Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

Default So I guess I have depression too...

I went into a treatment program for an eating disorder, and now the therapists think I also have depression. Ugh, two issues to deal with.

It's strange because, even though depression runs in my family, I never really thought I might have it. I guess I thought it meant that you were constantly sad. I am rarely sad and don't cry much. But apparently, it isn't necessarily about sadness, but about being in a constant state of feeling "down" and never having any "up" moments.

I just thought I was an unemotional person. I struggle when have to think of times when I have strong emotions, either positive or negative. I also can't remember the last time I actually felt really happy or excited about something. It's just like a never-ending state of just existing - not necessarily sad, but more of a hopelessness that I will ever feel happy.

Is this what depression is like for some of you?
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 265/237/170

Height: 5.75

and yet you've still managed to lose all that weight ...I'm going to be like you...Um...i can't really describe my depression. When it passes, I try not to summon whatever it is out of its box..lol. But I think, yes. I am lethargic and exhausted all the time. No feeling, just an endless void. Its pretty suck.
beachbella85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #3  

Hey Kitty,
That does sound like my depression... And what depression is all about (I've studied psychology and have been involved in mental health organisations for many years now). It definitely doesn't have to be the stereotypical "crying all the time" depression. For many people it's just a general feeling of "nothing". Depression is so different for everyone!
I hope you can find some support to help you feel a bit better. It's great that your therapists picked up on it. I hope they can provide you with some resources to help.
Keep your chin up.
angelvsdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:29 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/165/120

Height: 5'2"

Congrats on your weight loss. And you're going to kick your eating disorder and depression in the butt.

As for me, I have the uttermost inability to describe how I actually feel. I see a mental health provider and I always leave the office in tears and shaking. I cannot stand confrontation about my depression. My provider will say something like "tell me about you have been feeling" and I'll give short, polite, indescriptive answers. Then the provider will tell me I look sad. Then I lose it and cry in the office. Every single week. And there is no reason for the way I feel - I guess that's what makes me upset.
So I guess I am strange... I feel nothing at all during the week. I live life on autopilot. During appts, I end up crying because I can't express how I feel.

I also have a habbit of saying I will do something fun and social (like see a movie with friends or go to a concert or something) but, when the day comes, I don't want to do it so bad that I end up crying all morning.
Tillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/148.8/129

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations on your outstanding weight loss. =)

Mental health, in general, is a tricky business. What is causing what? If you treat A, will it cure B? How "bad" are you really? How can you tell? How can anyone? It all feels so fluid to me. I was told that I had fairly strong Depression over a year ago. I haven't been checked since then but my doctor gave me a test and then asked me what I thought. I told him I might have it slightly or not at all. Really, I was considered worse than that. He said I've just had it so long that I'm used to it. I've learned to "function" with it so I'm not surprised that you'd receive a diagnosis you weren't expecting. It's not always as obviously disruptive as you might think it would be.

@Tillie - I have had similar experiences. I think I break down like I do because it means someone has noticed that I'm actually in pain. Someone spoke up when I was silent for so long.
Doomkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

That sounds just like me! I know I used to be very depressed a while back. But from what you are describing, it seems like it still might be an ongoing problem for me. I guess thats why I eat all this sugar. It helps... kinda..
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote