Weight and Resistance Training - New rules of lifting "supercharged"

stlrsgrl43
12-26-2012, 10:08 PM
The new rules of lifting "supercharged" is being released tomm dec. 27, is anyone planning on starting this program. I finished NRLW over a month ago. I have lost 60 pounds since january but gained 10 back last month after a trip to florida and have been having trouble getting back on track. I loved NRLW and am excited about starting this new program. Who's with me???:carrot:

fitmom
12-27-2012, 06:24 PM
I saw where this was coming out. I'm almost done with the New Rules abs program and completed the women's program back in April. I may do the Lifting for Life book next and then this one. I'm such a fan of this series, seriously. I've had great success with them. Let us know how it goes. :)

stlrsgrl43
12-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Well turns out that Barnes & Nobles didnt get the book in so i bought it on itunes and am looking it over on my ipad which actually works out better because it has videos of some of the moves. I have the abs one but havent done it yet.

2FatCats
01-01-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm in! Got it on my iPad and started it Monday!
The videos are super helpful, too.
It's my first time on any NROL program and I have to say...boy am I sore! And I started at Basic level I....But that means I can only get better!

I do it all at home - cable pulleys were an issue but I found resistance bands with d handles for pull downs and such. Mine have a separation between them so that you can pull each arm independently. I just loop up over my squat cage (new/ early bday purchase) and pull away!
I was leery that the lack of cardio would mean I wouldn't lose weight. Ummm, nope. My heart rate monitor says I trained in zone 3 just as if I was doing HIIT on elliptical. Soooo...guess it's gonna work!
I'm w/ fitmom (Love that quote), in it for the body fat% reduction, not scale number.

stlrsgrl43
01-01-2013, 08:21 PM
So glad someone is joining me, I started at basic 1 as well but like I said I went through the new rules of lifting for women and finished that up in october. I fell off the wagon after 2 trips to florida and the holidays but back on track now. I noticed on NRLW that I pretty much came to a stand still on weight loss but I was getting smaller(losing inches) so fat % loss was definitly happening. I am also sore but going back in the morning for B.

2FatCats
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
stlrsgrl:
I was still sore by workout time (1700ish w/ DH when he gets off work) - but I read your post this am and figured - if she can do it - I can, too!
By noon my quads were better then my hammies started screaming. I checked out the boards (for the book) and figured out that I did the step up AND the box jump wrong. Note to self: Do not jump (or land) from tippy toes-use the entire foot. By starting/landing from toes, I was using my quads and not my hammies/glutes. I also noticed that is how I go up and down stairs - on my toes. When I change and use whole foot, my glutes and hammies engage. Who knew?? It's like I'm learning to walk all over again.:D
I stretched extra before and after (that dang foam roller hurts) and went slow and made sure I really really warmed up/stretched out. My pushups were better. Still can't do them on the ground but my front elevated ones ( I do them on the side of squat cage) were cleaner and I didn't have to pause this time - so counting that as a victory! On Friday I will lower the bar - eventually I will make it to the ground!! Hope you made it through okay and are up for Friday's "A"!
We got this!

stlrsgrl43
01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
I find the more i move, the less sore i am. I can 10 normal pushups. My biggest problem is my wrists are weak. I plan to see this all the way through. I dont have a foam roller tho

StephanieM
01-03-2013, 10:01 PM
I'm doing NROL4W right now, I didn't know they had a new one coming out!

What's the program like?

stlrsgrl43
01-04-2013, 08:17 AM
well I just started basic training 1 and so far is stuff like push ups, planks squats but when u get further into it you have workouts A,B,C & D and its a year long program so alot longer than NRLW

2FatCats
01-04-2013, 09:42 AM
@StephanieM
I bought the NROL4L, then found out a few days later that Supercharged was coming out. So I bought it as well and have only done 2 days of Supercharged. Day 3 today!
It starts with Basic Training Phase I-IV. Each has 5 levels within each phase so you can pick the level you are at and advance through levels as needed. Each phase takes 4 weeks if you don't miss any. So - that's 16 weeks of BT. He says if you are still seeing improvement you can repeat BT again with higher level OR you move the Hypertrophy (more phases and levels) and finally to Strength and Power (more phases and levels). So - it's a year long commitment. Which is something I really need - I tend to want stuff right now, rush through weight loss, get to goal weight, then 'celebrate' with food and gain it back.... So this time I'm getting fit - slowly but surely!
One of my favorite quotes: Skinny girls look good in clothes - fit girls look good naked! That's my goal this time!
I think he mentions in the book that if you have already done one of NROL you can start with BT Phase IV, then go straight to hypertrophy. It pretty much allows you to determine your own level of fitness and start from there. There aren't as many choices when you first start - gotta get the basic form/movements down first. Crawl before you walk, I suppose!:D
Very little on nutrition, either, and I appreciate that! I have that part down (said as she drinks her protein shake;))!

Oh - I figured out a way to do it all at home, too!

Hope that helps!

StephanieM
01-05-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info!

I've done the first 3 stages of NROL4W and I started over again after a month off. I'm getting kind of bored of it though and was looking for a new lifting routine.

2FatCats
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
I'm still plugging away - the soreness does go away if I do light cardio for 20 minutes on off days. By light I mean I never get my heartrate above 120. Just getting blood flow through the muscles. And pushups are getting better!

stlrsgrl43
01-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Yea me too, I actually did 15 normal pushups in a row on monday. I will be done with basic training 1 on Wed. Then moving on to basic training 2. I need to start doing cardio on off days as well. I am going to get my treadmill out of storage today. I had to store it to make room for christmas tree. I go to the gym for my workouts but sometimes I would like to just walk on the treadmill and not have to go to the gym to do it.

2FatCats
01-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Yeah, I started doing light cardio on the off days to alleviate the soreness. It works! Weight loss has slowed down but I figure that's okay - so long as I'm maintaining muscle - that's what counts. The flab will eventually be gone!

StephanieM
01-23-2013, 09:18 AM
How is this program going for you guys?

stlrsgrl43
01-23-2013, 09:30 AM
Stephanie, I love it, I just started basic training ll last fri but didn't have val-slides, I got some yesterday so we will see how that goes those push-aways are going to be rough. Are you still doing NRLW?

StephanieM
01-23-2013, 04:06 PM
stlrsgrl43, I ended up buying the book online this morning! The idea of picking and choosing and customizing the program and the different levels seems really intriguing and I couldn't help myself. Plus, I needed a change.

I've been reading it for a few hours now, hoping I can get enough info to do my first workout today! My weight is getting low enough that I need to seriouslly start strength training again or else I'm scared I'll end up skinny fat.

2FatCats
01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Stephanie,

I love it, too! Got my hubby doing it with me so that helps! He hurt himself during the 2nd workout so we restarted the count on the next week. So - I'm behind strlrgrl by a week. Monday starts Basic II. But we have been increasing our levels during level I. I can actually do 5 'real' pushups now. He's doing some fancy T-pushup.... Romanian deadlifts started, too! I feel like a big kid now that we get to use the bar w/ weights!

Stlrsgrl43: For valslides: I used hand towels on my wood floor...the exercise wasn't as difficult as I thought. Way not as bad as the side plank v leg thing! And I still look like a marionette doing carioca during RAMP. I know - I can see myself in the mirror. Sadly, I have no coordination.
BUT - I finally have good squat form - learning while facing a wall helped SO SO much. That first day I liked to have killed my quads and knees doing them wrong.

StephanieM
01-24-2013, 01:07 PM
Way too much reading to do the workout yesterday! I started building my workout today and I'm making a spreadsheet for it. I'm going to do my first workout tomorrow :)

StephanieM
01-24-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh man, so I decided to do a run through of the RAMP warm up today. Just because there are so many different things and I wanted to do a practice of it all so it's more seamless when I actually workout tomorrow.

It took me about 18 minutes and I burned 102 calories. I didn't do the carioca at the end though. Wow! It definitely gets your heart rate up. Or maybe I'm just out of shape from my two weeks off of working out since an allergic reaction I had that covered me in hives. I couldn't work out because the hives would break out again, and then the second week I was tapering off the prednisone and it was making me feel horrible with anxiety attacks.

Either way, I'm out of shape. Tomorrow will be fun!

2FatCats
01-25-2013, 08:23 PM
I still can't do the dang carioca...I actually tripped myself and fell on the second workout:o

I take the time and do the RAMP thoroughly. It's worth it to make sure everything gets stretched and warmed up. It takes me about 16 minutes, burned about 100 the first time, now I burn around 50-60. So getting better at it, I suppose! Before I even start the RAMP I actually get on my spin bike and pedal for 8-10 minutes at heartrate between 115-120 to pre-warm up! But I'm over 40 so I HAVE to! For the actual workout part - 60 minutes once I know the exercises. Then stretching for another 8 or so. Yesterday I changed a bunch of exercises - the workout part took 80 minutes- and I had already watched the videos and thought I knew what I was doing. The Romanian deadlift with row had me puzzled. It just felt awkward. Watched the video 2x more times and finally by the 2nd set, I figured it out.
I like the program, though, no chance of getting bored when the exercises keep changing. And it makes me really feel like I am progressing when I go up to a level in a category!

