Ideal Protein Diet - *HELP* To Dump Your Coach Or Not

View Full Version : *HELP* To Dump Your Coach Or Not

AZ247
12-01-2012, 03:57 PM
Here's the situation: My husband and I were following IP strictly for weeks. We were spending on average $200 (7 boxes or drinks) a week, not including supplements and the $15 monthly fee for a special measuring machine.

We then discovered alternatives and have spent $60 or less for 6 boxes or drinks.

We love our coach. She's wonderful but I wonder what will happen once she realizes we're no longer purchasing food? We would love to continue going to her for weigh-ins and supplements but don't coaches normally kick you out the program for this?

Should we be honest with her or just stop showing up all together and weigh ourselves weekly?

For those that are on alternatives does or did your coach allow you to only go in for weigh-ins? Were you honest with them?

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 04:10 PM
I would give your coach a chance to support you. After all, you are still their client! I have no experience in this, but I have to imagine most professionals would understand the financial strain and want to support your IP purchases and progress...

southern
12-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Ask your coach. she might be willing to sell you no or less boxes.
If not, you have plenty of support here and you have your husband.

drixnot
12-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Well... I guess what you should ask yourself is - "do I really need a coach?"

AZ247
12-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the advice! Hopefully someone responds that has experienced this.

AZ247
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Well... I guess what you should ask yourself is - "do I really need a coach?"

Not really but I do appreciate the advanced technology and I just like her. I would be willing to pay $15 monthly to continue weighing in plus the cost of the supplements.

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 06:22 PM
I "broke up" with my coach at week 10 on IP. I got to a point where 1) It was getting too expensive to keep up with financially, and 2) my coach was sweet, supportive...but not very INFORMATIVE. I learned more on this forum in two weeks than I had in 8 weeks with her. I told her what I was doing, she was not willing to continue to measure and weigh me if I wasn't buying the products from her. Thank you for your help, have a nice day, went out and bought myself a scale and a tape measure :)

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Not really but I do appreciate the advanced technology and I just like her. I would be willing to pay $15 monthly to continue weighing in plus the cost of the supplements.

Just FYI - that "special technology" is not as accurate as we would like to believe it is. If that's what is keeping you with your coach, save the $15 and go alternative. You can buy the IP supplements online at www.plainprotein.com - I still use all IP supplements and alternative food products.

MonicaKolesnik
12-01-2012, 06:39 PM
I "broke up" with my coach at week 10 on IP. I got to a point where 1) It was getting too expensive to keep up with financially, and 2) my coach was sweet, supportive...but not very INFORMATIVE. I learned more on this forum in two weeks than I had in 8 weeks with her. I told her what I was doing, she was not willing to continue to measure and weigh me if I wasn't buying the products from her. Thank you for your help, have a nice day, went out and bought myself a scale and a tape measure :)

I had about the same experience with my coach as scorbett did with one exception she said she would continue to weigh and measure me if I wanted and sell me whatever I needed. Give your coach a chance, tell them the truth and hopefully they will support you in your weightloss no matter how you get there. If not you can get what you both need online as previously said.

dawnwhite58
12-01-2012, 08:21 PM
I just had this conversation with my coach last night. This was my first time seeing her as my other coach was fired. I explained that I save $60 per month buying IP online. She really didn't comment as to whether she would continue seeing me or not, but said that it was important that the diet be medically supervised. The funny thing is; she is someone who recently lost 100lbs on the diet and then completed an IP course. I would hardly consider this medical supervision. I am still deciding what to do.

Fishette
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I just stopped making appointments. I buy alternatives from Costco and Nashua. I just didnt need the aggravation of some of the silly things the coaches would say to explain why it was my fault I wasn't hitting 3 lbs every week. I'm much happier now.

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 09:36 PM
I just had this conversation with my coach last night. This was my first time seeing her as my other coach was fired. I explained that I save $60 per month buying IP online. She really didn't comment as to whether she would continue seeing me or not, but said that it was important that the diet be medically supervised. The funny thing is; she is someone who recently lost 100lbs on the diet and then completed an IP course. I would hardly consider this medical supervision. I am still deciding what to do.

