Carb Counters - Wheat Belly-January

View Full Version : Wheat Belly-January

maryshady
12-29-2012, 09:32 AM
Nora-figured I would start the thread for us. Hopefully we will gain a few others too! Anyway thought I would tell u about myself. I am a married (25 years) mom of three. I will be 47 on January. 1 son (29), dd (22) , dd (almost 21). All of my kids are grown and out on their own. My youngest is a junior in college. My oldest is married with 1 daughter & one on the way. :)

Been struggling with my weight most of my life. This is the least amount I have weighed in years. I did hcg two years ago and have maintained pretty well. Am up about 7 lbs from my lowest. Had lost a total of 25 doing that. But it was really hard and can't imagine doing another round of that. yuck!!! Really want a way of life now. kwim?

Anyway real excited for this to be the last thing I need to do to maintain a healthy weight and feel great again.

How long have you been doing it? Have you seen any weight loss yet?

Cinders35
12-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Hello Ladies! I just googled wheat belly in search of recipes and found this! I just started today! So one meal in but excited to be starting and even more excited there's a group! I have been on similar programs and found success but ultimately gained my weight back and then some as of recently. My friend is also starting but she's waiting until after New Years, I wanted to start right away as I feel I won't be tempted New Year's Eve.

The parts that I love is the cheese! And of course being allowed red wine and dark chocolate doesn't hurt either!

Can't wait to hear about your success on this!

Nora52
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Great idea. I have lost 30 pounds this year.. I only started Wheat Belly in Sept and have lost 15 pounds since then although was starting to eat low carb before that as hubbie started his weight loss journey 2 years ago with low carb and weight training. He has lost 90 pounds. I have a knee injury which prevents me exercising and I take cortisone - so ANY weight loss for me is a miracle !

I have done Atkins in the past - the old 1972 Atkins - and lost heaps of weight but gained it all back again. This time Wheat Belly feels different. You just feel so well on it , that you never feel like cheating. And there is so much variety that you never feel "oh no not meat again LOL"

Since being on WB - my knee pain has almost vanished ! I am now walking a little each day and no longer need my walking stick in the mornings to get out of bed. My weight loss is slow. Only a pound or so a week. During one month I plateaued and then found it was the slice of carrot cake I was eating. Carrots and dried fruit is too carby. As soon as I went back to normal WB food - the weight loss started again.

I have a few links saved but I am not sure what we can post here. Gourmet Girl Cooks has a Blog where she puts her meals online... which can help be a guide. She has lost 52 pounds and deliberately stopped exercising to see if WB worked.. Over time people simply eat a lot less food as the hunger is no longer there. I have Insulin Resistance and even the tablets were not helping. Now I hope to get off them one day :-) I have at least another 30 pounds to go. I did not lose any weight over Christmas. I had one small meal of Tiramisu ( with sugar) and have suffered brain fog ,hunger, pain and fatigue ever since. Yesterday I felt back to normal and today the scales said so too ! I now have a WB Tiramisu to try instead!

maryshady
01-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Morning all!! Today is start day for me. Very excited. have hubby talked into doing it with me for at least 3 weeks. Will see how that goes. He is addicted to candy and coke. Bought plenty of veggies, avocados, & nuts to get started. Threw away all the cookies and crap from the holidays. Back to work today too so that should help me stay on track.

Cinders-Welcome to the group!!! How are you doing so far?

Froggy-awesome job so far. The 25 lb weight loss is incredible but I think the ability to lose one meds is even a bigger victory. Here's hoping you continue to reduce your insulin. I plan on having no wheat replacements for a solid month. I told dh that I would make him a few treats during his 3 week trial. Hoping he will feel so good and have lost some weight that he will want to continue on with me. Looking forward to hearing which recipes you like. I haven't bought the cookbook yet. Let me know if it's worth it.

Nora-When I did Atkins I felt crappy too. Hoping to feel full of energy and wellness this time around. Great weight loss so far. Your husband's doing phenomenal too! Thanks for the tip on gourmet girl. Will check out her blog too. If your on facebook, there is a page called wheat belly recipe central, that has a lot of great recipes too. I plan on going simple this first week & then getting creative with the recipes.

Have a great day!! :)

Cinders35
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
Hello maryshady

Today is day 5 and I feel awesome! Today was severe dry mouth which is a good sign and I don't feel deprived in any way! Even on New Years I was able to keep it wheat free and tried the cheesecake recipe in the book. Instead of making it as a cake I made mini ones in cupcake cups and froze them in case I need something sweet!

I am already down some weight too and given my TOM is due in 2 days I was happy to see a smaller number.

How is day one going?

Sparkygrrl
01-02-2013, 10:43 PM
Hi,

I have lost 18 pounds since staring WB about five months ago. It is really amazing for me since I've been trying for a couple of years and was eating healthy or what I thought was healthy and the scale didn't budge. I read WB and decided to try it for my headaches and to see if it would help with weightloss. I was very excited that it helped with both and finally starting to feel like the old me as I was under 120 lbs before I had kids. unfortunately I've gained back about 6 lbs over Xmas, not by eating wheat but lots of chocolate and salty snacks. I'm back on track now and hoping the weight will come off quickly. I keep my eating fairly simple. I don't bake very much at all but do have some GF pizza dough mix I bought from a bulk store. I do use oatmeal but I may try cutting it out as I have had some bloating recently which I haven't had in awhile. Does anyone know if it's true that buckwheat is ok? It would be nice to occasionally have pancakes with the kids.

Nora52
01-03-2013, 05:18 AM
Hi Sparky, Glad to hear you are back on track after Christmas. So am I. Today I felt the best for about a week after cutting back on sugars again. I added some coconut oil to my afternoon coffee - whipped it up - and it did really help satisfy.

In answer to your question about buckwheat... is it carby ? We are supposed to stay <15grams per meal ( to lose weight ) so it may push you to the limits there.Once in a while may be OK - my hubbie did it very slowly with occasional pasta etc - but then you may feel really fatigued for a week ?

Have you tried the almond flour/ coconut flour type pancakes ? I have not yet but plan to try them as a waffle soon. Onwards we go! I have at least another 15kg to lose ... but feel so well when on the WB that this time I think I will make it. I am already sorting out my old "big" clothes for the op shop! I am NEVER going back !

Nora52
01-03-2013, 05:22 AM
Hi Mary, I checked out the FaceBook page. Awesome ! If I feel hungry I will try some of those recipes. So far... no hunger so I am not fussed about any food. It is amazing ! I want to try the pizza and foccacia recipes soon.. Will let you know how they go.

maryshady
01-03-2013, 07:54 AM
good morning ladies!!! Yesterday went great. I am pretty used to eating this way as part of the hcg diet. The phase 3 is mostly wheat belly with more fruit but you are suppose to slowly add in carbs to see what you can tolerate. The problem with that for me is I slowly go back to my old way of eating. Of course over the holidays I pretty much ate what I wanted and had a 3 lbs weight gain but i was down almost 1 lb this morning so happy with that. I weigh everyday, again due to hcg. Just am in the habit of it now & don't want to stop.

My dh did really well too. :) Hoping he stays the course. He could lose about 15 lbs but after reading the book and realizing how bad coke is for you I hope this helps him at least kick that habit.

Sparky-Awesome job on the weight loss. I would love to lose 20 lbs altogether. I found you a pancake recipe:
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon Cinnamon
1 tablespoon Truvia
1 tablespoon water
1 large egg
blueberries
Once I fogot the steiva so I topped it with peaches. top with peaches. Anything you do with pancakes. Dolores also makes it with cacao powder and cacao nibs.
Mix together the ground flaxseeds, baking powder, cinnamon, Truvia in a small bowl. Stir in the 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Beat in the egg and 1 tablespoon water until blended.
Grease a microwave-safe glass or plastic pie pan with coconut oil. Pour in the batter and spread evenly over the bottom. Microwave on high for 2 to 3 minutes until cooked. Let cool for 5 minutes. OR cook it in a pan like a pancake.
HTH!!

Cinders-Glad to hear you are doing so well!!!! I think I will make the cheesecake recipe and do the same thing. I'm pretty sure the dry mouth means you are in ketosis which is awesome for losing weight.

Nora-I bought coconut oil about a month ago but not sure how to use it. What did you do to put it in your coffee? I love that page for recipes but I wish there was a way to organize them for easy access. I visited the gourmet girl site...wow!!! It is incredible. Will def be trying some of those recipes

Have a great day!!! :)

Cinders35
01-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Hey maryshady

My recommendation is to alter a bit of the recipe. I would remove the cinnamon from the crust and maybe top with a couple of blueberries. I didn't find the cinnamon compliment the lemon in the recipe very well but that's just me I would remove either one or the other.

Feeling awesome down another pound since yesterday! I feel like, right now, it's easy to follow and sustainable. Tomorrow will be a challenge as I am on the road for work for the day so I'm going to pack with me some nuts, veggies and cheese so that I'm not tempted to cheat.

It's so nice to have other people to talk to about this! Thank you for your encouragement!

Cheers everyone!

maryshady
01-03-2013, 08:46 PM
cinders-thanks for the tip on the recipe. Promised dh I would make him pancakes on the weekend. So let you know how we like them
Great job on losing another 1lb!!1

Sparkygrrl
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
For the pancake recipe, I will try it. I'm always looking for new breakie recipes. I usually make a smoothie on work mornings and eggs on the weekend and oatmeal sometimes too. I tried an overnight oatmeal and Greek yogurt with fruit recipe that I liked if anyone wants it. I have tried baking with coconut flour but the texture didn't turn out. I'm curious Nora about what you do with coconut oil to put in your coffee? I use mine in my smoothie but I have a big tub that's not going down veryfast and I know it's supposed to be very healthy,

Nora52
01-04-2013, 02:24 AM
Congrats on the good start Mary! I did not gain over the holidays but stopped losing... which is a shame as it is so exciting to lose those little mini pounds EVERY day ! I looked at the hcg diet at one stage but it looked a bit 'medical' for me. I was scared off by the med side effects and warnings ! Even my Dr was pushing for it ( she did it herself) but in the end I was glad as I had no ER gyno problems and my Dr gained all her weight back anyway when she stopped. Your hubbie definately needs to read the book WB. The cardio risk is so great when the wrong foods are eaten...

Cinders, Is that dry mouth dehydration and toxins ? If so - detox , detox, detox !

I am loving the coconut oil. I put a tablespoon in my hot coffee and give it a little whisk and it soon melts. It makes the milk extra creamy and the awesome thing is that it stops the hunger for ages and ages! Some WBers I was reading about seem to have a morning coffee with about 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, a bit of organic butter and last all day until dinner. Lots of energy - no hunger... I can feel it already and I am only on a small dose of CO. I am definately a CO convert now ! It even makes your lips all glossy and moisturised at the same time LOL

Hope everyone enjoys WB. I know I have tried so many diets and they always are too hard or too unsustainable. I have done so many and often for ages at a time. But always fell off the wagon.. which was when wheat was reintroduced or too many carbs and sugar added. I am super sensitive to even fruit. This WOE seems too easy. :)

Nora52
01-04-2013, 02:33 AM
Watch that oatmeal Sparky. It is not WB friendly. It will spike your Blood Sugar, cause inflammation, small LDL probs etc etc I have seen the experiment someone did ! Wow - you should have seen the BS rise! Worse than a Snickers Bar ( as did whole wheat)

Smoothies are great but make sure the carbs are <15g per serve . If you are a smoothie girl then you will have to play around with vegetables ( not carrots) and the smallest amount of berry fruit.

Coconut baking is harder. It needs a lot of moisture. A mix of almond flour/ coconut flour seems to work. More almond flour than coconut. Or Flax ground.. The WB Cookbook sounds very good.. It has all been tested to work.. There is a very good wrap recipe I keep meaning to try but I just don't have the craving for it now.

Sounds like you are still not there yet though...to be craving the old foods. Do you like bacon ? Eggs ? Can you do that for breakfast... Try the CO... it really packs a punch! Yum... I could just have just a CO coffee for breakfast these days. We don't need all that food every few hours when we WB !

For the pancake recipe, I will try it. I'm always looking for new breakie recipes. I usually make a smoothie on work mornings and eggs on the weekend and oatmeal sometimes too. I tried an overnight oatmeal and Greek yogurt with fruit recipe that I liked if anyone wants it. I have tried baking with coconut flour but the texture didn't turn out. I'm curious Nora about what you do with coconut oil to put in your coffee? I use mine in my smoothie but I have a big tub that's not going down veryfast and I know it's supposed to be very healthy,

Cinders35
01-05-2013, 01:19 PM
It's definitely not dehydration as I drink a lot of water a minimum of ten or twelve glasses a day. And the dry mouth seems to be alternating days. Yesterday was dry mouth all day and this morning not as much.

It's officially been one week today and I feel great. I'm not stepping on the scale today as I have my TOM so want to give it a day or two before I know my week 1 loss. But what I am excited about is that I haven't had one thing that isn't on the list of allowed foods and no desire to. Focused and ready for week 2!!!

Cemommster
01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi ladies. I am going to join in, if you don't mind. I am allergic to wheat, so I am basically gluten free.

Cinders35
01-05-2013, 01:53 PM
Welcome cemommster!!!

maryshady
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Still doing good. I am still eating an apple a day and some berries. Is that too much fruit? Was down another.4 lbs this morning. But i am really hungry today. Made pancakes for breakfast (not the ones in the recipe above) they were ucky but I ate them anyway. Going at to dinner tonite but already know what I am ordering. Salad w/ranch dressing, filet mignon & creamed spinach. I would like to have one drink any suggestions?

Nora-will try to CO in my coffee tomorrow morning. think I'll start with a tsp as I have read it gives some gastro distress if not eased into the diet. Did you have that problem? You also mentioned something about carrots. Are there veggies we are suppose to avoid?

Cinders-I have noticed that my throat is really dry and sore when I wake up at night. Ok during the day but dh said his mouth feels dry. I also try to drink between 60-80 oz of water per day. Congrats on finishing your 1st week. Can't wait to hear your results. I measured this morning too. i will check again in a month on those measurements to see how well I did.

Sparkygirl- :wave:

Have a great Saturday!!

maryshady
01-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Hi ladies. I am going to join in, if you don't mind. I am allergic to wheat, so I am basically gluten free.

Glad to have you with us!!!

Sparkygrrl
01-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Hi all,

Nora I tried the coconut oil in my coffee and it wasn't for me, as too oily. I really wanted to love it. I'm glad it works well for you. I should go back to having my one tbsp a day straight up. Thanks for letting me know about the oatmeal. I think I will have to reread the book, I didn't remember the part about keeping carbs to under the fifteen grams per day. I may just buy the new cookbook as some of the reviews on amazon were that the first part of the book was a review. Mary, sorry the pancakes didn't turn out. Recipes are often disappointing I find. I do have a recipe for quinoa quiches that you make in muffin cups which are a great snack. I often use lettuce as wraps for tuna or salmon salad and also those rice wrappers are good. I find I need to change it up often so I don't get bored. Welcome to cemmonster!

kaplods
01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Hi all,

Nora I tried the coconut oil in my coffee and it wasn't for me, as too oily. I really wanted to love it. I'm glad it works well for you. I should go back to having my one tbsp a day straight up.

Straight up doesn't sound any more palatable than in coffee (sounds even worse to me).

You don't have to eat coconut oil straight up to get it's benefits. You can use the coconut in place of butter and oil in recipes and sauteeing, or you can eat whole coconut foods that naturally contain coconut oil.

Foods that naturally contain the coconut oil are fresh or dried unsweetened coconut, unsweetened coconut milk (not the light, it sometimes has almost none of the good coconut oil and even added sugar), and coconut butter or coconut manna (they're the same thing - made from ground coconut just like peanut butter is made from ground peanuts).

If you're going to eat a straight tablespoon of something, coconut butter is a better choice. Not only does it tastes better and have a better texture, it also has a bit of protein and fiber, and the oil is in a much less processed, more natural state.

That's true of coconut (fresh or dried, unsweetened), coconut milk, and coconut butter (manna). The coconut oil is the main source of calories in all three, and it's an unprocessed coconut oil. In the coconut and coconut butter, the fiber and protein are an added bonus (Coconut milk also has some fiber and protein, but not as much as the whole coconut foods).

JoJoJo2
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
:) Well, I like my coconut oil "straight up."

I like my coffee black.

It just shows that we are all different. Currently I am trying to eliminate wheat and wheat products from my food intake. So I am enjoying this thread, although I'm not following the Wheat Belly diet totally.

Best of luck to all of you. :wave:

Nora52
01-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Welcome cemommster! I am Celiac so am off wheat too but I made the mistake of eating GF products and gained 50 pounds !! Glad to have you aboard!

Nora52
01-06-2013, 03:09 PM
Hi Sparky, Sorry you did not like the CO in coffee idea. Was that with milk or black coffee. I use mine with milk coffee. But we are all different. Maybe you can spread it on your lettuce wraps ! I found a great recipe online for bacon quiches. Can we post links ? I really want to try these. I can't remember now where I read about the 15g serving rule. It may have been the FB page or comments on is Blog.. he answers and often adds some more info. Sounds like you are doing well though. Better than me. I have really been slack during the holidays but must get back to it again this week. Ugh - I hate plateaus !

Nora52
01-06-2013, 03:24 PM
Glad to hear you are still doing good Mary. That is awesome ! I don't think an apple a day and some berries is too much if you are still losing weight and not hungry. Just do what feels best for you. I use my hunger as a guide as when my Insulin gets out of control - I get hungry between meals and snack more.

Sorry the pancakes did not work out. I have been finishing off the last of my GF pancake mix . When that finishes I will be looking for waffle recipes myself. I like almond flour and coconut flour baking - did you use them ?

I did not have any problems with the CO but I started slowly with a small teaspoon. Some people are using 4 tablespoons ! Be careful if you think you may have a problem.

Carrots, beets, potatoes are not really WB friendly. Too sweet and carby they say. Same for butternut although some squashes are OK. Zucchini is good and can be used for layering a casserole or lasagne instead of pasta. Can we post food links ?

We have been on holidays and its harder! I have been having wine at nights and it is probably too much ! Back to the plan this week. I have a mini goal of 199 before my next Dr's appt in a month. 6 pounds to go... but I have plateaued and need everyone's help !

I think there is another Topic somewhere about the nightmare 200 number ? Why do we stop at 200? Dr D says if the plateau is too long then to drop the dairy for a couple of weeks ... sigh.. I love my dairy...

Sparkygrrl
01-06-2013, 05:54 PM
Hi Nora,

That is awesome only six more pounds to go, you can do it! The holidays were hard on me and I got my sugar addiction back so today is my first day without it and I am excited. I know I will start to feel better in a couple of days and then I won't miss it. I tried the co with cream in my coffee. I'm still glad you suggested it, I love hearing new ideas. I am also trying to cut my dairy down which will be hard for me but I have stopped drinking it and now use unsweetened almond milk in my smoothies. I think it would be near improbable to give up my Greek yogurt and coffee cream. I have heard that non dairy cheese is good and am planning on buying some. I am looking forward to buying the WB cookbook to try some new things and there is also a paleo cookbook I may purchase at Costco. Happy Sunday to everyone!

Nora52
01-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Hi Sparky, It is only a mini goal.... but I am stuck ! Of course the holidays did not help. We are restarting together so that is awesome ! Curing the sweet addiction is tough but worth it... it is only a day or two of pain!

I wonder if cream would be better in my coffee than milk ? Less carby ? I only have 2 cups a day but would miss the dairy. The only almond milk the store stocks here ( it is a small town) has sugar in it - so that is no good.

I am totally committed to getting fit and trim this year! Last night hubbie and I were discussing the weight training , and now we plan to convert the spare bedroom... so I will have even more chance to train! Hubbie trains but the gear is scattered all over the house and packed away at times... Now we will have a room set up permanently. I am excited !!

Nora52
01-06-2013, 07:16 PM
I just checked and the milk is 6g carbs per coffee ...so 12g a day I don't need. Does anyone know how much cream has per serve ?

And - not sure if I can mention but I saw that Dr D is on CBS breakfast show tomorrow.. for those that want to watch..

Nora52
01-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Hi JoJoJo ! 86yo , Breast Cancer survivor and computer smart ! Wow !!! Welcome ! :)

Nora52
01-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Bacon !

OK- now I have your attention ;) This is the recipe I want to try... Don't you think it looks brilliant ? :cool:

http://www.fatgirltrappedinaskinnybody.com/2011/04/bacon-egg-cups/

Sparkygrrl
01-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Omg those look Devine!!! I showed them to my hubbie and he almost started drooling! And it is so simple, i have to try it! What a good idea about making the weight room. I'm not sure about the cream vs milk but I do have a friend who is doing weight watchers and she told me that milk has more points than cream does. My cream is 1 gram carb per tablespoon. I am craving sugar right now so going to try and make hot choc with unsweetened cocoa, stevia and the almond milk. I saw it posted somewhere and thought it was a good idea. Have a good night!

JoJoJo2
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Hi JoJoJo ! 86yo , Breast Cancer survivor and computer smart ! Wow !!! Welcome ! :)

Thanks for the welcome, Nora. I'm enjoying this thread and all the ideas you are all sharing. :wave:

maryshady
01-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Good Morning!!! Feeling sick today. Think I am getting a head cold. Ugh! Why do the weekends fly by! lol! Anyway still doing well. Had a few things with scant amount of flour in them this weekend. Went to fav restaurant and had crab bisque & crab cakes (their crab cakes are mostly crab with very little filler but still there was def a bit of filler) anyway still losing. Down a total of 3 lbs so far. So happy with that.

Nora-Cream is 1 carb per 2 TBSP serving much better than milk plus it makes the coffee so much creamier. I have been putting 1 tsp of CO in my coffee since yesterday. Will do that for a week, then increase until I am at 1 TBSP. Thanks for the recipe link. Looks yummy...are we allowed bacon? It is hard to find uncured bacon or do most just ignore that since its so little sugar added?
Thanks for the heads up about the carrots. Won't miss beets or pots but will certainly miss my carrots!! I think once the weight is off I will add them back in. The recipe I found was eggs & coconut flour. I think it was just a bad recipe cause all the other ones I have looked at only call for 1 egg this one called for 3!

Great idea about the home gym, we have set everything up in our basement and are planning on starting this week. Good luck on losing those 6 lbs, you can do it!!!

Have a great Monday!! :)

Billster
01-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Hello Everyone,
So I had to pick up the book this week, and finished it over the weekend. My husband has also started to read it and said he thinks it’s the best for us. I did Ideal Protein diet twice… lost all my weight this time last year phased off correct and bam it was ALL back on in a few months (Ate what the maintained phases said too) decided to start all over again on the diet lost 20+ in Nov but realized that maybe this was just a quick fix diet. My doctor (here in Canada IP is not medically supervised as it is in the USA) and ran blood work and I had all these odd proteins show up and he said this diet is not healthy for me as we are actively trying to get pregnant. He suggested to read Wheat Belly and follow the diet as a life style change, not just weight loss program. So we are 2 days in- I feel fine as IP was very low carb to start with, my poor husband is having some BAD withdrawals! Made the banana blueberry muffins from the book yesterday and realized I forgot the eggs after, however they still turned out amazing!

maryshady
01-09-2013, 07:42 AM
Good Morning everyone!
Looks like it was real quite around here yesterday. Down 4 lbs as of my 1 week mark. So very happy with that. Found a WB discussion group on FB. Just called WB need to apply to join but they approve you in about 2 secs.

Billster-Welcome to the group. I have been on WB 1 full week today. I really like it but I am going to have to do something this weekend about breakfast foods. Getting sick of eggs already! My dh had some cravings too but he is doing ok now. Did get him some dark chocolate since he was so addicted to coke and candy.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!

Billster
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Well its day 4 and the scale is down 3lbs! Woot Woot! I have been cooking a great deal- which I don’t mind doing. Hubby was at work last night so I made the flax seed wrap and filled it with eggs and salsa it was heaven! I do not have time to make breakfast during the week as I have a good 45 minute drive to work and eat at my desk when I get to work. I have been having muffins for breakfast and some berries and/or nuts. This works for me but requires some time in the evening to bake up a batch. The pumpkin muffins with some low fat cream cheese is so darn good! I used raw pumpkin seeds over walnuts (not a fan of walnuts). My husband makes shakes for breakfast- he is doing the diet for health not weight loss as he only needs to lost maybe 5 lbs not 50 like me. He loads up the blender with spinach, berries and wheat free protein powder and drinks it on his way to work. His big issue is he works on the road (he’s a train conductor) and can be gone for long periods of time – yesterday he works 19 hours in a row plus a hour drive to work each way. Any ideas of foods that will last long without having to be kept cool besides nuts?

Billster
01-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Maryshady- way t go on the weight loss!

Dali234
01-09-2013, 01:02 PM
So excited to find this forum! I read Wheat Belly a few months ago, and have not had any wheat since, except for a couple of tiny amounts. I started low carb, no or almost no wheat, food in it's real state (no artificial sweeteners, etc.) and am learning about broths and fermented foods from Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon. My goal is to be 80% adherent to my low carb/good fats plan, and 20% free for all. I think I am eating less than 20% "bad" now, it's just sugar in my coffee. I can give up a lot of things, but at this point, coffee is not one of them.
I started for real on January 1, and am logging everything I eat.

Nora52
01-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Great news from everyone ! Billster, excellent news on your weight loss. Awesome that hubbie is doing WB as well. That makes life easier.. Not sure on what other meals could be taken. How about soups in a thermos. Savoury muffins...I am thinking cheese/ bacon... Nuts of course. Dark chocolate.

I had a day shopping yesterday and had nothing but nuts and 2 squares of dark chocolate all day and felt ill when I walked past all the Malls with people eating. No way am I ever going back to that... the freedom of not needing to eat makes this all so worthwhile.

Nora52
01-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Great news Mary. Keep at it!

Nora52
01-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Hi Dali, Hope Jan 1 was a good starting date for you! This way of eating gets easier when all the junk is cut out. Are you grain free as well as wheat free ? Have you tried stevia in your coffee ? Those sugar spikes are going to make it harder for you to lose weight..I took days to recover from Christmas and a single serve of sugar. It really affected my energy levels for days. I don't use any sugar in coffee - just pure cream and it tastes really sweet to me now. Hope you had a good day!

maryshady
01-10-2013, 07:32 AM
I was down another .2 today so my weight is finally reflected in my ticker again! Now to get back to the 150's! Doing really well but was hoping my good sleep would continue but not last night. Woke up a 3:30 am and never went back to sleep. Ugh! it is going to be a long day.

Billster-Congrats on the 3 lbs!!!! that is great :) Can dh carry a mini cooler with him. Then he could take greek yogurt, some chix, boiled eggs ..really most things. If not how about cut up avocado, berries, beef jerky (?)

Dali-Welcome to the group. Glad you found us! Seems you have come up with an eating plan you can live with. I was still using 1 tsp of sugar in my tea until this week. Now I am using xylitol, tastes pretty good. Still having a serving of sweetened creamer in my coffee too. Haven't been able to give that up but not seeing the no hunger benefits Nora is talking about. So I plan on cutting that out next Monday. I now eat much less than I did before but no way I could go all day without eating yet.

Nora-What type of dark chocolate do you buy? bought some for dh 60% but noticed it has sugar in it. 3 squares would be 20 grams of carbs. he only eats on square each day but still. We tried the 85% but that stuff was horrible! Glad you did so well shopping today, seems you got right back on the wagon :)

Have a great Thursday!!

Dali234
01-10-2013, 10:25 AM
Something is not going quite right here. 10 days totally wheat free, grain free, additive free. High protein, good fats. I have gained three pounds. I think my servings will have to be cut back drastically. I didn't think my servings were very big, but apparently they are.
Back to the drawing board.
Fortunately, at this point, I am not frustrated, angry and willing to just throw in the towel as I might have in years past. I am taking this on a month-by-month experimental basis, but I would like to finish out this month with a loss, not a gain.

Billster
01-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Dali234- I would not worry too much about a gain- I know for myself if TOM is coming I can easily gain 5 lbs then it goes away again. It could also be your body adjusting to good fats, veggies, fruits. I try to always choose lower carb veggies over higher. I eat lots of lettuce, celery, cucumbers, green onions, snap peas (the thin ones not sugar snap peas) asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms and cauliflower. Just keep the same veggie choices as I did on IP. Only twice a week I allow myself to have some higher carb veggies such as- tomatoes, peas, turnip (not purple tops- the big ones), avocado, squash, eggplant and Brussels sprouts, carrots and only about 1 cup. This works for me so I’m not saying it will work for everyone. Fruits again I keep lower carb- grapefruits and berries are my 2 big ones- however I bought a 2lb box of kiwi at Costco and have been eat 2 of those a day. I keep my fruit as a treat or dessert.

Everyone else- Thank you for the tips on ideas for my hubby’s lunch! I am making him come to costco tomorrow to help me find things he will like and can take on the train! I still have some protein bars (Detour and simply bars- both do not have wheat or grains) so he can start taking those too. Again he is doing it for health as he maybe could do with losing 5lbs- unlike the 50 I need to lose.

Sparkygrrl
01-10-2013, 03:35 PM
Costco has at least three varieties of gluten free crackers...it is the only GF product I buy as per the WB book they're not good to eat but I love them with my hummus or with tuna salad. Quinoa salads would be good on the road as you can pair virtually anything with it. Costco sells quinoa as well as a good quinoa cookbook. Congrats Mary and billster on you're weight loss. That's awesome!! I'm going away for a night tomorrow so gonna bring lots of snacks so I have options as most coffee shops have nothing I can eat for breakfast

tapper47
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Hi guys, I'd like to join in!

I have the Wheat Belly book and have finished it. Now I need to get serious about losing the grain.

Billster
01-10-2013, 09:53 PM

I have the Wheat Belly book and have finished it. Now I need to get serious about losing the grain.

