Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Question Sertraline

Hi Everyone,

I started taking Sertraline 50mg back in August, I am still at the same dose. It has definately helped my anxiety and intrusive thoughts, but I've also gained weight. Over the past 4 months, I've managed to gain almost 40lbs back and I'm becoming depressed. I don't know if it's because of the medication OR my lack of point counting. I workout every single day for 2 to 3 hours (I know that's a long time but it helps my anxiety).

Has anyone gained from taking Sertraline/Zoloft?
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:22 PM   #2  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I think the jury is still out on whether or not zoloft causes weight gain. Many people believe that, and there have been studies that show that it does cause it in some people. Does that mean that's the cause for you? I wish I could answer that.

I gained 60 lbs while I was on it, but I also ate very badly, so who knows what the real culprit is. I'm no longer on it, but I was able to lose weight on it as well in the past, so it is possible to do.

I think the key is that you're AWARE there could be a problem with weight gain, so you can take extra steps to avoid it.

There are other possible side effects with that drug too, and I highly recommend you read up on them. After being on it for about 5 years, I finally was able to come off and control my emotions. Zoloft was really a tool that taught me how to do that, and was no longer needed at that point. I hope that's how it ends up for you.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 273/261/135

Height: 5'3"

This is what I am on and I my doctor just double my dose today. I am so tired all the time and have no energy and I just want to sleep. I did have labs done today to check iron and other things as well. I seem to gain and lose the same 20 pounds since being n this drug.

Last edited by daphneg64; 01-08-2013 at 07:12 PM.
daphneg64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 265/264/165

Height: 5'8

Last summer I was first put on Lexapro then Celexa because the Lexapro was too expensive. Once I was on the Celexa I started gaining weight so I stopped, I only gained about 10 pounds when I was on it but that was enough for me. At the end of September I was put on Sertraline and since gained another 20 pounds. I tried Atkins again which usually helps me lose weight but I kept gaining. I stopped taking it last week and since have dropped 5 pounds and haven't been eating that healthy. I will say I don't recommend stopping cold turkey as I had about two weeks of nausea and lightheadedness but I think it was worth it to end the weight gain.
airomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I also take sertraline. I was on 50mg for 4 months and just this week was upped to 75mg. Before being put on it I had lost almost 40lbs but because I started getting more and more depressed I basically gained it all back.

The first month I was on sertraline I lost 20lbs, aided by the fact that I had the anorexia side effect. I'd eat a few bites of food and be full/disinterested and if I kept eating because I knew I wasn't ACTUALLY full I'd get nauseous. Once I was able to eat like a human being again I gained it back, plus a little more. It wasn't because of the medication, it was because I was eating crap. It took over two months for the sertraline to kick in for me so I had basically continued my emotional eating after losing that 20lbs.

Then I sprained my ankle running, was upset I couldn't run anymore, my fiance decided he was going to leave his good job at a bank to run his own online business and it was stressing me the heck out so I kept eating like crap.

But now I have a better handle on everything and the medication is working well despite needing an uppage in dose. I'm feeling better and this month decided to put my effort back into weight loss. Have lost 11lbs so far.

I understand that you are exercising a lot but your diet matters too. You might be taking in more food than you realize. But also, you can grow use to your level of medication and need more. I realized I started falling back into my typical "I'm depressed" patterns and got it increased ASAP because I didn't want to risk my emotional eating issues arising again.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 152/cw 147/gw 135/ugw 130

Height: 5'7''

I'm also on sertraline. I lost on it my 3rd year of law school, but I'm not sure if that was due to the fact that I was running myself ragged/often forgetting to eat because I was so busy. I'm back on it again and am hoping to hear what other people have experienced while on it. I am losing so far, but the past few days I have been super super super hungry and have overeaten a little.
bubblybarrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #7  

I've been on it for 7 years. It stops working and they up the dose I got all the way up to 200mg. I am able to lose weight while on it, but it goes in cycles where I lose it but gain it right back. All the ssri's cause an increase in carbohydrate cravings for me. I've used Prozac, Cylexa, and Zoloft. To the original poster- if you gain that much weight that quickly without bingeing and the only change was the medication then that's probably what caused it.

Last edited by mingming; 02-21-2013 at 10:20 PM.
mingming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 160/136/115

Height: 5'2"

I just started zoloft about 2 months ago. I am on 75 mg right now. I have gained weight since starting it BUT who knows if it is actually from the medicine. As we all know being depressed affects some of us and how we eat. I end to turn to food when I am depressed so that could be the reason for the weight gain as well. I am hoping it doesnt make losing weight harder though. I am just starting on my weight loss journey so dont know yet. I will repost here after I have lost some weight (hopefully)
ThatGirlAtTheGym is offline   Reply With Quote