Ideal Protein Diet - Restaurant Woes...............

View Full Version : Restaurant Woes...............

NinjaNurse
12-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Last night was my 1st venture at a restaurant since I started IP. I am determined to stay OP no matter what.

We went to Joe's American Bar and Grill. I thought it was a better choice than Uno's.

It was such a PIA. EVERYTHING on the menu had something added that was fat or carbs. Even a house salad had a ton of crap on it. The only veggie choice was steamed broccoli.

But if course, they had gluten free pasta, the new fad. (No offense to those who are allergic.)
My point is there were not even slightly IP friendly alternatives without making a bunch of changes. I ended up spending about $25 for a burger w/mushrooms (not sauteed) the most basic salad they had with 99% of the crap taken out and steamed veggies which had some some sort of butter on them. (I said no butter)
I don't mind the cost, I have done low carb at restaurants before, but it was so annoying.

I am surprised at this because this is a chain and they don't seem to have hopped on to the healthy bandwagon. I am sure they think some of their choices are healthy, but once you get the sides that come with, forget it.

I did start off bad because I mixed a IP drink to take with me to my cousins and in my rush, left it on the counter. So I was starving when I got to the restaurant. I had Scorbett on bat phone helping me get a snack at CVS. (I went to a concert last night)

I was wondering if we could start a thread about helpful hints for dining out, even rate what restaurants were good, esp chains of course, and what ones weren't helpful.

I wouldn't give Joe's even one dancing carrot.

bubbleblower
12-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Since I was traveling last week, I had to eat at a number of restaurants. I was really wary about it since it was only week #2 OP. Here are a couple of things I ordered. I was always very specific that I was on a highly restricted diet.

For breakfast: Egg white/egg beater omelet with no butter or oil; peppers, mushrooms, scallions; no sides of toast, bacon or hash browns. It was great, believe it or not!

For dinner: We ended up once at a sports bar so I ordered a 6 oz. strip steak, salad with no dressing (yeah, I'm weird, but I don't mind plain salad); steamed broccoli (I was very specific that they were to have no oil or butter).

I also went out to dinner closer to home and ended up in an Italian restaurant with my husband. I had a salad with grilled shrimp, scallops and calamari and again was very specific about no added fat. The waitress even found some cider vinegar for me. ;)

When I've ended up at parties with buffets, I've eaten steamed shrimp, celery and broccoli. And I've gotten in the habit of always having an IP item close at hand just in case there's nothing suitable for me to eat.

I'm not shy about sending back my food if it's not as I specified. That said, I've been really fortunate since starting the diet as people have been very accommodating so far.

I'm sure others who have been OP will have lots more suggestions ... I'll be looking for them myself, as I have a lot more restaurant meals coming up! :lol:

Shedit
12-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Last night was my 1st venture at a restaurant since I started IP. I am determined to stay OP no matter what.

We went to Joe's American Bar and Grill. I thought it was a better choice than Uno's.

It was such a PIA. EVERYTHING on the menu had something added that was fat or carbs. Even a house salad had a ton of crap on it. The only veggie choice was steamed broccoli.

I was wondering if we could start a thread about helpful hints for dining out, even rate what restaurants were good, esp chains of course, and what ones weren't helpful.

I wouldn't give Joe's even one dancing carrot.

I think a sticky addition on restaurant chains is a GREAT idea...I am giving you 4 dancing carrots!:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

bubbleblower
12-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I think a sticky addition on restaurant chains is a GREAT idea...I am giving you 4 dancing carrots!:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

I agree!! That would be terrific!

NinjaNurse
12-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Thank you everyone! we can keep it here or I can start a new thread. I'm on my phone but when I go on the PC I'll see if I can edit my original post.

Cindy56
12-21-2012, 05:38 AM
Thank you everyone! we can keep it here or I can start a new thread. I'm on my phone but when I go on the PC I'll see if I can edit my original post.

This is a great idea! We eat out a lot and my go-to is steak (be sure to tell them no butter since most places add it to sear the meat nicely) and steamed broccoli and/or plain salad. Any Chinese place will do steamed veggies and chicken or shrimp. Mine is kind enough to make a "sauce" from just chicken broth, soy sauce, and some spices (no cornstarch). Soy sauce and Chinese mustard mixed can help a bland, steamed dish taste pretty good. I've found that most places have something palatable on the menu, but will have to remember not to go to Joe's! Sounds like that was not an enjoyable dining experience!

Thanks, NinjaNurse, for the idea for this thread! I look forward to seeing how others' dining out experiences have been.

ragdoll74
12-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I try to avoid eating out too often, but usually the best places to go are steak houses. They typically grill all of their meat, and there are usually plenty of veggie sides (just make sure to ask for no oil and no butter).

