Living Maintenance - Maintaining Momentum through the Holidays!

ICUwishing
12-03-2012, 11:10 AM
Thank you for the title idea, Andrea!

This is the thread for maintainers who are looking for a little extra accountability and support beyond the chat thread while we navigate the traditional holiday pitfalls, and/or wrestle with those stubborn few (or not few) pounds keeping us from our goal ranges!

bargoo
12-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Thank you for the title idea, Andrea!

This is the thread for maintainers who are looking for a little extra accountability and support beyond the chat thread while we navigate the traditional holiday pitfalls, and/or wrestle with those stubborn few (or not few) pounds keeping us from our goal ranges!

And for that little extra nudge we might need to stay the course.

alinnell
12-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Stubborn for sure!

I'm maintaining momentum and trying not to gain this holiday season. I can't gain! I have to be ready for swimsuit wearing the second week of January!

ICUwishing
12-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm going to continue with my weekly weight averages - my most recent is my lowest at 146.9, and "heightened awareness" during the holidays. I feel like I'm in a good spot; the last major hurdle is to disengage my fanny from my couch on a routine basis. Toward that end, believe it or not I did complete a 5K (peer pressure) on Saturday, :lol: and I have a Jinglefest mug to prove it! What really surprises me is that I would consider doing more, as running when it's 50 degrees was actually not an unpleasant experience.

alinnell
12-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Running when it's cool outside is the best, isn't it? When I was running 3x a week, there were times when I just wanted to bag it. Imagine getting up at 5 AM or earlier and heading out when it hits you--80 degrees and humid. Nothing slows you down more than heat and humidity! Sometimes I think even the dog wanted to bag it. But in the end, it was my own psyche that put an end to the morning running. I seriously scared myself into not going any longer. I kept imagining getting attacked (even with my big black dog at my side). I had my headlight on my hat so I could navigate between streetlights and I knew where every streetlights was. I seriously ran hard between lights because in the light was the only place I felt safe. I kind of wish I hadn't scared myself so much. I kind of miss running. But then again, I don't know if Chico could manage running for that distance and I don't know if Misty would be up for it either. I guess I'll stick with the monotony of the treadmill.

freelancemomma
12-03-2012, 01:34 PM
I definitely need the extra accountability after gaining 5 pounds (following a week of out-of-town business meetings with lots of gourmet foods -- my weakness). It'll be hard to drop the pounds this month, with all the festivities coming up, but I'm up for it.

Hurdle number one: Sushi dinner this Friday to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. I always get the all-you-can-eat option, but this time I plan to get a big bowl of Asian noodle/vegetable soop instead. If I can do that, I can do anything! I'll let you guys know how I did.

F.

ICUwishing
12-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Allison, I would be spooked by that too. Treadmills are boring in a nice safe way, and there's always tunes and TV!

Running in the dark wouldn't even be an option out where I live - there are NO streetlights, or sidewalks. Or light pollution. DS13 also did the 5K, and he enjoyed it (and beat me by 6 minutes!). If my own kid was barking at me to go running with him, I'd probably go. :D Not today, though - I'm rather stiff!

alinnell
12-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Becky~I can't tell you how stiff I was from the Turkey Trot! Three whole days of stiffness. It really messed up my golf game!

But this weekend's golfing was much better! Last week I was 80. Saturday with one birdie and only one par, I was 75 and then Sunday after 7 pars I was 70. DH said he'd like to see me get into the sixties. Gee, this shaving points from my score is like shaving pounds from my body!

traveling michele
12-03-2012, 03:22 PM
All you can eat sushi? I've never had that-- it would be dangerous for me-- I can put away the sushi!

I'm over my RED line by 2 pounds. Must get back under.....sigh....

krampus
12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
All you can eat sushi is THE BEST. I might make it a "once yearly" tradition. I've been promising my bf "we can go when I'm under 125" and I have been under 125 some days of the week for months now.

Including now!!!!!! Thanksgiving bloat is finally gone and my back is better.

Mudpie
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Back in the days when I could run (without something cracking, snapping, or popping LOL) I ran 6 - 8K every morning with my dog. She was a sheperd mix but looked totally German sheperd. I never had any fear of being anywhere in the dark or in isolated places. I had several women ask me about it but I just was not afraid. I didn't expect the dog to protect me either, although it turned out she would, with a vengeance. Weird.

Now I am more afraid. I live in a slightly different part of town - crack addicts and gang guys are sometimes around - and it feels less safe than where I grew up. It's only about 3K away but there have been rapes and muggings and a couple of murders. Lots of B & E's and bank robberies.

Dagmar :dizzy:

WardHog
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
I used to love to run before my hip went bad and there were a couple of times running alone when I felt not so safe. Mainly from dogs, but people, too. I used to tell my DH what route I was taking, but he didn't really pay attention!

My friend and I went out very early one Sunday morning; it was still dark. We parked our cars in the usual meeting place and took off along our usual route. We didn't get very far until we came upon a recently wrecked SUV. The car was about 12 feet off the road and had jumped the curb, gone through some landscaping and hit a brick wall. We couldn't see into the car, but we were yelling, "Hello" and a guy answered that he was stuck in the car.

So she stayed there and I ran back to my car and got my cell phone, ran back and called 911. The 911 operator had me go over and try to ask the guy questions. I had to kind of climb through the destroyed shrubs and over bricks to get close enough, and also the car was still hot and smoking. Anyway, the guy was incoherent and could not really answer the questions so I was like, could you just send someone?

We waited about five minutes and then about three police cars, a firetruck and an ambulance all come tearing up the street with sirens and lights. The emergency workers got busy right away so we went off on our run. We came back by about an hour later and one of the firetrucks was still there. We asked about the guy in the car and he said that his arm was crushed under the car and they had to use the jaws of life to get him out. And also that he had lost a lot of blood but was "feeling no pain".

Anyway, good thing we didn't leave for that run a few minutes earlier!

saef
12-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Ward, thank goodness for you & your friend. Did you ever hear what happened after that? It's the kind of thing where, had it been me in that SUV, I would have sent you all a bunch of flowers & a nice note afterward.

I had a somewhat similar experience to Ward's about two years ago in a park that runs along the Bronx River Parkway -- only I came along much later, during daylight, after the injured already had been carried away but while the SUV was still untowed & lodged, where it had come to rest, against some rocks, with an impressive set of tire tracks having churned up the park lawns. People were still standing around staring at it, talking about what had happened, as I ran by. Most of them had been out walking dogs. I definitely felt shivery and nervous after seeing that.

That seemed to be an isolated incident. I feel fairly safe running here, but I am always highly aware & cautious, just because it's a good idea in this area under all conditions & at all times. There are a lot of extremely wealthy people here and a lot of extremely poor people very close by. That leads to friction and, well, occasional incidents. But also to a lot of police on patrol. To be honest, I worry more about getting hit by a car (which has actually happened to me & to several people I know here) rather than about being mugged or assaulted.

Have any of you ever read a book, "The Gift of Fear"? I recommend it highly. It's about observing, paying attention to your instincts rather than talking yourself out of listening to your inner voice, and asserting yourself, rather than receding & being "polite" and even apologetic.

Mudpie
12-04-2012, 06:24 AM
saef I have been afraid of a lot of things in my life and it has kept me from doing a lot and reaching my full potential. Is the book you're recommending about overcoming the fear?

saef
12-04-2012, 07:02 AM
Dagmar, no, this book is about physical, visceral fear over very immediate causes, like strangers in parking garages and situations you'd encounter if you were out running alone.

It's not about that bigger, almost existential fear that I suspect you're talking about, and with which I am also very familiar: My anxiety about being wrong, failing, falling, or being reprimanded or laughed at, which leads to my reining myself in, not working at full potential & living a smaller, more constricted & less joyous life.

Now that book is definitely out there, because I know we're not the only ones who think we are holding ourselves back. But I don't know what it is. If I ever find it, I'll tell you.

Mudpie
12-04-2012, 08:20 AM
Dagmar, no, this book is about physical, visceral fear over very immediate causes, like strangers in parking garages and situations you'd encounter if you were out running alone.

It's not about that bigger, almost existential fear that I suspect you're talking about, and with which I am also very familiar: My anxiety about being wrong, failing, falling, or being reprimanded or laughed at, which leads to my reining myself in, not working at full potential & living a smaller, more constricted & less joyous life.

Now that book is definitely out there, because I know we're not the only ones who think we are holding ourselves back. But I don't know what it is. If I ever find it, I'll tell you.

Thank you saef. I'll do the same. I was curious and did a search on Amazon for books on overcoming fear. Most of the titles the search came up with involve religious belief. Interesting and quite surprising, for me.

Dagmar :coolsnow:

bargoo
12-04-2012, 08:26 AM
Ward, bless you and you friend for staying and doing what you could. Too many people are afraid to "get involved ".

traveling michele
12-04-2012, 11:26 AM
I don't know if I'm gaining momentum-- perhaps in the wrong direction.
Weight is going up and up again. Puts me in such a foul mood.

I couldn't exercise yesterday due to trying to pick up the mini cooper-- it taking longer than expected coupled with bad traffic-- plus I ache all over....

I was late getting to work today because I kept changing outfits because nothing looked good. Bah Humbug.

Better get my arse with it today!

ICUwishing
12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Michele, I hear ya - I was there earlier this year, and couldn't get it turned around until July. I don't know if what I have is "momentum" - it's more like the way a glacier moves. :D

I've read excerpts from "The Gift of Fear" and it sounds like a great book. I am currently working on "The Places that Scare You" by Pema Chodron, trying to get past my own stall points. It's a hard read for me and going slowly, as the message is very simple but I don't have much context to attach it to. Martha Beck also addresses fear in "Finding Your Own North Star", which has become one of my favorites. The exercises in it have caused me both incredible discomfort and truly shattering paradigm shifts.

146.5 today. I updated my weekly average graph and since July, my trend is about a pound down every five weeks. Definitely not a best-seller type of plan! :lol:

krampus
12-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Ward, bless you and you friend for staying and doing what you could. Too many people are afraid to "get involved ".

I never understood this. How can you live with yourself knowing you turned away from someone who needed help desperately? It's not hard to call 911 and say where the incident is.

Fortunately there aren't many emergencies in my direct path, but when they do happen (domestic disturbances, homeless people lying comatose on the sidewalk, etc) I don't really consider ignoring it an option.

Shannon in ATL
12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Michele, I'm completely gaining momentum in the wrong direction.

Ward - I'm glad that you guys didn't leave a little earlier! I have a friend who was jogging downtown a couple of years ago and an SUV jumped the curb and crushed him between it and a retaining wall alongside the road.

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2012, 01:39 PM
Did I kill the thread? Eek.

ICUwishing
12-05-2012, 01:47 PM
It lost momentum. Momentarily. :lol3:

I overdid the 'nog a bit last night - had to get the first 3 and innermost strings of lights on the tree, and needed something to kill the pain. Actually, I've finally found a great pair of leather gloves, and they took the brunt of it. My forearms still look I stuck them in an ant nest, but hey, it's Christmas, right? ;)

The siding project starts/started today. I don't know for sure, I'm not home. Hopefully if there were an issue, the phone would ring! My nosy neighbor will give me a full report later, I'm sure.

I really need to schedule a massage. This whole month makes me hyperventilate. No holiday should require a month of preparation for "meeting the standards."

krampus
12-05-2012, 02:16 PM
MMMMM 'nog. I had it (spiked) for the first time last year. Going to pretend it doesn't exist save for maybe one evening this year.

Last night I went out to sushi, had my share (1 block of cold tofu, 2 modest sized rolls of 6 and 8 each) and found myself inhaling my boyfriend's leftover beef donburi and then eating 2 servings of ice cream (two different kinds - but one was freeze-dried so it doesn't count, am I correct?!). Today I intend to take it a little easier - go to the gym, cook dinner, and work on Christmas cards.

alinnell
12-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Freeze-dried ice cream? What the heck is that?

Ah, 'nog. Can't go there.

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2012, 03:27 PM
I've had freeze dried ice cream, it is the little pellets right? Though I think they can make it in different shapes. Space Dots or something?

I love eggnog. My ex-uncle used to make it homemade. We were all very upset when he and my aunt got divorced because we lost the eggnog hookup.

ICUwishing
12-05-2012, 03:34 PM
Never understood the allure of the freeze-dried ice cream, but I think I tried it when it first came out - didn't register as something worth eating. Now, eggnog, different story! :drool: I have reduced my quantity over the years, but upped the quality. It has to be a premium organic brand with full fat (or home-made), must be spiked with dark rum, and must have fresh nutmeg grated on it. Indulgent? Ohhhh yeah. And so rich, it's safely self-limiting. I am a full-fledged eggnog snob! :lol:

Shannon in ATL
12-05-2012, 03:41 PM
I have bought silk nog the last few years - I think I've finally realized that isn't worth it. This year I tried the Horizon Organics lowfat eggnog, it is pretty good. I'm somewhat craving the full fat, though. I do put ground nutmeg and cinnamon on top of any I drink, even the silk nog. My dad used to spike his with white lightning - I have fond memories of drinking that with him. :)

freelancemomma
12-05-2012, 04:26 PM
No holiday should require a month of preparation for "meeting the standards."

Screw the standards, I say! I've been working on this my whole life, and it's liberating to realize you really don't have to keep up with the Joneses or anyone else. Some people love decorating for holidays, but I don't -- so I don't do it! Same goes for holiday parties, sending out cards, and spending extravagant sums of money on gifts for the neighbour and her dog. For me and my family the holidays are short, simple and intimate. Everything I need to do will get done in the 3-4 days before Xmas.

Some of the world's most interesting people swim against the tide. The only standards worth meeting are your own, IMO.

F.

freelancemomma
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM
Last night I went out to sushi, had my share (1 block of cold tofu, 2 modest sized rolls of 6 and 8 each)

I would knock you out of the park in a sushi-eating contest! Right now I'm facing a dilemma. We're going out to our favourite sushi place on Friday to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. At the beginning of the week I weighed in at 144 lbs, which is over my red line, so I vowed to order only a couple of small items from the menu. This morning I was down to 140 lbs, so the all-you-can-eat option is beckoning... What to do, what to do?

F.

ICUwishing
12-06-2012, 05:09 PM
freelance, you are absolutely right. I am not in a position to "come out of the closet" with how I feel about the holiday and the wretched spectacle of consumerism it's become. Correcting this to my ideals will require a divorce, a death, and an intervention. I'm only slightly kidding. :D I've threatened (idly) for many years to flee the country after Thanksgiving dinner and not return until January.

Sushi - yummmmmm! My favorite are the spicy specialty rolls, like the Caterpillar (wrapped in avocado). It's an infrequent treat but one I deeply enjoy. Now you have me thinking about it! :drool:

Tonight's the first night of the week with nothing on the schedule. I need to use it wisely - and not fall prey to the recliner, fuzzy throw, snifter of single malt, and iPad. At least not until I can justify it as a reward for all the stuff I get done tonight!

alinnell
12-06-2012, 05:47 PM
With the amount of work I've been doing at work each day lately, I am prone to the fuzzy throw albeit with a glass of wine rather than the single malt. Suffice it to say it's been crazy here!

I have, however, gotten a lot done each day after work and before dinner hits the table. One day I got all (all!--there were seven) Christmas presents wrapped. One day I finally got the dog's nails trimmed (granted that's only 3 legs). And I've managed to keep the litter boxes clean.

I have to admit that this year, as we have for the past two years, we are not putting up a Christmas tree. The first year was due to having Ringo as a kitten. The second year was due to Louie being a kitten. This year is because DD isn't coming home for Christmas. Excuses, I know, but it sure makes things easier for me! We are putting up outside lights on Friday and I will put out some decorations--just no tree.

JayEll
12-06-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't have a tree ever, because I don't want one, and I don't need any "excuses."

It's possible for everyone to do this if they want, but for most folks peer pressure and family pressure is just too great.

Mudpie
12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Ah Christmas. I don't know how I did it all those years. For 12 Christmas holiday seasons I did a live-in with a big labrador. Lovely dog. I visited my family on Christmas eve (1-3 hours driving depending on whose house it was at), then went off and visited DH's family (4 hours driving) on Christmas Day. All the while staying at the dog's house, looking after him, working, doing the Christmas stuff, etc. etc.

The first thing to go was baking. I simply could not fit it in anywhere. The drive to DH's family when they moved 6 hours one way away went next. Then my cousin suggested that, since the youngest "child" was now 15, we draw names and give one gift each to family.

Then I discovered pre-cooked hams and turkeys. About the same time I could afford to buy them.

This year is so crazy (with my father's shenanigans, getting the house ready to sell, etc.) that sending Christmas cards is gone.

One thing I will never give up is the tree. To me that is the most important thing at Christmas. I spend a relaxed evening decorating while Christmas music plays. DH goes away somewhere or naps in another room (he doesn't like Christmas music). I sit and watch the tree quietly glow and shimmer while eating my ginger snaps and drinking a glass of shiraz after the tree is decorated, while the Mormon Tabernacle choir sings the old favourite carols in the background.

It really IS "peace on earth" for me for that little while.

Dagmar :tree:

kittycat40
12-06-2012, 07:03 PM

I have had a few of those moments and I try to always listen to myself. A vibe is a vibe. But it is so scary! I park near lights, I try not to go to a mall alone in the dark. I try to park outside instead of in the cement multilevel areas. I have hastened my step to a near jog when concerned about safety and personal space in outside park or transit areas. It can be a scary world.

Wow, do I sound as neurotic as I think I do?

Well, catching up on the task at hand. I have been mostly successful in my plan to get back on track. Need 4ish to get back to recent low comfort point.

Fairly stressing this holiday season. A bit jangled (my dh's term- i think it is very descriptive)

xoK

Shannon in ATL
12-07-2012, 12:23 PM
I do love the decorations once they are in place, but I also tend to kill myself getting them up there. For the last several years I've put aside a day where I send the boys out of the house and I pull out all the tubs and boxes and bags and get the decorations out and about, assemble trees, string lights, etc. When they get home they then help me decorate the tree. Before they get home the close to 20 tubs, three tree boxes and all assorted bags and etc must be back put away in the attic or storage. Decorations will be almost complete, with just a few left for DSS to help with. When he was younger he used to say it was like magic - when he left there was nothing, when he returned 5-6 short hours later it was Christmas. Poof. Yeah. Not so much. I let him help last year when I was pulling everything down because DH had hurt his back and couldn't take DSS out of the house. It was complicated to say the least. This year I went back to doing it all solo. I don't know which was easier. Like Dagmar I pump holiday music on the speakers, drink some nog or cocoa and enjoy the experience. Once it is said and done I sit with DH in the evening and drink a glass of wine by the light of the tree and I'm happy. I have decorations on the mantel from my grandmother and great grandmother's houses, I have things scattered through the house from friends and family. It makes me feel closer to people who aren't here anymore. My mom brought me up to be a 'little bit of Christmas in every room' person, so I have LOTS of decorations. And every year at clean up time I tell myself that next year I'll keep it under control. Then I put it all back out again. LOL

kc -I do the same thing when I'm out places alone. I don't think it makes us neurotic, I think it makes us aware. Hope the jangled feeling settles for you! I feel jangled this season myself, I'm going to borrow DH's word for it in my conversations. ;)

WardHog
12-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I am hoping to get my artificial tree put together and get the lights on before my DD gets home from school today. DS is going home with a friend for a sleepover and she is very jealous, so decorating the tree can be something fun she can do while he's not here. I have a lot fewer decorations this year than I did last year because last year the dog ate anything that looked remotely edible. All the little ornaments the kids made in pre-school were casualties. I hate the clutter of the tree but I grin and bear it for the kids.

saef
12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I have a lot fewer decorations this year than I did last year because last year the dog ate anything that looked remotely edible.

What a delight for me (though not your poor dog) to run into this account while taking a break on 3FC on my lunch hour this afternoon.

I've been feeling more interest in Christmas this year than I have for some time. Maybe because my apartment has been restored to me, and so it's a way of reclaiming it and also celebrating my thankfulness a little. But I do fairly minimalist decor: A single candle in each of my eight-paned windows, except the big bay window in the master bedroom. Two wreaths on either side of my French doors. Three poinsettia plants on various small tables. And two amaryllis which I swear are growing at least a half-inch a day.

I am trying not to feel pressured by the holiday this year. Just given up on Christmas cards entirely. Will attend one party, that's all. Will just have coffee at a work gathering next week. As I said, it's all very low key.

And my weight's the same as it was last Friday, which isn't bad at all.

krampus
12-07-2012, 02:37 PM
I would knock you out of the park in a sushi-eating contest! Right now I'm facing a dilemma. We're going out to our favourite sushi place on Friday to celebrate my son's 15th birthday. At the beginning of the week I weighed in at 144 lbs, which is over my red line, so I vowed to order only a couple of small items from the menu. This morning I was down to 140 lbs, so the all-you-can-eat option is beckoning... What to do, what to do?

F.

To be fair I was trying really hard to exercise moderation and control. I can put away 5+ rolls and have room for dessert :P

All-you-can-eat doesn't have to mean "all you can eat until you will vomit if you eat one more grain of rice" - do some $ math! Congrats on being back down, by the way!

freelancemomma
12-08-2012, 12:34 PM
All-you-can-eat doesn't have to mean "all you can eat until you will vomit if you eat one more grain of rice"

It doesn't? Why didn't anyone tell me sooner?;)

As it turns out, I found a fairly good middle ground last night. I did succumb to the all-you-can-eat option, but I prepared by eating slightly MORE during the day, rather than "saving up" for the special treat, so I ended up feeling less hungry and more in control at the restaurant. As a result I ate more slowly and discriminately. I estimate I consumed about 2,000 calories, substantially less than the 3,500+ I usually put away at this restaurant. Now to get past my sister-in-law's catered Hanukkah party tomorrow...

F.

p.s. I measured my son this morning (his actual birthday) and he's officially taller than me. He's just above 5'11" and I'm just under.

Sheila53
12-08-2012, 01:41 PM
Once it is said and done I sit with DH in the evening and drink a glass of wine by the light of the tree and I'm happy.

That sounds so lovely. I keep saying I don't want a tree, but this sentence makes me remember how nice it is to look at the lights in the evening. Now, if only we could wave that magic wand and have all the busy work done so we could just get to the sitting with a glass of wine part! :)

saef
12-08-2012, 09:10 PM
IOnce it is said and done I sit with DH in the evening and drink a glass of wine by the light of the tree and I'm happy. I have decorations on the mantel from my grandmother and great grandmother's houses, I have things scattered through the house from friends and family. It makes me feel closer to people who aren't here anymore.

This sounds perfectly lovely and I am sure that any guest who walks into your house also has that sense of family tradition & warmth, which is, after all, what this %$#@! holiday is supposed to be about.

I find myself thinking a lot this year about what Christmas is and isn't, what it should be, how it doesn't live up to its reputation much of the time. When it does, it seems to occur in things that sneak up on me: An unexpected feeling of warmth & goodwill & desire to help someone or be generous in some way. The rest of it seems like a noisy, garish party that's keeping me awake or distracting me.

Shannon in ATL
12-09-2012, 02:09 AM
A magic wand to wave and decorations appear would be awesome. Even better when it is time to clean them up. :)

I'll pull some pics together and put them up this week, show off some of my madness. ;)

Saef, I try hard to maintain the traditions and goodwill of Christmas and not give in to the garish commercialism that surrounds us in so many places. DSS likes to repeat the stories of his favorite decorations year after year, and I love that. I have fond memories of decorating and storytelling as a child and I want him to look back at these times as an adult and smile. And I want him to understand that not everyone has the things we do and to be kind, especially this time of year.

We went to DH's office party Thursday night, first party of the season. So begins the whirlwind til the end of the year. Hanging on with white knuckles.

bargoo
12-09-2012, 07:31 AM
I try to keep in mind what we are really celebrating at Christmas but I enjoy Santa, too.
I would also like to say Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate.

saef
12-09-2012, 07:51 AM
My first test of the holidays will be this afternoon, as my apartment complex is having its party from 4-6. I'll go because there are people with whom I enjoy chatting and I've met some delightful neighbors at past gatherings, whom I'd otherwise never see because of our working hours. I'm telling myself that I can get through two hours just fine, particularly with the timing of this gathering, which is pretty much the cocktail hour.

I had a raging sore throat yesterday, which is still sore this morning. I'm not up to cooking. I'll bring a premade veggie tray and hummus from the grocery store. Two years ago, this went over quite well (though of course, people decimate the carrots and celery before the raw broccoli).

bargoo
12-09-2012, 07:58 AM
I just saw reference to this on another forum, anybody familiar with it ? Some great sounding recipes. It is from the Worlds Healthiest Foods website.
www.whfoods.com

Mudpie
12-09-2012, 10:08 AM
My first test of the holidays will be this afternoon, as my apartment complex is having its party from 4-6. I'll go because there are people with whom I enjoy chatting and I've met some delightful neighbors at past gatherings, whom I'd otherwise never see because of our working hours. I'm telling myself that I can get through two hours just fine, particularly with the timing of this gathering, which is pretty much the cocktail hour.

I had a raging sore throat yesterday, which is still sore this morning. I'm not up to cooking. I'll bring a premade veggie tray and hummus from the grocery store. Two years ago, this went over quite well (though of course, people decimate the carrots and celery before the raw broccoli).

Good luck! And if any of your neighbours are like me raw broccoli (and any other raw cruciferous veggies) causes quite the same reaction malitol does. :faint:

saef
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
The sore throat is continuing into its second day, which has kept me home from the Christmas party.

I've made a huge pot of vegetable soup, like a minestone but without any pasta in it. Am hoping that having this at dinner with a piece of seared tuna will help me.

BillBlueEyes
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
That pasta-less minestrone sounds yummy, saef. Perhaps because I, also, have a sore throat and am recovering from sniffles and all the other symptoms of the standard early winter cold. It does seem to help keep me away from the urge to nibble.

alinnell
12-09-2012, 06:51 PM
Yum. Soup. I "made" split pea yesterday for lunch and served it with tuna, artichoke and provolone paninis. Pretty yummy if I do say so myself.

This week has tomato soup on the menu as well. Tomato is my all-time favorite soup.

bargoo
12-09-2012, 07:07 PM
I haven't felt well yesterday and today, today I have spent a good portion of the day lying on the couch, I had tomato soup for lunch.

alinnell
12-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Sorry you aren't feeling well, bargoo. Feel better tomorrow!

I'm off to a Wine Women event. Once a month they get together for a gourmet meal and wine and part of the price ($75 per person) goes to a charity that they've chosen. This month it is Animal Samaritans where I adopted my Louie cat and my in-laws adopted their polydactyl cats. I also took the feral cat there for neutering (and because he was feral, he was half the cost). We usually donate to them yearly as well, but I liked being invited by two different people to do tonights event, so I decided to join!

Shannon in ATL
12-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Sounds like sick is going around - I've been hovering at the edge of under the weather myself for what seems like weeks now and spent most of yesterday on the couch.

I hope everyone feels better soon! This is a terrible time to be sick. :(

saef
12-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I was tottering on my feet with tiredness by 7PM last night and so went to bed about an hour later. This feels like it was a good move, as I woke up this morning at my usual early time, without a sore throat, and made it to 6 AM spin class. My head is a little stuffed up. I'd like to take it a little easy on this, my work from home day, as I'll be spending time with a new hire for the rest of the week.

No, this isn't a good time to get sick, because this is when people want to get together after work and on weekends. There's a gathering coming up on Friday night, and I'm hoping that by then I'll feel better.

Not sure what my weight is, but Bill is right, the oncoming cold was a wonderful appetite suppressant yesterday. I did eat a lot of soup but had no craving at all for the marinated & seared tuna, which will make decent cold leftovers.

ICUwishing
12-10-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm enjoying the soup ideas! DH is experimenting with a 36-hour bone broth concoction that will become a heavy-duty venison/vegetable stew. It smells good! I hope that the soup/sleep combination gets everyone back on their feet quickly.

7 days more of choir concert mania. 3 practices, and 4 performances ... and then a glorious 3 week break. The high side to the travel and chaos is that I've learned again that being hungry for a few hours won't kill me; I've done a pretty good job of avoiding the "grab something/anything" mindset.

Calm mental seas at the moment. When I am busy, I am not self-destructive with my thoughts or eating. There is something about that sentence that seems like it really should resonate with me. It's as if I'm aware of it as a personal subconscious truth, but I don't want to linger on it too much or something about it will fly apart.

alinnell
12-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Becky, in what way is your DH cooking the bones? (I've heard simmering, crock pot and pressure cooker all work to get a good marrow broth.)

The Wine Women event was really nice! Small portions of everything so not too much food, but very, very good. It started with a reception with sparkling white or rose wine and waiters were offering mushroom tartlets and cheese puffs (I had one cheese puff). Next was salad with yellow beets and a nice Sauvignon Blanc. (The wine was poured in about 2-3 ounce servings, but if you finished it they'd offer you more.) Dinner was a small (about 2 ounce) steak and another similar sized portion of another meat (pork?) with a heavy mushroom gravy some green beans and a crunchy potato cake. This was served with two different red wines, one Merlot, one Cabernet. I liked them both, but couldn't figure out which was which! Dessert was an individual pecan pie with caramel ice cream served with a Sauterne wine. Very good. I ate half the small pie, all the small dollop of ice cream and of course the wine--which I'd never had before. Very sweet, but not overly sweet. I'm not a fan of sweet wine, but this was good, although I can't see buying any. I bought raffle tickets and won a $100 gift certificate for a salon. I don't want to change hair dressers, so I'll have to see what they offer. A facial would be nice.

ICUwishing
12-10-2012, 10:45 AM
allison, your Wine Women event sounds like something I would really, really enjoy! DH is simmering the bones. I would have preferred he use the crockpot, but he's doing 20 qts! :eek: Good thing we cleaned out the freezer! :lol:

Mudpie
12-10-2012, 11:12 AM
allison, your Wine Women event sounds like something I would really, really enjoy! DH is simmering the bones. I would have preferred he use the crockpot, but he's doing 20 qts! :eek: Good thing we cleaned out the freezer! :lol:

How does one simmer bones for 36 hours?

Dagmar :?:

ICUwishing
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Massive tall stockpot, Dagmar, with a good lid so that everything doesn't cook down too much. We have a gas stove, and once it gets up to a slow simmer, we can hold it there for as long as it takes on a really low setting. I'm skeptical about the flavor benefit of doing this for so long - it will have to be big to offset the irritation/energy waste of running the stove that long.

saef
12-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh, dear, at moments like this, I'm glad I have the kind of palate that can be satisfied by a couple teaspoons of Better'n Boullion or cans of store-bought broth.

Most definitely part of my maintenance plan is my decision to redirect much of the energy & creativity & time required for interesting meals into ... what? Mostly, for my job. And my hours clocked in the gym. Probably also into furnishing my apartment, but that project is coming to a close, thank goodness.

Damn the standards for my class of woman: Cook like a professional chef; eat heartily enough to be companionable to your man; yet retain the swimsuit physique of an athletic female in her 20s. There are too many paradoxes there and I felt I had to give up a couple of these demands on myself to manage achieving just one of them competently.

alinnell
12-10-2012, 02:48 PM
If you want a better description of my event last night, check this out (the invitation with full menu): Wine Women PS (http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?llr=wkcrtlcab&v=001aYDP54lNfT8w5naOyp7HRK622os_W-wFPusXqB5OO1EJb14wGGCLgSJ4Jf4yc-q9uIBnHZtmWmUeovn-e2r9QBWB6gzQhy1x6KvK7KwndT4-D6puxMSEjQ%3D%3D)

Mudpie
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM
Saef I still have the turkey carcass and bones from our Thanksgiving in October - in the freezer. Planning on making a good turkey stock/soup with it. Any day now :rofl:. Last year I saved the carcass too and ended up throwing it away in July. I can cook for about 30 minutes at a time and then I either lose interest or run out of time or have to go and walk a dog or feed a cat.

ICUwishing
12-11-2012, 08:55 AM
Tiredtiredtiredtired! Time to crawl down off the "I gotta get it all done" martyr pedestal and clear the decks so that I can get some heavy duty sleep time, like 9 hours. Much as I want a double dose of coffee this morning, I have to switch to green tea or I'll be up again tonight. :tired:

Warning, math dweeb stuff. Like many of us, I keep a graph of my weight. I plot the weekly averages. This morning, I've been fooling with rates of change and the trendline functions in Excel to see if I can quantify my snail's pace, and I settled on a 3rd-order polynomial with R-square values. Here's my very slow creep downward:

bargoo
12-11-2012, 09:19 AM
Warning, math dweeb stuff. Like many of us, I keep a graph of my weight. I plot the weekly averages. This morning, I've been fooling with rates of change and the trendline functions in Excel to see if I can quantify my snail's pace, and I settled on a 3rd-order polynomial with R-square values. Here's my very slow creep downward:

The important thng it is going down. Congratulations !

ICUwishing
12-11-2012, 10:15 AM
Thanks, bargoo! If I can get through the next couple of weeks without that little tail turning up, I will be one happy camper. For whatever it's worth, I've been so stupidly busy so far this month that temptations haven't been able to get a grip on me!

bargoo
12-11-2012, 10:32 AM
Thanks, bargoo! If I can get through the next couple of weeks without that little tail turning up, I will be one happy camper. For whatever it's worth, I've been so stupidly busy so far this month that temptations haven't been able to get a grip on me!

If it works, don't fix it !

saef
12-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Tiredtiredtiredtired! Time to crawl down off the "I gotta get it all done" martyr pedestal and clear the decks so that I can get some heavy duty sleep time, like 9 hours.

That's an awfully crowded pedestal at this time of year, too, isn't it?

Smartest thing I've done for the past two nights is go to bed early to baby myself over the cold that I've come down with. I can't believe how much better I feel getting up in the morning, like I'm not doing it solely through force of will. Also, in that dead time that runs from about 2 PM - 4 PM, I am not exhausted over my keyboard.

Sleep: Such a simple gift to oneself, and yet so often denied in favor of more material pleasures.

And congratulations on that slow but steady creep downward of your weight. Wait till January. People are gonna be begging you then to share tips & secrets, and how annoyed they'll be when there's nothing dramatic to impart.

neurodoc
12-12-2012, 12:09 AM
Sheesh. I forget to post on the new thread, and then it doesn't automatically email me the daily digest. This, in turn, makes me forget to log in to 3FC and the next thing I know, the thread I got to name has gone on for 4 pages without me :>)

For the record, I've been absolutely overwhelmed with work both at work and at home. I have a new dog to train, a gimped shoulder to nurse (finally gave up and made an appt. with an orthopedist after 2.5 months of non-improving pain and weakness), Chanukah presents, food, gatherings and cards to plan and buy, and children in crisis over end-of-term missing assignments and unfinished projects. And then there's my actual job-for-pay.

A couple of comments on recent posts: how come there's no "all you can eat sushi" in Michigan? Also, is the fish quality of all you can eat worse than regular sushi? How much does it cost? (can you tell I'm jealous?)

Saef- I made a pasta-less minestrone soup with leftover turkey on Saturday. Too funny- great minds think alike (or at least, dieters all realize the appeal of veggies and protein with lots of broth to satiate with few calories). Sorry you're feeling sick- my soup was just to get the dark-meat leftovers gone.

ICU- I have real respect for anyone who will go to the trouble of fitting a higher-order polynomial function to a weight-loss graph (or any other set of data). Could you come and give a motivational talk to one of my grad students, who hates analyzing data with anything more sophisticated than descriptive statistics?

And finally, I also need to state that my weight has been unrelentingly stalled above redline (125-127) for weeks now, as I battle the demons of stress-eating and pity-eating. And then, after looking at myself in the mirror, self-loathing punitive eating (can there be a more illogical reason to overeat than that?). I manage to reign myself in to a reasonable 1300 calories for only a day or two at a time before the overeating demons come back. And for my sh*tty metabolism, it doesn't take much; a few days at 1700-1800 calories is all it takes to regain a pound.

bargoo
12-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Andrea, for us short people it seems like we can gain a pound just walking to the refrigerator. Sometimes I wish I was 5'8".

ICUwishing
12-12-2012, 10:07 AM
andrea, welcome back! Sushi definitely isn't MI's strong suit - I saw it on a buffet at a Chinese restaurant, but that didn't exactly fire up my appetite for it. :p At least we do have a few stellar restaurants! Re the statistics, I am a tireless and rather annoying advocate for the field, and get my jollies out of showing how the advanced methods can give results that are completely opposite of the descriptives. :D

saef, agreed - very crowded pedestal! Thinking maybe I oughta just strap two on my feet, and then I could keep trying to get even more done. Not! ;) I seriously doubt that any of us here on the thread are going to win awards with our plans. Not enough magic or flash or speed, just concerted effort day in and day out, for-evah. It IS boring! Thank goodness we have each other to talk to about it!

bargoo, yup, no fix required. Maybe this is the lowest I can get with the way I eat and (don't) move, and I'm reaching the place where I'm okay with that. I do intend to pursue a higher level of fitness on the "continuous improvement" spectrum; I just need to figure out what I can realistically commit to doing so I don't crash, burn, and give up again.

I am really looking forward to eating at home tonight. I slept 7 hours last night, which is an improvement but nowhere near where I need to be. At least my brain is working better today ...

bargoo
12-12-2012, 10:42 AM
I just read a great quote on another forum.
"What we eat in private shows in public".
Thanks, Brittany.
I am going to post that on my refrigerator.

alinnell
12-12-2012, 10:45 AM
I just read a great quote on another forum.
"What we eat in private shows in public".
Thanks, Brittany.
I am going to post that on my refrigerator.

Wow. As I sit here eating a not-so-healthy breakfast. Alone. Hmmm. Food for thought (yeah, pun, I know).

traveling michele
12-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Are you feeling better today Bargoo?

Welcome back Andrea. I feel you on the red line. I'm at it today, but most days lately I've been over. I'd really love to be comfortably under it.

And I'm very sore and achy today. Praying there isn't a sickness coming my way. I missed exercise on Monday which is quite unusual these days so I'm hoping that I just stretched/exerted too much at bikram yoga yesterday.

