General Diet Plans and Questions - Bustin' Sugar - 2013

View Full Version : Bustin' Sugar - 2013

ShootingStar
01-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Happy New Year! The thread description is so good that I hi-jacked it for this year...

This thread is for anyone interested in support and friendship with others who follow a low glycemic diet, especially those who are sugar conscious... Sugarbusters, Glycemic Index Diet, etc. You are very welcome!

ShootingStar
01-02-2013, 06:29 PM
Hi, I'm Kimberly, just turned 49, have MS and T2 diabetes. I am addicted to sugar, especially any kind of cracker or chips. It's awful to open a bag or a box and know that I won't be able to stop thinking about the contents until they are all gone! Any kind of white carb is just lethal for me. I got a copy of Sugar Busters! and will follow the guidelines in it. My sweetie wants to live low sugar as well, so that will help immensely.

I'm also a member of TOPS, and look forward to reaching my goal this year. Here's to a healthy new year!

JoJoJo2
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi, ShootingStar:

Good luck on controlling your sugar intake. Controlling it is very difficult.

In my case, I have given up sugar insofar as it is possible to do so. That is, sugar is in many food items such as fruits as well as many processed foods, so it is very difficult to eliminate it totally. Sugar is addictive for many of us.

Therefore I eat mostly fresh veggies, lean meats, no processed foods, and very little fruits. I also limit grains from my food intake - again, insofar as it is possible.

Like you, I am a diabetic, and limiting my foods is the only way I can keep my glucose levels under control. I did find that the longer I ate this way, the easier it became.

Again, best of luck to you as you work on limiting the sugar in your food intake. :wave:

Ellen
01-04-2013, 09:57 AM
Happy New Year! Hello ShootingStar and Jojojo! Sorry this area is kind of dead. The Sugar Busters group used to be huge and very active, but the diet kind of fell out of favor to South Beach...there are a few of us who still show up occasionally and post.

I started Sugar Busters about ten years ago, and I still follow the guidelines fairly well, but am more strict on my carbs as I am a T2 diabetic and have trouble controlling my bg. I belong to the YMCA and lift weights, and do cardio there on the recumbent bikes, or in the pool. I have not had any major success with any diet in a long long time. My metabolism is toast due to severe sleep apnea that is now treated, but it was just too late and I have irreparable damage. I try hard to remain upbeat and keep at it, hoping in time things will get better, but I admit I will frequently fail and feel like "what's the use?"

Limiting sugar is not all that hard. You just have to eat clean, and try not to eat much processed stuff. Simply cooked protein and veggies and an approved starch, like a small sweet potato, are not too hard. Like you, Shooting, I am addicted to sugar and carbs, and I just have a hard time controlling my eating in the presence of tasty carby stuff. My biggest downfall is potatoes. I just try to avoid them entirely. Rarely even buy them for my husband....if I fix them, I know I am going to fall. And like you, JoJoJo, I find the best way to control my glucose levels is to eat nothing processed, lean proteins and veggies. I rarely eat fruit and when I do, its almost always berries, which are fairly low in sugar.

Its nice to see some folks interested in Sugarbusters...

Ellen
01-04-2013, 10:01 AM
HEY, TONI! If you are reading, I wanted to tell you I did make it to #1! I beat the #2 woman by 112,000 pounds! I was #5 overall..so only four men lifted more than me! I was pretty stoked! :)

Toni48
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM
Ellen- My gosh that is wonderful. You did it gal!!!! You are the Queen....

Mercee
01-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Just wanted to stop by and say hi. I haven't posted in over a year. Hi Ellen and Toni. Wow can't believe how this thread has died down. I will check back in a few days and see if anyone is still posting here.

Toni48
01-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Mercee- Good to see you posting. How are you doing? Sorry this thread is so slow. I thought it would pick up by now. Hope you're back to eating healthy.

MapleLeaf
01-21-2013, 02:38 PM
I'm another person who has recently been converted to a low sugar diet. I love it so far. I've avoided soda, juice, sweet tea, and other sugary beverages for years now but just this past month I've been eliminating all refined sugar.

It's definitely a work in progress but I've already noticed that the less sugar I eat, the better I feel. :) I still eat other carbs including whole grain bread (I like the Ezekiel brand), vegetables, and fruit but have cut out white bread, rice, pasta, and refined sugar.