This was recently a topic in another thread - if you read the "official" IP literature, it states that it is "medically derived" (i.e a Doctor created it). And in order to sell Ideal Protein, you have to have some form of medical license. But that includes Pharmacist, Dentist, Naturopath, Nurse, EMT...quite literally ANY medical license. The corporate literature doesn't suggest that it has to be medically monitored, but that phrase is a very compelling marketing tool for people who run clinics.

maezy1
12-01-2012, 09:47 PM
AZ247 - I'm trying to make the same decision. I'm going to try to find the pure protein bars tomorrow at the grocery store. I'm also ordering from Nashua and seeing how I do. I'm confused with all of the info but I need to look through all the alternatives link and figure it out. I think my place is so busy that they would hardly notice if I bought or not!

NinjaNurse
12-01-2012, 09:54 PM
HeyAZ!! I just figured out who you are!! Welcome and thanks for the support on MFP.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am only in the middle of week 5. I would like to stay with the coaching thing until after the holidays. Mine have not given me the warm fuzzies, but I feel like they would think I failed by quitting. Not that I would ever see them again.
Let us know how it goes should you talk to your coach. I can see both points. Yes, they are supposed to help us, but they make their living on our business which includes the food.
GL!!

Great Dane
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM
This was recently a topic in another thread - if you read the "official" IP literature, it states that it is "medically derived" (i.e a Doctor created it). And in order to sell Ideal Protein, you have to have some form of medical license. But that includes Pharmacist, Dentist, Naturopath, Nurse, EMT...quite literally ANY medical license. The corporate literature doesn't suggest that it has to be medically monitored, but that phrase is a very compelling marketing tool for people who run clinics. Maybe it differs state by state.

I'm in Washington State. South central WA. There are maybe 4-5 difference organizations that are IP weigh in/sales centers. Our initial sales pitch was done by an OB/GYN. That's the first and last time we'll ever see an IP person that is a medical professional!!! The sales/weigh in people have absolutely (where I go) no medical credentials. They are trained by IP. They rent space at a clinic I think is the only connection to the medical community locally. Another place that sells IP is a bio-feedback place. Another is housed in a health clinic but that might be the only connection.Another is at a spa and organic grocer. hmmm

southern
12-01-2012, 10:18 PM
i don't think everyone has some kind of license. I've seen "coaches" who simply did the program

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Maybe it differs state by state.

I'm in Washington State. South central WA. There are maybe 4-5 difference organizations that are IP weigh in/sales centers. Our initial sales pitch was done by an OB/GYN. That's the first and last time we'll ever see an IP person that is a medical professional!!! The sales/weigh in people have absolutely (where I go) no medical credentials. They are trained by IP. They rent space at a clinic I think is the only connection to the medical community locally. Another place that sells IP is a bio-feedback place. Another is housed in a health clinic but that might be the only connection.Another is at a spa and organic grocer. hmmm

I've actually looked into opening a center - in order to apply to open a center you have to have an "area of expertise" on their list - MD, DO, RN, LPN, EMT, Dentist, Podiatrist, Naturopath, Registered Dietician, Clinical Nutritionist, Pharmacist. That's regardless of the state. Chances are good that centers in non-medical settings have some connection to someone with a certification who was willing to apply for the license to sell IP. You don't have to be certified in anything to be a coach, just to be licensed to sell the program.

Halfagain
12-01-2012, 10:49 PM
If you are not eating official IP brand packets, I think weigh and measure are all that is left that the coach can help with, if they are willing. The coach should not be expected to know the content or how alternative products work together (not that you indicated you wanted her to). Just saying, buying a scale and a tape measure seems a lot simpler than going to appointments for those things only.

CortneyMarie622
12-02-2012, 12:01 AM
I dumped mine around the 10 week mark. I never asked her if she would keep seeing me. They make their money by selling product so it did not seem right to me. Plus, should you run into problems it is not their food anyway. My husband does my weigh ins. I have not regretted it a minute.

Fishette
12-02-2012, 12:29 AM
Courtney- I see that we are in it to loose the same 35 pounds. I am in the final stretch and I just want to encourage you to keep up the good work. I just kept with the program one day at a time, and I still get surprised to see how far I've come...so glad the ticker reminds me. You can do it!

AZ247
12-02-2012, 09:55 AM
HeyAZ!! I just figured out who you are!! Welcome and thanks for the support on MFP.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I am only in the middle of week 5. I would like to stay with the coaching thing until after the holidays. Mine have not given me the warm fuzzies, but I feel like they would think I failed by quitting. Not that I would ever see them again.
Let us know how it goes should you talk to your coach. I can see both points. Yes, they are supposed to help us, but they make their living on our business which includes the food.
GL!!

I have to admit when I read that first line I thought "oh no! I've just been busted by my coach" LOL thanks for the mini heart attack and thanks for originally putting me on to this forum.

CortneyMarie622
12-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Courtney- I see that we are in it to loose the same 35 pounds. I am in the final stretch and I just want to encourage you to keep up the good work. I just kept with the program one day at a time, and I still get surprised to see how far I've come...so glad the ticker reminds me. You can do it!

Thanks for the encouragement!!

AZ247
12-03-2012, 07:21 AM
Meeting with my coach Tuesday. This is the 2nd week where I haven't made any purchases from her and probably the last week that I'll be able to get away with it...decisions decisions??

Roo2
12-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi - I have a maybe not so popular view ...so here it goes.
I work in the health profession I was educated and would not give my services away for. Free! Why would we expect a Coach to not be fin ancially compensated for their work.
Would you go to work and want to be paid less and expected to provide the same services.
I am amazed how people want to reciieve something for nothing or try to under pay for something.
If you did not want to pay or use IP products because you could not afford it then why did you not choose alternative method?

I feel like your trying to use IP methods without compensating them for it.
Would any of us like what we created to be high jacked like that?
Would you expect a Contractor to come out to your house start to work on it because you could'nt handle the job and partially thru the job want them to teach you how to do yourself because you did not want them .
I think all of us who have turned to professional dieting help did it because we were doing was not working .
I am very grateful for my wonderful Ideal Protein Coach who has help facilate by 70 lb weight loss since the end of June 2012.
My Coach is extremely knowlegleable and is passionate and she has clients that
are grateful with her help of making the transformations that has eluded them In the past,whether it is that 10lbs that they just can't get rid of or a morbidly obese person whose delay with numerous health issues.
None of us started IP because we were doing things right . Most of us if we our
Honest will admit we chose this route because we were not successful or motivated.

I think IP was not working for you then you would switch to a different program. But I fell that wanting to use their methods they they developed is akin to someone wanting cable and tapping into the line without paying for the service. Apparently some people rationalize what they do be it for financial reasons or whatever reason they feel justifies what they are doing.
In closing I believe in being compensated for my work and I don't think it unreasonable for Businesses to be compensated for theirs.

I wish everyone much success in their journey to transform their life.
Good Luck ,Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

NinjaNurse
12-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I have to admit when I read that first line I thought "oh no! I've just been busted by my coach" LOL thanks for the mini heart attack and thanks for originally putting me on to this forum.

:o:cool::flow2:

scorbett1103
12-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Roo2, I appreciate your opinion but there are several things you should understand:

1. Ideal Protein is a Ketogenic diet. This kind of dieting is used frequently in bodybuilding circles, it is not exclusive to Ideal Protein nor is it proprietary information.

2. Nobody is "hijacking" ideal protein's information in order to do the diet without paying the price. The "Ideal Protein" brand originated from a diet created by Dr. Tran Tien Chenh, the information on how to follow his diet is quite publicly available on his website and in his books. Also many centers openly publish the diet plan on their website for public access.

3. Not everyone has access to the same kind of coaching you are privilege to. Some live too far away from centers to see a coach. Others have dealt with coaches that use scare tactics, or are completely disinterested in actually "coaching" and only interested in selling product. Count yourself lucky you have a good experience, but realize that is not necessarily the case for everyone.

