Ideal Protein Diet - IP daily chat. Wednesday 12-26-2012

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 08:09 AM
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html)

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 08:10 AM
Good morning friends. I hope you're all doing well and that you have a great day. I just realized today is my Dad's birthday. Happy birthday Dad. I live you. He has been gone almost fourteen years now. It's zero degrees here in Barre, VT this morning.

Cadu
12-26-2012, 08:17 AM
Happy Wednesday Everybody

Today is day 1 for me. I am looking forward to a new healthy me. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Joby: Happy B-day to your Daddy.

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Good morning all from sunny FL
Travel went went well yesterday & planning kept me OP
Need to get the wireless code here b/c right now I'm on my phone. Have a feat OP day!

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 09:08 AM

Today is day 1 for me. I am looking forward to a new healthy me. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Carol it's on! I've been kinda half a$$ the last few months. I've stayed with in 10 pounds of my loss but I've been kinda playing loose with the protocol. I know we can do this. Lets jump start this together. I actually logged on this morning hoping to see you here!

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Good morning. Going into the end of week 3 I have found that I'm starting to loose interest in veggies. The thought of eating more broccoli and zucchini is starting to repulse me. Last night I had rump roast but couldn't even do a salad. I would rather drink all my meals. This week I plan on making a Shepard's Pie with the cauliflower but I'm running out of options. I have never been a big veggie person to begin with so my choices are limited.

Anyone else having problems with this?

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 09:51 AM
Good morning everyone! I hope you all had a great and healthy Xmas!

Well, I made it through the holiday without cheating but OMG there wasn't much for me to eat! Everything was either carbs or fat!! And half of the family is on a diet! LOL I wound up bringing my own broccoli for xmas dinner, which was good because there was literally nothing that was remotely OP except the turkey!! Some of the family were giving me an attitude, like "why would you go on a diet right before the holiday?" but I know that I needed to jump in with both feet otherwise it would be too easy to keep putting it off!

My WI is tonite but I stepped on the scale and it looks like I am down another 4+lbs from last week! That would total around 10lbs in 2 weeks! Fantastic! I am soo glad that I didnt' go off plan! This weekend though is New Year's Eve and we'll be travelling to PA for the weekend.

Question...I know that I will not be 100% OP this weekend. I will drink alcohol and I will prolly eat some things that I shouldn't...Is it worth it to bring my IP food and use it when I can or will cheating just a little set me back enough that the IP foods won't really help?

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Good morning. Going into the end of week 3 I have found that I'm starting to loose interest in veggies. The thought of eating more broccoli and zucchini is starting to repulse me. Last night I had rump roast but couldn't even do a salad. I would rather drink all my meals. This week I plan on making a Shepard's Pie with the cauliflower but I'm running out of options. I have never been a big veggie person to begin with so my choices are limited.

Hi Tex! Have you checked out Liz's thread on purees? There is one for mushroom, celery and garlic purees that tastes like gravy...Seriously you wouldn't even know it's mushroom based. There is also one for a "salsa" puree with red bell peppers that came out fantastic! With a puree, it only takes about a cup to equal 2 cups of veggies so it should make it easier.

Here's a link to the thread:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html

Good luck! :smug:

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 10:01 AM

Well, I made it through the holiday without cheating but OMG there wasn't much for me to eat! Everything was either carbs or fat!! And half of the family is on a diet! LOL I wound up bringing my own broccoli for xmas dinner, which was good because there was literally nothing that was remotely OP except the turkey!! Some of the family were giving me an attitude, like "why would you go on a diet right before the holiday?" but I know that I needed to jump in with both feet otherwise it would be too easy to keep putting it off!

My WI is tonite but I stepped on the scale and it looks like I am down another 4+lbs from last week! That would total around 10lbs in 2 weeks! Fantastic! I am soo glad that I didnt' go off plan! This weekend though is New Year's Eve and we'll be travelling to PA for the weekend.

Question...I know that I will not be 100% OP this weekend. I will drink alcohol and I will prolly eat some things that I shouldn't...Is it worth it to bring my IP food and use it when I can or will cheating just a little set me back enough that the IP foods won't really help?

Hard truth - cheating is going to cost you one way or the other. You are going to be setting yourself back if you decide to cheat, not just physically but MENTALLY. When you make a choice to cheat, you are letting the food/drink stay in charge of your decision making. Why do you "know" you won't be OP? If you have events to get through, we have ALL survived (and completely enjoyed) big events without going off plan - just in my case, I have stayed OP through three family parties, my 20th high school reunion, a summer BBQ (which was two weeks after I started the diet), Thanksgiving and Christmas. No cheats, I planned ahead and made sure I would be successful. I had a fantastic time every time, the food was never an issue and I was able to focus more on being with people and socializing.

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Hi Tex! Have you checked out Liz's thread on purees? There is one for mushroom, celery and garlic purees that tastes like gravy...Seriously you wouldn't even know it's mushroom based. There is also one for a "salsa" puree with red bell peppers that came out fantastic! With a puree, it only takes about a cup to equal 2 cups of veggies so it should make it easier.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone tried juicers? Will this count for the daily intake of veggies?

Starshine
12-26-2012, 10:07 AM

I've had problems like that. I found that I cycle through veggies and what I like. For a few weeks, I'm in love with different greens, then back to roasted veggies, then back to stir fries, then back to salads. I try to have lots of different types of veggies, so I don't get tired on any, although at first I did.

There are zucchini and yellow squash chips and zucchini baked apples too. And turnip and jicama fries also. Those felt really sinful to me at first, and I wanted to eat LOTS of them, but now my body can have just a cup of those and I'm fine.

Liz's purees are great too. And I put spinach in my morning shakes every day (another Liz thing, I believe :), to get in some veggies (along with some lettuce). It fills me up and also gets in some veggies.

I picked IP because of all the veggies. I wanted to force myself to try all these different ones and eat lots of them, as I know that is the key to me keeping my weight off. I've found my taste buds have really changed, and I really like eating veggies now. And preparing them more simply too.

Good luck!

ragdoll74
12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
Carol- good luck on day 1!

Texan- I got sick of having the same veggies over and over also. So I started to try some new ones. You can make turnip fries or try roasting the cauliflower with olive oil and sea salt.

Lately, I have been putting a layer of rutabaga's under my roast in the crock pot. When the roast is done cooking, you can mash the rutagaba into a faux mash potato. It's really good that way.

Liz's gravy puree is crazy good. I had it with my turkey on Thanksgiving.

mrskuby- I haven't cheated, so I'm not sure how long it effects you on weight loss with IP. I would like to warn you that many people have posted on here how they cheated once, and have never been able to get back to 100% OP since. There is a thread about the real costs of cheating on IP in the stickies. You might want to read that before New Years.

I would think if the alcohol is one of the low carb one's, it wouldnt be so much of an issue. It's more about what kind of food you plan on eating. You've done great so far. Be smart about the choices of food if you do cheat, you don't want to ruin the momentum you have now.

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone tried juicers? Will this count for the daily intake of veggies?

Lots of people drink their veggies. Some use a blender and mix it with a shake. I jut got a new blender for Christmas so I'm going to try it too. Spinach is supposed to liquefy well.

MrPhillips

I was but I added some asparagus cooked in water first in a small frying pan until tender and then I added two teaspoons of olive oil and sea salt and pepper and cooked down until no water was left. Very yummy! Give it a try. I never ate asparagus before and now love it!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wWCT0OR/weight.png
(http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wWCT0OR/)

scorbett1103

The problem with juicers is that you don't get the fibrous part of the veggie. That is VERY important on a diet like IP where you aren't getting fiber from any grain sources. You are better off using purees, where you will still have the "pulp" as well as the "juice". The spinach smoothie has been a lifesaver for many folks here, because you make it in a blender you get all the good parts of the spinach but it doesn't have a negative effect on the flavor of the shake.

Clodia Pulchra
12-26-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi all. This is also day one for me. I'm not doing IP with the packets, and I was wondering if anyone else here is doing that?

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi all. This is also day one for me. I'm not doing IP with the packets, and I was wondering if anyone else here is doing that?

Many of us do IP with "alternative" products (same basic idea as IP packets, different brands).

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Check out the stickies at the top of the IP page. Lots of great info there about alternatives. That's what I am using. Proto thin and proto diet from Nashua Nutrition dot com. I also use GNC's ready to drink total lean shakes.

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Hard truth - cheating is going to cost you one way or the other. You are going to be setting yourself back if you decide to cheat, not just physically but MENTALLY. When you make a choice to cheat, you are letting the food/drink stay in charge of your decision making. Why do you "know" you won't be OP? If you have events to get through, we have ALL survived (and completely enjoyed) big events without going off plan - just in my case, I have stayed OP through three family parties, my 20th high school reunion, a summer BBQ (which was two weeks after I started the diet), Thanksgiving and Christmas. No cheats, I planned ahead and made sure I would be successful. I had a fantastic time every time, the food was never an issue and I was able to focus more on being with people and socializing.

Thanks for the input Scorbett! My concern is that we will be staying at other people's houses for 4 days and our plans are basically going to be spur of the moment, make it up as we go. I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go! Which may include 4 wheeling or snowmobiling out in the woods (and the guys will just fill themselves up on beer rather than food, LOL) If we go to restaurants then I know I can make good choices but I'm not sure if I will always have those options. I do realize that I will be setting myself back and ideally, if I could, I would not cheat but it may come down to either cheat or don't eat until I can get the right food. My willpower is great if I know I can eat something, but given the choice of starving for a few hours or eating off plan...:?:

So my question is, if I don't stay 100% OP then is it worthwhile to do 50% OP or would I just be throwing $$ out the window?

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the input Scorbett! My concern is that we will be staying at other people's houses for 4 days and our plans are basically going to be spur of the moment, make it up as we go. I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go! Which may include 4 wheeling or snowmobiling out in the woods (and the guys will just fill themselves up on beer rather than food, LOL) If we go to restaurants then I know I can make good choices but I'm not sure if I will always have those options. I do realize that I will be setting myself back and ideally, if I could, I would not cheat but it may come down to either cheat or don't eat until I can get the right food. My willpower is great if I know I can eat something, but given the choice of starving for a few hours or eating off plan...:?:

So my question is, if I don't stay 100% OP then is it worthwhile to do 50% OP or would I just be throwing $$ out the window?

I totally understand what you're saying - snacking/meals are going to be more challenging when you aren't sure what your schedule is. But here's one thing you mentioned before that doesn't necessarily fit into the explanantion - drinking alcohol is NOT something you would be put out to avoid, yet you said it was something you planned to do. That alone (especially if you're talking about beer and wine, which have high carbs) will cause you to throw money out the window whether you eat every other meal perfectly or not. You won't starve if you don't drink :)

Clodia Pulchra
12-26-2012, 10:52 AM
Thank you both! I appreciate the tips.

MyTime50
12-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Good luck Cadu!! You can do this!:carrot::carrot:

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 10:56 AM
Holidays have not only been survived, they have gotten a righteous butt whupping. Just did my weigh in, I am down 3.4 pounds and 3/4 of an inch!!! HELLOOOO 160's!!!

That means:
-one pound until I get another reward bracelet
-eight pounds to goal
-three pounds from the weight I last maintained for several years before having kids!

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
I totally understand what you're saying - snacking/meals are going to be more challenging when you aren't sure what your schedule is. But here's one thing you mentioned before that doesn't necessarily fit into the explanantion - drinking alcohol is NOT something you would be put out to avoid, yet you said it was something you planned to do. That alone (especially if you're talking about beer and wine, which have high carbs) will cause you to throw money out the window whether you eat every other meal perfectly or not. You won't starve if you don't drink :)

Haha! Touche! You are correct about the alcohol...I don't necessarily need it but I do expect I will indulge on New Year's eve. I am planning on picking up one of the Skinny Girl mixes to keep the carb count as low as possible. I really feel however that the food is going to be my real challenge since I can avoid drinking for 3 of the 4 days but I can't avoid eating! LOL

Hey, I just saw your post! Great job on the weight/inches lost!! :cp:

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 11:06 AM
I just saw this on GNC's web site. I'm going to try one of each.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13085499&clickid=cart

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12351046&clickid=cart

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 11:09 AM
Thanks all for the suggestions and support. I will buy a blender and see what I can come up with. I will also attempt the puree's. Cooking is not something that I do or enjoy :) I had to take the plastic off the inside trays in the oven this weekend (after 4 years in the house). My friends told me to clean the inside so I don't set off the smoke alarms. LOL

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 11:10 AM
Haha! Touche! You are correct about the alcohol...I don't necessarily need it but I do expect I will indulge on New Year's eve. I am planning on picking up one of the Skinny Girl mixes to keep the carb count as low as possible. I really feel however that the food is going to be my real challenge since I can avoid drinking for 3 of the 4 days but I can't avoid eating! LOL

Hey, I just saw your post! Great job on the weight/inches lost!! :cp:

LOL thanks!! I still can't believe this whole journey, it really is amazing how well the plan works!

That said... :) As far as eating on plan, don't forget you have flexibility to swap lunch and dinner if you will be eating out earlier in the day, or if it's easier to pack your protein meal for outings. Loading up on more "portable" foods (your one restricted per day can be bars/snacks to make it easier) and turning packets into portable meals (crispy cereal pancakes travel well, and the omelet can be made ahead of time too). And if you're going to be out, and have a water bottle with you, you can mix up any of the drink packets on the fly. Veggies can be tough, but unless you will be out of civilization completely there has to be a market or convenience store somewhere near where you will be so that you don't always have to tote everything with you. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten off schedule and ended up stopping at a supermarket for a whole cucumber (which is just about 2 cups).