Tomorrow is another workout! Yea! My new gloves came in the mail today. Love the versa gripps!!

TheLauren
01-25-2013, 10:31 PM
Is this something that someone new to weight lifting can do? Or is it better for more advanced people?

StephanieM
01-26-2013, 10:04 AM
2FatCats, I did the carioca but really, really slowly, haha. Yeah, I'm really liking the program too!

TheLauren, I started out weight lifting with New Rules of Lifting for Women. I find these books are great because they explain so much. If the exercises confuse you, they explain each one in detail and you can also look up videos of the exercises to see how they look being done.

I had my first workout yesterday, it was tiring but great! I really enjoyed it! I have a bit of DOMS today, which I noticed as I got up this morning and went to the bathroom and it hurt to sit on the toilet.

I'm going to run on the treadmill at my in laws today for a bit to help loosen up my muscles.

stlrsgrl43
01-26-2013, 10:48 AM
2fatcats, CONGRATS on the pushups, I found some slides at walmart for 10$. Using them hurts my wrists a little but I'm hoping they will get stronger. The only thing is, doing these workouts tends to make it harder for my weight to drop but if I get smaller and stay bout the same, I will be happy.

Stephanie, I was sore like that at first as well, it sucks but doesn't last long

Lauren, Anyone can do this, it is set up in levels so startiung at the first level would be good for a beginner.

2FatCats
01-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Lauren

I started with this program - haven't lifted a weight in YEARS~ like 12...and even then I didn't know what I was doing!

Strlsgrl: My weight is slowing down- but my measurements are still changing! WOOHOO! Goodbye fat, hello muscle!

Stephanie: I had that problem because I was doing squats wrong. Face the wall, feet almost touching and do it that way. It forces you to use your glutes/hammies and a little quad. Here is a link to youtube or just google squat facing wall. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DecClubtgcM

Used the versa gripps today - Wow! What a difference! I have tendonitis in my right hand fingers (trigger finger and have had cortisone shot) so my grip gives out on weighted step ups, lat pull downs, pretty much anytime that I have to hold on to something! This time it didn't hurt during or after - and I could use a lot more weight! Yea!

StephanieM
01-29-2013, 10:21 PM
I did my B workout yesterday. I almost bailed on it because it was my husband and I's anniversary but then I decided I had to do it.

The warm up still kills me a little, still burnt over 100 calories on that part alone. I wasn't feeling this workout as much, but that was probably because I did it after our anniversary lunch which involved sushi and margaritas, haha.

Second A workout tomorrow, I'm pumped for it! I'm at the point where I can just start to see muscle definition in my arms when I flex and I really want to build some muscle/lose fat so I can look great when I start my new job in two weeks!

2FatCats
01-30-2013, 11:54 AM
StephanieM!
Happy anniversary a little late!
Great job working out even when you didn't really feel like it - and on your anniversary no less!

The RAMP has gotten much easier - I am down to 40 calories for it! Just the dang carioca and high knee runs get my heart pumping! Workout B yesterday: For dynamic stability I tried the swiss ball rollout thingy. WOW - looked super easy in the video. Yeah...the ball doesn't really roll...unless I roll/fall off it. Sigh.
On a better note: I can do the side planks with my upper leg bent at the knee with no problemo! Kinda scared to look up the next level...
Oh - and the overhead reverse lunges...holding weight over my head was really difficult...on the positive - didn't feel it in my legs since I was so worried my elbows were going to crumple and drop the weight plate on my head.:D

StephanieM
01-30-2013, 11:00 PM
2FatCats, th feel like I need to take advantage of the drive and free time while I have it! I start a new job in less than two weeks so my time will be limited very quickly.

I did my second A workout today, and I killed it! I was really tired and weak, but I pushed through on my intervals at the end and blasted some music. The music made me feel like I could have kept going forever!

Lunges are definitely my weak point, but I am getting better!

2FatCats
02-01-2013, 10:15 AM
A new job is exciting (I hope)! I'm a stay-at-homer these days. I call it semi-retirement! ;)

I've taken to doing dang cariocas for a minute as my intervals. I WILL master them!!!
One more B workout and the hubby and I are on to phase II. We did A and B but counted it as a 'learning experience' then started the Phase timer. So - we actually did 7 of A, 7 of B.
I discovered yesterday that doing mtn climber on a stability ball is hard on my wrists. My weakest link is my hands - surgery on both wrists AND the right hand has tendonitis at the base of the fingers. My hands were sore enough to wake me up all night and still hurt this am. I think I'm going to have to figure something else out. Next in that category with same HF goal is swiss-ball jackknife. Gulp.

