Ideal Protein Diet - IP Weekend Chat Sat/Sun December 29/30, 2012

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 01:43 AM
:welcome3:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html)

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

sonyainva
12-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Morning everyone, just started the day with a 20 minute run, body for life.

Enjoying a well earned mango rtd

Cindy56
12-29-2012, 08:35 AM
I'm so frustrated with only a 0.7 loss for the past 2 weeks. I know that any loss is a loss, but it's still disappointing. I'm thinking that if the scale isn't moving by Mon that I may do bootcamp for 4 days and see if I can shake things up a bit. For those of you that have done this, should I wait another week and see if I'm really stalled or would it be ok to do this after 2 weeks of minimal losses? maybe I'm just being impatient, but I'd really like to keep up the momentum!

FutureFitChick
12-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I set my new target this morning at 179. That should qualify me for an insurance discount.

I am really still trying to wrap my head around being overweight and not obese. That is pretty cool and still not real to me.

Yesterday I was 100% OP and breakfast this morning was also. Lots of writing planned for today. But, I also feel likel I'm getting sick, so I will rest a bit too.

Chloe222
12-29-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm so frustrated with only a 0.7 loss for the past 2 weeks. I know that any loss is a loss, but it's still disappointing. I'm thinking that if the scale isn't moving by Mon that I may do bootcamp for 4 days and see if I can shake things up a bit. For those of you that have done this, should I wait another week and see if I'm really stalled or would it be ok to do this after 2 weeks of minimal losses? maybe I'm just being impatient, but I'd really like to keep up the momentum!

Cindy,
No harm in doing boot camp, I'd go ahead and do it. Also many of us, including Wuv, had weeks where we gained for no reason. Just trust your body and think big picture.

Also during those weeks where my losses were minimal, I knew that a bigger than usual loss was most likely coming up. And remember that there could have been a NSV, your body busy readjusting its dimensions, so you could be smaller here or there and not realize it.

Hope that helps. You're doing well, keep up the good work! Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

sonyainva
12-29-2012, 08:56 AM

You have lost a lot of weight. How do you feel? Almost like a new person? We are about the same height and 2 or 3 pound change is huge for shorties.

Have you started weights? Any workouts? Is it Tom?

You are doing fabulous.

I set my new target this morning at 179. That should qualify me for an insurance discount.

I am really still trying to wrap my head around being overweight and not obese. That is pretty cool and still not real to me.

Yesterday I was 100% OP and breakfast this morning was also. Lots of writing planned for today. But, I also feel likel I'm getting sick, so I will rest a bit too.

Congrats on moving out of the obese category. Great job

1LittleStar
12-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Good morning everyone!

Another good day for me yesterday. I actually love this diet, which is not something I've ever said before. I peaked on the scale and see a big loss coming this week (TOM last week), so I'm very encouraged by that.

I am planning on snowshoeing with the kids and hubby today. I am really looking forward to it. I have newfound energy, and 25 lbs lighter seems to make a big difference in how much I can do. Can't imagine what 50 or more lbs lost will feel like!

Have a great day everyone!

AAAMom
12-29-2012, 09:29 AM
Good morning everyone,

Today is day four, yesterday I wanted to eat my arm off yesterday!But my consultant called me and told me to eat or have another packet so I made a raspberry jelly (which actually was quite good) and that worked!

I'm feeling lighter!

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 09:35 AM
I don't see enough info to give my thoughts. How long did it take you to lose the weight you've lost? Did you have a change in measurements when the scale slowed? A true plateau would be about a month of no scale OR measurement change. You still had a small loss.

I had two slower weeks but stuck with it. And I was rewarded.
My initial thought is impatience. We all get that way. It took us x amt of time to gain the weight but we want it off NOW! (Mostly we just don't like the deprivation of a diet so want it over now).

Without the additional info, personally I'd give it a bit more time. There are sooo many more factors to weight loss than just carbs/calories/fat. There are hormones such as leptin, ghrelin, cortisol (and more). There are neurotransmitters involved. Everything has to be in sync. PLUS your body has to adjust to weight lost & sluff off unneeded skin, blood vessels and other supporting tissues. If we're following the protocol, we need to trust that it works!

Nolawhodatchick
12-29-2012, 09:43 AM

When you say bootcamp, are you talking about a workout bootcamp? If so, I've done a few in the past. In the one's I've done, most folks gain a fair amount of muscle (in addition to burning fat, if they have any) which might offset any losses of weight? I think that could be one possible problem, maybe others who have tried it can comment.

But more of a concern to me, they were very strenuous, very high calorie workouts, a few hours every day, and I don't think I would do them on IP, even with extra packets. I would be afraid of my body burning muscle protein to get the calories required for the workout. Again, I don't know what type of bootcamp you are talking about, but I wouldn't attempt the one's I've done on IP. Maybe there are less strenuous ones out there? I do know one person who started working weights heavily in phase 1 and he lost muscle, leaving him looking gaunt and emaciated, even months after going into maintenance.

edited to add: Have you thought about adding light exercise that would be less than a bootcamp? Also, I just saw you said 4 day bootcamp...that's less than the one's I've done (two weeks), which may make some of what I said not applicable. Bu still I'd be concerned if it was a few hours a day.

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
IP bootcamp is basically 5 packets, no restricted, no meat.
Usually done when stalled.

sahmmommy2
12-29-2012, 09:51 AM
Just checking in with everyone this morning. I've had a house full of sick kids and adults. I'm starting my second cold for the week:( Not expecting too much on the scale right now with all the sickness and lack of sleep. Just trying to survive and stay OP. I had to cancel our weekend plans (including new years) because everyone is sick. Oh well, better to keep the nastiness to ourselves than get our friends sick.

Congratulations to everyone for the losses and NSV's! One more holiday to get through to the new year OP! WE CAN DO IT! I have so much to be thankful for, and the world reminds me of that every day. I don't know about the rest of you, but I am SO glad I decided to start this diet before the new year. I'm already over half way to goal, something I never would have imagined when I started in October. Looking forward to getting the rest of the weight off and moving into maintenance.

Nolawhodatchick
12-29-2012, 09:52 AM
IP bootcamp is basically 5 packets, no restricted, no meat.
Usually done when stalled.

Ahh...ty. I feel silly! :)

Does it still include your 4 cups of veggies?

IdealProteinNewbie
12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes, but only non-restricted vegetables.

Chloe222
12-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Good morning everyone,

Today is day four, yesterday I wanted to eat my arm off yesterday!But my consultant called me and told me to eat or have another packet so I made a raspberry jelly (which actually was quite good) and that worked!

I'm feeling lighter!

I'm also in my first week of a reboot after being away for 3+ months. I made veggie puree and dilute that with 12 oz water to make a soup, which I have twice a day. This is in place of my 2 cups of vegetables at lunch and dinner. (Still have packet at lunch and 8 oz protein w/ dinner.) The added volume helps me feel really full, something I need in the first week or so while getting back into ketosis. For me, it works. No terrible hunger pains, not that my stomach didn't growl, but it was manageable.

Helped that I saw Les Mis yesterday and was away from food/kitchen for a long time too.

The jello you ate has the added benefit of collagen, helps with tightening skin.

Best of luck to you!
Chloe

Chloe222
12-29-2012, 10:30 AM
Beck81,
Congrats on making goal! Your pictures are amazing, you are an inspiration! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

1LittleStar
12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Good morning everyone,

I'm feeling lighter!

It will get better very soon! At about day 5 for me, I didn't feel hungry and had a sudden burst of energy. It's an awesome feeling. I also was told by my coach to eat 4 packets if it helped and it did. I'm gad I dd it, and it certainly didn't hurt my weight loss that first week! Congrats on sticking to it!

Shedit
12-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Good Saturday to everyone. I know the holidays are hard to stick OP but it seems that the resolve here is very strong. I am in cold Denver and being a southerner it has been achallenge dealing with the weather. Thankfully I have not been tempted to sit inside and eat! I feel great OP and am convinced that our supplements are happy pills. Very pleased with my progress so far and happy to read your posts and successes for inspiration & info. Best wishes for 2013 to all!

A1Texan
12-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Finished shopping last night for all my ingredients for my fresh Red Pepper Salsa. First attempt at using my oven started with removing all the plastic from the tray inside (I did remember that before turning it on). Prepared the bell peppers, poblano and jalapenos (note to self: don't blow your nose after handling the jalapenos because they will burn for quite a long time).

Oven set at 500 and peppers all on cookie sheet (new) and sprayed with olive oil and placed in oven; set timer to 8 minutes. 3 minutes into it my smoke alarm started going off. It seems that the dust in the oven (need to talk to the maid about this) set off the alarm. (Now eyes and nose burning)
All is good now, peppers roasting nicely. So it time to look for the blender. I know I have one but where did I put it so I could find it for margarita’s. Blender found and all set up to add everything (Note to self: Make sure top is placed before starting blender) Everything blended up nicely and TWO hours later I have 3 cups of fresh Red Pepper Salsa! (Last note to self: Find this at Sprouts)

Since the oven is all fired up I thought I’d try my hand at Kale Chips. Not so good! Well I must say that this experience at cooking was very intriguing. Lots of lessons learned!

Stay tuned for more cooking adventures from The Single Guy... :D

goldilocksinct
12-29-2012, 12:07 PM
Hello. :wave: This is my Day 1. Naturally the dog sat on my sheet and I had to tape the corner back on. I am glad I did a lot of pre-reading before starting. I chose the cappuccino for my first packet this morning. She gave me the vanilla drink if I want to put it in coffee (a little every day), but I think I will just switch to tea. I have had a 16.9 oz bottle of water and took the vitamins for this morning (eliminating my own vitamins and calcium).

I am so happy I can make my own protein. I was on NutriSystem some years ago and I hated the prepared dinners. I could choke down about two different things because I hated the sauces in most of them. We are expecting a good amount of snow this afternoon so I went to the store last night to stock up on my lean protein.

I chose a lot of IP soups because they looked good. I have to figure out what is easiest for me to take to work (taking Monday off, so going back Wednesday) since I usually just eat at my desk. Previously I just took a nonfat yogurt, a dry sandwich of deli roast beef and an oat bran/flax half a pocket bread, and fruit and baby carrots. So I think I will take cut up cukes and a lettuce salad with WF dressing and whatever packet.

My problem time is evening eating, but think I am well prepared. :crossed:

Of course no hunger or issues yet, but after all I ate over the holidays, I am not surprised. :lol: Now I have to do lunch...

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Happy Saturday!
High of 81 predicted on FL Treasure Coast today with a cold front coming in that'll drop the temps 20 degrees by tomorrow. The lows here don't even touch the highs at home so I'm trying to soak up enough to keep me going til Spring!

I'm by the pool now but headed to the beach and the to happy hour by the water. Great raw bar prices at HH so that'll probably be "dinner" and I'll work my other packets around it. Can't get inexpensive fresh seafood in St Louis so I'm taking advantage while I'm here!

Have a great OP weekend & remember no BLT (bite, lick, taste) is worth having to do this all over again.

IdealProteinNewbie
12-29-2012, 12:15 PM
A1Texan,
Enjoyed hearing about your adventure in the kitchen, you'll be whipping up full entrees in no time!!!

goldilocksinct,
Welcome, check in often, there's sooo much to learn from this site and these people!!!

goldilocksinct
12-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Hey, Single Guy...I am not single and not a guy, but I am not sure I am much different from you in the cooking department. The Red Pepper Salsa sounds great and something I may attempt way down the road.

Good deal that you took the plastic off! :cp: Sorry about the smoke alarm and the dust.

I have made Kale Chips in the past (after reading about them somewhere) and they are just okay IMHO. A lot of work, but maybe after I am on IP for a while they will be worth it.

SDChickie
12-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Looking forward to reading of many more cooking adventures, Texan!

I was on vacation for two weeks and just went back to work yesterday. A close colleague mentioned that I was looking skinnier, which I suppose is true, as I'm down 5.6 pounds from the last time he saw me. When I answered his question about my total pounds lost so far, he said, "Wow! You've lost an 8 year old boy!" :eek: I have an 8 year old son, so that really hit home with me. I'd never thought about it like that! I couldn't stop looking at my son this morning. How on earth was I carrying all of that weight on my body? But even more importantly, why do I still feel just as big and shlubby as I did 64 pounds ago?! :shrug:

goldilocksinct
12-29-2012, 12:20 PM
goldilocksinct,
Welcome, check in often, there's sooo much to learn from this site and these people!!!Thank you! I can see there is MUCH to learn and this is a great place to get it.

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 12:25 PM
goldilocksinct
Welcome! My fav way to eat IP soups is with some puréed veggies added.
You were smart to read/research before starting. It'll make everything easier. I was a nite eater too. Started with my crunchy restricteds at nite, now I'm good with something lighter. A few weeks in Ketosis makes a BIG difference.
It's okay to have extra packets to get yourselfmthru the 1st week hungries. I STILL do occasionally (PMS) if I'm particularly hungry (maybe 1-2 times/mo now)

A1. Love your single guy adventure stories. Some will be trial/error. Some we can actually help with. I thought kale chips weren't good at first but discovered I was really burning them. They're done as soon as they're crisp & much better now that I've perfected it (with garlic salt!) & totally worth it when hubby is having popcorn (both as a distraction and a crunchy)

SDChickie there's a thread around here somewhere comparing weight lost to "things". I'll see if I can find/bump

MMMC
12-29-2012, 12:27 PM
I've been having a ton of fun reading around the threads, especially the recipes. I think the turning point for me was realizing that I can actually play around with recipes and the packages - especially with the soups. I love cooking, and was getting into a funk of salad and seared meat (that said, I have found a salad that makes me very happy and very full). I gained two pounds from the two days that I went off the plan (and boy did I ever go off plan), but I'm happy to be back on it now. You are all such an inspiration!

IdealProteinNewbie
12-29-2012, 12:31 PM
SDChickie,
I'm down 81 pounds so far and I feel the exact same way. Intellectually I know I must look different (obviously I'm wearing smaller clothes) but I feel the same as I did before I lost any weight. People compliment me all the time but it hasn't clicked yet.

LizRR
12-29-2012, 12:33 PM
The day has started off GREAT! Did a chilly, 6.5-mile run with my group this morning, I have been under the weather and my last run was Christmas Eve, so it was great to shake of "the lazies". Today is the last day my niece is in town so I'm about to get ready to meet them at an indoor bounce house with my son - she LOVES playing with "Baby Sean"...it fills my heart with joy to see the cute cousins!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! My coach allowed me 4 packets during the first week while getting through the WORST of it!!! It gets easier, and the collagen packets (Raspberry Jelly & Cran Granata Drink) are GREAT choices on a 4th packet. I would microwave 2 bags of rhubarb (1 frozen bag ~2 cups chopped) for ~10 minutes (until mushy) and assembly line 4 jellys so I always had an emergency snack in the fridge (you get to a point where you can foresee 'hungry weeks' - aka, TOM).

A1Texan - LOL!!! Just a few shortcut tips - they sell roasted red bell peppers in the Italian food aisle at most grocery stores, jarred & ready for consumption (look by the tomato sauce section). You can just add seeded, fresh jalapenos with cilantro and garlic in the blender with a jar or two of the prepared peppers for salsa. My 'usual recipe' was 3 8-oz jars of tomato sauce, 1 bunch cilantro, 3 jalapenos, 3 serranos, & 4 cloves garlic. You could substitute the roasted red bell peppers (& maybe a little water) for the tomato sauce. I LOVE my blender - it is the numero uno appliance that I cannot live without now! Also, if you lightly coat your hands with oil (quick spray) it helps shield your skin from the jalapeno heat! Some folks wear gloves when handling peppers.

Kaybes
12-29-2012, 12:46 PM
I hope this is the right place to share this...I think I'm in ketosis! Yay! Lol.

I have been gearing up for this with a slow start since last Saturday (a week ago today), and after my Wednesday WI (loss of 6.3 lbs!), I wanted to really try very hard to be completely OP. (From what I know about myself and my personal circumstances, I knew it had to be gradual).

So from Thursday through today, I would say that I have been 98% OP. And while I seem to be retaining water today - I made a sauce yesterday using soy sauce, which I now think was a huge mistake - when I woke up today at 8:00 I had some ketosis symptoms. Considering I had awoken at 5:30 and I had none of the symptoms, I am thinking this might be it. We will see...

Thanks for being here, all --
Kaybes

Kaybes
12-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Cindy56,

When do you weigh in next? Do they do a body fat measurement at your doctor? Maybe that will show improvement. I know (believe me, I know!) how hard it is when the scale doesn't move. But your body may just be saying, "Hold on a minute! Give me a time to get settled." :)

Chloe222
12-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Finished shopping last night for all my ingredients for my fresh Red Pepper Salsa. First attempt at using my oven started with removing all the plastic from the tray inside (I did remember that before turning it on). Prepared the bell peppers, poblano and jalapenos (note to self: don't blow your nose after handling the jalapenos because they will burn for quite a long time).

Oven set at 500 and peppers all on cookie sheet (new) and sprayed with olive oil and placed in oven; set timer to 8 minutes. 3 minutes into it my smoke alarm started going off. It seems that the dust in the oven (need to talk to the maid about this) set off the alarm. (Now eyes and nose burning)
All is good now, peppers roasting nicely. So it time to look for the blender. I know I have one but where did I put it so I could find it for margarita’s. Blender found and all set up to add everything (Note to self: Make sure top is placed before starting blender) Everything blended up nicely and TWO hours later I have 3 cups of fresh Red Pepper Salsa! (Last note to self: Find this at Sprouts)

Since the oven is all fired up I thought I’d try my hand at Kale Chips. Not so good! Well I must say that this experience at cooking was very intriguing. Lots of lessons learned!

Funny story! I'll look forward to hearing more about your kitchen adventures! Btw, as others said, I'd bet your weight gain was just water due to excess sodium from the ham. You're doing well!

Hello. :wave: This is my Day 1. Naturally the dog sat on my sheet and I had to tape the corner back on. I am glad I did a lot of pre-reading before starting. I chose the cappuccino for my first packet this morning. She gave me the vanilla drink if I want to put it in coffee (a little every day), but I think I will just switch to tea. I have had a 16.9 oz bottle of water and took the vitamins for this morning (eliminating my own vitamins and calcium).

I am so happy I can make my own protein. I was on NutriSystem some years ago and I hated the prepared dinners. I could choke down about two different things because I hated the sauces in most of them. We are expecting a good amount of snow this afternoon so I went to the store last night to stock up on my lean protein.

I chose a lot of IP soups because they looked good. I have to figure out what is easiest for me to take to work (taking Monday off, so going back Wednesday) since I usually just eat at my desk. Previously I just took a nonfat yogurt, a dry sandwich of deli roast beef and an oat bran/flax half a pocket bread, and fruit and baby carrots. So I think I will take cut up cukes and a lettuce salad with WF dressing and whatever packet.

My problem time is evening eating, but think I am well prepared. :crossed:

Of course no hunger or issues yet, but after all I ate over the holidays, I am not surprised. :lol: Now I have to do lunch...

You're well prepared! One of the things I did to make sure I had evening eating under control was to take my snack packet (and I use a protein powder made into a choc shake for my snack) and take it half at a time. This way I could keep myself from getting too hungry. My afternoon snack and bedtime snack were the same (each half a choc shake, usually thickened with 1 c raw spinach and a few ice cubes, all processed in a ninja blender). I'm currently using a slow digesting protein powder, casein protein powder, in chocolate, that I buy at my local GNC.

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I hope this is the right place to share this...I think I'm in ketosis! Yay! Lol.

I have been gearing up for this with a slow start since last Saturday (a week ago today), and after my Wednesday WI (loss of 6.3 lbs!), I wanted to really try very hard to be completely OP. (From what I know about myself and my personal circumstances, I knew it had to be gradual).

So from Thursday through today, I would say that I have been 98% OP. And while I seem to be retaining water today - I made a sauce yesterday using soy sauce, which I now think was a huge mistake - when I woke up today at 8:00 I had some ketosis symptoms. Considering I had awoken at 5:30 and I had none of the symptoms, I am thinking this might be it. We will see...
The chat is a great place to share daily things. Sounds like its time to kick it into 100% OP. Then you don't have to guess about being in Ketosis & it reduces water retention too. Nothing wrong with soy sauce (Braggs aminos have no sugar) although you have to watch other sodium content that day. Don't worry about water retention...amazingly, drink MORE water to counteract. Lettuce helps too.

IdealProteinNewbie
12-29-2012, 01:33 PM
lisa32989,
When are we getting updated before/after photos...maybe some from your current vacation?!?!

tam67green
12-29-2012, 01:43 PM
Let it snow! We have a snowy day here in Maryland. It sure is pretty, but what a waste when I'm already on Winter Break (lol...can you tell I work in the public school system?) We are having a lazy day at home. Just got my butt kicked in Othello by both my husband and my son. Later on, I will be un-decking the halls. Staying OP will be easier once all reminders of the holidays are gone, maybe! :-)

A1Texan--Sounds like you are off and running! I tried kale chips, and they were OK. I like spinach chips better, for some reason. They seem like a little less work, because you don't have to worry about cutting out the stalk in the middle. If you buy baby spinach, you can just use the leaves as they are. I put them on parchment paper, spray with olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings, and bake at 350 for about 10 minutes...YUM!

Lisa--I'm jealous of your vacation! I love the beach and warm weather, and could do with a little of both right now. Enjoy!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

lisa32989
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
lisa32989,
When are we getting updated before/after photos...maybe some from your current vacation?!?!
How sweet of you to ask!
My before/during photos will have to wait til I get home (1/6). I want to use the same shirt and didn't bring it with me.

I'll get a new avatar pic up sometime this trip...that one is BEFORE! I almost brought THAT shirt with me but when I tried it on & showed DH, he asked me if I'd be wearing it as a swimsuit cover. It's almost a dress now!

IdealProteinNewbie
12-29-2012, 01:56 PM
Ok, I'll be patient lol. But, that's an awesome idea to do a before/during picture in the same clothes!

Bellamack
12-29-2012, 02:27 PM
Hello from very snowy upstate NY,

I rebooted and this is my 3rd day 100% OP and I feel like eating everything, been drinking blueberry herbal tee to fill up. lol

My daughter was supposed to fly back to cali today, but because of the last storm and this, she got postponed until Monday.

Where is Wuv & Rainbow these days? I don't always post, but try to read the posts everyday.
Happy 2013 Ipeeps :)

rainbowsmiles
12-29-2012, 03:34 PM

truly enjoyed this post and can't wait to read more about the cooking adventures from the single guy!!! you'll be a kitchen expert in no time!!!!!!!!! creative cooking is contagious!!!!

now go buy yourself some kitchen gadgets!! makes cooking fun!!!:D

rainbowsmiles
12-29-2012, 03:35 PM
back from vermont!!!!!!!!!!!

Wild wire
12-29-2012, 03:44 PM
Everyone sounds like they are having a good weekend so far! As a treat for myself, I went and bought some davinci sugar free syrups. I spent a lot of time trying to choose my flavours and ended up buying 5! I will have to share some with my friends! What are your favourite flavours? I know everything in moderation but how many ounces do you use a day? I like these in my tea & using my soda stream! I've tried to limit it to two a day at most!

Have a great weekend!

rainbowsmiles
12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Hello from very snowy upstate NY,

I rebooted and this is my 3rd day 100% OP and I feel like eating everything, been drinking blueberry herbal tee to fill up. lol

My daughter was supposed to fly back to cali today, but because of the last storm and this, she got postponed until Monday.

Where is Wuv & Rainbow these days? I don't always post, but try to read the posts everyday.
Happy 2013 Ipeeps :)

:wave: hi bella lovely lady....happy 2013 to you too!!! it's almost here!!! this is the year we take good care of OURSELVES!!!!

good luck on your reboot!!!!

i'm back from vermont....had a lovely trip!!! loved the snow!!! came home with a bad cold but otherwise, it was a wonderful trip!!!

hope santa clause was good to you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sammie12
12-29-2012, 05:37 PM
Hi everyone hope you all are having a great weekend. I was hoping for snow this afternoon but all it's doing is raining. I haven't tried kale chips yet but maybe tomorrow I give it a try.

Fishette
12-29-2012, 06:23 PM
now go buy yourself some kitchen gadgets!! makes cooking fun!!!:D

My DH loves to cook, but only when he can use power tools!

rainbowsmiles
12-29-2012, 06:30 PM
My DH loves to cook, but only when he can use power tools!

:devil: hmmmm power tools in the kitchen eh?????

LizRR
12-29-2012, 06:49 PM
OMG - Old Navy is soooooo addictive!!!! I went in to return a shirt and ended up with a ton of stuff...at great prices of course. I should post a pic of my receipt. I found a pair of jeans for $0.97, unfortunately they were size 8 (too big), but I pointed them out to someone else and they snagged them. Sandals for $3.25, sweater for $5.30, shirt for $4.50...you know, the usual ON deals! Found a neat headband & knit cap that both have built in headphones along with fleece gloves that can be used for smart phones - great combo for running outside! Everything I buy there has a red tag (clearance)...and always use my 10% off survey coupon.

Fishette
12-29-2012, 07:06 PM
:devil: hmmmm power tools in the kitchen eh?????

Oh, yes, my favorite story was when he was going to throw away the lemon meringue pie he made because he couldn't get his power tool to make the meringue - I think it must have had a little egg yolk on it or something as the egg whites just wouldn't fluff up. I rescued the dessert by showing him the old fashion way with a whisk and a lot of elbow grease. He didn't think that was fun in the least. :dizzy:

AAAMom
12-29-2012, 08:01 PM
1littlestar and lizrr
Good to hear that it can take more than the three days to get into ketosis! And that what I going through is normal.

Had Chinese tonigh, steamed chicken and veg I picked out all the water chestnuts and carrots! Sprinkled a bit of Chinese five spice and dug in!

Also went to the movies today had popcorn on either side of me and I was ok.

Hgamroth
12-29-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm also in my first week of a reboot after being away for 3+ months. I made veggie puree and dilute that with 12 oz water to make a soup, which I have twice a day. This is in place of my 2 cups of vegetables at lunch and dinner. (Still have packet at lunch and 8 oz protein w/ dinner.) The added volume helps me feel really full, something I need in the first week or so while getting back into ketosis. For me, it works. No terrible hunger pains, not that my stomach didn't growl, but it was manageable.

Helped that I saw Les Mis yesterday and was away from food/kitchen for a long time too.

The jello you ate has the added benefit of collagen, helps with tightening skin.

Best of luck to you!
Chloe

How was Les Mis? I am so bummed our theater isn't going to show it.

Thanks for posting what worked for you that 1st week of phase 1. I am re-starting to lose my holiday gain plus 10 more and I am going to try this tip. The first time I started IP, I didn't know of this site and had a horrible time of it. I am so ready to be back to the routine!

Hgamroth
12-29-2012, 08:48 PM

This cracked me up!

bubbleblower
12-29-2012, 09:10 PM
Love the kitchen stories! I find that I'm cooking waaaay more often than normal due to IP, and that's not necessarily a good thing. Normally my DH would take care of everything as he's a much better chef. Some of my creations have been less than impressive! :lol:

We're diving most mornings this week, including tomorrow morning. Thankfully the aches from last week's diving are gone. I'm hoping that this week will be easier.

We saw my son and fiance off at the airport this morning. They've already sent us pictures of the snow back home. Let's just say I won't be unhappy if it's all gone by the time we have to head back north....

maezy1
12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
A1TEXAN - kitchen adventures were hysterical to read!
My DH loves power tools in the kitchen as well...its amazing what a power drill can be used for!

Neast
12-29-2012, 10:36 PM
So it has been a long month and a half since I was OP. first I got sick, then I had oral surgery, then I went and got a pedicure and ended up with a staph infection in my feet. Needless to say throughout that craziness I let my diet slip.

However, I went grocery shopping tonight and tomorrow I will restart 100% OP.
I will weigh in in the am and grudgingly update my ticker. :carrot:

Hgamroth
12-29-2012, 10:49 PM
So it has been a long month and a half since I was OP. first I got sick, then I had oral surgery, then I went and got a pedicure and ended up with a staph infection in my feet. Needless to say throughout that craziness I let my diet slip.

We will restart together!

petiteandcute
12-29-2012, 11:45 PM
I was on this site from the summer of 2010 till probably the summer of 2011, maybe longer. I enjoyed this site very much, it was very helpful. I would like to find some of the ladies that were on at the same time I was, to see how they are doing. I don't know how to do that. I thought I would post, hoping someone who remembers me would contact me. I enjoyed loosing weight and making new friends.

Cindy56
12-30-2012, 02:34 AM
Thank you all so much for the advice and support. I decided that I'm probably just being impatient, so I'm going to continue with the plan for another week and then decide about bootcamp. I've lost 34 lbs in 12 weeks so I think that I'm really doing well and I'm thrilled with how easy it's been compared to everything else I've ever tried. I guess I was just frustrated because most WI have been at least 2 pounds. I think beneath it all I was also a little scared that I was somehow messing up again and that I wouldn't be able to continue losing. Silly, huh? Thanks for helping me put it all into perspective. You guys are really wonderful. I feel so lucky to have discovered this site and all of you.

sonyainva
12-30-2012, 06:19 AM
Cindy, those are some great numbers. Lot of weight loss is mental. We all have ups and downs.

Started this morning with 4 cups of hot water, trying to clean up the pipes.

Chloe222
12-30-2012, 06:56 AM

LOL! Updating that ticker isn't fun (doing mine at first WI later this week). I'm in my first week of a reboot, after being away 3 1/2 months or so. Like you, also had surgery in the past month and lots of stress, but that's all in the past.

Here's to 2013 and healthy weights for all!

We will restart together!

So, now we have a group of restarters, there's power in numbers! Looking forward to hearing about your success - you've done it once, we're now in the rinse and repeat mode. I think the only benefit is that we truly know how well this works for us and we know how to do it, all we need to do now is just do it.

Thank you all so much for the advice and support. I decided that I'm probably just being impatient, so I'm going to continue with the plan for another week and then decide about bootcamp. I've lost 34 lbs in 12 weeks so I think that I'm really doing well and I'm thrilled with how easy it's been compared to everything else I've ever tried. I guess I was just frustrated because most WI have been at least 2 pounds. I think beneath it all I was also a little scared that I was somehow messing up again and that I wouldn't be able to continue losing. Silly, huh? Thanks for helping me put it all into perspective. You guys are really wonderful. I feel so lucky to have discovered this site and all of you.

We're here for you and look forward to watching your ticker slide down with this wonderful program.

Cindy, those are some great numbers. Lot of weight loss is mental. We all have ups and downs.

Started this morning with 4 cups of hot water, trying to clean up the pipes.

Do you ever put lemon in your hot water?

sonyainva
12-30-2012, 07:47 AM
I probably should put lemon, but I don't. The hot water does clean me out. I had Chinese dim sum yesterday, even though I was op, I feel bloated from all the soy sauce

AAAMom
12-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Good morning!
I think I am in ketosis or at least on the doorstep!
Very snowy here.
Happy Sunday! Go Pats!

sonyainva
12-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Good morning!
I think I am in ketosis or at least on the doorstep!
Very snowy here.
Happy Sunday! Go Pats!

Good for you. I was off plan on Tuesday and don't think I am in ketosis, hubby lets me know real fast.

Today my twin daughters turn 14, have dinner at a Thai restaurant.

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
Yesterday eating was not quite OP. I did have an extra snack that I didn't intend. I think I really need to break my regular snack in to two parts so that I eat the originally planned amount just split at two times. It will help when I finally make it to the grocery store to stock up on fresh things. But, my former "skinny-weight" jeans are getting a bit loose and I'm on the second to smallest belt loop too, so that is fun.

I keep trying to figure out what I would like my final goal to be. (I do not have a coach.) My healthy weight range is 122-164. I have been overweight or obese since about the age of 10 1/2. (I'm in my mid-thirties now and have not been successful maintaining pregnancies but would like to. I do not have PCOS.) The last healthy weight I have recorded is when I was 10 and had a BMI of 19.1. At that weight and height I still look larger than my peers. The next weight I have recorded, I was clearly obese. So, I am not sure where I should be aiming. I know lots of people adjust their final goal downward as they approach their original goal, but I like the idea of knowing where I should be. My parents were both obese most of their lives as well, but all of my aunts on both sides have been at healthy weights. I keep looking at mybodygallery.com, but I have a lot of trouble envisioning myself at any of those weights. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nolawhodatchick
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Good morning everyone!