Restaurants can be managed if you tell the server you are gluten-free and dairy free including butter. Meat can be dry-grilled or oil grilled, and they should be able to do some kind of steamed veggie for you. Someone even posted a while back that they ordered a bunless burger and a salad, and made a Big Mac Bowl on the fly!

The point is, it might seem impossible to stay on plan, and ultimately you are the only one who can weigh the pros and cons and make a decision - but it CAN be done :)

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 11:27 AM

Cadu,
Hello!! I'm also back today, day 1 again. Tomorrow I'll update my ticker. I regained about 16 pounds from my lowest IP weight over the past 4 months. I've tried rebooting a few times since September but lacked the discipline. Glad to see you back!

Carol it's on! I've been kinda half a$$ the last few months. I've stayed with in 10 pounds of my loss but I've been kinda playing loose with the protocol. I know we can do this. Lets jump start this together. I actually logged on this morning hoping to see you here!

Vet,
Glad to see you too! I was wondering this morning how you were doing as I was surfing around the boards here. Impressive that you only gained back 10 pounds or so.

Like others said, the veggie purees keep things interesting. Re juicing, there are essentially 2 types. An extractor/centrifugal juicer takes out fiber, masticating juicers don't (such as a Vitamix). I have both and would use the Vitamix to keep all the fiber. My model is quite old (13-14 years), works like a charm, but noisy. However, the quality of the motor won me over years ago. Newer models out that are better in many ways. Might be a worthwhile investment.

Why don't you just use bars when you need an instant meal and there are no other choices available? Granted, in tough situations for a day or two, you might end up having 2 bars in one day, technically off program, but I think this would be the best solution if you're really stuck and truly want to stay as close as possible to on program. Very good idea to totally stay away from alcohol.

WebRover
12-26-2012, 11:35 AM
I don't really know where we'll be at any given time so I'd have the have a large cooler full of veggies that I bring everywhere we go!

You could keep whatever veggies you're travelling with in the large cooler and carry a small lunchbox sized cooler with you: in the car, on the snowmobile, etc. In a "daily" lunchbox cooler you could have prepared portioned out 4 cups of veggies ready to eat, RTD shakes, protein bar, shaker with water already in it with your IP packet or ziplock bag or pre-measured protein shake. Water bottles of course!

MrPhillips
12-26-2012, 11:37 AM
Holidays have not only been survived, they have gotten a righteous butt whupping. Just did my weigh in, I am down 3.4 pounds and 3/4 of an inch!!! HELLOOOO 160's!!!

That means:
-eight pounds to goal
-three pounds from the weight I last maintained for several years before having kids!

Great job! Keep up the good work!

ragdoll74
12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
I just saw this on GNC's web site. I'm going to try one of each.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13085499&clickid=cart

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12351046&clickid=cart

I want that shaker bottle!!!!!

jlnelson
12-26-2012, 11:56 AM

What a great idea! And I love those colors.

pocahontas812
12-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions and support. I will buy a blender and see what I can come up with. I will also attempt the puree's. Cooking is not something that I do or enjoy :) I had to take the plastic off the inside trays in the oven this weekend (after 4 years in the house). My friends told me to clean the inside so I don't set off the smoke alarms. LOL

Hey Tex--I remember from a previous post that you eat out most meals (lunch and dinner) as you don't like to cook. I can see where you could get bored with veggie options at restaurants, as they are often broccoli and or squashes. A juicer sounds like a good option for now, but you may get bored with that in a couple weeks. There are definitely some easy and quick veggie recipes you could do at home that would add more variety...and you may even start to enjoy cooking for yourself which in the long-term is probably healthier than consistently eating meals out. Some suggestions:

Pan-roasted asparagus: heat some EVOO in a skillet over high heat, add asparagus and some S&P and toss to coat. Cover and cook 2 minutes, then uncover and cook another 2-3 minutes until spotty brown.

Saute some chopped bell peppers and/or spinach in a little EVOO and add to an omelet.

Kale chips: toss clean/dry kale leaves (no stems/ribs) with a little EVOO and kosher salt; spread on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes til crispy. A lot of grocery stores sell bags of clean and chopped kale which is super convenient.

Spicy roasted broccoli: Toss broccoli florets with a little sesame oil, pinch of stevia/truvia, garlic, and ground chili paste (1-2 tsp) and roast at 450 degrees for 10 minutes (stir after 5 minutes).

Nitney72
12-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I've never been a huge fan of new years resolutions- in fact I've never done one. However this year I think I need to step things up in life. I've done well on my physical self (down 26 pounds in just over 2months) so I think I need to get myself if better fiscal shape. I am puttng myself on shopping and spending probation- only stuff we NEED.

Any tips from you super thrifty people out there??

LoriKay
12-26-2012, 12:08 PM
A1Tex - Good morning, well, almost noon, but I'm on vacation!! I was so sick of veggies & not a veggie person either, but then I learned how to make more of them. If you go to the recipe stickies and try a new veggie a few times a week, you will figure out what you like and new ways to make it. Roasted cauliflower is my favorite, I have it once or twice a week. I change it up with Mrs. Dash spices, garlic, and other veggies like celery and broccoli. I had never made cauliflower before!!

Mrskuby - I would say that either way you are throwing money out the window because you will be out of kitosis. I think the best way to maintain and not slide back up the scale is to do everything you can to stay on plan as often as possible. You have already decided to cheat so this is the best advice I can give you. This diet can be a pain at times, but totally worth it once you are done!! I love phase 4!

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I've never been a huge fan of new years resolutions- in fact I've never done one. However this year I think I need to step things up in life. I've done well on my physical self (down 26 pounds in just over 2months) so I think I need to get myself if better fiscal shape. I am puttng myself on shopping and spending probation- only stuff we NEED.

Any tips from you super thrifty people out there??

I would highly recommend checking out Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University - there are usually local seminars and they are completely worth it. Changes your whole perspective on budgeting, spending and debt.

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Hey Tex--I remember from a previous post that you eat out most meals (lunch and dinner) as you don't like to cook. I can see where you could get bored with veggie options at restaurants, as they are often broccoli and or squashes. A juicer sounds like a good option for now, but you may get bored with that in a couple weeks. There are definitely some easy and quick veggie recipes you could do at home that would add more variety...and you may even start to enjoy cooking for yourself which in the long-term is probably healthier than consistently eating meals out. Some suggestions:

Pan-roasted asparagus: heat some EVOO in a skillet over high heat, add asparagus and some S&P and toss to coat. Cover and cook 2 minutes, then uncover and cook another 2-3 minutes until spotty brown.

Saute some chopped bell peppers and/or spinach in a little EVOO and add to an omelet.

Kale chips: toss clean/dry kale leaves (no stems/ribs) with a little EVOO and kosher salt; spread on a baking sheet and bake at 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes til crispy. A lot of grocery stores sell bags of clean and chopped kale which is super convenient.

Spicy roasted broccoli: Toss broccoli florets with a little sesame oil, pinch of stevia/truvia, garlic, and ground chili paste (1-2 tsp) and roast at 450 degrees for 10 minutes (stir after 5 minutes).
Awesome. A friend told me about the Kale chips. They sound easy enough. So far the restaurants have been great at making things work for me. I don't mind a salad and a meat/fish protein for lunch/dinner. I'll try the blender on a few things and see how that goes to get in the other few cups of veggies.

4Mom
12-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Ok I'm a little nervous, I have been on IP for 8 weeks and have not once been OP, but yesterday was so busy with family and making dinner I did not get all my veggie's or any salad in. I don't want to slow my weight loss in any way, but by the time I thought about it I was exhausted and just went to bed.

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Thank you all for your input. After reading everything and putting things into perspective, I will buy a bunch of the bars, drinks and snacks rather than the soups and puddings I have been getting. I suppose even if I don't get the veggies exactly when I am sposed to, I can at least not eat anything off plan. Might mean I eat less for a day or 2 but better than screwing myself up altogether!

You guys are great! I'll prolly be checking in for support over the weekend! LOL
Off to make my new "grocery" list! :P

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you all for your input. After reading everything and putting things into perspective, I will buy a bunch of the bars, drinks and snacks rather than the soups and puddings I have been getting. I suppose even if I don't get the veggies exactly when I am sposed to, I can at least not eat anything off plan. Might mean I eat less for a day or 2 but better than screwing myself up altogether!

You guys are great! I'll prolly be checking in for support over the weekend! LOL
Way to stay strong with this. Remember this is a commitment and life style change. I keep thinking of all the failed attempts I've made over the years at dieting. Don't give up on yourself and we won't either...good luck!

I hate to cook but looks like I may have to learn :)

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 12:38 PM

You CAN do it :) And we are here when you need us!!! Can't wait to celebrate your successes!!

LoriKay
12-26-2012, 01:02 PM
mrskuby Proud of you!!!

A1Tex I hope you have better luck with Kale than I did. Don't use too much salt!

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
Way to stay strong with this. Remember this is a commitment and life style change. I keep thinking of all the failed attempts I've made over the years at dieting. Don't give up on yourself and we won't either...good luck!

Thanks Tex! I'll bet that once you've cooked a few things and had success, you'll start liking cooking better. I sugest getting as much cooking done in one afternoon as you can, then freezing everything in portions. Then all you gotta do is defrost/microwave and dinner is ready!:D

1LittleStar
12-26-2012, 01:22 PM
I eat at least half of my daily veggies raw - cucumber, celery, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, pickles. Seems to work well for me, since I like the crunch. No prep required! Then have some cooked, steamed, etc. ones with my other meal.

Halfagain
12-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Awww man, you had to mention Kale chips... now I want some! I haven't made them in a couple weeks. I offered some kale chips to a co-worker who's doing IP a few weeks ago. He was not impressed - I told him it could be an aquired taste, though it only took me a couple tries of 'testing' to realize I loved them.

maezy1
12-26-2012, 01:29 PM
TX - we found this recipe for spinach at a very high end restaurant and of course altered it to my IP specifications. Measure out the spinach, I use 2 cups, get a wok pan hot ( I use a non sticky one) or if you don't have a wok pan which I suspect you don't, you can use a regular fry pan with either marg spray or olive oil, put in some garlic, real or powdered, and some red pepper if you like your food hot, or a tiny bit of soy sauce & ginger if you want a more Asian flavor. throw the spinach in to the hot pot and stir constantly until the spinach cooks thoroughly. It wont look lik emuch but it taste unbelievable!

maezy1
12-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Halfagain - every time you post and I look at that pic I am so inspired that one day I will be able to take those pics and look that great!

Ok all, question for you - Im a week out of surgery and the doctor is telling me that i have to get more fiber into my diet. I ended up almost having a procedure called deimpacting. When you look it up the first thing that comes up is deimpacting cow and horses, made me feel so thin...haha
anyway- I have to take metamucil every day and I remember somewhere along the way being told by an IP "person" that I could not have metamucil. any advice? oh the facts on metamucil
calorie 15
fat 0
carbs 4
sugars 0
On top of that I have to take lots of different pills and he also wants me to eat more fiber right food,like cheerios and less protein rich foods that tend to bind.

usmcvet
12-26-2012, 01:43 PM
I don't like cooking much either. That's why I love IP. It's easy and fast.

What a great idea! And I love those colors.

I'm going to try it out. Handy and effective.

ragdoll74
12-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Halfagain - every time you post and I look at that pic I am so inspired that one day I will be able to take those pics and look that great!

Ok all, question for you - Im a week out of surgery and the doctor is telling me that i have to get more fiber into my diet. I ended up almost having a procedure called deimpacting. When you look it up the first thing that comes up is deimpacting cow and horses, made me feel so thin...haha
anyway- I have to take metamucil every day and I remember somewhere along the way being told by an IP "person" that I could not have metamucil. any advice? oh the facts on metamucil
calorie 15
fat 0
carbs 4
sugars 0
On top of that I have to take lots of different pills and he also wants me to eat more fiber right food,like cheerios and less protein rich foods that tend to bind.

I think you need to just do what the doc says until he clears you to go back on IP. Stick with whole grains and stay away from sugar. When he gives you the all clear to start again, just try to reduce carbs for a couple days before starting phase 1.

Glad to see you are feeling well enough to check in. :)

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 01:52 PM
Hi all! I got the wireless access code! No more phone posts! Typing to you poolside in sunny FL

First: Scorbett, dear, congrats! You and I started right about the same time - less than a week apart I think. You are SO CLOSE! I can't wait to watch for your words of wisdom in maintenance. I love to learn from those who trudge ahead. The "easy" part is almost over!

mrskuby
I'm so glad you had a change of heart. The only thing I'd like to add from others who have already convinced you is about the alcohol. Ketogenic diets can be hard on the kidneys and liver (one of the reasons we drink so much water!). Alcohol would only add to that stress on the organs. This will be my first NYE in my adult life w/o alcohol. Pregnant women do it all the time. The alcohol will be there when you finish plan. Get some seltzer water and jazz it up with a great Mio flavor. Put it in the prettiest cocktail glass you can find. You and I will both live without a drink and we'll ring in the New Year ON PLAN with our IP sisters and brothers!!!

A1Texan
Lotsa great veggie love advice already! I get tired of 'em plain, too. I'd just like to add: Cauliflower Pancakes (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/267145-cauliflower-pancakes.html), pudding zucchini pancakes (or muffins) and veggie purees without roasting.

My easy puree: I just throw celery, bok choy, leeks and mushrooms in a pan with some chicken broth & seasonings. Bring to a boil & simmer til veggies are cooked. Puree. Use with IP creamy soups. (I don't like the soups alone but its a go-to lunch with the puree AND gets veggies in. I even started freezing the puree in ice cube trays so it keeps until I want it & then its super easy to thaw.

Pudding pancakes (or muffins): Shred 1 c zucchini. Saute or cook 3 min in microwave (optional)
Beat 2 egg whites til frothy, add 1/2 tsp baking powder, desired spices (cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice work well), add zucchini and pudding pack ( I like banana, blueberry or maple oatmeal). Cook as pancake or put in sprayed nonstick muffin pans. In my oven, 350, 15 min

I'm another spinach breakfast smoothie person. Dark Chocolate pudding, 1-2 c raw spinach, 8 oz cold coffee, and coffee ice cubes. Viola! Breakfast!

greeniris
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM

I LOVE the purees, had them almost every day in my IP) soup at lunch with a side salad in P1. They can also be used as a 'sauce' when making cassaroles (ex. chicken & broccoli). I made a big batch at once, measured out into little baggies, and froze so always have some ready.

That means:
-eight pounds to goal
CONGRATULATIONS lady! You'll be joining us in maintenance soon!

Looks like you've gotten some good advice. I would def keep a bar or 2 with me at all times, and RTD drinks too.

Awww man, you had to mention Kale chips... now I want some! I haven't made them in a couple weeks. I offered some kale chips to a co-worker who's doing IP a few weeks ago. He was not impressed - I told him it could be an aquired taste, though it only took me a couple tries of 'testing' to realize I loved them.
I can't do the kale chips either, but most others seem to like them.

calorie 15
fat 0
carbs 4
sugars 0
Sorry I can't advise re: metamucil. I've found that Phillips stool softeners work best for me, and LOTS of water - even double what is suggested. Asparagus is a good veggie to eat for fiber. That procedure sounds like something to be avoided! Good luck Maezy!

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 01:58 PM

I love em too! Hubby, not-so-much but he can have popcorn & I need a replacement (and a distraction b/c kale chips are a bit of work)

dawn again
12-26-2012, 02:25 PM

That means:
-eight pounds to goal

Way to go SCorbett!! That is awesome! Doing happy dance! Yay 160's :carrot:

SDChickie
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM
Just had to stop in to share that today's WI officially dropped me from obese to overweight. Who knew I'd ever be so ecstatic to be overweight?! :D

Wild wire
12-26-2012, 02:31 PM

An actifry was the best thing I have ever bought! We ate out 4-5 nights a week but now use the actifry for our protein & veggies practically every day. I get my olive oil in by using it in the actifry. Minced garlic, tablespoon of soy sauce or another flavour like hot sauce to the veggies are great. We use red, orange & yellow peppers, mushrooms, bok choy for crunch, jicama. I have only had broccoli once since Halloween!

Bellamack
12-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to you all!

I haven't started my IP reboot yet, waiting until the first, my daughter goes back to Cali the 29th. She is so excited that we are supposed to get a foot more of snow ( I am way less excited, since I still have a cast on my leg)

Getting ready to do IP again and reading all your posts to get psyched!

My favorite puree is to roast cauliflower, several kinds of hot peppers, garlic and mushrooms, it is like a thick soup and warms you up with the hot peppers.

Everyone stay safe esp. those that are getting this winter storm. Happy New Year :)

1LittleStar
12-26-2012, 02:53 PM
Just had to stop in to share that today's WI officially dropped me from obese to overweight. Who knew I'd ever be so ecstatic to be overweight?! :D

Congrats to you!! I can't wait to be overweight myself. I'm the same height, so it's good to know when that will happen.

I'm only at the beginning of my journey, but appreciate the words of wisdom and experience that everyone is providing.

LoriKay
12-26-2012, 03:06 PM
SDChickie Congrats!! You are doing great!

Starshine
12-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Oh, that is fantastic! I remember when I got there, it was such a great feeling! Congrats, SDChickie! :)

cbl70
12-26-2012, 03:44 PM
SDChickie and Scorbett,
Congrats on your milestones! You both have so much to be proud of.

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 04:02 PM
TX - we found this recipe for spinach at a very high end restaurant and of course altered it to my IP specifications. Measure out the spinach, I use 2 cups, get a wok pan hot ( I use a non sticky one) or if you don't have a wok pan which I suspect you don't, you can use a regular fry pan with either marg spray or olive oil, put in some garlic, real or powdered, and some red pepper if you like your food hot, or a tiny bit of soy sauce & ginger if you want a more Asian flavor. throw the spinach in to the hot pot and stir constantly until the spinach cooks thoroughly. It wont look lik emuch but it taste unbelievable!
Thanks, I'll try that. I plan on going to buy some Kale today and try the chips as well. Great suggestions everyone....

NinjaNurse
12-26-2012, 04:12 PM

I am starting to feel this way now and Iove veggies! I am also finding it harder to eat any if the nonrestricts besides the drinks.
I would love some suggestions.

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 04:13 PM
An actifry was the best thing I have ever bought! We ate out 4-5 nights a week but now use the actifry for our protein & veggies practically every day. I get my olive oil in by using it in the actifry. Minced garlic, tablespoon of soy sauce or another flavour like hot sauce to the veggies are great. We use red, orange & yellow peppers, mushrooms, bok choy for crunch, jicama. I have only had broccoli once since Halloween!
WOW..I just watched the video for the Actifry. It looks AWESOME. I plan on buying one of those today to. And it comes apart and goes in the dishwasher. Cooking made simple is for me...LOL Thanks for the suggestion.

goldilocksinct
12-26-2012, 04:13 PM
Just jumping in here to your daily chat..I have my first appointment on Friday morning and am so anxious to start! I am glad to have found this little subgroup to check in with you folks about this new way of eating for me. I was most recently on WW but have wandered off after some surgery and 40 pounds back later, here I am. :o We have no plans for NYE so I figured it would be great to get the first few days under my belt before I go back to work on 1/2.

One of the hairstylists where I get my hair done has been on this weight loss plan and looks amazing, which spurred me on to do a little research and jump in. I really need something to make me feel better about myself again!

this girl is awake
12-26-2012, 04:18 PM
Hi all, I have been MIA for a while--not following plan to a T and felt ashamed and as though I would not continue to be welcomed. I had a big cheat day yesterday (Christmas) and I'm back doing plan and will not do any restricteds at all for a few days.

I was doing great with no cravings at all but then the inundation of holiday foods really got to me. I was feeling really bitter and was actually in tears in the office one day about it.

Anyway... just wanted to check in. Until the day before yesterday I had been at 323 for several weeks and then this morning I was at 328. Hope to lose that 5 pounds quickly and be back on track.

ragdoll74
12-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Just jumping in here to your daily chat..I have my first appointment on Friday morning and am so anxious to start! I am glad to have found this little subgroup to check in with you folks about this new way of eating for me. I was most recently on WW but have wandered off after some surgery and 40 pounds back later, here I am. :o We have no plans for NYE so I figured it would be great to get the first few days under my belt before I go back to work on 1/2.

One of the hairstylists where I get my hair done has been on this weight loss plan and looks amazing, which spurred me on to do a little research and jump in. I really need something to make me feel better about myself again!

Welcome! That is a great plan. It's really nice to start IP on a weekend, so you don't have to deal with the carb withdrawal at work.

Hi all, I have been MIA for a while--not following plan to a T and felt ashamed and as though I would not continue to be welcomed. I had a big cheat day yesterday (Christmas) and I'm back doing plan and will not do any restricteds at all for a few days.

I was doing great with no cravings at all but then the inundation of holiday foods really got to me. I was feeling really bitter and was actually in tears in the office one day about it.

Anyway... just wanted to check in. Until the day before yesterday I had been at 323 for several weeks and then this morning I was at 328. Hope to lose that 5 pounds quickly and be back on track.

You can do this! You don't have to give up the restricteds. Just make sure you are measuring everything, getting your water, salt & oil, and staying aware from off plan foods.

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
:carrot:
And I was celebrating being "just" obese now instead of extremely or morbidly or class 2 or 3 or any of those other horrible names.
Congrats on being overweight. I'll join u soon.

Oh dear, don't make it harder than it has to be. Have the restricteds & just follow the program. Don't penalize yourself & make it harder.

Sonyasbug
12-26-2012, 04:51 PM

Yay! Im anxiously awaiting this day, getting there soon. Crazy thought though, how we are excited to be overweight. Congrats on the milestone.

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 04:54 PM

Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

I agree with others, don't make it any harder on yourself, just do the plan and start watching the weight fall off. It will drop quickly and you'll feel great soon.

SDChickie
12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks for all of the kind words, guys! And I loved reading about some different ideas for veggies, too. Yay! :D

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 04:56 PM
There is one IP branded food packet that I really like and I need to buy a few boxes of it. I use alternatives and don't have a coach.

Where is a reliable online source for IP foods?

Thanks,
Chloe

FutureFitChick
12-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Just got back from an extended (compared to typical visits) to my mom's. Yesterday dinner was way off what I planned. But, I enjoyed myself with out eating too much (in terms of quantity). For the rest of the visit duration, I did great and stuck with my IP plan. I found great IP dishes with very little need to modify the meals two nights in a row at restaurants, so that was a wonderful bonus!

A1Texan, hang in there to get out of the veggie rut. Can you try to experiment with some new ones? I was really in to rutabaga for a few weeks making them in to a spicy baked "fries" side dish.

Cadu, welcome and good luck. Get through those first few days and it is not too bad. Hang in there and post often until you get to a steady IP routine.

Clodia Polchra, welcome to IP!

lisa32989, glad travel went well for you! Great to hear.

mrskuby, great job sticking on plan. Traditional meals can be hard to eat at. I've just been bringing a salad to share that is actually full of the foods I can eat.

SDChickie, congratulations and I hope to join you in a few weeks.

usmcvet, I will also be in the boat with the two of you getting back to being struck on the protocol. I've been having an extra packet on days when I've been super hungry.

tam67green
12-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Hey there! You pretty much wrote my post for me...I'm right there with you! I cheated on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. The best thing was eating what everyone else did and not having to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN all the time! But I'm back on the wagon today. I am actually a little relieved to be back to restricting myself--a little freedom goes to my head! :o

On the positive side, everyone had wonderful things to say about my weight loss on Christmas Eve. My husband's cousin said, "You're so tiny!", making her my favorite person in the world! :) I went to my annual well woman visit on Christmas Eve and my doctor did a double take at the weight noted in my chart. She said, "This is your weight today?" We looked at my chart, and I have lost a little over 70 lbs since my well woman visit last year. So I'm feeling pretty good about my weight and am not going to let a couple of bad days derail me!

ShanCo
12-26-2012, 05:12 PM

I was literally just getting on here to post pretty much the same thing! I can barely swallow my veggies anymore...kind of to the point where I would rather not eat at all then take another bits or broccoli or zucchini! Hoping to see that others have offered some advice as I read through other answers...I just feel like a need more "real food" for lunch or something. I'm pushing through but Its tough right now. My husband says probably because of all the holiday food I have had to see the past couple days (haven't touched any though!)

LoriKay
12-26-2012, 05:26 PM
this girl is awake Welcome back! You will always be accepted here, many of us have gone off plan at one time or another. We reject no one!! (Just give a little tough love now and then!) I'm so glad you only went up 5 lbs. That's a reasonable number to lose quickly.

My husband says probably because of all the holiday food I have had to see the past couple days (haven't touched any though!)

Smart man. It's so hard to diet over the holidays, but totally worth it!

psjones
12-26-2012, 05:27 PM
There is one IP branded food packet that I really like and I need to buy a few boxes of it. I use alternatives and don't have a coach.

Thanks,
Chloe

http://www.plainprotein.com/index.php?p=home (http://www.plainprotein.com/index.php?p=homehttp://)

jmuroff1
12-26-2012, 05:38 PM
after being bad during the holidays i am back OP today :) I know im out of ketosis so the next few days will be interesting lol

this girl is awake
12-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the support, all y'all :)

NinjaNurse
12-26-2012, 05:45 PM
Carol- good luck on day 1!

Texan- I got sick of having the same veggies over and over also. So I started to try some new ones. You can make turnip fries or try roasting the cauliflower with olive oil and sea salt.

Lately, I have been putting a layer of rutabaga's under my roast in the crock pot. When the roast is done cooking, you can mash the rutagaba into a faux mash potato. It's really good that way.

Liz's gravy puree is crazy good. I had it with my turkey on Thanksgiving.

mrskuby- I haven't cheated, so I'm not sure how long it effects you on weight loss with IP. I would like to warn you that many people have posted on here how they cheated once, and have never been able to get back to 100% OP since. There is a thread about the real costs of cheating on IP in the stickies. You might want to read that before New Years.

I would think if the alcohol is one of the low carb one's, it wouldnt be so much of an issue. It's more about what kind of food you plan on eating. You've done great so far. Be smart about the choices of food if you do cheat, you don't want to ruin the momentum you have now.

I would think the amt of food we're not eating would make you get tipsy and or sick pretty fast.

Nolawhodatchick
12-26-2012, 06:21 PM
SDChickie and Scorbett-

Congrats on your big milestones!

this girl is awake-

Welcome back. Beating yourself up won't help, so just put it behind you and move forward. As for no restricteds, I'd heed the advise others have already given you. I personally find if I do NO restricteds for several days or a week, I lose less.

Texan-

I put my 2 cups of spinach in a blender with a premade shake a lot. It's an easy way to get your veggies in. But also what has helped me is to use veggies that I didn't eat very often before. Jicama, rutabaga, and now I'm a huge fan of cabbage, too. It's a little more work to try cooking new things in new ways, but it keeps me eating the veggies and enjoying them.

I made it through the holidays with no major problems, though I did not eat 4 cups of veggies one day. I'm having TOM issues right now that are driving me nuts (guys, you can skip the rest of this post, lol!). Issues as in NO TOM but stuck in a PMS state for WAYYY longer than normal. It's so bad it's making me feel like want to stop IP just to make it go away...don't worry I won't really stop IP, that's just my "feelings"!) I'm bloated, cranky, etc... Any advice, anyone?

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 06:35 PM

Okay Wild :hug: I just bought my ActiFry and was reading through the cook book. I can do this. Thanks for the awesome suggestion. This diet keeps getting more and more expensive :lol:

But at least I have a fighting chance now... Doing my Happy Danc e:carrot:

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 06:41 PM

calorie 15
fat 0
carbs 4
sugars 0

Most pharmacies carry a sugar-free, diabetic friendly version of Metamucil, we have that at my house for my husband who is a Type 1. If you can't find that, get psyllium husks from the local GNC or health store - they basically do the same thing. And esp with psyllium husks, they are nothing but undigestible fiber so they add nothing to your diet and do not have to be counted as a "food".

You may also want to try Smooth Move or another senna tea - I have one cup every morning to keep things working :)

WOOO HOOOO!!! That is a HUGE milestone!! Way to go!

Thanks,
Chloe

www.plainprotein.com - I use alternative foods but IP vitamins/supplements and that is where I order them from. Very reliable and fast (free) shipping!

Okay Wild :hug: I just bought my ActiFry and was reading through the cook book. I can do this. Thanks for the awesome suggestion. This diet keeps getting more and more expensive :lol:

LOL my husband and I were just talking about the "hidden costs" of IP - the appliances/kitchen tools, and the CLOTHES :)

Speaking of, I had time to hit Old Navy's big after-Christmas sale (75% off a lot of great stuff!). Dangerous thing. I bought 4 sweaters, a pair of SKINNY jeans, two shirts for my boys and a new sweater for hubby, for $65. Woo hoo!

Here's a pic of me in the dressing room, can you see how excited I am about the skinny jeans???

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 06:43 PM

I felt the same, I've bought all the recommended equipment! Anything to keep it interesting. The Actifry, the tiny ice cream maker, the dehydrator...all the Walden Farms products, special low carb brownie mix...
It's all helpful and the IP'ers here are amazing with recipes.

Thanks to all for your help today!

Special thanks to Molly!

Nolawhodatchick
12-26-2012, 06:47 PM
I felt the sane, I've bought all the recommended equipment! Anything to keep it interesting. The Actifry, the tiny ice cream maker, the dehydrator...all the Walden Farms products, special low carb brownie mix...
It's all helpful and the IP'ers here are amazing at recipes.

Thanks to all for your help today!

Special thanks to Molly!

Fiddlesticks, ya'll! I just bought a dehydrator...now you must explain what the heck is is an Actifry and why must I get one? lol But seriously, if that many of you bought one for IP, then I really do need to know more about it.

SDChickie
12-26-2012, 06:53 PM

DANG, dude! You don't waste any time! :lol:

Maybe I need to check one of those out...

1LittleStar
12-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Speaking of, I had time to hit Old Navy's big after-Christmas sale (75% off a lot of great stuff!). Dangerous thing. I bought 4 sweaters, a pair of SKINNY jeans, two shirts for my boys and a new sweater for hubby, for $65. Woo hoo!

Here's a pic of me in the dressing room, can you see how excited I am about the skinny jeans???

Wow, those jeans look amazing on you!!! And great deal on new clothes!

kileymed13
12-26-2012, 07:05 PM

That means:
-eight pounds to goal

Congrats!!!!! You are such an inspiration.

A1Texan
12-26-2012, 07:05 PM
DANG, dude! You don't waste any time! :lol:

Maybe I need to check one of those out...
LOL...Go to Bed Bath & Beyond online and they have a video you can watch and learn more about it. It's not cheap $249.99 but use your 20% and it drops quite a bit. Since I don't like to stand over a stove or oven and cook, this was an easy choice for me...like a crock pot and veggie steamer. I like to put everything in and set a timer. When it buzzes at me, I know it's done. :)

maezy1
12-26-2012, 07:13 PM
thx all for the input! im going with the metamucil til things are back to normal for me. 7 days without moving made it very scary for my doctor. I ahve the sugar free stuff which I was using before IP so I'll continue with that and am goign to add smooth move tea to my daily habits as well.

BIG NEWS - I made it through a whole day today without a prescription
painkiller! Only used tylenol twice today. i will using something prescription for sleep however. just such a great feeling to have a clear head for the first day in over a week. Everyone, raise your IP shaker with me in a toast!!!!

SDChickie
12-26-2012, 07:28 PM
LOL...Go to Bed Bath & Beyond online and they have a video you can watch and learn more about it. It's not cheap $249.99 but use your 20% and it drops quite a bit. Since I don't like to stand over a stove or oven and cook, this was an easy choice for me...like a crock pot and veggie steamer. I like to put everything in and set a timer. When it buzzes at me, I know it's done. :)

Hmmm... I have a birthday coming up in February... Santa Chickie brought me lovely loot for Christmas, including skinny jeans, Victoria's Secret lotions, and jewelry... so maybe the Birthday Fairy will bring me an Actifry! ;)

this girl is awake
12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Holy wow, Scorbett, you look so young and foxy!!!

Nitney72
12-26-2012, 07:55 PM
Hey there! You pretty much wrote my post for me...I'm right there with you! I cheated on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. The best thing was eating what everyone else did and not having to PLAN, PLAN, PLAN all the time! But I'm back on the wagon today. I am actually a little relieved to be back to restricting myself--a little freedom goes to my head! :o

On the positive side, everyone had wonderful things to say about my weight loss on Christmas Eve. My husband's cousin said, "You're so tiny!", making her my favorite person in the world! :) I went to my annual well woman visit on Christmas Eve and my doctor did a double take at the weight noted in my chart. She said, "This is your weight today?" We looked at my chart, and I have lost a little over 70 lbs since my well woman visit last year. So I'm feeling pretty good about my weight and am not going to let a couple of bad days derail me!

Ladies- I feel your pain. It's also TOM for me so I am feeling like a bloated sea cow today- I know the weight and the bloat will be gone in a few days as it happens every month but still- BLEH!!