As I approach a new phase, it's time to reflect on Phase I results:
I wasn't sure how my body would respond to weights and still trying to lose those last lbs. So I have been monitoring my BF as well as scale weight to make sure I am getting enough protein and not cannibalizing my own muscles. So far, in month of Jan, I have gone from 115.5 lean body mass to 117.9! Started at 54 lbs fat, now @ 43. While the scale only showed 8.6, I actually lost 11lbs of fat!! WooHoo!
No matter how many articles, professionals and experts say that weight lifting is great for weight loss - until I actually saw measurable personal results - I was still a skeptic. SO SO glad the infamous 'they' were right!

StephanieM
02-01-2013, 03:01 PM
2FatCats, I haven't worked since November 2011, I took my maternity leave a month before I was due because I was so sure she would come soon in a few weeks. She ended up being 4 days late! I've been home since then. It's been fun, but I'm kind of anxious to go back to work. The year off paid in Canada for maternity leave definitely made it easier to stay home.

I'm sorry your wrists are sore! I can't imagine how that feels. Mine get sore during push ups, but probably nothing like yours.

And that's great about the muscle you have built! It's not easy :)

Today was my 2nd B workout. Wasn't bad! I am burning less during the warm ups, but I did manage to increase weight for some of the exercises. My weight itself has gone up a little the past few days, but that's fine. I feel so strong and I am not too focused on the scale right now. I know I'm eating right, I know I'm getting in good workouts, and I know TOM is coming so there is no reason to stress about that.

stlrsgrl43
02-01-2013, 06:53 PM
2FATCATS, that jackknife is not too bad once u get the hang of it. I bought a ball and practiced at home before trying it at the gym, which is a good thing, takes lots of balance.

StephanieM
02-02-2013, 10:28 AM
Do you guys workout outside of the program? I run intervals sometimes every other weekend when we are at my in laws, since they have a treadmill. This weekend we aren't going over there but I feel super antsy and like I need to do something today. I might just play some Just Dance to burn some energy and maybe a few extra calories. I just don't want to sabatoge my efforts by pushing myself too far.

stlrsgrl43
02-02-2013, 04:12 PM
For a while I was doing some cardio everyday, I feel better when I do but here lately, my energy level is pretty low but I need to start doing cardio everyday again. If you feel like your pushing yourself then try backing off a little but if you feel good about what your doing then I say "DO IT". You body will let you know what it needs.

2FatCats
02-04-2013, 10:24 AM
I completely agree with Strlsgrl! Your body will let you know.
for the first week I did light, light cardio on off days just to get some blood flow through my muscles and help with soreness. Now that I am getting into the swing of things - I just workout on T/Th/Sa. I need the recovery time! The program is working so I figure why mess with it!
Hopefully when it gets more weight intensive, say in hypertrophy & beyond the weather will be warm enough (April ish) and I will start walking my dogs 3+ miles a day. It's a whopping 16 degrees but 'feels like' 1 degree out there right now. Brrr. So that will sorta count as light cardio...lots of hills and we walk fast!
I'm learning to let my body tell me how it feels.

Strlsgrl: have you noticed any weight difference, clothes fit different or body fat changes after you finished phase I?

Keep it up, ladies!

stlrsgrl43
02-04-2013, 12:05 PM
not really, When I did NRLW, I measured every month, I think I need to start doing that again. I have lost 8.5 pounds in january but I am on a 1500 calorie diet too and have been struggling to stick to it. Like I said before, it is very important to measure and weigh because you might be getting smaller and not losing

Floprieto
02-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Can you do this program when you are really overweight? I am 5'6 and weighs 244 :/
What are your suggestions for nutrition?

StephanieM
02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
stlrsgrl43, that's how I've been. I just feel like I need to do something on Saturdays! I have a lot of energy since I've gotten back into the groove of lifting. How did you choose 1500 calories a day? I aim for 1630. The great part about lifting is you can eat more while losing. I aim for 5 ish lbs a month in the hope that I retain muscle mass as I lose the fat.

2FatCats, I'm thinking the one day a week won't hurt, especially if I'm itching to get moving.

I woke up sick yesterday, thought I felt better today, had a killer workout, then started feeling the cold again. I'm going to take advantage of my rest day tomorrow and just relax and do some cleaning.

I'm very proud to say that I increased the weight in a few lifts :)

StephanieM
02-04-2013, 09:44 PM
Can you do this program when you are really overweight? I am 5'6 and weighs 244 :/
What are your suggestions for nutrition?

I think you can! Anyone can lift weights. I use this thread to calculate my calorie and macro needs and right now I eat about 1630 a day and aim for 122 ish grams of protein: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703921

2FatCats
02-05-2013, 11:32 AM
Floprieto:

As long as your doc agrees, of course you can! Look at those folks on Biggest Loser- they are robust and lifting with the best of them!

As for nutrition - I use the bodybuilding.com guides, too. And make sure I don't go below my BMR (about 1450) so that equates to roughly about 1500-1550 calories. I could eat more (I'm tall) but I'm not normally hungry at this level. Sometimes I actually fiind myself eating when I'm not really hungry just to make the 1500 for the day!! All good things come to an end, though---Now I have started getting hungry the day AFTER I lifted. So I have started adding a more calories and cycling my carb/protein by eating a few more healthy carbs on workout days - and trading those carbs for protein on recovery days. I plan them all the day prior and weigh my food, too. Tedious at first but now I can eyeball pretty much anything down to the gram! I quiz my hubby and he always over-estimates. Sigh. If only....
My numero uno rule: I will not feel physically hungry. I just can't do the headaches, weakness, thinking constantlyabout when my next meal is coming and (according to EVERYBODY) the extreme crankiness!;)

Moving Forward
02-05-2013, 03:17 PM
Hi ladies! I thought I would stop in by and check out what's going on here. It's nice to know I'm not alone out there lifting. I wish I was going in tandem with you guys on Supercharged because you have obviously been great support for each other. I'll just use you all as my consultants when I finish NROLW and get into Supercharged. :D I am currently eating about 1300 calories per day and not getting the recommended amount of protein, which for me would be about 105 g per day. I've heard mixed information as to how critical this is. I notice you gals are eating way more than me. Any words of wisdom, scoldings, etc? :dizzy: Also, I will be doing Supercharged at home when I get there. What equipment will I need? I already bought a lot of stuff for NROLW, but am curious if I will own a complete home gym when all is said and done. At any rate, keep up the great work!

stlrsgrl43
02-05-2013, 03:45 PM
Movingforward, WELCOME, I did NRLW. I am going to assume you have the bands already if you are doing this at home. Supercharged calls for valslides as well which I found some slides at walmart for 10$. I don't always get alot of protien either but i do try. How far into NRLW are you?

2FatCats
02-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Moving:
I work out in my finished attic- about 1000 sq ft - entry section of the floor that is hardwood and the rest I covered in interlocking gym mats. For Christmas/my birthday we bought a power rack/ cage and olympic bar with weight plate set. We already had dumbbellls up to 25lb(need more). We don't have any kettlebells - just found I had to sub in an exercise or use weight plate - no biggie. There is a lot of cable machine work, too - I just use bands with d ring handles and position them on the power rack. I didn't buy valslides - I improvised with a washcloth on the wooded entry floor:D. And I didn't need them for long. A stability ball if you don't already have one. Oh and a weight bench that you can adjust with different inclines. I also have a treadmill, 2 spin bikes and an elliptical - well - sorta. I broke it a couple of weeks ago. I took it apart and it needs a new belt - wore out the old one. Not sure if I will replace it, though. Those suckers get expensive and take up a ton of real estate. Now I just do the ever-so-fun cariocas for intervals! Not sure if you have this store but play-it-again-sports has great deals on new and 'gently' used equipment. OH - and good weight lifting gloves! I am a HUGE fan of versa-gripps because I have had 2 wrist surgeries and have trigger finger/tendonitis in my right hand.
As for calories - I can eat a lot. I mean alot. I ate over 1600 yesterday and still lost weight today - down to 159 @ 5'9". I'm actually going to up them to 1700 next week. I'm going to add 100 calories a day for a week or so, then another 100, then 100, etc. Until I get up to (gulp) 2000. My DRI is between 2200-2500 depending upon activity level. I really only have 9 lbs to lose. And, honestly, if I didn't lose another scale pound - if it all just became muscle - that would be dandy.
And don't worry - by the time you finish NRoLW you can jump right into Super and probably skip a phase or two in Basic (Lou's suggestion) depending upon your level. We'll still be here - it's a very thorough program!

StephanieM
02-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Moving Forward, I think with heavy lifting you can get away with eating more. And I think protein is important. I eat fairly low carb so the rest is protein and fat for me. Why not try increasing your calories by about 100 a day for a week, try to make most of it protein, and see how you feel?

As for the equipment, it's about the same as NROL4W.

I finished my 6th workout, halfway through Basic Training I! I'm still sick but I didn't wan to miss a workout. I made it through the warm up and all the lifts but just couldn't push myself to do the intervals so I gave myself a break for good effort. My weight has started dropping again after my initial water gain. I feel like I can see the muscles in my arm more and more, which is awesome considering I'm still about 20 lbs overweight.

nelie
02-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I think upping calories if you are doing a heavy lifting program is ok. Honestly, for the past few years I have eaten between 50-100g/protein per day and have gained a lot of muscle during that time as well. Protein is recommended for many reasons including satiety but as a heavy lifter, you don't necessarily need a ton. I've read the supercharged reasoning and it makes sense but if you aren't hitting your goals every single day, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

My husband and I are doing convict conditioning right now although I've been contemplating mixing in some supercharged as well but probably not the best idea, maybe when I stall out on CC. Due to my weight, I know I can only go so far while my husband I expect can hit all the goals eventually.

2FatCats
02-12-2013, 10:07 PM
Still here, still working happily along in Phase II. It seems to take me longer than Phase I, though. I think it is all the weight plate changing and such. And I am really concentrating on my form to ensure that my spine is neutral during the entire movement. I have a bad habit of looking way down during the deadlifts. My hubby likes to look up. We are finally learning to stand and load properly before we lift and it makes everything SO much easier. Starting from a good position is so much better than trying to find one (impossible) once I've already started a lift. Duh!

Keep up the good work, gals!

stlrsgrl43
02-20-2013, 12:23 PM
I am still here as well, My husband and I went on a valentines weekend getaway so I have gotten out of my groove. I have decided to take this week off and start phase III on Monday. I am extremely tired lately. When I started exercising and lifting, I had sooo much energy but nowadays not so much. I did have low iron in the past so maybe I will get that checked again. Anyone else have low ennergy levels?? Any ideas?

2FatCats
02-20-2013, 05:18 PM
Yay on the weekend trip!
I tend to get low on Vitamin D this time of year...little to no sunshine this far North! That always makes me feel tired and blah. I have an Rx for it so I just take some D and I'm better in about a day.

stlrsgrl43
02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
2fatcats, I will try that, thank u

2FatCats
02-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Hope everybody is well and on plan-
Tonight is our last "A" workout of Phase II! One more "B" on Saturday and then we start Phase III next Tuesday. It seems like the "A" days were a lot harder than the "B" days. Or at least I burn more calories on those days!

stlrsgrl43
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
I started phase 3 this week and there is no way I can do an explosive pushup. My wrists just are not strong enough. Also, The front squat just did not feel right so I am using the squat machine. When I tried the front squat the way she does it in the video, I felt it in my lower back instead of my legs for some reason.

2FatCats
03-01-2013, 02:59 PM
@strlsgrl: My wrists are already weak - surgery on each of them - so there is NO way I'm even going to attempt it. I haven't even looked yet to see what changes - saving that for this Sunday when I'm lazy!

nelie
03-07-2013, 08:17 PM
I've been sick off and on and I stopped Convict conditioning. I decided though I wanted to start supercharged so I did my first workout today. So far, so good :)

2FatCats
03-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Go Nelie! I started at phase one, level one and it was hard. Very hard. I was very out of shape, though. In 2 months I can tell a difference in my strength and appearance. I haven't missed a workout yet and I love the program! Hope you like NRoLS and it works for you, too!

I started Phase III this week - just finished my first "B" workout tonight. In A - the dang lunges with rear foot elevated are quad killers. I tried a front squat tonight - the bar chokes me and feels like my wrists are breaking. Dang tiny wrists...bane of my existence! The overhead stepups are painful, too. Heck, every time I start a new phase with new exercises it's painful!! And probably not pretty to watch. I am not very coordinated so it takes me a few tries to figure out the movement patterns.

nelie
03-08-2013, 05:41 AM
Yeah, the thing that always gets me is step ups because I always want to push off with my trailing leg. I started with a lower step than when I did NROLW and I think it helps. I also modified the side plank because I really can't do a full one and modified pushups for now.

The thing I have to figure out is what happens after these nearly 4 weeks because I understand what my first workouts look like but have to reread the part of the book that tells how to progress.

2FatCats
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
I moved up on planks while still in Phase I - I was holding them for 60+ so it was time. For stabilization see: Core, Part 14 page 613 in book view "Progression:
For the other categories: in the book, How to train, part 3. Page 135 if upright, 253 if 'book view'. Basically the way I understand it, Lou wants us to stick with an exercise throughout a phase. If I'm able to add weight with good form, then I stick with the exercise until I get to the next Phase. I definitely change it up then - except for the dang pushups. It took me the entire Phase I to get to the ground. After Phase II, I'm still on the ground - haven't progressed to level II yet. Someday....

