Ideal Protein Diet - 10 pounds past my goal, hating it...

Skinnymini619
12-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Hey there I'm new. My names Char and I used to be 179 pounds... Like for all my teenage years, it was awful. Then I finally got down to 135 and was pretty happy, then I started fluctuating between 115-135 cause of stress, lack of money, etc. now I'm all the way down to 110 and I dont know what to do... I'm scared to be fat again but im really trying to eat and everyone says I look sick. It sucks. Everyone thinks I look like I'm on meth or something (which I most definitely am not lol). Anyways, I have struggled with my weight forever and needing to gain is not something I'm used to... Any suggestions for how to gain it back to 120 without getting fat again? I'm 18 and 5'5 by the way.

megscarles
12-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I think maybe you should see your doctor and get some advice on a proper diet to put on a few pounds in a healthy way. Good luck!

Misti in Seattle
12-06-2012, 08:09 AM
I agree that you should see your doctor and get some medical supervision

bargoo
12-06-2012, 08:58 AM
I agree you need a proper diet. What are you eating , now ? Are you eating three meals a day ? Does your diet consist of fresh fruits and vegies, lean meats, chicken and fish ? Do you include protein in your meals ? Are you exercising many hours a day ? How many calories a day are you eating ? Just some questions to help you figure out what you need to do. Good luck.

sahmmommy2
12-06-2012, 09:13 AM
Hey there I'm new. My names Char and I used to be 179 pounds... Like for all my teenage years, it was awful. Then I finally got down to 135 and was pretty happy, then I started fluctuating between 115-135 cause of stress, lack of money, etc. now I'm all the way down to 110 and I dont know what to do... I'm scared to be fat again but im really trying to eat and everyone says I look sick. It sucks. Everyone thinks I look like I'm on meth or something (which I most definitely am not lol). Anyways, I have struggled with my weight forever and needing to gain is not something I'm used to... Any suggestions for how to gain it back to 120 without getting fat again? I'm 18 and 5'5 by the way.

Do you have access to healthcare? Are you in school? If you don't have access to healthcare, maybe seek out the school counselor or an adult you trust.

I know someone who lost over 80lbs on IP, but then couldn't stop losing once they phased off. This may not be what's happening to you, but it is something to consider. They had to seek medical help to get things straightened out.

healthyequalshappy
12-06-2012, 09:17 AM
110 seems small for your height so for health reasons maybe see your doctor. However, not all doctors are nutritionists so to safely put on some lean body mass you could try meeting with a dietician.

patns
12-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I am not sure the poster was on IP. This was her first post she may have thought this was the general board.

Pat

Babybat
12-06-2012, 08:51 PM
eat food!
eat what you want and weigh yourself every week to make sure you don't go over your goal

JohnP
12-07-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't think a doctor can help. I think you need a psychiatrist.

You don't need someone to explain what a healthy diet looks like you need to get your head straight. This isn't said to be mean it is what I think.

To answer your question you can't add five lbs without adding fat. At 120 lbs however you would be very far away from "fat".

AZ247
12-07-2012, 06:02 AM

You don't need someone to explain what a healthy diet looks like you need to get your head straight. This isn't said to be mean it is what I think.

To answer your question you can't add five lbs without adding fat. At 120 lbs however you would be very far away from "fat".

I don't think JohnP is being mean, he's being factual and I absolutely agree with him.

sstw1
12-07-2012, 07:29 AM

Wow.....dial it down, dude. She's 18 - maybe she DOES need someone to explain a healthy diet. At 18, I didn't have a clue what sugar did to my body - let alone, fats, carbs, etc. I think you need to THINK before you TYPE. JMO...

mompattie
12-07-2012, 08:02 AM
I find it insulting to come to a weight loss board and ask how does a person gain weight. Ridiculous.

MustangMolly
12-07-2012, 08:11 AM

Are you kidding me?!?!? Why would you say a doctor can't help? I worked with a woman who was trying to lose weight and all of a sudden had great success, turned out she had cancer and that's what was causing the weight loss. And you can add weight without adding fat, it's called muscle building---and when comparing an equal mass of fat and muscle the muscel weighs more.

Anytime someone has unexplained weight loss seeing a doctor is the best thing to do.

maezy1
12-07-2012, 08:24 AM
I agree, go to your doctor ASAP to rule out anything physically wrong. I also agree with mompattie and JohnP. If it isn't physical then get some help FAST. You may have an eating disorder

patns
12-07-2012, 08:40 AM
I find it insulting to come to a weight loss board and ask how does a person gain weight. Ridiculous.

I think this very young poster just wandered into the wrong section. Eating disorders are a part of health. It sounds like she has a phobia about regaining the weight back and doesn't know how to mantain her weight in a healthy range.
I'm waaaaay older than this poster and am finding fiquring out maintaining to be a real puzzle.

ragdoll74
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Starting with her doctor is probably the best thing. Her doctor can check her out and also refer her to a nutritionist if it loos like her diet is not healthy or a therapist for help with the stress.

patns
12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
I agree, go to your doctor ASAP to rule out anything physically wrong. I also agree with mompattie and JohnP. If it isn't physical then get some help FAST. You may have an eating disorder

However, even if it is an eating disorder wouldn't seeing a doctor be the first step in getting help?
I doubt that the original poster has even come back to read all of this. I think she was in the wrong section of 3fc because she was a totally new poster.

joefla70
12-07-2012, 10:39 AM
I see a lot of advice being given to this girl based upon a VERY limited amount of information that she gave in her post. Of course it couldn't HURT for her to see a doctor and/or psychiatrist, but before I would give her any advice I would want to know more.

First, I would want to know what her diet consisted of before her weight loss, during her weight loss, and now. She may not have been on any "plan", but simply started to limit her calorie intake. As all of us know, there are different phases of weight loss plans which include a maintenance and stabilization phase. Perhaps now that she has lost the weight she has not changed her diet plan to increase her caloric intake in order to maintain her weight goal. She said she was afraid to change her eating habits because she is scared of gaining her weight back. She very well may need to get some counseling on this, and maybe for the other issues going on in her life which she said contributed to her undesired weight loss. But she may also need to see a dietician to set up a proper plan for her to (1) sensibly put back on those 10 pounds and (2) to maintain that weight once she gets back to her goal weight.

joefla70
12-07-2012, 10:56 AM
I think this very young poster just wandered into the wrong section. Eating disorders are a part of health. It sounds like she has a phobia about regaining the weight back and doesn't know how to mantain her weight in a healthy range.
I'm waaaaay older than this poster and am finding fiquring out maintaining to be a real puzzle.

I agree. A few years ago I tried out OA. Not knowing quite what to expect, I was surprised to see many young women at the meetings who were thin. I immediately wondered to myself "why are they here? They look great! I wish that I was where they were at!" As I later discovered from attending more and more meetings was that these young women were there for support with their battles against bulimia. (There were other thin people at the meetings who reached their goal weight, but continued to come to meetings for support in their ongoing efforts to maintain their goal weight).

My reaction was based upon my limited knowledge and understanding of eating disorders -- and also what OA was all about. I guess I just assumed that all people with an over-eating problem were fat like me. It wasn't until then that I realized that many people have issues with eating, like compulsive over-eating, and they come in all shapes and sizes. I also realized that in addition to people, like me, who have trouble limiting their eating, there are others who go to the other extreme and limit it far too much. Obviously both extremes are not good.

lessmeansmore
12-07-2012, 11:15 AM

Agreed, 100%.

Starshine
12-07-2012, 01:06 PM
Wow.....dial it down, dude. She's 18 - maybe she DOES need someone to explain a healthy diet. At 18, I didn't have a clue what sugar did to my body - let alone, fats, carbs, etc. I think you need to THINK before you TYPE. JMO...

I agree with this. At 18 many, maybe most people (at least in the US), don't know how to eat properly. I'm much older, and here I am just now learning how to eat correctly with my carb addiction (thanks to IP). She may need some counseling also, who wouldn't benefit from some help now and then?

Alexa1921
12-07-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi - I think its good to worry about weight. This is why we are all here, but like you mentioned now you are past your goal and too thin.

I understand you are afraid of gaining weight but unfortunately restricting food to the point that you are too thin and not healthy looking is taking it to the other extreme. I think as long as you have healthy 3 meals a day you will not gain weight past your goal. But you do need to work on getting rid of the obsession of food because you can easily get into a eating disorder which is the other extreme and something you don't want to go into, as it is physically and psychologically taxing.

You are young and healthy, so don't drive yourself crazy about this. Just eat healthy meals 3x a day (veggies, fruits, protein) and exercise every day for half hour and you will maintain your weight.

Determinedat47
12-07-2012, 09:51 PM

John- you just cannot catch a break no matter what you say or where you post can you?glad you are doing well and yourvprogram works for you.
:smug::smug:

libertybelle
12-08-2012, 11:08 AM
Please let me urge you to get to a clinic. What many people do not understand about anorexia is that you do not have to be completely and totally underweight to be anorexic. That is the end result. Hopefully one catches it before then if that is the problem.
More so, it is not a choice necessarily. Food and drink become more and more repulsive. It becomes so "disgusting" that one bite, one sip, can cause one to throw up. This is not something one can always overcome without help. But without getting a handle on it, a clinic, at minimum, is a foregone conclusion.