Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 31 - Jan 6

BillBlueEyes
12-31-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm still facing four eating situations associated with New Year's Eve. One is a concert on New Year's Day with FREE champagne toast during intermission and dark chocolate for designated drivers. One year I ate a lot of chocolate thinking that I'd compensate for the pricey tickets, LOL. This year I plan to have ... none. Someday I'll internalize that I don't have to eat food just because it's FREE, but until then I can plan, plan, plan.

We had six inches of snow of the kind that freezes to the car. I had to break open one of the doors of our car last night - a real pain, but we got in. Sidewalks are clear enough for walking, but it's got to be slowly because ice patches hide everywhere.

Hope everyone has a joyful and sane celebration tonight.

Mudpie
12-31-2012, 05:57 AM
Bill You have much internal strength! I would not turn down the chocolate, especially if it were the dark, bittersweet Belgian kind :drool:.

But I would decide on a limit for myself - probably 3 chocolates - and take them and leave the area! :p

DH and I are not celebrating much tonite - he's studying and I'm going to work on Wed.. Alcohol :hat: in any amount would upset our sleep too much for us to be in top shape for each endeavour. We did split a nice bottle of shiraz on Saturday night. I'm going to pay for the 2 glasses I had :tired: until about Wed. but it was a nice, relaxed evening so it was worth it.

I have work-related errands downtown today so will also pick through some sale leftovers as an amusement and get some hair goop that only one shop sells.

I think I'm looking at going to bed around 10 p.m. tonite. New Year's Day I'm going to let DH sleep in while I go down to the waterfront and start the year with a 2 hour walk by myself. I am also going to scatter my dog's ashes on her and my favourite beach. She's been dead 20 years and I want to give her the final resting place I've been mulling over for the last 5 or so. It feels "right" this year. :angel:

Happy New Year's eve everyone! Let's celebrate the end of the "eating season" starting tomorrow! :cheer2:

WardHog
12-31-2012, 07:08 AM
Happy New Year! I'll probably be asleep by 10:30. :cheers:

saef
12-31-2012, 07:23 AM
I've got to work today, and so I started the morning off with a spin class at 6 AM. Now I've logged onto work email & am annoyed to find that an analyst who bothered me about a breaking news item on an acquisition on Boxing Day, which was my day off, has decided that he "doesn't want to rush it" and is dropping the job. I worked really hard on two days off to get his analytical piece in shape and fact-checked, and now I won't even get any publication credit for it. I want to slap him through the phone somehow. But since I would've been getting this out today, this does lighten my workload this morning considerably.

Usually I ignore New Year's Eve except for avoiding driving anywhere on that evening.

My old neighborhood used to be noisy at midnight, with fireworks and random guns going off, which invariably woke me up from my sleep.

Where I live now, that most definitely does not happen, but there will be an amazing number of wine bottles in recycling tomorrow.

I love waking early on New Year's Day. In this hustling, crowded, traffic-jammed area, it is beautifully peaceful and the streets are nearly empty.

CherryPie99
12-31-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm in a pretty good mood this morning! I weighed in at 117.1. So despite all the holiday indulging, I'm right smack dab in the middle of my weight range.

We do absolutely nothing on New Year's Eve. So this year will be no different. Boring couple, we are!

Hope everyone who is going out has a wonderful time!

Jen

traveling michele
12-31-2012, 09:25 AM
Happy New Year to all. We will be staying in tonight as we have our not quite one year old nephew with us. The meal tonight is steak which I don't eat. I spoke up and will be having some seafood instead.

Still terrified of the scale but going home tomorrow. One more bikram class today to flush things out!

At least I don't drink so no worries there.

bargoo
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Saturday I rearranged my closets and yesterday I rearranged my rearrangement, I think I am satisfied and will leave it as is.
I have no plans for tonight so will not be tempted by calorie laden food or champagne I will probably be in bed by 10:30 or 11 . I am a truly boring person.
I am happy to be at 118.4 today, a good figure to begin the year 2013 !
Happy New Year everyone !

krampus
12-31-2012, 10:31 AM
Hi Maintainers!

My boyfriend and I are driving up to Montreal today. We have a room at the Omni which is very nice judging by their website. We'll probably go to Foufounes Electriques and drink $2 beers.

alinnell
12-31-2012, 11:21 AM
New Year's Eve for us includes a visit to Chico's oncologist this morning. A stop at the office to feed Culley. Golf this afternoon if the weather holds out. It's been miserably cold. Well, cold for us. Saturday, we all showed up for our 1 PM golf tee time in shorts and we were second guessing our decision by the third hole. I said it looked like it would snow--the clouds were dark an ominous. We managed to finish the round with thankfully no precipitation, but it did rain all the way home that night. Sunday started off cold but with almost clear skies. A few clouds hung over the mountains, obscuring what snow had accumulated up there. Again, the weather turned against us and we were more than happy to end the game and head indoors where we spent the day napping in front of the fire!

After golf this afternoon, I have to come home and make a carrot cake for tomorrow's triple birthday celebration.

And I can practically guarantee that I will be fast asleep by 10 PM tonight!

Last night Louie alternated sleeping with DH and myself. He curled up against our side, in a well provided by the crook of our arm. It made me able to fall asleep more easily! Usually when I wake at 3 AM, I toss and turn for a couple hours with just short naps in each position. With the cat there, I couldn't possibly toss and turn--it forced me to assume one position and stay there and it worked! I even had a very nice dream for once!

bargoo
12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Allison, I hope Chico's visit to the oncologist has positive results.
Christmas day we went to a brunch at a hotel in San Jose, acres of food. After brunch we walked across the street to Christmas In The Park, all delightfully decorated for Christmas. I had the foresight to bring a pair of gloves and a knit cap and I was glad I had them as it was rainy and very cold.

paperclippy
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM
Allison, hope Chico's visit goes well!

I am working from home today, but I get tomorrow off. We're having our piano tuned and poor Carter is very upset that we won't let him go get in the piano tuner's face and beg to be petted. We've got him on a leash in the living room and he's whining and grumbling and making a fuss. He's not trying to run off or anything, just complaining.

No new year's plans here. DH is still recovering from a cold and we both are still trying to get ourselves back onto eastern time, so we don't want to stay up late. Last night we were in bed at 9 and I expect the same tonight!

ICUwishing
12-31-2012, 02:33 PM
:wave: Finishing the year at 148.0, which is just fine with me.

DH and one of our foodie friends will take over the kitchen and prepare a Cajun feast. It won't be a big crowd, as two have already backed out. We'll be having crawfish-stuffed pasta shells smothered in a creole sauce, and a chicken fricassee. I'll be preparing a massive green salad. And DH will unveil his current brew, an Imperial Pale Ale that tested out at 7.9%. It's very smooth and way too easy to drink for its stats!