I liked the videos in the book but they aren't enough for me - I end up youtubing every exercise so I can see it from different angles. It's that lack of coordination thing. I need lots of visual input for it to make sense. But this is my first time lifting so almost all the moves are totally foreign.

stlrsgrl43
03-08-2013, 11:31 PM
2fatcats, wtg, I took this week off and just did cardio, I think I might have pulled a muscle in my back

2FatCats
03-09-2013, 10:11 AM
stlrsgril: Ouch. Hubs did hurt his back early on and decided he could still finish the session. He couldn't walk the next 2 days. He should have just rested...but he's a guy....enough said. I just found out I am having surgery surgery in 19 days. I may miss the very last workout in phase III. Not sure if I should just ditch it and move on or repeat an entire week to keep on schedule. Hmmm. We'll see how I feel. Hope your back is better! Hot baths and epsom salt are my go to.

berryblondeboys
03-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Just a quick question...

Does your gym allow you to bring your suspension training kit (TRX or the like) to use? It's suggested for several exercises, but our gyms don't have them for others to use (just in the main gym in class). Just curious how you all work around that.

I'm going to ask my gym about it, but my guess will be a big "NO, you can't use them here. It's a hazard. This is not how our equipment was meant to be used."

But, I don't know yet as I haven't asked (yet).

2FatCats
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
@berryblondeboysI have all that stuff at home - we turned the attic into our gym. Slowly we have acquired almost an entire gym it seems! My Junglegym just came in the mail on Saturday - can't wait to use it tonight!
Bet you're right, though - fear of a lawsuit/insurance claim.

Hope you are having luck with protein thing, too!

nelie
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
My gym actually has TRXs to use but I'm not sure how they'd feel if they didn't and you brought your own. Even though they don't keep the TRX out, they do allow you to check them out, do you think that is a possibility?

We also have our TRX set up in our basement.

2FatCats
04-05-2013, 10:41 AM
Morning All,

Still here - had surgery and the doc made me take 2 weeks off. Grrrrrr.

Only one more week to go and I'll be back at it - Phase IV here I come!

berryblondeboys
04-17-2013, 10:03 PM
Anyone still doing this? My husband and I started last week. We are doing the basic training.

We find with some things we are true noobs and others, you can tell we have been working on fitness for awhile.

The one that scares us both is the power stuff with jumping on a step. Today I tried to jump on a higher platform and I landed on it, but then about fell over as I couldn't catch my balance. I stumbled back and fortunately didn't bonk my head. We then did the rest on a lower platform which is too easy... but I'm TOO SCARED to jump on one higher and I see people in the gym jumping WAY high that it is TOTALLY scary!

Anyone else?

2FatCats
04-18-2013, 10:41 PM
I am still doing it - in BT IV now - I had surgery so took 2 weeks off for recovery.
I don't remember having balance issues jumping. We used cinder blocks cause that's what we have at home. They seem pretty sturdy. But we only ever went 2 high by 2 wide - that's about 18 inches. No way I could just spring straight up - no cat-like grace here! We actually still use them for step-ups and to elevate a foot on split squats. Since we work out at home we make do!

2FatCats
05-15-2013, 12:44 PM
I'm still lifting away - hope everyone is well!

Moving Forward
05-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Hi 2FatCats--I'm still lifting away too. I'm still doing NROLW and just finished phase 4. I'm still loving it! This week is a break between phases, which I'm also enjoying. Keep it up!

2FatCats
05-17-2013, 09:26 AM
@Moving:

I noticed you hit goal weight almost same day as I did! 4/12/13 for me.
WooHoo! But - I am still changing my body for performance, strength and composition - I LOVE lifting weights!!! And eating maintenance calories rocks, too!

Moving Forward
05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
2FatCats--How cool is that?! I'm just putting the finishing touches on now too, although if nothing else changes I am still thrilled. I can't seem to lock down what maintenance calories should be for me because I am still gradually losing. Guess I need to up it a bit more, which I can definitely live with. :)

2FatCats
05-20-2013, 01:51 PM
Ditto on the maintenance calorie quest. I'm eating like a horse it seems - 2000-2200 calories and still the scale creeps down. Did I mention I LOVE weights?

Moving Forward
05-21-2013, 06:37 AM
You're eating 2000-2200 calories and still losing?! That's awesome! I'm only at 1400-1500 and would love to maintain higher. I love weights too. My workout today got interrupted and I feel something is off. How often are you lifting? I'm shooting for 3 days a week.

