Old 12-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #1  

Default Help for bingeing?

Hi everyone....I feel a bit ridiculous asking for help about this. I CANNOT stop binge eating. It seems like every day when I get home from work I just need to eat, eat, eat!

I have gained 30 pounds in the last year! I've been trying to eat healthy and exercise, but it feels like its mentally impossible for me. My boyfriend of 2 years keeps saying he's "worried" and "doesn't know what to do to help" and I wish I knew what to tell him. I never want to do the things I love anymore.

I have always struggled with depression, but have sooo many side effects from anti-depressants. I tried paxil most recently and that was a nightmare. Lots of weight gain and feeling "blah."

Is this a case of just putting mind over matter?? Anyone else have this problem?? Needing some motivation and understanding!
Bell228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 178/177/150

Default Hi!

Hi,

Let me say first of all that I can totally relate. I am definately an emotional eater. I'm an emotional everything. For the last few years, I have been focusing on putting all my mental energy into exercise, which was great, but I still had some serious problems with binge eating.

Just like you, when I came home I would just eat and eat and eat. Sometimes, I could see from my hubby's expression that he was worried too.

We are very emotionally connected to our food, as strange as it sounds. I read this wonderful book called "Women, God, and Food" that forever changed my perceptions and understanding of what it is I put into my mouth.

As I have started to diet again, going home has become a constant worry. "What will I eat? How will I eat?"

I have yo-yo dieted for a loonnnggg time, with some major success in the past! I recently reached my highest weight yet, about 180. It was a sobering experience. I am not the number on the scale.

However, I've tried to learn when I "binge". Last night, I came home after work to eat 3 clementines, some choco pirouttes, and two big old mugs of chamomile tea.

If you have trouble to stop eating after work, DRINK CAFFFEINE FREE TEA. It's wonderful. I find that this has helped with my cravings. Also, allow yourself 200-300 calories for an after dinner snack if this is what you need.

At the end of the day, it just matters that you eat how many calories you have in your diet. It doesn't truly matter when, just make sure you eat breakfast, the most important meal of the day!
librarygirl111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #3  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

There is a support forum here for binge eaters, they might be able to offer some more insight.

However, I will offer hugs and say tomorrow is a new day to make better choices.

Good luck!

Last edited by Mozzy; 12-06-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #4  
Health and Happiness

S/C/G: Restart May 2012: 206/161/fit

Height: 5'5"

Are you eating enough during the day? Protein and fiber?

Are you eating a lot of sugary or starchy foods at breakfast or lunch?

I have some binge tendencies and have found a few things that help me. One is that I eat a lot of healthy food early in the day I try to ward off cravings caused by nutritional shortcomings. I seriously load myself up with veggies for breakfast and lunch. The nutrients and sheer volume both help.

I also pack healthy snacks that I put in my car to eat on my way home from wherever I go in order to never come home starving. It really takes the edge off. Even if I'm only leaving the house for an hour I will pack a bag of veggies and a piece of fruit just in case hunger strikes.

Another thing is, if you always tend to binge at the same time you could try to always keep busy then. I started going to a class at the gym during one of my problem times and it really helped.

And I don't keep any kind of food at home that I don't 100% trust myself around.

I know this is tough. Good luck!
GardenBurglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:59 AM   #5  

Height: 5'4

Check out the 'Chicks in Control' forum here on the site
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/186/160

Height: 5'7''

I hope you took the others' advice and looked into the Chicks in Control forum, I think you're on the right track though, recognizing a problem and trying to find help, good luck
domesticbliss is offline   Reply With Quote