Ideal Protein Diet - IP Daily Chat Thursday 12/27/2012

View Full Version : IP Daily Chat Thursday 12/27/2012

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 05:21 AM
:welcome3:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html)

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

usmcvet
12-27-2012, 05:49 AM
Good morning. I hope you all have a great OP day. I'm home with the kids today. Not much planned. Some work from home and a trip to the pool at the health club to go swimming.

bubbleblower
12-27-2012, 06:57 AM
Good morning!! I'm going diving again this morning but am going to be better prepared today. Yesterday I forgot to take an IP bar with me for between dives when everyone else was munching on granola bars, cookies, and oranges. Today I'm taking both a bar and an EAS AdvantEdge shake to throw in the cooler. I tried not to overdo the swimming, but the hardest part actually was carrying 20+ pounds of camera gear back across the street to our place after the dives. My DH thinks I'm over dramatizing it, but I'm actually going to drive over in the car this morning so I don't have to haul it back myself afterwards. It really took a lot out of me.

The dives yesterday were beautiful, and I saw (and got shots of) the biggest loggerhead turtle I've ever seen! He came straight at me and I was sure he was going to turn as I kept flashing away, shooting pic after pic. He never did, and ended up swimming straight into the dome port on my camera rig! I think he must have seen his reflection it it. Then he swam right up and over, and hung around with us for most of the dive. My DH got some of the encounter on video - until his battery died. Folks on the other boat saw a hammerhead and a manta! It would be great to see them today, especially if they're close enough for pics. Wish me luck!

I've managed to stay OP (never did get a response from my coach about suggested modifications for diving), and got to play designated driver for everyone yesterday afternoon again. I've started creating my own meals at restaurants - and thankfully they've been cooperative - and I just make minor substitutions for myself when we're eating at home. So far so good! (Yesterday I ordered a plain romaine salad and a kimchi appetizer (minus the peanuts on top) and then combined the two for lunch; for dinner I threw a chicken filet on the grill while everyone else was having hot dogs, and I had spinach as a side instead of french fries. The greasy stuff isn't even looking appetizing to me anymore! :carrot:)

bubbleblower
12-27-2012, 07:10 AM
BTW, can someone help with with a tracker? I started on 12/6 and I still can't see the option for a weight tracker in my signature. What am I missing here? Thanks!!

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Good morning everyone!

Bubbleblower, I would love to see one of those turtle pictures if you care to post it later!

Have fun with the kids, usmcvet!

I'm 1lb away from my Christmas mini-goal. I'm giving myself til WI on Sunday, though. I'm thinking about adjusting my end goal from 138 to 145 to give my body a break, as I would phase out for a month or so, then return to Phase 1 with a new, lower end goal of 135 lbs. The reason for this is because this diet has been very hard on my body, I have extreme hyperglycemia plus anemia and this diet leaves me with very low energy. Medically I'm ok, but I'm tired of the fatigue and feel I need a break. I'm not worried about my "will to return". I have a lot of willpower, as my visiting college nephews pointed out to me on a recent visit to NOLA as I easily stayed 100 OP and served them all the wonderful treats and temptations our fair city has to offer. Has anyone tried this before? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much! I've learned so much and received so much encouragement from my online IP family!

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 08:47 AM
Bubble: I think you get it tomorrow. Or at the "exact time you joined" later today

ragdoll74
12-27-2012, 08:57 AM
Bubbleblower- sounds like you are having a great time!

When you click on user CP and then edit signature there should be a sample of a signature on the top. Then under there it says click here to get started. Follow the instructions after that.

Goodmorning All! Hope everyone has a great OP day!

A1Texan
12-27-2012, 09:24 AM
WI tomorrow. My home scale bounced up 2 lbs in one day and I didn't do anything different. Must be water retention. I'll go with that..LOL

usmcvet
12-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Good morning!! I'm going diving again this morning but am going to be better prepared today. Yesterday I forgot to take an IP bar with me for between dives when everyone else was munching on granola bars, cookies, and oranges. Today I'm taking both a bar and an EAS AdvantEdge shake to throw in the cooler. I tried not to overdo the swimming, but the hardest part actually was carrying 20+ pounds of camera gear back across the street to our place after the dives. My DH thinks I'm over dramatizing it, but I'm actually going to drive over in the car this morning so I don't have to haul it back myself afterwards. It really took a lot out of me.

The dives yesterday were beautiful, and I saw (and got shots of) the biggest loggerhead turtle I've ever seen! He came straight at me and I was sure he was going to turn as I kept flashing away, shooting pic after pic. He never did, and ended up swimming straight into the dome port on my camera rig! I think he must have seen his reflection it it. Then he swam right up and over, and hung around with us for most of the dive. My DH got some of the encounter on video - until his battery died. Folks on the other boat saw a hammerhead and a manta! It would be great to see them today, especially if they're close enough for pics. Wish me luck!

I've managed to stay OP (never did get a response from my coach about suggested modifications for diving), and got to play designated driver for everyone yesterday afternoon again. I've started creating my own meals at restaurants - and thankfully they've been cooperative - and I just make minor substitutions for myself when we're eating at home. So far so good! (Yesterday I ordered a plain romaine salad and a kimchi appetizer (minus the peanuts on top) and then combined the two for lunch; for dinner I threw a chicken filet on the grill while everyone else was having hot dogs, and I had spinach as a side instead of french fries. The greasy stuff isn't even looking appetizing to me anymore! :carrot:)

What was your question about diving? If it is going to be rigorous exercise have an extra, unrestricted packet before diving.

ragdoll74
12-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Nola- Normally my advice to someone close to goal is to just stick with it. In your case, I would say listen to your body. If you feel like your body needs a break, then do it.

Starshine
12-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Nola- Normally my advice to someone close to goal is to just stick with it. In your case, I would say listen to your body. If you feel like your body needs a break, then do it.

I agree with Ragdoll. I think this diet has taught me to listen more to my body, and I think that is a great lesson going forward. If you feel the need to take a break, I think it's a good idea.

And congrats on being so close to your Christmas goal! :)

1LittleStar
12-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Good morning,

It is the end of week 5 for me, and I had thoughts of skipping my weigh-in today. I bought enough food for two weeks since our holiday plans were up in the air. I did have a small slip over Christmas, which was part if my hesitation. But I've decided to go and face the scale! Normally, I would have gained 5-10 lbs over Christmas so I know I did better than that! And I don't want this o be the beginning of the slippery slope to quitting.

So here I go, wish me luck!

sonyainva
12-27-2012, 09:58 AM
Good morning everyone!