4. Financial reasons are a VERY valid reason to choose not to use Ideal Protein's specific products but still follow the plan. I speak very personally when I say that as a mother of two children under the age of 6, and the sole income for my family as my husband is finishing his college degree, finances are not a "justification" for using alternative products, they are an absolute necessity if I am going to take control of my health (for my and my family's sake) before I start experiencing serious health issues due to obesity.

Good luck on your journey.

wuv2bloved
12-03-2012, 02:05 PM
Agree with Sorbett, I have given myself up to a lot of people here for FREE, I don't expect anything in return, its just who I am. Sometimes its the things we do in life for others that we get the most reward or payment from. I give my advice for free, some want it some don't....some think I am mean, some call it tough wuv...whichever it may be I still give it. If I got paid for all of the info I have given on here over the last 19 months I wouldn't have to work anymore. All of us need each other to help in this journey. just my 2cents

libertybelle
12-03-2012, 02:16 PM
Roo2: First, I am so impressed with how well you are doing! You and I are on a similar overall track and I hope to get where you are!

Second, I think Scorbett and Wuv voiced some things many of us were thinking.

Third, I also think it is important to remember that AZ247 didn't imply they wanted anything for free. They still plan to buy their supplements from their coach if they keep seeing them. And they still pay MONEY to be measured. So, I don't think anything is being given away for free.

I think you voiced an integrity we all feel and respect There are many variables for each of us. If we continue to respect each other's path, and have empathy for the work and struggles each as to keep this going, it all balances out. Supporting each other is our strongest asset. And that is everywhere. Including in your wishes for everyone's continued success.

This board, their support of one another, their knowledge and willingness to share, that kind of support and kindness, gets me through every hard moment of this diet. I don't think anyone is trying to get away with anything or take advantage of anyone.

To continued successes!!

MustangMolly
12-03-2012, 04:50 PM

That sounds like your answer then. Explain the financial strain and ask if she would continue with the weigh ins and supplements. I dumped my coach in part because of cost but mostly because he was not at all helpful. I now use mostly alternatives and am having equal success to the IP. If money was not an issue I would probably have sought out another coach and stayed on IP just because of the accountability. Good luck to you.

az365
12-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I wouldn't call your view unpopular. Many in this forum feel that way. The view is far from unpopular, it's just not accurate.

Hi - I have a maybe not so popular view ...so here it goes.
I work in the health profession I was educated and would not give my services away for. Free! Why would we expect a Coach to not be fin ancially compensated for their work.
Would you go to work and want to be paid less and expected to provide the same services.
I am amazed how people want to reciieve something for nothing or try to under pay for something.
If you did not want to pay or use IP products because you could not afford it then why did you not choose alternative method?

I feel like your trying to use IP methods without compensating them for it.
Would any of us like what we created to be high jacked like that?
Would you expect a Contractor to come out to your house start to work on it because you could'nt handle the job and partially thru the job want them to teach you how to do yourself because you did not want them .
I think all of us who have turned to professional dieting help did it because we were doing was not working .
I am very grateful for my wonderful Ideal Protein Coach who has help facilate by 70 lb weight loss since the end of June 2012.
My Coach is extremely knowlegleable and is passionate and she has clients that
are grateful with her help of making the transformations that has eluded them In the past,whether it is that 10lbs that they just can't get rid of or a morbidly obese person whose delay with numerous health issues.
None of us started IP because we were doing things right . Most of us if we our
Honest will admit we chose this route because we were not successful or motivated.

I think IP was not working for you then you would switch to a different program. But I fell that wanting to use their methods they they developed is akin to someone wanting cable and tapping into the line without paying for the service. Apparently some people rationalize what they do be it for financial reasons or whatever reason they feel justifies what they are doing.
In closing I believe in being compensated for my work and I don't think it unreasonable for Businesses to be compensated for theirs.

I wish everyone much success in their journey to transform their life.
Good Luck ,Roo2:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

patns
12-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't call your view unpopular. Many in this forum feel that way. The view is far from unpopular, it's just not accurate.

Actually it is not totally inacurate. When I switched from going to a coach to using alternatives I completely left the clinic.
The clinic is a business which makes money by selling products.

Once I was not using the products I did not think it right to take up the coaches time at the clinic and also the coach could not give me advice when she was not familiar with the products I am using.
I think it is either clinic or alternatives, don't go to the clinic if you are not using the products.