I can't believe all of the places sugar is hidden! Peanut butter, yogurt, salad dressing, crackers... it's crazy! One of the best things about eliminating refined sugar is that you automatically start buying less processed and more whole foods.

One other thing I've noticed-- in the past month, I haven't lost weight on the scale but I'm down in inches. Especially around my waist. Has anyone else noticed this?

Toni48
01-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Mapleleaf- Sounds like you're eating really well. Its so hard to get the sugar out.

Jennifer1966
01-21-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm really working on cutting back on refined sugars too. I've only been at it for a couple of weeks, but I do feel better and I have more energy. I'm eating fruit, but trying to eat more vegetables. I do eat sweet potatoes a couple times a week, but not white.

Toni48
01-21-2013, 08:12 PM
I think sweet potatoes are just fine.

Jennifer1966
01-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Toni48: I hope they are cause I love them! I also love fruit and can't imagine giving it up :)

MapleLeaf
01-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Jennifer, same here! :) I love fruit.

Last night for dinner, I had tofu and roasted brussel sprouts and then an orange for dessert. It was all really good!

How are others doing? I'd love to hear some of your favorite meals to get ideas.

tonyamartin
01-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Hi, I'm Kimberly, just turned 49, have MS and T2 diabetes. I am addicted to sugar, especially any kind of cracker or chips. It's awful to open a bag or a box and know that I won't be able to stop thinking about the contents until they are all gone! Any kind of white carb is just lethal for me. I got a copy of Sugar Busters! and will follow the guidelines in it. My sweetie wants to live low sugar as well, so that will help immensely.

I'm also a member of TOPS, and look forward to reaching my goal this year. Here's to a healthy new year!

I used to be addicted to sugar as well. The Sugar Buster book helped me get started. If you are trying to cut back on pasta as well, this might help. Have you ever tried squash spaghetti? When our family has spaghetti, I make squash spaghetti instead of the noodles. This cuts back ALOT of carbs. The other thing I did when I was trying get off of sugar was I ate alot of sugar free jello and I would drink Hoods brand chocolate milk. Good luck to you, you will do fine.

tonyamartin
01-22-2013, 08:02 AM
I'm another person who has recently been converted to a low sugar diet. I love it so far. I've avoided soda, juice, sweet tea, and other sugary beverages for years now but just this past month I've been eliminating all refined sugar.

It's definitely a work in progress but I've already noticed that the less sugar I eat, the better I feel. :) I still eat other carbs including whole grain bread (I like the Ezekiel brand), vegetables, and fruit but have cut out white bread, rice, pasta, and refined sugar.

I can't believe all of the places sugar is hidden! Peanut butter, yogurt, salad dressing, crackers... it's crazy! One of the best things about eliminating refined sugar is that you automatically start buying less processed and more whole foods.

One other thing I've noticed-- in the past month, I haven't lost weight on the scale but I'm down in inches. Especially around my waist. Has anyone else noticed this?

YES!! Some weeks I have not lost any weight, but the inches are smaller. I know I shouldn't get on the scale as much as I do, but I can't help it. I try to focus on the inches lost vs the pounds. (easier said than done)

MapleLeaf
01-22-2013, 04:36 PM
YES!! Some weeks I have not lost any weight, but the inches are smaller. I know I shouldn't get on the scale as much as I do, but I can't help it. I try to focus on the inches lost vs the pounds. (easier said than done)

I'm glad someone else has noticed this! I was starting to doubt myself, thinking I must have been holding the measuring tape wrong before and it was all an illusion because the scale just isn't budging. :dizzy: But my clothes definitely feel looser and even my wedding ring is starting to feel loose.

I don't know if it's just that I'm losing bloat because I stopped eating sugar or if it's fat loss/muscle gain, but I like it!

Ellen
01-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Morning! I have not been on in a while...I apologize. Life tends to go in spurts around here, and lately I have been catching myself coming and going. I finally got back down into the garagio and back to throwing. (the garagio is my studio...I am a potter) The weight lifting has DEFINITELY helped the throwing. I am much stronger and centering and suck is much easier than it was. I am throwing larger with less effort. I still am not seeing much difference in my weight, blood sugar levels, or inches lost, but I am pleased with the strength issues. And my husband and I have been playing raquetball once a week. Its an intense game and a lot of fun...couldn't have done that three months ago.

I am on huge cup of espresso #2 trying to get up and going this morning. It has not helped yet. :)

MAPLELEAF: That is very common to lose inches before it shows up on the scale...don't doubt yourself, just keep on track! Some folks would see nothing on the scale nothing, nothing, then have a big drop all of a sudden. I hope that is the case with you.

TONYAMARTIN: Hello! Nice to 'meet' you!

Off to get ready for a raquetball game with my hubby.... :wave:

Toni48
01-23-2013, 11:36 AM
Had a good dinner of chicken breast cooked in olive oil with spinach for dinner. Think I'm making chinese beef and broccoli tonight with brown rice.

Ellen- Can't believe you're playing racket ball thats so awesome. You're amazing.

Mapleleaf- The inches are great. Thats a true way of telling you're losing weight.

tonyamartin-Its hard to stay off the scale.

Back to having coffee and then maybe a bowl of shedded wheat with skim milk.

Texcollins
01-26-2013, 10:13 AM
Can someone tell the difference (in a nutshell) between Sugar Busters and South Beach? Am I asking in the wrong place? I've had success with Atkins but would like to find a less restrictive and more long term approach and firmly believe getting rid of sugar is essential.
Thank you!

Ellen
01-29-2013, 11:18 AM
TEXCOLLINS: Yes, I think I can. South Beach is two phases..the first is essentially Atkins, and the second is essentially Sugarbusters. They are both low GI diets, which restrict the empty carbs like sugar, white bread, potatoes and corn. So doing Sugarbusters is like starting out on phase two of South Beach. If you have questions, I would be happy to try and help. I did Sugarbusters for years. Right now, I do more of an Atkins to try and control blood sugar issues. I agree with you...sugar is about evil in my book. I just can't handle any of it...in any form.

Ellen
01-29-2013, 11:24 AM
I meant to get here before now and try and be more regular about posting... Yesterday I went to the Y and lifted 73,455 pounds. I was jello last night. Everything ached. I had to take four ibuprofen before I got in bed so I could sleep! And I woke up exactly four hours later when it wore off! I was able to go back to sleep without getting up, which was a blessing. I feel better today.

I am off to Chicago next Monday for my niece's wedding. I am making the cake. I am a bit nervous about it, as its going to be cold, and the timing is going to be tight. I can set up the cake at 2, but the wedding is 20 minutes away at 3. The reception isn't until later, but it will be hard to go set it up after the wedding too. I may have to beg the reception hall to let me set up a bit earlier so I don't chance being late for the wedding.

And I am hoping and praying there will be no snow...being a Georgia gal, I do not have boots, and such for that event. ug! I am wishing she had waited two months so the weather might be nicer!!!

:wave:

Toni48
01-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Morning. Just having my coffee and getting ready to start my day. Eating could be better. I'm thinking about doing something drastic to make me get started in the right direction. Stepped on my scale and the battery is dead so have to see if I have one to replace it.

Ellen- You're doing so good. I'll bet the cake will be beautiful and I'm hopeing you have good weather. I can't imagine how good your exerciseing should be making you feel. After the soreness is over. LOL....

Texcollins- Welcome to our little corner of the world. Hope you keep on posting.

Ellen
02-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Morning! Anyone around anymore? Back from the wedding...it went well. It did snow a lot, and my sister in Boston got snowed in with that big blizzard and was unable to come to the wedding.

MIL is coming this afternoon, so I am cleaning. I wish I was not such a slob! Then I would not have to do a huge amount of work before company came. I just cleaned off my desk and it was so easy, I wonder why it took me months to do it? sigh....

Eating is good, and back to the Y now that I am back. Weight is not budging tho. :(

:wave:

Toni48
02-15-2013, 02:36 PM
Had cataract surgery this week. I'm seeing so much better. Glad its over except for those darn drops I have to keep putting in. Eating has been okay. Steve's daughter sent a box full of stuff from Trader Joes this week. Can't wait to try the pineapple salsa.

Ellen- We just had to clean for Grandson coming. I was thinking why did I wait till company comes before doing stuff. Glad the wedding went well and you didn't get snowed out. Your cake looked beautiful.

Daisyheadmaisy
03-02-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm new and I have a question for you all.. Does everybody stick to the eat fruit a half hour before or 2 hours after other food? I wonder then, are protein shakes I make with plain yogurt or kefir and fruit or pomegranate juice legal? Also has anyone here tried kombucha? It's a fermented tea with probiotics with added fruit juice, but no sugar?