WI day for me!

WI #12 = -2.6lbs

I gave myself til official WI today to make my "Christmas" mini-goal of 30 lbs in 3 months (started Oct. 1). I didn't think I was going to make it (TOM water retention), but stepped on the scale and surprise! So happy, my ticker penguin has been waiting to take that final step for so long!!!

Now to set another mini-goal. Does 10 lbs by Valentines sound realistic? I had to adjust my Christmas mini-goal midstream as I realized 35 lbs in 3 mths wasn't a realistic goal for me. I've been ranging from 1.8 to 2.8 per week for the last 6 weeks.

Hope you all have a great day!!!!

Nolawhodatchick
12-30-2012, 10:22 AM
Yesterday eating was not quite OP. I did have an extra snack that I didn't intend. I think I really need to break my regular snack in to two parts so that I eat the originally planned amount just split at two times. It will help when I finally make it to the grocery store to stock up on fresh things. But, my former "skinny-weight" jeans are getting a bit loose and I'm on the second to smallest belt loop too, so that is fun.

I'm hypoglycemic and I break every snack/meal into 2 servings. Otherwise, I found myself seriously "crashing" energy-wise long before the day was over. It's not perfect, even with the packet splits., I've still have energy problems. But I just added an extra scoop of protein power (casein, slow processing) the last couple of days at only 35 calories, 7g protein, 0 sugar, 0 carbs, and it seems to be helping tremendously.

Congrats on the loose skinny jeans!!! Soon they will be way too big :)

ragdoll74
12-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Nowla- which brand of casseine are you using? I've been starving all week, and am thinking about adding casseine on those days. I like the fact that the one you use has no carbs or sugar and really low calorie.

Debrasb
12-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Lately i find myself dreaming food-related dreams at night, and i usually remember them. I just had to share--last nite I dreamt that I was at a hotel and there was chocolate everywhere. Without even thinking, I scooped up a bit and ate it. When I checked out, it was a $15,000 charge for the treats. Now that's reason alone to stay OP!

wuv2bloved
12-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Lately i find myself dreaming food-related dreams at night, and i usually remember them. I just had to share--last nite I dreamt that I was at a hotel and there was chocolate everywhere. Without even thinking, I scooped up a bit and ate it. When I checked out, it was a $15,000 charge for the treats. Now that's reason alone to stay OP!

WOW Must of been some good chocolate huh?....lol.....I still after 19 months of being on IP have those dreams, its kinda crazy to still have them.

If any of you keep up with CNN news, iReport is doing a segment on before and after weight loss pics so I submitted mine, here is a link
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-903363

scorbett1103
12-30-2012, 10:53 AM
Good morning everyone!

WI day for me!

WI #12 = -2.6lbs

I gave myself til official WI today to make my "Christmas" mini-goal of 30 lbs in 3 months (started Oct. 1). I didn't think I was going to make it (TOM water retention), but stepped on the scale and surprise! So happy, my ticker penguin has been waiting to take that final step for so long!!!

Now to set another mini-goal. Does 10 lbs by Valentines sound realistic? I had to adjust my Christmas mini-goal midstream as I realized 35 lbs in 3 mths wasn't a realistic goal for me. I've been ranging from 1.8 to 2.8 per week for the last 6 weeks.

Hope you all have a great day!!!!

Awesome job!!! And I think 10lbs by Valentines day is totally reasonable, that would be an average of 2lbs per week which is right in your range. So glad to hear adding the casein protein is helping you feel better too!!

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 10:54 AM

I keep trying to figure out what I would like my final goal to be. (I do not have a coach.) My healthy weight range is 122-164. I have been overweight or obese since about the age of 10 1/2. (I'm in my mid-thirties now and have not been successful maintaining pregnancies but would like to. I do not have PCOS.) The last healthy weight I have recorded is when I was 10 and had a BMI of 19.1. At that weight and height I still look larger than my peers. The next weight I have recorded, I was clearly obese. So, I am not sure where I should be aiming. I know lots of people adjust their final goal downward as they approach their original goal, but I like the idea of knowing where I should be. My parents were both obese most of their lives as well, but all of my aunts on both sides have been at healthy weights. I keep looking at mybodygallery.com, but I have a lot of trouble envisioning myself at any of those weights. Any suggestions?

P.S. I am currently at 43% body fat if that helps your suggestion at all. I am very bottom heavy. Until now I have typically had a hip/upper thigh size 2 clothing sizes bigger than my waist and have very wide calves. That being said, I am a 36DDD and have lost minimal amounts in my chest. My wrist measurement indicates I am a small frame.

Thanks!

scorbett1103
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM

Thanks!

Goal weight is such a tricky question to answer!!! A lot depends on your build. I am not super big boned but I am "well endowed" and have always had an hourglass figure (heavier in the hips) - I am the same height as you but I would look completely emaciated at 130lbs! I've been taking it in 10lb increments. I initially set a goal of 170lbs. The closer I got to that, I realized I had further I could go. So new goal is 160lbs. I'm quickly approaching that, and may drop my goal again. I think you have to pick a first goal, then take it in baby steps until you feel comfortable without feeling like maintenance is going to be an uphill battle.

LizRR
12-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Good morning everyone! I made a smoothie using Kale instead of my beloved spinach - I had to throw it out, maybe I didn't blend it long enough but I had a lot of 'tough bits' that I couldn't handle.

I bought a couple of cool running toys for cold weather yesterday at ON - long sleeve hooded shirt (hood has a ponytail hole!), headband/earwarmers with built-in headphones, more gloves for smartphone-compatible gloves (last week I got matching knit hat w/built-in headphones & smartphone gloves).

I am still coughing up a little - I had to throw out my kale concoction and decided to have my leftover Indian food for breakfast. It's chicken breast, tomato paste, bell peppers, & spice packet. We used to buy the jarred sauces and looked at how much FAT was in it - we found these awesome spice packets that is 0-0-0, we just add tomato paste (& salt). Too many tomatoes for P1 perhaps, but a good P4 dinner/breakfast! It's clearing out my sinuses as I type!

Hgamroth
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks!

I too have been overweight and obese ALL of my life. The "chunky" or "solid" kid. My "ideal" weight is 128 but that seemed unreachable. When I got down to 160 my weight loss really slowed and I was absolutely loving the new me so I set my goal to 150. I love being in med tops and size 8 pants. I have never been this small and I am happy. My coach wants me to lose another 20 (more $ in clinics pocket?) I am running now and I want to lose more in my tummy area and I gained over the holidays so I am now back on phase 1. I suggest picking a goal weight at the higher end of the healthy range then as you get close to that goal adjust if you want. For those of us who have always been overweight or obese, those small numbers seem unrealistic but I am starting to believe that it is a possibility.

kileymed13
12-30-2012, 11:03 AM
Quick question...should I use an extra packet if I am out shoveling for an hour or so? I had a packet just in case but I am just wondering.

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Thanks so much for your helpful response.

I am very bottom heavy. Until now I have typically had a hip/upper thigh size 2 clothing sizes bigger than my waist and have very wide calves. That being said, I am a 36DDD and have lost minimal amounts in my chest. My wrist measurement is 2-7/8" indicating I am a small frame. :( Just now learned that and it makes me sad.

Starshine
12-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Goal weight is such a tricky question to answer!!! A lot depends on your build. I am not super big boned but I am "well endowed" and have always had an hourglass figure (heavier in the hips) - I am the same height as you but I would look completely emaciated at 130lbs! I've been taking it in 10lb increments. I initially set a goal of 170lbs. The closer I got to that, I realized I had further I could go. So new goal is 160lbs. I'm quickly approaching that, and may drop my goal again. I think you have to pick a first goal, then take it in baby steps until you feel comfortable without feeling like maintenance is going to be an uphill battle.

I think Scorbett is right. Like Scorbett, I've always had the hourglass shape, with a smaller waist and larger hips/thighs. I'm a little shorter than you and coming up to my original goal weight. I know I'l drop it, as in Scorbett's words, there still is more fluff on my body then I'd like.

I don't know how much I'll drop my goal, but at least 10 pounds. I'll see how I feel, how my body looks, and if my body still wants to lose weight. I want to get to a weight I'm comfortable in, but also one I can maintain easily. And at this point in time, I have no idea what that will be. :)

Starshine
12-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks so much for your helpful response.

I am very bottom heavy. Until now I have typically had a hip/upper thigh size 2 clothing sizes bigger than my waist and have very wide calves. That being said, I am a 36DDD and have lost minimal amounts in my chest.

When I was at a more normal weight in my adult life, my chest was on the smaller size (34B), but when I gained all my weight over the last decade, I put a lot of it in my chest (and everywhere else). On IP, my chest wasn't the first place I lost weight, and it's still larger than in the past, but the last 20 pounds have definitely gotten them smaller. I too have large calves (always have had them), and although I wish they'd get slimmer, I really don't' have much hope for them ever being slim. They are just too muscular.

Our bodies are all so different, I think we just have to listen to them, and accept those differences. Totally a learning process for me. :)

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks, Starshine.

LizRR
12-30-2012, 11:19 AM

P.S. I am currently at 43% body fat if that helps your suggestion at all. I am very bottom heavy. Until now I have typically had a hip/upper thigh size 2 clothing sizes bigger than my waist and have very wide calves. That being said, I am a 36DDD and have lost minimal amounts in my chest.

Well - you asked...here is a formula I came up with to help me 'empirically determine' my goal weight. I based it off of body fat percentage (but remember the readings from coach's machines and scales have an approximate +/-5% variance, so not perfect). In P1 I typically kept the exact same routine during WI days (and pretty much most days, dinner protein & veggies varied though), so that I had a minimal variance in my WIs (besides TOM, hormones, etc).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4433238-post40.html

This "New Total" is based on the Desired BF% and assumes a 75%Fat:25%Lean Mass Loss ratio. Of course this can be tweaked if measures are taken to increase lean mass, etc. (weightlifting)

Given: Old Total and Old BF%
What is the New Total based on Desired BF%?

Initial Fat = Old Total * Old BF%

Loss = (Initial Fat - Desired BF% * Old Total) / (0.75 - Desired BFP%)

New Total = Old Total - Loss

Quick question...should I use an extra packet if I am out shoveling for an hour or so? I had a packet just in case but I am just wondering.

I would have had an extra unrestricted!

AnnaBoBanna
12-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi all, haven't stopped by in a while. The holidays are almost over and I decided I can't NOT be on IP any longer. As soon as I came off, weight started coming on like no one's business and I crave pure sugar.

So, I made a large order for some alternatives off Nashua Nutrition and am going to go it alone! I'm nervous, and scared I won't have the same willpower. I am hoping I am holding a lot of fluid too, maybe it will come right off.

I am hoping my order comes quickly so I can start right away. I miss feeling good about myself!

Hgamroth
12-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Hi all, haven't stopped by in a while. The holidays are almost over and I decided I can't NOT be on IP any longer. As soon as I came off, weight started coming on like no one's business and I crave pure sugar.

So, I made a large order for some alternatives off Nashua Nutrition and am going to go it alone! I'm nervous, and scared I won't have the same willpower. I am hoping I am holding a lot of fluid too, maybe it will come right off.

I am hoping my order comes quickly so I can start right away. I miss feeling good about myself!

We are here for you Anna! I hear ya about the pounds coming back on fast! You can do this!!!

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 11:28 AM
LizRR - yay for fellow math geeks! Thanks for sharing that.

scorbett1103
12-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Definitely!!! Any exertion is going to require extra calories so you need to replace those. And goodness knows, shoveling that heavy, wet snow we got last night is BIG exertion!! You may also want to consider having a HB egg ready for later, if you feel more fatigued than usually a little egg snack should help.

When I was at a more normal weight in my adult life, my chest was on the smaller size (34B), but when I gained all my weight over the last decade, I put a lot of it in my chest (and everywhere else). On IP, my chest wasn't the first place I lost weight, and it's still larger than in the past, but the last 20 pounds have definitely gotten them smaller. I too have large calves (always have had them), and although I wish they'd get slimmer, I really don't' have much hope for them ever being slim. They are just too muscular.

Our bodies are all so different, I think we just have to listen to them, and accept those differences. Totally a learning process for me. :)

Amen sister! My band size has changed (went from a 42 to a 38) but my cup size has barely changed in 60lbs, I'm still a DD but fitting way better than before I started the diet. My calves are also not "slim" - but the more I lose, the more I love the shape my body is, even if it's not "textbook" :)

WELCOME BACK!!! You know you can rock it, even going rogue :) We are here for you!

scorbett1103
12-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Ugh - the boys have been fighting off sickness since the day after Christmas, but today both kids are bouncing around 101 degree fevers. I ended up calling out from work because hubby is also feeling gross, so he's not much help :)

Guess I'll be spending the day disinfecting everything and making soup!!!

LizRR
12-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Honestly, when you were going off IP for "less stress" - I meant to chime in (I was lurking on my phone - soooo hard to post!!!). Phase 1 is so NO STRESS compared to Phase 4. There is no thinking, and ketosis is a dieter's gift - it is so much easier to stay away from bad stuff in ketosis, your hunger is diminished - in P4 I found impulse control, cravings, hunger so much more pronounced. Not to mention that in P1 you don't have to think - you know exactly what to eat - alternatives or IP-proper foods, once you have your food & veggie routine set you have nothing to think about except math - calculating how many lb/BF%/inches you lost.

LizRR - yay for fellow math geeks! Thanks for sharing that.

Guilty as charged! That Electrical Engineering degree finally paid off!

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 11:43 AM

I had a laugh over Christmas when talking to my SIL. She was a CEE and my step-dad had asked my AE brother if he had taken CAD in high school. When we asked my SIL if she took it, she said, "No. My program really didn't teach me things that would actually be USEFUL." I about died, because she never speaks that negatively about anything.

Nolawhodatchick
12-30-2012, 12:00 PM
Nowla- which brand of casseine are you using? I've been starving all week, and am thinking about adding casseine on those days. I like the fact that the one you use has no carbs or sugar and really low calorie.

I'm using Dr. Sear's ZONE Protein Powder which they say is a blend of whey and casein powder. They claim it takes up to 6 hrs to absorb. My son is also hypoglycemic and was having energy crashes in the afternoon at school. So about 1 1/2 years ago, my husband started mixing a little less than a scoop of it in with our son's milk in the morning and it gets him through the school day pretty well, plus 1/2 scoop again at dinner milk. I don't know why I didn't think to try it on my IP diet earlier for myself other than that I was focused on using only official IP products. I'm only using a scoop, but I'm dividing into 3 servings throughout the day (about 12 calories each) and it seems to be helping a lot. I actually had the energy to do house cleaning yesterday at NIGHTTIME which up to now has been impossible for me on this diet.

kellycg102
12-30-2012, 12:04 PM

Welcome back!!!!!!!!! I am back too, day 4 of detoxing. YOu are definately not kidding about weight quickly going back on.......I have read that low carb diets ....after ......gain quicker.........pretty sure that is true.........however, I did not help the situation with my food addiction. Glad to be back on and feeling much better now. I wanted to start after jan 1, but my pants couldn't afford another few days of eating whatever I wanted. I need to stay focused and loose the too many lbs I put back on and then do better at maintenance with my cravings and all or nothing attitude. We can do this good luck to you!

Ricks
12-30-2012, 12:12 PM
Hi everyone!

On day 2 of the program and found this section to chat in. Looking forward to getting to know you all and dropping lots of pounds!

AnnaBoBanna
12-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Honestly, when you were going off IP for "less stress" - I meant to chime in (I was lurking on my phone - soooo hard to post!!!). Phase 1 is so NO STRESS compared to Phase 4. There is no thinking, and ketosis is a dieter's gift - it is so much easier to stay away from bad stuff in ketosis, your hunger is diminished - in P4 I found impulse control, cravings, hunger so much more pronounced. Not to mention that in P1 you don't have to think - you know exactly what to eat - alternatives or IP-proper foods, once you have your food & veggie routine set you have nothing to think about except math - calculating how many lb/BF%/inches you lost.

Liz, I think you're completely right! I thought staying on plan and starting school, etc was going to be difficult, but I think it might be just the thing I need. It was the one thing I felt like I had control over and it made me feel good. Once I gained a few lbs, I felt lousy both mentally and physically.

Maybe focusing on school will be easier since I won't have to worry about maintaining or gaining weight.

AnnaBoBanna
12-30-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome back!!!!!!!!! I am back too, day 4 of detoxing. YOu are definately not kidding about weight quickly going back on.......I have read that low carb diets ....after ......gain quicker.........pretty sure that is true.........however, I did not help the situation with my food addiction. Glad to be back on and feeling much better now. I wanted to start after jan 1, but my pants couldn't afford another few days of eating whatever I wanted. I need to stay focused and loose the too many lbs I put back on and then do better at maintenance with my cravings and all or nothing attitude. We can do this good luck to you!

Yay so happy someone else is having a second go! How is it getting back on? Were the headaches/symptoms better or worse?

rofl306
12-30-2012, 12:30 PM
P.S. I am currently at 43% body fat if that helps your suggestion at all. I am very bottom heavy. Until now I have typically had a hip/upper thigh size 2 clothing sizes bigger than my waist and have very wide calves. That being said, I am a 36DDD and have lost minimal amounts in my chest. My wrist measurement indicates I am a small frame.

Thanks!

I just wanted to share the experience of my sister who is 14 years older than I am. I had never known her to not have hips that were a couple of sizes larger than her waist and shoulders. She is now 58 and last year was on IP. Her hips vanished. She was so thrilled. She had been on every diet ever written or rumoured. She worked out regularly but she was short and always waddled because of her hips. It is amazing the changes that may happen as our bodies redistribute on this diet.

Personally, my breasts have deflated a couple of times. My adventurous DS overheard my SIL and I discussing it and explained that in women when in starvation mode it shows in their breasts and indicated that they require more food/calories. After we stopped hysterically laughing at getting breast advice from my DS he told us that this information came when they were preparing for a winter expedition. Men get dramatic waist reductions and women get dramatic breast changes. The weird thing is with this diet is that everything redistributes and they "re-inflated". So my cup size changes up and down even when my band size stays the same in a month.

kileymed13
12-30-2012, 12:38 PM
Ugh - the boys have been fighting off sickness since the day after Christmas, but today both kids are bouncing around 101 degree fevers. I ended up calling out from work because hubby is also feeling gross, so he's not much help :)

Guess I'll be spending the day disinfecting everything and making soup!!!

Hope they feel better soon :hug: I hate it when the kids are sick. Fingers crossed you don't get it.

Thanks for the input about shoveling and the extra unrestricted packet. I figured it wouldn't hurt, especially since it was the end of the driveway snow left from the plows.

:snow4: I am happy we have snow on the ground during vacation!! I feel like a kid playing in it.

kellycg102
12-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Yay so happy someone else is having a second go! How is it getting back on? Were the headaches/symptoms better or worse?

Well I kind of have been on and off since August and especially so much going on the last 2 months with social foody things, I had the mindset of going on but being prepared to take a night off....which led to three here and there until January....well January was my first "date". Mentally I just couldn't get my head around stayin OP and skipping the good food until now, but since that is all over, now I am focused and will not allow my self to say "well I will have this and get back on tomorrow". Trying to be as focused as I was when I first started!!!

Anyhoo........sorry for the rant lol....getting back on is a little more difficult I think......only because I have allowed myself to "give up" easily over the last while. The first time I think I was excited about this new diet, knowing what it is all about now is different, but I am not going to let that get to me now that I am focused. I will get thru my sons birthday party and baptism and not use ...........well just this once.

Good luck, you will do great. Just don't give cheating an option!

karcher
12-30-2012, 01:01 PM
I've made it to day 5! Not having as many cravings but I still cannot tell if I am in ketosis. What are some sure tell signs that I've finally gotten into ketosis???

maezy1
12-30-2012, 01:04 PM
Ricks - WELCOME! this group of Ipeeps is very friendly, very honest, will encourage you when you need it and will "kick your butt" when needed so come back,visit often and jump in to IP. It is a great program
SCORBETT - so sorry you have a houseful of illness. Lysol is my household scent until March! I hate being sick and I work in a school so I am exposed to so much!
AnnaBoBanna - I just went total alternatives and it is working. I was scared to death that all of this weight loss would stop but it hasn't and I met my goal of losing 50lbs before 2013. I took a bunch of time to compare labels for IP, nashua, proti diet, WLS etc on nashua nutrition and looked at everyone's comments on the alternatives link. It is great to lose weight and not have a financial burden

mom2hi
12-30-2012, 01:06 PM
So glad to see how wonderfully many have you have progressed. I haven't been exactly "off program," but have been doing a lot of BLT's...that stopped on Wednesday. I have been kicking myself for not staying true to program, but have to be positive or I know it won't work.

So, I am back, too. I know the program works, I just have to give it a chance.

rofl306
12-30-2012, 01:51 PM
So glad to see how wonderfully many have you have progressed. I haven't been exactly "off program," but have been doing a lot of BLT's...that stopped on Wednesday. I have been kicking myself for not staying true to program, but have to be positive or I know it won't work.

So, I am back, too. I know the program works, I just have to give it a chance.

Welcome back!

Hgamroth
12-30-2012, 02:17 PM
Day 1 is going well! I have drank and drank and drank my water, ate a big lettuce salad for lunch and I have a big batch of zucchini chips dehydrating for tomorrow. Last time my day 2 was my roughest day so I want to make sure I have options! I am also going to make some pudding bark just in case. :)

AAAMom
12-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Day 1 is going well! I have drank and drank and drank my water, ate a big lettuce salad for lunch and I have a big batch of zucchini chips dehydrating for tomorrow. Last time my day 2 was my roughest day so I want to make sure I have options! I am also going to make some pudding bark just in case. :)

Hgamroth how do you dehydrate zucchini? Sounds interesting!

Hgamroth
12-30-2012, 02:25 PM
Hgamroth how do you dehydrate zucchini? Sounds interesting!

I am attempting zucchini chips! I have made them many times in the oven and now trying my hand with my new dehydrator my hubby bought me for my birthday. Apple chips for the kids are next!

IdealProteinNewbie
12-30-2012, 02:36 PM
You got this Holly!!!

FutureFitChick
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
I just wanted to share the experience of my sister who is 14 years older than I am. I had never known her to not have hips that were a couple of sizes larger than her waist and shoulders. She is now 58 and last year was on IP. Her hips vanished. She was so thrilled. She had been on every diet ever written or rumoured. She worked out regularly but she was short and always waddled because of her hips. It is amazing the changes that may happen as our bodies redistribute on this diet.

Personally, my breasts have deflated a couple of times. My adventurous DS overheard my SIL and I discussing it and explained that in women when in starvation mode it shows in their breasts and indicated that they require more food/calories. After we stopped hysterically laughing at getting breast advice from my DS he told us that this information came when they were preparing for a winter expedition. Men get dramatic waist reductions and women get dramatic breast changes. The weird thing is with this diet is that everything redistributes and they "re-inflated". So my cup size changes up and down even when my band size stays the same in a month.

That is great to hear. I'd be delighted for my hips to be a normal size.

lisa32989
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Congrats on the decision to return! This plan is definitely less stress for me. It was a little more starting out, but, as you know, once on a roll, it is easy!
Y ou might want to try lowering carbs now, until order arrives. Others have reported fewer symptoms this way.
WELCOME BACK !

scorbett: so sorry for the house full of sickness. Makin soup is definitely the healer!

Welcome to all of the new folks!

A1Texan
12-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Well I made the Mushroom/Garlic Puree today. It turned out great and tasted fantastic. Can't wait to try it on stuff. Chicken and beef all cut up and bagged into 4oz baggies, flattened for freezer space. Veggies all chopped up and measured out for the week. I need to go back to work to get some rest :)

lisa32989
12-30-2012, 04:30 PM
Well I made the Mushroom/Garlic Puree today. It turned out great and tasted fantastic. Can't wait to try it on stuff. Chicken and beef all cut up and bagged into 4oz baggies, flattened for freezer space. Veggies all chopped up and measured out for the week. I need to go back to work to get some rest :)
That's how I felt at first! Then it became routine.
Congrats on the foray into cooking.