Younger dd comes home tonight from college!
And older dd spent her first full day in team training yesterday with her service dog. They are doing beautifully and she is so happy!

bargoo
12-12-2012, 11:14 AM
michele, thanks for asking, yes do feel better today and am going to go grocery shopping a little later and not a moment too soon, my cupboard is getting bare.
I am glad your dd got her dog and hope this will give her confidence and satisfaction. What a great thing this is.

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 11:39 AM
Oh I love that quote, Bargoo. As I think about the candy wrappers in my bedside table drawer and the fast food breakfasts I sneak into work sometimes....

Andrea -welcome back! I also give in to the 'I look terrible and hate my weight so must eat for comfort' demon. It makes no sense at all, does it? I hope that things level out for you soon.

Becky - a little extra sleep can work wonders, can't it? Love your graph. :)

I hope all the sick ones are feeling better today!

:wave: have a great day everyone!

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Michele - just saw the note about DD and her service dog. I'm so glad that she has him now. I know it was hard when the first one got hurt and they had to train a new one. It is good to hear that they are doing well together.

saef
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Today at work, what a carb fest will be going on around me.

There's a cookie exchange happening, in which I won't participate, because I didn't bake or bring in anything. But many people in my dept. didn't, so I won't look like an anomaly, though I'll be one of the few females, as it's mostly the men who sat it out & mostly the women who showed up with the trays and plates covered in festive tinfoil and bows.

Then at lunchtime they're bringing in the towering boxes of pizzas. I'm not tempted: I have contempt for how often my employer tries to placate us for sustained periods of overwork by placing delivery orders. (To paraphrase a song by Pink: "Keep your pepperoni and give me the money.") I've brought a nice piece of marinated and seared tuna to put on top of a green salad.

I did NOT go to a 6 AM spin class this morning just to blow it on plates full of carbs.

Shannon in ATL
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Saef, I've found that most of the time delivery pizza isn't that good anyway.

traveling michele
12-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Michele - just saw the note about DD and her service dog. I'm so glad that she has him now. I know it was hard when the first one got hurt and they had to train a new one. It is good to hear that they are doing well together.

Thanks Shannon. She actually did end up getting the first service dog (Owen). The second dog they were training wasn't doing as well, and Owen was 100% cleared medically, so they retrained him a bit so he'd remember all of the commands. They really felt like the match was a good one and so far it seems to be! I'm posting updates on facebook and you can subscribe to read her blog if you want-- she is an amazing writer. :hug:

saef
12-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Went into the Carbfest room -- they'd put out plates of cookies along a kind of spotlit sideboard around the borders of the room -- and headed straight for the 2-liter soda bottles. Poured myself a generous Coke Zero. Chatted for maybe 10 minutes and then eased my way out. Some females in a corner seemed to be watching me avidly, but maybe it was my paranoia.

I had my tuna on a green salad at my desk and it was really good. There were some others eating at their desk.

kittycat40
12-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Saef:
U go Girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bargoo
12-13-2012, 09:04 AM
I had a couple of days earlier this week where I wasn't feeling well, consequently didn't feel like eating much. I estimate that I ate at least 400-500 calories a day less than normal. The result , I gained .6 0f a pound.

saef
12-13-2012, 12:20 PM
Bargoo, that's just another example of the body's illogic.

Kitty, thanks for the encouragement. I feel fine about my choice, though so many around me can't seem to fathom it. All I keep thinking is that I clock too much time at the gym to throw it away on something that really, I wouldn't even envision or want if it weren't suddenly visible and available.

We'll see how long my cold disenchantment lasts.

krampus
12-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Well done. I bet most of the cookies weren't even that great.

bargoo
12-14-2012, 05:28 PM
saef, I am repeating what I posted on the chat thread. Are you OK? Is your office near where this tragic shooting occured today ? I hope you are working at home today. Let us know if you are OK.

saef
12-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Bargoo, you're so kind. My office is located 45 miles from the elementary school, so I was nowhere near there. Unfortunately, that's well within commuting distance, by Tristate area standards, and my CT colleagues are in shock, though thankfully, our HR office has confirmed that no one has lost a child or other family member. But their children have lost friends. And there is a heavy feeling at the nearly-empty office today. An awful lot of people have been streaming home to work from home for the rest of the day since the news broke.

bargoo
12-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Glad to hear you are OK, saef. Thanks for letting me know. I know there must have been chaos in and around that school after this tragis event.

neurodoc
12-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Small personal victory: I went to my synagogue's Chanukah service tonight, with about 30 different kinds of desserts put out afterward. I ate only fruit, and a (generous) handful of cashews. I CAN do this. I CAN get back to goal weight.

Mudpie
12-15-2012, 06:51 AM
Sometimes the holiday season is easier for those of us who are very alone. I have one family dinner to attend, Christmas Day with DH, and then a brunch at the end of the year. That's it. So not much of a challenge as far as social pressure to eat goes.

I'm finding I'm in a zone where I'm too tired to eat most nights too. I guess that is a good thing. I have to make it through one more week of frenetic activity and then Christmas itself will be pretty easy.

I am so looking forward to my time off. It will be busy, but not frantic. I will go and do some of those things I've been promising myself I'll do - art gallery, museums, movies, etc. And I will set aside an hour every day to read and an hour to have a pot of mint tea with DH and chat.

And my next health thing is to quit the energy drinks. That starts Dec. 24 and I should be weaned off them by Jan 1. I'm going to be in good shape mentally and emotionally by the first day of 2013.

Good Saturday all! Time to throw myself into the whirlwind once again.

Dagmar :yoga:

saef
12-15-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm talking myself into scheduling some downtime this weekend -- I am learning and re-learning that if I don't, I'll get resentful of the pace that I'm driving myself at and I will "act out" this resentment in a way that is not healthy, by standing up in the kitchen eating handfuls of almonds probably ... or will balk like a mule by oversleeping and refusing to stand up away from the dining room table, newspapers and coffee when I ought to.

Off to the gym, then to see Patrick at his new salon -- he's moved again! -- then grocery shopping and cooking. There's a movie I should catch but I am thinking that might be overdoing it.

Weight management = life management.

freelancemomma
12-15-2012, 12:22 PM
Weight management = life management.

Interesting idea.

F.

alinnell
12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
And here I struggle with getting in enough exercise. I'm envious of the time I used to get up and run (jog). Yet I'm so content to spend more time in bed.

I do feel that my eating habits have changed. I plan more. I eat less in the evening. I eat more just before heading out for exercise (especially since golf takes many hours). I find that soups are more satisfying in the cooler weather (whereas salads are better when it is warm). Tonight MIL made chicken tortilla soup. Whereas I would not have served it with rolls, she did, and I ate two. I guess one must find the right balance.

ICUwishing
12-17-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm having less trouble with the overeating this year for some reason. Truly, this December has been a whirlwind of choir - I have been joyfully immersed in my favorite music, with the hours in the car and of course all the practices and concerts. There have been a few times where I've looked at the calendar and the to-do list this month and felt some genuine panic. I still haven't started my gift shopping, I still have an essay to write, and still have to finish critiquing the rest of my friend's short story. I have all these images and sounds now, though - I get torqued up and tense ... and then my brain starts up a replay of Alex's choir singing "O Magnum Mysterium" or the soaring, incredible descants of "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" ... and the stress vanishes. Maybe I'm filling a void that I was mistaking for hunger; this month, I am strangely at peace and food is ... just food.

bargoo
12-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Becky, I think you have hit a milesone. "Food is just food".

saef
12-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I've been holding up well, but my problem isn't maintaining tight control, it's loosening the control enough to socialize, rather than practicing complete avoidance of social occasions and the associated food & drink.

Coming down with a cold on the previous weekend was the deux ex machina that rescued me. Then in the middle of last week, I said "no" to the company party, which I probably would have enjoyed, or at least I would have exploited as an excuse to wear a dress that I would've looked well in, due to all that upper body work in the gym.

What I've realized is how tightly scheduled my regular life is, between food shopping & preparation and all that gym time (and laundering all those gym clothes!), and how when you add holiday stuff also, it goes completely out of whack.

I try to breathe & just focus on the thing that I'm doing right here & now. But I feel tired. Early bed-time tonight would go a long way toward helping me feel like this is a time of good cheer, rather than a test of my physical & psychological endurance.

saef
12-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Becky, not to be a downer, but I, too, go through periods of "food is just food," and think my entire outlook has changed ... and then it comes back. Usually it's when I lose a sense of purpose and a project that's consumed my attention comes to an end. It's the between times as well as the overscheduled times that I find difficult. When I'm just humming along with productivity, at a comfortable pace, I'm good. But it's hard to keep life going at moderate speed under all conditions.

ICUwishing
12-17-2012, 12:32 PM
saef, not a downer at all! I hope to ride this wave for as long as I can, and not to crash too hard when the formula unravels. I do agree that it's tied to having a purpose, and being productively busy. It's just been so ... NICE ... to only think about food when my stomach growls, to enjoy what I'm eating without analyzing it to death, and when I'm done eating, to simply go back to my business. I'm having a taste of what I imagine normality is. I am trying not to put my focus on it, but rather to observe it obliquely in the hopes of being able to attain it more easily with practice.

bargoo, a milestone, waypoint, or something of that nature, for sure. Not sure how I got here, but I'd definitely like to stay longer!

bargoo
12-17-2012, 01:02 PM
I may have shared this before , but here goes. I had a hairdresser who had a gorgeous wife, not an ounce of fat on her body. Chris, her husband told me, she doesn't diet, food is just not important to her. She knows she has to eat to stay alive but it doesn't have the strong appeal to her that some of us experience. He gave an example, she forgets to eat lunch and when she remembers she should eat something, she may eat half an apple. She appears to be healthy.

alinnell
12-17-2012, 01:20 PM
My sister once described her in-laws, who were living with them, as people who would forget to eat, or who wouldn't eat because it was too much work. When reminded of this once by my BIL, they sat down and SHARED A GRAPE.

ICUwishing
12-17-2012, 01:55 PM
I certainly don't mean to imply I've gotten to that point, :lol:! I guess the way to explain it is that food doesn't take center stage in my head until there's time to sit down and eat; and then it fades to the back until the next time my stomach growls. I'm not sitting around dreaming about what I'm going to eat next, and how it will taste, and whether it will make the scale move one way or the other, and all the other "noise" that's normally present. It's great, in an odd way - just way different.

krampus
12-17-2012, 02:41 PM
I have learned to trust my judgment more, barring the 1-2 weeks leading up to my period during which I become the Sarlacc pit from Return of the Jedi:

http://mightyjabba.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/sarlacc_battle_pack06.jpg

My weight really does seem to balance itself, so long as I sleep enough. If I don't sleep enough, or if I add in too many vices, judgment goes out the window. Being able to trust myself works great but is harder during this time of year when there are so many functions.

ICUwishing
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
krampus, somehow I prefer the mental image of the movie over that ... um, man, wow ... that's awkward. :D Sorta reminds me of that "they have teeth!" scare tactic, and I'mnotgonnasayanymorecuzI'mgonnagetcensored. :D I think that thing killed the thread! :lol:

Meanwhile ... back at the ranch ...

traveling michele
12-18-2012, 06:12 PM
RAGING sweet tooth here!
Wonder what causes that?
I'm trying not to feed it!

So far, I had some diet hot chocolate and some dried fruit-- hope that squashes it! That and looking at my poochy tummy!

bargoo
12-19-2012, 11:49 AM
michele, Do I ever understand about the sweet tooth. I have to beat mine down on frequent occasions. I blame it on my mother and aunts and grandmother, they were all outstanding bakers and cookies and other deserts were used as rewards. "Eat your vegies or no desert" and of course"Have a cookie you'll feel better" when you skin your knees.I like to bake , too but keep it at a minimum. If I bake a cake it is because I am taking it to a potluck I cannot have a whole pie or cake in this house. I must have stern restrictions because I have no willpower.

BillBlueEyes
12-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Sweet stuff just keeps appearing. I've turned down two-byte brownies three times this week. They have the "Halo Effect" of sounding like they must be OK.

alinnell
12-19-2012, 11:59 AM
When I was younger, I had a huge sweet tooth. I could eat candy all day, huge slices of cake (the chocolaty-er the better!), frosting right out of the bowl, etc. These days, not so much. Yes, I still like it, but it's usually way too rich and it upsets my stomach before I have more than a few bites. Give me cheese instead! That said, I made Welsh Rarebit for lunch the other day and that was too rich! (Maybe because I used cream rather than milk?)

Holding my own as the holiday season progresses. Still not sold on the scale DD gave me for Christmas. It regularly weighs me at least 1 pound higher than my old scale (which is up about a pound from where I'd prefer it to be). Lunch and dinner today and tomorrow will be lean, so I'm sure it'll go back down.

