Old 12-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #1  

Default New here, 21, 5'4 239.4lbs.

I may be getting the lap band surgery soon, does anyone have any experience or know anyone that has? How did it turn out? I'm at my worst weight ever, the person on the inside of me doesn't match my outside and I just want to be confident again. I have serious issues with my self image and my boyfriend is probably starting to really see it. It's hard on our relationship when he can tell I'm being weird about my body. He's very supportive, but sometimes his supports turns into him being a little too hard on me to keep me motivated and then I just end up giving up all together. I ask for his help and then hate him for it......am I the only one?
erintaylor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:42 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Hi welcome!
There is a sub forum here for people considering surgery, they might have some insight for you.

Good luck on your journey!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #3  

Oooooh lordy! Just kidding, I went to a seminar tonight to learn about it, maybe it's not for me! :-/

Instead I'm probably going to look back into WW!
erintaylor53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/130

Height: 5'4"

i think that if you try to lose weight the healthy way, you're more likely to stick with it than with surgery anyways... good luck!

an welcome
KawaiiCandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #5  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Hi Erin,

With regard to your boyfriend's attitude, perhaps he is trying so hard to motivate you because he knows losing weight is the only way you will be happier with yourself. I mean, if you are feeling insecure about him encouraging you because you think it is because he doesn't like you being overweight then I would urge you to reconsider. He probably desperately wants you to achieve your goals so he is supporting you and being 'cruel to be kind'. Also, being blunt and talking to him is a good approach if you are feeling resentful. Tell him you feel resentful and ask him why he acts like he does.

I have no experience of weight loss surgery but my mother was considering it and she decided against it because of all the loose skin you will almost DEFINITELY get from lap bands. It is expensive to remove loose skin and you are left with massive long red scars from it I also saw a weight loss documentary in which some people got weight loss surgery and they almost unanimously said that although they had lost weight, they still had their old issues that had made them overeat and that they still didn't have a healthy attitude. What Kawaii said is true, it is better to lose weight through diet and exercise even though it is tough and slow to do. You will develop a healthy attitude to life that way and that is what you should be aiming for, it isn't just about what weight you are.
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #6  
1500 Max!

S/C/G: 172/ticker/119

Height: 5'6"

Also, in the end, my mother lost five stone just from eating healthier and exercising and she has maintained it for two years! So there's a success story right there! It takes about a year to lose four or five stone healthily but it will transform you. It isn't like you will look exactly the same until you hit your goal. You will transform after every stone so that is something to keep in mind. I have only lost a stone in three months but I am getting so many compliments and I must admit, I look much better now. Go for your goal!
LucyOlivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7  
Underdog to Beastmode

S/C/G: 231/192.8/125

Height: 5'3"

My mom had lap band surgery and now weighs more than she did before the lap band. It's not an instant fix by any means. I'm glad you have found a less invasive way to lose weight. Best of luck to you. :-)
namaste984 is offline   Reply With Quote