Bubbleblower, I would love to see one of those turtle pictures if you care to post it later!

I'm 1lb away from my Christmas mini-goal. I'm giving myself til WI on Sunday, though. I'm thinking about adjusting my end goal from 138 to 145 to give my body a break, as I would phase out for a month or so, then return to Phase 1 with a new, lower end goal of 135 lbs. The reason for this is because this diet has been very hard on my body, I have extreme hyperglycemia plus anemia and this diet leaves me with very low energy. Medically I'm ok, but I'm tired of the fatigue and feel I need a break. I'm not worried about my "will to return". I have a lot of willpower, as my visiting college nephews pointed out to me on a recent visit to NOLA as I easily stayed 100 OP and served them all the wonderful treats and temptations our fair city has to offer. Has anyone tried this before? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much! I've learned so much and received so much encouragement from my online IP family!

Nola - perfectly ok in my book, listen to your body. sounds like you are committed. do what feels right.

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 10:03 AM
WI tomorrow. My home scale bounced up 2 lbs in one day and I didn't do anything different. Must be water retention. I'll go with that..LOL

Eep!!! Don't weigh every day - you will drive yourself nuts! The weight DOES come off but our weight can fluctuate up to 2lb in a singled day, as well as between days.

Nola - have you thought about trying the IP protocol for diabetics? The weight loss wouldn't be as quick but it has you eating more regular foods and is designed for people with blood sugar issues. It's just a thought, might be a way to push to your goal weight without phasing off :)

I finally have a day off today, the weather is yucky but I may take the kids to the local indoor mini golf place to get some energy out, and possibly a movie :) I have Health Wise Cheese Puffs to snack on if that ends up happening, the hardest thing will be to keep the kids from running around like maniacs!

LoriKay
12-27-2012, 10:19 AM
usmcvetHave fun with your kids today! They grow up so fast!!

bubbleblowerWow! That sounds like an amazing dive! I would think that you need extra protien after a work out like that.

scorbett1103Again, have fun with your kids!! Mine are teens and we spend a lot of the day each doing our own things, but I try to get them to play a game to connect a little! Yesterday we were all doing Just Dance 4 and laughing a lot!

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Nola - have you thought about trying the IP protocol for diabetics? The weight loss wouldn't be as quick but it has you eating more regular foods and is designed for people with blood sugar issues. It's just a thought, might be a way to push to your goal weight without phasing off :)

I finally have a day off today, the weather is yucky but I may take the kids to the local indoor mini golf place to get some energy out, and possibly a movie :) I have Health Wise Cheese Puffs to snack on if that ends up happening, the hardest thing will be to keep the kids from running around like maniacs!

Scorbett-

I actually have thought about the diabetic IP alternative protocol. The reason I am hesitant is I can't find much info on the alternative protocol and I'm doing IP on my own. I don't feel I know enough to do the diabetic diet. I've searched the archives and found almost nothing, except an old post where someone said their BF was on it. I found some very basic info from IP documents online which say you get 3 additional food items per day (one carb group, 1 fruit group, one fats group) but it doesn't give any specifics on what is or isn't allowed, target carbs, fat, calories, etc. I read both that weight loss is "about the same" and "that weight loss is much slower", but I can't find any info. on what that means in practical application. If, for example, weight loss slowed drastically for most folks, say to 1/2 lb per week, it would be faster for me to take a month or two off then go back to phase 1. I feel like I'd be lost if I switched to the alternative protocol.

edited to add: I also had lots of trouble with hunger for 5-6 weeks, so I'm hesitant to introduce foods on the alternative plan that may bring back the hunger issue.

Kay2012
12-27-2012, 10:42 AM
Today was my WI. I have stayed 100% OP for 15 weeks. That's an exciting NSV'S for me. I know I've got this. I wasn't expecting a big loss with traveling and TOM. I was expecting a 0 loss. But, I very pleased with 1.2 lbs lost. Hope everyone has a great day.

A1Texan
12-27-2012, 10:58 AM
Today was my WI. I have stayed 100% OP for 15 weeks. That's an exciting NSV'S for me. I know I've got this. I wasn't expecting a big loss with traveling and TOM. I was expecting a 0 loss. But, I very pleased with 1.2 lbs lost. Hope everyone has a great day.
Congats Kay. Keep up the good work :carrot:

A1Texan
12-27-2012, 11:06 AM
I snagged this from the recipe thread for everyone that is looking for something different or suggestions. :dizzy: http://www.unlimitedlettuce.com/

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Lots of recipe thread links in the stickies and the first post of the daily thread, too

FutureFitChick
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Last night was OP. Breakfast today was OP. Just trying to keep myself focused and motivated to get through some work I really want done but don't always feel like doing.

BubbleBlower, where are you diving, if I may ask? I had just started IP when I was diving in October. We were at an all-inclusive, so I would either skip breakfast with an IP shake or stick mainly with hard-boiled eggs. But, when I was out on the boat, I would have a bar between dives. I also always had an extra couple shakes with me. I think one day I allowed myself to have an extra IP item due to fatigue. I pretty well listened to my body and took it easy when we weren't diving to keep up with the drain of the physical activity.

Kay2012, way to go on that fantastic NSV!

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Kay - great job!!!

Scorbett-

I actually have thought about the diabetic IP alternative protocol. The reason I am hesitant is I can't find much info on the alternative protocol and I'm doing IP on my own. I don't feel I know enough to do the diabetic diet. I've searched the archives and found almost nothing, except an old post where someone said their BF was on it. I found some very basic info from IP documents online which say you get 3 additional food items per day (one carb group, 1 fruit group, one fats group) but it doesn't give any specifics on what is or isn't allowed, target carbs, fat, calories, etc. I read both that weight loss is "about the same" and "that weight loss is much slower", but I can't find any info. on what that means in practical application. If, for example, weight loss slowed drastically for most folks, say to 1/2 lb per week, it would be faster for me to take a month or two off then go back to phase 1. I feel like I'd be lost if I switched to the alternative protocol.

edited to add: I also had lots of trouble with hunger for 5-6 weeks, so I'm hesitant to introduce foods on the alternative plan that may bring back the hunger issue.

Did you see the Alternative P1 and P2 sheets in the Newbie thread? I read through the P1 sheet and it's pretty clear as far as portion sizes and what foods you can add. You still are not counting carbs/fats/calories just like in regular P1. Faster may not be better if you're feeling miserable, and just like in P1, there's no predicting how your body will respond to ANY diet - you may lose at the same rate, you may only see a slight difference - but most importantly you may FEEL much better and stronger about sticking it out to the end.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4349574-post4.html

PepperTown
12-27-2012, 11:27 AM
OK....so I'm blocked up!!! Not feeling any pain, but I need to 'go'! Just purchased the Novi-Cure and started it. Any advice out there?

usmcvet
12-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Well I just snowblowed the driveway and realized I had not eaten yet. I used my new blender and tried the spinach shake for the first time. I used hot chocolate powder from Proti Diet. I buy it in a 17.6 ounce bottle. It is the closest I've found to the IP chocolate shakes. I drink it cold most of the time and add it to my coffee once in a while. It's not quite as good but close enough especially at 1/3 the price! It was pretty good but I need to run the blender longer next time so I don't have to chew the last of it. =). I like spinach so I think I've found a new way to get my veggies in consistently.

Here is a link. It has three times the servings of an IP box for about the same price.
http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/protidiet-hot-drink-hot-cocoa-jug-21-servings.html

NewPath
12-27-2012, 11:30 AM
Good morning everyone!

Nola,
You probably do not know me as I have not been on these threads for many, many months. First of all, congratulations on a job well done! I must be honest with you about taking a break. I have a few friends who stopped to take a break and it ended up being the worst mistake that they had ever made. They too had will power, but when they went back OP, it was just so very difficult going through the initial process all over again. Their weight losses were not as good, some ended up quitting and regaining. I would highly suggest talking to your coach about alternative plans...like maybe going on P2 or even P3 when you get a little closer to goal. I lost weight in all 4 phases. Also, have you checked with your primary care physician with regards to your hyperglycemia and anemia? I hope that I have helped you. I had a really hard time toughing it out...especially towards the end. But, I did it and now my weight is consistent and I feel great. The fun meal/day is an awesome thing to look forward to in P4!:hug:

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 11:31 AM
OK....so I'm blocked up!!! Not feeling any pain, but I need to 'go'! Just purchased the Novi-Cure and started it. Any advice out there?

Come here before you buy that from IP :)

You can get Smooth Move tea (senna tea), Sugar Free metamucil or psyllium husks, and Miralax from the regular store at a fraction of the cost, and the effect will be the same if not better.

The big C is very common on IP because we are not getting nearly as much "roughage" with grains eliminated from the diet. It's part of why getting all your veggies is SO important, that is your only source of fiber unless you take psyllium husks or other fiber product daily. Also drinking all of your water is key, dehydration will make the big C worse.

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Kay - great job!!!

Did you see the Alternative P1 and P2 sheets in the Newbie thread?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4349574-post4.html

No, I had not, TYVM! I did search archives in several different ways and this didn't come up. I could only find a very general description of the Alt. protocol in the IP overview documents which briefly mention it exists and has 3 additional allowances over normal IP. Off to read!

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
No, I had not, TYVM! I did search archives in several different ways and this didn't come up. I could only find a very general description of the Alt. protocol in the IP overview documents which briefly mention it exists and has 3 additional allowances over normal IP. Off to read!

You're welcome!!!

NinjaNurse
12-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Pissy mood part deux.

Still having some pain. On Cipro and waiting for a call back from the RN for suggestions on how to take Cipro BID and all the Mg.

Lab work came back WNL. (Better than ever actually!) Urine is ??? so I'll go with that.

Lost 2lbs according to Drs office, 1.8 at WI. Took the two as a small present.

Didn't get measured, just *****ed at because I needed to buy vits and I said no. I have been forgetting so I am behind. Guess they won't take buying vits online well now will they?

Who'd thunk I'd miss rockin bod coach??? Back to my regular day next week.

A1Texan
12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Pepper....If you are a fan of Mexican food like I am, then try eating a lot of fresh salsa (w/jalapenos of course) over your salads. This combination always loosens things up quite a bit. Okra is a good source for me as well....nasty topic but... :o

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Nola,
You probably do not know me as I have not been on these threads for many, many months. First of all, congratulations on a job well done! I must be honest with you about taking a break. I have a few friends who stopped to take a break and it ended up being the worst mistake that they had ever made. They too had will power, but when they went back OP, it was just so very difficult going through the initial process all over again. Their weight losses were not as good, some ended up quitting and regaining. I would highly suggest talking to your coach about alternative plans...like maybe going on P2 or even P3 when you get a little closer to goal. I lost weight in all 4 phases. Also, have you checked with your primary care physician with regards to your hyperglycemia and anemia? I hope that I have helped you. I had a really hard time toughing it out...especially towards the end. But, I did it and now my weight is consistent and I feel great. The fun meal/day is an awesome thing to look forward to in P4!:hug:

Newpath-

Thanks, I feel like I do know you, I read the archives a lot :)

I am coachless, doing IP by myself, but under the care of drs-PCP and cardiologist (no heart problems, but I had a full cardio workup not long before starting IP.) I can also see from archives how many folks have taken breaks and never returned to IP. I might try the alternative protocol for a few weeks and see how it goes...I just wish more folks here were on the alternative protocol to give me their perspective.

Bellamack
12-27-2012, 11:44 AM
Good Morning all,

Well, my daughter has been home from Cali and alls she wanted was snow, well I guess she got it, we have about a foot. lol. Now she is hoping it doesn't delay her flight home tomorrow. tee hee.

for the bic "C" the senna tea is the best.

have a great day :)

Shedit
12-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Good morning everyone!

I'm 1lb away from my Christmas mini-goal. I'm giving myself til WI on Sunday, though. I'm thinking about adjusting my end goal from 138 to 145 to give my body a break, as I would phase out for a month or so, then return to Phase 1 with a new, lower end goal of 135 lbs. The reason for this is because this diet has been very hard on my body, I have extreme hyperglycemia plus anemia and this diet leaves me with very low energy. Medically I'm ok, but I'm tired of the fatigue and feel I need a break. I'm not worried about my "will to return". I have a lot of willpower, as my visiting college nephews pointed out to me on a recent visit to NOLA as I easily stayed 100 OP and served them all the wonderful treats and temptations our fair city has to offer. Has anyone tried this before? !
I agree with you that the plan is hard on my body too. I feel great most of the time but it is easy to run out of energy for sure! And I do think ketosis in shorter bursts once we are at goal weight is preferable. My body likes to adapt to whatever I throw at it. I can tell from reading the boards that going off and on P1 can become a bigger challenge, seems like the first time is the easiest for most. BUT like you when I stall I will definitely change things and consider a return to P1. You are doing a GREAT job!
Jan

NewPath
12-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Kay,
AMAZING!!!!!! WTG!!!!!! You must feel like a million bucks!!! Congrats!!!!:hug:

ragdoll74
12-27-2012, 12:03 PM
Newpath-

I am coachless, doing IP by myself, but under the care of drs-PCP and cardiologist (no heart problems, but I had a full cardio workup not long before starting IP.) I can also see from archives how many folks have taken breaks and never returned to IP. I might try the alternative protocol for a few weeks and see how it goes...I just wish more folks here were on the alternative protocol to give me their perspective.