Looking forward to three days of golf this weekend!

saef
12-19-2012, 12:15 PM
Michele, I don't know what brings on my own sweet tooth, either. It disappears and reappears like PMS symptoms, so I wonder if it's somehow cyclical, too. And there isn't a clear cause and effect.

It's not always because I see & smell something that's offbounds, and I start clawing at it through the fence I've erected around such things.

It's not always because I eat something sweet and my desire for further sweet stimulus is reawakened.

It's not always stress-related, because lately when I get jittery, it's protein or fat that I'm grabbing at, rather than an evanescent sweetness.

Often I can't identify what has brought it on, but when it's on me, it feels like a temporary fit of insanity.

Knowing you, though, from your previous posts, my advice is: Stay away from grapes and dried fruit. (You'll thank me later. ;-)

I'm remembering all the "scared straight" movies from my youth where people sweat and shivered and writhed in knotted-up sheets on beds to get through heroin withdrawal, and others either sat by the bedside or peered at them anxiously from a small, high window cut through the hospital room door. Sometimes I think that's what we do for each other here.

bargoo
12-19-2012, 12:21 PM
I'm remembering all the "scared straight" movies from my youth where people sweat and shivered and writhed in knotted-up sheets on beds to get through heroin withdrawal, and others either sat by the bedside or peered at them anxiously from a small, high window cut through the hospital room door. Sometimes I think that's what we do for each other here.

I think of this group as a peer support group,

Sheila53
12-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Often I can't identify what has brought it on, but when it's on me, it feels like a temporary fit of insanity.

That's exactly how it feels for me. Then after the insanity abates comes the guilt, the recriminations, the self-loathing and the tight pants. *Sigh* I sometimes think it would be best if I just gave up sweets altogether, but the thought of that just kind of panics me. Is that addiction?

traveling michele
12-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Saef-- I guess my true confession would be the grapes I bought and ate before the sweet tooth commenced-- coincidence? probably not.

The bad thing is that even when I know about challenges ahead, more keep rearing their ugly heads!

Dh got good news yesterday at work and wanted to go to our fave Italian restaurant for dinner. I can never do well there-- I think everything is highly salted, not to mention fat laden. I was happy that the scale stayed the same from yesterday (thanks to hot yoga probably) but yesterday I was dismayed at the same reading (127). I REALLY REALLY want to get the scale down before I go to Houston for the holidays-- plus I really think my clothes don't look well on me at this weight (not to mention without clothes).

Then, I come to work and it is "December Birthday" celebration with the whole staff room full of junk. Luckily I took a quick peek and there was NOTHING healthy-- not a fruit or veggie to be seen-- so I won't be partaking.

Now to find my hidden willpower.
Since I don't have monthly cycles (no uterus), I never know if my cravings are cyclical, though I suspect they may be partly.

Like Bargoo, I was brought up with "clean your plate and you can have dessert" so I still want/need/expect/crave something sweet each day. Sigh.

neurodoc
12-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I think of this group as a peer support group,

Me too. Group therapy with "my peeps." Folks who understand that it's way harder to stay at a (to your body) unnatural weight than to get there. Who completely understand that a missed workout is a Really Big Deal and not just a minor annoyance (or worse, a partially-intentional event).

Allison, I've never had Welsh rarebit. What is it exactly?

Sheila: THIS: "Then after the insanity abates comes the guilt, the recriminations, the self-loathing and the tight pants. *Sigh* I sometimes think it would be best if I just gave up sweets altogether, but the thought of that just kind of panics me. Is that addiction?" That is SO ME. And I'm not sure if that's addiction, but is sure feels like it. And, like Michele and Bargoo (and, I suspect, most of us with weight problems on this board), the entanglement of reward/deserve/entitled for sweets combines with the physical rush brought on by the fat and sugar to create JOY when I get dessert, and SORROW/SELF PITY when I don't (sorry for the caps; I mean to connote the intensity of the emotional sway that desserts have for me).

Having said that, I have managed to satiate my need for dessert recently with either a WW chocolate-dipped raspberry ice cream bar (80 cal), or a Chobani vanilla-chocolate greek yogurt (120 cal). And then succeeded in walking away from the kitchen for the rest of the night. Here's hoping the scale moves soon.

BillBlueEyes
12-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Yep, I also consider 3FC my group therapy. My marriage would be strained by a constant self congratulations every time I don't dip into DW's trail mix. But I repeatedly say that around here knowing that it will be accepted as "a Really Big Deal."

My current challenge is a container of homemade chocolate cookies that arrived via UPS - lovingly baked by a relative. I feel the pressure to eat them even though the distant relative can never know what happened to them. My mind keeps thinking of mico-triumphs that call for the reward of a cookie. E.g., for honestly posting about this, I should go snarf one down right now, LOL.

Yay for all of us surviving the end of the Mayan Calendar.

saef
12-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Well, I got through four days in which I never stopped moving, rushing from one event or appointment or workout or meeting to another, and I've reached Friday, my day off. Though it's not really, because I still have to get online today and shepherd a document to publication, and I also have to talk on the phone with the new hire about how to write a particular document type. (You know that resolution that I made to separate work time from off time, and not mix the two? Today: Fail. Though until now I was making some headway in my day-to-day routine, mostly by leaving the laptop in its bag after getting home from the gym.)

No surprise that while I thought I **might** get up before 5 AM this morning, I woke to steady rain, rolled over and put my face back into the pillow. Now it's past 7 AM & I still haven't headed to the gym, though I know that I will. Eventually.

My mother's coming a day early to avoid the predicted Upstate snow storm.

But my weight is 143, unaffected by the craziness, and when I look back at my calendar from the previous December, that's actually more than four pounds lower than I was at this time last year.

I'm gonna call that maintenance.

saef
12-21-2012, 08:40 AM
An insight I'm still struggling with.

Success in weight loss meant adhering to routines: Eating what I was supposed to, working out when I was supposed to. Staying "on plan," to use the accepted terminology.

So I've come to equate being "on plan" with being safe and getting to remain at a normal healthy weight. "Off plan" leads to dangerous situations.

The problem is, I have extended "on plan" to encompass nearly all of my life.

What I mean is, I've created such a structured life that it nearly calcifies into the rigidity of a coral reef.

So I don't have what what we call in my workplace "agility," the ability to adapt to changing conditions, to be spontaneous, to go with the flow, and be rewarded with unexpected surprises and delights.

I guard that structure. And when that structure is threatened, I experience intense anxiety.

Also, I start to feel constricted by my own self-created structures, and closed-down and bored, since there is no prospect for change or surprises.

So the issue is how to maintain some of the routine & structure that I equate with successful maintenance, without lapsing into complete stasis and becoming an obsessive/compulsive head case, who freaks out and says "no" as a reflex or clings to my routine with white knuckles.

That is the challenge for 2013, but let me keep thinking about this before I post in that thread.

How do I create a maintenance plan that balances structure with the ability to improvise?

We are so used to hearing on these boards from people who have trouble with the structure part. Well, I am an anomaly. I've got no problem with adhering to routines, my problem is dealing with "jumping the tracks."

bargoo
12-21-2012, 08:49 AM
On Dec 12, 2007 I reached goal . On 12-21-07 I weighed in at 120.2 today 5 years later I weighed in at 117.2.
I feel pretty good about it , too, and am not ashamed to admit it.

ICUwishing
12-21-2012, 09:51 AM
I don't have last year's record, but on Jan 2 of this year I was at 157.0. This morning was 147.5. I'm thinking that my challenge to myself for next year is to not see anything in the 150's at all.

saef, I wish I had some insight for you. It seems to me that you share this dilemma with the other chicks who've conquered triple-digit losses - that your bodies are constantly fighting back and wanting to return to the obese state. Maybe it's some kind of lizard-brain memory thing and it will get easier with time as you adapt to your thinness, I don't know. It seems grossly unfair that the tradeoff is so much rigidity.

Bill, I have several coworkers who take treats of that nature to their local women's shelters, where they are hugely appreciated. You could save one for yourself, so that you could report truthfully back to the relative on how incredible they were. ;)

Strength and peace to all. First day of winter, shortest day, end of the world, and a moment of silence at 9:30 EST for Newtown.

alinnell
12-21-2012, 10:14 AM
Andrea~Welsh rarebit is basically cheese on toast. But rather than just melted cheese, it is more of a cheese sauce. You make a roux, add cream or milk, some Worchestershire sauce, beer and cheese. I liken it to a fondue, but instead of dunking your bread into the cheese, you ladle it over the toast. It's very rich, and I'm sure loaded with fat and calories, but we needed something that would "stick to our ribs" otherwise we starve at about the 14th hole of golf! This time, we made it through the whole game without feeling hungry.

I'm not sure where I was this time last year, but I know it was higher than what I am now. When I started on Nutrisystem, I was 163 and today I was 152.6 (by the new scale).

ICUwishing
12-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Holy moly, allison - that sounds like an awesome special breakfast! I could probably run for hours on that too. :drool: Me being me, I think I'd hide a pile of sauteed mushrooms under all that cheese ... :chin: Thank you for the idea for Christmas breakfast!

alinnell
12-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Holy moly, allison - that sounds like an awesome special breakfast! I could probably run for hours on that too. :drool: Me being me, I think I'd hide a pile of sauteed mushrooms under all that cheese ... :chin: Thank you for the idea for Christmas breakfast!

It was actually our lunch. And some people put tomatoes under the sauce. If you look it up on Wikipedia, there are all sorts of variations.

bargoo
12-21-2012, 10:53 AM
have any of you used
www.recipegoldmine.com (http://www.recipegoldmine.com)
Thousands of recipes.

traveling michele
12-21-2012, 11:22 AM
Congrats Bargoo!!!!!!! Well done!

Bill-- you're a hoot! I was bemoaning yesterday that every time I walk in the break room and bypass the cookies, fudge, candy, yada yada, I should automatically lose a pound. My body should KNOW the sacrifices I'm making during the holidays.

Saef-- I hear you on the rigidity. I skipped my holiday party yesterday. It would have been almost impossible for me to make it as I had to pick up dd, let dogs out, etc. The party was from 3:30-5:30 and I wouldn't have gotten there until 5:00 at the earliest. A fairly large part of me was relieved though. I went to a late yoga class and ate an on plan dinner. I was quite anxious about the alternatives.

I've tried to work on my rigidity this year. On January 1, I weighed 120.0. Today I was 126.2. I'm not happy about the gains I've had this year (5-10 pounds depending on the day). I'm trying to figure out if it was BECAUSE I tried to lessen my rigidity and give myself a little more freedom. Or maybe I'm just looking for an excuse. Either way, I want to be solidly under my redline for 2013 (of 125). I'm also still debating my post in the 2013 thread.

I came to work and my system was down. Well played Mayans. It's back up so I guess I have to work. My last day of the year--- kids have been wild all week-- it's rainy and windy today-- they should be maniacs.

WardHog
12-21-2012, 12:08 PM
way to go, bargoo!

I am also very rigid in my routines and scared to jump the tracks. If it's raining and I can't walk the dog - disaster! If one of the kids gets sick and I have to stay home - ditto! Something to work on.

I stepped on the scale after avoiding it for a couple of weeks and I was pleasantly surprised. I have done better about my tendency to stick my head in the sand when things aren't going well, but it's one of my goals for 2013 to keep weighing myself. No one has to know the number but me (although today's number is about 15 pounds lower than Jan. 1, so yay).

bargoo
12-21-2012, 12:15 PM
wardhog, congratulations on your loss. Good job.
ward, re sticking your head in the sand, my attitude is,if I don't look maybe it will go away.PS it doesn't work but that is my tendency the other is ,if I think I won't like the answer, I don't ask the question. That doesn't work either.

krampus
12-21-2012, 12:46 PM
It is a festival of diabeetus downstairs. I am going to have a very small lunch and have a couple cookies. I will NOT use it as an excuse to stuff myself with cookies the day before my birthday party tomorrow when there will be pictures and people watching (we are playing a Christmas concert in our living room once everyone is adequately intoxicated/relaxed).

kittycat40
12-21-2012, 01:30 PM
:hug:On Dec 12, 2007 I reached goal . On 12-21-07 I weighed in at 120.2 today 5 years later I weighed in at 117.2.
I feel pretty good about it , too, and am not ashamed to admit it.

saweet! :hug::carrot:

happy everything ladies and gents

i will update my ticker. been here for a coupla months or so. feel the looks, and know they (fill in the they with various people) are talking. but im pretty ok. and love being this thin.

traveling michele
12-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Happy Birthday Krampus!!!

I thought I avoided the holiday party yesterday and see it followed me to work and brought friends! All of the leftover goodies are in the staff room and I'm going into a diabetic coma just smelling them. Plus the students are giving me presents-- so far cookies, candies, more cookies, more candies. One student gave me the same present as she did last year-- a giant Toblerone bar-- that one is calling to me.

kittycat40
12-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Happy Birthday Krampus!!!