Welcome! The more of us the better support we can give each other!

Nora52
01-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Welcome ! You will just love this Way of Eating !

Reread the book. It has a lot of info that only clicks on the second read... :)

Nora52
01-11-2013, 02:22 AM
Have lost my stubborn 2 pounds !! Wish me luck for the weekend though as I am cooking for my elderly Mum... so have to stay on track. Think I will though :) I had a bit of a craving last night so had strawberries and cream for dessert. Yum!

Nora52
01-11-2013, 02:24 AM
And I think I am about to go a size smaller. My jeans looks silly/ too loose today !!! :) I do not think the scales are telling the whole story. I am literally shrinking in size all over ! :dizzy:

Billster
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Nora52- way to go! That's awesome! Never go by the scale (I know I'm bad for over thinking the number it says!) I took my body measurements in Nov when I restarted IP and again when I took the wheat belly lifestyle on. So Monday I'll take them again as my 'official' weight in date. Does it not feel amazing when things start to look silly on you!!!!

deetermined2
01-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Hi,

I'm new to this thread but have been relatively wheat free for 17 years, after discovering I had a wheat intolerance. (And in the last couple of years I've been wheat free.) Having stalled weight-wise I'm looking to tweak my diet. I've been doing a relatively low carb gluten free no plan.

I've read about WB here, as well as on Dr D's blog.

At this point, I still have a few questions. Is there a carb limit for the day? Nora52 mentioned that we should try to have less than 15 carbs per meal.
Are sweet potatoes a no-no? (I presume they are, but wanted to check.) What about fruits? I notice people are eating some of the lower carb ones.

On the blog, Dr D said that wine was okay and that he was going to list other acceptable alcohols at a future date. Did he and are there any?

Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Dee

Nora52
01-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks ! The weird thing is that I am losing weight all over ( not just the belly ) and the belly is last to shrink!!

I REALLY want my waist to shrink cos clothes just don't fit.... Hoping my skin shrinks... does the skin always shrink ?

I tried a MIM yesterday and it was awful!! Then I found I had tummy pain and THEN I discovered the label of the cocoa said "may contain Gluten" ... sigh..

Hope everyone had a good day!

Nora52- way to go! That's awesome! Never go by the scale (I know I'm bad for over thinking the number it says!) I took my body measurements in Nov when I restarted IP and again when I took the wheat belly lifestyle on. So Monday I'll take them again as my 'official' weight in date. Does it not feel amazing when things start to look silly on you!!!!

Nora52
01-12-2013, 08:39 PM
Hi Dee, Welcome ! That is awesome that you have been wheat free all those years... You will be able to jump into WB easily as you do not have the opiate like addiction to wheat that others have had to start with.

Do you eat other grains ? They can be nearly as bad as wheat. Corn, barley, rice.. Sweet potatoes would stall weight loss as would too many fruits. Dr D recommends minimal fruit if you want to lose weight. The 'berry' fruits occasionally... but be careful of fruit. Before I did WB - I was doing IR and the fruit had to be very carefully measured and eaten with protein... so I have not eaten much fruit for a long time.

Dr D talks about wine in his new book.. WB CookBook. Red wine , white wine are OK - in moderation of course. Beer is off limits although there are GF beers... Is there one in particular you were thinking of ? I could look it up.

Hope you enjoy this WOE ! I am off to try and bake a decent MIM ! :D

Hi,

I'm new to this thread but have been relatively wheat free for 17 years, after discovering I had a wheat intolerance. (And in the last couple of years I've been wheat free.) Having stalled weight-wise I'm looking to tweak my diet. I've been doing a relatively low carb gluten free no plan.

At this point, I still have a few questions. Is there a carb limit for the day? Nora52 mentioned that we should try to have less than 15 carbs per meal.
Are sweet potatoes a no-no? (I presume they are, but wanted to check.) What about fruits? I notice people are eating some of the lower carb ones.

On the blog, Dr D said that wine was okay and that he was going to list other acceptable alcohols at a future date. Did he and are there any?

Thanks,
Dee

Billster
01-13-2013, 10:31 AM
Thanks ! The weird thing is that I am losing weight all over ( not just the belly ) and the belly is last to shrink!!

I REALLY want my waist to shrink cos clothes just don't fit.... Hoping my skin shrinks... does the skin always shrink ?

I tried a MIM yesterday and it was awful!! Then I found I had tummy pain and THEN I discovered the label of the cocoa said "may contain Gluten" ... sigh..

Hope everyone had a good day!

Alright I'm sure confused! lol what is MIM?

I'm a bit down this morning- yesterday AM I was down to 229.5, today up to 232! Ugh! I gained a few pounds over x-mas ok well 7.5! And managed to get most of that off this week by starting WB. I'm not sure if I mess up yesterday or not- had left over stir-fry with maybe 1/2 c of rice (we ate out the night before at a stir-fry place and with my left over’s they decided to pack up with some rice with it) so had that for lunch and I had made chilli for dinner- used ground turkey, lots of veggies and one can of kidney beans for 6 servings. So I'm not sure if it was just too much limited things as I had rice and beans. Whatever at the end of the day its just that- rice and beans not bread bagels takeout foods.

Just a question do any of you take vitamins or supplements?
I have been taking- vit D, Folic Acid (as we have been trying to have a baby), probiotics, vit B complex, Omega 3 complex and digestive enzymes.

Billster
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Hi,

Thanks,
Dee

Welcome Dee!
As far as I know there is not a carb limit- however I’m pretty new to WB. I try to always choose my veggies with lower carb/ lower sugars then others. As for fruit I eat 1-2 servings a day- normally berries in the AM and sometimes 3-4 times a week another in the evening. The evening one is normally a grapefruit sometimes a banana in a shake. I’m not sure about drinks so I cannot help you there. Do you use gluten free products? Breads pastas etc? If so I would remove them as they are just as bad.
Since you have been wheat free for so long I’m sure you could help most of us with meal ideas etc!

deetermined2
01-13-2013, 10:50 AM
Nora 52,

The rumor I've heard, and it is only a rumor, is that if you lose weight relatively slowly and consume enough healthy fats you stand the best chance of having your skin shrink. Back awhile ago, someone also posted they used something topically to help. Think it might have been shea butter, but I'm not sure.

Billster
01-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Also I forgot to add I'm going to TRY and make pizza out of chicken. A woman I work with did Herbal Magic years ago and this was one of her fav foods and kept eating it after she went off plan. Take a chicken breast pound the crap out of it until its thin back for 8 mins- top with all your fav pizza toppings then back until cheese is melted. I also found another recipe on line but you need a food processor for it and mine started on fire a few weeks back (don't ask).
This is the one I found online if anyone is interested!
asy Crispy Pizza Crust

1 packed cup cooked, minced chicken breast
1 cup packed mozzarella, shredded
1 Tbsp parsley, dried
1 tsp basil
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Process chicken and cheese together. Mixture will resemble a meal/thick, dense crumb consistency.
3. Press chicken/cheese mixture on parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
4. Top with parsley, basil, onion and garlic powder.
5. Bake for 12 minutes.
6. Let cool for five minutes.
7. Top with sauce, cheese, and then toppings.
8. Bake for 6-8 minutes more, or until toppings are melted.
9. Let cool for five minutes.
10. Slice and serve.

Makes an entire 12-14″ pizza.

Nutritional information per 1/8 of pizza, prepared with pepperoni and added cheese and no-sugar pizza sauce: Calories: 180 , Carbohydrates: 1.8 g , Fiber: .2 g, Net Carbohydrates: 1.6 g , Protein: 17.3 g, Fat: 11 g.
Nutritional information per 1/8 of pizza crust only: Calories: 96.9, Carbohydrates: .5 g , Fiber: 0 g, Net Carbohydrates: .5 g , Protein: 11.9 g, Fat: 5g.

deetermined2
01-13-2013, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the information, Billster!

In regard to some stir-fries, one thing to be aware of is that soy sauce is generally NOT gluten free, though you can buy special soy sauce that is. It is also salty, which may cause water retention.

Billster
01-13-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the information, Billster!

In regard to some stir-fries, one thing to be aware of is that soy sauce is generally NOT gluten free, though you can buy special soy sauce that is. It is also salty, which may cause water retention.

I made sure NOT to use soy sauce it was on the table and husband picked it up and was shocked to see wheat listed... I already knew so just used extra garlic and ginger :)

Nora52
01-14-2013, 02:13 AM
MIM is a Muffin In a Minute. I used almond flour, egg, milk, and butter and made it savoury with onion . There are lots of various recipes if you Google. I was not that impressed with mine..

Sorry the weight has come up again. Maybe it was the stir fry you had out and adding rice to it. Maybe there was wheat in the sauce ? Did it have carrots ? Carrots are not on the WB list. I saw on another post you have banana smoothies. They are very carby too. WB tries to keep carbs to 15g a meal and 50g for the day... It will take a few days to get your body back to WB after rice etc...Stay strong ! The supplements sound good. I take probiotics when I remember, and a B vitamin. My D is OK so I don't need that..

Billster
01-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Well my week one WI was not bad! Down 6 in total (1.5 more then xmas gain is off) and 4 1/4 inches! Im more then ok with this! I know carrots are a no no! Yeah i think the bit of rice did me in but this is a learning process! I cant expect to be perfect with a whole lifestyle change in one week! Ill google the muffins!

Nora52
01-15-2013, 02:23 AM
Great work to lose that much in a week! Where have you lost the inches ? I am still not losing my waist inches which is annoying me. Hope the rice did not upset you too much. We have to learn as we go how certain foods affect us. Some of us are more sensitive than others.. Did you find any good MIM recipes ? :)

Billster
01-15-2013, 11:28 AM
Hey Nora,
No I didn’t find any good MIM recipes as of yet- only looked at a few when I had a bit of downtime at work. Most that I saw require sugar- Which I have cut out of my diet and I hate Stevia and sweeteners- they give me headaches. I ended up making the blueberry banana muffins from the book again last night and remembered the eggs this time! They are so darn good! I don’t mind using a banana in this as I have cut all bananas out but it requires 1 between 12 muffins so its really not that bad!
My inches were- Belly 2, arms 1/4 , calf 1/4 , thigh 3/4 , hips 1, and chest 0. I found it odd that there were none in the chest as every other diet I have done- chest goes first! I’m not over worries about the rice and the end of the day I feel so much better than I have in a LONG time! And I never once found myself feeling deprived or hungry.

maryshady
01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Sorry I have been MIA this week. Started feeling sick on Sunday night and have been laid out since. Unfortunately went off WB while sick. Could not stomach the thought of drinking water and the only thing I wanted to eat was chix soup. Finally going to work today but plan on going back on plan today except for a little sugar in my tea as I still can not stomach coffee. Was up a lb. but TOM came on Monday too!

Sparkygrrl
01-19-2013, 09:43 PM
How are you feeling now Mary? I agree is hard to be sick and wheat free. I think I ended up eating yogurt the last time I was sick but really wanted to eat toast. Thank you to whoever mentioned the gourmet girl cooks website. She's got some really good recipes on there and it's a very simple website. She had a good idea to use flaxseed in one of her recipes as opposed to breadcrumbs and I will try the next time I make meatloaf. I am still struggling with sugar cravings but bought some dark chocolate which is better I guess than peanut butter cups. Tomorrow I'm planning on trying to bake a few things so I have some more options. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Billster
01-20-2013, 01:21 AM
Mary hope you are feeling better!! Being sick can throw everything out of wack!

I made the rye bread from the cook book! Amazing! Hubby is down 9lbs in 12 days!!! Also in 12 days his blood pressure is down to a normal range- this lifestyle clearly works! My scale has not moved at all- not sure what im doing wrong! Stopped eating all fruit unless its a banana split between 12 muffins with a few blueberrys in each muffin. Oh well overall i feel amazing and full of energy! Who knew i would feel the best i ever have in my whole life in just 12 days! This book has really inspired me

maryshady
01-21-2013, 11:04 AM
Thanks guys I am feeling much better. Back to grain free today. Messed up a little this weekend. My dh and I are not finding the energy everyone talks about. We have both lost some weight, him-9 lbs & me-5 lbs in a little less than 3 weeks. But when we both do something strenuous we feel tired! He was carting wood yesterday and said his legs felt so weak which was not a problem before for him. I may just be still feeling the lingering effects of being sick.

Sparky-I love the gourmetgirl website. have found lots of great things on there.

Billster-Hooray for dh!!! Are you eating enough fat? Believe it or not you need to eat quite a bit of fat to lose weight on lo carb. How is your water intake. At least 64 oz a day?

Billster
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
Yes Mary, lots of water! I have a water bottle at my desk which is 24 oz's and I drink two of those at work and at least another one once I get home. I'm hoping just maybe I'll have a huge belly and a baby in 8 months... might just be! However not getting my hopes up to much. I also have to understand weight loss is not going to be rapid on this diet!

maryshady
01-22-2013, 08:21 AM
Billster-Keep us posted. :) If you are preggers, I think you will need to up your carbohydrate total for the day so ur not in ketosis. I think those that lose weight quickly totally go into ketosis like the Atkins diet. When I did that years ago I lost 5 lbs in the first week but felt pretty crappy. I will not give up my fruits or veggies this time.

RoxieK
01-22-2013, 11:21 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just started wheat belly a couple weeks ago and I was loosing weight just fine but now i'm going the other way. I haven't even cheated once :( I just finished my period but the scale is up 5 lbs.

Any suggestions? I just don't get it. :(

Billster
01-22-2013, 03:01 PM
Oh Mary I'm just hoping that this time might just be it! We have been trying for a few years but the issues lie with me. We have been in contact with adoption and foster agencies but I will look more at that route once I hit 30 until then all I do is hope and wish! Anyways that’s enough of that! The concept behind ideal protein was being in ketosis- yes you lost weight fast but it came back on even faster! Something I’m not willing to do again.

RoxieK- Yeah another Canadian lady! Woot Woot! I’m still very new at this diet and I must say my scale jumps up and down each week! A few things I have noticed that affect me- not enough water, too many muffins, too much fruit and too many higher carb veggies! The first week I did not cook anything from to cook book and lost 7, the second week I made muffins and I was up .5lbs. At the end of the day I feel better than I ever have. Have you taken your measurements? I know from other diets that even with zero weight loss inches went down.

Sparkygrrl
01-22-2013, 04:53 PM
I have my fingers crossed for you....I have a friend who has wanted kids forever and finally met her life partner at age 38 and got married and they started trying right away and unfortunate had problems. They both have deficiencies and instead of spending all the mney on IVF they have decided to go ahead with adoption. It is a very exciting process and she is embracing it and I can't wait to meet the little one. No real point to this but just wanted to send you positive vibes. As for energy Mary I have not felt the energy increase that many on WB experience and am trying to regulate my sleep at the moment so I get eight hours every night and see if that helps my energy levels. If anyone else has a great recipe they have tried recently pls let me know!