The easiest salad to modify at most restaurants is a cesar salad. Just ask for no cheese, croutons or dressing. Ask for vinegar, oil and/or lemon to use for dressing.

My husband loves to go to Texas Roadhouse. Anyone who's been there before knows the menu there looks far from IP friendly. I've had some really good IP meals there. Always a steak and double veggies, no oil or butter.

Sammie12
12-21-2012, 09:20 AM
This is a great idea. I agree with ragdoll about Texas Roadhouse my hubby & I went there last week for dinner. The one near me was very good about making the food the way I wanted. Longhorn as well will make your food the way you like it. I also bring with me a small container of apple cider vinger to use on my salad with the olive oil the restaurant provides.

A1Texan
12-21-2012, 09:26 AM
I eat out for lunch every day and have found something on the menu or something I can modify at every place. Here is a list of places: Fuddruckers, Pappadeaux's, any Mexican place, Longhorn Steakhouse, Logan's, BBQ joints. My suggestion is to stick with places that have fish and beef or salad bars :)

Hgamroth
12-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Applebees has always worked with me no matter what city I was in. I always order either a 7oz steak, dry cooked and a double order of steamed broccoli with no butter or the shrimp and spinach salad with double the shrimp and no dressing or almonds.

AlisonS
12-21-2012, 09:29 AM
I think the key is to research the menus online before you go and try to influence the choice of restaurant based on that.

Ruby Tuesdays is a good choice because they have two vegetable options (grilled zucchini and steamed broccoli) and steak. Plus they have that salad bar where you can put on only the things that are OP.

I have been to Disney 3 times since being on IP, and every restaurant that I was to there (Tony's twice, Narcoosees, Brown Derby twice, Grand Floridian Cafe) was very accomodating.

I have also been to Outback which has IP friendly veggies and entrees.

AMC Dine-in movie theaters also have plenty of healthy options.

I'm not sure it is a national chain, but Passion Fish restaurants are IP friendly as well.

It is a good idea to keep some of the Walden Farms salad dressings in your purse. I also have packets of EVOO and vinegar that I carry around.

Good luck and keep the suggestions coming!!

scorbett1103
12-21-2012, 11:03 AM
Applebees has always worked with me no matter what city I was in. I always order either a 7oz steak, dry cooked and a double order of steamed broccoli with no butter or the shrimp and spinach salad with double the shrimp and no dressing or almonds.

LOL those are my go-to items at Applebees too!

I have a practiced mantra for when I go to a restaurant:

Gluten Allergy
Dairy Allergy (including butter)

Unfortunately not all restaurants will play nice unless they think there's some liability involved. I find it just simplifies things if I can't spot something "safe" on the menu that doesn't require special ordering.

southern
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I refuse to order a salad at a restaurant

Restaurants (red lobster, Applebee's, Cheddars, outback)
I always get steak and shrimp, or fish. With broccoli

If I have to eat fast food, I order a grilled chicken sandwich and eat just the chicken

Smoothie king - low carb or chocolate protein w/ NO turbinado. Small (check cals and carbs and make your decision about this one)

New Englander
12-21-2012, 12:02 PM
I completely avoided eating out during p1 , except once. And wouldn't you know the one time I wanted celery to chomp on they were out of it. Lol. This was a pub restaurant and had it on their menu with buffalo chicken, which my dh got. So, I asked for plain tomatoes and cukes and it was pretty unappetizing...it was a retirement party and the table was filled with colorless fried appetizers...;)
Great thread idea!!!

NinjaNurse
12-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I eat out for lunch every day and have found something on the menu or something I can modify at every place. Here is a list of places: Fuddruckers, Pappadeaux's, any Mexican place, Longhorn Steakhouse, Logan's, BBQ joints. My suggestion is to stick with places that have fish and beef or salad bars :)

My husband won 2 $25 dollar GC's to Longhorn Steakhouse at his work Christmas party!!

IdealProteinNewbie
12-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Outback Steakhouse is very accommodating for IP. I have ordered an 8 oz. steak dry-grilled (no oil or butter) along with plain steamed broccoli and had no issues!!!

fitandfabfrog
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Anybody know what to get at Chilis?

IdealProteinNewbie
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM

Dry-grilled steak, steamed broccoli and a salad!

DannaA
03-11-2013, 06:05 PM
I just went to Kelseys the other night and didnt really have any trouble. I asked for my steak dry cooked saying I had a lactose allergy. I got steamed veggies.. with no garlic butter.. my waiter was actually really good at asking.. and also a side caeser salad with just the lettuce. They were really accomodating. Could also be because we have to bring my son his own food cause he is celiac... but i didnt have any trouble. I used my own WF dressing and sea salt on the steak.. it was good.

SFNinerGirl
03-11-2013, 06:29 PM
My life is all about restaurants- I work for The Food Network and have meetings with them everyday. Some of the nicest in the country that start at $250 per plate to great destination restaurants.

And I don't eat at any of them on IP! I just constantly remind myself of how I want to feel in Maui, my upcoming 30th birthday in November, etc.

I feel your pain sister.

ladylunk
03-11-2013, 07:32 PM
My life is all about restaurants- I work for The Food Network and have meetings with them everyday. Some of the nicest in the country that start at $250 per plate to great destination restaurants.

And I don't eat at any of them on IP! I just constantly remind myself of how I want to feel in Maui, my upcoming 30th birthday in November, etc.

I feel your pain sister.

Wow that must be tough. I couldn't do that everyday. Torture. I love good food and trying things. Good for you for sticking to plan.

AnnaBoBanna
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
My two favorite places to eat are Fire and Ice, and Brazilian restaurants. Fire and Ice is a place where you pick your own veggies, meats, sauces and they cook it in front of you on a big Mongolian grill. I also fill up with salad from their big salad bar. I don't even miss the rice or tortillas!

Brazilian restaurant buffets are amazing. We get the rodizio where they bring Skewers of meat to your table. I fill my plate with fresh salad and cooked veggies, then have my meat at the table.

BrittStar027
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
My two favorite places to eat are Fire and Ice, and Brazilian restaurants. Fire and Ice is a place where you pick your own veggies, meats, sauces and they cook it in front of you on a big Mongolian grill. I also fill up with salad from their big salad bar. I don't even miss the rice or tortillas!

Brazilian restaurant buffets are amazing. We get the rodizio where they bring Skewers of meat to your table. I fill my plate with fresh salad and cooked veggies, then have my meat at the table.

I LOVE Fire and Ice! I have eaten their three times since i've been on IP (I was there this Saturday) and it's always delicious and OP. It also helps when you're eating with others because they can have whatever they want too without compromising.

I haven't been to a Brazilian steakhouse in AGES, but that sounds so good! Now i wish i hadn't eaten dinner yet. I'm salivating...

scorbett1103
03-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I found another go-to dish at Applebees - the Zesty Roma Chicken & Shrimp. Just order it without the Roma sauce or cheese, hold the potato and get double veggie - DEEELICIOUS!

fitandfabfrog
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM
what do they grill it in if it isn't "dry" grilled?

leannekarella
03-12-2013, 12:45 AM
We eat out a lot, and since I did Atkins for nearly a year before starting IP, it was only a slight change...

I've found that I can find SOMETHING to eat almost everywhere. The latest foray was going to Old Spaghetti Factory.

Yep, have to agree that "gluten free" just annoys the **** out of me, because I'm asking if they put filler in their meatballs, and the waitress is looking all confused. I ask, "Are the meatballs gluten free?" meaning, did they stuff it full of bread product? No, meatballs at OSF are NOT gluten free, but she so kindly ran off to get me a gluten-free menu...which didn't do me one darn bit of good.

So, I got a large green salad with a "side" of salad shrimp - no dressing.
There are no-at least I've found none-restaurants that have a truly IP friendly salad dressing.

I have a "take in" bag that I keep with me when I leave the house. In it I have my homemade salad dressing, low carb ketchup, low carb bbq sauce, some soy sauce packs (I like it on steamed veggies) some vinegar packs, and mustard, because for some reason in Canada, asking for mustard is close to a sin in some restaurants. (I'm a displaced American, btw)

Anyway....I was pleased with my salad, and added my own dressing.

I will eat A&W, Burger King, and my favorite Carl's Jr. You can order any burger or grilled chicken "low carb" and they USUALLY know what to do... no bun, either a lettuce wrap or served on a plate with the veggies. I also, of course make SURE they are all NO Condiments.

I've eaten at Denny's, a place here called ABC Restaurant (chain), Red Robin (they are very god with low carb options if you ask) Any burger is going to be higher fat content, but it's better than the alternative of falling off the wagon. I order burgers all the veggies minus the bun and condiments. And I've never had any place make a fuss about subbing a salad for the fries. I even attempted a Chinese buffet - though I knew ahead of time what they had - and there were plenty of meat and veggie options not soaked in sauces. I actually lost a pound by the next day. I don't advise any newbies to low carb eating attempt buffets though...it's not easy, and MOST I've been to don't work at all for IP.

It's all doable. I've not found anywhere I absolutely cannot eat, though some restaurants (such as Swiss Chalet here in Canada) are kind of a pain. I wanted no carrots in my steamed veggies, and they said that wasn't possible. It was carrots and broccoli. I asked for no carrots in my green salad also, and got a ton. I just picked them out with and ate around them.