You don't actually go into ketosis on the alternative plan, it is really just reduced calories. You might want to add just one of the 3 additional items and see if you feel better. Sort of a hybrid of the regular phase one and alternative.

NewPath
12-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Newpath-

Nola, You are going about this systematically, reading up on eveything, that is awesome. I really thrive on the weekly weigh-in, kudos for you being able to go it alone!
One thing that really works for me for energy and blood sugar issues...is, red pepper slices. My first two months on plan were really tough. I was REALLY hungry, my blood work showed that I was just points away from diabetes. (My numbers are all normal now.) Red pepper slices helped me with the fatigue and EXTREME, stop you in your tracks, hunger. I was getting those hunger bouts about an hour after my lunch. VERY weird. But, the red pepper slices along with another, extra packet...did the trick. Then magically, for no unknown reason, the insulin spikes or drops...whatever they were, went away...and have never come back. I was very concerned about how my pancreas would react to in maintainance.....I am happy to say, my pancreas is just fine. I do obviously stay away from high carb stuff, but IP did reset my pancreas. On fun days, I feel good. The day after, I feel good.
At some point my coach discovered that I was going to long between snacks/meals. Not sure if this was the issue all along...but, to this day...I am busy snacking at least every 3 hours. I have as many packets as I want. Yup. Though usually any extra packets are blue/cran, pina, or orange drink....all low in carbs and sugar, and high in protein. Oh, and I also discovered that my bod does not do to well with the artificial sweetners.....MIO just about sent me over the edge. Good luck, my friend. You are doing so, so very well! :hug: Jules

jmuroff1
12-27-2012, 12:20 PM
Today is Day 2 of being back on the program. I noticed it's a little harder to hop back on after cheating but I am determined :) Had a small cheat but it's difficult to get back cold turkey I guess. Today I have a slight headache so my body is adjusting again :) I will be back to losing in NO TIME!! :D

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 12:42 PM

You've gotten lots of suggestions. If P1 makes you feel that bad, I'd say there is no reason to suffer. Have you tried P2? My mom did it when she had about 12 lbs to go and her WL slowdown was negligible (she's 72 btw). I'd experiment til I found something that didnt make me so miserable...

Today is Day 2 of being back on the program. I noticed it's a little harder to hop back on after cheating but I am determined :) Had a small cheat but it's difficult to get back cold turkey I guess. Today I have a slight headache so my body is adjusting again :) I will be back to losing in NO TIME!! :D
If you need an extra, make it a 4th (or 5th) packet. You'll still lose and won't be cheating. You CAN do this. How do I know? If I can, ANYONE can!

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 01:00 PM
You don't actually go into ketosis on the alternative plan, it is really just reduced calories. You might want to add just one of the 3 additional items and see if you feel better. Sort of a hybrid of the regular phase one and alternative.

Ragdoll. If I did only 1 of the items, I'm guessing I would probably stay in ketosis, then wouldn't that just be like adding more calories? If so, then wouldn't an additional packet (or 1/2 packet) give the same advantage?

Jules,

Thanks for the feedback. I considered alternative protocol early on because of hypoglycemia/anemia but didn't do it because I read hypoglycemia improves for many folks on IP. Not me, though, evidently there is a difference in hereditary versus diet induced hypoglycemia. I'm VERY happy I have stayed on regular phase 1for 12 weeks because of the pancreas reset issue. I only dieted once before IP to lose 15lbs...it was a high protein/low cal/low carb diet, similar to IP alternative, and it was successful for me then. Sometime after, I gained a lot of weight from being on a med. which altered my metabolism, so I went back to that low carb, low cal. diet and nothing, no weight loss! So I tried IP, because of the promise of the pancreas reset. I think it has worked but it's been hard, I've made several adjustments thanks to advice I got here which helped, dividing my packets and food and spreading them more evenly across the day, plus adding an iron supplement. I've a few new things to think about today, good advice. I'm afraid to go out of ketosis, but I need to do something different, says my body, to get the energy I need to get through the day and the rest of my weight loss. I know several people "in real life" who have done IP with coaches, and they all say their energy issues were much more minor, so I know it's a real issue, not just in my head. The body says it's time for another tweak, I just have to decide what/how. The good part about tweaking is if it doesn't work, you can go back to what you were doing.

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 01:05 PM
You've gotten lots of suggestions. If P1 makes you feel that bad, I'd say there is no reason to suffer. Have you tried P2? My mom did it when she had about 12 lbs to go and her WL slowdown was negligible (she's 72 btw). I'd experiment til I found something that didnt make me so miserable...

If you need an extra, make it a 4th (or 5th) packet. You'll still lose and won't be cheating. You CAN do this. How do I know? If I can, ANYONE can!

Ha ha Lisa! I told myself I was going to start P2 last week to deal with my issues, and I tried it for 1 day, then "chickened out!" I am so afraid of slowing my weight loss. But it is time to try something else. :)

ragdoll74
12-27-2012, 01:24 PM
Ragdoll. If I did only 1 of the items, I'm guessing I would probably stay in ketosis, then wouldn't that just be like adding more calories? If so, then wouldn't an additional packet (or 1/2 packet) give the same advantage?

You can try going with the lowest carb & calorie option that makes you feel better. You can try experimenting over the next couple of weeks.

You can also check to see what kind of proteins are in the alternatives you use. Casein is a slower digesting protein, so it helps to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Whey is a quickly digested protein. From what I have read, it's best to have a combination of both.

bubbleblower
12-27-2012, 01:41 PM
What was your question about diving? If it is going to be rigorous exercise have an extra, unrestricted packet before diving.

I had been wondering what would be suggested for me to add in terms of modifying the diet for the increased calories burned. Today I added one packet overall and timed everything so I had a shake at my normal breakfast time, an IP bar after the first dive and a shake after dive 2. Then I had IP soup with veggies. I feel a whole lot better than I did yesterday! Later I'll have chicken and veggies. Sound reasonable? I'm also increasing my water intake. Each dive was about an hour and the water temps are 79-80. I was getting pretty chilled by the end of the second dive. No strong currents but a fair amount of swimming.