RoxieK
01-24-2013, 01:10 AM
Billster - Yes a fellow Canadian :-) I just did my measurements tonight. I did try a few different muffin recipes this week but most ended up being given away becuase I want my friends to see how good things can be without flour. Everyone really enjoyed them :-) I'm guessing water is the issue...i'm bad at getting my water in but I have been trying to get better at it.

maryshady
01-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Down 5.5 lbs in 3 weeks. Very happy with that. Was sick last week so was eating soup with noodles in it for 3 days and not drinking any water & haven't given up all sugar yet. With that in mind very happy with the results. I could def stay on this WOE for the rest of my life. Don't miss the bread products at all. I would like to lose about 10-15 more lbs. Would like to see that by summer so am on the right track for that.

Sparky- Made this recipe the other night. I love it!

Guiltless Spaghetti

Ingredients (serves 3-4)
1 lb. package of ground turkey or ground beef
3 garlic cloves
1/2 medium sized onion, finely chopped
jar of spaghetti sauce (sugar free) or homemade
1/4 head cauliflower, finely chopped (you can put more cauliflower in the dish if you like, up to 1/2 head)
packaged coleslaw mix

1. Brown ground turkey/beef with garlic and chopped onion in a deep saute pan. Drain

2.Stir in finely chopped cauliflower (you may also add chopped green bell
peppers if you wish) and saute for 5-10 minutes til the cauliflower
picks up a little color.

3. Stir in tomato sauce.

4. Fill a deep pasta bowl with 3/4 cup of shredded coleslaw mix. Top with
a generous scoop of meat marinara.

5. Top with a few pats of butter and parmesan cheese.

It sounds weird but it is oh so good! Got this from the 17 day diet website & modified it for WB.

Billster
01-25-2013, 10:56 AM
Mary this sounds pretty good I must say!

One of my 15 minutes or less meals is rice free cabbage rolls! In a pan cook ground beef/ ground turkey (until half way done) then add some dices tomatoes or tomato paste, and cabbage (or coleslaw mix) cook until slaw is soft. It looks gross however tastes just like cabbage rolls! The I add some butter and GF soy sauce.

We have become hooked on the hot flex seed cereal from the book, soooo good! And filling! Have a great weekend all!

maryshady
01-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Here another good recipe I found for grain free Banana-Walnut Bread. Love this:

Grain-free Banana Walnut Bread
• 1 C almond flour
• 1/3 C coconut flour
• 3/4 tsp salt
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 3 TB coconut oil, melted (or butter)
• 3 eggs
• 2 ripe bananas, mashed
• 1/3 C sweetner
• 1 TB vanilla
• 1/3 c plus 2 TB water
• 1/2 C chopped walnuts (optional)
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a bread pan with butter or coconut oil. (I used a silicone bread pan, and rubbed it with butter.) Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine completely. In a separate bowl, combine mashed bananas, eggs, coconut oil, syrup, vanilla, and water. Add to dry ingredients and mix until combined, mix in walnuts.

Pour into prepared pan and smooth out on top. Bake at 350 for a total of 40-45 minutes (or until a skewer inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out cleanly), rotating once halfway through baketime. Remove to wire rack to cool, removing from pan after cooling slightly. Serve with butter, whipped cream or cream cheese. (Total carbs about 80 for the loaf, 5g net carbs each for 16 slices.)

maryshady
01-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Billster-didn't think that hot cereal sounded appetizing at all but now am going to try it. Just get so sick of eggs for breakfast every morning. This week I even took soup two days for breakfast!!

Sparkygrrl
01-27-2013, 10:49 AM
I hear ya Mary..I've dne six months now of protein shakes and very tired of it. I tried the WB recipe from the first book for a hot cereal and it was gross so hopefully the recipe you're talking about is different. I have a one minute muffin a couple of times a week and put diabetic jam on it. If you go on the fast paleo website there is some really yummy muffin recipes. I'm going to try the carrot ones today. Also I googled protein powder ideas for non shakes and got a bunch from the live strong website. There is one that is the protein powder with water and you make a pancake out of it. Simple and fast. I will let you know how the muffins turn out. Since its Sunday morning were having a bacon and egg breakfast which I'm looking forward to. Have a great Sunday everyone!

Billster
01-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Sparkygrrl- yes that’s the one I’m talking about! However I had some vanilla extract and 1 c of almond milk and about 10 black berries. Myself and husband love it. I just pumpkin seeds in mine, hubby like sunflower seeds.

Frustrated this week! Weight stayed the same and inches are up ¼- ½ all over my body. So I think I’m retaining some water. TOM should be coming this week unless I get a BFP on the pregnancy test. Hoping for it but not expecting it. I always get myself all worked up that just maybe this time it will be but I’m trying to have a new approach on it so I don’t get myself all excited.

I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. The first week on WB I did not watch my fruit and on average was eating 1c berries or 4 kiwi’s and a grapefruit in the evening and every other day ½ banana. Now I’m really watching my fruits normally about 10 black berries in my flax seed cereal in the morning and I’m at a standstill. Hubby eats fruit all day long and has now lost 19 lbs. Maybe not enough fat. I donno however I feel like a million bucks these days!

maryshady
01-30-2013, 08:25 AM
Morning Ladies!!! Finally back down to the original 5.5 lbs I lost. Went out to dinner Thurs, Friday, & ordered out Sat. Lots of B-days last week in the family. Also had a couple of drinks. So all that put me up a lb. Been enjoying eating this way and nice to know that I can eat out 3 days in a row with only a 1 lb weight gain. My body is really sensitive to sodium.
Going to try a new recipe tonite called Crack Slaw. let you know how it is and then I will post it. Haven't tried making the cereal yet. Will do so this weekend.

Sparkygirl-thanks for the tips for recipes. I have found a couple of websites that have some fabulous recipes. haven't tried them yet. Doing one new one per week. One is Gourmetgirlcooks (or something like that) and against all grain. Just do a search.

Billster-Don't worry too much about the water weight which I am sure it is. Women's bodies fluctuate. My dh has not given up sugar and has lost 10 lbs! to my 5.5 lbs (the only sugar I have is 1 tsp in my tea each morning)

Have either of you bought the cookbook yet?

Billster
01-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Oh I want to hear all about Crack Slaw!
I did buy the cookbook about 2 days after I started reading the book. I LOVE the cookbook and found it so worth the money. I have made rye bread and the cheese buns. Both were a hit! I have found however most of the recipes so far are a good base but I find that they are missing something. I really like a great deal of spice and flavor, so I find most of them a good starting point- except for the breads and buns. DH’s 29th birthday is this weekend and my 29th will be 6 weeks later……. so I will be trying to make one of the cheese cakes- wish me luck I have never been a baker, nor enjoy it too much.
This has been a HUGE hit of a side dish at our house this week- Cauliflower cheese bake! Found the recipe in one of those $2.99 magazines at the checkout. The WB Doctor released an extra 20 recipes into this magazine after his appearance on Dr. Oz. So here it is if you guys don’t have it-
1 head cauliflower
1 tbs coconut oil
2 tbs coconut flour
1 c chicken broth (or stock)
1/2c cream cheese
1 c shredded cheddar cheese
4 tbs parmesan cheese
1 small onion- diced small
Salt and pepper to taste

- Cut cauliflower into smaller parts (or use a bag of pre cut cauliflower) and boil for a few moments until soft but not too soft. Drain and add to a baking dish.
- In a frying pan cook onion with the coconut oil until soft. Reduce heat add chicken stock, coconut flour once it thickens add paper and salt, cream cheese, half the shredded cheese,2 tbs of parmesan cheese.
- Add sauce to cauliflower and top with the 2 remaining cheeses. Bake at 350 for 17 minutes or until golden brown.

maryshady
01-31-2013, 08:10 AM
Billster- I am making that tonite with chicken tenders!!! Sounds so good. The crack slaw was really good! My dh wasn't too impressed but I didn't have any sesame oil so I toasted up some sesame seeds & slivered almonds in butter and I used canola oil (I need to finish this before switching over). I didn't use the ginger (don't like ginger) and I used Erthriyol for sweetner. I also used regular yellow onions as I didn't have green onions! So I really changed it up!!:)

Good going to order the book this weekend from Amazon. Will check out the stores first but I couldn't find Wheat Belly anywhere around here and had to order it. Was down another .5 lb today so at 161.8!!!! Can't wait to get to the 150's!!

HAMBURGER CABBAGE STIR-FRY
1 pound ground beef
2 cloves garlic, minced
16 ounce bag coleslaw mix *
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Pinch ginger, optional
Pinch cayenne, optional
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons granular Splenda, optional
1 bunch green onions, cut on the bias (about 8 onions or 3 ounces after trimming)
In a very large skillet or wok, brown the ground beef with the garlic and a little salt and pepper. Drain the fat, if you like, or just leave it in. Add the cabbage and mushrooms and stir-fry until the cabbage is tender-crisp. Add the remaining ingredients and heat through. Adjust the seasoning to your taste.
Makes 6 servings

lindsayk86
01-31-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey Everyone,

I was on the Ideal Protein but quit in November and put on 20lbs and it's driving me crazy. I'm in the middle of the WB Book so once I am done reading I am going to start. Already purchased the cookbook as well. I need a lifestyle change and to not constantly feel like I am on a diet. I was always on 3 fat chicks for IP. So I am glad there is a thread for WB as well.

Billster
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM
Lindsayk86- Welcome! First off let me say its nice to see a local around here! I live in Alix about 45 mins outside of Red Deer! Second I also did IP! I lost 75lbs last year phased off correct and continued to eat how IP said I should and within months it was all back on and an extra 10lbs! So gained a total of 85 back- This seemed to have happened to a whole lot of people I know who have done the diet, granted some went back to take out food where some like me kept everything under control. I went back to IP for 2 weeks and lost 10 and realized this diet is BS, so I’ll spend a wack load of my hard earned money, deprive my body and lose weight just to pack it on again. My doctor never agreed with diet from the start as I have hormone imbalances and IP messed that up even more which is horrible for me as we have been trying to have a baby for over a year now. Anyways there is my IP rant!
I LOVE WB! I’m 21 days in only lost 8 lbs however I feel if the weight comes off slower it was stay off longer. Inches are coming off at a nice pace too. A girl I work with has lost 0 lbs however has dropped 2 sizes in clothing but she works out and weight lifts. Anyway from coming from IP to WB was a great choice for me- I feel like a million bucks, never hungry and I get to eat! Eating out is not too bad either as most places offer GF menus. Any help on finding products in Red Deer let me know I have scoped out the best prices etc. Hope you decided to jump over to our ship!

maryshady
01-31-2013, 05:34 PM
Lindsay:welcome: So glad to have you here with us. You will love this WOL. It is a bit overwhelming at first but I am enjoying learning to cook differently. So far I have loved everything I have tried. I started Jan. 2 and have lost 6 lbs so far. i would like to lose 20 total. My dh has lost over 10 lbs. and has cut way back on sugar but still consuming a bit.

maryshady
02-01-2013, 08:46 AM
WooHoo!! So excited this morning was down 1 lb from yesterday. So now at 160.8!!! Loving this plan.

Billster-tried the cheesy cauliflower last night. I loved it, dh didn't. He is finding out he is not too fond of cauliflower! I did modify my usual recipe for chix tenders and it was delish. I will post it later.

have a great Friday!!!

Billster
02-01-2013, 11:27 AM
Way to go Mary! That's amazing news! Your doing SO well on this plan!

Happy you liked the cauliflower! I LOVE it! I found the extra recipes in Women's First Mag at the cash out. If they are not selling it anymore I could photocopy them and mail them to you if you would like.

I picked up everything to make cheesecake for DH's b-day this weekend.... I'll let you all know how it goes!

deetermined2
02-03-2013, 01:07 PM
Hi, all!

Have been stuck at the same weight in spite of getting rid of what little grain was left in my diet, (which wasn't that much), or at least I thought I had. Though I just discovered the chili powder I'd been putting on my eggs to up the burn contains a trace amount of wheat. Who would ever have suspected? Wonder if that trace amount could cause a stall?

Nice to see all the positive results others are experiencing.

Dee

Billster
02-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Im in GF blueberry cheese cake heaven!!!! It turned out amazing if anyone wants the recipe let me know! :)

WI day tomorrow hoping my 2 pieces of cheesecake didnt kill it!!
DH and i came up with a plan his vacation is end of october this year so we decided if we are not preggers by then we are going for a week on the beach! If we are going back to ontario to see my family. Either way it will be great! So now i have motivation for which ever happens 1. Bathing suit 2. Healthy for baby. This will help keep me motivated and you ladies of course!

deetermined2
02-03-2013, 11:09 PM
Billster,

Would love that recipe for GF blueberry cheesecake!

Thanks,
Dee

maryshady
02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
I would love that recipe too!!!

Billster
02-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Ok Ladies here we go!
There are 3 parts to the recipe! I made it in a pie dish and worked out perfect. The only thing I would change next time is if I was making a blueberry topping I would not add as much lemon but if I was making a raspberry topping I would use that much lemon. I used splenda for the “sugar” so you could use stevia however I did not have that much on hand, I don’t know about other sweeteners as these are the only two I can find in Canada.
Crust
1 ½ c ground nuts (I used almond flour)
½ c splenda
1 ½ tsp cinnamon
1 egg lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract (pure)
Combine all ingredients and use your fingers to push down and spread to make a crust. I also sprayed the pan with some olive oil so it wouldn’t stick. I also made the crust all the way up the sides like a pie crust.

Filling
16 oz cream cheese
3/4c sour cream
½ c sweetner
Dash of sea salt
3 eggs
Juice from one lemon and lemon zest from peel
2 tsp vanilla extract pure
Combine all of these ingredients and beat well with a hang mixer. Bake at 325 for 50 minutes or until knife comes out clean

Topping
As your cheesecake is baking on the stove top add 2 cups of blueberries (or any berries- if its strawberries cut into smaller parts first)
1-2 tbs butter
¼ c heavy cream (I used whipping cream)
1 tbs sweetener
Melt butter in pot add blueberries, cook on medium heat until blue berries start to break down. Add cream and sweetener, continue cooking on low med heat for another 15-20 minutes stirring every couple minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temp.

Let Cheesecake cool for about 1 hour then add topping. Cover and put in fridge for at least 3 hours. Sounds like a great deal of work however most of the time was letting the darn thing cool!

**Also on a great note- scale was down 2lbs today! Woot woot!

deetermined2
02-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Thanks, Billster,

And congrats on the loss!

Dee

maryshady
02-05-2013, 08:07 AM
Woohoo!!! on the loss, Billster!!!

I am def making this recipe this weekend. Will cut up and freeze the slices.
still hanging out at 160.8-161! Did have a few cheats on Superbowl Sunday. Looking forward to being in the 150's!!!

Billster
02-05-2013, 11:41 AM
I dont know how it will freeze but let me know cuz I might just do this as well this weekend! I forgot to add I did add 2 or 3 tbs of coconut flour to thicken it up a bit - to the topping. I found the topping recipe on marta stewart and she called for real sugar and corn starch so I changed it to splenda and coconut flour just an FYI

maryshady
02-06-2013, 07:45 AM
What do you eat for breakfast?