I thought I avoided the holiday party yesterday and see it followed me to work and brought friends! All of the leftover goodies are in the staff room and I'm going into a diabetic coma just smelling them. Plus the students are giving me presents-- so far cookies, candies, more cookies, more candies. One student gave me the same present as she did last year-- a giant Toblerone bar-- that one is calling to me.

I must have missed it--- Happy Birthday Krampus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope you have a wonderful day, holiday season, celebration.

Michele, how giant is your tobler?? Yum :devil:
I was mailed 6 pints of highly amazing ice cream, as a holiday gift. It has been waiting in the fridge and calling to me for the past 3 days. This afternoon, I unloaded much of it with an "ice cream party" for my kids' friends. And I had several of the flavors- best to move that stuff out of the house asap ;)

I think I will be here frequently in the next few days. We will be home. I am so happy to be in my own space. (And work on decluttering it)

Wishing everyone peace joy and that little bit of extra oomph in avoiding the sugar devil.

traveling michele
12-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Mailed ice cream?? That's a new one!
Basically my toblerone is 6 big bars put together-- for a total of 1 pound, 5 oz!

I'm trying to let go of my rigidity as my plans are changing.... dh was going to fly to Spokane today. He was going to drive to SFO, to return Sunday with dd, pick up his car and come home. He realized this morning that he and dd are flying into Oakland on Sunday, hence he shouldn't leave a car at SFO. So, he took the BART to SFO (he hates the BART)-- it took two hours. Then he got there and his flight was cancelled. He was put on a later flight and it was cancelled. So, now he's back on the BART for another two hours and I have to go retrieve him. He will hopefully fly out tomorrow (but the weather still looks bad then). I was going to go to yoga tonight but now I'm doubting that will happen. UGH

alinnell
12-21-2012, 09:04 PM
My DD is flying to Seattle as I type. She had "ordered" long term parking at LAX (didn't know you could do that--and she prepaid at least the deposit). She arrived and due to all the cancelled flights there was no room in the lot. She was directed to another lot 20 minutes away. No room. She finally got online and found another lot, but she isn't sure she'll get a refund from the original lot because she had to reserve the lot she is in with another company.

I'm so glad I live in a small town!

Michele~does BART go from SFO down to Berkeley? My DS has applied there and it's his first choice so if he's accepted, I'm thinking that will be his best route for travel back and forth to the desert here. I remember taking BART from downtown to SFO years ago. It felt weird sitting on it with my suitcase!

Weather here is still rather cool, but we're still panning on three days of golf!

bargoo
12-22-2012, 01:35 AM
Allison, Oakland Airport is 15 miles from Berkeley, SFO is 25 miles from Berkeley. You can take BART from Berkeley to Oakland Airport.

Mudpie
12-22-2012, 08:15 AM
Unlike saef I have no problem "jumping the tracks". I do so much less often than in the past but sometimes circumstances catch up with me and off I go.

I have had a bad head cold for the last 2 days so it's been harder to get through all the last minute work stuff. I managed but was feeling very exhausted and spent.

Last night I decorated the tree. Usually I do this with Christmas music playing and it's one of the highlights of the holiday for me. This time I felt sick and tired and sad. So I decided to drink a glass of wine to feel better. 3 glasses later DH came home from his solstice celebrations and joined me. I had also been eating chocolate and other treats given to me by clients. After another glass of wine I staggered off to bed.

So today I have to run all of my errands not only with a head cold but with alcohol and sugar hangovers.

I know better. My sleep will be disturbed for about 3-4 days now so I will feel tired and sick throughout Christmas. I can be really stoopid sometimes. I've known for close to 25 years that alcohol and I don't do well together. But I keep thinking "maybe this time I can feel happy and relaxed like other people do when they drink". Not gonna happen.

I will try to make a point of remembering this next holiday season so I can actually have a good holiday.

Off to do the errands.

Dagmar (smilie of me banging my head against a wall)

bargoo
12-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Happy Brthday, Krampus !!!!!

kittycat40
12-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Dagmar- sounds sucky. I like to drink but really have to watch. One should always be enough for me, but even that has some impact on me.

Aging is a biatch.

For me, it's come along with aging... it always boils down to remembering what I now know.

BillBlueEyes
12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
I was bemoaning yesterday that every time I walk in the break room and bypass the cookies, fudge, candy, yada yada, I should automatically lose a pound.

Exactly how I feel. Maybe I should carry the scale with me so it can see the sacrifices I'm making.

Finally got around to getting some stocking stuffers - my job. I get emails suggesting iPods for stocking stuffers. I get cough drops, LOL. And one serving containers of soup. Had to go to Whole Foods to get the tree nuts for the kids stockings - no one else around here is selling them by the pound. I only need six of each kind. Still need a tangerine (or equivalent) for the bottom - just before the five gold-colored dollar coins in the toe. There are traditions not to be meddled with.

saef
12-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Bill, I used to get a big navel orange in the toe of my stocking. And my grandmother would always tell me what a big deal it was when she was a child to receive an orange at Christmas. In Upstate NY, just before the first World War, this was apparently a luxury and a worthy Christmas gift for good children.

As for me, I liked Slim Jims, apricot fruit leather, and always, always, one of these

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4011/4428567158_c0d2bbbf58.jpg

WardHog
12-22-2012, 04:00 PM
We always got the lifesaver book, too, saef.

My daughter is getting office supplies in her stocking. She will be thrilled, and we will, too. She'll have her own mechanical pencils and lead, tape, stapler, post-its, etc. and we'll be able to find ours when we need them!

bargoo
12-22-2012, 04:09 PM
saef, I love Lifesavers ! I fogot to ask Santa to bring me some.

saef
12-23-2012, 11:32 AM
Bargoo, have you thought up a reward for yourself for your managing maintenance so well over the past year? Something kind & sweet for yourself? I'm hesitating to recommend a roll of Lifesavers, since I think non-food rewards are the way to go, but ... as for me, I don't crave Lifesavers at all, even Wild Cherry or Butterscotch, but I get a warm glow when I look at the pictures of Lifesaver books online. Since I was an only child, I had a truly prodigious Christmas stocking. It was actually a pair of long-johns, with a snap-on flap at the back -- not real ones, of course, made of Christmas-y red felt. That thing was always crammed on Christmas morning, and yes, it was mostly my father's job to fill it.

I am getting little whiffs of Christmas spirit here and there, though I'm tense from keeping my mother entertained. She has two settings: unconscious and frenetically active. She's a lot more extroverted than me. She doesn't read or do quiet things on her own, but likes assembling things or working on projects. When I want to lie about after returning from the gym, she's ready to go places & do things. So this is not a relaxing holiday for me.

traveling michele
12-23-2012, 12:51 PM
I had forgotten about those lifesaver books-- I always got them too-- usually for Hanukkah though! My favorites were wild cherry. Haven't had any in a million years....

WardHog
12-23-2012, 01:37 PM
I gave DH one for Hanukkah one year and he thought I had lost my mind. Apparently it is not a Hungarian tradition.

BillBlueEyes
12-23-2012, 02:19 PM
Now I want a book of lifesavers for Christmas. It was a BIG deal when we got those as kids - I loved them.

Yep, my kids would think I'd lost my mind if I produced one of those for them, LOL.

Mudpie
12-23-2012, 05:31 PM
We never had stockings as kids because Santa came on Christmas eve and hand delivered our presents. Made it kinda awkward on Christmas Day - everyone else in the neighbourhood was opening gifts and eating their dinner and we didn't really do much of anything.

DH instituted stockings for the two of us when we moved in together.

Handy that we all married (or in my case "am with") non-Estonians so that now we get 2 celebrations each year. And there is no arguing which spouse's family we spend the holiday with.

Dagmar :tree:

bargoo
12-23-2012, 07:17 PM
We always opened gifts on Christmas Eve. Christmas Day was for a big Holiday dinner with relatives.

alinnell
12-24-2012, 12:09 AM
In my family, I wanted to open at least one present on Christmas Eve, but my parents wouldn't allow it.

When my kids were little, they got to open one--that I picked. Always pajamas. One year, that I thought they had outgrown the pajamas thing, I got chastised by my DD for not getting them pajamas to open!

Stockings were always little things and a little candy. Nothing much. No stockings this year. Or pajamas. It's a little sad without DD here. But I see her FB postings and it looks like she's having fun in Washington state.

Christmas for me, from the time I was in late elementary school through college was a huge celebration with my sister and her in-laws. We'd choose one house for brunch--there would be 12-16 of us. Then we'd all open presents, one at a time, so it would take hours! Then we'd go home for several hours and meet again at a different house for dinner. I cherished those days.

bargoo
12-24-2012, 08:17 AM
I will be missing for a few days , going to DS#2 tonight about 125 miles from here and will be home, I dunno, Wednesday or Thursday. This will be baby Faith's first Christmas , she is 9 months old. DS#1 and DIL will be going to San Diego to see DGS who can't come up this year so Christmas is a little scattered but will be joyous anyway,

ICUwishing
12-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Moley holy, I am ready to have my house, routine, and pantry back! No more eggnog, remove the cookies ... and I actually am looking forward to some plain steamed broccoli tonight! My innards have not been their usual cheerful and productive selves. ;). The scale damage has been minimal, only a pound, but I am fairly sure it is a real one. Over the last week or two, it would not be unrealistic to think I've had 3500 extra calories. It's been a good holiday so far - hope everyone else is doing well!

alinnell
12-26-2012, 10:29 AM
While I've had very few "treats" this weekend, the scale is up a bit. I tend to think it was from wine more than anything else. Unfortunately I have no good salad stuff in the fridge so I'll have to stop at some point today and get some to go with the leftovers in the fridge. I won't have to cook much at all--I have leftover carne asada and chicken for one dinner, stuffed shells for another (I think there is enough for the three of us), and Swedish meatballs for the third.

I never did have anymore of the eggnog, so that might be thrown out. I did buy a fruitcake--it only had four servings, but I cut it into chunks and served it with toothpicks last night as we played Cards Against Humanity. Only half was eaten--it wasn't nearly as good as my Mom's. Maybe next year I'll make a small loaf.

I got a tin of Swedish ginger cookies as a gift. I had two. Six is a serving, so I don't feel bad about that. At our Christmas eve party, I had one nibble of a cookie (DS ate the rest). I made caprese bites for an appetizer--cherry tomatoes with mozzarella and basil and then drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette. Everyone loved them! A healthier alternative to some of the other stuff there.

bargoo
12-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Allison , funny thing about the eggnog I have always liked it, I hadn't bought any this year but had some at a party. To my surprise I didn't care for it that much. I think that trying to eat healthy and avoiding unnecessary sweets ( most of the time ) has made sweets a little less appealing.

kittycat40
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
I have fallen into the carb addiction pathway/cycle. These past several days have been a slow but steady treat cycle directly into <no I won't eat carbs anymore> for ten seconds, them an overeating of them as a start to the day... and just continuing to munch spoon bite lick them in.

must halt! not tomorrow, but right this very minute. kudos to those who have diminished the taste for sweets. I was there but now I'm no longer with you.

to self: Stop the insanity! reminder reminder reminder

aim to check in with mission success (and own up if mission less than success)

alinnell
12-27-2012, 06:04 PM
kittycat, carbs are my bane as well. Especially this time of year. While it's hot I love a piece of cool fruit for breakfast, but in the winter I want something that'll "stick to my ribs" and that is often a slab of bread with cheese melted on top. It's not a good thing to fall back on.

Weight, which was up 2 pounds is now up 3 pounds.

Yes, I must stop now, too!

Mudpie
12-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I have fallen into the carb addiction pathway/cycle. These past several days have been a slow but steady treat cycle directly into <no I won't eat carbs anymore> for ten seconds, them an overeating of them as a start to the day... and just continuing to munch spoon bite lick them in.

must halt! not tomorrow, but right this very minute. kudos to those who have diminished the taste for sweets. I was there but now I'm no longer with you.

to self: Stop the insanity! reminder reminder reminder

aim to check in with mission success (and own up if mission less than success)

Sometimes I can stop myself by making and drinking a big pot of mint tea - no sweetener.

Shannon in ATL
12-27-2012, 07:38 PM
I have jumped off the cliff of my red line. None of my clothes fit, I feel terrible, over the last month my waist has increased by 2-3 inches and my weight is higher than when I joined 3FC for my final weight loss push in 2008. Bad bad bad. I'm still smaller today than I was then, and I'm at a better base than I was to start from today but still. Bad bad bad. I have to get things back under control.

krampus
12-27-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm up a couple pounds and weaning myself off the carbs too.

I'm off work this week and returning to routine eating is proving difficult. I normally don't eat anything until 1 or 2 in the afternoon and have no problem doing so while at the office, but with lots of free time I start thinking "is it feeding time yet?" well before noon, and it's not because I'm truly hungry for nutrients - it's just boredom/"vacation" eating mindset.