Ellen
03-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Daisy! I never have followed the eat fruit 1/2 to 2 hours before other food rule, and did just fine. It is an interesting concept, but I never noticed any problems with fruit putrefying in my gut and giving me indigestion when I ate it with other foods. And like you, I would mix fruit with kefir and water to make a protein drink (added whey protein to that) and it never bothered me. I think that is one rule you can fudge on and not worry about. I have not tried kombucha, but I am going to look for it. I love tea and love trying new kinds.

SailorD
04-03-2013, 12:00 AM
I wanna join! :D I myself am starting to cut down on sugar (the fact that I love to read labels helps a lot!), and I am already seeing the scale moving down :) As soon as I buy the sugar busters book (which is gonna be reeeally soon), I am gonna start a life style change. Let's see how much I lose then :o

Ellen
04-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Hi Sailor! Sorry this thread is so slow. There are a few of us who check in once in a while...and it might could be more lively if more folks join! I started on Sugarbusters over ten years ago and still follow a lot of the principles it is based on. I think sugar is probably one of the greatest dietary evils we have to deal with! You are going to love it when you have the habit kicked to the curb for good! I too love reading labels! My husband has to eat gluten free and I am allergic to eggs...and we both are supposed to avoid corn. Label reading is essential! Its really hard to avoid all that stuff! Let me know if I can help in anyway.

SailorD
04-08-2013, 01:24 PM
Thank you Ellen! I am still trying to kick the habit, but I still live with my parents, who have a really sweet tooth, so I am surrounded by cookies and candy daily. Thank God is actually getting easier to say "no" every day :)

hilde451
04-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Hello My name is Hilde, and have Follicular Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. I have stage 4 but been in remission for 3 years now. I have had this since 04 and relapsed once . Then did chemo 8 rounds. I am so addicted to sugar. I have both books on the sugar busters diet. Are there any new ones out? I am reading your posts to get inspired to drop most of the sugar in my diet I need to loose 30 lbs that I gained being on steroids during chemo. I am 67 and it seems harder to get off. Cancer feeds on sugar so you would think I would not want any. Thank you. Hilde

Ellen
04-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Hello, Hilde! As far as I know, there are no new editions to the Sugar Busters book. There is a cookbook, but I do not know if it is still in print, or hard to find. Amazon might have it.

I have read that sugar feeds cancer..so yes! Please kick it to the curb! Once you are off it for a bit, it gets easier to avoid it. I occasionally like something sweet, but I find I am not as addicted to it as I was a few years ago. I could not even have a small cheat without started to dream of ways to sneak sugar. Now I can pretty much take it or leave it. Its a good feeling! Eating whole foods, and avoiding processed foods I think has helped me a lot. Do you get any exercise? That definitely helps with the weight loss as we get older.

KYgirlinSC
04-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Hi! I am trying to cut down on sugar in my diet. This is a huge challenge for me as I love sweets! I have a question for all of you. I tend to eat yogurt with granola as a small snack and know that there is a lot of sugar in it. What would a good replacement be for yogurt? I am not a huge yogurt fan so having the granola has made it palatable for me. I would like something with a little protein so I am not tempted to snack. Any help or suggestions would be great!

Elantan
04-24-2013, 08:20 PM
Hi all,

Another sugar addict here, it's good to read there are others that can recognise sugar as an addiction, I've spoke to many here and I get this look as if I'm an alien, if I were to say I was an alcoholic or drug addict or smoke I would not only get support but recognition, however I have asked the dr, the hospital, nurses and even been to see a counsellor but sugar addiction is just not being treated as serious here, and yet we have an obesity epidemic ... It's strange

So anyway... It's good to know that yes it does exist lol

Elantan
04-24-2013, 08:21 PM
Ky have you thought maybe about having some nuts as a treat? Or maybe carrot sticks or celery ?

Ellen
04-30-2013, 11:50 PM
How about cheese? It doesn't take much to satisfy and it is much lower in sugar then flavored yogurt. I personally like plain Greek yogurt, so I am not a good person to ask! Raw veggies are a good snack, and if you want some protein, a few almonds. Or a small serving of cottage cheese. Sometimes, I make a large batch of chicken salad and I can have a snack of that with some whole grain crackers. I used to make beef jerky to have as a snack, but came to accept that I can't control how much I eat since its totally addicting. But it was a great high protein snack.