On a happy note- I can get my size 12 jeans on. The ones I wore on my first date with my husband over 6 years ago. I can get them on- I can't sit, bend or breathe but HEY- I can button them!!! Small victories.

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Fiddlesticks, ya'll! I just bought a dehydrator...now you must explain what the heck is is an Actifry and why must I get one? lol But seriously, if that many of you bought one for IP, then I really do need to know more about it.
Here you go:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/263045-actifry-who-has-ip-friendly-recipes.html
(just use search function with keyword "actifry")
The scuttlebut is that you can make several pieces of fried chicken and french fries using only a tablespoon of oil each. I tried it and the results didn't thrill me, but I really need to fine-tune my technique. I think others have had far better success and perhaps can chime in here. But then, check out the link above.

Scorbett,
Great deals and you look marvelous! Congrats! :carrot::carrot::carrot:

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 08:05 PM
Ladies- I feel your pain. It's also TOM for me so I am feeling like a bloated sea cow today- I know the weight and the bloat will be gone in a few days as it happens every month but still- BLEH!!

On a happy note- I can get my size 12 jeans on. The ones I wore on my first date with my husband over 6 years ago. I can get them on- I can't sit, bend or breathe but HEY- I can button them!!! Small victories.

That's a BIG victory! Congrats! (And so smart of you to have kept them, an excellent benchmarking item!) :)

Nitney72
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
That's a BIG victory! Congrats! (And so smart of you to have kept them, an excellent benchmarking item!) :)

Ha! I kept them because I was hoping that some day.... some way.... I'd get into them again. I don't throw anything away- it's a PROBLEM!

fam4me
12-26-2012, 08:07 PM
WI tonight found me 1.5 pounds and 1.6" less. Total of 88.75 pounds and 88.4 inches. Glad to see some on here again that I haven't seen for a while. Welcome back and good luck!

Chloe222
12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Ha! I kept them because I was hoping that some day.... some way.... I'd get into them again. I don't throw anything away- it's a PROBLEM!

You are really in good company. Coco Chanel kept her clothes forever because she wore what she loved and saw her pieces as investments.

WI tonight found me 1.5 pounds and 1.6" less. Total of 88.75 pounds and 88.4 inches. Glad to see some on here again that I haven't seen for a while. Welcome back and good luck!

Great photo - you look terrific! Keep up the good work! :cb::cb::cb::cp::cp::cp::bravo::bravo::bravo:

NewPath
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM

Mrs. Kuby, It sounds like you have a very difficult situation...but, it can be done. Buy some ready-to-drinks. It is so very important that you stay 100%....you are doing well, now is not a good time to go 50% or worse. I have been in horrible situations...stranded without IP food that I really wanted, but because I always have ready-to-drinks with me, I have been successful. In addition to the ready-to-drinks, there are usually protein choices available..even at other people's houses. Try to really think this through. I want you to be happy with you!!!! You CAN do this!:hug:

NinjaNurse
12-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Good Evening all!!
Scorbett- You look amazing!!
Maezy- Glad you are feeling better!! Can I borrow some pain meds??

I have been having right-sided abd pain on and off for a few days. Last night I felt awful. Saw my PCP today tons of blood work and urine sent. CT scan showed an slightly inflamed right ovary. I am on Cipro. Pain is pretty bad, all I have is tylenol.

I was on plan through out the Holidays and feeling very pissy and cranky about it. I missed a IP packet last night and totally haven't drank the water I need to today. I got weighed at the Drs office and was down 2lbs. My IP WI is tomorrow. As long as I don't gain (all scales seem to have a mind of their own.) I will be ok.

My Dr is thrilled with the wgt loss and can't wait to see me in Feb. She wasn't too concerned with the inflammation, I still say I have a UTI. But we'll know more tomorrow.

Sammie12
12-26-2012, 10:37 PM
Hi everyone, I also got burnt out on veggies my first few weeks. Was eating alot of broc & cali. but now have found that I like salads the best with mixed greens. I will have to try out some of the purees & also putting spinach in the drinks. Tomorrow is wi hoping the scale will keep on moving down.

Willi
12-26-2012, 10:51 PM

Welcome back. There is no shame in being a human being and making a mistake. We have all been there!

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Ha! Yes, a lot of ways to spend $. I bought a mandolin, a magic bullet (and I already HAD a Vitamix!), a new nonstick muffin pan, a veritable menu of Walden Farms items, and more cookie sheets (to speed up the kale chip making process). AND in addition to all the new clothes you will need, there is also the cost of rewards to yourself for meeting benchmark goals. So far, I've purchased a facial, a 90 minute massage, and a wii system so I can do wii fit (haven't used the wii fit yet...need to get to my half-way point, which is less than 3 lbs away now)

And you just thought it was going to be the cost of IP itself, huh?:D

Sigh...I'm so sad I donated my dehydrator when I quit "doing" Atkins. I could sure use it new. Will keep watching Goodwill. I see somebody else posted the Actifry link. You might find a deal on ebay.

rainbowsmiles
12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
:snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo: :snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8494/8312220217_134e0fef34_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/56800290@N02/8312220217/)

sending you all some
SNOW LOVE FROM VERMONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo: :snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo::snowglo:

lisa32989
12-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Welcome back. There is no shame in being a human being and making a mistake. We have all been there!
All of us. It's why we need IP in the first place!

Willi
12-26-2012, 11:03 PM

Who needs to breathe if you can fit into fabulous jeans!

pekelvr
12-26-2012, 11:29 PM
I had the same problem with the vegetables. The thing that helps a lot is to share recipes and there are a lot of menu items on this site for IP as well. I am limited to the veggies i even actually like so it is a struggle in the beginning. I make a veggie bake - one head of broccoli one head of cauliflower broken up-place florets in a 9x13 cake pan, mix a pack of IP mushroom soup. Pour soup over veggies. Bake at 350 until the veggies are at a consistency that you like. Make sure you season with garlic salt etc before placing in oven. Do a search for ip recipes on google and on 3fatchicks and you should find quite a bit that will help you. Good luck!

amberjules
12-26-2012, 11:44 PM
So excited! My 4th week weigh-in and I lost 2.2 lbs. May not sound like a lot, but TOM came to visit this week and I honestly wasn't sure how it would effect my weight loss on IP so 2.2 sounded great to me.

My ticker chick isn't pumping the breaks...she's moving forward! :carrot:

LoriKay
12-27-2012, 12:05 AM
I just got through ALL the recipe stickies. It's taken me a few days!! Now on the the maintainer stickies... so much info, so little time! I need to go through the phase 3 breakfast recipes too, I scanned them once but it's time for some new ideas. My break from work is not going to be long enough!!

IdealProteinNewbie
12-27-2012, 01:34 AM
Rainbow, you're the cutest!