Now of course I am ACTUALLY hungry, sitting at maybe 600 calories thus far for the day, and waiting for my boyfriend to get here so we can eat is HARD!

alinnell
12-27-2012, 07:53 PM
Let's all give each other a big internet hug.

We will get over this!

bargoo
12-27-2012, 09:43 PM
I have jumped off the cliff of my red line. None of my clothes fit, I feel terrible, over the last month my waist has increased by 2-3 inches and my weight is higher than when I joined 3FC for my final weight loss push in 2008. Bad bad bad. I'm still smaller today than I was then, and I'm at a better base than I was to start from today but still. Bad bad bad. I have to get things back under control.

Shannon, you can do it . You did it before and you can do it again. I have faith in you. You WILL do it !

neurodoc
12-27-2012, 11:11 PM
Checking in here too. At my parents' apt. in NJ for the week, with the entire family in tow (yes, 5 of us plus 2 of them in a 2 bedroom condo unit). Somewhat stressful to say the least, but the proximity to Manhattan gives us daily incentive to get out of the apt. and do things. So far, my parents took the 3 kids to see Mulan on B'way, we went to the Picasso exhibit at the Guggenheim, saw a German art film at the Angelika in SoHo, spent a pleasant (if wet) afternoon in our old stomping grounds of Park Slope in Brooklyn, and did a highly unpleasant (overcrowded, whiny children, innumerable street hustlers) walk along 5th Avenue on Christmas day.

Weight is currently unknown. Last weigh-in, the morning of the 24th (before we left home) was still 3 pounds over redline (which I've moved down to 122), but I haven't been particularly indulgent since arriving, with several-hour walks each day and one vigorous gym workout yesterday morning. I'm hoping to return home without further damage, by avoiding all indulgences except some alcohol on New Year's eve (easy for me to avoid Christmas gluttony, being Jewish). OTOH, like many others on this board, sweets and carbs call out to me 24/7, not just on special occasions like Christmas. And my mom is not known for her low-carb approach to eating.

saef
12-28-2012, 11:27 AM
Paying for my complacency by seeing a scale reading that's four pounds higher than last Friday. Yes. Four pounds higher.

And yes, I managed this without eating ANY of the following, all of which were mentioned on the board here or available in my home to my mother: eggnog, cookies, cake, chocolate, ice cream, pastries, etc.

No, I had no carby or sugary holiday goodies. At all.

This weight is just from portion creep, and from swapping out staples: Dining on prime rib rather than flank steak, using brown rice in my jambalaya, and ingesting a bit of salt in hummus and slices of ham.

(And probably also due to sore muscles from bench pressing and continuing my weight training, but I don't want to use that as an excuse.)

This is what kills me, how very little deviation it takes to produce a big swing in weight.

I thought I'd come out of the holidays ahead, but not so.

bargoo
12-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I am up a bit, too, still under goal but on the upside. The thing that is so maddening is I can gain it so quickly and it takes such a long time to take it off. I think I inadvertly gave someone the idea I had a diminished taste for sweets, not so. I still love anything sweet but , most of the time I can avoid them or reduce portions. I would hate to tell you what I ate at a Christmas Brunch, smaller portions but it still caused an increase in weight. My new motto is going to be Eternal Vigilance.

alinnell
12-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Portion increase is obviously one of my problems.

Second helpings aren't helping either.

ICUwishing
12-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Kissed the 150 mark this morning, not even a day after deciding that my 2013 goal is to not see that number for the entire year. It's a needed wakeup - there's been too much junk around and the "holiday" has become the dreaded "holi-week", which always has the potential to not end until the whole project has to be restarted. Not goin' there! :snooty:

I'm still formulating what I want my 2013 to look like. Looking forward is helping me avoid a complete tailspin of negativity, so I'm occupying all the voices in my head with budget planning and schedule tweaks. I HATE that little traitor who is smugly assuring me that 3 pounds is just the beginning of the next 25 ... baloney!!!

I will go back to what works, immediately.

alinnell
12-28-2012, 10:06 PM
While I'm not nearly as high as I was at this time last year, I really, really thought I'd be back at 140 by now. Ok. It can be done. Instead of starting at 163 (is that where I was?), I'll be starting at 153. 10 pound loss in one year is not too shabby.

We'll all get through this!

ICUwishing
12-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the perspective, Allison - I am also nowhere near erasing this year's losses. And hey, it's only the 28th. I have the option to end 2012 on a very positive note. I needed that! :hug:

We should resurrect that blog post from about a year ago about "perfection" and the hideous carnage in its wake. I'll have to see if I can find it. :)

Added: And while waiting for my laptop to finish its backup, I found it. Worth a re-read: http://www.danoah.com/2010/09/disease-called-perfection.html

bargoo
12-29-2012, 01:44 AM
Becky, thanks for sharing this important message.

saef
12-29-2012, 09:36 AM
Got on the scale this morning to see if yesterday's weight had held or if it was a high due to something temporary, like not having gone to the bathroom beforehand.

This morning, I'm 2.3 pounds higher than I was last Friday, not four whole pounds higher. Okay. That seems a little more probable.

Off to the gym and then to errands before our snowstorm hits.

Mudpie
12-29-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm scaling back the eating this weekend - watching my portions and eating mostly soup and salad. I haven't weighed myself since Dec. 17 so this Monday should be interesting. Whatever the number :yikes: is I know it's temporary from all the deviations :ink: from routine over the holidays. I will lose the "holiday weight" in about 2 weeks - my crystal ball prediction for Jan. 2013. :p

WardHog
12-29-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, this week-end is my last hurrah. I haven't been on the scale since Dec. 21 but I will weigh Jan. 1 and start fresh. I am such a cliche!

Shannon in ATL
12-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the reminder of the perfection post, Becky. I needed it.

I'm still weighing daily, but am numb to the number. I'll get through NYE and recover. DH is down with what is likely the flu so I have my hands full with DSS and the last holiday party at my parents. They were supposed to come up here, but my mom is also recovering from flu and dad has a lot going on at work. So DSS and I are going down while DH rests. I'm already tired and overwhelmed and so ready for the holidays to be over.

bargoo
12-29-2012, 10:58 AM
This is a portion of a quote I saw on another forum ..."Maintenance is losing the same 4 pounds repeatedly".... I thought it was a very apt description of what happens in maintenance.

alinnell
12-29-2012, 11:49 AM
I can't seem to get the photo downloaded to share, but the words were pretty funny. "When what to my wondering eyes should appear...But ten extra pounds on hips, thighs and rear."

Not ten! We're all suffering from a couple pounds! We can get through this together!!!

In other news, we are the proud new owners of a building! Some roof and electrical repairs need to be done and some cement slab d&d and then we can start moving in. Logistically, the only difficult thing will be the phones. Our current phone system is so antiquated, so I'm going to find someone to get us a new system and then hopefully keep all our same phone numbers.

bargoo
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM
Allison, congratulations on the new building, moving is a pain but so worth it.

ICUwishing
12-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Tree is unloaded, ornaments are stored, laundry is going, three final presents to wrap, it's almost 1pm and I have successfully resisted munching. Could use some advice, though ... I need to get Christmas tree sap off my carpet and the velvet tree skirt. What's worked well for that?

Mudpie
12-29-2012, 04:47 PM
Tree is unloaded, ornaments are stored, laundry is going, three final presents to wrap, it's almost 1pm and I have successfully resisted munching. Could use some advice, though ... I need to get Christmas tree sap off my carpet and the velvet tree skirt. What's worked well for that?

Out trees are boys - no skirts. I'm sooo helpful.

http://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Tree-Sap-from-Just-About-Anything.html

I have not tested the above methods.

bargoo
12-30-2012, 09:39 AM

You are early taking things down in my mind anyway, I leave everything up until Jan 1. I consider that week to be part of the Holiday Season.
I spent the day rearranging closets.I'm not sure I like the new arrangement.Who knows, I may put it all back to the way it was. It is kind of like rearranging furniture I actually have to see it before I am convinced the old way was best.

ICUwishing
12-30-2012, 03:33 PM
Results: Goo Gone worked beautifully on the tree sap, even on velvet. Getting bunny hair out of the skirt was harder, til I remembered the lint roller! Done!
Bargoo, I'm contemplating furniture arrangements too. We have people coming for NYE and I need to rethink things.
Dagmar, thank you for the link - lots of good info there! Maybe I can avoid using TSP on my tile ...
Congrats on the upcoming move, Allison!

Promising notes: my TRX trainer is properly hung up downstairs. And the scale was exceedingly generous in rewarding me for hanging tight to good foods yesterday.

bargoo
12-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Becky, good news on the scale. Sometimes I want to kiss mine and other times I want to throw it out the window.
This morning it was kind to me, down a little. Was it the chocolate mousse or the pumpkin pie calories leaving ?

alinnell
12-30-2012, 04:45 PM
While I'd like to keep my Christmas decorations up until January 1st, we celebrate 3 birthdays on January 1st, so I feel like I need to get them down. Besides, we're trying to fit in 4 rounds of golf this weekend, plus I need to bake a cake for the celebration. And Chico goes into see his oncologist tomorrow. There just isn't a whole lot of extra time!

traveling michele
12-30-2012, 06:53 PM
I haven't checked in before Christmas and was having withdrawal! I think my holidays sound much like many here so I'm glad I'm not alone.

Very very stressful with the in laws and all sorts of meals I can't control. I'm really not happy about tonight's dinner. Ham which I don't like or eat, mashed potatoes, bought rolls, green beans, and a Marie calendars pie. Guess I will be eating green beans and little else.

I leave in two days and am terrified of the scale. I did find a bikram studio and have been twice. Hopefully going tomorrow too. We have three dogs here including my in laws puppy that isn't the least bit house trained. Dewey had an accident the first day because he was excited and didn't know how to ask to go out, so every time the puppy has an accident, my mil tries to blame Dewey! I'm currently hiding upstairs but we have more guests coming in five minutes. Sigh.

Miss you all. I'll try to check in soon!

krampus
12-30-2012, 07:49 PM
The days after Christmas have been harder than Christmas and my birthday - I don't have to go to work and I've been eating SO MANY SWEETS it's rather disgusting.

TOM came today so perhaps the cravings will wane. Great timing - BF and I got a fancy hotel room for New Year's Eve tomorrow night in Montreal. If I'd known I was going to be in this bloated cranky bloody condition I would have suggested getting a roach motel or sleeping on someone's floor.

rrrrrrrrrr. This is all making me nervous since I went pretty nuts in winter 2010 and couldn't control my eating much at all until...winter 2011-2012...

bargoo
12-31-2012, 10:27 AM
I am happy to say I made it through the holidays without too much damage a slight increase in December but have managed to scare it away and ended the year at 15.2 pounds lighter than one year ago today, not quite at my vanity goal but I am happy about it and hope I can be happy about my weight next year at this time....that is my intent, anyway.
Happy Near Year , everyone !

losermom
01-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Ugh! As of this morning I'm 5 lbs higher than I'd like to be. I'd been avoiding the scale. I seriously do no know why I cannot learn that scale avoidance = weight gain for me. I'm off work until Monday but I'm glad the holidays (and subsequent in-law drama) is over.

I've undecked the halls and have been slowly trying to declutter drawers & closets. It's my mission to clear this house out this winter. My intention is to have it on the market by the end of March. DH is not on my timetable but he rarely is. His fear is that this house will sell and we'll have no home at all. Weird! My biggest fear is that we'll be in the midst of moving and no place to have DS17 high school grad party. I choose to bravely face the changes rather than letting my fears control me.

Sheila53
01-01-2013, 01:26 PM
We have similar goals, losermom. We're planning to put our house on the market in March, too, so I've been slowly getting rid of stuff. Getting my DH on the same page is tough, though. I keep reminding him that he'll have to pack up the stuff he takes to the new place. We are either 1) downsizing to our rental townhome in another part of town, or 2) moving to wherever my DH gets a job (he took a buyout in August). The uncertainty causes some stress, which I've been handling in my usual way--overeating. Not as badly as when I was 100 lbs. heavier, however, so that's encouraging.

Mudpie
01-01-2013, 03:00 PM
I too am putting a house on the market but probably in February (which my realtor says is the start of the "spring" market). Never done this before (or bought a house either) and its a challenge getting 50 years worth of stuff sorted, thrown out, given to charity, given away to family and friends, etc.
I have found it to be really stressful so far - thank goodness work was really slow in the fall and I could get most of this done then. Now work is starting to be frantic but the house is ready to go.

I haven't done much stress eating since September but I have been drinking more beer than is good for me.

We are lucky in that we do have a place to live when the house sells - our rental bungalow. My challenge is going to be to find a house to buy that is within my price range without it being a complete wreck. I don't want to live in a renovation for my entire life as a homeowner and can't really afford much reno anyway. I am determined to get a house though, however small, as I really, really want to have one more dog in my lifetime. Maybe two.

I'm hoping there is more of a range of properties on sale in spring.