A1Texan
12-30-2012, 04:32 PM
That's how I felt at first! Then it became routine.
Congrats on the foray into cooking.
Thanks Lisa. Since I eat out everyday for lunch, I think I have enough in my freezer to last me several weeks. If I only have to do this once or twice a month, it won't be that bad. :)

PepperTown
12-30-2012, 05:25 PM
Wanted to steam some veggies for lunch and mix it with a soup. Had never tried Broccoli Rabe-Rappini before and thought I'd try it. I steamed 2 cups of it, along with some red onions, pureed it, then mixed it with a Tomatoe Soup.

YUCK What the heck IS that stuff??? Did I prepare it wrong? Ain't buying that vegetable again!!!

maezy1
12-30-2012, 05:30 PM
Peppertown - not too sure what the veggie is but since you "enjoyed" it so much I think I will cross it off of my list as well. Now I have to Google it to figure out what this veggie is!

maezy1
12-30-2012, 05:35 PM
Broccoli rabe- it is related to and tastes like a turniip. It is sometimes called chinese broccoli...yeah I'll take your word and skip this one

scorbett1103
12-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Wanted to steam some veggies for lunch and mix it with a soup. Had never tried Broccoli Rabe-Rappini before and thought I'd try it. I steamed 2 cups of it, along with some red onions, pureed it, then mixed it with a Tomatoe Soup.

YUCK What the heck IS that stuff??? Did I prepare it wrong? Ain't buying that vegetable again!!!

LOL yeah Broccoli Rabe tastes nothing like broccoli :) It's actually not bad sauteed with garlic and EVOO, but yeah I don't imagine it would taste good mixed with the tomato soup.

Beck81
12-30-2012, 06:13 PM
Beck81,
Congrats on making goal! Your pictures are amazing, you are an inspiration! :carrot::carrot::carrot:
Thank you, Chloe!

OMG - Old Navy is soooooo addictive!!!! I went in to return a shirt and ended up with a ton of stuff...at great prices of course. I should post a pic of my receipt. I found a pair of jeans for $0.97, unfortunately they were size 8 (too big), but I pointed them out to someone else and they snagged them. Sandals for $3.25, sweater for $5.30, shirt for $4.50...you know, the usual ON deals! Found a neat headband & knit cap that both have built in headphones along with fleece gloves that can be used for smart phones - great combo for running outside! Everything I buy there has a red tag (clearance)...and always use my 10% off survey coupon.

I went to Old Navy yesterday Liz and bought a pair of Diva boot cut jeans in size 6 that I love. Bought some other sale items too. My husband asked me what made me decide to go to Old Navy and I said because Liz on 3fc goes there all the time!

You're rocking this now A1! It gets even easier. :carrot:

Debrasb
12-30-2012, 06:16 PM
Chicken and beef all cut up and bagged into 4oz baggies, flattened for freezer space. Veggies all chopped up and measured out for the week. I need to go back to work to get some rest :)

Great job! I love coming home and having everything ready like that.

Ricks
12-30-2012, 06:36 PM
Thanks for the welcome! I had a brutal afternoon. Stayed 100% on plan, but thought I was going to lose it. I always have an issue between 2-4pm normally, I hope it gets easier during that time! My husband kept me on track, but he goes back to work on the 2nd, and I'm on my own! Hopefully, it'll be good by then.

bubbleblower
12-30-2012, 06:41 PM
LOL yeah Broccoli Rabe tastes nothing like broccoli :) It's actually not bad sauteed with garlic and EVOO, but yeah I don't imagine it would taste good mixed with the tomato soup.

My thought exactly! :lol: I *love* it with EVOO and garlic, though!!

PepperTown
12-30-2012, 07:19 PM
AAAMom
How do you know when you're in ketosis?

lisa32989
12-30-2012, 07:56 PM

I googled to find you a good answer:

Early Stages
Ketosis symptoms change depending how long you've been in the state. In the early stages of ketosis, the symptoms may be a bit unpleasant. However, as your body adapts to the presence of ketones in the bloodstream, symptoms lessen and change. Early ketosis symptoms usually last for several days or up to a week in some people. This typically continues until the body is used to burning fat instead of glucose. After the several days, the levels of ketones in the body will lessen, but that does not mean you are no longer losing weight. It simply means your body has found a balance and is no longer producing excess ketones.

Early stage symptoms include the following:
Tiredness or fatigue
Headache
Feeling thirsty all the time
Dry mouth
Ketosis breath, which smells vaguely fruity and not terribly pleasant
Metallic taste in the mouth, particularly on the back of the tongue near the molars
Weakness
Dizziness
Nausea or stomach ache
Sleep problems
Cold hands and feet
Frequent urination

Ongoing States
As your body adapts to ketones, your symptoms may change or abate altogether. If you are using ketosis strips, your urine may still show ketones present, although probably in far lower concentrations. This is nothing to worry about. The amount of ketones in your urine does not correlate to the rate of weight loss.

As your body adapts to ketones, you may notice the following:

A "buzzed" feeling
Increased energy
Normalized urination frequency
Better sleep
Euphoria
Clear thinking

Sometimes low-carb dieters never seem to reach ketosis, or at least never have the urine test strips indicate excess ketones. This could be because exercising has used up the excess ketones or the urine is diluted from drinking a lot of water. This doesn't mean these people aren't burning fat, just that they aren't registering on the strips as being in ketosis.

Dealing with Ketosis Symptoms

Ketosis is a common part of low-carb dieting, but it isn't always a pleasant one. If you find yourself having trouble getting through this period, there are some things you can try that might ease symptoms:

Snack regularly. Having a protein-rich snack like a piece of chicken may ease the headache and other symptoms.
Take vitamins and minerals. Especially with the lack of fruits and vegetables on a low-carb diet, it's vital to take a good vitamin and mineral supplement to keep your body in a healthy balance.
Try a protein shake. Protein shakes with amino acid supplements can also be helpful for reducing symptoms of ketosis and easing this transition. Many different kinds of amino drinks are available and often are marketed to body builders.
Drink plenty of water, which will freshen breath and keep you hydrated.

Is Ketosis Dangerous?
Some suggest ketosis is an unhealthy condition. Studies show differently, however. A 1983 study published in Metabolism showed ketosis was well-tolerated. Another study in the Journal of Nutrition and Metabolism in 2002 showed ketosis had a positive effect on blood fats and did not increase risk of cardiovascular disease.

Ketosis Is a Signal
The most important thing to remember is that the unpleasant ketosis symptoms are temporary and will pass within a week or so. Try to focus on the fact that this less-than-perfect feeling is just a sign that you are burning fat and well on your way to losing weight.

bubbleblower
12-30-2012, 08:00 PM
Well - you asked...here is a formula I came up with to help me 'empirically determine' my goal weight. I based it off of body fat percentage (but remember the readings from coach's machines and scales have an approximate +/-5% variance, so not perfect). In P1 I typically kept the exact same routine during WI days (and pretty much most days, dinner protein & veggies varied though), so that I had a minimal variance in my WIs (besides TOM, hormones, etc).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4433238-post40.html

This "New Total" is based on the Desired BF% and assumes a 75%Fat:25%Lean Mass Loss ratio. Of course this can be tweaked if measures are taken to increase lean mass, etc. (weightlifting)

Given: Old Total and Old BF%
What is the New Total based on Desired BF%?

Initial Fat = Old Total * Old BF%

Loss = (Initial Fat - Desired BF% * Old Total) / (0.75 - Desired BFP%)

New Total = Old Total - Loss

Interesting. If my calculations are correct, I came up with 140, which actually was a pretty comfortable weight for me. I may end up adjusting mine up a bit from where I have it set now, but figured I'd put it at the minimum I thought I'd be comfortable with and then adjusting upward from there if necessary. I know if I go too small I'll start having issues with finding clothing that fits since I have long arms and legs. (Then again, I feel like I still have much further to go than ten more pounds before I get to that point!)

Thanks for the formula. Makes sense!

AAAMom
12-30-2012, 08:21 PM
AAAMom

I bought ketone stix at cvs. They'll give you a good indication.

lisa32989
12-30-2012, 08:34 PM
I bought ketone stix at cvs. They'll give you a good indication.

Actually a lot of folks on IP don't get anything registering on ketostix due to all the water we drink! Glad it worked for you, AAAMom!

LizRR
12-30-2012, 11:07 PM
Ugh...my son just threw up all over his bed, then in the tub. He is tucked in with clean sheets & pj's...momma is going to sleep