Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Default Running Resolutely in January....

6 miles on the treadmill today - Didn't get into the groove until about mile 4. I guess we have the sucky runs in order to appreciate the good ones!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

I started the year off with a 5K yesterday. It was cold and rainy and downright miserable. Lots of us didn't have our chips record us properly across the start, so I only have a gun time. That gun time was faster than my best chip time by 1 sec. Yay for a PR! My chip time should have been about 20 secs faster still.

I've made myself some running goals for 2013. In no particular order:
1. Finish the Princess Half Marathon without getting swept (only 53 days, eek!)
2. Run at least one race per month
3. Run at least 1000 miles in 2013
4. Run my first full marathon in Dec 2013
5. sub 30 5K (this one seems the least attainable right now)

With classes starting back, I'm going to do my mid-week runs inside. Once day per week will be speedwork. Hoping to get that pace down a bit more.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 136/ticker/110

I ran 5 miles yesterday. There were some places where I had to walk gingerly, though, because the roads and sidewalks are icy. Still, best way I know of to start the new year!

My goal for right now is to get my weekly mileage up. I'm at around 20 now, so I'd like to get it to 25 for January. It's hard because I avoid the gym in January if I can, and finding time to run outside when it's safe is difficult. If it's dark out I can't see if the road is icy and that makes me nervous.

I may have to bite the bullet and show up at the gym at 5am. I'm pretty sure I won't need to wait for a treadmill at that hour.
MissJeanLouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #4  
WC

S/C/G: sz 14-16/sz 10/sz 10 now sz 8

Height: 5'7"

Started the new thread before seeing this one sorry I'll just post here:

I myself haven't had much to post - I hurt my left foot running 10 miles on Dec. 24th and have been told to rest by foot doc until this Saturday due to a pulled muscle in the foot. I am CHOMPING at the bit to run but my foot felt agitated this morning again...it's extremely frustrating especially since I have a half marathon in Key West on January 19th...I hope someone else has better news to share!
lm3898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 157/147/135

Height: 5'4"

I walked 4 yesterday and ran 3 this morning. My goal is to get my weekly mileage back to a respectable number (20-25) and to BE CONSISTENT! I don't even have the excuse of cold, snow and ice. It was 53 degrees here this morning!

I have 4 on schedule for tomorrow. I will do this!
Julie131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #6  
WC

Working on getting back to running - tried to do 2 miles just to get back into it & my foot is a little sore today. I didn't wait the full week but I feel like I'm running out of time with this half marathon in 2.5 weeks. It wasn't a bad two miles I just wish the foot pain was good, it's on the left bottom of my left foot- SO weird! I hate be plagued by foot problems...

Julie - 53 degrees sounds like heaven - enjoy it!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #7  

Tabbycat here.

I'm almost 57 and just started jogging last spring. I can now run 3 miles in about 35 minutes, but not in the morning. My back hurts so much in the morning (I have osteoarthritis) that I can hardly hobble. I have run a couple of 5K events and can barely break 38 minutes in the morning.

I ran 2 miles in a cold drizzle on Wed and 3 miles on Thurs.

I love reading the inspiring things you young'uns are doing!
Tabbycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #8  
Nicole

I'm running a couple of miles with a bunch of other people tomorrow. I'm dreading those 2 miles. I'm so much slower than everyone else. Yes, I get that I used to be a lot slower than I am now, and I get that I'm continually getting a little bit faster. I'm still slow though, and I hate it. They're running nonstop at a 10 min mile while I'm still doing 5/1 intervals at a 14 min mile. I don't wanna go tomorrow.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #9  
Living the Life

I did a half marathon Saturday. About 2:14 (don't know official yet). Oh man was I sore. Much more than I thought I would be. Of course two weeks off and Christmas cookies might play into that. It is a hilly race, but I love it. It was my third time doing this one.

That was my end goal for training, so I have to dream up a new plan. I have a few 10k, 5ks lined up but I think I might go for speed this time. I'm not very good at speed unless I'm with my faster husband or actually at a race. So this will be a challenge to actually train for. There is a race March 2nd that I am aiming for.

Nikel1979-Awesome starting the year off with a 5k. Looks like you have some fun plans for the year. Have fun tomorrow with the group run! It will be great. Honestly, I walk/run with my friend after work and she is slower than me and worries like you do--but she completely motivates me. Actually most of the people I get the chance to run with are running/walking different paces so we may only stay together for a little bit, or pass each other, but that's awesome enough to keep people going!
Cheshirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #10  
Nicole

My group run wasn't so bad. They were running behind, so I did 2 (very hilly) miles by myself, and then I met up with them and did their last mile with them. They are much faster, but I also pushed to try to keep up with them & ran my fastest mile ever. It's still slow compared to them.

Today I got out and did 7.5 miles. I'm finally getting pretty consistent with my pace. I even had some negative splits in the middle. Unfortunately the blister that won't go away started to really hurt around mile 5, and I had to back off a little.

Tomorrow is a rest day, which I'm very much looking forward to. My blister is still killing me.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #11  
Lifelong Alaskan!

S/C/G: 230/180/150

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
My group run wasn't so bad. They were running behind, so I did 2 (very hilly) miles by myself, and then I met up with them and did their last mile with them. They are much faster, but I also pushed to try to keep up with them & ran my fastest mile ever. It's still slow compared to them.

Today I got out and did 7.5 miles. I'm finally getting pretty consistent with my pace. I even had some negative splits in the middle. Unfortunately the blister that won't go away started to really hurt around mile 5, and I had to back off a little.

Tomorrow is a rest day, which I'm very much looking forward to. My blister is still killing me.
when i get blisters, they are usually BIG and BAD ughh...when i run with one, i usually put a bandage over it, then a small piece of moleskin for cushioning and then athletic tape over that to keep it in place while i run...so far that has worked really well...
alaskanlaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #12  
WC

Well, started to ease back into running on Saturday after 10 days of resting my foot. Felt so-so doing two miles Fri & Sat...planning on trying to five miles tonight - wish me luck!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Good luck lm! BTW - hope you didn't mind me starting this thread!!

On Friday, my OTHER It Band started to bother me! Grrrr...... May have to get another strap or may just have to slow down.

I walked the dogs 6 miles on Saturday and 7.5 yesterday and then ran 3 on the treadmill just to see how it felt. I ran at a much slower pace then usual and it didn't act up, so I'm hopeful...

Our sidewalks are COVERED with a thick layer of ice and snow, but we're headed for a warm up this week. Keeping my fingers crossed it will melt the sidewalks and I can run outside!
CherryPie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #14  
Staying the Same

S/C/G: 160+/116-120/maintainer

Height: 5'5

Ran 4 miles on icy snow yesterday on the bike path. Pleeeeeease melt soon.
krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #15  
Nicole

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskanlaughter View Post
when i get blisters, they are usually BIG and BAD ughh...when i run with one, i usually put a bandage over it, then a small piece of moleskin for cushioning and then athletic tape over that to keep it in place while i run...so far that has worked really well...
I've ried bandages, moleskin, body glide, double socks, etc. Nothing works. It wasn't a problem until I got up to longer distances. I'm sure the problem is that mt right foot is a full size smaller than my left. I'm hoping that they can offer some suggestions. Maybe lacing my shoe differently will help? Otherwise, I'll have to buy mis-matched shoes, as I don't spend enough on running shoes as it is. Plus I'm worried about switching with my race coming up in less than 7 weeks. I can really feel it in my ankle that I started limping yesterday, so clearly I need to do something.