And then there's DH and his stuff. He hasn't unpacked from our last move 6 years ago and he has, during our 6 years here, thrown out socks and underwear as they become unwearable. Nothing else.

I am setting the example by starting to cull everything I haven't touched for 2 years. That will be most of my stuff. I hope he starts to see that "stuff" is not what life is about. It's nice to have some, but not necessary to have heaps.

This probably belongs in the "Chat" thread but what the heck I'm here and it relates to some others' posts.

ICUwishing
01-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Hooray, we made it to 2013! Happy New Year to everyone - wishing for all a year of achievement and serenity! :)

I confess to be relieved that tomorrow will be a full return to normal routine. As I've done for the past several years, I'll disregard the first scale number of the year; experience indicates it's a "flyer" and artificially high. Unofficially, and just to prove that I did check it, it was 151.0. I don't expect to see that again! EVER.

Regarding clutter and acquisitions, I have the same problem. It seems like the more I get rid of, the more DH acquires and stuffs into the space that I've freed up. About the only positive part of it is that he's doing it out of my sight, since the majority goes into the basement. :rolleyes: This week I purged a massive bag of Christmas decorations, plus the cap and gown I had from my MS graduation in 2005. Next up - a biggie - my wedding dress. :dizzy:

alinnell
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Oh, my. I don't know if it is because I got up 3 hours earlier today than I have all weekend long, or if it was the dinner last night (lasagna that for some reason was tasting rather salty) but my scale was way up this morning. WAY up. I don't even want to say the number, it's that bad.

It appears I did a poor job of maintaining over the holidays.

Back to the diet today.

ICUwishing
01-02-2013, 10:41 AM
Allison, I feel your pain. Mine jumped up multiple pounds three days ago, and appears to be stuck there. Back to work! :) I look at it this way - if nothing else, it does kick off the new year with an invigorated sense of purpose, doesn't it? ;)

krampus
01-02-2013, 12:41 PM
I put on 2-3 holiday pounds. I hope it comes off as easily as it came on :P

traveling michele
01-02-2013, 03:17 PM
I'm joining the club-- the club that was freaked out at the scale reading today. Probably shouldn't have even weighed-- I knew it would be bad. But I did. Haven't seen a number that high in a couple of years. I hope it scared me straight.

I'm home from Texas, but I pick up dh and older dd from the airport later today. We still have dd's birthday on Jan. 4, so that will be another challenge. Unfortunately I have been giving in to even non challenges. Yesterday was really bad.

Today I forced myself to wake up at 4:30 to go to early Bikram Yoga because I wasn't sure if I could fit the workout in otherwise. I've never gone to the 6 am class before-- there were only 8 of us there. But I'm happy I did it. I've also been to the dentist, the grocery store and paid bills and it's only 11:00 so I feel productive at least.

Younger dd has a friend coming today for a few days too. She is an Austrailian foreign student and wants to see San Francisco. I'm not sure if we will do anything with them or if they will be on their own. I'm kind of hoping to get back to my routine as much as possible. I don't go to work until Monday which is both good and bad.

Shannon in ATL
01-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Poor job maintaining over the holidays here, too. All year really. I'm taking off my mnx ticker and putting a weight loss one in instead.

ICUwishing
01-02-2013, 04:04 PM
Spike may have a partial explanation ... TOM apparently felt left out of the New Year celebrations and decided to show up a full week early, without warning. Lovely. Just lovely. It might also explain some of my weaknesses around the sweet stuff recently ... :chin:

It sure felt good to have a normal breakfast at the normal time, and a normal lunch at the normal time.

traveling michele
01-02-2013, 11:46 PM
Not sure where to post this but I finally counted my exercise days for 2012. My goal was 310, and I ended up with 308 which is the same number as 2011. Not too shabby!

neurodoc
01-02-2013, 11:58 PM
I put on 2-3 holiday pounds. I hope it comes off as easily as it came on :P

HAH. Weight changes defy the laws of physics (or whatever says that things should change in the same way in both directions). I usually take 3x as long to lose weight as to gain it, pound for pound. And, thanks to a ridiculously indulgent New Year's Eve (chocolate, wine, champagne and tater tots? what was I thinking???) I was back up 2 pounds on January 2nd despite not having had a single off-plan day since leaving for NJ on Dec. 24th. I will never see my redline weight from the right side again at this rate.

Anyway, like most of you on this thread, I have finished with all holiday indulgences, purged the house of desserts (except the kids' candy, that I don't like), and sworn off my latest weakness - almonds and peanut butter - until I'm solidly back in maintenance mode. Unfortunately, I will be going in for (more) surgery next week, which will mean yet more time that I can't exercise. This time, to repair a torn shoulder labrum and cartilage, which I tore from, you guessed it, doing exercise (weight training) to help with weight maintenance.

Happy 2013 everyone.

Mudpie
01-03-2013, 06:22 AM
Are the holidays over? Should we start another thread?

bargoo
01-03-2013, 08:43 AM
Are the holidays over? Should we start another thread?

Maybe we should be thinking of a Spring theme, but must of us are still trying to recover from Holiday indulgences .
Heres a thought for a new thread....
Maintainers staying lean in 2013.

alinnell
01-03-2013, 10:15 AM
Today's scale reading was more in line with what I was seeing over the weekend. Still up a couple of pounds, but not ridiculous like it was yesterday! Even so, things need to go lower because I leave on my cruise a week from Saturday!

saef
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I can't even imagine spring at this point. I just want to make it through the winter. In my experience, January is actually far less bleak than I think it's going to be. I power through, fighting the early dark, borne aloft by good intentions. Somewhere in February and then through March, it becomes a slog. I was chatting with the manager at my gym the other day, and she said that by the second week in March, attendance falls off as the New Years resolutions fade. I'd thought it was after Valentine's Day, but no, the momentum usually lasts through that.

I am just a maintainer taking it day by day through the darkest and most difficult part of a Northeastern winter.

Mudpie
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
saef I hear you - I am doing my second day of 8 hours out in the snow (falling today, blowing yesterday) and start a sleep-over with a dog tomorrow night at 6 p.m.. I usually am totally spent by the end of February. So spring is not in my thoughts yet - surviving winter is!

How about "Maintainers staying strong through winter"?

Dagmar :tired: :brr:

ICUwishing
01-03-2013, 12:06 PM
Andrea, sorry you're facing the knife again. I wish you a full and speedy recovery on your wounded shoulder. Totally agree with you on the 3-times factor on losing a pound vs gaining one.

saef, I usually start to crack in mid-February. I've come to the conclusion that I need to gear up to move south, just enough to still have 4 seasons and to get at least one good freeze (to kill bugs), but for winter to be about six weeks shorter. I don't mind a little cold and gray, however a whole lot of it does make me somewhat crazy(er).

allison, good to hear you had a retreat on the scale! The green-eyed monster is sitting on my shoulder re your upcoming cruise. :)

michele, high five on your exercise!

krampus, you had a terrific 2012 with slipping on a healthy lifestyle. It'll work those 2-3 pounds back off in no time. Well ... "some" time. :dizzy:

dagmar, bargoo - agree, we've moved beyond the holidays. I'm all for something that gets my mind off the gloomy winter and moves the focus ahead to spring.

shannon, it doesn't look like I was able to hold the line too well either. It's a lifelong learning process - the great thing is that we don't have to go through the whole mess about figuring out what works! I'll be adding a ticker too, as soon as I commit to my metrics (Sunday night deadline).

Scale's still up. Could be bloat, could be Aleve-related, could be lack of sleep ... it's been many moons since cramps kept me awake. Grrr. Regardless, I'm fully back on my wagon. Maybe it will take 20 weeks to get the 4 pounds back off, but I still gotta get started. More grrrrr. :|

alinnell
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Regarding the winter gloomies: when I lived in Salt Lake we would experience something called an inversion. The Salt Lake valley is almost completely surrounded by mountains. The only "openings" are the canyons and of course the Great Salt Lake. In January and February, the pollution becomes trapped in the valley creating a pea-soup inversion that the sun cannot penetrate. You can escape by going up to the mountain resorts where you'll be greeted by blue skies and bright sun, but one can only go up there on occasion and the good mood that is created up there is always defeated upon return to the valley of smog. I used to think they ought to build giant fans to blow the crap out of the valley! Imagine having to use headlights at noon just to be able to have other cars see yours in the muck! I much prefer living here (even if we rarely get enough of a freeze to kill the bugs!). What else is strange about the inversion is that it also traps the cold air. You can actually go up to the mountains and it'll be spring-like temperatures but still freezing in the valley.

Sheila53
01-03-2013, 02:40 PM
Regarding the winter gloomies: when I lived in Salt Lake we would experience something called an inversion. The Salt Lake valley is almost completely surrounded by mountains. The only "openings" are the canyons and of course the Great Salt Lake. In January and February, the pollution becomes trapped in the valley creating a pea-soup inversion that the sun cannot penetrate. You can escape by going up to the mountain resorts where you'll be greeted by blue skies and bright sun, but one can only go up there on occasion and the good mood that is created up there is always defeated upon return to the valley of smog.

My DH was offered a job in SLC recently and this was one of the reasons he turned it down. While I grew up in Seattle and lived in western Oregon for years so I'm used to grey skies, inversions are a different beast. My eating behaviors go wonky when I'm stuck in an inversion with no way out, and I've heard that SLC's are among the worst.

ICUwishing
01-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Inversions sound perfectly awful. Trapped in dark, cold, polluted air? You won't find me there, no matter what the circumstances. I can imagine no greater misery! Dante can have his Inferno - at least it'd be warm there! ;)

ICUwishing
01-04-2013, 09:51 AM
The year is not off to the stellar beginning that I'd hoped. I am mired in TOM - literally the worst one since I was a teenager. I won't go into what's involved, since everyone's been there. Suffice to say that the scale not moving is the least of my issues. Guess all I can do is wait it out. Blah!

alinnell
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
My scale continues to amaze me. I'm about 2 pounds above what I was before the holidays--way better than the 7 it was showing just two days back. Obviously some serious water retention there! TOM for me as well, but it's all good (thankfully). However I got the call from my doctor that it's time to schedule my yearly exam. Hate that.

saef
01-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Yes, if I had to be stuck breathing in cold, polluted air in the near-dark, I'd rather do it in Manhattan or Brooklyn than Salt Lake City.

Becky, I almost envy you the clarity of having your period, since mine has disappeared, but is making its absence felt through various forms of hormonal mayhem. I think I've been having hot flashes. I also think that I have vestigial fluid retention of some sort, but now it's so much harder to chart because I don't have other evidence to back up just how long it lasts.

Andrea, I'm always so glad when you make an appearance on the forum, but then sorry to read of your struggles, because when anyone's away for a while, I tend to picture them thriving & not in any need of accountability or a sounding-board or crowd-sourcing. But don't we always imagine that other people have it all figured out, and we're the only ones who can't seem to manage what everyone else seems to effortlessly accomplish?

Also, I hate to sound like an eight-year-old boy here, but I think I'd have a better idea of what my weight really is post-holidays if my morning bathroom habits were a bit, well, more regular & clocklike, and if **that** always got taken care of in a satisfactory way before my weigh-in. I guess there is no delicate way to put that, is there? Anyway, I am definitely lower than my high weight, and very possibly, considerably lower ... but I can't quite tell from this morning's weigh-in.

bargoo
01-04-2013, 12:09 PM
saef, come heck or high water I weigh first thing in the morning after bathroom break , whether "that" has happened or not I find by being consistent I get a pretty accurate picture of what is happening weight wise.

krampus
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
Also, "that" doesn't always weigh as much as you'd hope it would.

Sorry about the terrible TOM, Becky...mine is getting lighter and lighter as time passes. I have always been fortunate to not have PMDD or bad PMS symptoms, but my skin always goes crazy and I have a day where I just want to hug everyone like a koala.

ICUwishing
01-04-2013, 01:31 PM
Thank you for the sympathy! Hoping this is just an isolated incident, as I've had nothing I would regard as a major issue for more than 30 years. If it's the "storm before the calm" ... believe me, after these last four days, I am totally willing to take my chances on the unknown. Even "that" is part of the act, along with every other misery you've ever heard of, except psychotic behavior (I think, but do the truly crazy know?). I am gaining sympathy for the "female troubles" crowd with every passing minute. I daydream that this is just a form of going out with a bang, like a dying car engine that suddenly red-lines before seizing completely.

losermom
01-04-2013, 03:47 PM
Like Saef, I don't have regular periods anymore after an ablation a couple of years ago, thankfully. However I do cycle periodically and I'm feeling especially bloated right now so I know something is up hormone wise. Luckily I rarely have the accompanying days of paranoia that used to come with more regular cycles. DD25 has them too. We're pretty sure that everyone is pointing and laughing about us...

bargoo
01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
Holidays are over time to move on, See new thread
Maintainers staying lean in 2013