General Diet Plans and Questions - Get Started Diet

View Full Version : Get Started Diet

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 11:27 AM
I have been trying to lose weight consistenly for 8 weeks and all I've lost is 5 pounds. I've tried Richard Simmons for 5 weeks and lost 3 pounds and tried 123 for 3 weeks and lost 5 pounds. I'm going to stick with 123 and see if I have any results. However, I saw this diet on another board and the people there have had great success with it so I plan on giving it a try for a week starting next week to see if I have any success. I'm worried about being hungry but I'm willing to try and see what happens. Anyone else interested.

"Get Started Diet"
***Important - Drink at least 64 ounces a day of water, decaffeinated iced tea, Diet soft drinks or decaffeinated coffee.

***AVOID caffein as it can stimulate hunger.

BREAKFAST

One serving of cereal with 4 ounces skim milk
8 ounce glass of orange juice
8 ounce drink (water, tea, diet soda or coffee

NOTE - Cereal should be fat free or less than 2grams of fat per serving and should be low in simple sugars. It should also contain no more than 120 calories per serving. Healthy Choice Cereal, Cream of Wheat, Crispix and Special K meet this criteria.

SNACK (9:00 AM to 10:00 AM)

1 Apple or Orange
8 ounce drink (water, diet soda, tea or coffee)

NOTE - SNACK - Important not to substitute any other fruit, Apples and oranges have high fiber contents that help the fructose to be released into your system slowly, thus helping to prevent insulin surges and help to control hinger.

LUNCH

Frozen Dinner

NOTE - Frozen dinner should have 350 calories or less and no more than 9 grams of fat. Most Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine meals meet this criteria.

SNACK (3:00 PM - 4:00PM)

1 Apple or Orange

DINNER

Frozen Dinner (see lunch note above)
Salad

NOTE: Salad can have unlimited lettuce, 1 cup chopped fresh vegetables and fat free salad dressing or flavored vinegar.

SNACK

1 Banana
8 ounces skim milk

NOTE: Banana and skim milk can be blended together with ice to make a smoothie.

wwgal
03-07-2001, 11:57 AM
Do you know how many calories are in this diet? I was just wondering if i would get hungry.

Kelly_S
03-07-2001, 12:26 PM
This sounds too restrictive and too much like a diet. I'd never be able to stick with it. However it might be good to get back in the swing of things for a day or two.

Just for grins and giggles - Lucky Charms meets the cereal critera too! LOL!

And it works out to approximately 24 W/W points!

Wolfangel
03-07-2001, 01:00 PM
May I add in my 2 cents??? It might take MORE than a week to see any changes. Especially if you have been "dieting" off and on for awhile, your metabolism may be screwed up!

Plus, have you measured yourself?? Inches may dissapear before pounds do.

You seem to have the right idea, just need to tweak it with everyone's suggestions.

Good Luck!

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 03:38 PM
This is very much a diet. Some of us need that. I definitely need it right now. How can you be sure how many WW points this would equal out to. I see it equaling way less. I eat frozen dinners for lunch and none of them exceed 6 points with the majority being 4 points. So if I eat the same for dinner I could see 12 points at the most for lunch and dinner, about 2-4 points for cereal (instant cream of wheat is only 2 points but if you eat cereal with milk you might get around 4 points) So that would be 16 points then about 4 more points for fruit. That makes 20 points.
I'm not sure how many calories this is but I guess it would depend on what types of frozen foods you eat. I'm worried about getting hungry too which is my apprehension. I have seen Lean Cuisine dinners which come in larger portions and I believe they will still meet the requirements here so I plan to buy those for dinner. The people on the board I got this from were losing within the first week. One lost 8 pounds in a week and a half and there were others who lost more or less. I believe the lowest I found was 4 pounds in a week. I know many of you will say that its only water or whatever but at this time if the scale moves I don't care what it is. I'm motivated to do this right now but I'm not sure how long I will be able to do it. At least a week but I'm not sure about more. But if it jumpstarts me then that's fine. I plan to continue WW so I don't see myself gaining back anything that I might lose.

duchessnicole
03-07-2001, 04:01 PM
I know there is probably more to this diet than what you gave us right? I mean I couldn't stand being on a diet that didn't had much to choose from. I am one of those people that NEEDS variety or I will go crazy!! Those types of diets usually works for me for about two weeks, then after that I am craving variety and I get off the diet.

So, I guess what I am basically asking is, is there more to this diet than what you posted? Like is there a book or a website that gives us substitutions for some of the things you named?

Sorry to be such a butthead today. I am just tired and can't seem to get things out right. :)

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 04:24 PM
Sorry, what I posted is all that I have. I agree that after two weeks I will go crazy on this-and I may not even make it two weeks. But if it jump starts my weight loss it will be worth it.

Kelly_S
03-07-2001, 04:29 PM
Well let's look at it:

BREAKFAST: 5 points

1 serving of cereal (usually around 1 cup and no more than 120 cal w/no more than 2 grams of fat) = 2 points
4 ounces of skim milk = 1 point
8 ounces of oj = 2 points
8 ounces of water, tea, coffee or diet soda = 0 points

SNACK: 1 (2) points

1 apple or orange = 1 point (possibly 2 if it is large)

LUNCH: 7 points

Frozen Dinner (no more than 350 cal/9 grams of fat) = without any fiber that's 7 points so I used an average of 6 points [most are 5 - 6 points]
Salad w/ fat-free salad dress = 1 point

SNACK: 1 (2) points

1 apple or orange = 1 point (possibly 2 if it is large)

DINNER: 7 points

Frozen Dinner (no more than 350 cal/9 grams of fat) = without any fiber that's 7 points so I used an average of 6 points [most are 5 - 6 points]
Salad w/ fat-free salad dress = 1 point

SNACK: 4 (5) points

1 banana = 2 points (possibly 3 if it is large)
8 ounces skim milk = 2 points

Totals up to: 25 points - 28 points

I also see it lacking in some fat (which can cause you not to lose) as well as probably not enough protien.

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 05:19 PM
I get around 22 points and it will probably be less. My frozen dinners are usually 4 points. Healthy Choice dinners have a larger number of fiber at least 5 grams. Also salads and salad dressing is not included on this plan. It is suggested however, that if you need more then you could add some veggies to the dinners which would be free. My fruits are 1 point with the exception of bananas which are 2. So again, I come out to a low number of points but it still in my point range so all you WWers should be happy with this. I can't see why there's a problem.
Anyway I'm planning to do this and posted in case someone else is interested. If not, that's fine.

Kelly_S
03-07-2001, 05:32 PM
While salad dressings (which is all I counted) isn't included in this particular plan they are on W/W so the points must be added in. I only allocated 1 point however depending on how much you use it could be 2 points.

Fiber now has been capped at 4 grams of fiber thus most of the meals are 5 - 6 points. Even taking off 1 point each that takes it to 23 and taking off 2 would take it to 21 points.

Where is the fat that your body needs with this program?

Jumping around on something like this fad is going to mess up your metabolism (which may already be messed up depending on how many fad diets like this you've tried and how long you were on them).

We all want the quick solution but eating a sensibly balanced diet to get proper nutrition is the only way to go.

Kel

Ps - Even going down to 320 cal/9 fat/5 fiber that's still 6.15 points and 280 cal/6 fat/5 fiber is still 5.9 points. To be 4 points it would have to have be less than 250 calories a meal.

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 08:42 PM
They are 4-5 points. I know how to count points. Also the Lean Cuisine boxes have points on them. I didn't count salad dressing because salads and salad dressing are not even mentioned on this diet.

prettynpink
03-07-2001, 08:44 PM
I'm looking for people who would like to try this diet with me. If no one is interested its not necessary to keep this thread going.

Nancy
03-07-2001, 10:55 PM
Hi prettynpink:

I just started my diet 4 weeks ago, so I am not presently interested in trying this diet with you. However, I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. I think this diet would be great to jump start or for plateaus. It's meant for short term, and I think that's how you see it too.

Best of luck,

Nancy

MrsJim
03-09-2001, 12:35 AM
The calories add up to somewhere around 1200.

I know I've gone on and on about losing weight slowly, by just figuring out how many calories you would need to maintain your weight, then cutting about 300 a day out of your diet - while getting in more exercise. I'm going to say it again here!

Personally speaking, I could not stay on this diet for more than a couple of days. You are right on about how eating such a low-calorie diet can really play havoc with your metabolism -- also, don't forget about your sodium levels - those frozen meals pack a big sodium punch which isn't really good for you!

Here's what I would do with 1200 calories: I'd add at least another 200 calories so I would feel satisfied (actually 1,600 would be better) and have a 400-calorie breakfast, 500 calories each at breakfast and lunch, and 200 calories in snacks. Much easier to do and you are far more likely to stay on track and keep your weight off!

MrsJim
265/156/145

prettynpink
03-09-2001, 10:00 AM
I'm sorry, I guess I didn't say it correctly. I posted this to see if others were interested in joining me-not to keep hearing people put it down. Please leave it alone.

LinnaSue
03-09-2001, 04:56 PM
Prettynpink,

I saw your id so I decided to read your page. I just wanted to let you know that you have a very simple version of Jenny Craig going with this diet. I don't want people to get all hyped up, and I certainly don't want people at Jenny Craig all mad either, but I felt bad for you.

It won't hurt to get started with it. I eat the frozen meals with a salad for lunch. And sure after months it gets to be a bore, on the other hand, the Healthy Choice meals are very sound nutritionally.

You failed to mention your height. I'm 4'11" so 1600 calories is all I can eat to maintain my current weight. So 1200 on a diet is not that much of a shock for me. Watching portion size, and following the food pyrimid really is the foundation to all the diet programs.

How many servings of protein, milk, fat, fruit and vegetables, and carbohydrates will you eat? And instead of a glass of milk substitute a lowfat yogurt. I don't know that what you have there isn't that bad. Do make sure that you do include all the food groups including fat. Use salad dressing on your salads. If you've cut it out everywhere else a little on your salad might make the difference of first, loosing weight and more importantly, being able to stay with a program that is working for you.

I certainly understand your frustations. Good luck!

Linda

hefty
03-12-2001, 08:34 PM
Weight watchers is diet program because you eat real food. i have
heard all the programs with pre packaged food the person ends up
gaining weight after start eating real food again. i don't want to sound
negitive about losing weight but alot of these pre packaged foods have
alot of salt.
On a happier note its nancy's birthday today
i have lost 7 lbs on ww. and about 100 to go

glen

Antmuzic
03-14-2001, 01:21 PM
This diet sounds like a good one for a jump start, but I would get tired of eating the Frozen dinners after a while I like home cooking.

BTW, in your post where you wrote out the diet it DOES say salad at dinner. So can I have a salad with dinner or is this a typo?

prettynpink
03-14-2001, 03:46 PM
Yes you can have a salad with dinner. I overlooked that. I have been doing this since Monday and plan to stop after 7 days because I would like to eat home cooking too. However, I do feel this is a good jumpstart and I will keep eating frozen dinners for lunch too. Also this diet is flexible and you don't have to have everything exactly. For example if you don' t like milk, have a banana and yogurt or whatever else you think you migh like.

prettynpink
03-15-2001, 03:40 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know THIS DIET DOES WORK. I AM LOSING!. I'm not interested in posting how much I've lost so far or what I lose when I'm done because I know all the naysayers will just say that its water, or I'll gain it all back when I stop eating frozen dinners or whatever. I don't plan on gaining it back because I will follow WW to continue to lose and since people think that WW is the "end all be all" of plans (you know who you are) there's no way I can gain the weight back right?
Also what a lot have failed to realize is that this is called the Get Started Diet which means it is a diet that is meant to help you get started and that's exactly what its doing for me.

Bumby
03-15-2001, 04:23 PM
I'm glad you're meeting with success, Pretty in Pink. I agree that it looks like a tough program to stick to in the long run, but that's not what it's for, is it? I find it works well for me to "jump start" with a very structured program that forces me to make a clean break with my old eating habits. Something like this, that offers very few choices to lead me astray, works well. I've done a number of nutty things to get started, and this one doesn't look too bad! Once you've really gotten into the groove of controlling your eating, thinking about what you're doing, NOT going to the coffee stand for cookies every day at 10 and the cafeteria for yogurt every day at 3, it's easier to begin to build a realistic eating plan you can stick to forever. But you have to break those old habits before you can make new ones. I think of these jump start type diets as "detox" but you do have to follow up with rehab and lifelong recovery!

Good luck with WW. It was the thing that finally worked for me over the long haul.

Kelly_S
03-15-2001, 04:34 PM
I'm glad you are succeeding but one thing you need to keep in mind the first week and possibly even two no matter what diet you do be it Atkins, Sugar Busters, Jenny Craig, W/W or counting calories will have large losses of water weight along with a small amount of fat loss. Don't let it get you down if it slows down to 1-2 pounds a week (besides you don't want to lose more than that because you'd be losing lean muscle tissue along with fat). Good luck.

prettynpink
03-15-2001, 05:02 PM
That's exactly why I didn't put how much I was losing because I knew someone would indicate to me that ti was water weight. Who cares. I am more focused on the scale right now and need to see the scale moving downward whether it water or not. A loss is a loss as far as I'm concerned and I'm happy. I expect the loss to slow down after I stop but I will be doing WW so it won't stop completely. My first week on WW years ago, I lost 6 pounds. I'm so happy my WW leader didn't say oh its just water because I probably wouldn't have been willing to stick with it. I'm glad she congratulated me on my loss and encouraged me to keep on losing. I feel this diet is my Quickstart plan and after I'll be on the regular plan. WW used to have a Quickstart plan and LA Weightloss has a Jetstart plan all for the first week to help you lose quickly. Oh well, I guess they're wrong too.

prettynpink
03-15-2001, 05:03 PM
Kelly, I'm not sure if you mean it but you can really bring someone down. I'm glad you are succeeding but... is not a good way to congratulate someone.

Kelly_S
03-15-2001, 05:13 PM
Now it was meant to help keep you motived when your losses slow down in a week or two. That is why I mentioned the water loss. Yes its nice and we'd all like to have it drop off that quick but it won't. If it does keep up at that rate then it is either 1) water (mostly this is the first week or two and not there after) or 2) muscle tissue and no one wants to lose muscle tissue as they burn more calories even at rest than fat. I'm not trying to bring you down nor is anyone else that would mention it but to help you keep a level head about it. Don't take it the way is was not intended. water weight along with a small amount of fat loss. Don't let it get you down if it slows down to 1-2 pounds a week This is what I exactly said and I also said I'm glad you are succeeding and I am sincere in saying that I am glad you are succeeding. I also hope you can switch to real meals and not rely completely on frozen meals so you don't lose interest in obtaining your goal. Good luck. Keep us informed. And yes I probably should have left the but out and used a comma.

prettynpink
03-16-2001, 10:02 AM
So if I said I only lost 2 pounds would you tell me it was fat or water?

Kelly_S
03-16-2001, 10:38 AM
A combination and since you've been trying for a few weeks probably at least 1/2 and 1/2 (you'd said you'd been having a hard time staying on track from a different thread). Getting rid of water weight isn't bad either. I'd not been following closely on W/W for my week of 3/1-6 and this past week I was 100% (water, journal, eating by the numbers, taking my vitamins and calcium supplements with light activity and my weekend dancing) and lost 5 pounds. I know this wasn't 5 pounds of fat because that would be virtually impossible (because to do that I would have had to drop my caloric intake 17500 calories below what I would have needed just to maintain my weight). Most of it was water with some fat loss included to. ;)

Bumby
03-16-2001, 02:42 PM
You know what I think? Thank HEAVEN for water weight loss. I think it's evolutionarily adaptive--like how babies are really cute because otherwise who'd put up with them? If you didn't get that encouraging, reinforcing water weight loss the first week, what would keep you going? It takes a few weeks for the habit of being on program to become second nature (sometimes longer). You NEED those early rewards to keep you going!

I realize, Kelly, you were just making sure P-in-P didn't get discouraged when her rate of loss slowed--it's true, we need determination to keep us OP through the plateaus and "undeserved" gains--but I guess it was a little ironic to see that juxtaposed with P-in-P saying she knew someone was going to tell her it's just water and it won't last. Maybe you were emphasizing that point, for someone other than P-in-P who might be lurking.

Kelly_S
03-16-2001, 02:58 PM
That was more it it was a general post and not directed to Pretty. Remember I'm the queen of plateaus (my 6month one were no change on the scale but I dropped sizes [size 16 jeans to size 12 jeans]).

Wolfangel
03-16-2001, 03:20 PM
PrettyinPink What you need to lose is the Attitude!

You came here with questions, got great suggestions and then got all pissy because they were not the answers you were looking for.

Congrats on the loss..but realize it ain't gonna last if all you eat is frozen dinners.

brigette
03-16-2001, 04:15 PM
But there's nothing wrong with frozen dinners. They're a good way to practice portion control and healthful eating. I usually have one for lunch, and I've been lifetime for approx. 2.5 years. PinP, I think that your plan is a good one for jump starting your motivation, as you've stated you intend to do. Good luck to you.

prettynpink
03-16-2001, 04:15 PM
Wolfangel, who are you and why are you here? I didn't come to this thread with any questions and I didn't ask for any answers or suggestions. I posted the diet for those who might be interested and then posted my results. No where did I ask anyone any questions about would it work, would it be water weight lost or anything else. Are you a doctor? How do you know that it won't last if all I eat is frozen dinners? Besides where did I post that all I would eat for the rest of my life is frozen dinners. I'd have to be pretty stupid to think that and that is one thing tht I am not. Now you on the other hand...
If I choose to eat frozen dinners for the rest of my life everyday of my life that would be my choice. And guess what-I would lose weight.
You really need to get over yourself because I never asked you for anything.

prettynpink
03-16-2001, 04:16 PM
Thankyou Brigette.
Some people really bug me on this board. As you can tell Wolfangel is one of them. She really needs a life.

Wolfangel
03-16-2001, 05:20 PM
You did not ask any questions..you posted a "diet" for people who are interested.

Except you posted in the wrong FORUM...should have been in the SCAM forum.

As for your tone, what are you 13? Grow up and learn to taken some criticism.

And yes, frozen meals should not be soley eaten...too much garbage in them. Sodium, preservations..you should get in as much fresh and whole foods as you can (veggies, fruits, grains, etc...). And yes, water intake, gains and losses are all part of the lifestyle, too. Since you are afraid to post your weight and results thus far...how are we to know this plan is REALLY working?

But, to each there own...and thank you, I HAVE a life. I've been around here a bit more than you have...so lighten up a little. People are here to look out for each other. We may question certain things..that's what a MEASSAGE BOARD is all about. And everyone has been very nice and helpful to you. You don't have too be rude to all of them. Thank them and go on your way.

prettynpink
03-16-2001, 05:33 PM
This plan was provided by a Doctor so I think it has a lot of credibility and belongs right where I posted it. This is in no way a SCAM. Why would you call it that when it fits perfectly into the WW plan. I guess that's a scam too. In case you missed it the diet does call for you to eat fruits and vegetables. I also add vegetables to my dinners so what makes you think I'm not getting the nutrients I need (or anyone else who follows this plan). If you've been around here for so long than you should know how to respond to people-especially when they haven't asked for your advice or input. I never said that I had a problem with losing water. You all did. I was fine with a loss whether its water or fat. I'm also not afraid to post my weight loss but if this is a scam why would you want to see it.

patredford
03-16-2001, 05:40 PM
one of those "I said, you said" threads again:dizzy:although, maybe I should get a "life" because I admit they do sometimes get interesting :rolleyes:

roohound
03-16-2001, 05:43 PM
But with all due respect, Pretty, just because a doctor recommends it does not mean it's the healthiest thing out there. I've heard of doctors recomending Atkins and I think most of us would agree that that is not healthy.

Regardless, best of luck to you!

Wolfangel
03-16-2001, 06:24 PM
All I have to say is having frozen meals 2x a day is NOT a healthy way of living, nor is it a lifestyle change. I understand this is a jump-start diet and if it works...KUDOS!! BUT, it should not be interpreted as a change forever. You can't live on frozen meals alone.

My original intent of my post was that people look out for each other here. We all said it was a good jump-start, but kindly pointed out why it could not be a long-term change and we all wished you well. YOU are the one that jumped down our throats.

So, I say again...congradulations. Sounds like a good plan, but LISTEN to everyone else here on their suggestions, these people know what they are talking about.

As for a doctor recommending this diet. I went to a weight-loss clinic. They only advocated frozen meals when you are in a pinch...you should focus on fresh, whole foods...but I have to admit you are doing the right thing to add more veggies with these meals.

Bumby
03-16-2001, 06:31 PM
I miss frozen dinners. When DH and I were losing weight before kids, we could each choose our own "box" for dinner. It was a really easy method of portion control. We'd generally add a salad or vegetable. I can't really do that now--I feel like something out of the 50's if the whole family's sitting around eating TV dinners! I'm now obliged to cook and serve a meal whether I'm hungry or not.

I note two things about frozen dinners:
1. Suzanne3FC herself met with tremendous success using frozen dinners as the main component of her weight loss program.

2. The journals that WW provided have a sample day showing how you go about journaling your intake. The last version of the journals (before Winning Points--haven't seen the WP ones) had the person eating a Smart Ones Turkey Breast for lunch and a Smart Ones Chicken & Vegetables for dinner--along with extra veggies. Every page of the journal mentioned Smart Ones: "Smart ones make menu planning easy." "Smart Ones help keep you on track all day." "Smart ONes...for your peace of mind" "Balance your menu and your life with Smart Ones." "Smart Ones put you on the road to a healthier lifestyle." "You Can do it...with Smart Ones."

Now I'll admit I found that shameless marketing appalling, AND I was disappointed that they were not emphasizing learning to make good choices from the whole universe of available foods (what are you gonna do when you're some place you can't eat a Smart One?), BUT it's clear WW has no problem with eating frozen dinners for lunch AND dinner and maybe forever.

I favor Pretty in Pink's approach of using them for a SHORT TIME to get yourself focused and then transition to a real-food program like WW. I don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever.

And, I rarely mention this, but, as it happens, I am a doctor.

gdeann
03-17-2001, 05:49 PM
I agree with BUMBY!! I have been following this thread to read the input that everyone has to offer. As for my own personal plan, I am eating more then I ever have before on a diet, feeling more satified, using the healthy choice soups & frozen meals, plus adding fresh fruits & vegs. For me it has cut down on meal time stress of fixing two separate meals, plus portion control of which some of us need. I have not weighed, but since the beginning of the year I have went from a tight 16 to a 12. All that I can say is that it is working for me & I will continue. I follow this plan 90-95% of the time, allowing for occasional nights out or special treats. Personally I see nothing wrong with the plan, I'm eating so much healthier now then what got me into this mess in the first place. :) Good luck to EVERYONE posting on this thread.

Kelly_S
03-19-2001, 01:20 PM
Believe me I understand the portion control but why would anyone need to fix two separate meas? That concept just escapes me completely. I also think that with a little bit of effort you can make your own frozen meals (of which I have a bunch of recipes) that you get more nutrition(less sodium), more food and the same or less calories. I have used prepackaged frozen meals in a pinch (like forgetting my lu nch on the counter at home) but to me they aren't satisifying at all - too small. ;)

Bumby
03-19-2001, 03:18 PM
Kelly--
On preparing two separate meals--if you can't fathom why someone should do that, consider yourself a very lucky woman!

Either: 1) you are one of the lucky folks who can eat "all the same things as before, just smaller portions" and feel satisfied, and therefore have run into no conflicts with the others around your dinner table, or 2) you have a very accommodating family that is willing to eat your new choices, or 3)some combination of the two.

Boy, do I envy you!

Kelly_S
03-19-2001, 04:08 PM
Actually all my meals have pretty much been balanced and I've just learned portion control; my DH has always been willing (even before my W/W journey) to try at least 1 new recipe a week (what I did was pick several that I knew I'd like and let him pick the ones he'd like to try); and (since I started my W/W journey) I've been able to find a lower point version and my DH doesn't even know it is a healthy alternative to our favorites. ;)

Anyone who's significant other won't be willing to try to help the one they love better themself with healthier alternatives should be the one to fix the second meal! ;)

prettynpink
03-19-2001, 04:50 PM
All I have to say is thank you Bumby. You make a lot of sense. Everyone on here things WW is the greatest thing in the world and now that you've pointed out that WW promotes eating frozen foods for lunch and dinner I guess now they're hypocrites. What I can't understand is why any one cares if I choose to eat frozen dinners every day for the rest of my life-what does it have to do with them?
The people on this board are self-righteous and hypocritical and they get on my nerves.

brigette
03-19-2001, 04:58 PM
Oh, I'm sorry you feel that way about WW. I do think they are a great program; I was overweight for a long time and tried several other plans before I went with WW 123. I credit them with changing my life, really. However, every individual needs to find their own path.

Remember, there are over 11,000 personalities registered at 3FC now. And in every group there's bound to be at least a couple that get on your nerves. I know there are some here that grate on mine.... :D

Kelly_S
03-19-2001, 05:14 PM
PnP, Maybe it is because we care and don't want you to possibly get tired of eating them day in and day out. Also about the journals I just picked up some new journals from my meeting and they have omited all the Smart One's Coupons along with the Smart One sayings at the top. ;)

IF we are self-rightous or hypocritical, then so are you because you are saying that you moving on to W/W after you quit your Get Started diet? Here are some of your quotes (cut and pasted from your posts):

I'm going to stick with 123 and see if I have any results. However, I saw this diet on another board and the people there have had great success with it so I plan on giving it a try for a week starting next week to see if I have any success.
I'm motivated to do this right now but I'm not sure how long I will be able to do it. At least a week but I'm not sure about more. But if it jumpstarts me then that's fine. I plan to continue WW so I don't see myself gaining back anything that I might lose.
I don't plan on gaining it back because I will follow WW to continue to lose and since people think that WW is the "end all be all" of plans (you know who you are) there's no way I can gain the weight back right?
So who is hypocritical?

We never once said not to have them but you assumed that was what we were say. And you know what "assume" means - you make an a$$ out of you and me! LOL! ;) My thoughts are that you can make your own frozen means for

1) less cost than the ones you buy
2) with more nutrition and less sodium
3) more for for equal to or less calories
4) better taste

Oh one thing I keep meaning to ask you is to list the frozen meals you have that are 4 points because I was looking this weekend and couldn't find but 1 or 2 that were 4 or under. Or you could just PM me with the list. I like to see these some I can try to make one with more food and the same points. Thanks in advance.

Bumby
03-19-2001, 05:16 PM
Pretty in Pink,
I'm sorry you got the impression that "everyone" on this board thinks WW is the greatest thing in the world--there are a lot of WW members here, but also a lot of folks who have done and are doing other plans that work well for them. Also, I don't think folks who think WW is great and yet don't agree with every little detail of the program are hypocrites. Like Brigette, I found it worked for me but I don't subscribe to each and every one of its tenets! I lost weight on Slimfast, on calorie counting, on nothing-but-tomato-juice, you name it. But only on WW have I managed to KEEP IT OFF. Why? Probably not because of WW--probably because it was one of many healthy, real-food-based approaches to restrained eating, and it happened to be what I was doing when I was finally ready to hear the "click."

On a board of this size, several things are bound to happen:
1) You're going to be misconstrued by someone at some time and get unsolicited advice or undeserved criticism. It happens. People don't always read that carefully.

2) You're going to meet people you love and wish they lived nearby so they could be your best girlfriends and diet buddies for all time, people who just seem to be itchin' for a fight all the time who leave you shaking your head, and people who give you a royal pain. We get all kinds here. There will even be some people you like just fine some times and disagree with profoundly other times. The nice thing is, you have control over your interactions.

3) You may, if you post often, develop your own reputation--either as someone with something to offer (asking good questions or providing helpful answers) or someone with a bad attitude. I know you didn't mean to insult ALL the WW members on this board, but it might have sounded that way. I like to re-read my posts a few times to make sure I haven't been inadvertently insulting, but I always manage to step on people's toes by accident in ways I didn't anticipate.

I hope you'll join us on the WW boards when you begin the WW program in earnest, and you'll find a wide variety of interesting and helpful people. Everyone is really just trying to help.

Wolfangel
03-19-2001, 05:54 PM
Right on Bumby, Bridgette and Kelly_S!

We are just here to help. Some people LIKE frozen meals, some people don't...and some people tweak them.

All these posts are suggestions...take 'em or leave 'em!

hefty
03-19-2001, 09:56 PM
I think ww is healthier diet for everyone, but frozen dinners are good
if you are in a hurry and don't have time to cook real foood.
hefty

hefty
03-19-2001, 10:10 PM
i think w.w. is healthier diet. but frozen dinners are good if you're
in a hurry and don't have time to cook real food

MrsJim
03-19-2001, 10:44 PM
I really enjoy reading your posts, even more so now that I've found out you're a doctor!

My personal experience with Weight Watchers is so-so - I've joined at least five-six times at different periods in my life (starting back when I was 9 or 10). I think that Weight Watchers is more adept than most of the other programs out there in keeping up with nutritional information - and is reasonably priced for most people. However, for me personally, Weight Watchers isn't much of a help, mainly because I read just about everything that comes out regarding nutrition and weight loss - books, magazines, research etc. I already know how to eat healthy - so WW isn't giving me any information I don't already have. I get plenty of support from my husband, family members and of course this message board! Another thing is, that even with 1/2 hour meetings as opposed to the ones that would take up to 1 1/2 - 2 hours sometimes, it is still difficult for me to fit the meetings into my busy day.

But - I can see where WW would work for people. And, unlike other programs, buying all the extra stuff is optional - including the books, the scales, and the WW food products. As for frozen meals, I don't eat them often, since I don't even own a microwave at home and it takes so much energy and time to heat one of those dern things in the oven! And, for me the portions are often too small. For 350 calories I would rather have a plate of pasta topped with a good marinara sauce and a very large portion of fresh, lightly sauteed veggies, such as zucchini, tomatoes, mushrooms...okay, I'm ready to eat now!

Punky
03-19-2001, 11:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just thought this was an interesting subject and wanted to pop in. I enjoy frozen diet meals on occasion, I think they really help me out when I am in a pinch or when my kids want corn dogs and fries and I don't want to spend the points on it.

I would like to remind everyone that the 3fc have set down some rules for the boards and some of you may want to check them. This is a very diverse forum and is an easy area for arguments to pop up. Let's all try to respect eachothers feelings and opinions. Let's enjoy ourselves, life's too short.

Brenda

prettynpink
03-30-2001, 11:52 AM
I am no longer following this plan. I am eating low calorie and low fat however- and eat the frozen dinners for lunch.
Starting Weight- 189
Present Weight- 179
Goal Weight- 1st goal 165; 2nd goal 150

kurlytopp
03-31-2001, 09:43 AM
I understand P in P frustration with looking for support here. Why can't we just help each other in our endeavors.....?????? Trying to tell someone what they are losing instead of, "CONGRATULATIONS for doing a good job......... seems a tad critical! We are all here for the same reason, to get healthy. kurly