Billster
02-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Eggs on the weekend with cheese buns (from the cookbook) during the week protein shake with 10 blackberries, spinich, 1tbs coconut oil (keeps me fuller longer and helps get good fat in) 2 tbs sugar free almond butter and 1 premire nutrition ready made chocolate protein shake (low fat, 2g sugar, 1carb) blend it all up- heaven! I drive two towns over for work 35 mins and i dont have time to cook. My other option is flax seed cerial i have that tues/thursday and eat at my desk. DH has hard boiled eggs or flax seed cerial all week.

maryshady
02-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't get to leave for lunch until 1:15-1:30 each day. If I have breakfast at 10 am do u think that shake will keep me full. It would sure beat making eggs every morning. I love eggs but you get sick of them after a while, kwim? Where did u buy the protein shake at?

Was up .8 lbs this morning. Don't know what is going on. I don't think my TOM is until next week. Probably shouldn't weigh every day but I am in the habit of it! lol!

Billster
02-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Oh I hear you on late lunches! I get to work at 8am and have lunch some weeks at noon some at 1. I found the shakes (premier nutrition- pure protein) when I was trying to cut down some costs on Ideal Protein diet. I get them at Costco 18 for $25 in the vitamin section. DH loves them for work as he finds they give him a boost for his long work hours, I like to beef mine up a bit. A few others (however I’m not sure if they are GF or not) would be EAS Advantage- Walmart, Muscle Milk shakes- costco (maybe sam’s club in the US) and I think the atkins shakes would work to however I’m not sure on sugar/ carbs. I’m in Canada so these for sure I know I can find up here in the north lol. However I think any good whey protein powder would work as well (just check GF) ISO flex is a top notch brand a bit expensive at first 5lbs for $100, chocolate peanut butter is excellent and then mix with milk or almond milk. The ones I use have 30g protein and it keeps me going all morning, but I add bunch of other things like spinach- can never go wrong with spinach! The flax seed cereal looks disgusting! However I add 10 blackberries to it and this keeps me VERY full!

On another note had blood work done last week, came back perfect- cholesterol has made a dramatic drop and is well within normal range (was normal- high 4 months ago). However my iron is extremely low! Not caused by the diet but TOM! Ever since I went off the pill TOM has been ****! Super heavy and bad cramps. So my doc said I have to take iron every day now as food will just not be enough to get it up to normal, he also think that because my iron is so low I’m not ovulating which would explain why I’m not preggers yet. He’s also putting me on Clomid for 6 months to get my ovaries doing what they should be doing. Sorry if its TMI but my friends just done get it they all had babies without issues and keep saying “Oh Billie it will happen….” I’m sick of hearing this after 3 years of 2 pregnancies and no babies at home (one was a natural miscarriage and 1 had to be a DnC due to no heartbeat at 12 weeks- at least with that they could find out that I don’t produce progesterone so when it happens I’ll have to take a hormone pill for 3 months). Anyways thanks for listening, have a great day everyone ~Billie~

Billster
02-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Have any of you had 'Bullet proof coffee'???? Coffee, coconut oil and butter- yes all three! I'm going to try it... lol

maryshady
02-11-2013, 08:29 AM
Billster-Thanks for the info on the protein powder. Have to go to BJ's (like costco) next week so will check them out. Hope everything works out for you with the fertility meds. They made my sister in law crazy while taking them (but she is a little crazy on her own!) So sorry to hear about your two loses (((hugs))).

I liked the flax cereal but didn't have unsweetened coconut flakes so I used the sweetened ones. When I ran it thru a carb count! way too high. Couldn't find any around here so had to order off Amazon. Finding I can't find a lot of stuff. I just ordered the garbanzo bean & coconut flours, walnut & sesame oils, and the coconut flakes all from Amazon. I think I relatively have all the basics now for most of the recipes. It can get expensive!!

I just put coconut oil in my coffee but haven't tried that recipe. Let me know how it tastes and how full it keeps you.

have a great Monday!!

Billster
02-11-2013, 06:35 PM
Hey Mary… I will try bullet proof coffee this weekend and let you know my review! I’m drinking my coffee black now! I have been using my fitness pal app on my iphone to track carbs to make sure I’m not going crazy! Well I never thought to add my coffee (duh!) well my ex Tim Horton’s coffee with 2 milk has 8 carbs in it!!! And most days, hate to admit it but I have 2, that’s 16 useless carbs!!!!!

I made cheesecake AGAIN this weekend- I think I’m in LOVE! I used some DaVinci syrup (0 carb, 0 sugar, 0 cal) in the amaretto flavoring… WOW! I was in heaven!

I have not used too many flours, mostly ground almonds and coconut flour. I plan on buying a food processor soon and making my own ground almonds it was cost so much less as a massive bag of whole raw almonds from costco is 15$ and to buy it pre ground at Bulk Barn for the same amount is almost $50!!! What are you going to use the chick pea flour for? I’m surprised you cannot find much where you are! I’m in a real rural area and drive to the city to get the odd few things I can’t find here and to go to costco but most I can find here.

deetermined2
02-11-2013, 11:37 PM
Finally, broke my very long plateau and am down a pound!!

Was afraid I might have to give up dairy besides all grains to break the stall, but fortunately that wasn't necessary.

Giving up all grains, plus dairy, plus almost all sugar, and severely limiting fruit would have left me feeling very deprived.

I have gotten around to reading most of the book, (though I have to admit I skipped some of the stuff about the wheat, since I'd read about it from other sources and have been wheat-free for many years), or at least all of part two.

I have yet to try any of the recipes. What are your favorites?

maryshady
02-14-2013, 08:13 AM
Billster-The chickpea flour is for the pizza recipe. Want to try that this weekend!
Also making the cheesecake this weekend as we are having a January birthday party for all the members of our extended family. Looking forward to it. I am stuck at 160.8! ugh! haven't moved but up & down by 1 lb for the past two weeks! frustrating. But i am on TOM this week so hopefully that number will be lower by the weekend.

Determined-:carrot::carrot::carrot: On the weight loss!!! So wonderful to see the scale move downward. My favorite recipes are the banana walnut bread i posted on this link, the guiltless spaghetti, & the hot cereal ain't bad either! I am trying the pizza and cheesecake this weekend. let you know how they turn out.

:val1::val1: Happy Valentine's Day....back away from the candy!! lol!

Billster
02-14-2013, 12:32 PM
Deetermined2- Way to go on the loss! Awesome news! My fav recipes from the cookbook- Cheddar cheese buns Mmmmm, cheese cake and rye bread! All the ones I have tried are amazing, however I find the soups are missing something and I ‘beef’ them up a bit. However a great starting base.

Mary- Let me know how the pizza makes out! I have been meaning to try it but ended up making a pizza crust out of cheese and chicken breast which was by far the most amazing thing I have ever had. Since I have been taking the iron my scale is up 5 lbs and will not go down even though I have been strictly watching my carbs and keeping them around 35-44 per day.

Have a great day ladies!

coffeebrain
02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
maryshady, I just read your first post on this thread, and thank you so much for mentioning Gourmet Girl Cooks. Those recipes are awesome! Thank you!

I am not on the Wheat Belly Diet per sey (I do have the book), but since I eat low glycemic and avoid gluten, I guess I am by default! I'd like to join you all on this Wheat Belly chat. Giving up gluten changed my health around 180 degrees!

Billster
02-15-2013, 01:31 PM
coffeebrain- welcome! The more we have the better! I know in the 5 weeks I have given up gluten I sure as heck feel so much better!

coffeebrain
02-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Thanks for the welcome! And your cheesecake recipe looks awesome!

maryshady
02-15-2013, 03:07 PM
coffeebrain-Welcome to our group. So glad to have u!!! Gourmet girl has some awesome recipes. :) I feel so much better too. I sleep so much better and my relationship with food is that of a normal person now!!

Billster-I might make it tonite. Please post your recipe too!

coffeebrain
02-15-2013, 08:22 PM
Mary, I hear you. It still amazes me that I'm not prone to overeat anymore. And believe me, I could sock it away. That change alone is like a miracle!

deetermined2
02-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Welcome, coffeebrain.

And thanks Billster and maryshady for the list of your favorite recipes from the book. I am much more apt to try something that comes recommended. I'm somewhat of a reluctant cook, (not that I don't usually cook dinner from scratch almost every night).

maryshady
02-17-2013, 02:20 PM
Never got around to making the pizza but did make the cheesecake today. Let u know how that turns out later. Looks delish!

Billster
02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Well bullet proof coffee was not as bad as i thought it would be! Will be having it again! So far not hungry but its only been a few hours lol

Mary how did the cheese cake turn out? I made another one raspberry lemon this time!

maryshady
02-19-2013, 08:13 AM
What's in the bulletproof coffee again? Was drinking mine with coconut oil and then stopped. Should start that again.

I had a terrible weekend! ugh! ate things I should not have ate and I am in a really bad mood today! Keep thinking it is the carbs that did it. Back on the wagon today. Will never have chips in my house again!

Billster
02-19-2013, 09:05 AM
Bullet proof coffee- coffee with coconut oil and butter added to it. I did add a splash of almond milk to it as well! Made it again this morning to drink drivingg to work and will see how long it will keep me full. Being at home yesterday was not a good way to judge as i ate everything yeaterday due to boredom!

deetermined2
02-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I haven't tried the bullet proof coffee yet, but I did get around to trying the flaxseed cereal. It is definitely better than it looks, with the bonus of lots of fiber.

One diet book I've been reading suggests that eating 25 grams of fiber per day helps to reduce inflammation so that it is easier to lose weight. If so that cereal should get you half way there.

Billster
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Fiber is no issue for me most days im 30+ grams. However since i have been on the iron pills i have been having HUGE big "C" issues!!! I have to break down to take some laxatives. I added an extra two servings of fruit a day and its starting to help a bit and i know that will hurt weight loss however im thinking long term- take iron feel better mentally and have more energy which will then allow me to lose more weight as ill have energy to exercise etc or stop taking the iron and sleep 11-14 hours a day. Hmmm im thinking the iron is the best bet! So happy im GF now! Could you believe how crappy i would feel with a belly full of pasta and not able to go to the bathroom!!!!

Amarantha2
02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Hello, I am happy to find this group. I am not per se doing low carb & do not totally even agree with everything in the Wheat Belly book but reading it gave me some hints that I might like to try a wheat free lifestyle & I am doing a test until March 20 when I will evaluate further but I do know I feel better than I did & this way of eating is very agreeable to me & easy to do. Weight loss is not my objective in avoiding wheat, I just feel better, although I have had a few periods of missing my lifetime of wheat being my major food. But those have been very minor.

maryshady
02-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Morning Ladies. Well scale finally got back down today after my episode on Monday!! ugh! Having a good week. Mood is back under control. I am going to try to make the Whitecastle Hamberger pie recipe someone posted on the wheatbelly facebook page. Let u know how that turns out.

Billy-are you whipping up your bullet proof coffee in a blender? they were saying that makes it real frothy. Can't imagine butter in coffee but may try it.
How about adding some benefiber or physilium husk to your diet. I think you can just sprinkle over veggies or soup with no added taste. That may help in the C area.

Amarantha-Welcome!

Determined-Hi!!

Have a great Friday!!

Amarantha2
02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks, Mary Shady!

Have a GREAT weekend all; I know I intend to!

Billster
02-22-2013, 01:07 PM
I use a hand held milk frother to blend it all together bought it for 5 bucks at walmart, works perfect. I plan on going to the city this weekend to get chia seeds which is suppose to help with the big c! Looking around for natural products just means a city trip!

maryshady
02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Made the whitecastle cheeseburger pie and it was delicious!! Dh loved it too!

Billie-r u using mct oil or coconut oil in your bulletproof coffee?

Billster
02-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Hey Mary! Hope your having a good weekend so far! I use coconut oil as i found a huge 1lb tub at costco for 10 bucks! So i need to use that up and i like the coconut flavor in my coffee it cuts the butter taste. I plan on buying the bulletproof beans in the next few weeks if they ship to canada- pretty
Expensive 18.99/ half pound or finding a high quality bean local. Your looking for organic mold free beans- so anything high quality not your foldgers can of coffee, even a local brand in canada kicking horse coffee would do as there would be less chance or littler mold.thats the main concept behind this odd creation for what i have researched anyways!

DH and i are both super sick with a nasty cold! All i wanted was comfort food last night so i bought GF chicken an rice soup and a loaf of GF bread and made grilled cheese. I know GF bread is not WB however it was better to have that then crappy wheat food and made me feel a little better.

Have a great weekend everyone- off to the city to get chia seeds and zucchini to make a pasta dish but sub the zucchini for the actual pasta. Can you share your meat pie white castle recipe?

maryshady
02-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Billie-Hope you both feel better soon. I know when I was sick last month all I could eat was soup. I can only have decaf coffee, wonder if that comes in a decaf version. I started putting a tsp of coconut oil in my coffee again. Will up it a little at a time. Feeling like I need more fat. Weight has been the same for 4 weeks now and I still have around 12 lbs to go just to be in the normal range for my height. Plus each morning when I wake up I have a slight pain in the back of my head and feel kind of crappy. I don't have all the energy everyone talks about.

How much fruit do you eat. I miss eating fruit!

Billster
02-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Thanks Mary i hope i feel better soon too! All the girls in my department are sick as well! Decaf coffee will work just as well too! I have just been using normal coffee and it works just as well (the good beans is just the info/ science behind the reason as to why it works so well, have not used good beans yet so i do not have anything to compare it to just yet).

Fruit oh how i miss it! I have max 2 servings. Most days just 1 about 10 berries in unsweetened greek yogurt with a few tbs ground flax and 2 tbs chia seeds. However yesterday i ate two grapefruits! Trying to gets lots of vit c in me! Most days its just 10 blackberries. Summer will be hard- cherries and watermelon!!!

deetermined2
02-24-2013, 01:45 PM
Hi, all!

Welcome, Amarantha2!

Hope you're feeling better, Billster.

I heard magnesium and vitamin C work well for the big "C". I know I always have to watch my magnesium levels. I can tell when I've skipped taking it - my guts, my muscles and even my skin. Most women have a magnesium deficiency.

In terms of organic coffee I've been buying Newman's Own. Not sure about the mold but my guess is it's not bad.

My one pound loss vanished. Back to the same old weight. I understand your frustration at not losing, maryshady.

Billster
02-24-2013, 03:59 PM
Had to let you ladies know- so i have only been taking chia seeds for two days! Well even though i am really sick with a nasty cold and been in bed since Friday i made a shake with the seeds this morning as my throat needed something cold, i feel full of evergy! I feel as if i shouldnt be taking the day for self care to get better but cleaning my house! Very odd for me as i have extreamly low iron and most days my energy is used just by going to work. So not sure if its a combo that the iron pills are helping and the chia seeds but whatever it is its awesome! Ill keep you all posted on my review of chia!

deetermined2
02-26-2013, 05:10 PM
Billster,

In terms of the flax seed cereal, I found that the high fiber with the minimal liquid called for in the recipe had less than optimal effects. After that first day, I've been adding more liquid to the flax seed (50% to 100% more), and have noticed the beneficial effects of additional fiber. If you do actually double the amount of fluid, you will have to cook the mixture longer. I generally just use water to mix in, then have a tad of cream on top when it is done.

After becoming discouraged and eating a few more carbs than usual, my reappearing pound disappeared once again. How counterintuitive!

maryshady
03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Finally the scale has moved!!! Down another .8 lbs! Flat at 160. The 150's stay very elusive!!! My dh is doing well (even though he cheats quite a bit!) He really wanted to do this for the weight loss and misses carbs horribly. He is down a total of 18 lbs! He only has about 5 more to lose. I was hoping he would catch on to this WOL but fearing he will go back to eating more carbs once he reaches goal. Oh well, each person has to do it for themselves.

Made oven fried chix tenders last night. They were delish. Dipped in egg then a mixture of flax meal & parm cheese sprinkled s & P, then poured about 2 Tbs of butter on them. Baked on a cookie sheet at 425 for 12 mins on each side. Delish!

Billster-How to you eat chia seeds? Saw someone soaked them in water and they grew??? lol! Scary! Glad you are feeling more energetic.

Determined-I always add more milk to that flax cereal. It is like paste if not. Take heart the process works. Add more fat if you are not losing not more carbs :). that is what I did this week and it worked. I was stuck at same weight for 4 weeks now. I have at least 12 lbs for me to be in the "normal" weight range for my height. Started adding the coconut oil to coffee again, cooking eggs in coconut oil (was afraid to do this but there is absolutely no coconut taste to the egg. They tasted better than usual!

Have an awesome Friday!!! :)

Billster
03-01-2013, 11:02 AM
I have chia seeds in many ways- in a smoothie, in flax seed cereal or yogurt (greek unsweetened).

I have upped my fat as well... it helps keep me fuller longer! Bullet proof coffe still awesome! lol On a hunt for MTC oil!

Billster
03-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Ladies! How are we all doing??? My scale is STILL at a stand still - errrr! However im trying not to worry too much about it! Iron levels are going up slowly but still up! Cholesterol has dropped dramatically! From normal high to normal low levels! Woot woot! DH blood pressure is now normal! Our doc said 4 months ago he had 6 months to improve it otherwise BP meds (his whole family was on BP meds by 30!!!!) the health perks of WB out weighs weight loss any day!!!

deetermined2
03-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Billster,

If you have gone on Clomid and are not gaining weight you are doing well. When I was on it, it was a constant battle not to gain 2 pounds per month. At the time I had a gain and loss of the same 2 pounds every month for months on end. When I stopped exercising the second half of the month to try to improve fertility, since at the time they were recommending no exercise after in vitro even though we weren't trying that, the 2 pounds stuck. So no loss on Clomid is still doing well.

Billster
03-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Not on clomid yet.... Have to have a HGC test first (dye test to see if there are blockages first). I think its the iron myself! I have to take 3x300 mg a day as its super low! I think once my iron is up ill start to ovulate again and then bam it will happen! Posivite thinking of course! I didnt realize that you body will stop ovulating if you have low iron until a few months ago.

deetermined2
03-10-2013, 05:49 PM
Billster,

If they are giving you a hysterosalpingogram (I'm not sure of exact term), make sure that you have someone to drive you home and also make sure to wear something very loose. My doctor's office forgot to tell me. I spent a lot of time sitting on a hospital locker room floor because I became so dizzy (grossness). I also had to abandon the car I drove there, and had to get a ride home, then retrieve the car later. Another OB/GYN said it may have been a reaction to the dye, but that he always told his patients to wear loose clothing and have a ride set up.

I don't want to scare you. I think that my experience is unusual. The loose clothing part is necessary though. Afterwards, I could no longer zip or button the jeans I wore there. Thank goodness my shirt was long!

Billster
03-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Good to know! Thank you! I have to drive 4 hours one way to have the test done-so thank you for the heads up!

Billster
03-10-2013, 11:17 PM
Dee- also personal question and please dont feel like you have to answer.... But did any of the test show any answers for you? Were you able to have kids after all? I get so upset about all of this and none of my friends ever had issues so they dont understand what we are going through. I try to talk to my mom about it and she just keeps saying stay positive and it will happen but its so hard to stay positive!!

deetermined2
03-11-2013, 05:51 PM
Billster,

No answers. We were about to do in vitro when I heard about someone looking for a family to adopt her newborn. So we put in vitro on hold. Though that adoption actually fell through, it changed our mind set. We wound up pursuing adoption instead. We ended up adopting a beautiful baby girl. And were able to pick her up at the hospital when she was only 48 hours old.

I know you mentioned progesterone. Both my younger sisters needed progesterone support while pregnant.

I went through all of this a while ago, so hopefully they have more answers now.

In the states, there is an infertility support group called Resolve. That helped enormously. I don't know if they have anything like that by you. Every one of the six couples in our support group wound up with a baby - some through medical intervention and some through adoption. and one through both, (an adoption initially and the second through medical intervention after they discovered why she had miscarried previously).

Meeting people who were also going through infertility really helped. Most people don't realize the emotional impact of not being able to have a baby when you want, when everyone else doesn't seem to have a problem.

If you would like support and would rather not do it on this board, private message me.

Dee

maryshady
03-16-2013, 11:44 AM
Sorry I haven't been around lately. My middle daughter is in Australia for business and can only call me in the morning as it is night where she is. That is usually the time I spend on the computer. Anyway still chugging along here. Still no more weight loss but am cutting all sugar on Monday to hopefully lose this last 10-15 lbs by summer. Bought that swerve sugar sub so many rave about. I find it is not sweet at all and has a weird cooling effect. Guess I will continue to use a little equal each day for coffee and have to give up me tea. Can't stand artificial sweeteners in tea.

How are you both doing?

Tonz
03-18-2013, 06:20 PM
I just bought the book and was SO excited to see that there was a board about this plan. I can't wait to read all of your entries and get started. I'm still reading the book. Congratulations to all who have lost weight and I look forward to "talking" with you soon!

Tonz
03-18-2013, 08:19 PM
Has anyone gone to the trouble of creating a shopping list of WB items that you wouldn't mind sharing? ALso, I think I've read that there are some ready-made dressings, dips, etc. that can be used.

I guess I'm lazy and would love a list of know dressings, dips, condiments, etc. so I won't have to spend hours at the grocery store reading labels. THANKS.

maryshady
03-20-2013, 08:26 AM
Tonz-Welcome to the WB way of life!! I love it. I haven't created a shopping list of anything. I just make sure to buy plenty of meat, veggies, nuts, & cheese! I use ranch dressing (just make sure it has 1 carb or less), for dips I would say buy sour cream and add your own seasonings. I think most commercial ones would have sugar added. I use other condiments sparingly. You can have some ketchup just not too much. I use mustard, soy sauce, worchester sauce all in moderation. There are also a couple of wheat belly pages on facebook if you are a member. Google WB, lo-carb, or paleo recipes and you will find tons of recipes to try new things. Just sub out the sugars in the paleo recipes.

Billster
03-20-2013, 11:23 AM
Sorry Ladies I have not been around I have been super busy! Work is crazy!

Dee- Thank you for everything!

Tonz- As for a grocery list- your going to have to start reading labels period, we all do! The main things I buy every week- eggs, almond milk, veggies, butter, coconut oil, meat, veggies and cheese.

My scale is still at a stand still! However I went shopping over the weekend for my birthday and bought shifts in an XL (was a 1X or 2X) and pants in a size 14!! (was in a 18 in January). So even though my scale is not showing it clearly my clothing is!

Tonz
03-20-2013, 02:49 PM
MaryShady and Billster, thanks so much for responding.

I promise to start reading labels but your comment about 1 carb or less helps a lot. Guess I'm a tad bit lazy and was hoping to rush through grocery store like I normally do. Listing what you typically buy helps also.

Billster, congratulations on the size loss, that is wonderful!

I really do believe in the concept of wheat and gluten free and the book really makes sense. I'm just really going to have to trust that eating full fat, nuts, not count calories, etc. is going to really work and I won't pack on more pounds.

So stay tune and I'll let you know how it goes. Please continue to post your successes as that keeps me going!

Billster
03-20-2013, 04:46 PM
Tonz- my main key advice- get over fat! I didnt eat fat the first bit and weight went up! Started eating fat weight went down! This lifestyle goes against everything we have been taught about healthy eating! But it works but realize results are slow! The fat added keeps you feeling fuller longer! Chia seeds are amazing! I had never heard of them before but are awesome lil super foods! Read labels very carefully! Even pre packed frozen chicken breasts i have found contain wheat! If you have read some of our prior posts there is lots of great info! My husband and i are both 29 and when we started out in the big city most of our income went to rent and we ate a lot of pasta and crap because you got more for you money, now we can afford much more and are repairing the damage wheat did to our bodies! His blood pressure has dropped to normal levels he was at risk of medication 4 months ago, my cholestrol is now normal low was normal high 4 months ago. We both sleep better and over all feel better. My energy is not up yet as i was diagnosed with low iron anemia 4 months ago and that will take time to get back up there. If anything the health perks of WB out number the weight loss! Question ask us and we will help the best we can! Also the facebook WB group is amazing as well!

deetermined2
03-21-2013, 08:50 PM
Welcome, Tonz!

Congrats, Billster! Down 2 sizes is wonderful! I'd much rather look a lot thinner, than weigh less but look like I hadn't lost a pound.

Tonz, I'd add flax seed to the shopping list at this point to make the cereal, though I have been mail ordering that, along with the shredded coconut.

I don't know why it seems so much easier to make the cereal than eggs, when they probably take the same amount of time to make.

I'm still plateauing. Have just ordered one of the supplements that Dr. D recommends if you're stalled. Am waiting impatiently for it to arrive. Will let you know if it helps.

Billster
03-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Dee- what supplements are you talking about?

deetermined2
03-23-2013, 10:58 AM
Billster-

Sea-iodine to help improve thyroid function. However, I would recommend going to Dr. D's blog, to see what he has to say about thyroid supplements and pregnancy, before taking anything. I have heard that eating seaweed itself cannot hurt you because the nutrients are balanced and self-limiting, that your body will get rid of whatever it doesn't need, but supplements are another matter, and you have to be very careful exactly which form you take because of toxicity.

I am also planning on trying a different brand of magnesium, that my sister's health store nutritionist recommended. It is the same brand that Dr. D mentioned for the sea-iodide in the April 8th First for Women.

My sister couldn't find the right brand of sea-iodine at her health food store, but got a different brand along with the magnesium and both her body temp and her energy were up within a day. (Her body temp is ridiculously low usually, 94.5 or so, even though her thyroid blood work comes back "normal".)

maryshady
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
determined-I am the same way. Have always thought I have a malfunctioning thyroid but my blood always tests in the normal range. I have very thin hair, always cold, dry skin, etc. I even got a mild case of frost bite two years ago on my toes from doing a 15 min bus duty each morning. Where can I find out about this Sea-iodide?

Tonz-Listen to Billie. Make sure to get plenty of fat or besides the weight loss problem you will be tired all the time. That was how I was a first until I upped my fat intake.
Billie-Yeah!!! Great news on the clothing size. I feel the same way. Scale is bouncing between 1-1.5 lbs for the last three weeks. i am going to start calculating the carbs I eat thinking somehow I am getting too many. Isn't it strange how different people fit in the same size. When I was in the 170's I was a size 14 (I do carry most of my weight in my belly). At 159-160, I am now a 12 in jeans & a 10 in dress pants.

maryshady
03-23-2013, 03:24 PM
Did you mean iodine?

deetermined2
03-23-2013, 09:18 PM
maryshady,

You're right, it is sea-iodine. The brand he likes is Life Extension. I'll edit my previous post so as not to confuse anyone.

deetermined2
03-24-2013, 12:39 PM
Yeah! Finally down another pound.

Recent changes to diet:
Took L-Glutamine to heal gut (each day, last few days)
Took 2 kelp tablets and 1 selenium (each day, last few days)
Ate a little seaweed
Had one package of shiritaki noodles shared with DH (made from yams only-some are fake)

maryshady,
I too suffer from thinning hair, dry skin, and low body temperature, though I don't usually "feel cold", but DH often says I feel "like ice" when I touch him. So I don't perceive my low body temp - it just is, until I am in contact with him and then I will feel cool.

Tonz
03-24-2013, 04:59 PM
Way to go deetermined2 on the pound lost!

Thanks for all your advise. I'm liking this WOE, so far and doing good. Social events are hard but I've dogged my way through!

Have a great week.

Billster
03-25-2013, 12:45 PM
Dee- Oh not to worry I don’t take anything without talking with my GP first. I have my thyroid tested again and its still normal, I was more curious then anything as to what supplements people were taking.

Tonz
03-25-2013, 03:22 PM
Hey all I have a question about cheese. What I've read is that it must be labeled 'culture' or 'live culture'. And I think I read pretty much block not shredded,etc. I looked at some sliced cheese and the ingredients are: pasteurized milk, cheese culture, salt and enzymes. Some say annatto (color). Is this acceptable?

Billster
03-25-2013, 09:45 PM
Well ill be honest i eat normal cheese! I dont eat much an oz or two every other day. I cant not afford cultured cheese- small brick would cost be around 15+ bucks!

deetermined2
03-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Tonz,

I usually eat Cabot cheddar because at least 2 of the varieties are growth hormone free. There is a little green square on the side that lists this only on some of them. Occasionally, I'll make it to Trader Joe's or the health food store and buy a raw milk cheese which is suppose to be even better for you healthwise. In terms of shredded cheeses, I actually got hold of Sargento's last year, and they stated that they do NOT require their farmers to disclose whether or not they use growth hormones. So now I shred Cabot.

European cheese is growth hormone free. So I buy that sometimes, too.

Billster,
"Normal" for thyroid function is not necessarily optimal. My doctor said that TSH under 3 is normal. However, Dr. D says that number should be under 1.5, and ideally under 1.0. Huge difference!!!

Tonz
03-30-2013, 09:01 AM
Good Morning. Need help from you pros who have been through plateaus and weight gain. I'd be losing rather nicely then all of a sudden I gained a pound, I though OK no need to panic. Well this am I found another one--still not in panic mode but getting there.

I know some of you are going to tell me (and you already did) to add more fat but how to do that?

My typical day is:

Coffee: 1 cup with 1 tsp truvia & splash almond milk

Breakfast:eggs cooked in tsp coconut oil w/ spinach or just boiled eggs plus maybe a healthy slice of cheese

Lunch: salad with veggies, 3-4 oz of protein, cheese, a few nuts, regular salad dressing OR leftovers from night before

Dinner: 3-6 oz of protein (usually cooked with coconut oil in some type of fashion), 1-2 vegetables

Snack: usually handfull of nuts or cheese

I haven't eaten any fruits, wheat, etc. since starting and I must say I feel better and I do love this WOE.

I am eating an awful lot of cheese and nuts, could that be why the weight gain?

Until I receive a reply, I'll go back and re-read all the posts. I do remember one or two of you having this same issue.

