Old 12-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: HW:325/CW:290/GW:179

Height: '5"11

Default How did/ do you fight food addiction?

Here's a little introduction.
I have been obese since I was in my early teens and overweight all my life. I have always turned to food as a reward or if I was bored. It has been the answer for when I'm happy, sad, or just feel like getting something for myself. Last winter I did very well and lost about 50 pounds and have kept off about 40-45 of them. I feel it creeping back on and I don't want that to happen. I'm 5'11" and weigh 280ish now. I am a all or nothing type of girl and I began college this fall so I "haven't had time to exercise and focus on eating healthy." (I also work a full-time job as a nanny). During Winter break I am planning on getting back into the habit of going to the gym and eating healthy. Yesterday I logged my calories and I consumed over 3,000. It was not a typical day for me because I had to eat out for lunch and dinner. I feel like I ignore my "I'm full" signals from my body and eat anyway if it's something I want to eat. I don't waste food, and sometimes I should! I know that I can do it and I want to be healthy and look good. I am always eating something even if I'm not really hungry. Any tips on how to get past the "grazing" phase? any other tips are welcome as well. This is my first time writing anything on here.
MegaMegan2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #2  

My new goal is to be around 250 by April 1st for a trip to New Orleans, so I have to get on the ball!
Old 12-11-2012, 12:44 PM   #3  
Finally in control.

S/C/G: 294/236/199

Height: 5'4"

Hi Megan!

I feel like different plans work for different people. You said that you're in college...is there a nutritionist that you can go and see...someone who can sit down with you and devise a plan that's made to fit your needs? I find that organization is the key to sticking to any plan. I cook for the week on Sunday nights and I pack my breakfast and lunch to take to work with me everyday. I'm much less likely to eat something I shouldn't when I have my own food with me.

Sometimes it's not always about motivation but making a commitment to make the necessary changes. When you're very busy, making time in the morning to workout might be a good idea. Wake up 30 minutes earlier and just get it done first thing so that it's out of the way and won't be affected by random things that pop up throughout the day.

Also, don't put off for tomorrow the things that you can do today. There will always be things going on in our lives that require our attention. Sometimes it's just better to start now rather than waiting for the right time. I've wasted years putting off my diet until tomorrow tomorrow tomorrow. What's one more day? But the days add up and you'll look up and wish you'd just buckled down.

Good luck!
ChickieBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 245/161/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMegan2012 View Post
My new goal is to be around 250 by April 1st for a trip to New Orleans, so I have to get on the ball!
New Orleans is an incredible place to see. I have been there a few times and here's a few tips whenever you're there or motivation before you head that way:

You will be walking everywhere downtown New Orleans. There's really no point in getting a cab. If you need to get a trolley ticket (3 day ticket for 10 bucks I think - saves on gas and time spent in traffic. Plus it's like a way to go tour the city!) It's better to start working on your cardio big time if you really want to enjoy the city and not be out of breath - because it is quite stuffy down there so you'll want to be able to breathe.

One street name will be in French and the other side will be an Americanized name, so familiarize yourself with the history of the split named streets so you don't get lost or screwed over by the cab drivers. :P

If you decide to get the famous beignets at Cafe Dumonde make sure you're sharing one portion of it because they are super duper fattening and sweet. There are a lot of great restaurants with great sources of fresh fish meals!

Pat O'Brien's Hurricane - SPLIT IT. So much sugar. So many calories. It will leave you wobbling in the street. (One drink to myself had me, my mom, and sister, dancing, laughing, and talking super loud on Burbon.)

Investigate parking garages beforehand / cost - they're super expensive in the city, which is why I suggest doing a lot of walking.

Bottom line is you'll be walking a lot and the portions are southern style (over exorbitant) so make sure you find a buddy you can split meals with.
Scondy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #5  

Thanks for the tips ladies! I have seen a Nutritionist before and know how to eat healthy...I just don't do it consistently enough. I will get back on track though!
Old 12-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #6  
Carbivore

S/C/G: 260/167/172

Height: 6' 2"

I have a medical condition compromising the signal of physical satiation (my stomach can stretch too easily), and it was making me overweight or obese most of my life. It's not the case anymore after cutting down the meat and dairy, and going strong on (RAW) vegs and fruits. So now I'm on a "eat as much as I want" diet, maintaining my natural weight (muscle definition well cut). After having my blood system cleansed from most of the fat altering the sugar absorption, I can load a supersweet shake [banana/dates + grapefruit to kill some of the oversugary taste = 200-300 grams of carbs in total] for breakfast and then feel no signs of hunger/appetite for 12 hours. And then the catch is to REMEMBER to eat, because skipping meals is very unhealthy for many reasons.

Last edited by MadProfessor; 12-11-2012 at 03:22 PM.
MadProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote