Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Dec 17 - Dec 23

BillBlueEyes
12-17-2012, 06:30 AM
We had some serious rain yesterday - DW will be happy since she's always aware of how much moisture her plants have.

Our Christmas tree stands outside getting wet. We now have the situation of waiting until just the right moment between rains when it's dry enough to bring inside. One year we had to bring it into the basement for two days to dry out - a slow process.

I'm doing well ignoring Christmas goodies. Yesterday huge platters of sweetened breads appeared in honor of Saint Lucia by a guy who has Swedish ancestors. Everything I know about Saint Lucia is that you eat sweetened breads in her honor. With apologies to all of Swedish ancestry, I ignored them. It's not clear to me why eating is the way to honor saints - I wish there were a Saint Weight Watchers or something.

Mudpie
12-17-2012, 06:45 AM
BillI think humans eat and drink at most celebratory events as an easy, polite way of sharing the experience.I am lucky in that I work outside and rarely is food or drink brought down to the off leash. Aside from the weather and sand problems we also would be mobbed by dogs. This did prove useful :lol: sometimes as one dogwalker would bring a certain type of donut I loathed and force them on us (she yelled in your face if you didn't take one). I always took a couple of bites and then "shared" the rest with the dogs. :D

I am all set for Christmas, except for decorating the tree. It is sitting in our shed to avoid the drenching rains of yesterday. My cleaners are coming on Thursday and then we'll bring in the tree. DH will be away on Friday night so I can blast the Christmas music while I decorate. :xcheer:

I dragged him to see "Quartetto Gelato" on Saturday night and he was amused by them. Even by the Christmas songs - "Sleighride" and "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire" or whatever that one is called.

Oops - yoga time. Gotta go get back into the exercise routine which was disrupted last week by Dogmaggedon.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

Megan1982
12-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Morning all,

I think I'm finally over the Christmas "hump" of stress and can enjoy it now. I have ordered all of my gifts, and they're scheduled to arrive before Christmas. I did get a little sad to see my neighbor's nice Christmas lights and not have my own up, but, oh well. At least I can enjoy theirs and deliver my jams and pickles to them with a nice bow. I talked to my mom and sis on the phone and have started to get excited about seeing my family in less than a week - which is of course the best past of the holidays for me. Not the food. I need to keep reminding fat Megan of that as I shove her back in the closet. She's made a lot of appearances lately. I also happened on the perfect gift for my 2.5 year old niece as I was talking to my sis talk about trying to run after her while the 3 month old is strapped to her chest. A leash! I found a pink puppy backpack leash that she'll at least think is cute, before she learns to hate it for reigning her in. I have learned a few tricks from being a dog mom. ;)

New Christmas treats arrived this morning at work. On Thursday & Friday I did pretty well at resisting them. Trying to keep it up today, even if it means taking a real lunch break out of the office to keep my head clear. The Christmas party Saturday night was fun, if rather subdued this year. I miss some friends who have moved away, but it makes me want to hold tighter to the good ones who are still nearby. I indulged in one plate of food and some wine, and back to plan. The scale is still up from vacation weight and I'm afraid it's real weight. I will volunteer to be BF's DD for his office party Tuesday, even though this place serves really good beer. I must ask myself what I want more: to be thin, or to have a beer. It seems like a no brainer when I type it out. (Of course I know some of you can have a beer no problem. For me, one beer turns to two or three, and that in turn means a lot of extra food consumed.)

Dagmar, I haven't heard of Quarteto Gelato, but love some good Christmas music. Maybe it's all my childhood choral groups that make me love it all the more? Glad DH went and was in good spirits. Emma would love it if all of my food rejects ended up "shared" with her, lol. Usually she's not nearby and they end up in the trash.

Bill, Saint Weight Watchers, funny. How about our own "Ghosts"? Ghost of Pounds Past, Ghost of Temptations Present, Ghost of the Future and What Could Be (aka a really big fat ghost of ourselves to keep us scared and honest - "fat Megan" could come out of her closet and make a cameo). I like it.

I spent most of the president's address to the residents of Newtown last night in tears. How terrible and sad. I couldn't help but think of my own parents, both teachers, as well as the many teachers I grew up with as neighbors in our boarding school community. My heart goes out to the families and friends affected by this horrible tragedy. There are no words.

CherryPie99
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Happy Monday everyone!!

I may try running today with the IT Band strap that I got last week. I'm not feeling terribly optimistic. DH brought up the idea of expanding our exercise room (which we built in our basement). He would have to dismantle one wall and move it. That would work out well as we need more room anyway (we didn't know we were going to be this dedicated when we built it LOL) - and if I can't run, I'm going to have to buy an elliptical. Thinking about this makes me sad, but I am also a realist.

Feeling pretty good because yesterday I cleaned the house. I'm not the best housekeeper and it had gotten pretty bad. Scrubbed the guest bathroom, kitchen, dining room and living room. It's such a sense of accomplishment - had the candles lit and it smelled good and looked good. Now I just have to find a way to keep up so it doesn't take a whole day to clean!!

The Kindle I bought for my mother should arrive today and I'll wrap it tonight and with that I am DONE shopping.

Haven't been tempted at work with treats - no one here is a baker apparently. There has been a lot of candy bars and other Little Debbie snacks but those don't really temp me.

Jen

paperclippy
12-17-2012, 10:05 AM
LOL Bill, I also wonder sometimes why pretty much all celebrations tend to involve eating things. We had our family Hanukkah dinner last night (a little late, but still), which of course had to involve potato pancakes and donuts, for tradition. Gotta love a holiday whose traditional food is "anything fried in oil." :rolleyes: Actually MIL didn't really fry the latkes (she uses a griddle instead), and I didn't really like them, so I didn't eat them anyway. Plus the donuts were stale.

Dagmar, I checked in to confirm with my dog sitter for our trip -- we leave Thursday -- and thought of you when she replied mentioning how emails might be sporadic since she is so busy for the holidays. I am imagining her having your dogmageddon over Christmas, between overnights with Carter, her usual daytime walks, and vacation visits for other doggies.

Megan, I think those backpack leashes are kind of hilarious. I mean, it makes sense, but seeing a kid on a leash always makes me laugh. :lol:

alinnell
12-17-2012, 10:13 AM
DD and her boyfriend came yesterday. She's spending Christmas with him in Washington, so we celebrated with her last night. You all will understand this dilemma: she bought me a new scale. I guess she didn't like that mine only does half-pound increments, so the new one does .2 pound increments. So now I have two scales. Side by side. And yes, I weighed myself on both this morning. While I know I overate yesterday and it was a very salty meal (beef stroganoff) I don't know if I like the reading on either scale: 152.5 or 152.8. But the dilemma is this: will I continue to weigh on both? Should I move the old one to a different bathroom? But then will I find myself sneaking in there to weigh as well? And then I question this: the new one requires 4 AAA batteries. Can I trust that? How will I know when the batteries go? Will it start weighing poorly when the batteries are declining or does it just stop one day?

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!!

And DD left her cats with me until New Year's Day. So now I have four cats and all that they entail. Her female cat has assumed the role of leader and none of the boys want to be near her. They used to pick on her relentlessly, but now she's the alpha. It's pretty funny to see my Ringo act kind of afraid of her!

We have a few Christmas goodies at the office. Nothing special. There is a huge platter of mixed dried fruits, but it hasn't been opened so it's not a temptation. I suppose we'll open it Friday during the party. Hopefully a lot of it will be eaten otherwise I'll be bringing it home.

saef
12-17-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm in our head office this morning to provide on-site assistance to our latest new hire.

My coworker in Newtown took time on Sunday to send the whole department an email of thanks for our support. She lives three miles from the elementary school. Her son is fine but one of his friends has lost a younger sibling. Also her former coworker at IBM lost a son. She'll be out for much of the week. She said she's been given lots & lots of material about how to discuss this with her own son.

My other coworker who lives in Newtown hasn't been in touch, but I'll inquire about him within his department. When I get a minute ...

The office feels somewhat subdued today but it may be the grayness and rain, and the approach of the shortest day of the year.

I'm watching to see if our office does something ... some sort of ceremony ... I don't know, but I want something from them, some acknowledgment that it's not business as usual. I'm remembering that we did after 9/11. Maybe that's too much to ask with the emphasis on sales keeping up their momentum through the end of the year.

WardHog
12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
I had a leash for my son when he was little. It was a safety issue; the boy was a runner! We used it when we went to crowded places like airports and Disney. (He still managed to get away from us at Disney, probably the most frightening five minutes of my life.)

I had everything bought and wrapped but then my dog decided to start opening gifts while I was at the gym this morning. Her halo is slipping.

traveling michele
12-17-2012, 11:21 AM
Allison-- are your kitties feeling better now?

I'll be curious to see what our students ask/talk about at school today. I'm wearing green and white and it will be interesting to see if the kids do too.

My dd is home (younger one) but she was gone most of the weekend with friends and church.

My work party is this week too. I'm supposed to bring an appetizer or dessert to share. At this point I'm planning on leaving a little early and going to the later bikram yoga class. If I have a plan, I'm less likely to derail-- right?

I was pleasantly surprised by something the bikram yoga teacher said to me yesterday. She asked her long I'd been practicing and I answered a little over a year and a half. She was quite surprised and said she thought I'd been practicing at least 4-5 years because of my focus. She said most students don't show true focus for at least two years.

traveling michele
12-17-2012, 11:23 AM
I had everything bought and wrapped but then my dog decided to start opening gifts while I was at the gym this morning. Her halo is slipping.

I put two wrapped gifts under the tree. When we came back, one was unwrapped (two shirts for dh). I've left the other one under the tree and it has remained untouched (shoes). The other wrapped gifts are on top of the dining room table at this point as I don't trust the doggies!

alinnell
12-17-2012, 11:58 AM
Michele~Louie still has bouts of laryngitis, but I'm starting to think he's doing it on purpose. For instance, he's usually quite vocal at feeding time and it is during this time that his voice is weird. But yesterday he decided he needed to go outside when DD's boyfriend went out to make a phone call. His voice was loud, clear, and insistent. Therefore I think he's just faking the laryngitis! But he's also had a couple bouts of diarrhea. Once last week and once yesterday. Otherwise, he's acting just fine.

Regardless of the fact that this is the third year without a tree (blame it on the cats) I never put my presents under the tree until Christmas eve. I've had far too many presents "eaten" by dogs!

Megan1982
12-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Megan, I think those backpack leashes are kind of hilarious. I mean, it makes sense, but seeing a kid on a leash always makes me laugh. :lol:

I think they're funny too! Like Wardhog's son though, for my niece it's a safety issue. She's constantly running around and does not sit still, or listen to her parents when they say "no!". My DS & BIL are worried about ADD. Yesterday they were trying to get Christmas lights up outside in their steep driveway/front yard area while it was light and they had a day off work, so BIL was stringing lights while my DS had the baby in the ergo and was trying to keep my niece from hurting herself. Dear niece just wouldn't stand for staying inside while daddy was outside, and she's been throwing some monster temper tantrums. I guess she's also figured out how to unlatch the backyard fence and get through it. I suggested the leash and DS said they'd been meaning to get one.

Michele, what a nice compliment from your yoga teacher.

Allison, GL w all the cats! I'm laughing at Louie's selective laryngitis.

Jen, I love a nice clean house, too. Don't you feel so productive and virtuous?

I think I skipped the inside tree last year since it was my first Christmas with a dog. I haven't even gotten it out this year, but because of time, not fear of her eating it. I would be a little worried though...

krampus
12-17-2012, 02:18 PM
I am currently not at a "maintenance" weight due to trying to drown a bad weigh-in caused by alcohol/dehydration in fried food. Oh well. There is little self-hate and negative introspection to be had here, and I think that is a good sign of improving sanity about food and weight.

CherryPie99
12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Jen, I love a nice clean house, too. Don't you feel so productive and virtuous?

Last night when I sat down to relax I just felt so... accomplished.... like a neat house is equal to a neat mind or something!

With 10 cats and 2 dogs, no presents ever go under the tree until the day we open them LOL

Guess what? I just ran 5 miles with the IT Band Strap and NO PAIN!!!!!!!! I am so excited!

Jen

krampus
12-17-2012, 02:28 PM
HOORAY FOR NO PAIN CherryPie99!!!!!!!

ICUwishing
12-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Bill, I don't get the business about snarfing treats as a form of worship or gratitude either; I would think that any benevolent creator would be somewhat horrified at the mistreatment of the body temple. :D

Dagmar, I also blast the tunes while decorating - and sip heavily-spiked eggnog. Trans-Siberain Orchestra is my traditional season kickoff music. I may need to switch that up once the CD comes out of DS's Saturday concert. If the sound has been reproduced even remotely accurately, TSO will become 2nd in line!

Jen, I'm not a good housekeeper either. I count on my cleaning service for that, and it does force me to pick up every two weeks. June Cleaver, I ain't! I always figured that if the best they could come up with at my eulogy was "she was a great housekeeper", then I wasn't doing what I should have been doing. :D

megan, I couldn't listen to the address. I will make some alone time this week to grieve the way I need to. You're right, there are no words - just really raw, wrenching emotions.

allison, my scales have always given me good notice when the batteries are at the end. I like having the half-pound increments, because they don't change as often! I'm sure watching the cat dynamics has been really entertaining!

saef, I hope your new hire is a quick learner - that would be a nice gift in and of itself!

ward, I'm grateful that DS was never the adventurous type. a) he's not fast, and b), he's risk averse. For the kid that needs one, the leashes are a fabulous idea.

jessica, oil-fried everything doesn't sound like a way to celebrate to me - it sounds more like a night in the bathroom. :p

michele, that is definitely a big compliment from your yoga teacher! Good luck with fielding any questions; there certainly are far more questions than there are answers. :(

The big choir stuff is done. Whew! I'll get some links up for those who are interested, later this week. Now we'll have just minor stuff locally for the rest of the month. I guess this means I can start my gift shopping now ... :eek:

Siding continues to progress. There was an error by someone on the soffit material, which means a several week delay, but everything else can work around it. What's done looks pretty good.

My bunnies think that the Christmas tree is their own special snack. They've been vigorously trimming the lowest branches. I think I'm going to have to wait until the last minute to put presents under the tree (of course, at the rate I'm getting my shopping accomplished, that won't be a problem), as I am reasonably sure they will take great pleasure in tearing the wrapping paper off. :D

There are no social minefields to navigate this week. Work will be quiet, and I am going to use the opportunity to do some organizing for next year. Hopefully, tonight I will get everything ordered for gifting.

Shannon in ATL
12-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Woo hoo, Jen! I'm so glad that the IT Band strap helped!

saef
12-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Jen ran!

See Jen run! Run, Jen, run!

Run fast & steadily & painlessly & with exhilaration at getting back this part of your life.

traveling michele
12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
That is great news Jen!!

Selective laryngitis? Never heard of it but we've had kids at my school with selective mutism (they can talk but choose not to) so I guess anything is possible!

Dd sent me a text that the only remaining present under the tree has now been opened so I guess no more presents under the tree for us either.

Good thing about a big staff at my school-- delicious looking treats disappear quickly-- there was a big plate of cookies and by the time I went back, it was gone. Thank goodness!!

Mudpie
12-17-2012, 06:34 PM
My Harry & David's fruitcake just arrived. It's in a decorative tin so I have no problem putting it away until Christmas Day. Out of sight, out of mind. That was one bonding ritual my mom and I did for years - I helped her make fruitcakes (and then we moistened them and us with brandy for 6 weeks until the holidays began). Most of my mom's recipes involved booze of one kind or another but at least we were friendly with each other when drinking.

DH did see the fruitcake and suggested we eat it all tonite. He is still in the all/nothing state of mind. I wish I could move him forward but only he can do that.

Dinner tonite involves something called "freekeh" which I picked up on sale in the organic food aisles in our grocery store. I think I will saute some onions, red pepper, and add some chopped spinach to it as well during the last few minutes of cooking time.

Good evening all!

Megan1982
12-18-2012, 09:43 AM
Morning all,
I declined going to a last-minute holiday party last night. Er, probably not last-minute, but BF was last minute in telling me. Since we've got another one tonight and he didn't care strongly if I went, I declined. Instead I ate my OP dinner, walked the dog as planned, and worked on caning a chair that I'm trying to finish for a coworker. I've had it for ~3 months and haven't had much time to sit and work on it, now feel guilty I've had it so long. I'm hoping to deliver it before I leave town for Christmas. I know, another self-imposed deadline. At least I'm getting paid for the chair.

Jen, glad you had a pain-free run! That is great!

Dagmar, I've never heard of "freekah". I just looked it up: "A cereal food made from green wheat that goes through a roasting process". Is it similar to buckwheat? I'm curious how your dinner turned out.

Becky, glad the house is still coming along. When you talk about your DS's chorus it always makes me nostalgic for my own children's choruses. I'm sure the music is wonderful. If anyone makes a youtube video etc you will have to send me a link. I'm laughing about your bunnies eating the tree. My dog really likes to chew up pine cones and sticks (not eat, just chew up, thank goodness). I shudder to think what she'd do with a real live tree, not just a fake one.

Is it really only Tuesday? This is going to be a long week at work. Have a good day everyone. :)

ICUwishing
12-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Still working on some audio. My iPad videos sound tinny. The choir's accompanist did a recording of the concerts using some much better equipment, so I think I'll be waiting for that. However, here's a picture at least. DS13 is on the far right. :)

Mudpie
12-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Still working on some audio. My iPad videos sound tinny. The choir's accompanist did a recording of the concerts using some much better equipment, so I think I'll be waiting for that. However, here's a picture at least. DS13 is on the far right. :)

And DS 1-12 are where? :lol: ;)

Nice pic - they all look quite angelic and I'm sure they sound that way too!

traveling michele
12-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Fruitcake-- yuck! I know some people love it-- but not me!

Megan-- dh and I had a party to go to Saturday night. I had my dress picked out, my hair colored and cut, and fully intended going. We had gone last year (co-workers of dh throw the party) and it was at least 1-1.5 hours away and we encountered horrible fog driving back (with me driving as the DD and I don't see well at night to drive). Dh and I were both struggling to stay awake in the afternoon and I was getting ready to get dressed to go when dh said we didn't have to go if I didn't want to. I was so happy! It was a dreary, cold, rainy day so I knew the fog would be even worse (their house is on the Bay) so he called to decline. We went out for sushi locally and went to bed early. Such a better decision than driving treacherous roads late at night with all the loonies and drunks.

I do have a couple of other challenges this week though. My holiday party for work is Thursday afternoon. Still planning on going but not staying too long and then will hopefully go to yoga after.

Saturday's challenge will be a little more difficult. I booked a reservation for high tea with younger dd at Neiman Marcus in San Francisco. I'm sure I will enjoy the full high tea service! My goal is to go to yoga before and maybe do some walking around in the city to combat the calories somewhat!

bargoo
12-18-2012, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the picture, I would love to hear them.

alinnell
12-18-2012, 12:12 PM
If you have five minutes and want to see some of the work we do, I invite you to watch this video: Gray Residence (http://vimeo.com/46339474). This is the one where we supplied 17' tall structural glass walls that we had to import from Germany.

bargoo
12-18-2012, 12:36 PM
If you have five minutes and want to see some of the work we do, I invite you to watch this video: Gray Residence (http://vimeo.com/46339474). This is the one where we supplied 17' tall structural glass walls that we had to import from Germany.
What a magnificent home, enhanced by your companies glass walls.

paperclippy
12-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Hey folks! So I haven't been talking much about my eating or my weight on here lately, and there's a reason for that. The reason is no longer a big secret though, so I can tell you . . . I'm pregnant! :preg: What's more, I'm having twins! (No emoticon for twins I guess. :lol: ) They are due next June. So on the one hand it's time to turn off the maintenance mode because the doctor told me this morning I need to gain 40lbs (I'm up about 4-5 so far at 12 weeks), but on the other hand I need to track everything more than before because he also told me I need to eat 3,500 cals/day ( :fr: ) including 175g of protein. I've been struggling with "morning" (read: all day) sickness the past couple months so I'm not sure how I'm going to manage to eat that much, but I'll do my best.

(For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook, I'll be announcing on facebook later today after I tell my boss at work so please don't post anything there until you see my announcement.)

silverbirch
12-18-2012, 01:58 PM
Great double news, Jessica! :) :)

saef
12-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Becky, I also wish I could hear your son and his cohorts singing. Those boyish voices always sound so rapturous, and this time of year is about the only time they can be heard. You've given me a yen to hear them. I wish they'd go caroling through neighborhoods in the open air ... or else I need to get myself invited to some friend's kids' concert. Or maybe there's some TV Christmas special featuring the Vienna Boys Choir. (I just realized I haven't watched a live TV Christmas special in ages & ages, and yet that was something that was traditional in my childhood. And not just the elderly Bing Crosby ... there were all kids of Christmas specials on TV back in the day.)

Allison, that house, that house. Wow. Who are the Grays and where does their money come from? I mean the money to hire architects, cut into a hillside, drill through rock, erect steel girders, and move boulders, to get some equivalent of Fallingwater only not built on a waterfall? Ah, I like "Mad Men" and its historical recreations, but I'm far from a midcentury modern or Frank Lloyd Wright devotee -- and yet, yes, I can see, this is really something. Only people with the means to live far from neighbors can live on a stage setting inside a glass box.

bargoo
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Jessica ! Congratulations ! Wonderful news !

ICUwishing
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Wow! Congratulations, Jessica! :carrot:

saef
12-18-2012, 02:04 PM
I'm pregnant! :preg: What's more, I'm having twins! (No emoticon for twins I guess. :lol: ) They are due next June.

Jessica, I remember when you were mulling over this, months ago, and I have to admit, I kind of wondered where you'd gone with it. Well, you aren't just doing it halfway. You're going for a matching set! Congratulations!

And I'm sorry about your sickness, and hope that will abate soon. The only comfort is, it's for a good cause, and there is a term limit.

Megan1982
Congratulations, Jessica! Great news!

bargoo
Silver ! So good to hear from you, I have missed you, hope everything is going well for you . Happy Holidays .

alinnell
12-18-2012, 02:23 PM
Jessica~What wonderful news! Congrats! Can't wait to "follow" it on FB along with Glory's posts. Hoping your morning (all day) sickness is short lived. I was terribly sick for the first three months with both of my pregnancies and after that no troubles at all.

Who are the Grays and where does their money come from? Mike Gray's family is behind St. John's knits. I believe he kind of split from the family at one point and made cookies. I think he packaged the cookies for airlines--can't remember exactly. In any case, he's wildly rich (as are many of our clients).

Shannon in ATL
12-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Oh Jessica, that is fantastic news! Congratulations!

bargoo
12-18-2012, 02:45 PM
Jessica, I was in the grocery store yesterday and there was a couple with triplet boys ! They were so cute, I wuld guess them to be about 6 months old, maybe more.
I told them I only got one at a time I feel cheated.

BillBlueEyes
12-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Congratulations Jessica Congratulations Jessica

Perhaps they'll share their birthday with the future Queen/King of England.

traveling michele
12-18-2012, 04:15 PM
Double congrats Jessica!
How exciting!!

Mudpie
12-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Jessica :bravo: :congrat:

Dagmar

Mudpie
12-18-2012, 06:38 PM
I am awash on a sea of sentimentality. Rod Stewart singing Christmas standards and carols - complete with strings, choirs, duets, etc. etc. So over the top (and he knows it) that it's fun!

And then he turns around and does a version of Silent Night that starts with just an acoustic guitar and his voice and I'm bawling my eyes out.

The holidays are a :crazy: time!

ICUwishing
12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
Wasted 3 hours in front of the TV last night, in the far-flung hope that just maybe, somebody unique would be chosen on The Voice. Nope. More of the same. I think I'll declare myself a musical dinosaur and be done with it. :D

My mom sent a very welcome gift - big ole box of outstanding, premium citrus. We fell on it like vultures. Yumyumyum!

allison, the Gray house is magnificent. While I can't imagine wanting to live in such thing, it is truly beautiful to the eye and I hope they will absolutely love it.

dagmar, agree - crazy times. I'm laughing because I think my holiday has climaxed already. After DS's Saturday night concert, everything else seems sort of downhill, and I'm still floating on the warm fuzzies. I haven't been this positive about Christmas since I was a little kid!

saef
12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
Hey, what you two are feeling about Christmas -- Becky and Dagmar -- can you send some around my way? Cause I am in that annoyed, back-against-the-wall place, where I feel like all I do is rush to be in a certain place at a certain time, or to get something done on deadline. And I am starting to wonder what is the point? Isn't all that supposed to bring about a quiet space in which I can breathe and inhale some of that goodwill toward all men & women that sometimes floats in the air, amidst all the commercial glitter?

My department's going out to lunch soon. I want to laugh and talk. Maybe then I'll feel a little bit of it. That's what I want, not the damn food & wine.

Sheila53
12-19-2012, 12:25 PM
Congratulations, Jessica!

paperclippy
12-19-2012, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! :grouphug:

This morning DH prepped me a gigantic array of healthy food that meets the "optimum nutrition" guidelines and almost (but not quite) adds up to the 3500 calories required. I came downstairs and it covered half our kitchen counter! Then he pulls out our cooler and is like, you'll have to start taking the cooler as a lunch box, it won't fit in anything else! :fr: I compromised by taking his lunch box instead of mine (his is basically a mini-cooler and he's on vacation so doesn't need it), and taking only part of the food with me since I'm working from home this afternoon. There is no way I am going to be able to eat that much food today! DH put on "Eye of the Tiger" to encourage me to chow down. :lol3: I have a feeling I will be able to meet the weight targets without actually eating that many calories, since gaining weight has always been extremely easy for me.

Saef, do you get any time off for the holidays? If so, maybe you can spend some time visiting friends or take a stroll to enjoy holiday decorations outside. It might be a nice evening activity in any case if the weather is good.

Becky, a box of citrus sounds like a great gift! I hope when my parents' tangerines ripen (around March) they'll send me a box full of tangerines. Yum! We bought some clementines at the grocery last weekend and I have been devouring at least four of them each day.

alinnell
12-19-2012, 01:08 PM
I've sent out boxes of citrus in the past. We have a mandarin tangerine that usually yields 2 dozen fruit. A grapefruit with copious amounts of fruit and my in-laws have a tangelo that often yields several dozen. I'll get the largest USPS flat rate box and stuff it as full as I'm able (which is usually 5-6 grapefruit, 2-4 tangelos and all the extra space filled by the tiny tangerines). Everyone is usually quite grateful. And I am, too, because I can never eat all the grapefruit! We've trimmed our tree back several times, but it never ceases to amaze me how it can produce!

traveling michele
12-19-2012, 01:40 PM
Jessica-- I suspect you'll have no trouble gaining weight either. Just focus on eating healthy, and see how you grow/gain. I wouldn't TRY to gain weight unless your doctor thinks you aren't gaining enough.

I gained 40 pounds with both of my pregnancies. One I was on bed rest for the majority of the pregnancy, the other I wasn't. I think 40 pounds is just what my body wanted to gain. Of course, I wasn't eating 100% healthy, but I'm sure I still would have gained close to that even if I did.

CherryPie99
12-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Congrats Jessica!! I have never wanted children but if I was SURE I could have twins I might reconsider - I'm a Gemini and have always been a little obsessed with twins!! Excuse the dumb question, but can they tell if they are identical or fraternal before they come out?

Just got back from a 6.1 mile run - again PAIN FREE!! Being able to run again has totally settled me! I feel totally at peace with the world! Hope it lasts!

Jen

Megan1982
12-19-2012, 03:09 PM
Just got back from a 6.1 mile run - again PAIN FREE!! Being able to run again has totally settled me! I feel totally at peace with the world! Hope it lasts!

That's really wonderful to hear, Jen. I hope it lasts, too!

Jessica, that sounds like a lot of food! I'm sure if you listen to your body and try to optimize nutrients you'll be ok. Cute how DH plans out all your food for the day, insists you take a big cooler, etc.

Saef, how was lunch? If you aren't able to take time off around the holidays, it sounds like a little vaca- or staycation are in order in the new year. It might be nice to take time off without the reconstruction of your apt & furnishings hanging over your head, now that that project is done with.

My sister's in-laws live in south FL and have several citrus trees and a mango tree that all grow delicious fruit. BF does have a mandarin orange tree in his yard that produces fruit some years, but he neglects it so we never know what the crop will be like. Living here I get access to really good citrus and berries when they're in season. I love it!

The Christmas party last night was fun, though perhaps not a maintenance success. My neighbor offered to drive us so my brain said "you have a DD! have a cocktail! or 3." I am very frustrated at my lack of willpower and follow-through regarding off-plan food & beverage items right now. Same old, same old, yadda yadda yadda. You've heard me say this before, and I've said it so much I'm boring myself. :headache:

I think everyone in my office has holiday-itis. The week is crawling along. I'm looking forward to my yoga class tonight, followed by guitar night at my friend's. Going to pick up an extra thick yoga mat and yoga DVD from my teacher for my dad's Christmas gift. He is really into yoga right now and I'm happy to encourage family members with health-oriented gifts when they ask for them. :yoga:

paperclippy
12-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Jen, they can't always tell if they're identical or fraternal, but in my case the ultrasound showed only one placenta which they are both attached to. If they were fraternal there would be two placentas (and there are two in some cases of identicals as well).

Now DH is completely freaking out. My appointment with the OB today was cancelled because she was at the hospital delivering a baby, and since I'm going on vacation tomorrow we had to reschedule for a little over a week from now, but he wanted to know what she was going to say about the nutrition/supplements/etc. So I had him call and talk to the nurse. Now he's extra stressed out because the nurse said basically, don't worry about all that stuff, I shouldn't take any of those supplements, and while the doctor yesterday said that tofu was fine to eat the nurse today said don't eat soy. :?: Doctors can never agree on anything. So now DH is totally stressed out and feels like no matter what everything we do is wrong and will somehow hurt the babies. Up until now his depression hasn't made any appearances since finding out about the pregnancy but his current reaction is one of those excessive amounts of worrying that seems like he's maybe having an episode. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I thought talking to the nurse would make him feel better but it just made him feel worse!

alinnell
12-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Jessica~everything I've read about soy during pregnancy is that it is generally safe if eaten in moderation. One to two servings a day is moderate and shouldn't cause any problems. The key being moderation. Moderation is key in a lot of things! Overdoing anything can have consequences!

traveling michele
12-19-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry dh is freaking out Jessica. I hope he doesn't worry too much during your pregnancy. It is mind boggling how much they now tell you to omit or limit during pregnancy now. During my pregnancies, I just had to avoid smoking, drinking, and limit caffeine. Now you have to monitor fish, soy, etc! When my mom was PG with me, she smoked (don't know about drank), and only gained 12 pounds (I was over 7!)! My how times have changed....

bargoo
12-19-2012, 05:10 PM
Jessica, your doctor is the one that should have the final say. My suggestion to talk to your dh about his anxiety. Tell him that it is important that you be calm and not stressed and he can help you with tha by being calm himself. Assure him that you would never do anything to harm the babies in anyway.Tell him, also that if your OB was concerned about delaying your date she would have referred you to a colleague. I don't think a few days at this stage of your pregancy will be harmful. No, I am not a doctor or nurse , but I have been pregnant but never with twins. I wish you the best and healthiest of pregnancies.

Shannon in ATL
12-19-2012, 05:36 PM
Jessica - I'm entertained by you carrying a cooler full of food to work. LOL

Jen - yay for another run!

Becky - My mom sends us a citrus box every year. I love it.

Allison - jealous of you having a grapefruit tree in your backyard. I've eaten almost all of the ones my mom sent me and am already sad at how soon they will be gone.

Megan - right there with you on the holiday-itis.

I have to go discipline someone for decidedly inappropriate comments to a subordinate tomorrow, the larger of my 'fat' pants are tight today and my head is congested. I'm not in a particularly happy place.

Edit - I missed an entire page when I read this thread and replied. Jessica, second what bargoo said about talking to DH. Don't let him make you stressed out. Its mommy time. :)

alinnell
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
Allison - jealous of you having a grapefruit tree in your backyard. I've eaten almost all of the ones my mom sent me and am already sad at how soon they will be gone.

If you (or anyone else) wants to PM me with your address, I'll send you a box sometime in January. We always have more than we can eat!

Mudpie
12-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Now DH is completely freaking out. My appointment with the OB today was cancelled because she was at the hospital delivering a baby, and since I'm going on vacation tomorrow we had to reschedule for a little over a week from now, but he wanted to know what she was going to say about the nutrition/supplements/etc. So I had him call and talk to the nurse. Now he's extra stressed out because the nurse said basically, don't worry about all that stuff, I shouldn't take any of those supplements, and while the doctor yesterday said that tofu was fine to eat the nurse today said don't eat soy. :?: Doctors can never agree on anything. So now DH is totally stressed out and feels like no matter what everything we do is wrong and will somehow hurt the babies. Up until now his depression hasn't made any appearances since finding out about the pregnancy but his current reaction is one of those excessive amounts of worrying that seems like he's maybe having an episode. I'm not really sure what to do about it. I thought talking to the nurse would make him feel better but it just made him feel worse!

Jessica Might I suggest getting DH busy with Carter once you get back from your holiday? Both of them will be feeling quite stressed as things progress with your pregnancy and you have less time for them. They can strengthen their bond and do "guy" stuff together to give you some peaceful time to enjoy being pregnant. Not that you don't want them to be there for you but sometimes you need a break, particularly since it sounds like they both have quite high levels of anxiety.

Dagmar :dizzy:

Shannon in ATL
12-19-2012, 10:37 PM
If you (or anyone else) wants to PM me with your address, I'll send you a box sometime in January. We always have more than we can eat!

Oooo! I can totally do that!

BillBlueEyes
12-20-2012, 06:25 AM
Congrats on that pain free run, Jen (CherryPie99). My mind still boggles at 10 cats and 2 dogs.

I'm feeling so free on my second day without my leg cast. I still walk with a slight limp like I was wearing one - methinks I've trained my brain to think "cast" and now have to retrain it. Yay for solvable problems in life.

Christmas sweets continue to show up around here. My DW was offered a leftover platter of cookies at an event to "take home to Bill;" fortunately she declined - partially knowing that I didn't want to see them and partially knowing that when I didn't eat them she would. The dynamics of this household have changed since I started my journey; it's inconvenient that I'm no longer the sweeper who consumes all leftovers and unwanted sweets. It's not so flattering that I've been replaced with a compost bin, LOL.

Mudpie
12-20-2012, 06:38 AM
Christmas sweets continue to show up around here. My DW was offered a leftover platter of cookies at an event to "take home to Bill;" fortunately she declined - partially knowing that I didn't want to see them and partially knowing that when I didn't eat them she would. The dynamics of this household have changed since I started my journey; it's inconvenient that I'm no longer the sweeper who consumes all leftovers and unwanted sweets. It's not so flattering that I've been replaced with a compost bin, LOL.

I know you are commenting with tongue firmly in cheek Bill. I would be very glad that my SO thought enough about my health to no longer assign me the role of "garburator" (SP?) or to even bring the stuff home to tempt either of us. Glad your cast is off and that you are almost healed.

bargoo
12-20-2012, 08:16 AM
They were giving away platters of cookies last Sunday at church. They all looked so good and I love a cookie or a dozen. I left without taking a platter home. That has got to be some kind of a milestone.

ChrisMohr
12-20-2012, 10:00 AM
December 20 and I am still in my ideal maintenance range! From now till New Year's I'm going to relax some and not worry about gaining 3 pounds or so, it will come off easily enough. Just got back from the dentist. The teeth cleaning went so well I couldn't believe my hygienist was finished scraping off the plaque so quickly! She said it's probably because I'm eating a lot less sugar now. Plus, I have had plantar fasciitis for three years and it has finally vanished. Foot doctor says the lower weight of my body puts less stress on my heel. It's been a good year and look forward to my new life as a healthier trimmer guy! Thanks again for all your support, I rave about y'all to my friends who want to know how I'm keeping my 30 pounds off... Love to all this holiday season, Chris

Megan1982
12-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Morning all,

Yoga last night was just what I needed before the hubbub of holiday travel. I picked up my dad's new yoga mat and DVD and of course, now I want a new, thicker yoga mat. These ones my teacher sells are rather pricey but seem very sturdy, thick, and address my dad's complaints that his current mat is not thick enough or wide enough. I was thinking about making some more concrete goals for myself for the new year to encourage my yoga habit, such as attending at least 3 out of 4 classes each month excepting if I get involved in a play and rehearsals interfere. If I make my goal, I can get myself a new mat.

Today I'll hand out my jellies and pickles around the office and pack some up for friends and neighbors. :santa: I sort of feel guilty about giving anyone anything with sugar in it and am not sure I'll keep doing it in future years. Am I crazy?

Bargoo, well done!!! Turning down a plate of homemade cookies takes strength.

Bill, so glad to hear your leg is doing ok and you're a bit more mobile. Just in time, you can run away from all the Christmas sweets. ;) I'm sure you'll adjust to walking more normally again in a few days.

Shannon, sorry about the stress and congestion. Having to talk to an employee/coworker in a situation like that is just never fun. I hope you get through today alright, and tomorrow is better.

Jessica, I agree w Bargoo's suggestions re: DH. And Dagmar's too! You don't need to be worrying about his worrying. Having twins will be so neat. :D

Michele, I'm always confused and amazed about pregnancy limitations, too. I'm at the age where my sis is having babies and a lot of my friends. If I'm cooking for them I try to be sensitive to their dietary needs, but have made a few blunders.

traveling michele
12-20-2012, 11:21 AM
Bill-- glad your cast is off!

Megan-- your "rewards" to yourself sound like something I would do. I like to reward myself with workout clothes, etc. I did recently buy a yoga towel for hot yoga and love it.

Bargoo-- you are one strong woman!
Send some strength my way. Today will be a challenge.
Besides the landmines coming my way at work-- yesterday a student gifted me with amazing looking homemade chocolate dipped pretzels (I didn't try them but dh loved them)-- today is my work party. Dd is babysitting all day and I have to pick her up at sometime-- in a perfect world, I could go to the party for an appropriate amount of time to chat and be seen (but not partake in anything bad)-- then have the excuse to pick up dd-- and still be home in time for the gym and yoga. Crossing my fingers that plans don't go awry!

Dh leaves for Spokane tomorrow to help dd fly down with her service dog! He will also be helping her put her snow tires on the truck, etc.

It just dawned on me that I leave on Monday for Houston. I've got tons to do as well!!

Two more days of work this year. I can make it.

traveling michele
12-20-2012, 11:22 AM
And congrats to you Chris!
It is great to hear that you are seeing such changes in your health due to your weight loss.

Megan1982
12-20-2012, 11:40 AM
Chris, I think I posted around the same time earlier and didn't see your post. Congrats on the great check-ups! My dentist has also commented how I must not eat much sugar. This healthy lifestyle thing has some great payoffs, right?

alinnell
12-20-2012, 12:47 PM
Oooo! I can totally do that!

I actually still have your address (unless you moved in the past two years, but I don't think that is the case). Remember that FB thing where we made gifts? I had to dig deep in my messages there, but I found it! LOL

Getting ready for our office party tomorrow. I think I have everything covered but am wondering if the guys will think it strange that I've cut up a bunch of red and yellow peppers and onions to grill beside the meat (I have a special thing to cook them in while on the grill). I think the veggies will add something good to the tacos. Am I right? Also have beans, rice, salsa, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, chips.

bargoo
12-20-2012, 12:53 PM
What time is lunch? I'll see if I can catch a flight from Sacramento .

alinnell
12-20-2012, 01:06 PM
bargoo~be here by noon!

saef
12-20-2012, 01:43 PM
Feeling somber and contemplative after reading a long, long email from my coworker up in Newtown. She goes through a security checkpoint each time she takes her little boy to school. They went to the funeral for his friend on his soccer team this past Monday. She feels imprisoned in her house, as the roads are choked with news trucks. If she emerges outside on her way to a store or church or any simple errand, reporters thrust microphones into her face. She's been filmed walking down the road with her husband, going to look at the memorials. She's been filmed dropping her son off at school. And over this all, an overwhelming grief. And she keeps reliving every minute of this past Friday, from the first calls & emails, then the helicopters overhead everywhere, the sirens, through to the end.

What can I say? I've talked with her about how a loss feels, though her own loss is indirect, and hard to describe, except a loss of normality, of a feeling of safety, of a sense of community. There is just grief all around her, and constant surveillance of living inside a fishbowl.

"Hug your kids" seems like the usual signoff to these kinds of posts. But, seriously ... Hug your normal life, with its normal, routine frustrations.

bargoo
12-20-2012, 01:51 PM
I wonder if anyone in Newtown has considered forming a support group for survivors of this unspeakable tragedy, I think uf you live in Newtown even though you have no children in that school and didn't lose someone on that horrible day you are still a survivor.

CherryPie99
12-20-2012, 03:20 PM
I think I've told you guys that my background is an MS in Psychology. Saef - there is a lot of evidence to show that just READING about the signs of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - even with no other intervention, greatly decreases the long term effects of a hugely traumatic incident. Not only was the incident itself traumatic, but they continue to be re-victimized by the media.

If you feel comfortable, you might want to let your co-worker know this. I like Web MD's site - http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/tc/post-traumatic-stress-disorder--symptoms. And a support group for survivors as suggested by bargoo is a tremendous idea.

From a personal side, I can't tell you how right you are about embracing normalacy. That really hit home to me.

Jen

alinnell
12-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Today is shaping itself into one of the better days of the year!

We're closing at 3 PM this afternoon.

But that isn't all. The lawsuit that we've been involved in FOR OVER SIX YEARS has been settled between our insurance company and all the lawyers!!! I can't tell you what kind of relief that is!

bargoo
12-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Good news, Allison. When will you be moving? What did your current lamdlord say when you gave notice ?

alinnell
12-20-2012, 06:19 PM
bargoo~we haven't given notice yet. Our lease is up at the end of February, so hopefully we'll be in by then.

traveling michele
12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Great news Allison-- glad you could have a Christmas miracle!

EZMONEY
12-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Great news Allison....and go with the roasted peppers and onions on those tacos/burritos!

saef
12-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Allison, what a Christmas gift you've just received! Peace of mind and goodwill toward all men (since they've entered into a stipulated agreement with you through their legal counsel).

I'll bet you can't believe how much lighter & brighter the world feels.

bargoo
12-21-2012, 08:55 AM
I wasn't sure which thread to post this on so I am posting on both as I am an unashamed bragger.
5 years of maintenance ! I reached goal 12-21-07 , on that day I weighed 120.2 this morning I weighed 117.2.
My past weight loss efforts were that I could lose but I couldn't keep it off I can now say I have kept it off for 5 years.

CherryPie99
12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
CONGRATS BARGOO!

Pretty funny - I weighed in at exactly 117.2 myself this morning and was pretty proud of myself for maintaining through the season so far. I hope that 5 years from now I can say the same thing as you!!

All of my holiday stuff will now be crammed between now and Christmas, starting tonight with a get together at my house.

My plan is to just enjoy myself and not worry about what I'm eating. I can't do that much damage physically or mentally in just a few days time, and so I'm just going to enjoy good food and good company!

Jen

BillBlueEyes
12-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Happy Fifth, bargoo

And congrats for surviving the end of the Mayan Calender as well.

ICUwishing
12-21-2012, 10:11 AM
Congratulations, bargoo!

allison, that has to be a huge relief. What a great gift!

bill, congrats to you on getting back to the land of the mobile. :)

I made a conscious decision to rage-eat yesterday. I ate a bowl of ice cream in the middle of the afternoon while um, expressing my extreme displeasure with the contractors who not only removed my downspouts while replacing siding, but also detached my telephone gang box from the old siding and left it oh so carefully on the ground ... wiring openings facing up, under the missing downspout, in the pouring rain. I do not have landline service at the moment, needless to say. :rolleyes: The ice cream did not solve the problem, but it did taste really good and it metaphorically cooled me off.

alinnell
12-21-2012, 10:15 AM
Isn't it fun to be able to go somewhere and brag and then be congratulated for it? Way to go bargoo!!!!!

Megan1982
12-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh, that's right, today is the end of the world, isn't it? Hmm... the dog seems normal, and animals can usually sense these things. I think we're safe.

Last night I wrapped up BF's stocking gifts. Even though our vacation was our gift to each other, I like to leave him a stocking so he'll have something to unwrap on Christmas day. I'm saving the rest of my wrapping for after I arrive at my sister's, since I have to fly. My dad's yoga mat doesn't fit in my suitcase, so I guess I'm going to have to take it as a carry-on, sticking out of my tote bag, lol. If I get stuck in the airport I can pull it out and do some sun salutes to keep calm. I also did laundry, including washing my winter coat in preparation for packing, and finished caning my friend's chair. Finished product is attached! I enjoy doing crafty things when I have the time, but it's also nice to check it off the list. One less project waiting for me when I return home.

BF is getting home tonight with his new sailboat. He's trying to start a new charter business this season doing sailboat charters. I think it will do really well since no one does it here. He'll be the first in his niche. I fly out tomorrow and will be gone for 5 days.

Bargoo, CONGRATULATIONS!!! :bravo::cp::cb: 5 years of maintenance is quite a milestone. Definitely something to brag about. Keep up the great work!

Allison, wonderful you've finally been able to settle this lawsuit. It's been hanging over you for a long time. It definitely gives you one more thing to celebrate this holiday season! Also, it's probably too late, but I'd go with the roasted peppers and onions! Yummy! And if you happen to have leftovers, they're also delicious in egg scrambles or omelets.

Have a great Friday everyone. :)

bargoo
12-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Megan, the chair is beautiful. I'll bet you could get a nice sideline business with the antique dealers in the area.

traveling michele
12-21-2012, 11:26 AM
Have a wonderful trip Megan!!

And double congrats Bargoo (I also congratulated you on the other thread but you deserve extra bravos!).

Great attitude Jen. Enjoy your friends and family. I should try to employ your attitude with my upcoming travels/family/friends. How much damage can I do between now and January 1 when I return from Houston? HA HA.... I know I could do a TON! So, I'll still try to stick to plan and allow a little fun here and there-- including high tea tomorrow with my dd.

bargoo
12-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Thanks, all for the congratulations. It has taken a whole lot of "keep on keeping on". Why wasn't I able to do it in the past ? I yoyoed for years. I think the difference is 3fc, i get a lot of encouragement and tips from those who have and are doing it, and I even learn from those who may give up and ultimately fail. I don't want to have that attitude that it's too much trouble or I can't do it. I have learned ,I can do it.

alinnell
12-21-2012, 01:16 PM
I need some creative juice!

DH and I need to set up an LLC and we have to come up with a name. Our lawyer said not to use our names or the name of our company.

All we could think of was Culley Cat LLC.

While that would work just fine, it's kind of odd.

Any suggestions???

bargoo
12-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Why not just Culley
Or an acronym of pets names Michlo, or some other combintion of their initials.

alinnell
12-21-2012, 01:42 PM
Lets see:
Chico
Misty
Louie
Ringo
= Chimlor? I'm sure that name isn't taken! LOL

CherryPie99
12-21-2012, 03:51 PM
First and last letter of each?

Romy Cole LLC?

alinnell
12-21-2012, 04:22 PM
Romy Cole, I like that.

I also came up with Desert Oriel. An oriel is a bay window (since we're in the glass business).

Shannon in ATL
12-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Yay, Bargoo! Woo!

alinnell
12-21-2012, 09:08 PM
So the company "end of year" aka Christmas party for those non-Jehovah's Witnesses went well. The guys brought three grills--one for carne asada, one for chicken and my veggies (which went over very well) and one for the poppers that someone brought. Wow. Homemade poppers. They were lethal. Get this--halve a jalapeno and chuck the seeds. Fill the half with cream cheese. Lay a small piece of chicken breast over the cheese. Wrap with bacon and secure with toothpicks. Then grill until the bacon and chicken are cooked. VERY good. VERY fattening!

So we "informed" our landlord (former business partner) that we've purchased a building and won't be renewing our lease. Either they are out of town or ignoring the message as they have not called or emailed anything back. I'm half expecting to be "unfriended" by his wife on Facebook!

EZMONEY
12-21-2012, 09:28 PM
See Allison I told you the guys would do the cooking if you went the carne asada route...what happened with the JW guy?

bargoo
12-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Allison, Desert Oriel, I like that.
I would want to do everything by the book with this landlord , a written notice sent ,return receipt requested, then you know for sure he got it.

alinnell
12-22-2012, 11:26 AM
Gary, the JW ate chicken. He didn't want to sit with us, but we convinced him to. As soon as he was done eating, he was back in the shop working. Some years, he's worked through the whole party. It's hard. I know he doesn't want to offend us, but he also doesn't want to go against his religion. It's hard on us as well, trying all the time to be religiously/politically correct.

bargoo, I'm leaning toward Desert Oriel as well. We're going to discuss it with DH's parents this weekend to get their input.

kittycat40
12-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Hi everyone-

Here catching up-

Happy Holidays to all :)

and congrats, Allison!

Sheila53
12-22-2012, 01:01 PM
Desert Oriel is a great name! One of my nieces is a JW and didn't come for my Dad's 90th birthday party because JWs don't celebrate birthdays. It's tough.

EZMONEY
12-22-2012, 02:35 PM
So Allison...I guess the JW guy doesn't eat meat on Friday unless it's chicken? LOL

All of theJW's that work for us don't participate in our Christmas activities on the job...but they never have...unless it's going home early ;)

Years ago we were talking at work about our church participation, if any, growing up as kids. One of my buddies said they were JW..we asked what that was and he said "I dunno...all I know as a kid our dad told us we were JW and didn't celebrate birthdays or Christmas...but we never ever went to church!" :D

bargoo
12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
G ary, I had a friend who married a man, not JW himself but his ex is and that meant his children were raised in her religion. My friend just couldn't stand it that those kids didn't get any Christmas presents so she would have a Christmas celebration with gifts when they were with their dad on his weekend with them.

alinnell
12-22-2012, 03:15 PM
Gary~this guy does go to church. His vacation each year is to some JW convention. The one thing I didn't like was when his daughter, who is just a little younger than I am, told me I was pagan for celebrating things like birthdays.

I worked with another JW many years ago. It was rather convenient at the time because she never participated in the monthly birthday celebration, so she got to answer the phones!

Mudpie
12-22-2012, 06:02 PM
I also came up with Desert Oriel. An oriel is a bay window (since we're in the glass business).

That's a lot better than mine contribution - Michirilo

ICUwishing
12-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi, kittycat! Good to see you hanging with us again!

EZMONEY
12-22-2012, 11:23 PM
I guess I wasn't very clear about my buddy who's dad told them they were Jehovah Witness...he just told them that, he really wasn't...he was just too cheap to buy presents. What do you expect from a guy that married his wife's sister. My buddy and his brothers worked for me and we always had those "my aunt is also my mother jokes" going....

The Jehova Witness that work for our company also go to their convention every year.Sometimes it's a problem, especially if we are running a crew of 20-30 of them at the time...can really set the job back! Usually, it is not a big problem.