Ideal Protein Diet - Ideal Protein: Starting 1/1/13

View Full Version : Ideal Protein: Starting 1/1/13

yogacoffeelady
12-22-2012, 07:30 PM
I went to the dr. and did my physical to start Ideal Protein on 1/1/13. Going to the clinic on Thursday 12/27 to weigh in and purchase my food.

I'm excited!

I have weight from two babies to lose........would like to lose about 30lbs and know how to do it the "right" way but want to do it fast. I'm willing to tough it out for a couple of months to do it!

Bellamack
12-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I am also restarting the first of the year. I lost 30 pounds about a year and a half ago. and sadly, I have gained it back. I need to get back at it, I refuse to give up. See you on the boards after the holidays.

KitKat169
12-22-2012, 08:21 PM
Welcome! It will be great to have you with us in the New Year!

lisa32989
12-22-2012, 08:38 PM
Start reading/learning now! I read these boards for quite a while before I started IP and it was very helpful!

Much success to you!

brunette8706
12-23-2012, 01:36 AM
Hi !

I am going to start the IP "Alternative" food plan January 1st. Love $aving the extra $$$$. Hope to chat with you ladies soon!

Brunette

ragdoll74
12-23-2012, 09:51 AM
Welcome yogacoffeelady &brunette!

brunette8706
12-23-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Ragdoll!

I just started reading all the threads on the Alternative Plan and saw the before and after pictures. The ladies look amazing!

Hope to chat soon!
Brunette

New Englander
12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Welcome! Great choice! Ip has made a huge difference in my life as well as thousands of other people...You'll be able to find so much information on this site, it's awesome. Look forward to seeing your progress!

maggie

brunette8706
12-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Hi Maggie!

Thanks so much! I'm going to start taking before pictures this week (ugh). Going to Florida (Disney in May) and I want to look fabulous, lol! :) I'm sick of being overweight! BTW your stats look great!

Brunette

brunette8706
12-23-2012, 05:44 PM
Is anyone else interested in starting with us on the new year? It's about 1 week away. A new Year A new YOU!

Brunette

mrskuby
12-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Is anyone else interested in starting with us on the new year? It's about 1 week away. A new Year A new YOU!

Brunette

Hi Brunette! I actually just started myself...12/12/12! I just decided to jump in with both feet,LOL. I have lost about 10 lbs so far! I expect the weight loss will stall a little as I struggle through the holidays and all of the off limit foods! But I am already ahead so as long as I don't gain...then I will be happy! :carrot:

BTW, I've heard that if you start weaning yourself off of sugar and carbs in the week before starting the program, the first few days aren't as difficult (Fir me it was worse than quitting smoking! I was sooo edgy and cranky!)

I hope you have a great Xmas!
:ginger:

breezie68
12-24-2012, 09:57 AM
WELCOME everyone :) I wish you the best. It's an amazing journey, that's for sure :)

mrskuby
12-24-2012, 10:01 AM
I went to the dr. and did my physical to start Ideal Protein on 1/1/13. Going to the clinic on Thursday 12/27 to weigh in and purchase my food.

I'm excited!

I have weight from two babies to lose........would like to lose about 30lbs and know how to do it the "right" way but want to do it fast. I'm willing to tough it out for a couple of months to do it!

Hi yogacoffeelady! I just started the program myself and it's going really well! I'm finding it easier to "tough it out" on this program beacuse I am actually losing weight quickly! I hope you have the same experience~!

Merry Xmas!!!:xcheer:

sonyainva
12-25-2012, 06:55 AM
Prior to starting ip I was already eating good, had switched from white rice to brown, then went on to quinoa.

But the friend who introduced me to ip asked that for 3 days I eat all the carbs and sugar I wanted so that in the coming weeks I would not feel deprived. At first I didn't like that idea. But it did help me get all my carb cravings out of the way

gmadi57
12-25-2012, 10:18 PM
I would like to start the alternative IP plan if I can figure out how to find it on these threads. I did the ip plan two years ago last November and lost nearly 50 pounds of course I like some of the rest of you have slowly been gaining it back since thinking of course the weight will stay off .. I can eat carbs.. just kidding myself .. Anyway I am willing to give it another go.. I will keep reading the threads and hoping for some encouragment to get me started. :)

MrPhillips
12-26-2012, 01:24 AM
Hello,

I'm new to Ideal Protein. I started two 1/2 weeks ago. So far so good. I've been reading everyone's post daily to stay motivated. My weigh in day is Fridays. My first week I lost 9.2 pounds and last week 6.2 pounds. I'm not sure if I'm going to have a loss this week because of everything I've read this week. I'm also struggling with constipation for last two weeks now. I've been taking 4 nov-lax a day and it isn't really helping much. Any suggestion?

mrskuby
12-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Hi MrPhillips! Great job on your weight loss so far!! I wish I could give you some advice about the constipation but I know there are lots of folks here who can. Have you asked on the daily thread yet? It seems that that is the most popular spot so you could prolly get more responses there.

Good luck and stay strong! :)

ragdoll74
12-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Mr Phillips- Try Smooth move tea. Make sure you follow the directions on how long to steep the tea.

MrPhillips
12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Mr Phillips- Try Smooth move tea. Make sure you follow the directions on how long to steep the tea.

Where can I buy the tea?

Thanks!

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Where can I buy the tea?

Thanks!

I get mine at Wal Mart :)

MrPhillips
12-26-2012, 10:48 AM
I get mine at Wal Mart :)

Great! I'll pick up some today.

Thanks

gmadi57
12-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Could you tell me what the IP alternative plan is ? Do you just purchase your protein foods elswhere ? Or do you do other things different as well. Thanks for any tools you will share to help me get started.

usmcvet
12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html

The too two threads in the IP page will show two stickies. I suggest reading there first. There is a ton of good info. I gave you the link. Scroll down to the alternative thread.

Nashua Nutrition dot com is where I shop. I buy their Proto Thin and Proto Diet brands.

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Could you tell me what the IP alternative plan is ? Do you just purchase your protein foods elswhere ? Or do you do other things different as well. Thanks for any tools you will share to help me get started.

Do you mean the actual IP alternative diet plan (which is for diabetics or people who don't tolerate the official IP program well, and includes more real food), or doing IP using alternative products?

If you mean what we talk about in the "alternative" threads - we are just following the IP protocol but instead of using IP products, we use other products that have the same nutritional makeup as IP products. There are lots out on the market, some available in your local stores ,some (as USMCVET mentioned) can be ordered online.

Shedit
12-27-2012, 11:04 AM
Hello,

I'm new to Ideal Protein. I started two 1/2 weeks ago. So far so good. I've been reading everyone's post daily to stay motivated. My weigh in day is Fridays. My first week I lost 9.2 pounds and last week 6.2 pounds. I'm not sure if I'm going to have a loss this week because of everything I've read this week. I'm also struggling with constipation for last two weeks now. I've been taking 4 nov-lax a day and it isn't really helping much. Any suggestion?

You can search the threads on constipation a and find a few threads that cover this problem. I have to be very careful because I did experience an impaction which was quite scarey and painful. Miralax (daily) works for me and I might use an additional laxative if I feel concerned but since my episode the miralax seems to work for me. The tea did not help me so everyone's body is different.
Good luck, strong work! Jan

Shedit
12-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Happy after Christmas all! I have been traveling the past week and have not found it difficult to remain OP. Missing 2 WI while gone, but can feel the differences in my middle. So the suspense for results may build while I am away but I feel so much better OP than not this experience has been been a very pleasant surprise. I am beyond curious about how I will eat once the weight loss is over but I keep reminding myself to remain focused on P1 and plan for P2 & P3. The greatest thing about P1 is I have no doubt (thanks to all of you) that I will make it to my goal. This is the first time I have felt that way for years and years of trying to lose. I hope everyone has a great day and realizes how much each post serves to inspire others. Jan

usmcvet
12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
IP is awesome it just got too expensive for me. I'm following the IP protocol just using 90% alternatives. I love the IP chocolate drink mix and the IP Herb and Cheese Omelette.

I buy RTD drinks and supplements from GNC and most of my other door from Nashua Nutrition.

nifferg91
12-27-2012, 08:15 PM

Brunette

I am starting at the first of the year as well! I am excited. Ready to lose about 30 pounds. I am an Ideal Protein Coach in Washington.

brunette8706
12-27-2012, 08:39 PM

Hi there gmadi57!

So sorry for the late response, been busy with Christmas activities, lol! Yes, I just purchased a cheaper alternative than the Ideal Protein prepackaged meals. You can purchase the EAS RTD shakes. See scorbett1103 post above for more information. :) Let's all do this in 2013!

Brunette

brunette8706
12-27-2012, 08:40 PM
I am starting at the first of the year as well! I am excited. Ready to lose about 30 pounds. I am an Ideal Protein Coach in Washington.

Oh cool! Do the IP coaches get discounts on the their food? Keep us posted on your status.

Good luck! :)

Brunette

brunette8706
01-01-2013, 01:38 PM
Happy New Year and NEW YOU!

I'm starting today!

Who's with me!?

I bought my EAS RTD shakes at Sam's. Bought all my lettuce and veggies and protein (chicken breast). Also bought fat free plain greek yogurt and cottage cheese. Thinking about purchasing other low cost items such as Proti Diet and Lindora.

Anyone else starting today?

IdealProteinNewbie
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Brunette,
Congrats on getting started! But, I must tell you...yogurt and cottage cheese are not on Phases 1 or 2.

maezy1
01-01-2013, 01:58 PM
I would like to start the alternative IP plan if I can figure out how to find it on these threads. I did the ip plan two years ago last November and lost nearly 50 pounds of course I like some of the rest of you have slowly been gaining it back since thinking of course the weight will stay off .. I can eat carbs.. just kidding myself .. Anyway I am willing to give it another go.. I will keep reading the threads and hoping for some encouragment to get me started. :)

If you need any help figuring out the alternative program just msg me. I just made the switch in December after 2 months on IP food.

brunette8706
01-01-2013, 01:59 PM
Brunette,
Congrats on getting started! But, I must tell you...yogurt and cottage cheese are not on Phases 1 or 2.

Hey there!

Oh, I got that information from the sticky post above on this forum. I cut and pasted it below. Please let me know if I missed something. THANKS SO MUCH! :)

Alternative Plan - Phase 1 - To Be Followed Until 90% Of Your Wieght Goal Is Achieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Breakfast
1 IP packet
plus one group choice ( will list groups below)
plus coffee/tea with 1 oz skim milk
sweetener allowed

lunch
1 IP packet
plus 1 group choice
plus
2 cups select veggies and unlimited lettuce

dinner

7 oz fish or 5 oz meat from select choice
plus 1 group choice
plus 2 cups select veggies

snack

1 IP packet

Compulsory

64 oz water

1-2 teaspoon olive or grape seed oil

regular IP supplements

IMPORTANT: only one choice from each GROUP is permitted per day. ALL THREE GROUPS MUST be consumed per day.

