Ideal Protein Diet - Rotini pasta question and recipe

View Full Version : Rotini pasta question and recipe

thinkingthinner
12-05-2012, 01:29 PM
Hi everyone, i just had the rotini pasta for the first time today at lunch on a salad and LooooOooOOove it. It tasted just like whole wheat pasta! Yum! I just can't believe it is unrestricted. So that is my first question, is it?

Secondly what are you all doing with the rotini, any good recipe suggestions?

Thanks!!!

nobylspoon
12-05-2012, 01:38 PM
It is unrestricted. My coach explained it is due to the GI rating, not the carb count. This was new info for her as well because she thought carb content decided restricted vs non-restricted.

I make mine with a meat sauce:

1pg Rotini
8oz ground bison
1c fresh tomato
2c Bell Pepper (red and green)
1/2c onion

I puree the tomatos and bell pepper then cook it down with garlic and seasonings while the bison and rotini cook. I add in my onions at the end so they are still crunchy.

I half the pasta and sauce to split between lunch and dinner.

ragdoll74
12-05-2012, 01:41 PM
You can try a pomodoro sauce with it.This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so you might want to make a half batch, unless you have some people to share it with.

3 tablespoons olive oil
6 medium cloves of garlic smashed and roughly chopped
4 large vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1-2 teaspoons salt
basil leaves, julienned

Directions
1.The sauce should take about 5 minutes to cook, so time your pasta accordingly. Use the boiling water for the pasta to parboil the tomatoes for about 30 seconds to make them easy to peel.
2.Add the oil and garlic to a large frying pan and heat over high heat. Fry until the garlic is fragrant, but don’t let it brown. Add the tomatoes and sauté until the liquid left in the pan isn’t watery anymore. Add salt to taste.
3.When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the frying pan along with the basil. Toss to coat and serve immediately.

rainbowsmiles
12-05-2012, 01:42 PM
You can try a pomodoro sauce with it.This recipe makes a lot of sauce, so you might want to make a half batch, unless you have some people to share it with.

3 tablespoons olive oil
6 medium cloves of garlic smashed and roughly chopped
4 large vine ripened tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1-2 teaspoons salt
basil leaves, julienned

Directions
1.The sauce should take about 5 minutes to cook, so time your pasta accordingly. Use the boiling water for the pasta to parboil the tomatoes for about 30 seconds to make them easy to peel.
2.Add the oil and garlic to a large frying pan and heat over high heat. Fry until the garlic is fragrant, but don’t let it brown. Add the tomatoes and sauté until the liquid left in the pan isn’t watery anymore. Add salt to taste.
3.When the pasta is done, drain and add it to the frying pan along with the basil. Toss to coat and serve immediately.

yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ragdoll74
12-05-2012, 01:45 PM
yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

=) I love pomodoro, it's like bruschetta on pasta....I need to buy some of the IP rotini so I can enjoy this again.

jmuroff1
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
i used some garlic powder and sea salt and the wf tomato basil sauce

tobehealthy
12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Okay, so here goes a stupid question. Tomato is restricted right? And we can only have it twice a week? So is that a total of 2 cups of tomatoes a week? Or 4 cups a week? Please clarify because I really want tomato on my rotini, but this is my first time using a restricted veggie.

ddpaddler
12-05-2012, 02:08 PM
had some over the weekend.... great! didn't realize how much I missed pasta until I had some again. I tossed it with my 2 cups of veggies, olive oil and spices for a great cold pasta salad.

ddpaddler
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM
tobehealthy - the restricted veggies can be eaten twice a week, serving size would just be part of your 2 cups at that meal. Tomatoes are naturally high in sugars so eat sparingly.

az365
12-05-2012, 02:27 PM
tobehealthy - the restricted veggies can be eaten twice a week, serving size would just be part of your 2 cups at that meal. Tomatoes are naturally high in sugars so eat sparingly.

Not sure what this means. Are you saying 2 cups max per week or 2 cups per meal twice a week (4 cups).

JaxDomino
12-05-2012, 02:40 PM
I think they mean 2 cups per meal.

tobehealthy
12-05-2012, 04:33 PM
So could you do one cup four times a week?

ragdoll74
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I think it's supposed to be 1 cup, twice a week. 1 cup of tomato has 4g of sugar as opposed to 2g for 1 cup of cauliflower.

scorbett1103
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM
Okay, so here goes a stupid question. Tomato is restricted right? And we can only have it twice a week? So is that a total of 2 cups of tomatoes a week? Or 4 cups a week? Please clarify because I really want tomato on my rotini, but this is my first time using a restricted veggie.

It is two 1-cup servings of restricted veggies per week.

thinkingthinner
12-05-2012, 06:08 PM
Great info everyone! Thank you for the clarification, and the wonderful recipe ideas! I can't wait until next week to order more!

maezy1
12-07-2012, 04:57 PM
My coach just told me that the pasta is restricted

lisa32989
12-07-2012, 05:18 PM
My coach just told me that the pasta is restricted
That must be your coach's rule. It is not considered restricted by IP

maezy1
12-07-2012, 06:40 PM
Lisa - ur a coach too aren't you? IP says unrestricted ?

scorbett1103
12-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Your coach is incorrectly looking at the TOTAL carbs, not the NET carbs. Dietary fiber is not digested and does not count towards your daily carbs.

Here is the post where Rainbow actually attached a picture of the nuitritional info from the side of the box:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/4534120-post1.html

The product has 12g carbs, with 5g dietary fiber.
12g-5g = 7g NET carbs = unrestricted

maezy1
12-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Scorbett - the nutritionist only goes by the total carbs. she doesn't subtract dietary fiber. She says that's old school thinking.....My thoughts are if IP says it is unrestricted then my center can say whatever they want, Im eating it as unrestricted.

scorbett1103
12-07-2012, 08:28 PM
Scorbett - the nutritionist only goes by the total carbs. she doesn't subtract dietary fiber. She says that's old school thinking.....My thoughts are if IP says it is unrestricted then my center can say whatever they want, Im eating it as unrestricted.

LOL it's not old school, it's science. Dietary fiber is not absorbed by the body, period. The IP guidelines for restricted/unrestricted go by net carbs (with the exception of the soy nuts, which are unrestricted by net carbs but higher in fat and so treated as restricted).

ddd849
12-07-2012, 10:43 PM
Mom I tried the WF Alfredo sauce today. I thought it was very good -tasted cheesey. I would use this even post-IP.

ljm11
12-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Sorry I'm new but was wondering if had the answer to this...just got a sample packet of Rotini but don't know how to prepare- how much water, cook time etc. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

ljm11
12-08-2012, 01:07 PM
I was told IP doesn't consider it restricted but my coach told me she wants us to treat it as such...contains gluten etc...I think it is a matter of who your coach is and philosophy, but IP says unrestricted. I am going to eat sparingly to be safe

scorbett1103
12-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I was told IP doesn't consider it restricted but my coach told me she wants us to treat it as such...contains gluten etc...I think it is a matter of who your coach is and philosophy, but IP says unrestricted. I am going to eat sparingly to be safe

That's interesting - does your coach also consider the Tomato Basil Soup, Chicken Patty mix, and Crispy Cereal to be restricted for that reason? These are all unrestricted items that contain gluten/wheat.

lisa32989
12-08-2012, 04:01 PM
Sorry I'm new but was wondering if had the answer to this...just got a sample packet of Rotini but don't know how to prepare- how much water, cook time etc. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

Cook it like pasta

lisa32989
12-08-2012, 04:06 PM
Lisa - ur a coach too aren't you? IP says unrestricted ?

Wuvtobeloved is the Lisa who is a coach
She isn't spending as much time around here these days

loopers
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM
I was at my mom's for lunch today, and she made spaghetti with homemade sauce for herself and my man... and I was trying to figure out what IP food I would have when I rememebered I bought rotini on Friday! So I cooked it up and had a scoop of mom's sauce and a nice salad - and it was SOOOOO GOOOD. I didn't realize how much I missed my mom's pasta sauce :D

I think I'll make up some pomodoro tomorrow night for Tuesday's lunch, it sounds amazing! Or, do a "chinese noodle" thing with chicken, peppers, celery, soy sauce, maybe some ginger... the possibilities are endless!

Great Dane
12-10-2012, 12:50 PM
So has anyone done a side by side taste test of the IP rotini vs the Proti-Thin Fusilli? My fusilli order comes in today and tonight I'm picking up a single serve of the rotini at my WI. I might do the test over the next couple of days if no one else has. Just curious if the IP rotini tastes twice as good at twice the cost of the Proti-Thin!!!

My main concern with both pastas is how high the protein content is by itself!! What is the max protein grams we should be having at a meal? (like if I added some tuna would I be going way over the legal limit??)

Other stuff for comparison here:
IP rotini - 150 cal, 12g carb, 5g fiber for 7g net carbs, 2.5g fat, 20g protein $4.50 a serving
Proti-Thin fusilli - 130 cal, 7g carb, 2g fiber for 5g net carbs, 2g fat, 20g protein. $2.15 a serving

ragdoll74
12-10-2012, 01:17 PM
So has anyone done a side by side taste test of the IP rotini vs the Proti-Thin Fusilli? My fusilli order comes in today and tonight I'm picking up a single serve of the rotini at my WI. I might do the test over the next couple of days if no one else has. Just curious if the IP rotini tastes twice as good at twice the cost of the Proti-Thin!!!

My main concern with both pastas is how high the protein content is by itself!! What is the max protein grams we should be having at a meal? (like if I added some tuna would I be going way over the legal limit??)

Other stuff for comparison here:
IP rotini - 150 cal, 12g carb, 5g fiber for 7g net carbs, 2.5g fat, 20g protein $4.50 a serving
Proti-Thin fusilli - 130 cal, 7g carb, 2g fiber for 5g net carbs, 2g fat, 20g protein. $2.15 a serving

I don't think you have to worry about going over on protein.

Can you please post how the two compare after you try both? I got the proti-thin fusili on Saturday. I liked it, but am not sure if I boiled it long enough. It said for 12 minutes on the package, but it was a little chewy. I'm wondering if I need to boil it longer next time, or if that is how it is supposed to come out.

I still savored every bite of it :) I haven't had pasta since June.

Great Dane
12-10-2012, 01:59 PM
but it was a little chewy.
Chewy like whole wheat pasta? That's what I am expecting. Chewier than that? Hmmmm. I guess I could get used to it!! I am sooooooo looking forward to a tuna pasta salad with chopped up celery or a hot tuna pasta casserole or a baked pasta with my spaghetti sauce (as soon as I pencil out with my ingredients what a serving - post adding the pasta is...) Alas, still no cheese!

Great Dane
12-11-2012, 12:12 AM
Ok...Tonight I tried the Proti-Thin Fusilli. Prepared it as instructed by adding to boiling water and cooking for 12 minutes. I added a smidge of canola oil and salt to the water like I usually do for pasta. At 12 minutes I drained the pasta and immediately stirred in 1/2 can of tuna (my coach said only use a half can since the noodles are so high in protein), about 1/3 c of chopped celery (it is my breakfast meal so I didn't need my 2C) enough WF mayo to moisten it all and salt and pepper. In the 30 seconds it took to stir in my pre-prepped other ingredients, the pasta went cold. Cold fast. Doesn't hold heat! So I ended up with a cold tuna pasta salad.

The noodles (at least my experience) have the texture of thick wet cardboard and about as much taste. That said, they were an OK vehicle for the protein. If I have time at 5:30 am tomorrow I'll make the IP rotini and report back on my impressions.

nolegirl150
12-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Boil water on the stove in a pot, add the rotini and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. I find that cooking it 12 or 13 minutes gives a better texture for me but you can always try it at 10 and cook until it's the texture (softness or firmness) you like.

thinkingthinner
12-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Im anxious to hear how the taste-test goes...we should have a separate forum for comparing all similar foods that are out there! What a great idea! Im a fan of savings money where I can! I def. am going to try the tuna casserole! Thanks!

NinjaNurse
12-11-2012, 09:14 PM
I MUST remember the pasta tomorrow.

momof2greatcats
12-11-2012, 10:45 PM
Boil water on the stove in a pot, add the rotini and let it cook for 10-12 minutes. I find that cooking it 12 or 13 minutes gives a better texture for me but you can always try it at 10 and cook until it's the texture (softness or firmness) you like.
Glad to see this posted, as I too got one packet of the rotini today at my weigh in and then there were no instructions on it!
Made it for dinner tonight (my coach called me back w/ the instructions from the box - wonder if I'm her first client who tried it).
I had leftover sauteed red and green peppers (and a few sauteed onion bits) on it and with a goodly dose of fresh ground pepper and some Real Salt and a shake of Parmesan cheese (my coach allows me 1 oz of cheese on days I exercise) it was pretty decent. I'll definitely try it again.

Great Dane
12-12-2012, 02:21 PM
This morning I tried the IP Rotini. Prepared it as instructed by adding to boiling water and cooking for 12 minutes. Again I added a smidge of canola oil and salt to the water like I usually do for pasta. At 12 minutes I drained the pasta and immediately stirred in 1/3 C of my homemade 10+ hour spaghetti sauce.

The IP noodles (makes approx the same amount), to me have a bit better texture and taste. A tiny bit better. Not as cardboard. Like if my favorite store bought pasta's, Barilla and De Cecco are rated as 10's on a scale where 10 is the best, I'd give the IP pasta a 3 and the Proti pasta a 2. I'm Italian. I can be VERY FUSSY about my pasta! (like I'd rank the macaroni in Kraft Mac and Cheese higher than these two...)

But because I am a cheap skate I will continue with the Proti and not the IP pasta.

ragdoll74
12-12-2012, 02:34 PM
Great Dane- thanks for the feedback on the two types. I'll stick with the proti-thin ones too.

I made the proti-thin ones again the other night and let them boil longer than 12 minutes, they were a little better this time.

missymatt
12-12-2012, 05:04 PM
I am loving the pasta! For lunch I make it and then spray it with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray. So yummy!

JODIO
12-13-2012, 01:15 AM
I can't believe I now NEED pasta! I didn't miss it till I saw it was available! lol

southern
12-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Tasted as I expected. Like whole grain. Nothing like the real stuff I was addicted to before, but a tasty substitute that I would buy again

rainbowsmiles
12-13-2012, 06:31 AM
I MUST remember the pasta tomorrow.

yes.....you MUST think of the PASTA-BILITIES!!! :D

MrsRosemary
05-07-2013, 04:02 PM
So to save time, I cooked all the pasta and figured I'd keep it in the refrigerator till I make my husbands lunch. Except now I have no idea how much a serving should be! I don't have a scale so I can't measure it out, any ideas? Someone want to empty a pack into a measuring cup for me?

ragdoll74
05-07-2013, 04:29 PM
So to save time, I cooked all the pasta and figured I'd keep it in the refrigerator till I make my husbands lunch. Except now I have no idea how much a serving should be! I don't have a scale so I can't measure it out, any ideas? Someone want to empty a pack into a measuring cup for me?

Put all of it in a big measuring cup to see how much it is. Then divide that by how many packets you cooked to find out what the serving size is.

SKfarmgirl
08-24-2013, 06:53 PM
I watched Chef Verati today and his rotini recipe was:
Cook rotini, cooled - cooked 2-4 min
1 cup cucumber
1/4 cup tomato
1/4 cup red pepper
a bit of cafe ginger (sushi)
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp mustard
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
smoked paprika
salt/pepper
Need to try this

mom2sparky
08-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Glad to see this post about the rotini. I prepared my today in the microwave, according to a sheet I received from my counselor that lists all the basic foods and how to prepare them (puddings, drinks, soups, etc.). It said to mix the pasta with 5-6 ounces of water and then microwave for 2-3 minutes. It was just awful! The taste was okay, but I could not get past the tough chewy texture. I am definitely going to go the extra mile and boil it next time.

JLUS
08-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Glad to see this post about the rotini. I prepared my today in the microwave, according to a sheet I received from my counselor that lists all the basic foods and how to prepare them (puddings, drinks, soups, etc.). It said to mix the pasta with 5-6 ounces of water and then microwave for 2-3 minutes. It was just awful! The taste was okay, but I could not get past the tough chewy texture. I am definitely going to go the extra mile and boil it next time.

Definitely boil it! I don't know why they would even suggest microwave. I know if you boil it you will be happier w/results. It IS a chewier texture than most pasta but when mixing w/veggies, olive oil, spices or even using no sugar added tomatoes or tomato sauce, it is very satisfying! I also use cold w/tuna and veggies for a cold dinner salad.

SweetScrumptious
08-24-2013, 08:14 PM
I made a pasta salad!

Used walden farms ranch dressing, mixed white vinegar and a ton of dried dill. Added broccoli, different colored peppers, celery, and red onions (or whatever veggie you desire). Pretty delicious !

Lolo70
08-25-2013, 12:52 AM
I guess I am too European. I only use the microwave for storing my cat's treat because it is the only door she cannot open. I also use it for incubating my home-made yogurt since with the light on the inside of the microwave heats up and keeps the milk at an ideal temperature.

The rotini definitely need 12-15 min in boiling water. I like them with a tomato sauce: I mix some anchovies in a bit of their oil with crushed garlic and hot pepper flakes and capers and let it simmer until the anchovies fall apart. Then I add some canned or fresh tomatoes and cook for a couple of minutes.