What I do mostly, is let the waitress know I have "special health issues" not being specific, and they usually are really good about working with me. Except, as I said, Swiss Chalet... (Not going back there anytime soon)

kmac1196
03-12-2013, 06:48 AM
Mind if I jump in here? I'm not on IP but my plan is similar (minus the packaged food). I don't eat dairy, sugar, fake sugars, yeast, flour, salt, wheat, gluten.....So some of these rest. are tough for me too. The chain restaurants usually have pre packaged frozen meats that are seasoned with salt (lots of it) and sugary marinade. I always do better at Non chain restaurants. I do like the chinese buffets that have the grill with fresh meats and veggies (add oil or not). You make the plate and they cook.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
what do they grill it in if it isn't "dry" grilled?

They will throw a giant clump of butter on at the end!

AnnaBoBanna
03-13-2013, 08:19 PM
Just got back from longhorn steakhouse and it was great for IP! Lots of steak options, few chicken options, side salads, green beans, asparagus, mixed veggies. Had a delicious meal and topped it off with a hot tea with milk!

Calisto
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM

I have done their Salmon, they do a smart choice one without butter! Husband has gotten the fajitas minus onions and a few other things, just chops up the meat and eats it without shells, asks for no butter.

Desafinado
03-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I've only had one meal out since starting IP and I ordered a salad with dry grilled shrimp. I rarely go to chain restaurants (I'm trying to remember the last time I was at one and can't come up with a thing) but some of these tips are helpful for any restaurant experience, I think.

workingit50
03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
I went to my first restaurant today in 4 weeks since IP. I looked it up beforehand and did not think I could modify the Belgium cuisine. I had an ice tea and kept the conversation active while everyone was eating. It was a bit odd but everyone lived through it. I prefer to not eat out and not travel which we were doing.

Sdr1010
08-25-2013, 02:45 PM
I have always said to the waiter or waitress that I want the combo special "NAKED". That always gets their attention. I fact, my meal always looks better than everyone else's as they have to make everything fresh.
I say that I am on a strict cardiac diet and absolutely nothing should be on the food. The Naked request, always gets their attention.

Art3mis
08-25-2013, 03:36 PM
http://www.dietfacts.com/fastfood.asp

this will show you many places menus online to assist with pre before you go out to eat.

I've not eaten out since my first night on ip more than 61 days ago....i just try to avoid it. Tho i wont be able to avoid it forever....

bluegirl9
08-25-2013, 04:14 PM
I have always said to the waiter or waitress that I want the combo special "NAKED". That always gets their attention. I fact, my meal always looks better than everyone else's as they have to make everything fresh.
I say that I am on a strict cardiac diet and absolutely nothing should be on the food. The Naked request, always gets their attention.

That is a good way to put it! I'll have to remember that next time I eat out.

Thanks for the link Art3mis, that is helpful!

I've had good luck eating out ordering steak, chicken, or salmon. For salad I usually ask for Caesar without the croutons, cheese & dressing (in other words, just romaine lettuce) -- that seems to be the easiest for most restaurants. I ask for olive oil and lemon wedges on the side for dressing. I have learned I have to specify PLAIN olive oil, or else they'll often bring olive oil with balsalmic vinegar added.

lisa32989
08-25-2013, 04:18 PM
After you get used to ordering, eating out becomes simple. We typically eat out 2-3 times per week.
It is much easier when you can plan ahead and make it part of your plan for the day

65X65
08-25-2013, 06:47 PM
We eat out a lot like some others on here, and have found staying away from any chain restaurant is the mosty IP friendly way to go. Many of their food items at chains are "corporate" issue and come frozen..spiced, sauced and not prepared from scratch.

Mom and pop places for breakfast and lunch do an excellent job...and the prices are usually pretty wallet friendly. At dinner we never go to a chain restaurant as we have found the local spots are usually open to customizing your plate ...and to tell the truth...quite used to it! Often making suggestions on what they have in the kitchen that is NOT on the menu. Always should ask...it's amazing how simple it can be to get what you need once the server knows your needs.

lisa32989
08-25-2013, 07:13 PM
We aren't chain visitors either, mostly because we prefer to support small business, rather than corporations. There are SO.MANY locally owned places in our area, there is literally no reason to visit a chain. We may do so when on the road, just because we know what to expect there.

You are right. We find small biz much more accommodating.

2much2do
08-26-2013, 12:54 AM
We eat out a lot. Here are a few of my experiences at restaurants here in Utah:

Rumbi - order the rice bowl with no rice, double veggies (steam the veggies instead of coating them in teriyaki sauce) and no sauce. I use soy sauce, but you can also do the Walden Farms ginger dressing if you wanted to bring it with you. Sadly, all of the salads require major surgery to get something OP. I haven't bothered.

Smashburger - either the Smash chicken or Smash burger can be ordered with lettuce instead of a bun. Order the side salad without dressing and use a Walden Farms dressing packet from your purse. Totally OP.

Which Wich - they will do any of their hoagie sandwiches as a lettuce-wich. They are the same size as the hoagie and you don't miss the bread. I order mine with turkey, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, mustard and olive oil. I wish they had a vinegar that is OP, but they don't. I would seriously buy vinegar packets if I could find them.

Dickies - pretty tough here, but I order the smoked turkey with a side of ceasar salad to which I add my own dressing. The only other side dish that is remotely OP is the green beans, but you have to pick out the bacon if you do that. I don't recommend this place for Phase I, but if you have to go, the smoked turkey really is amazing.

Wendy's - the chef's salad works great as long as you have them hold the cheese and croutons.

Zupas - you can't order anything off the menu without major alterations. You have to do the make-your-own salad option. But there are plenty of great salad toppings here. I don't know about the soups. I'd love to find one that works, but I haven't dared try them.

Firehouse Subs - Their Chief's Salad is a great option provided you hold the cheese. Big chunky vegetables and lots of lettuce. They do offer a fat free dressing, but it has 12 grams of carbs, so I stick to my Walden Farms packets here.

Cafe Rio - Order either the salad minus the flour tortilla or the tostada. Double the chicken and pico, hold the cheese and tortilla strips.

Jason's Deli - they have a fabulous salad bar. I still bring my own dressing, but they have a great range of toppings.

SweetScrumptious
08-26-2013, 01:29 AM
I had my first restaurant experience a week ago and I think I did a pretty good job!

Everyone wanted to go to this Rib/Crabshack.

I ended up getting the house salad (that was just lettuce, tomato, and cucumber). Asked for double veggies on the salad. Also asked for no dressing but got about 6 lemon wedges instead (they were generous - only asked for some wedges). And I got 3 snow crab legs - cracked em open and shredded them on top of the plain salad and sprinkled everything with lemon juice!

I also brought a IP bar with me so I counted that meal as a lunch (as I think the 3 crab legs were probably a minimal amount of meat so I figured that they didn't really count as anything - just ate slightly less than 8oz of meat at supper time that night).

For drinks, I got a lemon water and a plain black tea.

trishthayer
08-26-2013, 08:20 AM
The 99 has a 6oz steak you can get plain and steamed broccoli double order plain also. Since I have started IP been to the 99 a couple of times, very helpful and a good steak!

MsKitty
09-11-2013, 07:29 PM
My son wanted to go to Chili's between his dr. appointments. I was dreading it. However, ate the salmon and steamed broccoli. it was excellent.

Last Hurrah
02-06-2014, 12:41 AM
My son wanted to go to Chili's between his dr. appointments. I was dreading it. However, ate the salmon and steamed broccoli. it was excellent.

I live around the corner from Chili's and have been want to take a break from cooking. Looks like Chili's salmon and broccoli are in my future.:D

ColoradoCarol
02-06-2014, 10:06 AM
I live around the corner from Chili's and have been want to take a break from cooking. Looks like Chili's salmon and broccoli are in my future.:D

Chilis works well I think. I have their 6 oz sirloin that is on the Light menu (or what every they call it), broccoli and have a salad (I generally have a packet of WF dressing in my purse).

We also have a small chain here in Colorado called Mad Greens. It is a salad place that makes all the salads right in front of you. You can alter one of the "signature salads" or they have a build your own and you can tell them what to put on it. Once again I have my WF dressing.

I think you can usually do okay at a steak restaurant too. I haven't tried Red Lobster yet.

You just have to be careful.

schenectady
02-06-2014, 10:33 AM
We eat out a lot, both because of business and because our house being on the market, need to keep it clean and smelling nice.

So I have gotten my routine down. I am very direct and gentle with the waiter and explain that I need my meat 'naked', no butter, no oil, no sauce. I ask for the veggies the same way - steamed. If potatoes are offered, as they often are, with the entrée, I ask for double veggies instead. Since there is not a huge serving of veggies offered, doubling it does not go over the 2 cups.

Sometimes I will get a sweetheart of a waiter who will actually be in on the whole thing, asking if there are certain vegetables I prefer, etc. They get a god tip for that sort of cooperation. We also tend to repeat our visits.