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Can anyone tell me how to determine the milk fat percentage of cheese? I googled for guidelines or a list but didn't find anything I understood. IP Alternative Protocol says you are allowed:

30g cheese (about 20% M.F.)

I looked at a few cheeses in our fridge and can't figure out how to tell the MF %. Thanks in advance

bubbleblower
12-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Good morning everyone!

Happy to! Will do later on when I'm back on the computer. (On the iPad right now.)

maezy1
12-27-2012, 02:21 PM
NOLA - I know that you are struggling with this decision. For medical reasons, just had major surgery, I was told that I had to go off IP for 3 weeks. I have had to add things in like milk and more fiber/grains and have been very careful as to what I have added and how I added it. It's very hard to tell where my weight loss is right now because my knee is so swollen but the scale says I am losing so I am happy with that. I am anxious for 1/1/13 to get here because I plan to go back OP 100% again.

Chloe222
12-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Good morning!! I'm going diving again this morning but am going to be better prepared today.
The dives yesterday were beautiful, and I saw (and got shots of) the biggest loggerhead turtle I've ever seen!
I've managed to stay OP (never did get a response from my coach about suggested modifications for diving), and got to play designated driver for everyone yesterday afternoon again.

Bubbleblower,
I'm also a diver and know how demanding it can be. Sounds like you got a lot advice by now and have sorted it out. I would have said to listen to your body, have 2-3 extra packets, and lots of extra water and a nap if possible. I look forward to seeing some of those wonderful pics!

The reason for this is because this diet has been very hard on my body, I have extreme hyperglycemia plus anemia and this diet leaves me with very low energy. Medically I'm ok, but I'm tired of the fatigue and feel I need a break.

Nola,
Some people lack an enzyme that allows them to absorb iron well and so tend to have a problem with anemia. My sister was tested for this and has this problem. I haven't been tested for this particular enzyme, but my blood analysis showed very low iron levels despite eating a fair amount of red meat. I definitely feel better eating red meat twice a week, you might want to try that.

WI tomorrow. My home scale bounced up 2 lbs in one day and I didn't do anything different. Must be water retention. I'll go with that..LOL LOL! It's frustrating but it will go away, then come back, then go away, then...keep that cheerful attitude!

I have this problem too. Scorbett and others gave good advice. I now use a T of Benefiber in my coffee. Seems to work fine. Some days even 2 T.

JMuroff1,
Today is also day 2 for me of a reboot. Yesterday went well and I was relieved when I went to bed w/o any cheating. Yes, it is harder to get back OP when you've fallen off. I'm looking forward to reading about your continued success!

You can try going with the lowest carb & calorie option that makes you feel better. You can try experimenting over the next couple of weeks.

You can also check to see what kind of proteins are in the alternatives you use. Casein is a slower digesting protein, so it helps to keep your blood sugar levels steady. Whey is a quickly digested protein. From what I have read, it's best to have a combination of both.

Casein is a great protein to take before bedtime. Because it is slower digesting, your body will stay in ketosis better than with whey protein. So I have 2 different forms of protein powder: whey during the day, casein right before bedtime.

Thanks to all for your comments. As I get back in the saddle, I'm all the stronger by reading your posts (to each other, not necessarily to me!). This is such an interesting journey.

Best,
Chloe

1LittleStar
12-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Just back from my weigh-in that I almost didn't go to, and lost 2.2 lbs! Yeah! 23 lbs total so far.

Thanks to everyone that posts here, it really is motivating!

exactor
12-27-2012, 03:22 PM
Isn't it amazing to have lost weight over Christmas week?! Good job to everyone! I weighed in today and lost 5.4 lbs.! Woohoo! Even though it was SO HARD to not eat all of the traditional yummy food and sweets, my weigh in made it totally worth it. I kept telling myself that I've had it all before and I'll have it next year but this year I can just stay OP, and it was SO worth it!

1LittleStar
12-27-2012, 03:32 PM
Isn't it amazing to have lost weight over Christmas week?! Good job to everyone! I weighed in today and lost 5.4 lbs.! Woohoo! Even though it was SO HARD to not eat all of the traditional yummy food and sweets, my weigh in made it totally worth it. I kept telling myself that I've had it all before and I'll have it next year but this year I can just stay OP, and it was SO worth it!

It IS amazing to lose weight over the holidays!

Awesome loss this week! 5.4lbs is amazing. You are doing fantastic. You must feel absolutely great!

Nolawhodatchick
12-27-2012, 03:47 PM
Casein is a great protein to take before bedtime. Because it is slower digesting, your body will stay in ketosis better than with whey protein. So I have 2 different forms of protein powder: whey during the day, casein right before bedtime.

It looks like most of my products contain whey protein, if I am understanding the ingredients lists correctly. Are all/most IP products whey protein? I do have a bunch of ZONE protein power that is a "protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate)"...would this be a source of casein protein I could add to my shakes? It is 35 cal, 7g protein, 1 carb, 0 sugar, 0 fat, so I think otherwise it's an acceptable alternative food, just don't know if this is casein or not... Thanks!

Kat117
12-27-2012, 04:07 PM
I hit a lovely mini goal of 65 pounds gone! 17 weeks so far and still 100% OP.

Is it weird that this actually seems easy now? I gues my body likes this way of eating. I only get cravings one day a month and that is because of TOM. I just give in and have an extra restricted (with coach's approval) and then I am fine again.

I find though that I want to eat less and less food. I would be content if I could just have my drink mixes for all meals. I have to force myself to eat solid food some days.

onmyway1014
12-27-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi everyone -

I do think it is AMAZING to be losing weight during the holidays when most people are gaining it... We should all be quite pleased with ourselves.

I have to get something off my chest about my coach. I know other have had less than positive experiences si I thought I would share mine.

I went to my weigh in today and had lost 3 pounds. I was very happy with that until my coach said: "It would have been nice to know what a good week you could have had without those 2 cupcakes" I said cupcakes -I didn't eat any cupcakes - I made cupcakes but didn't eat any. Coach then said: Oh come on, not even one BLT? (bite, lick or taste) At this I was very insulted and deflated. Is she calling me a liar?

Then she said maybe it says cukes - but hadn't let it go because she brought it up again later - When I commented that my lean mass had gone up and my fat down for the first time and I had just read that this was the ideal combination and I was pleased to see it in the numbers. she said: you realize we can tell when you have extra carbs because your lean mass goes up because you retain more water.