2FatCats
05-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Moving:
I lift 3x week, MWF. If it's not raining I walk my two big dogs 3-3.5 miles every day, too.
1400-1500? I'd starve! I really don't weigh that much more than you (145). I bet you could eat a lot more and be fine. I'd just keep doing what you're doing and slowly adding calories and see where you level off.
I rarely eat back all my exercise calories and I burn about 800 per lifting session and 400 per dog walk (we walk fast and up hills). My sedentary number is like 1940. So that probably explains my ability to eat like a horse!
As far as what type of calories I changed from the 1500-1600 I ate to lose: Added more carbs, a tiny bit more fat and protein stayed basically the same. So far so good!

Moving Forward
05-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Very interesting.... How are you estimating the calories you are burning in your workouts? I use MFP and generally only get about 200 per hour of lifting I do. My workouts these days are often taking 1.5 hours, but that would bring me nowhere near 800. I would seriously LOVE to eat closer to 2000 calories. I have been taking the slow approach to adding. I also struggle a bit though because I'm scared to eat too much and then gain. Stupid, I know! Most days, surprisingly, I'm not that hungry. I suspect if I upped the calories I would probably put on more muscle. I'm probably holding myself back that way. Hmmm...:dizzy:

2FatCats
06-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Afternoon!

I finished Phase IV and since I was still getting gains so I decided to loop back through each phase for two weeks (per Lou advice). Funny - phase I seemed so , well, easy - only two sets?? But phase II is back up to four sets so I feel like I'm getting my butt kicked again!:D

I think I have stabilized at 142-143 and about 19-20%bf. I still eat ~2200 calories and could eat more on workout days - just not hungry enough to eat another ~600 calories! I can easily maintain doing this so I'm happy. I briefly flirted with the idea of losing another 5lbs - but that would mean sacrificing muscle and that's just too hard to come by! Now I am just waiting to see what hypertrophy and beyond can do for me!

Hope all are well!

Moving Forward
06-10-2013, 11:34 PM
2FatCats--You look amazing! It sounds like you've really found a nice little groove for yourself too. That's great. Keep it up! I think I will probably do this program next.

I'm currently finishing up phase 5 of NROLW. The next phase is apparently a special phase specifically for strengthening. They're going to make me do pull ups. That ought to be interesting. I'm currently facing a dilemma because in order to continue lifting heavier weight I need to buy heavier dumbbells. That's fine, but they are so expensive! I posted about this already. I'm looking for the most reasonably priced adjustables between 70-90 pounds each that I can find. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears.

2FatCats
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Moving: Thanks! I feel amazing!

Yep - dumbbells are crazy expensive, aren't they? Still cheaper than a gym membership- and way more convenient, I suppose!

Funny you mention pull ups - I just order a band on Sunday to 'assist' me. Currently I can do 1/2 chin up.
When I started 5 months ago I was so SO much weaker in my upper body and in my lower body. *sigh* My arms are coming along but not as fast as my back and legs. I'm the squat queen. :D
I know I'll get there, though. And after I master chin ups and pull ups - oh how gorgeous my arms and back will be! I just have to keep lifting.
It's odd (in a good way) - For the first time in my life I'm not in a hurry to get to the finish line. I am actually enjoying the journey! Who knew?

Moving Forward
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Funny you mention that you are enjoying the journey. I've been thinking that myself. I'm in no rush for this program to end. I fully intend to continue lifting. It just means I need to start something else. You are totally right about the cost of dumbells being less than the cost of a gym membership. I just need to spend the money. I can tell I'm committed because it doesn't really even feel like an optional purchase. I can foresee myself in a gym in a few years once my kids are off to college, but for now at home it is.

cosmic wisdom
06-25-2013, 09:54 AM
Hello guys totally love NROL series. I did the NROLFW and now just started NROLFL. Now Im a gym rat. I go every morning first thing and when I don't I get really irritated :(

Keep lifting guys

2FatCats
07-30-2013, 08:28 AM
Just a quick update: Still lifting, still loving it!

Two more workouts in my 'revisit the phases for 2-weeks each' phase (after completing Basic Training)! Then I will finally move on to Hypertrophy phase. It's been 7 months tomorrow since I started the program and I still love it! When I started I couldn't do a single pushup on the ground. It took me 6 weeks to do ONE. Now I can do one unassisted chin-up. WooHoo!
I started in a size 16 and now I'm wearing a size 4, occasionally a 2 so it's definitely working in the 'reshaping my body' area. Did I mention that I LOVE lifting?