Applebee's has good menus for under 550 but you still have to edit how they are cooked and remove the potatoes.

dak1lls
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM
I love Mongolian stir fry restaurants. You can pick your protein and veggies and any sauces. Many have ingredients listed but I usually go with soy sauce, garlic broth and ginger.

stubbornostrich
02-06-2014, 11:43 AM
I am venturing out to Applebee's on Sunday for lunch. Taking another newbie IP'r from work and Tigerlvr52 is going to show us how to order in a restaurant and stay on plan. I don't eat out often but am excited to see first hand how to work the menu to stay on goal.

schenectady
02-06-2014, 01:56 PM
I am venturing out to Applebee's on Sunday for lunch. Taking another newbie IP'r from work and Tigerlvr52 is going to show us how to order in a restaurant and stay on plan. I don't eat out often but am excited to see first hand how to work the menu to stay on goal.

I eat there often and almost always ordered their Under 550 calorie salmon meal. It is supposed to be served on a bed of potatoes and vegetables, so I ask to trade the potatoes for double veggies, no or butter. The salmon comes with a sauce so I ask them to omit it. I have never had a problem with it coming exactly as I ask.

Portions are small, too, but if the salmon has a really nice char on it, I am in heaven.

MareDog37
02-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Learned a valuable lesson last weekend at a new restaurant we tried (Dick's Last Resort) - when they say mixed veggies, ask what, specifically, they mean. I thought I did great, ordering grilled chicken and subbing double veggies for the rice side. But then my order came out - their mixed veggies was corn with diced red peppers. With a double order of that, I'm pretty sure I had the equivalent of a full can of corn on my plate! Ate the chicken and my (plain) Ceaser salad and chalked one up to experience.

dchild8989
02-07-2014, 02:03 PM
I love the Cafe Osage

4605 Olive St
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Central West End

Farm to Table Foods...

JLUS
02-07-2014, 05:56 PM
I have definitely been burned on veggies and have learned to ask what they are.

I now look at all the various entrees to see what veggies they offer them and then request the specific ones I want no matter what meal I am ordering. This has always worked!

lisa32989
02-07-2014, 07:14 PM
I love the Cafe Osage

4605 Olive St
Saint Louis, MO 63108
Central West End

Farm to Table Foods...

Sounds yummy after P1
Thanks for posting. I've never been there

stephascope
02-07-2014, 09:30 PM
So went to Applebees and it was a bit of a bust. Ordered some Portobello mushroom chicken entrée with no sauce/cheese/potatoes/butter. It came cooked properly but had very little veg so I asked for more veg and the waitress brought me carrots/broccoli/zucchini with a clear, salty, gelatinous substance on it. She said it was "LBA - light butter alternative". I said can I please have some steamed veggies with nothing on them? She then brought out the exact same veggies with the same stuff on them, just piping hot. FML. I guess I'll be sticking to the more expensive Keg steakhouse ><.

65X65
02-07-2014, 10:03 PM
So went to Applebees and it was a bit of a bust. Ordered some Portobello mushroom chicken entrée with no sauce/cheese/potatoes/butter. It came cooked properly but had very little veg so I asked for more veg and the waitress brought me carrots/broccoli/zucchini with a clear, salty, gelatinous substance on it. She said it was "LBA - light butter alternative". I said can I please have some steamed veggies with nothing on them? She then brought out the exact same veggies with the same stuff on them, just piping hot. FML. I guess I'll be sticking to the more expensive Keg steakhouse ><.
More and more of the chains have pre-prepared VERY processed entrees that are frozen and microwaved on site. If you get a vote in where to eat out... I'd avoid most of them (except for the steak places). Small non-chain restaurants usually work out MUCH better in my experience. Esp many of the mom and pop places that boast short order cooks. (We should support those small businesses whenever we can anyway! They are usually local owners!!)

stephascope
02-07-2014, 10:12 PM
:moo::moo:More and more of the chains have pre-prepared VERY processed entrees that are frozen and microwaved on site. If you get a vote in where to eat out... I'd avoid most of them (except for the steak places). Small non-chain restaurants usually work out MUCH better in my experience. Esp many of the mom and pop places that boast short order cooks. (We should support those small businesses whenever we can anyway! They are usually local owners!!)

I fully agree 65x65. Normally we don't eat at chain restaurants but decided tonight to try Applebees as a lot of folks on this forum have been had success ordering OP stuff. Most of the small business restaurants we go to are ethnic and not IP compatible (Indian, Japanese, Vietnamese, Moroccan etc). I will definitely stick to the places where I can get a nice cut of Alberta beef! :moo:

trinny
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Any strategies for Bertuccis? MIL wants to meet there for lunch next weekend.

I checked out their online menu and was surprised by the nutrition info on some of the items. For instance, their plain small salad (no dressing but with romano cheese that of course I'd ask them to leave off) has 21 carbs. Can that be right?

Their roasted eggplant pomodoro (says eggplant layered with sauce and finished with provolone) has 1050 calories and 113 carbs!! Yikes. If I hadn't looked at the nutrition info, I would have thought that was a pretty good choice (but with no cheese).

Their appetizer of tuscan roasted veggies sounds pretty good for 320 calories and 16 carbs. Has anyone had that before. Were there enough veggies to count for the two cups?

Thanks!

65X65
02-10-2014, 09:54 AM
Any strategies for Bertuccis? MIL wants to meet there for lunch next weekend.

I checked out their online menu and was surprised by the nutrition info on some of the items. For instance, their plain small salad (no dressing but with romano cheese that of course I'd ask them to leave off) has 21 carbs. Can that be right?

Their roasted eggplant pomodoro (says eggplant layered with sauce and finished with provolone) has 1050 calories and 113 carbs!! Yikes. If I hadn't looked at the nutrition info, I would have thought that was a pretty good choice (but with no cheese).

Their appetizer of tuscan roasted veggies sounds pretty good for 320 calories and 16 carbs. Has anyone had that before. Were there enough veggies to count for the two cups?

Thanks!
Does she know you are watching what you eat? She does not need to know more than you want to share...but if she doesn't know, will you let her in on that much? Then you can tell her part of what you are doing to " watch" ..is plan appropriately and in checking their menu...it doesn't look very weight friendly for you at this time. Other idea is to run an end pass and call the restaurant yourself TODAY and ask if they can do a grilled chicken caesar salad for lunch and can it be done with or without notice. No croutons, no cheese... And you can ask for lemon wedges and olive oil..or bring some of your own. Or tell them you need a lo carb option..what can they suggest...?? They may have a menu that is not published. If the answer is nothing...thank them and let them know "for the record" if they have nothing you can eat, it's too bad, because you eat out with groups often have the ability to direct where the group you dine with chooses.

If MIL is aware you are watching, and chose this with out checking with you or insists anyway...you have some passive aggressive relationship things going on here..it's more complicated than a diet problem! You will have to chose depending on your relationship with her, how to approach it. I'd suggest another place close in the vicinity and same price range...or less.

Also, ask yourself:
Was this diet your idea or someone else's?
Not many people would go on a diet because someone else wanted you to do it.

If you go off plan..it should never be because of someone else either....that 's a cop out.

Likely you will need to face this multiple times before..and even after you hit goal. Time to start planning and strategizing...suggesting a place that has a few more salad options doesn't seem like it should present a problem. If it does....you need to do some soul searching. Many stay away from social situations they can't or are afraid they won't be strong enough to handle early on. That's not practical, and goes away as you get more comfortable and are feeling successful and confident. Maintenance is just how you handle each day going forward. And to be successful..that doesn't go away.

trinny
02-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Wow, 65x65, thank you for such a thoughtful and comprehensive response!

To clarify, MIL is great and not passive aggressive at all. She recently had success on WW herself and would be incredibly supportive of any suggestion I made for a restaurant. I haven't told her the details of IP because I know how extreme it sounds to people who have had success with the "all things in moderation" mantra so I just don't want to leave it open for discussion at all.

MIL suggested Bertuccis because she knows that my kids will enjoy the meal there. We went to lunch there previously (a different location) and the kids had a nice time in a relaxed setting. There's a reasonably-priced lunch menu that has lots of options (pizza/pasta for kids, soup/salad/sandwiches for adults), so I think she was trying to be thoughtful and come up with something she expected we'd all enjoy. And normally she'd be right on the money with this choice.

I could definitely suggest another restaurant, and she'd be very open to it. The problem is that we're meeting her at a museum that is closer to her home than ours (couple hours away). Not sure what else is in the area so I think it's easiest to just go with her suggestion.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather just find a way to make this menu work with the plan. At this point, I'm thinking of the roasted veggies with either an RTD shake that I bring with me or I'll ask for a double order of the shrimp they add to salads (so 8 oz) and that can serve as my natural protein for the day.

And I'm on this plan 100% by my own choice and I'm very committed to making it work. I'm not suggesting MIL is trying to sabotage me at all! For the first time, I'm finding myself strong enough to fight all kinds of temptations. This weekend I sipped black coffee while my DD enjoyed a doughnut after church. That would have been nearly impossible for me before.

65X65
02-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Wow, 65x65, thank you for such a thoughtful and comprehensive response!

To clarify, MIL is great and not passive aggressive at all. She recently had success on WW herself and would be incredibly supportive of any suggestion I made for a restaurant. I haven't told her the details of IP because I know how extreme it sounds to people who have had success with the "all things in moderation" mantra so I just don't want to leave it open for discussion at all.

MIL suggested Bertuccis because she knows that my kids will enjoy the meal there. We went to lunch there previously (a different location) and the kids had a nice time in a relaxed setting. There's a reasonably-priced lunch menu that has lots of options (pizza/pasta for kids, soup/salad/sandwiches for adults), so I think she was trying to be thoughtful and come up with something she expected we'd all enjoy. And normally she'd be right on the money with this choice.

I could definitely suggest another restaurant, and she'd be very open to it. The problem is that we're meeting her at a museum that is closer to her home than ours (couple hours away). Not sure what else is in the area so I think it's easiest to just go with her suggestion.

To be perfectly honest, I'd rather just find a way to make this menu work with the plan. At this point, I'm thinking of the roasted veggies with either an RTD shake that I bring with me or I'll ask for a double order of the shrimp they add to salads (so 8 oz) and that can serve as my natural protein for the day.

And I'm on this plan 100% by my own choice and I'm very committed to making it work. I'm not suggesting MIL is trying to sabotage me at all! For the first time, I'm finding myself strong enough to fight all kinds of temptations. This weekend I sipped black coffee while my DD enjoyed a doughnut after church. That would have been nearly impossible for me before.
GOOD FOR YOU!! I'm so glad to read this...

Our anniversary is Valentines day...last year...we just did a seafood IP compliant dinner...and I skipped the champagne! First real test of the diet..and the first time in 40+ years I did not have an adult beverage to celebrate. It was actually easier than I thought...and all I did was plan ahead and stuck to my salads and protein. This is a busy month for us..husbands B-day, daughter's B-day ... SIL and 2 granddaughters also have B-days... all in a 2 week time frame.. Last year..I had NOT told my spouse the details of what I was doing..just that I was watching and did not want to be in a situation where it would be hard to stay on track. There will always be something...as many others have posted, and it is easy to talk yourself over the edge.

My advice..is to stay the course. How long have you been on this?? ...Holidays, birthdays, celebrations of all kinds...just plan how you'll do it. You won't be sorry. You may be if you allow other events to dictate your resolve thou'. Some look for forgiveness on this forum...you will find a few who do...but they really don't matter...This is all about you.

There will always be something.. and most of these events are repeat calendar affairs!! Next year will be so much easier..and you'll find maintenance will be easier if you just start to manage yourself. I'd call the restaurant. The veggies must be starchy ones...to be that high in calories...or they have some sugar or flour dredging...that is way high. Same with the salad..probably full of nuts and dried fruit...or not great veggies for a dieter. You probably know what the nutritional makeup of an IP compliant salad should read...300+ calories...with no meat?? Something not right at all....

Actually, I would be surprised if they could NOT do a plain grilled Cesar salad...very surprised! Good luck...

65X65
02-10-2014, 10:35 AM
TRINNY:
Check their Gluten Free menu...they DO have a small salad...150 cal...veggies look right...eliminate the olives and the cheese and you lose a few calories........might have to pick around a few other ingredients......and you can add grilled chicken.....shrimp or salmon....

Insalata

Mixed leaf lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions and black olives topped with Romano cheese.

Small $4.99
Large $6.99
Add Grilled Chicken $3.00
Add Grilled Shrimp (4) $4.00
Add Grilled Salmon* (5 oz) $5.00

Nutrition (http://www.bertuccis.com/#)
Brick Oven Favorite

Serving Size 1 Serving (sm. without dressing)
Calories 150
Fat (g) 6
Saturated Fat (g) 2.5
Protein (g) 7
Carbohydrates (g) 21
Fiber (mg) 5
Sodium (mg) 320

trinny
02-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Thanks again, 65x65. I had seen that salad but the 21 carbs looked high to me. Might have all been from the cheese, though.

Yes, that seems like the best route to take. Thanks for taking the time to review the menu. This board is immensely supportive and has been a huge help to me already.

IdealProteinNewbie
02-10-2014, 07:33 PM
trinny: 65 provided great advice. For the future, those carbs are naturally occurring from the veggies in the salad, not the cheese.

Good luck with your choice, plan ahead...you'll do great!

Ashayne
06-06-2014, 09:55 PM
There's a restaurant in the Midwest that I go to quite a bit now that I'm on IP called Whiskey Creek, which is a steakhouse. They are super accommodating to this diet (their steaks aren't cooked in any butter or oil, only steak seasoning) and any sides or entrees don't require much altering to make them IP friendly.

Also, Hu Hots Mongolian Grill is an excellent option, where you can pick all your own meats and veggies. Except you just can't get the crab since it's imitation crab meat, which I don't think is allowed in P1.