I will be watching the ball drop in New York on TV at midnight to ring in the new year. :)

alinnell
12-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Thanks everyone, Chico's oncologist visit did go well. He said that "the honeymoon is over" and to be on the watch for several things (coughing, vomiting, diarrhea and lack of appetite). He said this cancer generally spreads to the lungs first, so that's why we need to watch the coughing. Thankfully he has had none yet. His platelets were almost up to non-cancerous levels and his white cells are up as well. Good visit overall.

Now off for golf!

Megan1982
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM
Happy almost New Year, all! Unfortunately my cold has morphed into a weird stomach bug so I've spent most of today on the couch. I'm feeling better but am on the fence about our original plan to go out and see friends from out of town. I really don't want to be feeling sick in a crowded bar, so, we'll see... Alcohol is obviously out of the question, anyway. There will be fireworks out on the beach and our few bars will be hopping, but quiet on my street unless we have any crazy renters this week.

My plan to do some healthy cooking and clean the house on my days off has been going well so far. Hopefully I can finish up tomorrow. I have a 3-day work week this week.

Allison, glad Chico's vet visit went well.

Becky, sounds like a feast! Your dh's ipa will be delicious I'm sure. Once my friends figured out how to make an ipa properly we all became big fans of homemade.

Krampus, enjoy Montreal! Sounds fun!

Saef, perhaps some voodoo dolls with your coworkers faces would be in order. We won't tell. :devil:

Bill, good luck. "Free" is hard for me to resist, too.

Bargoo, bed before midnight isn't boring. It is sensible. Sure going out can be fun, but sometimes I don't understand our obsession to have "the best night ever!" every new years.

Have a safe night all!

BillBlueEyes
01-01-2013, 04:04 AM
Hope everyone has coffee and is recovering joyfully this morning.

I seem to have Megan's cold. My cough was so bad that I skipped two events last night and went to bed at 9pm. Felt bad that I abandoned my DW who went to the midnight party by herself, but sneezing over the platters of shrimp would have been bad form. It sure saved calories though, LOL. Wish I could keep the lack of attraction to food when I ditch the stuffed up head.

krampus - Hope you're having an exciting Montreal weekend. I'm impressed that you have found $2 beers.

Sending supportive thoughts to Allison for the year with Chico.

I'll be thinking of you and your journey on the beach today, Dagmar.

Mudpie
01-01-2013, 05:34 AM
Happy New Year Bill. I hope your cold leaves as quickly as mine did. Yes, I do have coffee :coffee: and will be heading out as soon as it is light (and after I wake DH, who drank very little and came to bed around 10:30 last night :eek:)

Happy New Year to everyone! Let's make 2013 the best year ever for continued maintenance!

Dagmar :coolsnow:

ChrisMohr
01-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Happy New Year all! Karen and I went to a great downtown restaurant, watched fireworks, listened to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and went to bed at 12:30 am. January is the month the world will support us in our efforts towards food sanity. Looking forward to a great year for all of us!

BTW if anyone's interested they can go to Facebook and check out or even Like the Foothills Chapel page there. Not that I expect to perform anyone's wedding from this group, but some of the stuff I post may be of some general interest.

WardHog
01-01-2013, 10:20 AM
Happy New Year all! Karen and I went to a great downtown restaurant, watched fireworks, listened to Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and went to bed at 12:30 am. January is the month the world will support us in our efforts towards food sanity. Looking forward to a great year for all of us!

BTW if anyone's interested they can go to Facebook and check out or even Like the Foothills Chapel page there. Not that I expect to perform anyone's wedding from this group, but some of the stuff I post may be of some general interest.

I sent you a friend request. :)

bargoo
01-01-2013, 10:30 AM
Chris, I am not planning on getting married but this looks like a beautiful place for the ceremony.

alinnell
01-01-2013, 10:36 AM
Beautiful chapel, Chris!

I had a wonderful round of golf yesterday! I finally got my groove back after having it leave me for the past two weeks. I shaved 13 off of my score from the previous day! Going back out this morning, but it will be cold!

We turned in at 10 PM last night. No party for us, but I have to admit, I gave into my sweet tooth and had a bowl of ice cream. This doesn't stress me, though. I probably won't have another bowl for at least two more months!

Today is the birthday celebration day. My FIL's birthday is today, DH's is coming up on Friday and of course DS's was on Christmas. Today they get to unwrap their birthday presents that the cats have been slowly unwrapping for the past four days. And today my DD comes home to pick up her two cats. We'll have normality this week!

saef
01-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Out of curiosity, I went back to my journal for New Year's Eve in 2011 and 2010, and found that usually I'm in the blackest of moods that evening but that as New Year's Day wears on, I end up feeling pretty good. Also that I have a habit of long tub soaks with Lush bath bombs before bedtime, that I am always using up Christmas ham in a Hopping John soup recipe with black-eyed peas and collard greens, and that I usually see a movie. And this year was no exception. Everything played out as it usually does. I feel a little sad to live so predictably, following the same old patterns, but it's not as if I didn't know that about myself already, that I run on a set of pre-laid tracks.

I am trying to be nice to myself today but I don't yet know what that will entail. Not eating and not overshopping, though.

EZMONEY
01-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Saef.....aren't those called "traditions"?....nothing wrong with that :-)

saef
01-01-2013, 08:56 PM
Gary, I really like your way of turning that around in a positive direction.

But mostly, I just like to see you posting here. ;-)

Wishing you a happy new year ... you deserve good things to come to you in 2013.

alinnell
01-01-2013, 11:55 PM
We will always appreciate Gary's postings! And I love how positive how he always is--here and on FB. He is an inspiration to us all!

BillBlueEyes
01-02-2013, 04:15 AM
The good: The concert on New Year's Day was enchanting - turns out it was broadcast live on PRI (Public Radio International) so we had to applaud on cue, LOL. At the intermission when FREE champagne and FREE chocolates were available, I had neither. A major achievement since I'm such a sucker for FREE. (They weren't Belgium dark chocolates, but more like Hersey's wrapped stuff from Halloween.)

The bad: I was bummed to miss my midnight New Year's Eve party due to my cold, but happy to have missed all the calories. Ooops ... the host sent my DW home with a plate of the best foods to make my "cold feel better." Yeah for good friends; Ouch for consuming the plate for lunch to get those calories back.

Today feels like Monday, so I'll be confused all day I suppose.

Mudpie
01-02-2013, 05:28 AM
Saef.....aren't those called "traditions"?....nothing wrong with that :-)

:D So true Gary :D

Dagmar :dizzy:

Mudpie
01-02-2013, 05:33 AM
Bill I too an confused. I'm back at work today and, thinking it was Monday, was looking for a new weekly chat thread. :dizzy:

I got a New Year's "gift" from one of my clients - she moved without telling me! I found out from the "alternate" dog walker who was taking her dog out over Christmas. We have been expecting this move for some time (my client has been taking stuff over to her new condo since September) but she could have worked all of this out with me beforehand. It involves security clearance, a keycard, and a key to her new door.