She is not my regular coach and I hope not to have to see her again. I'm only going because I had to pay a fee up front and can't see throwing that money out the window.

What purpose does it serve to make me feel bad about myself? especially on a week I was successful? I have lost each week - and feel proud of myself - I've lost 50 lbs in about 11 weeks and from what I can tell have followed the plan 100%.

I am getting a little mad that I've paid good money to be insulted.

When I got home I saw what she had highlighted in my journal and it was my lunch which said 2 cups cukes - which I eat every day for lunch.

Sorry for the long post - Now I think I'm getting more upset because I let her get to me. Hopefully I don't need to see her again. I understand "tough love" but in my case I wasn't needing any this week :)

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I hit a lovely mini goal of 65 pounds gone! 17 weeks so far and still 100% OP.

Is it weird that this actually seems easy now? I gues my body likes this way of eating. I only get cravings one day a month and that is because of TOM. I just give in and have an extra restricted (with coach's approval) and then I am fine again.

I find though that I want to eat less and less food. I would be content if I could just have my drink mixes for all meals. I have to force myself to eat solid food some days.
65 in 17 weeks? JEALOUS!
Good for you! Keep eating your real foods too :)

Hi everyone -

I do think it is AMAZING to be losing weight during the holidays when most people are gaining it... We should all be quite pleased with ourselves.

I have to get something off my chest about my coach. I know other have had less than positive experiences si I thought I would share mine.

I went to my weigh in today and had lost 3 pounds. I was very happy with that until my coach said: "It would have been nice to know what a good week you could have had without those 2 cupcakes" I said cupcakes -I didn't eat any cupcakes - I made cupcakes but didn't eat any. Coach then said: Oh come on, not even one BLT? (bite, lick or taste) At this I was very insulted and deflated. Is she calling me a liar?

Then she said maybe it says cukes - but hadn't let it go because she brought it up again later - When I commented that my lean mass had gone up and my fat down for the first time and I had just read that this was the ideal combination and I was pleased to see it in the numbers. she said: you realize we can tell when you have extra carbs because your lean mass goes up because you retain more water.

She is not my regular coach and I hope not to have to see her again. I'm only going because I had to pay a fee up front and can't see throwing that money out the window.

What purpose does it serve to make me feel bad about myself? especially on a week I was successful? I have lost each week - and feel proud of myself - I've lost 50 lbs in about 11 weeks and from what I can tell have followed the plan 100%.

When I got home I saw what she had highlighted in my journal and it was my lunch which said 2 cups cukes - which I eat every day for lunch.

Sorry for the long post - Now I think I'm getting more upset because I let her get to me. Hopefully I don't need to see her again. I understand "tough love" but in my case I wasn't needing any this week :)
I have a name for coaches this and is is about as nice as they are (which is not at all nice)
I get blind-sided by people like this and never have the right thing to say in the moment. However, you can call the clinic, ask to speak to her and tell her that belittling you did noting but tick you off and you will NOT be working with her in the future. You could also talk to her boss and make your feelings known. We feel bad enough about ourselves for getting to be the weight we got to. We don't need ANYONE making us feel bad. Coaches are for building us UP and helping, not tearing us down. And besides, you are PAYING for service. It needs to be positive!

mrskuby
12-27-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi everyone! I am not feeling well today...feels like strep throat!! But I am so excited about last night's WI that I just had to log on and post...I lost another 5lbs! So I have officially lost 10.8lbs in 2 weeks! Amazing! I had posted yesterday that I thought I'd be going off plan this weekend while traveling but my Ipeeps talked me down from the ledge and a great WI sealed the deal! I am going to do everything in my power to stay OP! :carrot:

I hope you all have a great day!

lisa32989
12-27-2012, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone! I am not feeling well today...feels like strep throat!! But I am so excited about last night's WI that I just had to log on and post...I lost another 5lbs! So I have officially lost 10.8lbs in 2 weeks! Amazing! I had posted yesterday that I thought I'd be going off plan this weekend while traveling but my Ipeeps talked me down from the ledge and a great WI sealed the deal! I am going to do everything in my power to stay OP! :carrot:

I hope you all have a great day!

Yay! Stay OP with me into the new year. We can do it together!

MonicaKolesnik
12-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Hi everyone -

She is a bag. that is really all I have to offer. You are doing great, amazing really, be proud and don't let stupid people get you down. You know what you ate and you are the customer and she has absolutely no right to make you feel bad!! 50lbs in 11 weeks as FANTASTIC!!!!

MonicaKolesnik
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I am finally off work....need to say that again I AM FINALLY OFF. Wow was the hospital busy over Christmas, and 12hr Night shifts (3 in a row) takes it out of you. Is it bad that I plan on spending the whole day in my PJ's cleaning and making pumpkin pies for my family who is driving down tomorrow. I will not be partaking in the pies or other holiday fair that I have stocked the house with though, I am planning to stay 100% OP. So i may be back for more support then usual the next few days because you guys give me strength!!

1LittleStar
12-27-2012, 04:40 PM
I hit a lovely mini goal of 65 pounds gone! 17 weeks so far and still 100% OP. .

Way to go! 65 lbs in 17 weeks is amazing!!!

1LittleStar
12-27-2012, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone -

Wow, how frustrating and discouraging! And so hard when it gets to you and you think of all the clever responses after. Hopefully you don't get her again. I would consider letting her boss know. Can you imagine how much damage she can be doing?

BTW you are doing amazing! Not only did you lose 3lbs over the holidays, you have lost 50lbs in 11 weeks!! Congrats and keep it up!

ptod
12-27-2012, 04:52 PM
... The reason for this is because this diet has been very hard on my body, I have extreme hyperglycemia plus anemia and this diet leaves me with very low energy. Medically I'm ok, but I'm tired of the fatigue and feel I need a break. .... Any thoughts or suggestions?

Nola -

You have received lots of good suggestions to consider as you make your decision. I have another suggestion that may work, but a little background first.

Recently I contemplated phasing off to P3 then back to P1 as Wuv did a while back since my body seemed to be stuck in the 180s. In fact, it took me ten WIs to get through the 180's. I have been OP since October 2011 and even though I do have quite a bit of loose skin to account for, I knew that I still had/have some more actual pounds to lose. I couldn't decide whether I was just getting frustrated or that my body really did need a break after being OP for so long.

Since I was on the fence about what to actually do, I decided that gathering more information about low carb living in general would be a good thing for the future. I read a lot of books (yes, actual books :D ) from the library and I keep running into the suggestion to start taking L-carnitine. I had heard about it before, but never did any reading about it. The conclusion I took away from all the reading was this nutrient is critical for energy formation and an active metabolism.

