to reduce the symptoms and PMT. Don't step on the scale, it plays with your mind and motivation. Wait until they have finished.

deadkittens
01-04-2013, 12:04 AM
not weigh myself??? NEVER.. im currently too nuts about weighing myself everyday to go ahead and not weigh myself..lol but its good to know it is most likely a period thing :p

nasu27
01-04-2013, 12:13 AM
worry not about the extra pounds on your monthly visit, its just hormones
i normally "gained" 2-4 pounds during my period

chubbiegurl
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
It's most likely water weight. I went up a pound last month then down 3 about 3 days into it. Kinda sucks how we get that added perk of being heavier. I have to weigh everyday too, I don't let the number affect my mood or anything though.

Terri S
01-04-2013, 06:04 PM
I tend to gain between 2-5 pounds of water weight right before my period. It always is gone when I finish.

KatieRN1991
01-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah I can totally sympathize! ANother problem that I have during TOM is I'm starving and want to eat everything the week before. That week truly tests my will power!

Liz46
01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Katie, I have that same problem the week before, too, and it's usually impossible to fight the cravings.

teekim22
01-21-2013, 07:26 PM
You are generally more bloated in general during your period- it causes water retention/bloating. So does the birth control pill. The pill also tends to increase cravings and things like that as well :X