I imagine I won't see the dog this week now.

Dagmar :crazy:

bargoo
01-02-2013, 08:36 AM
Dagmar, there is so much stuff to remember when one moves, it is almost guarenteed that something important will be overlooked.

Megan1982
01-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Morning all,

It was surprisingly easy to get up so early this AM after sleeping in on vacation. Especially considering I was wide awake until midnight and did not want to go to sleep last night. I'm hoping the inevitable crash later isn't too bad, but know getting back on a work schedule will take some harsh adjustment. Tonight's yoga class will be my first day of project do more yoga in 2013. I think I'll even make a chart to keep track of my practicing. My cold is much better but my stomach is still sort of wonky, but is lessening as the days go by and wasn't enough to keep me in yesterday. BF went out for a bit new years eve, and was home with me by 9:00 to watch the Goonies (a favorite of ours!). We tried to stay up, but were in bed when the movie ended at 11:15. Last night I was going to cook pork, saurkraut, and greens to honor my German side, but discovered a leak in my kitchen plumbing. Not a huge deal, luckily, but by the time BF had figured that out it was rather late, kitchen cabinet contents strewn everywhere, and we ate leftovers. Is it still lucky if you eat it Jan 2?

I had an epiphany this morning. I've felt like I've been in a bad mood so much more over the last year. I hate posting it here, bc I feel I've been posting it so often (probably not that bad, but it feels like it for me), but maybe some of you have noticed. I've also been struggling to get in my exercise and my strength training really fell off about 2 years ago. I KNOW that I get mood-enhancing benefits short term from single workouts. How about long term from many workouts? I feel silly for not considering this sooner. Yet another incentive to get my exercise program together. Perhaps there are some other things I could be doing also for my happiness, but more consistent exercise could certainly help.

Dagmar, hopefully everything will be sorted out and you will see this dog next week.

Saef, I had exactly the same thought as Gary. Just because you don't have the same traditions as everyone else doesn't make them any less worthy of being called a tradition. Hopping John soup and a bath sounds like a great evening.

Allison, I could use some normality in my life, too. It's really nice to have time off but certain parts of me like my waistline benefit from routine.

Chris, Ward, Bargoo, Gary, Krampus, Jessica, and everyone else out there, Happy New Year!

alinnell
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM
It really does feel like Monday, doesn't it? But then, I guess that's okay because we only have a three-day work week!

We're starting on our moving checklist now. Today I need to get the utilities moved to our name so we have electricity in the new building. I need to send some photos out to get quotes for a sign on the monument outside the building. I have no idea what to expect for a price on that! DH is getting workers lined up to get the various repairs done. No packing will be done until next month, though.

DD came home yesterday with her boyfriend for our annual birthday celebration. As the day wore on I asked when she planned on leaving. Oh, Thursday! I hadn't gotten the bed made up. Oh, well, that was easy enough and I am really glad she's here for more than just one day. But I wasn't prepared. Now I have to go to the grocery store today to pick up stuff so we have enough to eat!

paperclippy
01-02-2013, 09:50 AM
Happy new year, folks! I too am back at work today (in the office, as opposed to at home like I was Monday), and feeling like it ought to be Monday. OTOH I'm glad there are only a couple more days before the weekend! :lol:

We got a camcorder for Christmas (intended use: baby videos) and immediately took a video of Carter running around in the snow at the park. Here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7v6ZlL0gKQ&feature=youtu.be) for those who are interested. He loves to run when the snow is really deep, and while he's running he'll take a big mouthful of snow and toss it in the air!

Get well soon to all the sick folks. DH is still coughing up a lung, and I'm still pretty much fine. We have no idea how he managed to get sick and not me. The only difference between us is that I had a Tdap booster shot this year and he didn't, so maybe it's some kind of very mild adult variety of pertussis? (He was vaccinated as a child but no boosters.) Either that or just a very long-lived common cold which consists entirely of coughing and nothing else. He's been coughing for about 10 days now -- usually colds only last 3-4 days for him.

Saef, yes, if you do the same thing on New Year's every year, it is a tradition! (I hesitate to call it a tradition for my family to fight about food safety and when to take the roast out of the fridge on Christmas every year, but it kind of is.)

Megan, yes, exercise definitely can have an effect on your mood. Maybe some more time running with your dog is called for?

Dagmar, I bet that it just slipped their mind with all of the other things they had to remember about moving!

bargoo
01-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Jessica, be super careful about you catching whatever bug is going around. Has DH seen a doctor, seems like a long time for a cough to last ?
I well remember going with my mother to get our flu shots, I also got the pneumonia shot, she refused the pneumonia shot. Guess who ended up in the hospital with pneumonia ? She got the shot the following year !

paperclippy
01-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Bargoo, thanks, we are being careful but at this point it's been long enough that if I haven't caught his cold by now I'm not going to. We have both been washing our hands a lot, etc. I had a flu shot this year in addition to the Tdap booster, and have had boosters for a bunch of other vaccines the past few years so I feel like I'm relatively safe from all of the serious things that may go around. If he's not better by the end of the week we'll schedule him to go to the doctor in case it's some kind of bronchitis or something.

saef
01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Megan, I'll offer additional testimony to the efficacy of exercise as a mood booster. When I head off to spin class at 5:45 AM on Mondays & Wednesdays, I am usually tired, irritable and anxious, often overwhelmed by the day ahead of me. At some point about halfway through the class, the endorphins kick in. I can actually feel my mood clear. It's like I finally poked my head out of some kind of hole that I'd drawn into, and I smell the clean fresh air. Everything ahead of me seems manageable. And this lasts for a while afterward. I usually walk home amazed at the difference in my attitude. And it goes well beyond just checking off something on the day's to-do list.

I'm back in our Connecticut office today, and glad to get an email apology from the analyst who put me through so much grief on the day after Christmas. A public apology, as it were, because he copied his manager and another analyst on the email.

My annoyance for today is running a meeting that my boss told me to call today, though I wanted to wait until next week, when the holidays will most definitely be over. Of six people who could have attended, only two will be there. The others are still out of the office. Since the meeting was called to brainstorm and get buy-in, this is not going to be an effective meeting. Oh, well ...

