Weight and Resistance Training - December is almost over - Chat thread

nelie
12-22-2012, 07:12 AM
I know we haven't had a chat thread in a long, long time. Anyone want to join in? I am going on vacation so I'm going to be sporadic but ha I figured it was a good thing to start.

I've been working out with a trainer once a week at a traditionalish gym. They have a squat rack that I own on my leg days (I go in the morning on those days).

Yesterday, we did cleans and cleans+presses for nearly an hour. It was fun but our workouts different week by week but I told him I wanted to do cleans so cleans we did.

fitmom
12-22-2012, 07:53 AM
I was noticing that there was no chat thread, lol. Happy there is one now though.

I'm almost done with Phase 2 of the New Rules of Lifting for Abs. I bought myself a weighted vest (an early Christmas gift) and want to incorporate that into the next and final phase of the program so I can continue to challenge myself.

This phase has a lot of pull-ups in it and I'm really liking the mixed grip ones. The next phase has turkish get-ups written into it and I'm excited because I love working with my kettlebell.

nelie
12-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Oh I might have to look into that book :)

When I go visit my parents (my upcoming vacation), I mostly do walking and kettlebells. A few years ago, I bought a couple kettlebells to keep at my parents house since we visit a couple times per year.

It also looks like the New Rules franchise is coming out with another book, it looks good as well.

fitmom
12-22-2012, 08:32 AM
I'm in love with the New Rules series, lol. I've completed the women's program and am looking into the "Lifting for Life" book down the road. They just fit my lifestyle - full-body workouts, compound exercises done 3 times a week.

I have 2 sons so I don't have loads of time to devote to lifting weights. I need to have something I can do a few times a week and be done with it.

I will say that I'm liking the abs program a little more than the women's program. This one has a mix of core, strength and cardio in each workout. Also, they have an interesting warm-up routine which I love too.

nelie
12-24-2012, 08:49 AM
I bought the abs book on kindle, which I say is great for reading but not sure about for following the program. It is a great book. I'm not sure how'd I'd incorporate it into my current stuff but I'll definitely start adding the warm up stuff.

fitmom
12-25-2012, 08:55 PM
I thought the same way when I first purchased the book. It sat in my top dresser drawer for almost a year before I revisited the possibility of doing the program. I guess it depends where you are in your life, time-wise and whatnot. Nevertheless, the dynamic warm-up is intriguing and keeps the workout fresh. The seal jacks are my favorite move.

krampus
12-27-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm still following a pretty helter-skelter routine based on total whim. I try to make sure my chest, triceps, back and legs/glutes get worked on a couple days per week, which amounts to 3-4 days a week where some weight is lifted. Yesterday I did 5 x 5 at 180 on the leg press - it was the first time I'd leg pressed since March, and I'm not sure how that measures up, or what is expected/average/considered "good" for my body weight?

I'm afraid of injuring myself squatting or lunging heavy (I am pretty sure my form sucks) and wish I had a guide or someone to show me proper form on the "big 4" with barbells.