Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:02 AM   #1  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Default Time to get a new scale?

I have had my digital scale for almost 4 years, and I am wondering when it would be time to get a new one. I feel like it still works properly, when I weigh in I always do it 3 different times to make sure I get a consistent number. Is there any way to find out for sure that the numbers are correct, and how often do you buy a new scale?

The next one I buy I would like to get a glass scale, I have heard a lot of good about those. Thank you in advance!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 AM   #2  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Do you have any reason to think your scale isn't accurate? I would think the best way to test it is with a known weight, like a kettle bell, or weight lifting weights. Maybe even an unopened bag of sugar, pet food or whatever. They are probably fairly accurate with weight.

If you have a small dog or cat that you got his/her weight at the vet recently, that could work. If you see your doctor, weigh yourself at home before you leave, and then see what you weigh there. Or at the gym, if you go to the gym. They calibrate their scales regularly, I assume. If it's close, then you're fine.

If you'd really like a new scale, then the sooner the better. It sucks to get a new scale and find your scale was off several pounds in the wrong direction!

Mine is Taylor brand, glass digital and the one thing I like about this particular model is it turns on when you stand on it. I have another one where I have to tap it with my foot to turn it on before I can stand on it. The only thing I don't like about this scale is that it measures in 0.2 pounds. I wish it measured in 0.1 increments. As if it would make any difference!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #3  
*Embrace Power*

S/C/G: 332/279.8/195

Height: 5'5

Thank you for that idea about weighing something other than myself on there to check the accuracy! I used my 7lb dumbbells to check the scale, it would not weigh one of the weights, so I put both on there and they weighed in at 14.8 lbs, so I it is fairly accurate within .8 of a pound!

My only reason for thinking it could be off is because I bought it a few years ago. It was the first scale I had ever bought, since weight was not a huge issue before then, and I wasn't sure how long they last and if scales were supposed to be replaced regularly. Guess I will keep using it for now, but eventually I want to treat myself to a nice glass scale, similar to the one you have described that you have!

My scale also weighs in .2 lb incriments, having a .1 lb incriment scale would be pretty cool though. Thank you again!!
Pink Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:16 PM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Hurricane View Post
Thank you for that idea about weighing something other than myself on there to check the accuracy! ...... want to treat myself to a nice glass scale, similar to the one you have described that you have!
You're welcome!!

As for buying a new scale, there's no time like the present! It just means you can take your time shopping and picking out the perfect scale. Plus, you know there's going to be some great sales next month!

I have two scales, one upstairs and one downstairs. That way, if I forget to weight myself upstairs and because I'm lazy that way, I can just weigh myself downstairs. I'm a daily weigh-er, so this is very handy!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:35 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 289/271/189

Height: 5'8"

There are all kinds of great scales out there....I've been thinking about getting a new one also....due to the fact that to use mine and have it be the most accurate, you are suppose to use it after the shower....it does not wiegh correctly if the bottoms of your feet are not damp....something to do with mosture being a conductor or some weird thing like that. Of course when I bought the scale it said nothing about this on the box....did not find out about it until after I read the book inside. Make sure with any scale you buy, keep the box and all paperwork and receipt until you find out if you like it or not...if not then you can take it back and try something different.
Dogpaws4ever is offline   Reply With Quote