Oh, and today I had the awkwardness of being part of a group of people discussing "Django Unchained" with great fervor and hilarity within earshot of a coworker who lives in Newtown and who finally, after nearly three weeks away, has come back to the office to work. I think I'm the only person in the group who realized what was happening and I finally managed to edge everyone away, down the hall to get coffee, rather than standing near that person's desk. I do feel a little guilty. Yes, I liked the movie, with all its theatrical vengeance-taking. But no, of course, I don't condone gun violence and I certainly don't think my coworker should have to listen to people enthusing about all the bloodstains. Tarantino is Tarantino, what can I say? Art is amoral, that's how it works.

bargoo
01-02-2013, 10:27 AM
Good plan, Jessica. When I was pregnant with DS1 I developed a cough, couldn't shake it, somebody said I wouldn't get rid of that cough until the baby was born, I had that darn cough quite awhile. He was born back in the prehistoric era when newborns were kept in the nursery and only brought into new mamas room for nursing, I had to wear a mask every time he was brought in. The cough did go away soon after, though.This was my experience , don't know if other pregnant moms have had the same .

Mudpie
01-03-2013, 05:31 AM
DH showed me the coolest thing last night. Instead of sitting down in front of yet another reality or cop show we hooked the computer up to the TV and watched music videos on the big screen. We rambled all over the place on Utube and I am now a fan of Townes Van Zandt and Ceelo Greene, etc. We spent about 2 hours doing this together and it was interesting and much more dynamic than slumping in front of the TV.

DH made us each a bowl of fresh pomegranate seeds and frozen blueberries so our snacking was healthy too! I think DH might finally be fed up with being fat and this is his start to losing weight.

He did mention "Slimband" surgery but I know we can't afford that. I keep telling him it is possible to develop impulse control and willpower - you just have to consciously exercise it every day. Like going for a walk.

I figure if I keep repeating the word walk to him he might get out there 2-3 times a week and do that.

Megan1982
01-03-2013, 08:23 AM
Morning all,
I felt very virtuous yesterday for ignoring the homemade cookies someone brought into the office and eating my planned healthy food & snacks. Unfortunately, they didn't all get eaten, and we have a staff meeting with food in a few minutes. I'll have to be even more virtuous today. It is rainy, chilly, and blech here. I'm armed with a new box of decaf tea, healthy snacks, and the intention to suit up and jog with the dog after work barring total downpours. Or work out inside in the case of the downpours.

There has got to be an app for this. I want to keep track of a) yoga workouts and b) all workout days over the year, and be able to pull out monthly "reports" if I want to. At least # of days of yoga, and # of days of exercise logged. I've started using the free myfitnesspal app over the last six months or so and while I can log exercise, I don't think (?) I can pull out a "report", only scroll back day by day to see what I've done. I could make a paper log, or an excel spreadsheet, but I'd like to minimize the # of times I enter my exercise, y'know? Anyone have any app ideas for the ipad that might be more helpful? I've also started using the ipad calendar to log my events, but again, short of logging exercise as an "event", I don't think I can pull it out to get a final report, just scroll back through.

Dagmar, I did inform my BF that I am trying to tighten up, I partied too much last year, and he shouldn't be surprised if I don't want to just go to the bar every weekend. He hears, but does he listen? We'll see. He is truly supportive most of the time, but we will keep trying with our less healthier halves. Frozen pomegranate & blueberry sounds delicious.

Saef, one coworker apologizes, another makes silly demands... I still think the voodoo dolls are a good idea. ;) Good for you for realizing the awkwardness/inappropriateness of the movie conversation and moving it down the hall.

Jessica, hope DH recovers soon. I forgot to comment the other day when you mentioned Carter follows you into the bathroom. Emma does the same thing. BF calls her "my little stalker". Perhaps. But she's so cute about it.

Have a good Thursday all!

alinnell
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Megan~my DD uses Endomondo for tracking her exercise. I believe it has GPS built into it, so if you're out for a wog, it will track your distance as well as time. Google it. It is a free app. And if you're on FB, it'll post your exercise there (if you should desire).

Yesterday's work was crazy busy! I felt that I crammed three day's worth of work into the morning and the afternoon was just as busy! Today will be much slower and more normal. But we did get the whole check list of items to do for the building done (or at least started--some things are now dependent on others).

paperclippy
01-03-2013, 09:26 AM
Megan, I have logged my workouts with MapMyRun/MapMyRide/MapMyFitness (they're all really one site with different access points). They have an app that's pretty straightforward to use. I've only used the app for logging walks/runs (it ties to your GPS and gives you time, distance, map, pace, etc.) but I believe you can log anything into it.

saef
01-03-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm also part of the general movement toward virtuous behavior. Last night after dinner, even though the trash TV looked intriguing -- a reality show about ministers and "first ladies," the term used for their wives -- I went to bed with a book and read for an hour before turning the lights off and trying to get more sleep. I still woke unwillingly on a chilly morning after the coldest night of the year since last January. Did I mention that my mother & I successfully shut off the radiators in my apartment, and now it's gone from overheated to cold? I've gone from sweating in a t-shirt to wearing fleece indoors and drinking lots of hot tea and decaf coffee on my work-from-home days to stay warm. On the whole, though, I'd rather be cold than too warm.

Megan, I don't do any logging other than here in the thread devoted to movement. That's my accountability. (Accountability is not actually my problem.) Perhaps because I work in a firm obsessed with statistics and charts and spreadsheets and prognostication, I just flat-out refuse to do that stuff in my home life. I have used MapMyRun out of curiosity, to see what the distance is, since I'm more accustomed to going by time spent in classes & on machines than on distance.

Dagmar, you've reminded me that I've got two pomegranates in my fridge that have gotten a bit shriveled. They keep very well so I tend to overkeep them. I really ought to put them in a bowl of water & cut them up tonight. I love the arils but hate the mess & stained fingernails.

Mudpie
01-03-2013, 10:32 AM
saef My DH is a good man with a chef's knife - he worked a couple of summers through university as a short order cook and still retains good knife skills. He is Mr. Pomegranate and Mr. Mango preparer. I haven't the patience to deal with the pom's arils and any mango I try to pit and skin turns into a big puddle of goo.

I can peel and core a pineapple. Ditto avocado but there my skills end. DH shudders whenever he sees me doing anything with the big knife (I'm left-handed and apparently that looks "all wrong" to him).

Dagmar :shrug:

alinnell
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
If you dunk the pomegranate in water in the sink or a bowl and extract the arils that way, you don't stain your fingers. I don't know who told me to watch YouTube to learn how to do that, but it really works. Otherwise, I'd wear disposable gloves that I keep on hand for messy things like rolling meatballs.

I reminded myself yesterday how much I like coffee at work with my Nutrisystem protein powder added to it. It really staved off the hunger yesterday, so I'm repeating today.

I don't know if DD will be home tonight for dinner and if she is, I have no idea what to fix. I suppose we could finish the leftover lasagna, but I don't know if it is enough for five. I have a dentist appointment this afternoon, so I'll check with her before that and if need be, I'll stop at the store. Grilled chicken actually sounds the best to me right now.

krampus
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Yesterday was the first day in WEEKS where I didn't eat candy, though I did eat like 600 calories worth of cocoa dusted almonds - which I probably "needed" fat/protein-wise, as all I ate the rest of the day was salad, more salad, cooked greens, a Fage 2% Greek yogurt and about 3 oz of steak. And an orange before bed, because at the end of the day I can't not eat carbs.

MapMyRun is a pretty neat app, but there's no point since there's no running to be done anywhere but on the hamster wheel until at least March. ;___; I hate living in the Northeast in winter.

BillBlueEyes
01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
"cocoa dusted almonds" are evil. I fell into a can of those once and didn't stop til the can was empty. Ought to be against the law.

I schlepped to the gym bundled to the hilt this morning - to serve time on the stationary bike. At times I quit reading and watched the soundless TV's on the wall with the little signs that say what FM frequency to tune to. But even the ads are better without sound. I make up my own dialog as the TV flashes pictures of serious congressmen walking down some stairs - my dialog couldn't be broadcast under FCC rules, LOL. But it keeps me spinning.

ChrisMohr
01-03-2013, 02:16 PM
Hi all,
back to normal eating! I actually enjoy feeling healthy more than I enjoy the flavor of the candies. Best wishes to you all for a brilliantly maintained 2013.

alinnell
01-03-2013, 02:37 PM
My almonds are plain. Raw and unsalted. And better than I would have imagined. DD, at Thanksgiving, brought a package of pumpkin flavored almonds. It sounded rather disgusting, but the ONE that I ate was quite good! I didn't get a look at the label to see just what was on the almond so I didn't bother eating more.

krampus
01-03-2013, 02:46 PM
The almonds live at my boyfriend's house and I will not be partaking in them again for a day or two. I could definitely house the entire can (11 servings, what a joke).

Probably not unrelated to the almonds, I'm not really hungry, and it's almost 3. After two hard-boiled eggs I feel like I could wait until 4 or 5 to eat my plain Greek yogurt. Maybe I won't even need that Subway sandwich.

CherryPie99
01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
Hi all!

I've having a very down day. I made it through the holidays relatively unscathed. Then on New Year's Eve I allowed myself kind of a farewell to 2012 HUGE piece of Pecan Pie. On New Year's Day, I cooked a chuck roast in the slow cooker and put in some dry onion soup mix which was really salty.

Yesterday the scale was WAY up. So I get home last night and my sister in law had brought us PLATES and PLATES of cookies, brownies, etc. I had only 1 chocolate chip cookie but wanted more and those stupid things taunted me all night! Scale still 5 pounds up today, and I get to work and get a late Xmas gift from a Judge I work with - a tall glass with the courthouse etched in it - FILLED with Hershey's kisses - then I go back to fill up my water and, YOU GUESSED IT - tons of homemade cookies.

I don't know why but I want some SO SO SO bad - they are just calling to me.

Give me some strength, please!!!!

Jen

Megan1982
01-03-2013, 04:05 PM
Jen, human brains are hard-wired to crave salty, fatty foods. And I think there are studies that show that having some makes us want more. (At the very least, I have done a personal study that demonstrates this.) I bought a ham at Easter one year and ate quite a bit over a few days, and my experience sounds similar to yours with the roast. Never again - the crazed sweet/fatty cravings I had are just like those you describe. Which is sad bc I love ham, and in and of itself I don't think its nutritional stats aren't terrible. But a big ham to eat by myself is just too much salt for me.

I would suggest not eating the chuck roast if you have any left, or at least rinsing off the salty sauce before you eat the rest of it. And ignore those cookies! *willpower* Is there any way to get rid of the stuff in your house (will your DH be upset if you chuck it or bring some to a neighbor, etc?) I know it's a bummer to see the scale up, but it will go down. Drink lots of lemon water and tea with lemon and stay away from the salty stuff for a few days.

Be strong!

traveling michele
01-03-2013, 05:13 PM
Stay strong Jen!
I know it's hard-- believe me. Think about the scale going down when you make good choices.

My scale was down 2 pounds today. I wish it could go down 2 pounds a day for about a week-- then I'd be back where I want to be!

I had some deep thought during yoga today. I think one of my issues is that I try to get to a certain weight before X (usually a vacation). BUT, if I don't get there, I still give myself permission to have a lot of off-plan treats or meals on vacation. For example, I was 2 pounds over my red-line when I left for Houston. I should have not had treats there-- but I did. Then I came back 3 pounds up-- no surprise. I'm trying to talk dh into a beach trip in late March. I need to have a goal-- I'm very goal oriented. I'm hoping if we plan the trip, I'll have the impetus to stay strong until the trip.

Not helpful that tomorrow is dd's birthday and I know we are going to our favorite Italian restaurant for dinner. I am weighing Saturday morning so it won't be pretty I'm sure. There will also be birthday cake. I'm not sure if I'll be "allowed" to refuse entirely.

In the meantime, I'm drinking lots of tea and water to flush things out and I've already been to bikram yoga.....

CherryPie99
01-03-2013, 06:51 PM
I would suggest not eating the chuck roast if you have any left, or at least rinsing off the salty sauce before you eat the rest of it. And ignore those cookies! *willpower* Is there any way to get rid of the stuff in your house (will your DH be upset if you chuck it or bring some to a neighbor, etc?) I know it's a bummer to see the scale up, but it will go down. Drink lots of lemon water and tea with lemon and stay away from the salty stuff for a few days.

Be strong!

Thanks! Ironically, I HATE ham and so didn't have any for Xmas. There is no chuck roast left, fortunately. But I agree about the brain craving it. It's crazy with me not even being hungry but wanting it SO BAD.

As far as the cookies, that is a HUGE, HUGE issue for both DH and I. We were both raised to NEVER EVER waste food. So the thought of throwing it out is absolutely unforgivable. BUT, I did get a little smart - I texted DH and told him to put all the sweets in the freezer. Now I still know they are there, but there is no pressure to eat them - because they won't spoil in the freezer AND there is no anxiety about giving food away or throwing it away. I am now not even tempted by them.

Once I get down to ideal weight, if I want a treat, I can have it.

I have been drinking lots and lots of water. Had a big salad for lunch today and we are having fish with veggies and brown rice for dinner. Dessert will be nonfat yogurt. I hope the scale has better news for me tomorrow.

Thanks for understanding and providing strength!

Jen

Mudpie
01-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I was also raised to never waste food or throw it away. Kinda good idea during the depression but sorta useless now. It does provide a good excuse to eat all sorts of things not so good for me so I've learned to throw stuff away. Or if it's unopened I put it in the food bank donation box.