So I figured that making this tweak wouldn't hurt and if there was no movement, I would just discuss my thoughts to move through phases with my coach. Since my doctors didn't object, mid week, I added 400mg to my morning & evening pills (I only take supplements twice a day after eating my bigger meals). When my next WI came around, I was down 2.4# - remember not even a full week of the tweak. When I got to my WI yesterday, I stunned my coach. I dropped 5.8#. I didn't change anything else in my normal routine in the last two weeks except adding the new pill.

Do I know for a fact that the L-carnitine was what did it? Nope. Could my body have been getting ready to let go anyway? Perhaps. I will add that since taking the L-carnitine, I have not had the urge to take a short nap in the afternoon - even when one or multiple cats curl up in my lap, so my energy level seems to be a bit better as well.

Just one more thing to contemplate and discuss with your doctors. Whatever you decide, just remember you have lots of people here that have your back! ;)

A1Texan
12-27-2012, 05:00 PM
I am some kind of jealous of you and more motivated than ever. I know I'll hit bumpy roads but OMG 65lbs in 17wks.....Inspiration for sure....!

NewPath
12-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Nola -

You have received lots of good suggestions to consider as you make your decision. I have another suggestion that may work, but a little background first.

Recently I contemplated phasing off to P3 then back to P1 as Wuv did a while back since my body seemed to be stuck in the 180s. In fact, it took me ten WIs to get through the 180's. I have been OP since October 2011 and even though I do have quite a bit of loose skin to account for, I knew that I still had/have some more actual pounds to lose. I couldn't decide whether I was just getting frustrated or that my body really did need a break after being OP for so long.

Since I was on the fence about what to actually do, I decided that gathering more information about low carb living in general would be a good thing for the future. I read a lot of books (yes, actual books :D ) from the library and I keep running into the suggestion to start taking L-carnitine. I had heard about it before, but never did any reading about it. The conclusion I took away from all the reading was this nutrient is critical for energy formation and an active metabolism.

So I figured that making this tweak wouldn't hurt and if there was no movement, I would just discuss my thoughts to move through phases with my coach. Since my doctors didn't object, mid week, I added 400mg to my morning & evening pills (I only take supplements twice a day after eating my bigger meals). When my next WI came around, I was down 2.4# - remember not even a full week of the tweak. When I got to my WI yesterday, I stunned my coach. I dropped 5.8#. I didn't change anything else in my normal routine in the last two weeks except adding the new pill.

Do I know for a fact that the L-carnitine was what did it? Nope. Could my body have been getting ready to let go anyway? Perhaps. I will add that since taking the L-carnitine, I have not had the urge to take a short nap in the afternoon - even when one or multiple cats curl up in my lap, so my energy level seems to be a bit better as well.

Just one more thing to contemplate and discuss with your doctors. Whatever you decide, just remember you have lots of people here that have your back! ;)

PTOD!!!!! How are you????? Thank you for this awesome tip!!!!!!!

tam67green
12-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Hi everyone -

Sorry that you had to go through that. That sort of belittling attitude is completely unacceptable! 50 lbs in 11 weeks is amazing and you have every right to feel proud of yourself! As you said, hopefully you won't have to see her again.

Today was a stressful day. First my son and I had to scrape off the driveway from all the snow and sleet yesterday, only to find that my car wouldn't start. I don't like to feel stranded, so I used my husband's 2nd car to jump start mine. I had never done that before, so I was quite proud of myself. Then, I drove the car around the block to charge it and when I got home the door between the garage and the kitchen was wide open. I had left the garage open because I knew I would only be gone for a few minutes, and the one of the 25-30 mph wind gusts we had today must have blown the kitchen door open. So one of our dogs got out, and she was nowhere to be found! She is my shadow, so I think she went out looking for me and decided to explore while she was at it. My son and I were frantic, and spent about 45 minutes outside calling and trying to find her. We had just pulled out of the driveway to drive up the road again to look for her, when she came running down the road. Oh, I was SO relieved! At least we live on a very quiet cul-de-sac, but there is a busy two-lane road very close to us. Too bad IP doesn't allow alcohol, I could use a glass of wine today!

I'm off to cook baked ziti for my son and his sleepover guest, then some grilled chicken and asparagus for me and hubby. Have a great evening, everyone!

bubbleblower
12-27-2012, 06:07 PM
Here's one of the shots from the series where the Loggerhead was coming toward me yesterday. I couldn't believe it when he actually went right into me, and then up and [barely] over. He just swam around and beside me for about ten minutes while I snapped away. Thank goodness I had a super-wide fisheye lens on the camera so he was able to get really close and I was still able to fit him into the frame. He's a lot bigger than he looks here!

Sorry about the big watermark. I've just gotten very hesitant about posting my pics on the web after a couple of bad experiences so now I always downsize them and add a watermark.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/eerickso/turtle-3_zps109e7342.jpg

LoriKay
12-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Mrskuby Way to decide to stay on plan!! I know you can do it and you will feel like you have power over food, which is important!!

MonicaKolesnik Thanks for working the night shift over the holiday. We need people like you to help people like us! You deserve to keep your PJs on for a day!!

Bubbleblower Your picture is amazing!! I can't even imagine seeing something like that up close. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Chloe222
12-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Just back from my weigh-in that I almost didn't go to, and lost 2.2 lbs! Yeah! 23 lbs total so far.

Congrats on the loss! Feels good, doesn't it?

Amazing! Love it and it's inspirational!

It looks like most of my products contain whey protein, if I am understanding the ingredients lists correctly. Are all/most IP products whey protein? I do have a bunch of ZONE protein power that is a "protein blend (whey protein isolate, milk protein isolate)"...would this be a source of casein protein I could add to my shakes? It is 35 cal, 7g protein, 1 carb, 0 sugar, 0 fat, so I think otherwise it's an acceptable alternative food, just don't know if this is casein or not... Thanks!

Not sure if that Zone milk powder is casein. Is there a customer service number or website on that product so you could reach out to them and find out?

Hi everyone -

As others have said, I would consider speaking to her manager. That's no way to treat a client. Other people, treated that way, w/o the support we have here, could end up leaving IP.

I am finally off work....need to say that again I AM FINALLY OFF. Wow was the hospital busy over Christmas, and 12hr Night shifts (3 in a row) takes it out of you. Is it bad that I plan on spending the whole day in my PJ's cleaning and making pumpkin pies for my family who is driving down tomorrow. I will not be partaking in the pies or other holiday fair that I have stocked the house with though, I am planning to stay 100% OP. So i may be back for more support then usual the next few days because you guys give me strength!!

