General Diet Plans and Questions - J.J.Virgin Diet

View Full Version : J.J.Virgin Diet

devadiva
12-17-2012, 10:41 PM
Is anyone out there doing the virgin diet? Just wondering think I may give it a whirl after X mas.Seems like a good time. deals with a lot of eliminations in the diet...seems like a can do!

classykaren
12-18-2012, 10:21 AM
Hello I just did some research on this I think I am going on the plan. Was just on web site interesting.:):carrot:

Terri S
12-19-2012, 04:52 PM
I bought the book and have followed her blog. I like her approach to finding permanent weight loss and to just have a healthier body. Like anything else, you get out of this what you put into it. This isn't so much a diet as it is changing your diet. Once you cut out the processed crap, you feel better and your body starts to respond. I am going to start the 3 week removal of the seven foods in January. This isn't a magic pill, you still have to do the work.

devadiva
12-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Iam the one that started the post though I have not started yet.....Too many out of town being someone's COMPAnY this week will start next week. Though as stated by another I am not for a change doing the pig out thing first.
That being said if anyone had read her it is not ALLERGIES it is an intolerance to foods. And her idea is to take the key culprits away ..see how it goes for at least 3weeks.And add them back to see if you have problems.
By now most off us know what we should be eating to lose weight and the amount of calories.. And how to exercise enough.....I feel this book is for those
of us that DO all those things and have trouble losing weight.
I am one of those,I am quite interested in trying this truly it is not much different than how I eat normally but NIX all glue ten,and artificial sweeteners.
And as stated earlier "you get what you put in" or as Virgin would say leave out.

nelie
12-21-2012, 01:24 PM
Let us know how it goes. I haven't really seen any science to back up the intolerances that seem to be key to many of the newer diets, it seems to be pseudoscience but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight. A lot of high calorie foods contain gluten, dairy, sugar and what not so it helps you cut calories in that way.

If you are a calorie counter, I'd say keep counting calories to compare how many calories you are eating now vs after. And overall, if you feel better and it helps you lose weight then that is a good thing.

I also advise those that follow her blog, read her book, etc, to not use her as a primary resource. Check your facts because based on her blog, I see quite a bit of false information.

pattygirl63
12-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Bought the book today. Not sure what I will do with the info since I'm not looking for a new diet. Just like learning new things.

Suzanne 3FC
12-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I haven't read the book, but I think it sounds pretty gimmicky. I'm all for eating clean, especially eating organic foods and cutting out junk food. I'm not sure the elimination diet has as much of an effect on weight loss as the fact that those who follow this are being presented with a gimmick that causes them to pay more attention to what they eat, and end up eating less. That's how most gimmicky diets work, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm bothered by the amount of expensive supplements that are sold on her website. If you buy the protein powder and basic vitamin supplements suggested, you'll pay $170 a month for something you can pay much, much less elsewhere. Then you still have to buy all of your food. Honestly, if you eat a balanced diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins, then you don't need anything else. :shrug:

nelie
12-22-2012, 04:27 PM
This thread has been majorly pruned because apparently JJ Virgin was prompting people (who aren't 3FC members) to sign up and post in this thread. Perhaps JJ and her followers don't understand the purpose of 3FC. We aren't a diet review site, we aren't a site for post and run. The purpose of the 3FC community is to support people within this community.

We also do welcome new members but what we don't want this thread to devolve into is what apparently occurred where people signed up just to post in this thread. If you are a new member and want to join the community, please let us know but if you have no plans to join the community, feel free to continue to use whatever support resources you are using currently.

pattygirl63
12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
I stated earlier that I bought the book. I haven't read much yet, but the basic thing I got out of it that I like is the idea of eliminating certain groups of foods for 21 days and then begin adding them back into your way of eating 1 at a time to see if you have any intolerance reactions. If not keep that food in your food plan and then add one of the others etc until you find out which of the food/s your body doesn't tolerate. Ex, I have already given up one of the foods such as peanuts months ago because I always had a sinus allergy reaction when I ate them. I don't think there's anything wrong with following the plan to learn such things as it just might be helpful to some people. It just has to do with whether you want to do it or even need to. My Daddy has a lot of allergies and because of things his doc told him he says he knows he probably is allergic to dairy products, but he isn't willing to give it up. So the book would do him no good. Also I'm not sure everyone would have to follow the diet book to learn such things. As I said I learned about the peanuts on my own.

I believe I will do the 21 day elimination and start adding back certain foods because I already suspect my body doesn't tolerate one or 2 of the other food groups she mentions. I saw where someone is starting this on Dec 26th so I'll do it with you. I actually believe it will be very helpful to me. JMHO

Nelie Thanks for pruning the thread. I've been a member of 3fc for a many years. I only trust the things I read by those I have learned are regulars on here for many years as well. I am so grateful for 3fc and all I learn here... whether I agree with all or not. I enjoy the support we are able to get and give on this website.

pattygirl63
12-22-2012, 07:57 PM
Let us know how it goes. I haven't really seen any science to back up the intolerances that seem to be key to many of the newer diets, it seems to be pseudoscience but that doesn't mean you won't lose weight. A lot of high calorie foods contain gluten, dairy, sugar and what not so it helps you cut calories in that way.

If you are a calorie counter, I'd say keep counting calories to compare how many calories you are eating now vs after. And overall, if you feel better and it helps you lose weight then that is a good thing.

I also advise those that follow her blog, read her book, etc, to not use her as a primary resource. Check your facts because based on her blog, I see quite a bit of false information.

I agree with you Nelie on everything you said. I know enough about diets that you can't take EVERY WORD WRITTEN IN A BOOK as "GOSPEL TRUTH". Most things are from a persons experience and/or based on their opinions. I've have finally learned over the years that most people who are successful at losing and keeping the weight off have taken a diet and then customized it to fit their woe to make it work for them. I hope to be one of those people myself.

devadiva
12-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I started this post and am a little P.O. That my simple question was turned into such a negative thread.As you can see I have been a member for several years and am disappointed that YOU have decided for everyone this doesn't work.And who says what and delete them .......HOW would anyone from VIrgins site even know I posted???? You sound paranoid!
Also you DO NOT have to drink the shakes or take the supplements.As stated you can do all that by eating right.
I don't think it's the weight loss miracle or anything close. I just felt for me things like gluten do cause me some issues...experimenting without it for 3 weeks is a good thing for me.

pattygirl63
12-24-2012, 01:21 AM
devadiva I'm reading the book and so much of it makes sense to me. I planned to start it Dec 26 but may have to weight until next week end to get into it full swing. I'm cutting out some things now kind of easing into it. I had a book on Candida years ago and from what I remember about that book it recommended some of the things she does. I looked for my Candids book tonight but guess I lost it. It had some wonderful recipes for fresh kraut I learned to make back when I had Candida that I absolutely loved that is supposed to help with digestive track and candida.

I already know by process of eliminatation on my own over the years which things my body doesn't tolerate wheat and some dairy. I worked with a friend once who owned a health food store and so much of what he told me she also tells in her book. So I'm going with it.

My DH has a lot of health problems that I think are caused by inflamation. I've already started some of her suggestions for both of us. I personally appreciate you starting this thread or I never would have bought the book. So thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Oh, good luck on your journey with it.

nelie
12-24-2012, 08:20 AM
I wrote Devadiva separately but just wanted to say every diet 'works'. My personal, non-mod opinion is that many diets out there try to sound scientific but often they use flaky research or misinterpret it. The blood type diet is one of those diets based on faulty research but or some people, it works, not because of the so-called science but because of the calorie reduction.

That is why I think you should also look into yourself if you are interested in the science aspects. If you don't care about the science and want to lose weight, I'm sure cutting out gluten, sugar, peanuts, and dairy will result in weight loss for the majority of people. Also, it appears that you are possibly low carbing during the first phase of the diet? That can also result in a dramatic water and glycogen weight loss for most people.

I'm currently reading an exercise book which talks about how 30-40 years ago, you really had to work at it to be obese. Our change in obesity levels is fairly recent. The answer may lie in a few places including food. Everything from bread to meat has been made easier to chew making it easier to get more calories in. It seems our food supply is not working for us but rather against us. Then there is the fact that our activity levels have dropped dramatically in the last 30-40 years.

Anyway, as long as you are getting enough calories and nutrients, I'm not personally against any diet. It is hard to lose and maintain weight loss so I wish you guys luck.

pattygirl63
12-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I was going to start the diet itself next week end, but I don't believe that I will have to. I believe I can take some ideas from it and modify my low carb woe and make it better.

Nelie My doctor told me that it has proven scientifically that any diet wil work. He said the key is finding the one that you can live with. So you are correct about any diet will work. I think it is wonderful when a person can either find a diet that works for them or that they can modify to make it work for them. I read a book once that was a collection of successful dieters and how they had learned to lose weight and keep it off. They had to have maintained or kept their weight off for at least 3 yrs. Doing what my doctor said and modifying basic diets was how they had become successful.

I hope Devadiva doesn't get discouraged and stop doing what she has learned is working for her.

devadiva
12-25-2012, 10:01 AM
I was not discouraged BY what I decided to do,it was how this matter was handled by the site.
I believe ANYTHING works if you work it.......my whole point was..when I am fiollowing the program I do best with I already do ALL the things suggested except gluten free ( it was mostly )and eggless,So in reality it does work for me,I know my body.. I am 60, and had kept a 44lb weight loss for 2 1/2 years ,my recent gain was due to not following what I had been doing and eating bread .

pattygirl63
12-25-2012, 10:02 PM
Devadiva I don't plan to go with it 100% because I already know that eggs don't hurt me and I know that some dairy does and some don't. I've kind of learned a lot of this stuff on my own, but the book kind of confirms and explains why some foods cause me trouble that are supposed to be so healthy. When I was diagnosed diabetic T2, I tested after a lot of foods and my doc and I were amazed that (for example) that regular oatmeal caused my blood sugar to skyrocket. It is supposed to be great for you, but as my doc said "The numbers don't lie". Learned from my step-brother that it was best thing a diabetic could do especially in the beginning is to test and learn which foods you could and could not eat by testing after eating your foods rather than trust what a diet/diet book says you can and cannot eat.

I'm glad you didn't get discouraged. Personally I believe it is my right/duty in doing what works for me. MY HEALTH DEPENDS ON IT. I'm 69 and I have to look at things differently than I did when I was younger. JMHO

devadiva
12-25-2012, 10:51 PM
Thanks Patty : I agree I was begining to feel I did not fit the cookie cuttter...I pick and choose what works and thats how I learn..part of my weight gain was due to negative people........Tying to purge them along with the other things that don't work!!!!!

classykaren
12-26-2012, 02:12 AM
I am glad to see that you are still here with us devadiva. I dont like a lot of vegetables, can't afford organic but I am going to try this anyway. Giving up bread and sugar will help me. I am still reading the book

pattygirl63
12-26-2012, 01:19 PM
I was never overweight until I started eating "healthy" as they call it and eating the way Everybody said you "have to eat" to be healthy. Now I'm learning eat the way that works for "my" body. If it doesn't fit someone else idea... tuff because their way doesn't work for me.

I actually didn't eat that far off yesterday and am back into full swing of my plan today.

Have a great day.

capricious
12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Hello all. I've been a regular on 3fc in the ideal protein thread. That diet worked wonderfully for losing weight quickly and I maintained very well for 8 months before I started adding in. Then summer rolled around and I got caught up in being carefree.. Which of course is death to a diet ;)
I had a few negative side effects such as hair loss and brain fog. But the worst has been a vitamin/ mineral deficiency that comes on in the form of extreme muscle cramping in my legs. After being pretty much laughed out of my western dr.'s office when I inquired as to whether it could be tied to my diet I decided to consult a naturopath as they believe a bit more firmly in the effects of diet on physiological function. The elimination diet was proposed by the naturopath or in lieu I could do a blood test that would check my IgG levels in response to certain foods. IgG is purported to example food intolerances although his test is a very gray area that is much debated. Anyway. Came back that I'm intolerant to wheat, dairy, eggs, gluten. And my candida levels were high enough to warrant concern meaning that sugars should also be watched. I was looking through the book store for recipes to accommodate...and came across the Virgin diet book. Which encapsulated my intolerances and provided a plan. I do better with a plan... Otherwise it gets overwhelming.
Inflammation is not something which is seen as it is taking place on the inside. In all honesty I love eggs. Have always considered them a super food. They are portable, filling, tasty and nutritious. They are also the thing I had the highest reaction to. I would never have thought this.
In regards to expense...
Vega protein powder is easily obtainable from most grocery stores and health food providers. It really isn't much more costly than whey or soy protein and it isn't packed full of additives.
While I do need to lose the excess weight I've put since faltering a bit in maintenance my higher concern is my health. I am 32 and I do not want to be facing a slew of health concerns later in life because I've ignored advice at this point.
Many cancers and auto immune diseases are associated with the digestive tract. If it is constantly being put under stress from unknown inflammatories this comes at a price over the years.
So Devadiva I'm with you...
There is much to be said for discovering irritants to the system and eliminating them.
I planned my daily intake like this:
Breakfast:
1 scoop vega powder mix
1 cup spinach
1 T Chia seeds

Morning snack:
17 almonds ( or a 100 cal pack)
1 apple

Lunch:
Same as breakfast
1-2 C Starchy veg
Salad

Afternoon snack:
Banana
1 T almond butter

Supper:
6oz - 8oz lean protein
1 starch (either from a higher carb veg such as sweet potato/ winter squash or 1/2 C brown rice)
1-2 C veggies

Evening snack:
Either another shake or almond butter & apple.

Of course I'll try to ensure I'm getting my 8 glasses of water in with at least 2 of them with lemon juice. I'm counting 'points' as well to try and keep it in the realm of weight loss. I think in maintenance I'll add in extra nuts/ starches as needed.

Terri S
01-02-2013, 09:00 PM
I have a corn allergy and a milk intolerance, so the three week "detox" appealed to me. I believe you have to find what works for your body and that can be a mix of things.

devadiva
01-05-2013, 05:18 PM
Seems to be working for me so far...imagine that!!!

AussieMags
02-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Day 2 for me. I am doing this more for a food intolerance concern than a diet per se. I am hoping to figure out whether or not I should be concerned about Dairy and/or gluten. My mother has Celiac and I would rather know before the damage gets a foothold.

Absolutely agree that you should verify "scientific claims" and be realistic with yourself. The elimination and reintroduction is a scientific "stand by" I remember doing with my daughter when she was a baby. So I plan to work that portion of the diet and am happy to have found some folks here for support.

Jehna
02-09-2013, 01:13 PM
My husband, daughter and I have been on the plan for 1 week today. We feel a lot better, although my husband is having trouble sleeping(he does anyway), and he and I both lose energy mid-day. We think we need to up our water intake. My daughter has lost 10 pounds, My husband has lost 6, and I have lost 5. We may eat like this forever, if we figure out the energy thing.

formenow
02-10-2013, 04:16 PM
I've read the few posts for a few who were going to try this. Has anyone done this? If so, how did it go?

AussieMags
02-12-2013, 06:45 PM
Mid week 2 now and my energy has returned with a vengeance. I had a bit of gastro mid week 1 that I think may have been caused by a fibre overload or xylitol in the coconut yogurt I was having. I have lost about 4 lbs total, but feels heaps better, which was really the goal.

Other changes, not related to the scale are that I have a much calmer belly, my face looks less bloated and I do feel lighter.

Stuff I miss, mostly the milk (in my coffee) and eggs, I guess. Although as each day passes, it bothers me less. I am quite anxious to test gluten though and see where that leaves me.

devadiva
02-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Despite naysayers have been following for 8 weeks and have lost 18 lbs.I have given up all the items listed feel better and look better.do not miss anything,have 7 lbs to go to FIGHTING weight( ha ha)Think I would be losing tiny bit more but have had to curtail my exercise due to having to sit bedside with my 155 lb dog who has had knee replacement and must have quite and someone with him all the time as he improves will be able to do more.

AussieMags
02-20-2013, 11:11 PM
Closing in on the end of the elimination phase (Detox). I feel great and have lost just over 8 lbs total. This weekend I get to challenge eggs. I had some gluten and dairy sneak in in some very strange places. Those are the ones I am the most concerned about. I don't really see my diet changing much with the information except for the level of diligence in avoiding whatever is causing the drama.

I do have one issue and that is the protein shakes. Does anyone else have an issue with them solidifying quickly? It may just be the brand that they have in Australia. I made my shake and set it on the counter while I grabbed an umbrella to take to work and by the time I got back I could hold the shake upside down...

devadiva
02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
No problem with brand of protein I bought,down 20 lbs.

AussieMags
02-24-2013, 11:34 PM
Congratulations! You are doing so well. The scale is moving in the right direction for me as well. The egg challenge is also going well. I was hoping that eggs were not an issue as they are in everything.

Eskielover
03-03-2013, 06:13 PM
I just watched J.J. Virgin on PBS today. What she said made so much sense to me. I figured that I already knew all of the seven foods, but was surprised about Eggs & a little surprised about Corn.

I'd eaten a Gluten Free diet for about 3 weeks between Thanksgiving & Christmas and found that my energy level improved a lot. Had been planning to re-start after New Years but have had many personal stresses in January and February.

I hope to find the book at the Library and want to start this way of eating soon. Would love it if we could turn this thread into a support group as we each get healthier eating this way. Would that be possible?

Will check back later.

Eskielover

fdownhill
03-05-2013, 12:45 PM
I went on the Virgin diet 1 January. I suffer from arthritis and food allergies and felt much better in a short space of time. I did lose 6 lbs in 10 days. Then it stopped. I could not lose any weight. I can see the benifits of cutting out gluten, sugar, soy, dairy and I am sure that shock to the system immediately after the holiday binges led to the weight loss rather than any scientific research behind the plan. When the weight loss stopped I started looking for reviews and it seems they are very deliberately positive given my experience I was very surprised to only find positive reviews. It seems the Virgin diet has a strong internet marketing campaign dedicated to promoting the diet in a positive way. I have been reading this forum for a long time but it was this honest thread that made me join. A Google search shows mostly write ups but optimized for reviews. Most of the reviews look paid.

I have been off sugar with very limited gluten and no soy since January. I definitely feel better but I am alarmed at my inability to lose anymore weight. I went back to Weight Watchers 4 weeks ago and I have lost 2.5 lbs in 4 weeks. I used to lose 2 lbs a week in WW. I realize that I am a few years older and cannot expect the same results but 2.5 in 4 weeks! I am very confused and feel that maybe this diet messed up my metabolism. It seemed like a good idea at the time but now I wonder. I am eating very healthy sticking to my WW points allowance not using the extra's and exercising regularly. Has anybody who has tried this diet rather than just bought the book had this experience?

fdownhill
03-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Several people are saying they are going to try it but has anybody actually done it and what was your experience?:^:

fdownhill
03-05-2013, 12:52 PM
I am glad to see that you are still here with us devadiva. I dont like a lot of vegetables, can't afford organic but I am going to try this anyway. Giving up bread and sugar will help me. I am still reading the book

Any update for us?

fdownhill
03-05-2013, 12:55 PM
Best price I found for pea protein. Whole Foods have it as well but twice the price.

Eskielover
03-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Finally got to the library, but they didn't have the book. I ordered it from Amazon along with another book, "The Healthy Gluten-Free Life". They came in the mail today and I couldn't wait to look through them. Love the cookbook--it has about 200 gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free and egg-free recipes. Lots and lots of pictures of food that looks delicious. I highly recommend it. Written by Tammy Credicott.

Haven't had time to start reading The Virgin Dietsince I focused on the cookbook first. Will get to it tonight or tomorrow. I'm hoping to get planning & shopping done by next week so I can start soon after. :carrot:

Devadiva and AussieMags, any updates?

Eskielover

SwmrGal
03-24-2013, 01:03 AM
I'm new to this website, but have read this thread and decided to post. I just finished 3 weeks of this plan after seeing Ms. Virgin on PBS. I didn't buy the book, but found a great summary with all the information online. I don't consume corn or soy so giving them up wasn't a problem. I was worried about giving up dairy and eggs, but once I got started, I didn't crave either. I lost a total of 22 pounds in 3 weeks. (10, 3, 9 lbs, wk 1, 2, and 3 respectively). Shocked the heck out of me, I can tell you! I feel good, my knees feel much better (might be because a load has been lifted) and I don't crave any foods or feel hungry. I believe there is a firm foundation and growing evidence regarding food intolerances. As a toxicologist, I believe the "dose makes the poison," even when it comes to our food.

I used Garden of Life RAW Protein. Gluten free, soy free, dairy free, vegan, unsweetened. I used Stevia and Xylitol as sweeteners.

Good prices can be found on eBay, Amazon and Vitacost. Watch sales at Whole Foods for the protein powder. Check Garden of Life's website for $5.00 coupons. Pair it with Whole Foods $5.00 coupons and get $10.00 off at Whole Foods when it's on sale! I bought a case when they had it on sale for $25/canister. Got a case discount AND saved $10 per canister, buying it for about $13 each!!

I start adding back this week. I'm starting with eggs. I hope I don't have to give up eggs...... I LIKE eggs.

I made almond butter when I was doing the first 3 weeks. I roasted almonds in the oven for 15 minutes at 350. Cooled them, used my Vitamix and some almond oil and ground them to make silky smooth almond butter. I ate it with celery for my snack each day. I don't think I will miss peanuts and peanut butter anymore.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'll check the posts regularly.

Best of luck to all of you!!

Alyssa Autopsy
03-30-2013, 01:42 AM
"7 Foods to Avoid for Rapid Weight Loss
Based on her presentation The Five Essential Elements to Achieve Lasting Weight Loss on January 21, 2012, JJ Virgin, one of the nation's foremost fitness and nutrition experts, recommends avoiding the following 7 foods for rapid weight loss.

Soy
Corn
Gluten
Dairy
Sugar and artificial sweeteners
Eggs
Peanuts

[source (http://lifealignwellness.com/life-align-blog/1946-7-foods-to-avoid-for-rapid-weight-loss.html)]

i think this would be very difficult for me.
i could switch from soymilk to almond milk,
can switch from peanut butter to almond butter,
and i also use agave nectar or honey instead of sugar...

but the dairy, gluten, eggs, and corn are all issues for me.
i rarely eat cheese but i love it, i only eat or cook with
eggs for myself like twice a week but i quite enjoy it,
i don't even know what kind of stuff HAS gluten,
and i've cut out high fructose corn syrup and corn syrup solids,
but cutting out the actual vegetable corn would suck,
as corn is one of my favorite vegetables of all time.

she says you can lose 7 pounds in 7 days...
idk, that sounds to good to be true...
and what sounds too good to be true, usually is.

anyone have experience with cutting this stuff out?

spanky
04-06-2013, 10:33 AM
So I looked into this a bit. Bought the "Book Notes" on Kindle instead of the real book so I didn't have to read and pay for the whole thing. It covered the essence of the Virgin Diet plan.

What I notice is that it's a lot like a Paleo diet minus the eggs at the beginning. I already know that at least half of the 7 problem foods affect me and the info helped me to reconsider some of the items I use in my Paleo menu.

I've been using a soy shake powder and that may be a problem so I bought a jar of the Virgin Shake mix to try. I totally cannot eat breakfast so I have to drink a shake or it's no go. Supposedly this shake has none of the bad stuff, but still has protein.

I doubt eggs are a problem for me [a big menu item on Paleo], but I may cut them out to see if anything happens.

I'll post a review of the shake after it arrives and let you know if it's yukky or OK.

Alyssa I see we're the same height and have the same weight goal--good luck to you, I find it's so hard to be short and overweight at the same time!!

Spanky

Eskielover
05-25-2013, 12:00 AM
Spanky, did you like the protein powder? I'm still looking for a brand that tastes as good as my whey powder.

Anyway, I started The Virgin Diet on 4-16 and have lost 8 lbs. and over 9 inches so far. I've not been doing the shakes or any of the other weight loss tips in the book. I just stopped eating the IF foods. So far I've completed the Gluten, Soy, and Egg challenges & found out that I can not eat eggs.:( I had a major reaction: sinuses were throbbing, headaches, stuffiness, sudden tiredness and generally not feeling well. After I quit eating the eggs on day 3 of the challenge, it took me two days to lose the headache and other symptoms. Right now I can't even look at an egg!!

I start the Dairy challenge on Monday. Hopefully I'll do okay with this. I had mild reactions to gluten and soy but not planning to add them back in. I feel so much better without them in my life. It's amazing how you don't even have cravings!

Will check back in later.

DreamWarrior
07-23-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi, I started today on this diet. I was wondering if anyone else has done it lately and if they could share their experiences, also meal ideas?

Thanks.

JerseyPAGirl
12-10-2013, 10:13 AM
Four painful, excrutiating days is how long I stayed on this plan. The shakes were gagging me by the 3rd day. That was the WORST protein shake I've ever had. I was dizzy and nauseated the third and fouth day. I couldn't even function in work because I felt so horrible that I wound up eating a bagel, egg and cheese :(

I could have handled these symptoms over the weekend when I started. But not during work. On every diet that I've ever been on, I dealt with a headache on the second day...no biggy. But to be this symptomatic for two days straight...and the two days that I started work....itsn't for me. Her shakes are WAY overpriced and they suck. She charges $12 for shipping just ONE!! That's highway robbery. Then she has the effing nerve to say in one of her videos that she charges her clients $3,000 per hour. Wow, so she has to charge the general public $12 S&H for her crappy shake?? Thanks but no thanks.

And her book is contradicting also. One page she shows you how to eat (lean protein, non starchy veggies, good fats, carb and nuts). Then on another page she breaks the food down again, but doesn't include the nuts.

marigolds
12-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi, it seems like forever since I've been on this forum! I am reading about the Virgin diet. I avoid dairy and gluten like the plague (I have to for health reasons), and will never go back to eating them.

I haven't read through all the posts yet, but have you really seen more health benefits avoiding corn, soy, eggs, etc? Thanks for any input.

reba22222
01-04-2014, 05:47 AM
I lost 30 lbs in about 30 days about a year ago trying to follow JJ Virgin. I'm going to try to start again but hope to find more support. My experience was that at age 54, having been drinking soy milk for years because of my lactose intolerance and milk allergy, as well as finding soy "ice cream" I couldn't live without, that I discovered a horrific intolerance for soy. I had no idea. It was very helpful information to have. Likewise after the 3 week cleaning out as much of the FI foods as I could, I read that perhaps after years of being allergic to eggs (extreme fatigue after eating eggs, compounding my already serious fatigue problems from depression not responding well to meds), i could try eating organic eggs with less intolerance. Lo and behold!!!!! I love eggs. I still shy away because I eat in restaurants mostly and nowhere I eat is organic. So 2 pieces of pretty valuable info from Phase I. She's not joking when she says you'll know if you are intolerant while challenging a food. It shoots right through me. Sorry to be so graphic but there was no question soy was an issue. It explained why I had that everytime I ate a carton of soy ice cream! LOL I hope you are still around. Not many in our group or i don't understand blogging and i could use some support. ! Thanx Rebecca

KellyGigi
03-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Hi, I'm new to blogs but I wanted to get more info about the results people are having with the Virgin diet because i'm about to start it. I'm afraid it will be too hard but the post from SWMGAL gave me some hope. Please reply with any new info thanks

KellyGigi
03-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Hi Swmrgal,
Just wanted to know how you were doing with the virgin diet bc I was going to start it this weekend. Any info will help. Thanks

rubeezhoney
03-10-2014, 10:01 AM
I watched the JJ Virgin diet yesterday as well, the plan appears simple enough, I just did the 28 day Fast metabolism diet and it was way to strict and time consuming to try it again, even though I lost 12 pounds in 28 days, It cost over $900.00 in healthy foods. This plan is easier to follow and not as strict, since I gave up all the stuff listed anyway I am going to give this a try for 10 days . I searched JJVirgin online and found her community cookbook for free.My goal is to lose the additional 6 pounds that will make me feel happy.

Judecon1
03-30-2014, 01:46 PM
Hi there, I am new to this forum so before you blast me for being affiliated with JJ Virgin, let me assure you I am not. I am a huge skeptic too when it comes to gimmicks and weight loss/diets. First of all I want to say that JJ is not the only health guru out there now promoting "eating clean" , non GMO foods or franken-foods as they are known, and she won't be the last. My form of thought led me to her because she does have the science to back up her claims and it makes sense to me. I firmly believe in my gut ( no pun intended) :) that this is not a fad diet or a gimmick in any way. My personal story in a nutshell: I had a non elective total hysterectomy several years ago that plunged my body in to hormonal ****. Eventually I developed Thyroid disease ( directly related to my hyster) and finally Hashimotos Thyroiditis. This destroys the body's balance and hormonal harmony not to mention the complete obliteration of your metabolism. I gained nearly 80 pds over 5 years because I just gave up trying to kick start my body and what I was doing before to stay healthy, working out 5 times a week ect.. ( I used to run 4 miles on my lunch break at they gym) was not working at all. I was so frustrated at one point I started working out twice a day and still nothing. It's been a long road and I am still fighting my way back but with the help of my doctor balancing my hormones ( I go to a Natural path physician) thyroid and female hormones and JJ's plan for people who are especially weight loss resistant I have now lost 15 pds in 5 weeks and the weight is melting off of me. Also I don't have to kill myself or my adrenals working out 5/6 times a week to drop the weight. I do her 15 minute burst workouts ( you have to really exert yourself ) for only 3/4 times a week and I am as surprised as anyone that this is working. I don't have a problem with discipline, I used to run 4 miles a day in 40 minutes so adopting her approach has been different but liberating. Not going to lie, you have to commit yourself to it and most of all prepare your meals ahead of time. This has been a God-send for me and I hope this helps anyone out there with the same issues, there is HOPE! Also anyone approaching menopause or in the throws of it now having trouble losing weight, get your hormones checked out including your THYROID. Thanks for listening!