Dagmar :dizzy:

bargoo
01-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I find it very difficult to throw food away, also. I have to give myself permission to do so. It was a red letter day when I threw out half a perfectly good peach pie.

Mudpie
01-04-2013, 05:31 AM
I find it very difficult to throw food away, also. I have to give myself permission to do so. It was a red letter day when I threw out half a perfectly good peach pie.

Yeah. My first time :p I threw out some "after binge" chocolate chip cookies.

And lightning did not strike me. I felt curiously free. :dance:

Dagmar :D

Megan1982
01-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Morning all,

I had a mini hangry/emo meltdown last night and ate a protein bar, a glass of milk, 4 Hershey's miniatures, and a piece of toast in quick succession immediately after my allotted dinner of 4 oz of pork loin and saurkraut leftover from New Years. Speaking of salty things... I was still hungry after dinner and rather than wait 15 minutes, I got in that "darn trying to restrict calories, I'm hungry!" mode. I might have been hungry but I was also in a bad mood, too. Put me at 2100 cals for the day. I will move forward today and try to do better.

I was in a bad mood bc I'd taken the dog on a long walk on the beach. No one was out so I let her off her leash. She's been doing pretty well about staying on the beach when I do this. Not yesterday. She ran up steps to an (occupied) house, sniffed around their house and out the driveway on the other side to the street. She was running through people's yards and through the street, blatantly ignoring me, finally ran on someone's porch and ate their cat food. I cornered her there but felt bad we startled the inhabitants of the house and was thanking my stars that there were not a lot of people driving on the street, especially since it was almost dark. She has been so much better in the last year and I rarely have these frustrating walks with her anymore, but last night was a doozy. I think I was also upset that my exercise that is supposed to cheer me up ended up putting me in such a bad mood.

I was raised not to waste food also. I think it was Meg who once said something to the effect of "there is no difference than an actual garbage can and your body when you treat it like one, except the calories will go to your waist". She said it much more eloquently, but hopefully you get the idea. I found it an excellent point.

Jen, are you hanging in there? I hope today is better. :hug:

Michele, that very problem has brought me to my weight today rather than my "maintenance weight" of 135-140. I would be over my red line and still allow treats at "special" events, and the weight crept up over a few years. If I could flip a switch to make myself stop I would do it in an instant. Clearly I haven't solved this one, but I can relate.

Tonight is guitar night and dinner at my friend's. Tomorrow I hope to go hiking with some friends and our dogs if the weather allows. Sunday I've got a baby shower to attend. What are everyone else's plans for the weekend? Have a good Friday all!

ChrisMohr
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM
Good luck Jen and Megan and all of us!! I too am in heavy craving mode. It is indeed hard-wired for all of us. I slipped a bit last night but otherwise have had an OK time adjusting to a drastically reduced post-holiday sugar intake. At first it even leaves me in a kind of physiological depression, which is part of the difficulty of pulling out of it.

For me, chocolate chip cookies etc in my house are simply verboten. I can't handle them in my space. My wife Karen, who is a 30-year maintainer (I am jealous), is the same way. I'm lucky that my partner agrees with me and doesn't fill the house with temptation.

As for willpower, I think it's underrated. As I go through the shift back to healthy eating (after only 11 days of holiday excess; on December 21 I was still in my ideal weight range!!), I do have to just use willpower for a few days. It gets easier after 3-5 days but last night's little setback just increases the time I have to spend actively at war with my cravings. Oh well. No easy way back to good eating I'm afraid. I'm getting there tho, and am glad that we're all in this together!

paperclippy
01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
Jen, sounds like you did a great job during the holidays! When DH and I receive a bunch of junk food like that we usually take it in to work to get rid of it. I bring the extra cookies/whatever to my office and put them in the break room that I don't generally go to, so I don't have to see them. If there's something super tempting in my usual break room, I go to a different one to fill up my water bottle.

Megan, sorry about the rough walk. :hug: Today is a new day!

I had a scary scale moment this morning. I know I'm supposed to be gaining weight, and I'm relatively on track for what my doctor wants, but seeing 150 on the scale this morning still freaked me out. I'm feeling kind of nervous about the idea that by the end of this pregnancy I'll be back near my high weight again and even though I know pregnancy weight is different, it still feels like I'm undoing all the hard work I did or like I'm going to have to do it all over again. Chicks who have been through pregnancy while maintaining, how did you handle it?

Relatedly, I'm seeing all the effects of being heavy too. Walking up the stairs at home leaves me out of breath. I get tired really easily. Even getting up and down is difficult, and that's only partially because my belly is in the way. I really need to get to the prenatal yoga class I've been thinking about this weekend because I ought to get more exercise than just 15-min dog walks (although admittedly a 15-min dog walk in 2 feet of unbroken snow is fairly difficult).

bargoo
01-04-2013, 09:25 AM
Is this confession time today ? OK I am guilty. Had to have lab work yesterday, no big deal but right next to the lab is an IHOP, I fell to its lure and went over and had a short stack, 470 calories not including butter and syrup. This was mid morning so I figured I could work the calories into my day and there would be no harm. There would have been no harm if I had stopped there, got home and felt an overpowering urge to have popcorn and I did, the day just snowballed from there. My scale showed the results this morning.Why do I sabotage myself ? Why ?( No answer required here).

alinnell
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Here's the secret to throwing away food: leave it in the fridge (or in the pantry) but don't eat it. Wait until it starts growing mold--then you have to throw it out because it's bad! I actually am able (with some foods) to allow it to go bad so I don't feel as wasteful when I throw it out. I wonder what my housekeeper thinks, though!

CherryPie99
01-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi all,

Thanks for asking, Megan! Feeling a little better today. I ran 6 miles on the treadmill last night and weighed in this morning at 120.1 - 120 is my "no-no" line - I want to be 115-119, so I'm getting there.

I know what you are saying about the body not being a garbage can, but I only get this intellectually - emotionally, the thought of throwing away food - absolutely not under any circumstances. And giving it away? No - those are MINE.

I ran across the frozen goodies last night while getting out tonights dinner. This sounds so crazy but it made me feel....safe?.... knowing they were there, but I didn't have to eat one.

Why is this such a mental game???

Jen

P.S. Sorry about the bad walk - my dogs are generally VERY good off-leash but then once and a while they get a bug up their butt and all their training seems to go out the window!!!

BillBlueEyes
01-04-2013, 10:28 AM
That's one bad dog walk, Megan. Glad you cornered him before damage could happen.

I'm continuing to be consistent going to the gym to do my stationary bike ride as well as doing my physical therapy exercises to recover from six weeks in a cast. It amuses me that the bone is well healed, but it's the muscles that need recovery from being constrained.

I have never in my life thrown away a piece of pie, cake, or cookies. Don't think I could now. Those were all precious when I was growing up and wasting them was unthinkable. You'd think that I would recognize that I live in a different world and act accordingly. Perhaps it'll happen.

saef
01-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Throw out food?