I am also sure the coach would not allow me to continue going if she noticed I was not buying the correct amount of products for the week.

Pat

tam67green
12-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I have been considering "ditching" my coach myself, so have been interested in reading all the responses. My weigh-in center is a satellite office for the main office which is located about 20 miles away...and is run by a chiropractor. Granted, the chiropractor knows more about the body than I do, but I don't consider him an internal medicine or weight loss specialist. So I think the "medically supervised" thing may be mainly a marketing ploy.
I see two different people when I weigh in, depending on who is there. As far as I can tell, their credential are they they have gone thru the program themselves. One only weighs, measures and sell products--doesn't even look at my food journal. The other one looks at my food journal, will give suggestions, weighs and measures me, but I spend 10-15 minutes tops with her and I feel like she is always rushing me out. Plus, she usually gets 3 or 4 text messages while I'm with her, and always attends to them. I've checked my scale and while it weighs me higher than their scale does, it's consistent. Every time their scale says I've dropped 2 lbs., my home scale says the same thing.
I'm not sure what I'm going to do, but I think I will make a decision one way or the other after the New Year. I'm not sure I need a coach and I think I can do it myself--with this forum for support, of course! :D

LoriKay
12-16-2012, 09:55 PM
I'm done!! I have just decided to quit my new coach. She is horrible and I recently found out partially why the ENTIRE staff at the clinic quit last month. They still won't say exactly what happened but I do know that they wanted to continue what was in the clients best interest and the owner of the clinic was more concerned about the money they pulled in. I don't want to support a business that no longer supports me. Thankfully I'm on phase 4 and will be ok. I'll be coming here for more support than ever!!!

Fishette
12-16-2012, 10:11 PM
You've been so successful, LoriKay - you could start your own clinic!

LoriKay
12-16-2012, 10:48 PM
You've been so successful, LoriKay - you could start your own clinic!

Thanks!! I'm not anywhere as knowledgable as my previous coaches who were all RNs, but I'm pretty sure I know as much or more as the current coaches. I'm going one more time so I can make sure on my measurements.

amberjules
12-18-2012, 05:31 PM
If you go off of IP onto Alternatives, how do you know what to do in Phase 3-4?

Alma4343
12-18-2012, 05:49 PM
If you go off of IP onto Alternatives, how do you know what to do in Phase 3-4?

The phase sheets are posted in the sticky threads at the top. Also, ask questions here, everyone will help you out. Good luck!

Billster
12-18-2012, 07:03 PM
The best choice for me was to leave my clinic. It was over an hour drive one way and they were only open during the week, which made a very long day after working 8 hours. I have been able to keep myself on track by using my fitness pal app. I have started using my Tuesday nights to exercise now that I'm not doing all this extra driving. It ws the best choice for me, however thats soemthing you have to decide.

amberjules
12-18-2012, 11:33 PM
The phase sheets are posted in the sticky threads at the top. Also, ask questions here, everyone will help you out. Good luck!

Thanks Alma!

I'm not sure I actually want to leave my coach just because I'm still so new to everything and honestly, I like the fact that I'm being "monitored" if-you-will, to keep me going. Maybe when I get stronger and more results.

I honestly love all of the support here and have learned so much from everyone!

sonyainva
12-19-2012, 08:46 AM
There are some great coaches in ip, I have a fab one.

Very supportive and gives me individual attention, tweaks my diet, looks for where I goofed.

Love her

AZ247
12-19-2012, 03:36 PM
Just an update...I let the coach know I wasn't returning for financial reason. She was very understanding and in turn sent me all the phases paperwork in case I continued on my own. I'll have to assume she had an inkling of what I was up too. She's an amazing coach and I miss her.

It's been three weeks with no coach and my losses have been amazing still :-)

LoriKay
12-19-2012, 09:36 PM
Way to go AZ!! My last day with my coach was Tuesday. I'm on phase 4 and would have liked to keep her for a few more weeks but I get so crabby every time I go in I decided it wasn't worth it! I did leave on a good note so I can go back if I need to.