Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 24 - Dec 30

BillBlueEyes
12-24-2012, 05:40 AM
'Twas the Night Before Christmas . . . and all that.

Our tree is inside and decorated. As usual, once its best side was determined, it looks gorgeous in place. I didn't tell DW that I thought of all the body issue posts on 3FC when she had me turn it so the parts that stick out weren't so obvious, LOL.

My major triumph was at "Midnight Madness" at Whole Foods last night when I didn't buy a quart of 365 brand Mint Chocolate ice cream for 50% off - a whole quart for half price. Somehow the rational part of my brain figured out that I could solve a whole month of not-eating-ice-cream turmoil by simply not bringing it home. Yay for that tiny corner of the brain that is still sane.

WardHog
12-24-2012, 07:07 AM
Good job, Bill.

I am going to spin class this morning before the madness begins.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

bargoo
12-24-2012, 07:22 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year ! And to those who don't observe Christmas, I wish you the Best New Year ever.

CherryPie99
12-24-2012, 09:02 AM
Merry Christmas everyone!

I am feeling GREAT! Getting done with all my shopping and decorating early allowed me a day of complete relaxation yesterday! I began crocheting an afghan for DH's niece while watching the Dolphins kick some Buffalo booty!

I ran 6 miles on the treadmill and my IT Band barely made a peep!

I have been continuing my experiment to eat whatever I want and not worry about calories - have done that since Friday, and I was shocked to step on the scale this morning and see 118.0 - meaning no damage so far.

Today is Christmas with my family and tomorrow with DH's.

Hope everyone has a wonderful, peaceful couple of days, and sticks to whatever plan you have developed!

Jen

saef
12-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Best wishes to everyone over the holidays.

I was up early, edgy and fretting, unfortunately, concerned about making 6 AM spin class, getting to a couple grocery stores and baking a batch of muffins for my mother's enjoyment.

Now that's done, and I'm making out the Christmas cards with the cash enclosed for the apartment complex staff, an annual tradition if you've got a doorman or porter or desk attendant or superintendent who looks after you all year & does countless small but important errands, like accepting your packages and holding the door for you when you've got an armload of groceries or too many suitcases, and watching over your apartment if you're on vacation.

Next I'll be looking for some kind of Christmas concert in the area today to entertain my mother, who won't want to go downtown to the city to hear it. I wish Becky's son & his cohorts were just a little bit closer.

Hoping to get another interval, even if it's brief, of that warm Christmas-time buzz.

May you all be suffused with a feeling of well-being and goodwill toward others.

Mudpie
12-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all who celebrate those and Happy Holidays and all the best in 2013 to those who do something else.

I am getting over my cold and am looking forward to visiting with my "cousin" and her family tonite, even if it does mean driving on the highway. Weather is supposed to be clear with a bit of flurries so we should be fine.

Just waiting for DH to come back from a walk so we can have brunch and I can lie down for a bit before we pack up and head out.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Megan1982
12-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Merry Christmas eve to those who are celebrating. I'm safely tucked away with my parents, sister, BIL, and two adorable nieces. We even got a little snow today, though I doubt it will last more than a few hours. I spent a long time today wrapping the very large gifts I bought everyone. I didn't realize what big and odd shaped gifts I'd bought until I wrapped them all at once, lol. At least the fireplace tools for BIL came in a box.

I've been working up a sweat on their elliptical machine each morning and I love it. It's a big purchase... But I think I'm going to get one. It's so convenient to have it right there.

I'm off to make colored frosting to decorate the sugar cookies per my sister's request. Have a good evening everyone.

ICUwishing
12-24-2012, 07:54 PM
Merry Christmas wishes to all!

Saef, hopefully this will help. It was an audience participation number, but you can still hear the descants well: http://aaboychoir.org/videos.html

Looks like it's going to be a white Christmas after all!

ChrisMohr
12-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! You know, I just realized what I want for Christmas... a 2013 Maintainer's Calendar!! If someone has the energy to put together pix of us, all looking slender and beautiful in natural or otherwise beautiful settings, and send out PDFs for us to print out, I'd hang up such a calendar for daily inspiration! I can email a skinny-me picture to whomever may want to do this. We can put in a one-line description: Chris, maintainer since August 2012, on top of a 14,000 peak or whatever.... Not that I actually expect anyone to, but if someone does it would be an awesome Christmas gift!

WardHog
12-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Merry Christmas everyone! You know, I just realized what I want for Christmas... a 2013 Maintainer's Calendar!! If someone has the energy to put together pix of us, all looking slender and beautiful in natural or otherwise beautiful settings, and send out PDFs for us to print out, I'd hang up such a calendar for daily inspiration! I can email a skinny-me picture to whomever may want to do this. We can put in a one-line description: Chris, maintainer since August 2012, on top of a 14,000 peak or whatever.... Not that I actually expect anyone to, but if someone does it would be an awesome Christmas gift!

What a great idea! Hmm ... a skinny picture ...

Kery
12-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Happy holidays everyone! :)

Mudpie
12-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I just downloaded my first e book to my new Kindle - :woohoo:

Mudpie
12-26-2012, 06:33 AM
I see snow shovels in the near future for those of us on the east coast - I think Bill and saef are going to be hit the hardest? We are getting my dad's old car towed away tomorrow so I will have to muster DH to shovel out a drive and move some bricks to do it. He has promised to exercise more (I did "walk" him yesterday :p) but I don't want to kill him either :lol:.

Is it a big shopping day for anyone? Here Boxing Day is that biggie but I guess the Americans have been at it since Black Friday? My mother always hosted a large cold buffet on Boxing Day so I never got to go bargain shopping as I was her assistant for prep, cooking, serving, dishwashing, etc. We spent most of Christmas Day prepping and Boxing Day was always "buffet day" all day.

I bought a couple of things online yesterday as I thought it'd be quiet and there would still be stuff in my size left.

Today I'm going to go see Argo and DH is preparing a vegetarian pizza for dinner afterwards - a break from pork and ham. We didn't go overboard either on Christmas Eve or Day with the eating. :cheer:

My body really doesn't like sugar anymore though, except in fresh fruit. I had two helpings of the buche de Noel and woke up at 2 a.m. feeling quite sick :faint:. I will let DH finish the leftover today - he was complaining about only getting a "few" chocolates which he inhaled :ink: without tasting on Christmas morning.

SIGH. They were Belgian and given to me by a client and they are really, really good. If you bother to taste them. As I am doing with my secret stash - one per day. ;)

Back to exercising in the morning - yoga today! :yoga:

saef
12-26-2012, 06:56 AM
It's the sixth day of my mother's visit, and I'm headed off to the gym in a few minutes.

I'm also supposed to meet up at 10:30 in a local coffee house with a new friend who founded & runs a not-for-profit day camp for traumatized children. We're trying to coach each other through less stress & more downtime during 2013. Already I want to cancel because of my feeling that I've got to be "on" & entertaining my mother all afternoon.

Dagmar, the weather forecast down here keeps changing, but it's been a relatively warm winter in this area thus far, so we're supposed to get decidedly mixed precipitation. They're talking snow, then slush and sleet, then steady rain. As you know, rain is my enemy, so I'd prefer a seasonal snowfall.

I suspect Bill is the one who'll get substantial snow. And my hometown Upstate will get about 18 inches, probably delaying my mother's departure.

alinnell
12-26-2012, 09:35 AM
Christmas was a bit melancholy for me without DD. She called while we were opening presents and I think she felt a little homesick. Knowing it was she that was calling, I got all teary before answering the phone. I'm sure she heard it in my voice even thought I tried to mask it.

We went to see Les Miserables at noon. Wow! What a good, good movie! If you go, take a few tissues along.

Lots of phone calls with family in the afternoon while I was making Swedish meatballs for our dinner. Those were yummy and I'll have to make them again!

Sheila53
12-26-2012, 11:39 AM
I've been working up a sweat on their elliptical machine each morning and I love it. It's a big purchase... But I think I'm going to get one. It's so convenient to have it right there.

I bought a used Precor over a year ago and have never regretted it. I keep it in my rarely used living room along with my other home gym equipment. The coffee table doubles as a weight bench. :) If you buy used be sure and ask how many miles are on it. Not sure if all ellipticals store that information, though.

saef
12-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Alison, my mother loved "Les Miserables" but I disliked it more than any movie I've seen this year because it was so in my face & so over-the-top melodramatic and because I felt like it was **trying too hard** to make me cry. I thought Anne Hathaway was good, but gone too soon. This movie never met a deathbed or dying scene that it didn't like. A mother dies, a child dies, a benevolent patriarch dies, singing all the while. I'd rather go to a good opera like "La Boheme" than a cheesy movie in which I have to hear Russell Crowe trying to sing a policeman's lines.

I'm hoping to see "Silver Linings Playbook" this afternoon but it is going to depend on the weather behaving itself.

alinnell
12-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Sorry you didn't like the movie, saef. I enjoyed Silver Linings Playbook. Kind of predictable, but then most movies like that are to some extent.

Megan~we have a LifeFitness treadmill and a (I think) Schwinn elliptical. The elliptical we got from Amazon and it was less than $1000. So far both work great! I can't imagine what a new LifeFitness (or Precor) machine would cost! We got ours new, but it was donated to an auction fundraiser and we were the only bidders and got it for $1000. Oh, wait, just Googled it--both are around $4500! Yikes!

At our annual Christmas eve party we were talking to some kids that recently graduated from college and heard that they are moving to Georgia (Marietta). While they're excited and scared all the same, they're quite happy to have found a 3 bedroom apartment for less than they've been paying for a one bedroom one in Long Beach. I can't remember where he said he will be working.

Mudpie
12-27-2012, 06:58 AM
DH and I will be digging out two big driveways today. He can use the snowblower on ours but there's no way to get it over to my other house. That'll have to be done by hand as the junker car in the garage is being towed away today. DH will be mightily sore tomorrow. I better stock up on the muscle pain meds. And go and do some stretching before I start on our patio.

The cats were hanging in the doorway this morning and looking at me with astonishment. They had forgotten about this white stuff. Mishi attempted to go on to the steps and sunk in past his belly. Mud turned and ran for the heating vent. :rofl:

Dagmar :brr:

CherryPie99
12-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Hi all!

I have to work 1 day between Christmas and New Year's and today is the day! Bad luck on my part. We are getting nailed! It was an adventure getting to work for sure! We have about 18 inches on the ground right now and it's still going. Supposed to taper off so hopefully it won't be bad heading home.

I followed my plan for Christmas Eve and Christmas and ate WAY too much and paid the price. I am wondering if I have gallbladder issues. But after eating well and flushing my system yesterday, I weighed in not too badly today - under 120 which is my no-no weight.

I took a 4 mile walk with my dogs Christmas morning and it was so peaceful out. I want to re-capture that moment!

Hope everyone who is in the storm's path can hunker down!

Jen

Mudpie
12-27-2012, 10:34 AM
We have just over 12 inches of snow here. I am thanking DH over and over again for purchasing the snowblower. We still have looong driveway #2 to do once he is done our place. I did shovel out the front and side walks and the patio (for the cats :lol:) and my back was fine. Hope that holds out for driveway #2 - it all has to be done by shovel as the snowblower is too big to put in either of our vehicles.

Good day all. Those digging out take many breaks!

saef
12-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Perhaps as some slight compensation for Hurricane Sandy, we have no snow on the ground whatsoever this morning at my apartment complex. We have a damp, chilly wind that cut through my light winter coat. Time to bring out the down-stuffed jacket.

I saw my mother off, worrying a little, as she's heading right into snowy territory. She wanted to go, though. Her cat definitely wanted to be home. And to tell the truth, I was ready for her to go. At least she'll be traveling along the New York State Thruway, which is a well-maintained road with well-stocked rest stations. I'll be listening for her to call, to let me know of her progress.

I've gotta work today, too. Oracle bought something last Thursday and some analyst wants to write about it. There are other things I could get done, as well, though I have that holiday-related lassitude that makes me want to slack all day.

bargoo
12-27-2012, 11:53 AM
tsaef, you mentioned coats . I got 4 for Christmas. My children had heard me talking about looking for a coat and they took it to heart. DS #2 said I am going to take you shopping for a coat for your Christmas present. This turned out to be a fun excursion, the last time I was shopping with him I was buying him school clothes. I had told him sizing was weird so he thought it best if I try them on and pick what I like. He soon learned what I was talking .I tried on smalls and they were too large and I tried on mediums and they were too small. I have learned from experience that this is just the way it is and I keep trying until I find something that fits no matter what size they claim it to be.I found two that I liked and that fit and was trying to decide between them and he said he was going to get both of them I objected saying I didn't really need two but he said this will give you variety and he bought both of them. Meanwhile DS# 1 ,and DIL had jaclets on their list for me. A month or so ago I was at the Hospital for my treatment and DIL was with me and I stopped in the gift shop, they had a jacket I liked like but was too big, later on in another store I found one almost like it but it was too big , also. I mentioned this to DIL in passing.My Christmas gift from them was a jacket almost like the one I had seen at the Hospital they also gave me a topper good for warmer weather. I am guessing they bought it because it is purple and they know I like purple. I will not be needing any new coats for quite some time.

saef
12-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Bargoo, this is self-evident, but: Hey, you're back. Happy holidays! I know you went offline while visiting, and now I know that, like me, you are thankful for the pleasure of nice-looking clothing, which we didn't enjoy quite so much about 100 pounds ago.

I'm working online today and just got off a brisk phone call with my manager who wants to pretend there's no holiday holding stuff up. She wants me to call a meeting the day after New Years so she can present material to her own manager that Friday.

And I'm wondering how my mother's drive back Upstate is doing.

bargoo
12-27-2012, 02:34 PM
saef, I have often wondered if people thought I liked the clothes I wore when I was obese. Elastic waist pants for one. I think that those who design clothes for overweight women are men who hate women.

Mudpie
12-27-2012, 03:52 PM
saef, I have often wondered if people thought I liked the clothes I wore when I was obese. Elastic waist pants for one. I think that those who design clothes for overweight women are men who hate women.

I think a lot of the men who design clothes for skinny women hate us too - look at any layout in Vogue. I wouldn't be caught dead in anything they show there. I guess there is the "high fashion" garment and then there is the version that makes it into "regular" stores? I do like Ralph Lauren though - he seems to be the exception to all those male designers who make, to me, "silly clothes".

Dagmar :dizzy:

Megan1982
12-27-2012, 04:49 PM
All those unflattering fashions are why I like black yoga pants so much! I fear I'm one of those stereotypes who wears yoga pants very often. I put them on to walk the dog... and wear them all day. :p

I'm waiting for my flight at the Baltimore airport right now. After a day or two of being shy around me, my 2.5 yr old niece got over it and would read her dora books and do puzzles with me, too. I still don't have the magic touch w my 3 month old niece. When she 's happy she'll sit with me, but when fussy my mom is better at calming her down. I'll see my parents in March, but am not sure when I'll see my nieces, sister & co again. The trials of living so far away... I'm looking forward to seeing BF and my fur baby though, too.

Santa brought me a new iPod nano for my workouts! My old one is barely making it. He also brought me some amazon gift cards I will use for my new elliptical. I have my Schwinn model picked out and will order when I get home.

Bargoo, it's nice that your family pays attention to what you want. I've decided it is nice to have coat options and I'd like to get a few more. I hate to wear my big poofy ski jacket to a more formal dinner when a black pea coat would look nicer.

Saef, do you have to prep anything for the meeting or just call it? Hopefully just the latter. I'm sure your mom will get home ok. My dad is the same way. He'll drive in terrible weather.

Dagmar, hope you get all the snow cleared! The snowblower sounds great. ;)

Jen, I hope you get home from work alright and stay warm!

Allison, I found a Schwinn model on sale for about $600, which is how much I'd like to spend. My BIL has a Schwinn, so I know I like it, and it's a bit smaller so will fit in my space better.

Better go check on my flight. Back home, back to normal, whatever that is. Have a good evening all.

alinnell
12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
I'm not a fan of Ralph Lauren. Everything is not soft enough, if that makes any sense. It also seems to wrinkle too easily.

And Vogue? It's not worth reading unless you want to spend $500 per piece of clothing! I don't do fashion magazines.

My magazine of choice is More. In fact, besides Wired and Popular Science, it's about the only one I read.

I guess my style of clothes is comfortable and stylish. And black. I really like black. I have a pair of black pants that are about 16 years old and still in perfect condition (and still fit!). A colorful top and I'm set to go.

bargoo
12-27-2012, 05:59 PM
I only buy pants in black, brown, navy, beige or white plus blue denims then no matter what top I pull out of the closet I know I have pants that will work with it.

Mudpie
12-28-2012, 06:20 AM
I live in pants - mostly jeans in fall/spring (I have blue, black, and grey in various fits and styles but wear lower rise boot cuts mostly) and cords in winter. Yes I actually look good in corduroy - DH is always surprised by that. I have cords in mostly grey and black but I have one pink and one orange pair. All are lower rise boot cuts, to minimize my ***(ets). :lol:

I do have some beautiful dresses (and shoes and bags and jewellery) in my closet, which I pull out and admire whenever I'm dreaming of a different life. Sometimes I'll even put on the full monty - dress, heels, makeup, perfume, etc. - and go out to an occasion. But I have to go by myself. DH, now that he's "fat guy" doesn't have any clothes to dress up in and feels intimidated by my outfits.

I wish there was a "rent a date" thing I could afford that didn't involve hiring someone who expects to be "bedded".

I definitely need one of those gay men friends I keep hearing about women having. I could have a great deal of fun going out with someone like that!

Dagmar :p

paperclippy
12-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Hi folks! I'm back from visiting my parents in LA. Lovely weather, in the mid-60's the whole time, but unfortunately DH came down with a cold and my mom got food poisoning so overall not the greatest vacation (luckily I seem to have avoided the food poisoning and only gotten a mild cold). I got to see all my relatives though which was good and spend some quality time cuddling my sister's dogs, plus we made it to the art museum (LACMA) which had some nice exhibits and to a couple of my favorite restaurants. I got to have an "enhanced pat-down" at the airport on the way home because I opted out of the special scanner. The sign says it's safe for pregnant women but I figure better safe than sorry. I joke with DH that the reason we're having twins is because I went through those scanners when I didn't know I was pregnant yet.

Bargoo, belated congrats on your 5th maintenance anniversary!

Maintenance is totally out the window for me for the duration of this pregnancy. I'm up about 10lbs right now from my pre-pregnancy weight and I'm supposed to gain 30 more. We saw my regular OB this morning and she calmed us down after the scare the specialist gave us a couple weeks ago. I do have to take a pile of vitamins, but she said basically don't worry about it if I can't manage to eat everything I'm supposed to, and don't worry about all the things that could potentially go wrong because everything will probably be fine. I asked about the other doc saying I'd have to be induced at 36 weeks and she said first off, don't worry about delivery now because it's too early anyway, and second, most people with twins go into labor naturally around then anyway. DH liked the OB and is much more at ease about everything now.

In other news, I think between shopping with my mom while on vacation and xmas presents, I've nearly acquired a complete maternity wardrobe (no point in even thinking about trying to fit into my regular clothes anymore). I think it's somewhat hilarious that when I was heavy I put so much effort into concealing my belly, and now that I'm pregnant all the maternity clothes are pretty much designed to enhance my belly and show it off. :lol: I wonder what would happen if fat people just started buying maternity clothes? They're certainly comfy.

Carter did great with his dog sitter. There was a blizzard while we were gone, but she managed to make it to all her visits thanks to a beefy SUV. Of course, now that we're back and trying to get him on his old routine, he's whining at us constantly either because he misses his sitter or because we're doing something differently than she did. Last night after we got home this nutty dog was whining and running around like crazy because he wanted to play fetch with his squeaky ball for like an hour straight when we were tired and wanted to sleep! Oh well, I'm sure he'll readjust soon.

Sorry for blathering on for so long!

bargoo
12-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Just got off the phone with a weeping DIL. It seems I have committed the unpardonable sin of spending more for DGD'S Christmas gift than I did for DGS. This has led me directly to the peanut butter jar. Holidays ! Relatives !

Mudpie
12-28-2012, 04:56 PM
Jessica I have noticed too that most maternity clothes now seem to be tight knits that make the pregnant belly "pop" out and show it off. I remember when maternity clothes were tent-like (not that I ever was pregnant) and concealed the belly. Fashions change with the times I guess.

And go back to whatever routine Carter has with you guys. Whenever I dog sit the dog adjusts to my routines in one day, then back to his/her owner's in about the same amount of time. I think Carter may have been so glad to see you guys he didn't want to stop playing and interacting - this was your first long trip away from him, yes? Hence the squeaky ball. He will probably stay glued to you guys for a couple of days too - my dog generally wanted to go everywhere (including the bathroom) with me when I came back. As does Mudpie the cat - she is a labrador in the wrong body apparently. :lol:

Dagmar :dizzy:

alinnell
12-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Just got off the phone with a weeping DIL. It seems I have committed the unpardonable sin of spending more for DGD'S Christmas gift than I did for DGS. This has led me directly to the peanut butter jar. Holidays ! Relatives !

That's why gift cards are great. Everyone gets EXACTLY the same amount! But seriously? She called to complain?

I remember my mom fretting over spending more for one kid than another. I do try to keep it as even as possible. But it's not that easy.

I don't know if I told all of you how I lost my mind before Christmas or not. I had bought a bunch of gift cards--most to give to nieces and friend's kids, but one was for DS. A $50 card to Panera where he likes to go for lunch with his friends (yeah, I know, not a typical 17 year old!). Well, I didn't want him to see the card so I "put it away." And of course I couldn't find it. I even enlisted him to help me (told him it was a $50 gift card but didn't reveal where it was for). We searched. I searched ALL the hiding places I have. Nothing. I finally decided I'd thrown it out by mistake and bought another one.

Christmas morning, he's opening his presents. Thanks me for the gift card and then opens the next present and in the bottom of the box is the other gift card! I didn't remember I'd wrapped it with that present.

bargoo
12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
I do try to be equal in the amounts I spend and did for everybody else, but I did spend quite a bit more for DGD than DGS , it was not meant as a personal slight. My DIL is very hurt all I can say is "I am sorry you feel this way." Meanwhile the peanut butter is gone. This is the first time since she and DS have been married that there has been any kind of friction or hard feelings between us.

paperclippy
12-28-2012, 05:37 PM
Dagmar, LOL, Carter always follows me into the bathroom. :lol3: We've been away before, for longer -- he did better with his sitter this time than last time, possibly because last time there were thunderstorms which always freak him out. It was just funny because he doesn't normally want to play that much. He seems much more relaxed this afternoon (and is enjoying the nylabone he got as a present from his grandma & grandpa).

Bargoo, :hug: not much you can do other than assure DIL that money != love.

Allison, that is funny about the gift cards! We had a different variety of wrapping experiences this year because my mom got food poisoning, but we weren't sure if it was that or a stomach bug, so she wore rubber gloves to wrap everything to avoid transmitting it to me! (It turned out to be food poisoning, and non-contagious, but still.)

bargoo
12-28-2012, 05:50 PM
So, Allison, did DS get to keep BOTH cards ?

alinnell
12-28-2012, 06:24 PM
So, Allison, did DS get to keep BOTH cards ?

Yes. And hopefully he'll treat his friends to a couple free lunches!

Mudpie
12-28-2012, 06:39 PM

That is truly and deeply weird bargoo. And I don't mean the peanut butter. :lol: Maybe your DIL is suffering from "post-holiday stress relief syndrome" ? ;)

Dagmar :yikes:

bargoo
12-28-2012, 07:26 PM
After unloading all this by statrting out with "I can't keep this in, I must tell you, etc sob sob, there I feel so much better ." She felt better and I felt like a creep .

Shannon in ATL
12-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Oh Bargoo, that is aggravating. First, spending more on one than the other doesn't mean that you love one less than the other, and second, why did it make the mother cry? Did it upset the kids? And, how did they know how much more one gift was than the other? Aren't they still young enough not to really be clear on that yet? Argh. I hate the tearful "I have to tell you this..." conversations. How does she think it needs to be resolved? Or was the crying jag it?

I get a lot of that kind of thing from my mom. It is hard to know what to do or say the next times I talk to her, honestly.

:hug: I think you are a fantastic grandmother, from my outside perspective. Don't let her get to you. :)

BillBlueEyes
12-28-2012, 08:20 PM
Sending cyber hugs to Grandma bargoo for reaping trouble from acts of generosity.

Kids can be so competitive. My story this Christmas is that my 34 yo DS loudly announced to 30 yo DD that he had received 6 gold-colored dollar coins in the toe of his stocking when the know quota every single year since forever is 5 (a quality control issue with tired Santa, LOL). Naturally, this was interpreted as Dad loves me the most. Fortunately, I just handed DD one from my stocking and the problem evaporated. You'd think that 30 somethings would be above a one buck feud, LOL.

alinnell
12-28-2012, 09:11 PM
Love it, Bill! I can see my kids being competitive like that, too!

Of course this year they didn't get to open presents together, so they have NO idea! LOL

Mudpie
12-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Sending cyber hugs to Grandma bargoo for reaping trouble from acts of generosity.

Kids can be so competitive. My story this Christmas is that my 34 yo DS loudly announced to 30 yo DD that he had received 6 gold-colored dollar coins in the toe of his stocking when the know quota every single year since forever is 5 (a quality control issue with tired Santa, LOL). Naturally, this was interpreted as Dad loves me the most. Fortunately, I just handed DD one from my stocking and the problem evaporated. You'd think that 30 somethings would be above a one buck feud, LOL.

That too is truly, deeply weird Bill. But in a hilarious way :lol3:. I'm so glad you had that coin to even things out. :p

I have no siblings so can't really relate to the rivalry thing but it sounds like it goes on for life. My DH, who is almost 51 years old, has 2 sisters, aged 50 and 47. His sisters still refer to DH as "teflon boy" because he got away with so many things when he was young. Jeepers ladies, this was over 40 years ago. :dizzy:

bargoo
12-29-2012, 10:06 AM
And I still call my brother "my baby brother" he is 10 years younger than me and 6'2".