This is the kind of family in which I grew up: During my mother's recent Christmas-time visit, she stopped short at the sight of the box of tissues in my kitchen. "Why did you get that kind?" she demanded accusingly. It's because the tissues were packaged in the small, cute, upright, cube-like box, which takes up less space, rather than the long, rectangular box, which contains more tissues and generally costs less per tissue than the smaller box. So my mother was calling me out on the unsoundness of my investment decision in facial tissues.

With that kind of programming in me -- the untold story is how I hesitated in the grocery store aisle before going for the two-for-one Proctor & Gamble tissue deal, and even had trouble buying the brand name over the generic -- do you think I'm capable of throwing out "perfectly good" food? No. It has to be fed to someone else, at the very least.

alinnell
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Regarding the generic vs name brand issue: t here are some items on which I will not skimp. Others I can't tell the difference so I don't care--I'll choose the cheapest. But facial tissue? That is one item I refuse to budge on. Why buy a generic, often single ply, tissue that blows apart on one blow so you have to use two? The el cheapo ones you get at most hotels are good examples. Nope. Give me Kleenex any day--and preferably their 3-ply kind!

But canned tomatoes? Any kind will do, and if one is on a really good sale, why not stock up?

My MIL apparently has no qualms about throwing out perfectly good food. I remember one time we were staying with them and they had a bunch of people over for a BBQ. There were two leftover baked potatoes. I had one for lunch the next day and was planning on the other one for lunch the next day. Nope. She threw it out because it was TWO DAYS OLD. Total nonsense if you ask me. It was wrapped and in the fridge and would have kept for several more days.

But as we sit and type I think about the carrot cake sitting in my fridge. I didn't like it--only ate part of my serving the other night, so I know I won't be eating any more of it, but I don't know if I can throw it out. What if DH or DS wants it? But then MIL is going to be staying at my place while DH and I are on our cruise and I shudder to think what she'll think if it is still in the fridge TWELVE days after it was originally served!

bargoo
01-04-2013, 11:22 AM
Allison, I prefer Puffs to Kleenex although I will buy Kleenex on occasion. I have had to learn to throw out food and it was not an easy decision, I have other areas that are even more difficult, I have socks in my drawer that I will never, ever wear again but I just can't throw them out or give them away .I think Becky talked of getting rid of her wedding dress. I still have mine even though I am divorced, I would never consider getrting rid of it.I have books I did not like and will not be reading , can't get rid of them either.

Shannon in ATL
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
I came home from the holidays with half of a peppermint layer cake, half of a chocolate chip pound cake and somewhere in the range of 15 lbs of candy. I was able to throw away the cakes, the candy is still in a bag in my dining room. I'm trying to decide if I have the willpower to keep it and eat it a little bit at a time or if I need to bring it to work and donate it to the guys who work downstairs.

It is HARD for me to throw away food, too.

I'm indifferent on tissue brands as long as they are the ones with lotion for blowing my nose or the ones without lotion if my eyes are watery or for other needs. A different kind of picky I guess. ;)

I am also somewhat of a packrat - like Bargoo I never get rid of socks. I did get rid of my wedding dress after I was divorced, though. I donated it to a women's shelter that sells them at low rates to women who couldn't otherwise afford a nice dress and then uses the money to feed back into their shelter maintenance.

I need to get back on track this year, as well. Need to get back to exercise. We've had a lot of sickness in the family the last couple of weeks - DH was sick from Christmas Day to Monday, still kind of stuffy and not quite 100%. DSS started throwing up on Wednesday. I've got some kind of sinus infection going on that started to hit me hard on New Years Day, so I skipped my resolution race. I ended up missing work yesterday. My entire head feels like it has been filled with water and frozen from the neck up. My ears feel full and crackly, my cheeks and nose actually hurt to the touch and my face feels numb. Nose has been bleeding for days. I exercised on Monday and it felt great, but haven't gotten back to it since then. I did some yoga on Wednesday, some inversions helped the sinuses feel better for short term. Back at work today, still feeling kind of under the weather. Had a meeting this morning that started an hour late and left me sitting in a crowded waiting area until it got going. Which meant that I was irritable when I got finished so ended up with a biscuit and a hash brown for breakfast instead of the healthy oatmeal I was going for... Not doing a great job on getting back on track.

bargoo
01-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Shannon, I have nose bleeds , too. Doctor's advice, saline spray, cheap OTC and it works, for me , at least.

alinnell
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
I'm so hoping I don't come down with a cold or flu before my trip!!! So far, no one in the family has gotten sick, except MIL who had bronchitis in November but many of our guys here at work have had the flu.

We routinely go through our closets and donate old clothes and although I do have a plethora of socks that are rarely worn, I tend to hang onto them "just in case."

But on the subject of books, we are getting rid of almost all of them! My nightstand was covered in books that I didn't feel like reading. I had two overflowing boxes in my closet that I couldn't decide what to do with although I was leaning toward a garage sale. Well, DD fixed the situation for me. She decided to finish cleaning out her closet which meant going through all her books. She decided to list them on Amazon. So I directed her to my stacks and she listed those, too. She'll do the same with DS's and DH's next time she visits. She stuffed her trunk with the books to take back to Fullerton last night. And I know she's already sold a few. If she can't sell them, she'll donate them to a library.

ChrisMohr
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
OK so last night a friend's birthday party in the middle of my craving times. Two pieces of birthrday cake and a generous potluck. No success there. But Karen and I looked at our calendars. The next public eating event is in a week; her Dad's 84th birthday. So today I find the willpower to begin four days with no processed sugar, no dark chocolates, etc. Just clean up a bit, lose those holiday (and now post-holiday) pounds and back to maintaining my ideal weight. So it's my turn to ask for strength.

And anyone who has the willpower to let tempting food grow moldy in the fridge has more mental toughness than me!!!

alinnell
01-05-2013, 10:19 AM
I threw out the remaining tuna salad that has sat too long in the fridge for me to feel safe eating it. No mold, but it was getting pretty old. DS and DH had carrot cake (DS ate two pieces). I got one small taste from DH's and it reinforced the fact that I don't like this particular recipe.

All that is left in the fridge in the way of leftovers are some refried beans and carne asada and that will be our lunch today before golf.

Weight is now 1.7 above pre-holiday (which was in November--I stopped trying to lose around Thanksgiving).

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Felt good to be out of the holiday whirlwind! The first week of January was a horrid spiral of TOM, thankfully now in the rearview mirror. I could almost say that today feels like the kickoff to a new year instead! My fridge is clean, there's a few lonely stale cookies around that don't appeal, and I announced to the family today that I was back in the loss mode again. I put on 4# and need to get back to logging and counting again, pronto.

Meanwhile, the guys are still working on the siding. The house is almost fully clad. They're doing finer points on the trim and details around the electrical boxes, and beginning work on the porch. There was a goof with the material for the soffits, so the upper parts can't be done for a while, and they won't do the work around the clerestory windows until the snow melts off the roof. Slow but steady.

Good luck to all that are dodging the sickness bullets or recovering!

traveling michele
01-05-2013, 11:38 AM
Dd's birthday was yesterday (she turned 22-- how did that happen!?).
I ate out THREE meals with her! I totally stuck to healthy choices at breakfast and lunch (though I'm sure the sodium was still high).
I knew dinner would be the challenge-- we were going to our favorite Italian restaurant but I was planning on weighing in this morning at Weight Watchers. My friend that I meet texted me that she was sick and couldn't meet-- so of course that gave me permission to go off plan! I made a fairly good choice-- there really are no good choices there-- and allowed myself a "tiny" piece of birthday cake. Coupled with Bikram Yoga yesterday and the scale was "only" up a pound today. Still 8 pounds higher than I want, but most of the special occasions should be behind me now.

Probably going to lunch today with dd to PF Changs but I have a healthy option there that I love (though still high sodium I'm sure).

I'll be glad to get back to work Monday if only to get back to normal eating.

Dh turns 50 on Feb. 3 (SUPER BOWL) so he doesn't want to do anything but watch the game that day. I had pinned him down for another available date and booked a great hotel and restaurant in the Napa area. He realized yesterday that he can't make the date (he'll be traveling out of the country). I was pretty mad as it looks like we can't come up with another day. Not sure what I'll do for him now. We did book a cruise for late March so we may just celebrate then.

bargoo
01-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Looking for soup suggestions, I have chicken stock, carrots and onions, what can I add beside celery to add more vegies and make a good soup ?

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
mushrooms! Always, always, always a place for mushrooms. I am a mushroom fanatic ... is it showing? ;) I also like a can of diced tomatoes, if the real thing is out of season, and baby peas are great too.

bargoo
01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Becky, I'm with you ,there is no such thing as too many mushrooms.

Megan1982
01-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Bargoo, they add a few more calories but I love to add beans or lentils to soups to add lots of fiber, protein, and nutrients, and make the soup more filling. How about also adding some kale, collards, or other greens at the end of cooking? Spinach might complement mushrooms nicely. Greens wilt nicely and provide lots of good nutrients for few calories, too.

Just got back from walking the dog with a friend and her boyfriend's dog on some local hiking trails. We went somewhere between 4-5 miles. It was a nice day, a nice change of scenery as the same walking routes get rather boring, and nice to have someone to chat with too. I'm still several pounds up. I actually gained this weight during our vacation in early December and it stuck around for Christmas. I've been eating pretty well (small portions of healthy foods) on my own, it's the social occasions that still hold temptation, as usual. I'm feeling more on track though. These vacation lbs will be leaving before February.

Michele, 1# doesn't sound like too much damage, especially with 3 meals out! BF and I also usually celebrate our birthdays on different days due to work schedules and they are during both of our busiest seasons with work. It's tough to schedule, but it's a celebration after all! Hope you and DH can find a nice day to celebrate his day.

Becky, glad the house is coming along and you're on track. Sounds like you feel good about it. ;)

Chris, I'm with you. If there's tempting food in my house, I can't resist. My best method is to keep it from entering the house, period. I'm sure you can do 4 days of clean eating without problem! GL!

I hope everyone is having a nice Saturday.

bargoo
01-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Megan, I have a package of lentils, I think I will use those and something green. Pioneer women just used what they had available and didn't worry about it.

Shannon in ATL
01-05-2013, 09:33 PM
Late to the soup discussion, but I've discovered I love spinach in soup or stew. And onion. And fresh garlic. And and.... Hope it turned out well. :)

Shannon in ATL
01-05-2013, 09:34 PM
Okay, another soup/stew question. Has anyone done a sweet potato and butternut squash? There are recipes all over and I want to try one.

alinnell
01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
I've made butternut risotto, but I've seen several butternut soup recipes that sound divine! Can't say that I've seen any with sweet potatoes though.

ICUwishing
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I've tried to sell butternut squash around here a couple of times (at home, I mean), but the guyzos are diehard butterCUP fanatics. Apparently, in the winter squash, there is only one. :lol:

bargoo
01-06-2013, 07:16 AM
I BUY Butternut Squash soup at my Safeway Deli. It is delicious, haven't tried making it myself.

CherryPie99
01-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I just had butternut squash last night! I cut it into chunks, mix with salt, pepper, cinnamon, nutmeg and some sugar free maple syrup (20 calories for 1/4 cup). Place in a glass casserole dish and baked at 400 for about 40 minutes. It was delish!

ChrisMohr
01-06-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your support Megan. Yes, day one was perfect for my quasi-cleanse. Three more days to go. Day two is traditionally the hardest. Will report again tomorrow.

My brother in law makes a great butternut squash soup, but I just found out that the secret ingredient that makes it taste so incredible is... sour cream!

bargoo
01-06-2013, 09:34 AM
I bake butternut squash and I like it, don't add anything to it except a little butter, but I still love that butternut squash soup and am going to tackle making it myself one day.
Happy to say the results of my recent binge have departed I am back to 118.4.

Mudpie
01-06-2013, 10:35 AM
I paged through "For the Love of Soup" at my dog sit and bought both it and the companion "For the Love of Salad" this morning. DH apparently is quite amenable to doing all the chopping required for both and is willing to have soup/salad/bread dinners at any time. :D

EZMONEY
01-06-2013, 01:34 PM
We have butternut squash a couple of times a month. If you have a Fresh And Easy near you try their butternut squash rissoto.....killer!

saef
01-06-2013, 04:36 PM
I have a slightly different way of cooking butternut squash. I cut it into chunks. Then I sautee some garlic in a little olive oil, just enough to get flavor in it. I toss the butternut squash with this oil, and also several tablespoons full of parmesan cheese and just about a tablespoon of flour. You can also toss it through a little fresh parsley, if you want. I put this uncovered in a casserole dish & roast it at high temperature for what always seems like quite a while, till I can see it browning. I don't know what it is, but that parmesan cheese really makes it. If you want to make it really decadent, top it with some pecans, too.

I also make a soup from Mollie Katzen with chunks of butternut squash or sweet potato in it. It's called gypsy soup and there are lots of recipes for it online. Here's the one that I use:

http://www.food.com/recipe/gypsy-soup-46750

Shannon in ATL
01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
I missed the end of the butternut squash discussion somehow and just saw it today. Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try saef's and Jen's! I like delicata squash cooked with spices and cinnamon, but never had butternut.