HAPPY EASTER ALL!

Billster
03-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Well first thing im going to ask TOM soon? I gain up to 5 lbs during that time and they they go right back away!
Second question are you going to the washroom everyday? Change in diets can back us up and cause a gain.
Nuts- how much are u eating? Those wonderful lil guys are full of carbs! I have a whole 10 nuts a day now... :(
Your snack- what cut the cheese and have veggies and dip or something other then cheese.
This salad dressin you are using- store bought? Toss it! Make your own using oil and spices. Store bought is full of CRAP. Add apme butter to your veggies! Yes butter!

I have not lost a pound in a good 1.5 months and maybe gained one or two (i threw my scale out a few weeks ago- was starting to over focuse on a number, thats all it is a number!) i do however take my measurements every other week an they have always gone down. This weight loss plan is SLOW and even in the book it did say you can have a gain to start with because your body is soaking up all the good stuff you were not getting when you ate crap. I have read a lot pf blogs and groups and to be honest i have found many more people who have not lost or lost very little on this diet compared to the book where it seems lile everyone lost. I have found more people havr felt better, better medical results and overall improved health on thos diet then any other. Theres my food for thought for the day.....sorry if my spelling is a mess replying to
This via my iphone as im heading to the city for the night.

Billster
04-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Sigh... Was at the gym this morning i have been going twice a week swimming and decided to try out the scale- up 8lbs from the last time i weighed myself 6 weeks ago!!!!! I know TOM and stress are playing a HUGE part of this! I have my Dye test on wed and im really stressed out ago the news as well as my husband way laid off this week, so i know those two things are stressing me out. DH should only be laid off a few weeks but it still worries me as Alberta is a very expensive place to live. On a side note i made the white castle pie recipe it was SO good!!! DH even had thirds! Hope you all had a happy easter!

deetermined2
04-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Billster,

Good luck tomorrow!

Billster
04-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks Dee! Hope you all had a great day ~Billie~

Billster
04-03-2013, 07:39 PM
Well the dye results are back- structure looks great, right tub is clear, left is blocked! However this test has been known to clear out blocked tubes so fingers crossed for a future positive!

deetermined2
04-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Hi, all!

My weight is stuck once again, but unfortunately this is normal for me. I had hoped taking the sea-iodine would make a difference, but so far nothing. In the meantime my hubby has been eating more to maintain his weight, and he's just lost another 4 pounds.

I tried yoga yesterday for the first time since I finished college, (which was forever ago), and this afternoon I am definitely feeling the sore muscles. I probably should have tried something at home before taking a class.

Billster, my mom was pregnant one month after having her tubes blown, (they didn't use dye back then just air.) Here's hoping!

Billster
04-09-2013, 09:51 PM
Thanks Dee for all your support and sharing, it means a lot to me! So here is to hoping! If not i start Clomid next month!

So i have changed my diet a fair amount in the last week and down 3lbs! 80% of my food is raw and 20% cooked. I have a shake in the morning with coconut oil, almond butter, almond milk or coconut milk, some berries and spinich or kale blend it all up- there is breakfast and im good till at least 1pm and i have that at 8am. Lunch is a small salad or chopped raw veggies or 1/2 an apple and 1-2 oz of cheese. Dinner is about 6oz of cooked meat and again some raw veg in a salad or chopped up. Lots of water through out the day, tried coconut water for the first time was too full to eat dinner! If you look for coconut water get the organic stuff there is no added sugar!

Tonz
04-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Billster, THANKS so much for responding to my question and sorry it took so long to respond. I took a girls trip to NYC and as my usual trend I gained 5 pounds so I'm back to square 1 - sigh! I've got to stop that cycle.

As far as TOM I don't have those any more and I do take frequent bathroom breaks. My niece was on the NYC trip and she's been eating this way for a long time and she shared lots of useful information.

Billster, when you mentioned the carbs in nuts and went to look at the 100 calories packs and I was shocked with the amount of carbs. I'll be doing the same as you now -- about 15 almonds a day.

I'm throwing out the cheese too and going to try to do as little dairy as possible. My splurge will be splash of milk in 1 cup of coffee a day and I may still cook dishes with it but not have it as a snack. I'm going to make the ranch dressing that's in the WB book and have it with vegetables, as you suggested.

Billister, congratulations on the 3lb loss. I think I will try the 80% raw and 20% cooked. Can you PLEASE share your shake recipe - approximately how much of each item you put in it? Will a regular bullet chop up the spinach/kale? Does the shake taste like spinach/kale? I might make a really aweful face drinking a green shake LOL

Have you still been trying the coconut water? That's amazing to think that it might keep me full.

I am doing this plan for improved health but I sure hope I lose weight too! I think it's wonderful that you are losing inches although we are all want to see that scale move. I have to keep telling myself, it doesn't matter how much I weigh as long as I'm in ___ size. And yes, everyone in the book does seem like they are losing and I appreciate your honesty!!!

DEE, keep up the good eating habits and I'm sure that you will lose some weight. I know how discouraging it is for our men to lose more than us!

Lately, it seems like the two of you are the only ones that comment on this board and I appreciate you comments! Billster, can you recommend other boards that may be more active?

And last, Billster, I hope we'll be hearing real soon that a little bambino is on its way!

Have a great day!

deetermined2
04-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Hi, all!

Like you Tonz, I should try to limit my nuts and cheese to see how much difference that makes.

Congrats on the loss, Billster. I may have to try to eat more like you do.

I was reading an article recently that said that some of us need our "cells to be bathed" in micro-nutrients in order to lose weight. That we need to get lots of veg and some fruit and one of the best ways is through green shakes. On another thread I met someone who said she had lost about 14 pounds(?) the previous summer by juicing, but was stuck in plateau-land with me on Belly Fat Cure for months on end. She disappeared from BFC shortly after she mentioned her success on juicing. I always wondered if she went back to juicing after her post.

I bought some coconut water but haven't tried it yet. Hopefully, I will find it as filling as you do, Billster.

Billster
04-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Tonz- My shakes well I don’t really measure to be honest! I use approx ½ cup of fruit- normally frozen berries, around a cup of kale or spinach, ¾ c of almond milk, and 2 tbs coconut oil and 2 tbs chia seeds. If you are not use to having raw coconut oil I would suggest using a small amount and work your way up as some people get very nauseous when they have too much for the first time. A magic bullet would mix it up well, I just use a normal blender. As for tasting the veggies the berries cut out the taste of them. My co workers think my shake is gross and have no clue how I could drink something of that colour, but it works for me! Yes still drinking coconut water, I work for the Canadian lottery corp and talk on the phone all day long dealing with people so I find the coconut water keeps me more hydrated then normal water and it keeps me from snacking in the morning. As for other groups… there was one on Facebook however that one has had zero activity the past month. My personal option on that is everyone started this diet in January (new years resolutions) and has since gone back to old habits. I do this for health no weight loss, however weight loss is an added bonus!

Dee- I don’t think juicing is the best to be honest, as when you juice your lose all the pulp of the fruit and veg which is where all the good stuff is! Better off blending the crap out of it and drink the pulp.

So here is some back ground info on me- My parents raised us as vegetarians as they felt meat was full of hormones and just not good for us. In our teens they let us eat meat if we choose to. I didn’t have a whole lot of interest in it or fast foods etc. 8 years ago when I was 21 I moved half way across Canada to Calgary Alberta for an excellent social worker job, well I learned that Alberta is beef capital of Canada- it was so hard to find and not eat meat! Plus I worked long high stress hours and found the joys of takeout food! Gained 100lbs within months! Got married a few years back and came to the issue of infertility and hormone imbalance. So I did a number of diets as my main focus was to lose the weight, mind set has changed to be healthy. My mom is still very much a health freak, she is now a raw food vegan and has been for about 2 years. She just had a checkup done and is in excellent shape (blood work etc). I do not want to go to that extreme but want to incorporate some of her diet into mine. So that’s where the 80/20 has come from. My main goal is to have breakfast/lunch/ snack raw fruits and veggies and dinner cooked, I’m going to try this for a full 30 days and see how my body adapts to that. In the past 5 days of doing this I have not felt deprived, ate more fruit then WB suggests and have slept less and not felt tired for the first time in a long time…. And as of this morning down 4lbs. The only dairy I have had is cream in my coffee, that’s the next thing I would like to knock out is the coffee altogether! I’ll keep you posted on my experiment

Billster
04-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Also I'm making raw food bars this weekend- lemon coconut! We will see how they turn out as they are WB friendly!.
Have a great week-end everyone!
~Billie~

Tonz
04-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Billie, Thanks for the guesses on the recipe. I think I'll at least try it and I can tweak. I've heard chia seeds is a must have item.

That makes sense with people starting diet at the first of the year and not sticking. So Dee and I are counting on you to stick to this board :-) I haven't been with WB long, but to me the concept just makes sense. I'm not saying it's easy -- cause darn it's not -- but I'm hoping for a lifestyle change not a just another diet. And I hope to lose weight AND inches on it.

The people that I know that have adopted WB and/or Paleo (which is somewhat similiar) as a lifestyle are slim and health in excellent medical shape. I want to be one of them! And again, the concept just makes sense to me.

I'd love to hear about your bars but I'm afraid I'll like them so much that I'll eat the entire recipe.

I'm going to a wedding this afternoon. I sure hope I'll find things I can eat. I'm going to limit myself to 1 glass of wine!

Have a great day Billie and Dee.

Tonz
04-13-2013, 10:09 AM
Here I am already breaking my rule :-)

So I just scrambled some eggs with salsa, coconut oil and spinach. I'm trying to not do dairy except a splash in coffee. On WB would eggs be considered a dairy or a protein?

deetermined2
04-13-2013, 10:55 AM
Thanks, Billster. Glad to hear it is working so well for you!!

If they turn out well, please let us know how you make the lemon coconut raw food bars.

deetermined2
04-13-2013, 11:11 AM
Hi, Tonz!

Sorry! I missed seeing your posts, must not have refreshed the site before posting, and it doesn't refresh itself automatically with my browser.

To me eggs are protein not dairy. Dairy consists of anything milk based (milk, butter, cheese, cream), whether from cows, goats or sheep. Can't imagine that WB rules are different.

Tonz
04-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your response Dee. I was hoping it would be protein.

Now I have another silly question. Today for lunch I decided to do a little coconut oil and balsalmic vinegar for a salad dressing. Well in case y'all haven't experienced this yet, learn from my mistake LOL. Do not put coconut oil in the microwave! It super explodes! I put about a tablespoon in a small pyrex dish for 45 seconds at 10% power and it exploded after a very short time.

So, how do you melt your coconut oil?

Tonz
04-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Boy is this a learning experience! I usually just open a store bought dressing but Billie told me to toss all that!

deetermined2
04-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi,

At least one of Dr. D's recipes is made with sour cream and mayo, plus herbs. Since that sounded more like a veggie dip to me than a dressing, I substituted a little EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for the mayo. (But, unfortunately sour cream is dairy.)

The reason for avoiding bottled stuff is that it is often made with soybean oil, and over 90% of the soybeans in this country are GMO (genetically modified organisms) and contain pesticides and other junk, (along with sugar or corn syrup).

I haven't tried to melt coconut oil other than when cooking. You might be able to put it in a small cup, then put the cup into a bowl containing water that has just been boiled, then let it sit. (Make sure both items are able to take heat.) That's how I would attempt it.

Billster
04-13-2013, 06:47 PM
Chia seeds are a must have! They are awesome lil super foods! When the get wet the form a gel around them and are known for pulling the sludge out of your intestines and bowel. My husband loves 3 tbs soaked in 1c almond milk overnight, turns into a tapioca pudding.

Coconut oil i eat it in its solid raw state or cook with it, never melted it. Maybe use a larger dish and microwave it 5 seconds at a time.

As for salad dressing- bottle stuff is pure crap! Full of chemicals! Better to make your own. Always have a bottle of olive oil on hand to do so! I had some leftover guacamole this week (use it for a veg dip) and put about 4tbs in a large bowl with 1/4c oil olive an mixed it like crazy to thin it out- best salad dressing ever! Another one is olive oil, dijon mustard, parsley, basil, pepper and sea salt. I dont know measurements as i taste and add as i go along!

I have tried Dr.D salad dressing with sour cream a few months back and hated it! It was a veggie dip not a dressing. Avocado oil makes a wonderful dressing as well but i dont buy it often as its pretty costly (500ml for 18$). There is also a wonderful roasted garlic organic olive oil i found to and its sooo good but dont eat that one at work as i'd knock over my co-workers with my breath lol

Making spaghetti squash and meat balls for dinner tonight! Have not made my raw bars yet as I'm snowed in with 35 cms of snow and need a lemon to make them and the closest grocery store is 35kms away!

Billster
04-16-2013, 08:43 AM
Lemon coconut bars are amazing! Super easy too!

In a food processor add-
1 1/2c soft pitted dates
1c unsweetened coconut
1 tbs pure vanilla extract
1c raw almonds or 1 c pre ground almonds
Lemon zest and juice from lemon

Dump mixture into pan lined with wax paper. With ur hands pat down and put in fridge for at least an hour. Mmmmm!

As of monday and one complete week of eating like this i have lost 6.0lbs.

deetermined2
04-16-2013, 08:09 PM
Congrats, Billie! Six pounds in a week, that's awesome!

Also, thanks for the new recipe.

I tried the shake recipe for 2 days but went back to the flaxseed cereal when I ran out of kale this morning. With results like yours, I'll have to make sure I keep the house stocked.

I also tried the chia pudding. It worked pretty well.

My stomach seems slightly flatter, maybe.

How are you doing, Tonz?

Tonz
04-17-2013, 08:39 AM
OK Billie, you rock!!!! 6 lbs in 1 week is awesome. Looks like you definitely found something that works for you! After reading this awesome news, I definitely need to go to the grocery store and try that smoothie and stock refrigerator for the 80/20 rule. I've been doing somewhat OK. I've lost 3 of the 5 lbs I gained while on the NYC trip.

It seems like my husband (or just me) has been traveling a lot lately. We have another trip planned for next week. We are doing an Amtrak trip to the Grand Canyon for our 33rd anniversary. We fly to Los Angeles and stay 1 night and next day tour the stars home and then that evening board the Amtrak for overnight stay. Then we're at the Grand Canyon for 2 nights (3 days) and board Amtrak for return to Los Angeles. We've never traveled with Amtrak and are exciting, however, vacations play **** on - can I say it - no, not diets, lifestyle changes!

So I would appreciate any travel advice you experts have! I know I can order burgers w/o buns and request no bread, etc. but would love some other tips.

Dee - 'slightly' flatter stomach = AWESOME!!

Ladies, thanks for checking in on me!

P.S. Would also love to hear tips on quick to go foods. Yesterday I ended up being out running errands longer than I intended. Ended up having a greek chicken swarma salad which I'm sure there was something in there that wasn't exactly appropriate. But then, better than french fries from one of those chains>

Have an awesome day ladies.

Tonz
04-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Dee, I know Billie lives in Canada how about you?

deetermined2
04-17-2013, 08:55 PM
I'm in New Hampshire.

The Grand Canyon is on my "bucket list", though I haven't figured out when we'll get there. Have a great vacation! Celebrating your 33rd is awesome.

Billster
04-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks ladies! I was pretty shocked at my first week results as well. DH is eating more 60/40 and lost another 5 lbs.... Ugh MEN! Lol

I travel to the city 1 hour each way for groceries (or most of them anyways) as the closest town has very limited selections. So when i head in its an easy 4-6 hours.... I always have a zip lock bag of raw seeds and nuts with me and i cut up a cucumber to take with me. Traveling i would suggest going to grocery stores- up here most have a deli that has fresh salads, always ask for the gluten free menu as most restaurants carry them now. At the very least continue gluten free and worry about following WB when you get back!

I finally broke down and bought a food processor this week! Have wanted one for a long time and was at Walmart yesterday on my lunch break and found one on clearance and an amazing deal so i had to test it out and made guacamole last night! DH had his with rice crackers and i was stumped what to use for myself- cucumber! Who knew they would be such a great replacement for crackers!

Its a VERY happy day in our household today (no- not expecting yet...) But my dear sweet wonderful mother sent me a package... Well it was something i have wanted for 15 years since i was 14! A vita mix blender! I am so darn excited! If you dont know what they are google it! Throw all ur veggies in an 6 mins last warm raw soup!

Tonz
04-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Isn't it aggreviating how men can lose so quickly? My husband has lost 30 pounds since February 1 and he only needed to lose about 25. That's my dream!

Billie, you will be expecting before you know it! I've heard a vita mix blender is the premier of blenders. I know you will enjoy it. And how thoughtful of your mom because I know they are very pricey!

Billie, I looked at your weight thingy and you're almost half way to your goal weight. Way to go!

I tried your shake recipe this morning and it was OK and I will try it again. I added a teaspoon of Truvia as I wasn't sure it would be sweet enough. My, my it is not a shake that you can make and drink/eat on the run. Those little darn chia seeds found every little crevis in my mouth. You definitely need a toothbrush after consuming that. LOL

Both of you probably are still having cold weather. I know Billie said it recently snowed. It's hot, hot, hot and very, very humid here in Louisiana. THanks the good Lord for air conditioner! I couldn't live without it.

Well y'all (a truly southern word) have a great day!

deetermined2
04-18-2013, 08:36 PM
We've just had 2 days of 60 degree weather, and the daffodils are starting to bloom. This is a very late spring for us this year. My magnolia buds went from barely there to lots of pink showing all within those 2 days.

My hubby had a vita mixer from before we were married. Know it worked well for frozen drinks back then. May have to rescue it from the farm and see how it fares with veggie grinding. What a great gift from your Mom, Billie!

I wish our bodies lost weight the way our men's do.

Billster
04-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Well im VERY jealous of the nice weather both of you are having! Its railing here today when i took the dogs out- i was dancing in the rain i was so happy it wasnt snow! Fyi i think my dogs think im nuts lol

I had about a dozen jalapeños i needed to use up again... So i made DH GF jalapeño poppers, stuffed them with cream cheese and wrapped them in bacon- in the oven till the bacon was crisp- i had two they were so darn good! Next time ill remember to put parchment paper down as it was not easy to clean the pan!

Tonz- as for the shakes if you dont find them sweet enough cut back on the kale and work your way into more, i started with very little then worked my way up. As for chia seeds i dont find they get stuck in my teeth, again i make a shake before i leave for work and drink it at my desk so almost an hour an a half after i made it and the have gelled up by that time.

This morning was the first time in a long time my iron pills made me feel nauseous ! I normally take it with a huge glass of water in the morning an wait about an hour before i put anything else into my system and i have never had an issue- today i had to eat an apple about 20 mins later as i felt like i was going to vomit!

Dee if you have a vita mix use it! I made an amazing mushroom soup in 5 mins last night! Im in complete love with it! However my only dog fall is Harley our 5 year old boarder collie is scared of the thing and barked the whole time it was on!

deetermined2
04-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Just went on Amazon to see what a vitamix goes for, and I'm floored. I knew they were expensive but didn't realize just how outrageous they are. Wow! (Can tell my hubby bought that back in his bachelor days, these days I don't think he'd spring for one.) Too bad Harley is not a fan. My dog used to hate the vacuum cleaner. And my last dog used to bark when Thriller came on. Hopefully Harley will get used to it.

The GF jalapeno poppers sound good.

Down another pound as of yesterday. Yeah!!!

Billster
04-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Way to go Dee on another pound down!!! The shocking part is Vita Mixes have come down in price!!!! The one i have was 950$ canadian plus shipping about 3 years ago! My next kitchen goodie i was is a food dehydrator!

patns
04-26-2013, 11:08 PM
Billie, I am starting a juicing experiment this week. I just thought I'd mention I am using some juicing recipes that takes the pulp from the juiced veggies for soup. That way you get the pulp and there is no waste.

Billster
04-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Patns- i have nothing against juicing- so please dont get me wrong! I have found that a lot of people waste the good stuff (pulp) which is where all the fiber is! I would love to hear what pulp you are using in soups! I have made so really bad ones this week!!!!!

Made more raw bars this week!! Added some raw hemp seeds to them and they were so good! Down another three this week! Hoping this will help me NOT gain week as i start my first cycle of Clomid next week... Lets hope im not too much of a nut job when im on it!!!!!

Billster
04-27-2013, 01:58 AM
Patns- were you not on the 3FC IP form for a long time?

deetermined2
04-30-2013, 11:02 PM
Hi, all!

Welcome, patns!

Congrats on the additional 3 lbs., Billie!!!

I've been away. Have been afraid to check the scale, since we returned home last night. My hubby who had been eating to maintain because he had been losing so much, was up 10 lbs. in the week we were gone. Scary!

Billster
05-01-2013, 09:58 PM
Thanks Dee!

Still just eating cooking meats at dinner time, everything else is raw. Down to only some cream in my coffee- have not been able to kick that just yet! I have been hooked on jicama salads! I love that stuff! Wit avocado dressing! Mmmm

Day 3 of clomid and so far still feel fine. Mornings im a bit more crabby then normal but that could be due to work too as its VERY stressful right now! No weight gain!

deetermined2
05-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Hi!

Billie, besides the 2 pound a month weight gain if I didn't exercise a lot while on clomid, I also found that I was more emotional and had to make sure I had enough B vitamins. The good side effect from the hormonal impact of clomid was that it made "trying" even more fun.

I have to get back on track diet-wise. Still haven't checked the scale. My husband seemed surprised that I didn't want to know the impact of our vacation, but I don't. I'll check soon, once I'm eating slightly better. I never ate bread or anything like that, but there may have been soy containing gluten in one or two things I had, or in things that I didn't suspect contained it. It is much harder eating gluten free when travelling in a foreign country, where English is not the primary language. That and the place we stayed was an all inclusive including drinks, and I mixed a little rum with my coconut. That may have had a bigger impact on my weight. Though we were doing stairs a lot. The resort was set on a hillside, and the main dining room was down one flight and up four flights from our room. No elevator. And we could either go up and down a hill to get to and from the beach or climb up and down more stairs, we usually opted for the hill.

patns
05-04-2013, 01:08 AM
Patns- were you not on the 3FC IP form for a long time?

Yes Billie I was on IP and lost 39 pounds. I had actually lost 40 before that over several years by cutting out wheat long before wheat belly was all the rage. I gained back 5 pounds instantly on phase 3 of IP then 5 over Christmas and have been fighting that 10 pounds all winter.
IP just didn't seem to kick in second time around. It seems my body had adjusted to it. Plus I don't like the artificial ingredients in it. I did it with alternatives I didn't go to a clinic.

So I am trying with juicing for breakfast and for snack plus two Paleo type meals a day.

As for the pulp I am not creative; I just throw some of it in the Paleo broth I make from soup bones. I actually throw quite a bit of it into the juice itself too.

There are lots more recipes for soups etc in the book I am reading. I will share any that I try and think are not bad.

But I'm thinking some are likely going to turn out like the ones you weren't pleased with.

There are some great suggestions on the net about adding the pulp to bread and muffin recipes. With wheat not an option for me that is not going to happen but they look yummy.
Glad to hear from a fellow Albertan!

Novus
05-04-2013, 07:53 AM
Guess what I got at a yard sale yesterday? Wheat Belly and the Wheat Belly Cookbook, for $1 each. :D I've been eating wheat free since the first of the year, but I'm definitely interested in reading the author's insights into the importance of a wheat free diet.

deetermined2
05-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Hi, all!

Welcome, Novus! What great finds!

I finally braved the scale and was relieved to discover that it is unchanged from before vacation. Yeah!!! Though I think some of my weight must have shifted slightly. I think I have a little bit more muffin, though my hubby says it's a little more belly, both of which should be remedied by eating cleaner.

patns, I had the same experience with Atkins. I lost 20 pounds more than 15 years ago on Atkins and gained it all back and more. (When I went to reintroduce wheat, because I had cut it out almost completely because of its carb count, I discovered that I have a wheat intolerance.) When I went on Atkins a second time, my body refused. My sister had the same experience with Atkins that I did.

(Yes, to any Atkiners who see this, Atkins has become healthier in the meantime and I know it isn't that far off from this, but I think I may have reacted to some of the artificial ingredients that used to be (or still are?) in some of the foods. Anyway, for whatever reason it didn't work at all for me the second time around.)

Daimere
05-05-2013, 06:47 AM
Hey there. I was reading an article in Prevention about how gluten could explain brain fog, psoriasis, and some other things that ail me. So I checked out Wheat Belly from the library. I'm slowly reading it at work and it's really interesting. I think after a camping trip, I may try going gluten free to see if it might help. I don't like bread. My only "big" carb (that's not junk food) is pasta and couscous. I work nights and sometimes I'm so tired no matter how much sleep I get. If it's been the gluten all this time making me so tired no matter what, it'd be great.

Billster
05-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Patz- i did IP in a clinic and solo! I was able to lose 60lbs on it on a short time, found out i was pregnant and quit. Ate the same way but with whole foods (long story short, loss the pregnancy) and gained all the weight i lost plus an extra 20 within 4 months. Went on it again lost 20 but had tests run and my hormones were so out of balance my doctor contacted the IP clinic and found out what was in the food etc and told me told me to stop ASAP. He was not impressed with the diet at all. So here i am on WB but have change my diet a bit more and eat 80% raw food diet 20% cooked which is normally some meat at dinner. Never felt better!

Dee- i think my emotions have finally balanced out! It was a roller-coaster for a few days! Happy news to stay the same after a vacation!!

I sprouted some quinoa this weekend! I had no idea it could be done! Added 3 tbs to a salad last night! It was SO good! Made a raw chili yesterday (bean and meat free) for lunch this week as my salad are starting to get boring!!!! Scale has stayed the same since mid week but im guessing its the clomid!

Daimere and novis- welcome!

patns
05-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Patz- i did IP in a clinic and solo! I was able to lose 60lbs on it on a short time, found out i was pregnant and quit. Ate the same way but with whole foods (long story short, loss the pregnancy) and gained all the weight i lost plus an extra 20 within 4 months. Went on it again lost 20 but had tests run and my hormones were so out of balance my doctor contacted the IP clinic and found out what was in the food etc and told me told me to stop ASAP. He was not impressed with the diet at all. So here i am on WB but have change my diet a bit more and eat 80% raw food diet 20% cooked which is normally some meat at dinner. Never felt better!

Dee- i think my emotions have finally balanced out! It was a roller-coaster for a few days! Happy news to stay the same after a vacation!!

I sprouted some quinoa this weekend! I had no idea it could be done! Added 3 tbs to a salad last night! It was SO good! Made a raw chili yesterday (bean and meat free) for lunch this week as my salad are starting to get boring!!!! Scale has stayed the same since mid week but im guessing its the clomid!

Daimere and novis- welcome!

You are doing great!

Novus
05-06-2013, 09:35 AM
I think the thing I'm finding most enlightening so far is the impact certain gluten free products can have on weight loss because of how they impact insulin. I've done wheat free before and lost weight and felt great, but as soon as I added gluten free products into the diet, the weight loss stalled and I didn't feel nearly as healthy.

So I'm wondering if my issue isn't only wheat but other grains as well. I'm interested to experiment with bean and nut flours and see how my body reacts. My cousin works for a health food distributor and gave me 3 pounds of almonds so I'm going to make almond flour and bake something with it (possibly these muffins (http://detoxinista.com/2012/06/raspberry-chocolate-chip-muffins-grain-free/)).

deetermined2
05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Hi, all!

Welcome, Daimere!

Novus, in regard to your comment about other grains, I think they may have an impact. too, at least on me. I think part of it may be the insulin effect. I think in the case of oats, which used to be my fallback, there is often cross-contamination with gluten, unless you specifically find gluten free.

After my husband got on the scale this morning and told me that he had lost all 10 of the pounds that he had gained over vacation, I decided to brave the scale again. I'm down 3 pounds!!!!!! For me that is huge. I have not lost anything like that in this short of a period of time, (since Saturday). There were many months when I hadn't lost 1 pound, in spite of being gluten free and watching everything that went in my mouth.

This is my lowest weight in almost 8 years!

Daimere
05-08-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't have the major issues that a lot of people complain about. But I do have psoriasis, joint issues, and what not which is why I'm tempted to try wheat free for a while. The items on pages 233-237 are only regarding people that need to eliminate all trace elements of gluten? Obviously since I'm not caelic, I don't have to worry so much about deli meats, curry seasoning and what not that may have traces? I really like those items and was going to be sad not to have it!

deetermined2
05-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Hi, Daimere,

I was surprised to discover I had a wheat intolerance. I initially noticed my sinuses got a little stuffier when I ate wheat, and that I had a little more gas. The last time I ate it, I felt a bit queasy. So I gave it up. I was very pleasantly surprised to discover that the knee I had injured playing tennis no longer hurt. I had been on Advil for months and after giving up wheat, the pain was gone within a week. Do I think I have celiac? I don't know. To discover whether you have celiac, you have to eat wheat or other gluten for a while to see if you have antibodies. I had been wheat free for a while before I learned that, so I can't be tested without first going back on wheat and gluten. I haven't bothered.

deetermined2
05-16-2013, 09:43 PM
There is a Dr. Davis talk that is temporarily available at

http://7days7docs.com/welcome

It is only available for 24 hours.

How is everyone doing?

Billster
05-21-2013, 03:14 PM
Hey Everyone! Hope you are all doing well! Sorry have not been around the last bit, been super busy packing and getting ready to move next month! No more 45 min drives to work!!!! Hit up the first farmers market of the year and got some amazing beets! They made the best salad ever!

deetermined2
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
Hi!

Billster, moving is always a hassle, but the shorter commute sounds great! I've only gotten into beets recently. I was surprised to find out how good they can be. I found some organic ones and threw them in my blender shakes. The shake color when mixed with greens and blueberries wasn't pretty though.

I've got a one pound creep up on the scale. Will have to be more vigilant.