Great job on no BLTs!

Here's one of the shots from the series where the Loggerhead was coming toward me yesterday. I couldn't believe it when he actually went right into me, and then up and [barely] over. He just swam around and beside me for about ten minutes while I snapped away. Thank goodness I had a super-wide fisheye lens on the camera so he was able to get really close and I was still able to fit him into the frame. He's a lot bigger than he looks here!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/eerickso/turtle-3_zps109e7342.jpg

Great photo!

Re L carnitine, I used to take it and actually forgot about it. Thanks for bringing it up! I'll start taking it again. The brand I used was Vitamin Shoppe Triple Strength L-Carnitine. They advise 1 T (liquid) once a day on an empty stomach. Supposed to promote muscular energy and assist in fat metabolism.

byugrl
12-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone !

It feels like I lifetime since I posted. These holidays keep me busy and we're moving our office at work. Things are calming down a bit ..Thank goodness. I hope everyone had a great holiday ! Missed my WI this week so we'll see next Wednesday. Crossing fingers !

Suchawittygal
12-27-2012, 07:35 PM

CONGRATS!! That's great news!!:carrot:

Calisto
12-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Well weigh in was yesterday, I was down another 2.4 lbs and hubby down 4+ lbs! Saw the doctor (usually just see the nurse) and she praised us, she said most people that come to her gained 2-3 lbs over Christmas weekend/week!

Hubby is officially over his halfway mark and if he keeps on like he has been he will be there in no time!

I am excited because my birthday is January 7th, 2 months from when we started IP and by then I will (unless something weird happens) have lost 40 lbs! So excited!

I have multiple people asking me about it and looking at starting after there is an open house in January at our clinic! I have one friend looking into alternatives just because her pocketbook is a bit tighter due to going to school this next year... but I have told her about this great message board to come on for support and ideas!

Anyway, thought I would share my weigh in news, 1/3 of the way there for me! We got over the worst right? The HOLIDAYS!! Yea! Great job everyone!

Calisto
12-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Just hope you never have to see her again! It's the same with the one nurse I had that weighed me in! She wasn't insulting like yours but she was very detatched and didn't seem to care or give encouragement!

maezy1
12-27-2012, 08:07 PM
ONMYWAY - I would definitely complain to someone about your treatment. Even if you had eaten 2 cupcakes you still lost 3 + lbs. And losing that much and eating cupcakes makes no sense. No she isn't an expert to tell whether your lean mass etc is lost, those machines are just bling and not worthwhile. bottom line 1- she needs to learn to read 2 cups cukes does not equal 2 cupcakes and 2 no on has the right to belittle you , 3 you have paid her for this service and you expect to get good service.

BUBBLEBLOWER - WOW!!!! unbelievable pics!!!! keep posting!

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Onmyway - I agree with those who have said you need to contact the clinic owner. She may have *thought* she was giving you "tough love" at first, but as soon as she realized she had misread your journal, she should have apologized for the mistake and moved on. The fact that she continued to bring it up and was so insulting to imply that you were lying is completely arrogant and out of line. That is not the attitude of someone trying to help you, that is someone pulling a power play. If it were me, I'd tell them that I will never be seen by that person again, or I would be taking my business elsewhere.

Big HOOOOORAAYYYYYY for all the great WIs!!!

PepperTown
12-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Help :-)
I've searched for the link to the page which states the amount of carbs and calories and protein etc. each package of IP has, but I can't find it. Can someone please send it to me.
Thank you in advance.

Debrasb
12-27-2012, 08:36 PM
ONMYWAY - I would definitely complain to someone about your treatment. Even if you had eaten 2 cupcakes you still lost 3 + lbs. And losing that much and eating cupcakes makes no sense. No she isn't an expert to tell whether your lean mass etc is lost, those machines are just bling and not worthwhile. bottom line 1- she needs to learn to read 2 cups cukes does not equal 2 cupcakes and 2 no on has the right to belittle you , 3 you have paid her for this service and you expect to get good service.

I totally agree. Even if you had eaten cupcakes, she should have been encouraging and working with you to figure out how to help you stay OP. Not chastise you in any way. And it wasn't even correct!!! You need to feel comfortable and supported.

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Help :-)
I've searched for the link to the page which states the amount of carbs and calories and protein etc. each package of IP has, but I can't find it. Can someone please send it to me.
Thank you in advance.

I believe there are PDFs in the Newbie thread, but I usually just go to www.plainprotein.com - each product description has a picture of the side panel with the nutritional breakdown.

Sammie12
12-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Good evening everyone. Had wi this am gained 1.5 lbs. UGH! Coach think it may be from the fact tom is here & also I started to exercise alittle too much over the holidays. My nieces got dance 4 for the wii & they challenged me to it.. LOL, what a sight it was me against a 8 yr old & 12 yr old.. Good thing is I still have moves.. LOL!!
Great wi's today...

ptod
12-27-2012, 09:56 PM
PTOD!!!!! How are you????? Thank you for this awesome tip!!!!!!!

I have been hanging in there. Really more lurking than posting these days. ;) Still trying to decide what my final goal will be - dropping it 5# at a time till I see my primary care person on Jan 2nd.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see more familiar faces back on the board as the new year arrives.

Good to see you again!

Wild wire
12-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I had a great surprise today at my weigh in - I lost 4.6 this week! I think this was the whoosh fairy!

MonicaKolesnik
12-27-2012, 10:20 PM
MonicaKolesnik Thanks for working the night shift over the holiday. We need people like you to help people like us! You deserve to keep your PJs on for a day!!

Thanks so much :)

Chloe222 thankyou as well :)

Lose2Win
12-27-2012, 11:54 PM
WI day today...lost 2.5 pounds making me 205...oh onederland, you are so close!! This weight loss is celebrated much more, because I know all of the delicious foods I passed up over the holidays...so proud of my self control. My family members were so miserable and uncomfortable, and kept complaining about how stuffed they were. I used to be one of them :). My brother had the lap band surgery last summer, and sadly for him, he has gained about 40 pounds back. He has not changed any eating habits. I considered it at one time, and am soooooooo happy I decided against it. Maintenance will always be the long road, but I feel better that I am learning to exercise some self control. Have a wonderful day everyone :)

LizRR
12-28-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey everyone, quick check-in! Planning on meeting up with a new running group tomorrow for Friday runs ...been sick the past few days but ready to jump back on!