GROUP 1

2 slices toast ( whole grain, pumpernickel, rye, multigrain,sourdough, stone ground whole wheat, oat bran, sprouted grain)
150 grams whole wheat pasta
150 grams brown rice ( not instant)
1 sweet potato, or small boiled potato
60 grams oatmeal ( non instant)
150 gram - 200 grams couscous
50 grams unsweetened cereal (bran, oat, whole grain or barley)
150 grams cooked legumes (chick peas, lentils, green peas, kidney beans)
150 gram corn

Group 2

fresh fruit ( example: 1 grapefruit, 1 apple, 2 kiwis, 150 g pineapple, 1 banana,200 g strawberries, blueberries, blackberries or raspberries.
fruit is allowed, but optional, and must not be replaced with another food group.

group 3

1 sugar free yogurt
1 - 60 oz glass milk (2% M.F or less)
30 gram cheese (about 20% M.F)
120 g cottage cheese
60 g feta cheese

Meat, veggie, seasoning choices are the same as regular phase 1.

maezy1
01-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Brunette - that is the alternative protocol for people with diabetes or who cannot tolerate the IP protocol.
Using alternatives is what I do which means following the regular IP protocol with non IP products
I know, it's confusing at first. The alternative program through IP is good but you wont lose lbs as fast from what I hear. The regular IP protocol allows for an ounce of ff milk a day. that is the only dairy

IdealProteinNewbie
01-01-2013, 02:15 PM
My mistake, I didn't realize you are doing the alternative plan!

brunette8706
01-01-2013, 02:28 PM
Brunette - that is the alternative protocol for people with diabetes or who cannot tolerate the IP protocol.
Using alternatives is what I do which means following the regular IP protocol with non IP products
I know, it's confusing at first. The alternative program through IP is good but you wont lose lbs as fast from what I hear. The regular IP protocol allows for an ounce of ff milk a day. that is the only dairy

Hi there!

I'm using the "alternative" plan because of the IP cost. I'm using the alternative plan based on the sticky above and that I cut and pasted. Thanks for the tip though, it's really appreciated. :)

scorbett1103
01-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Just some clarification on the two things we are talking about:

"Using alternatives" - this is not an official IP protocol, this is following the regular IP protocol but instead of using IP products, using off-brand products with identical nutritional makeup.

"Alternative Protocol" - for people with diabetes, hypoglycemia, or other issues that make them not tolerate the regular IP protocol. It allows foods not normally allowed on P1 and is a different plan from the standard P1 protocol.

The "Alternatives" threads are for those using alternative products. It would be great if folks who are on the official Alternative Protocol (diabetics et al) could start a thread to make it easier for those who need it to group together!

brunette8706
01-01-2013, 02:30 PM
My mistake, I didn't realize you are doing the alternative plan!

Hi!

No worries at all. :) Happy New Year to you. I just couldn't do the IP plan because of cost, so I'm doing the Alternative. :)

Brunette

brunette8706
01-01-2013, 02:35 PM

"Using alternatives" - this is not an official IP protocol, this is following the regular IP protocol but instead of using IP products, using off-brand products with identical nutritional makeup.

"Alternative Protocol" - for people with diabetes, hypoglycemia, or other issues that make them not tolerate the regular IP protocol. It allows foods not normally allowed on P1 and is a different plan from the standard P1 protocol.

The "Alternatives" threads are for those using alternative products. It would be great if folks who are on the official Alternative Protocol (diabetics et al) could start a thread to make it easier for those who need it to group together!
Hi there! Thanks so much for the clarification, it's very helpful.

FreeBird3
01-01-2013, 03:45 PM
Hi there! Thanks so much for the clarification, it's very helpful.

Question - So is the regular IP protocol not good for someone with Insulin Resistance (IR)? Although I haven't been officially diagnosed with IR just yet (I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday to confirm if I have IR or if I am pre-diabetic), I have dark spots on the front of my neck and I know my cholestrol levels are borderline high.

maezy1
01-01-2013, 05:47 PM
Question - So is the regular IP protocol not good for someone with Insulin Resistance (IR)? Although I haven't been officially diagnosed with IR just yet (I have a doctor's appointment next Tuesday to confirm if I have IR or if I am pre-diabetic), I have dark spots on the front of my neck and I know my cholestrol levels are borderline high.

I think that your doctor needs to answer that question. I know some ppl on the alternative protocol for IP who are pre diabetic and do fine but are doing the program under their physician's supervision.

gmadi57
01-02-2013, 11:45 AM
:carrot::carrot: I am exactly where you are. I lost a couple years ago and have gained about 30 lbs back . Are you going to an IP assisted dr or are you going to do this on your own with alternative proteins. ? I am just not sure yet how to go about this. Thanks for your input. Here we go people new year / new us . :carrot:

gmadi57
01-02-2013, 11:46 AM
maezy1

I dont know how to message you .. I am very new to this. Thanks for your help

Psycht
01-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello!

I am starting today doing the IP protocol but using alternative products :-) I have read a bunch of the threads on IP and Alternatives on this site and it has been very helpful. Looking forward to this journey towards better health!

scorbett1103
01-02-2013, 12:01 PM

As Maezy said, you may want to discuss this with your doctor. If you have hypoglycemia issues, you may need the "Extra" that the alternative protocol provides in order to be your most successful, but your MD would be the best place to get that advice from.

Hello!

I am starting today doing the IP protocol but using alternative products :-) I have read a bunch of the threads on IP and Alternatives on this site and it has been very helpful. Looking forward to this journey towards better health!

Great! Just remember that the "Alternative" protocol being discussed here is not the same thing as using alternatives - follow the traditional Phase 1 sheet and just swap out IP packets for your chosen products. Good luck!

BeccaGrim
01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
I think it would have to be up to your doctor. My clinic is actually at my doctor's office and I know she monitors our weight loss and other factors with the coach. Does your doctor know you're doing it?

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-ost/cartoonorange01/lb/228/160/214/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

BeccaGrim
01-02-2013, 04:20 PM
And Scorbett. I just noticed how close you are to finishing. AHHH. Congratulations!

Bellamack
01-02-2013, 04:32 PM
:carrot::carrot: I am exactly where you are. I lost a couple years ago and have gained about 30 lbs back . Are you going to an IP assisted dr or are you going to do this on your own with alternative proteins. ? I am just not sure yet how to go about this. Thanks for your input. Here we go people new year / new us . :carrot:

I did IP in 2011 and lost about 35 lbs and gained it back, I am using alternatives this time around. Good Luck to you :)

Bellamack
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM

IP is wonderful for Insulin Resistance, because of the low carbs.

scorbett1103
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
And Scorbett. I just noticed how close you are to finishing. AHHH. Congratulations!

LOL Thanks! I'm a little freaked out about it, can't believe it came up so fast!

joysh
01-02-2013, 07:04 PM
Hello,

Welcome! I know it's been over a week and hopefully you have gotten this under control by now, but I find that when I have at least one salad a day (lettuce) I do not have a problem with constipation. Most of the IP-allowed veggies that I eat (broccoli, cauliflower, peppers) are not particularly known for "moving things along," so if I'm sure to get enough real roughage like lettuce, celery, spinach) I have no problem. Hope that helps!

Happy New Year and NEW YOU!
I bought my EAS RTD shakes at Sam's. Bought all my lettuce and veggies and protein (chicken breast).

Welcome, brunette! Best of luck! Follow the Phase I sheet and you'll do great!

Gettinskinny879
01-04-2013, 01:22 AM
I am just beginning this program and I am really nervous that I won't be able to stick to it. I need to lose this weight desperately as does my hubby. I have 2 toddlers that will make it difficult to turn down their goodies. Any advice/support is greatly appreciated! I have roughly 50 pounds to lose which is daunting. I'm hungry thinking about it. What helped you guys in your first days/weeks? ;)

kileymed13
01-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I am just beginning this program and I am really nervous that I won't be able to stick to it. I need to lose this weight desperately as does my hubby. I have 2 toddlers that will make it difficult to turn down their goodies. Any advice/support is greatly appreciated! I have roughly 50 pounds to lose which is daunting. I'm hungry thinking about it. What helped you guys in your first days/weeks? ;)

One thing that helped me a ton was being really prepared food wise. I made sure I had my meals mapped out, extra lettuce on hand for if you get hungry between meals, decaf tea and hard boiled eggs. I totally understand the kid/goodie thing. My two are a little older (8 and 5) but it still isn't easy. I found I had to throw their food out right away if they didn't finish it which I hate doing! I also gave everything I could to the birds outside (crust from bread, etc). It helped to get it out of site. After a few days it is much easier and I don't have to do that anymore. I also tended to take a few minutes here if I was feeling tempted, it helped a lot to see what others have accomplished!! Best of luck and visit often :)

PamC
01-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Hi everyone, I'm Pam from Plymouth, MA and a newbie. I started IP over the weekend and got hit with the flu on the second day. At first I thought it was just my body reacting to no carbs, but then I realized with the high fever, etc. that it was the flu that seems to be going around.

I got a little nervous about being that sick on this diet and it being added stress to my system, so I did cheat a little and had a small glass of oj and a small baked potato at lunch and dinner. I just did that on one day though. Have been sticking to the plan easily since then as I don't have much of an appetite....and that is such a rare thing for me, I'm a total foodie, so I'm going with it!

As lousy as it is having the flu, it's making it easier to stick to the plan. So far the only thing I don't like is the vanilla pudding. The chicken and broccoli and cheese soups are good especially when I add extra veggies to them. I split up my protein between lunch and dinner because I'm usually hungrier at lunch. I need to get back on having salads. Haven't had any for the past few days. I love salad, but got sick of them fast.

One thing I am a little worried about is hair loss. Any tips on preventing that? I did medi fast a few years ago, lost ten pounds quickly but stopped because my hair was falling out a lot. It did come back, but it took about a year.

Am happy to be here, and very inspired by all of you who have done so well!
Pam

mrskuby
01-04-2013, 11:07 AM
Hi Pam! It's funny that you don't like the vanilla pudding, it's one of my favs! LOL I guess we all have different tastes!

Sorry to hear that you have this gawd-awful flu that's going around! I've had it since Xmas night! Still coughing and it hurts!

I have heard of people losing hair from other websites but haven't heard it mentioned here. I'll be curious to see what others here have experienced...

maezy1
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM
FACT just saw this on tv. 45% of people make a New Year Resolution to lose weight. 8% succeed! WE ARE THE 8%!!!!!!!

mquinn106
01-04-2013, 11:10 AM

Before I started I made a weekly menu and pre-cooked anything that could be prepared ahead of time. The first day, getting home from work at 5pm was the worst! I wanted to eat everything in the house! Since then, I leave a prepped salad in the fridge and veggies ready to go. It definitely helps to have something ready when you get home. Good luck! This site has been great for info and advice. I poked around before joining IP and felt so prepared and ready to make this change!

yogacoffeelady
01-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Glad everyone is doing well! I'm just starting day 4 and I'm down 4 lbs. 167.5 this am and started at 171.5.

Yay!

RareBird
01-04-2013, 11:46 AM
There are SO many threads on this site, I somehow missed this one until today, but I wanted to say hello here because I too started IP with alternatives on 1/1. Both the program and the site were recommended by a friend who's having great success (way to go, Jan!), and I read and learned for weeks before starting the program. For me, a site like this is enough to give me the support and inspiration to follow this to the end, so I'm thankful for all of you. I'd lost a great deal of weight in the past using various methods on my own and was a bit skeptical of IP at first because I'd vowed a few years ago that I could reach and maintain my goal weight by changing my lifestyle... eating a health diet and exercising... and would never "diet" again. But after almost reaching my goal weight that way (and it took several years), my old habits started creeping back, I started cooking my favorite foods, and I gained back over 1/3 of what I'd lost. I realized that by eating "healthy" frozen dinners while loosing weight, I still didn't know how to eat real food and maintain a healthy weight. I love the quick weight loss associated with IP, but also love all the recipes and tips to reduce carbs while eating satisfying food. I think with IP I really can change my lifestyle and eating habits, and I feel comfortable that such a structured program will really teach me how to do that. No problems so far, except some fatigue and leg cramps, so I added an extra potassium supplement as recommended here, and I'm just not happy with skim milk or vanilla RTD shake in my coffee, but I'm sure it a few weeks, I'll have it all worked out!

bubbleblower
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM
No problems so far, except some fatigue and leg cramps, so I added an extra potassium supplement as recommended here, and I'm just not happy with skim milk or vanilla RTD shake in my coffee, but I'm sure it a few weeks, I'll have it all worked out!

The potassium should help with the cramps, but also make sure you're getting plenty of water. My coach said to add 2 glasses of water for every cup of coffee on top of what I was already drinking.

RareBird
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
The potassium should help with the cramps, but also make sure you're getting plenty of water. My coach said to add 2 glasses of water for every cup of coffee on top of what I was already drinking.

Thanks, bubbleblower. I was actually thinking I might be drinking too much water and so was depleting my potassium. I bring water to work in liter bottles, so I know I drank over 100 ounces yesterday(because it seems I'm much more thirsty on this diet than usual). Is it possible to drink too much water?

bubbleblower
01-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Thanks, bubbleblower. I was actually thinking I might be drinking too much water and so was depleting my potassium. I bring water to work in liter bottles, so I know I drank over 100 ounces yesterday(because it seems I'm much more thirsty on this diet than usual). Is it possible to drink too much water?

It is possible, but highly unlikely. You would have to drink a lot of water very fast in order to suffer from what's known as water intoxication. You'd have to guzzle some serious quantities!

This article has some good info: http://voices.yahoo.com/water-intoxication-much-water-too-much-201296.html

BTW, the thirst is a normal part of ketosis.

cwil
01-04-2013, 01:09 PM
I also started on Tues Jan 1st - yay
I actually signed up and was weighed on Dec 24th .. but both my coach and I thought it would be best to start after my house full of guests left on the first.
The first few days have gone quite well. I had talked myself into understanding that first week would be absolutely horrible. Lucky for me, it was much less horrible than anticipated I have to admit that I was taking Advil for something else , so that may have helped with the headache that many people get. I was also kind of tired and foggy. Lucky for me it is a quiet week at work, so people didn’t seem to notice :)
I have been checking out information on this site and have found it very helpful.
Good luck to everyone doing this. I am really looking forward to celebrating all your successes along the way !!!
CW

scorbett1103
01-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Hi everyone, I'm Pam from Plymouth, MA and a newbie. I started IP over the weekend and got hit with the flu on the second day. At first I thought it was just my body reacting to no carbs, but then I realized with the high fever, etc. that it was the flu that seems to be going around.

One thing I am a little worried about is hair loss. Any tips on preventing that? I did medi fast a few years ago, lost ten pounds quickly but stopped because my hair was falling out a lot. It did come back, but it took about a year.

Am happy to be here, and very inspired by all of you who have done so well!
Pam

Welcome from another MA person!

Hair loss has been addressed in some of the older threads - it is a pitfall of losing a lot of weight quickly, it has to do with how your hair follicles react to the flood of hormones from fat loss. The good news is it DOES grow back once you are off the weight loss phase. Biotin is a supplement that you can take that may help reduce the amount of hair loss you experience, I have taken it since the 3rd week and my hair loss has been minimal. I also have hypothyroidism so sometimes it's hard to tell whether it's that or the diet causing my hair issues :)

PamC
01-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Ugh...I may need to put this diet on hold a little until I get over the flu. I should be feeling better by now, but my temp keeps going up instead of down. :( Just had a little OJ and am heating up a baked potato. Maybe I should look at the alternative thread so am not shocking the system too much.

scorbett1103
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Ugh...I may need to put this diet on hold a little until I get over the flu. I should be feeling better by now, but my temp keeps going up instead of down. :( Just had a little OJ and am heating up a baked potato. Maybe I should look at the alternative thread so am not shocking the system too much.

The sickness will pass, worry about taking care of your health above all else. My kids are still getting over the sickness but it has only set us back about a week - starting the alternative (diabetic) plan and then trying to switch to the regular isn't necessarily going to shock your system any less, and you may not see any weight loss anyway as your body is inflamed when it is sick - inflammation causes water retention which will show up on the scale. Just take care of you, this will all be here when you feel better and are ready to hit the ground running!

auroragrl
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
So far the only thing I don't like is the vanilla pudding. The chicken and broccoli and cheese soups are good especially when I add extra veggies to them. I split up my protein between lunch and dinner because I'm usually hungrier at lunch. I need to get back on having salads. Haven't had any for the past few days. I love salad, but got sick of them fast.

Pam, have you tried making your pudding with a little stevia and vanilla and cinnamon - it makes it so much better!

PamC
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
you may not see any weight loss anyway as your body is inflamed when it is sick - inflammation causes water retention which will show up on the scale.

Thanks Scorbett. I didn't know that, about inflammation when you're sick. It makes sense though, as I was unusually bloated yesterday and now I know why. :)

Pam, have you tried making your pudding with a little stevia and vanilla and cinnamon - it makes it so much better!

Auroragrl,
Thanks for the tip. I haven't tried using any sweeteners yet, but it's a great suggestion. My friend who is also doing IP mentioned that she's been adding Stevia to her stir fries as well. I never would have thought to do that, but she said it really enhances the flavor.

Pam

speterson
01-05-2013, 10:42 PM
IP is awesome it just got too expensive for me. I'm following the IP protocol just using 90% alternatives. I love the IP chocolate drink mix and the IP Herb and Cheese Omelette.

I buy RTD drinks and supplements from GNC and most of my other door from Nashua Nutrition.

Do you buy the lean shakes? my husband and I are thinking about using the lean shakes.

millertime
01-05-2013, 10:43 PM
My first appointment with my MD is 1/9/13; any suggestions to get me ready for this program? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Fishette
01-05-2013, 11:16 PM
My first appointment with my MD is 1/9/13; any suggestions to get me ready for this program? I would REALLY appreciate it!

Start now by eliminating as many carbs as you can and weaning off of soda if you drink them. That could greatly reduce the first few days of discomfort that so many experience as they get into ketosis.

usmcvet
01-06-2013, 10:22 AM
Yes I use the GNC lean ready to drink shakes. They have six carbs.

Fitter56
01-06-2013, 11:16 AM
I have been lurking on this site for months. I am an IP backslider. I started 7/2011, lost 40 pounds by 11/2011, went off plan, gained back some, started again 3/2012, lost some, husband diagnosed with tonsil cancer, went off plan and gained some from stress eating. Started 1/2/2013 and already lost 3 pounds.

Hubby now out of treatment, cancer free but having trouble recovering from the treatment. So I'm back with a new conviction and a new appreciation for good health. Thought I could do it agan just lurking but I've been struggling and need the accountability of this site.

I will be doing alternative products -- EAS shakes, Detour bars, Pure Protein bars. I have some leftover IP products, mostly fruity flavored shakes that no longer taste good to me but I'll slug 'em down. I had a coach the first time but it was long distance-- shipping products, weighing in once a month, encouraging emails from her. When I started back in 2012 I went coachless and was doing well.

Looking forward to this journey with you.

dishare
01-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Can you please tell me what the alternative plan is?

scorbett1103
01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Can you please tell me what the alternative plan is?

There are two things referred to as "Alternative":

1. The "official" Alternative Ideal Protein protocol - this is a plan for diabetics, folks who suffer hypoglycemia, and people who do not tolerate the regular IP protocol well. It incorporates more food and does not put your body in ketosis.

2. Using Alternative products - you follow the regular IP protocol, but instead of using Ideal Protein products, you use "alternative" brands that are nutritionally the same as IP but less expensive.

Ali Williams
01-07-2013, 03:24 PM
But the friend who introduced me to ip asked that for 3 days I eat all the carbs and sugar I wanted so that in the coming weeks I would not feel deprived. At first I didn't like that idea. But it did help me get all my carb cravings out of the way

Sonya,

Your weight loss is so impressive. When did you start exactly and have you been faithful to IP exclusively without cheating? Have you substituted IP meals for any alternatives?

I just joined this site but I have been afraid to post because I know I am supposed to read all the rules but I havenít had a moment.

I started IP on 1/4/13 so today is Day 4 for me and I have to say I feel really good which makes me feel like I am doing something wrong because I was told I would feel bad at first and then tired for a few weeks. I actually feel alert and although I don't LOVE the food, I AM managing to eat it with the 2 cups of veggies and I donít feel tempted by other foods which is a big deal. I will say Day 2 was the hardest because I started craving things I donít even normally like. I am sure I was just feeling deprived which is normal. I never noticed food on TV like I did Saturday. I didnít miss a thing anyone put in their mouth..it was bizarre. I held out because this is just too expensive to cheat on...not to mention, I am irritated because I think I was overcharged when I hear what others have paid but I digressÖ

Thanks!

Ali in Boston

Psycht
01-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Quick question - Does anyone know how many of the Annie Chun's Roasted Seaweed snacks constitutes a cup? The package is .35 ounces and there are 20 sheets in a pack. I know that it is dried so it would be less than a cup to make a cup of hydrated seaweed. I just do not know how much less :-P Thanks for any insight!

Ali Williams
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
2. Using Alternative products - you follow the regular IP protocol, but instead of using Ideal Protein products, you use "alternative" brands that are nutritionally the same as IP but less expensive.

I see you are in Mass too! ;-)

I have a question about the alternatives; how do you know it's a viable alternative? My food is in silver packets with no information on them. Perhaps it is because I am on my first week and my IP Coach gave me a bag prepared with 10 days of meals in it; 1 of each kind I think. How can I find out the nutritional information?

I would love to substitute because I am not sure how long I can afford this especially since I paid so much to start (it was $110 more than I was led to believe which is a week of food).

Is there a site that lists the products and their nutritional information?

Sorry to ask dumb questions.

Ali in Boston

De11s
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Just started in November very excited about my results so far. As of last weigh in down 13lbs next weigh in Wed. Looking for a big number. Praying that this is the final answer to my prayers, after a HUGE disappointment on HCG 5 1/2 rounds lost 50+ lbs and gained almost everyone of them back within 6 mo. :stars:

Jonnie Sue
01-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Here I go, posting for the first time to this awesome site. I have been lurking for several days and spending hours reading posts and getting great tips and suggestions, not to mention encouragement! Thank you!
I started IP way of life on January 2, 2013 after having the instructional meeting and weigh in on December 19, 2012. I have my next weigh in on Wednesday and I am a little nervous about it since I had that 2 week period of eating lots of carbs over the holidays and probably gained several pounds. I was not able to weigh in closer to starting because the clinic is 125 miles away. I will be weighing in every 2 weeks because of the distance.
So far the program is going great. I had one night of insomnia and a couple evening of slight headaches. My energy may be coming back but I have spent most of the time on the computer reading all of this.
I am so glad I found you all and excited about losing this weight for the last time. :carrot:

Psycht
01-07-2013, 05:03 PM
Welcome Jonnie Sue! Where is Wyoming are you located? I am in Billings MT :-)

Shanelle
01-07-2013, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone,
I just rejoined the weight loss world. I had great results the first time I tried Ideal. I lost 40lbs in 12 weeks:) Unfortunately a busy life of parenting and university got the better of me and I gained it all back. Now graduation is just around the corner (end of April) and I am determined to take this weight off again so I can buy a great dress to celebrate!
I'm looking forward to meeting and chatting with all of you!
See you on the boards:)

scorbett1103
01-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Welcome to all the new starters!!!
Be sure to visit the Daily thread, that's where we do most of our chatting :)

I see you are in Mass too! ;-)

I have a question about the alternatives; how do you know it's a viable alternative? My food is in silver packets with no information on them. Perhaps it is because I am on my first week and my IP Coach gave me a bag prepared with 10 days of meals in it; 1 of each kind I think. How can I find out the nutritional information?

I would love to substitute because I am not sure how long I can afford this especially since I paid so much to start (it was $110 more than I was led to believe which is a week of food).

Is there a site that lists the products and their nutritional information?

Sorry to ask dumb questions.

Ali in Boston

No such thing as dumb questions :) And yes I'm in MA too, southeastern MA near the Cape. There are a few of us Mass&*les here :)

In the Newbie sticky thread at the top of the forum, there are PDF scans of the nutritional information for each IP product. But when I started using alternative products, I actually checked the nutritional info off of www.plainprotein.com - that is also where I still order my IP suppelements, they sell the IP products online. Each product description includes a snapshot of the side of the box.

If you are thinking of using alternative products, there are a few threads with a LOT of information on what folks use, what they have found works/doesn't work, and where to buy. If you come across something and aren't sure if it's IP compatible, just post the nutritional stats here (total calories, cal from fat, fat g, carb g, dietary fiber g, protein g) and we can let you know if it's Phase 1 safe :)

Good luck!

loopers
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
had a horrible day at work - the regional manager is a big jerk, and I HATE it when he comes to the office - always second-guessing me and contradicting me and treating me like I'm an idiot. would love to drink a whole bottle of wine tonight, but alas, I cannot. I will behave.

Oh, and the office is going out for breakfast tomorrow as a celebration - good for them, I will be going to work, as I cannot stand sitting there watching other people eat bacon and toast and hash browns. it's just too hard right now...

Hope everyone has a wonderful week! Here's to lots of pounds lost and staying OP!

Jonnie Sue
01-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Welcome Jonnie Sue! Where is Wyoming are you located? I am in Billings MT :-)

Psycht, I am originally from Billings but have lived in Sheridan, Wy for more years than I like to admit!

SweetShe
01-07-2013, 07:38 PM
I am a newbie as well - started 1/5/2013 so it's day 3. I'm doing pretty good actually. I had some low blood sugar symptoms yesterday but felt much better after eating. I'm very excited!!

I've obviously not had a chance to eat too many IP foods yet but one thing I do know is that I do not like the crispy cereal.

Starting weight - 283, goal 150. I was going to have my goal be 180 thinking that was more "realistic" but I do really want to be 150 so that is my real goal.

IdealProteinNewbie
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
I am a newbie as well - started 1/5/2013 so it's day 3. I'm doing pretty good actually. I had some low blood sugar symptoms yesterday but felt much better after eating. I'm very excited!!

I've obviously not had a chance to eat too many IP foods yet but one thing I do know is that I do not like the crispy cereal.

Starting weight - 283, goal 150. I was going to have my goal be 180 thinking that was more "realistic" but I do really want to be 150 so that is my real goal.

You'll do great...we have almost the exact starting weight, goal weight and are both 5'6"!

Ali Williams
01-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Welcome to all the new starters!!!
Be sure to visit the Daily thread, that's where we do most of our chatting :)

No such thing as dumb questions :) And yes I'm in MA too, southeastern MA near the Cape. There are a few of us Mass&*les here :)

In the Newbie sticky thread at the top of the forum, there are PDF scans of the nutritional information for each IP product. But when I started using alternative products, I actually checked the nutritional info off of www.plainprotein.com - that is also where I still order my IP suppelements, they sell the IP products online. Each product description includes a snapshot of the side of the box.

Thanks, Scorbett ! I just saw this..I need to learn to maneuver the site and make sure my nosy boss isnít sneaking up behind me. ;-)

I really appreciate that information because I have a few friends who are interested but they canít afford it (****, I barely can so I understand) and I would love to show them cheaper alternatives because apparently it really works. I had my first WI last night and I am down 6 lbs

I will go to the daily chat area. Thanks again!

Ali in Boston (for 3 years-really a Southern Belle from NC :))

Kwucut
01-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Hello,

I started IP on Jan 2 and on the 8th i asked for the Nov-lax took 2 pills 4 times and then it worked on me....I am cutting mine back to 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening now and see how that works. My weigh in in on Tuesdays and I lost 4 lbs the first week without cheating at all. So wow congrats on your 9.2 loss the first week!! :carrot:

IP43
01-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Here's a tip: You can take ANY of the packages and basically add an egg white, a half a tsp of baking powder, and various amounts of liquid and bake it into something else. Take your cereal and a rolling pin and roll the crispies flat into a powder. Follow the above advice and make the cereal into pancakes. Depending on how much water you add, you can make a few pancakes out of one pack. If you add water, let it sit for a bit,it will thicken up to a nice "pouring" consistency.

Those cereal packs are an easy thing to have as a quick snack if needed. Some people also take the "milk powder"out for their coffee and just cook the crisps but I've never gone to that effort.

I'm tellin' ya -- the pancakes are YUM. If you add too much water, it becomes a 'crepe' and I add salt and keep my crepe to use as a "wrap" or tortilla shell. It's not the real deal, but it changes things up a bit.

Check out the recipe threads for lots of great ideas

meilach
01-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi everyone! I'm an IP newbie today was the end of my first week. I lost 4.5 lbs and 4 inches not the most amazing numbers but better than a 4 lb gain!

I'd really be interested in hearing from any of you who are maintaining! Is it doable? How long have you been maintaining for? :)

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar057/muffin/lb/192/130/188/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

IP43
01-11-2013, 10:35 PM
Hi everyone! I'm an IP newbie today was the end of my first week. I lost 4.5 lbs and 4 inches not the most amazing numbers but better than a 4 lb gain!

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar057/muffin/lb/192/130/188/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

Four pounds is a very good number -- that's even the number some of them have on "the Biggest Loser" and they have a personal trainer and are working out in a gym 8 hrs a day. As I mentioned earlier, this is still a "slow and steady" diet. There will be some fun "whoosh" weeks, but lots of weeks without 4 or more pounds a week, so enjoy 'em when you get 'em!

There is a whole thread on maintainers so maybe "lurk" there and read a few posts to see how the people who have been on here awhile are doing. They may not be reading your posts in the "newbie" section but they'd have good advice if you ask I'm sure

sonyainva
01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Sonya,

Your weight loss is so impressive. When did you start exactly and have you been faithful to IP exclusively without cheating? Have you substituted IP meals for any alternatives?

I just joined this site but I have been afraid to post because I know I am supposed to read all the rules but I havenít had a moment.

I started IP on 1/4/13 so today is Day 4 for me and I have to say I feel really good which makes me feel like I am doing something wrong because I was told I would feel bad at first and then tired for a few weeks. I actually feel alert and although I don't LOVE the food, I AM managing to eat it with the 2 cups of veggies and I donít feel tempted by other foods which is a big deal. I will say Day 2 was the hardest because I started craving things I donít even normally like. I am sure I was just feeling deprived which is normal. I never noticed food on TV like I did Saturday. I didnít miss a thing anyone put in their mouth..it was bizarre. I held out because this is just too expensive to cheat on...not to mention, I am irritated because I think I was overcharged when I hear what others have paid but I digressÖ

Thanks!

Ali in Boston

Funny to hear someone say they are impressed by my loss, last 6 weeks I was zig zagging. I don't use alternatives, I have a great coach, I got lucky, very non judgemental and compassionate, yet tough as nails.

I look up to scorbett, lizrr, maile and try to follow their footsteps.

I had two major slip ups in 16 weeks.

Learned and got right back on.

If you feel great that's a plus. Trust the protocol and follow, pounds will melt away.

Welcome to ip

bubbleblower
01-12-2013, 08:29 AM
If you feel great that's a plus. Trust the protocol and follow, pounds will melt away.

This is becoming my motto. Once I got through the first week, I noticed how much more energy I have and how good I feel in general. When I have a lull in my weight loss (I can't seem to break myself from daily weighing) I just tell myself to keep the faith and stick to the program. Lo and behold, my weight keeps decreasing, slowly but surely. I've learned to at least look beyond the daily ups and downs and just focus on my average weight loss since starting the program. Bottom line: It works if you work it.

Welcome to all the new starters (and Sonya, I too am impressed by your progress! :cp: )

PamC
01-12-2013, 10:14 AM

I'd really be interested in hearing from any of you who are maintaining! Is it doable? How long have you been maintaining for? :)

Actually 4.5 pounds and 4 inches IS pretty amazing! That's a great weigh in. I lost about the same amount my first weigh in and only 1 inch. Am looking forward to my next weigh in on Tuesday. I'm not sure how many pounds I'll be down but I know I've lost more inches. My clothes are already looser!

diane60
01-12-2013, 10:52 AM
Could someone please tell me how and where to buy all the food for this Ideal protein diet. I had never heard of it before and it sounds like a good plan.Or is it something you get from the doctor? Thanks! Diane

scorbett1103
01-12-2013, 05:48 PM
Could someone please tell me how and where to buy all the food for this Ideal protein diet. I had never heard of it before and it sounds like a good plan.Or is it something you get from the doctor? Thanks! Diane

Here is the main website for Ideal Protein, it is administered out of clinics or centers. There is a locator tool on the website so you can find a clinic near you.

http://www.idealprotein.com/ca/home

diane60
01-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Thankyou so very much scorbett1103!

meilach
01-15-2013, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words!

Four pounds is a very good number -- that's even the number some of them have on "the Biggest Loser" and they have a personal trainer and are working out in a gym 8 hrs a day. As I mentioned earlier, this is still a "slow and steady" diet. There will be some fun "whoosh" weeks, but lots of weeks without 4 or more pounds a week, so enjoy 'em when you get 'em!

There is a whole thread on maintainers so maybe "lurk" there and read a few posts to see how the people who have been on here awhile are doing. They may not be reading your posts in the "newbie" section but they'd have good advice if you ask I'm sure