Ideal Protein Diet - Straight Up Crispy Cereal?

View Full Version : Straight Up Crispy Cereal?

Debrasb
12-01-2012, 08:51 AM
So, other than the pancakes and other cooked recipes, how do people eat the crispy cereal? Straight up per the package directions? Is that any good?

Hgamroth
12-01-2012, 08:54 AM
I have had the crispy cereal mixed with the water then drizzled with WF chocolate syrup. Cocoa Crispies!

Onyxmom
12-01-2012, 11:30 AM
My favorite way to eat the crispy cereal is straight up with some cinnamon or pie spice added before stirring in the water. (I add these same spices to my oatmeal, too.)

NinjaNurse
12-01-2012, 11:39 AM
I ate it 'straight up' once. It was disgusting.

benice
12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I eat it straight up. It's not rice krispies, but its passable. I think making sure the water you use is SUPER cold is key.

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 11:43 AM
Since some people enjoy things others don't, I'm pretty careful not to call something "disgusting" because my "disgusting" can be someone else's favorite (actually, from reading over these five months, I'm absolutely sure that is true).

Let's keep it POSITIVE and talk about what we LIKE! If someone loves something I hate, I usually just don't comment at all...

I gave my mom some packets I didn't prefer. Its neither good nor bad that I have different tastes than her. Luckily IP has a taste for ALL of us ! (and I had a place to send the stuff I didn't want!)

A couple times when I was on Atkins somebody called my food "gross" or "disgusting". It really hurt my feelings. That was a long time ago but I still remember who & when.

chicago girl
12-01-2012, 11:49 AM
I love the Crispy Cereal straight up but agree with benice the water needs to be super cold. The first time I tried it, I did not really like it. But I tried it again and am hooked. I eat it everyday for breakfast straight for the last 15 weeks! I LOVE it!

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 11:50 AM
When I first started IP, I did NOT like the Crispy Cereal as-is, I could only use it as pancakes. BUT your taste buds change the longer you are on the diet. After about a month, I had found myself stuck for breakfast one day and had to eat it as cereal. It was not nearly as bad as I had remembered, and it is pretty good with some WF chocolate syrup! It's not Rice Krispies in milk, but it works for now :)

jmuroff1
12-01-2012, 12:11 PM
I personally wasn't a fan of it when I tried it but I may try it with the WF Chocolate Syrup :)

AnnaBoBanna
12-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I liked it straight up! But then again, I also like fiber cereals, etc.

Debrasb
12-01-2012, 01:15 PM
Thanks everybody. You have given me the courage to at least give it a try with some chocolate syrup. I have been hesitant, in part because the carb count is high relative to some of the other things (7g vs. 4 or so in the cappuccino shake, for example).

For a few weeks I was getting losses of about 1 lb per week, and my coach suggested that I should watch the counts so that I only had one higher unrestricted each day. So for ex., not 3 chocolate shakes. So if my choice is a chocolate shake or the crispy cereal, the shake seemed more appealing.

Anyone else watch counts in this way?

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
I've had more than usual stomach pain since beginning this diet. I have found that the crispy cereal is one of the two packets I can eat that actually helps to settle my stomach a little. So, I keep it on hand for those moments. It isn't my favorite packet, but it has other attributes I love like lessening any discomfort! As well, some of the ideas here might lead to it becoming a fav. So, it might help someone else stay OP in the midst of an angry stomach???

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Since some people enjoy things others don't, I'm pretty careful not to call something "disgusting" because my "disgusting" can be someone else's favorite (actually, from reading over these five months, I'm absolutely sure that is true).

Let's keep it POSITIVE and talk about what we LIKE! If someone loves something I hate, I usually just don't comment at all...

I gave my mom some packets I didn't prefer. Its neither good nor bad that I have different tastes than her. Luckily IP has a taste for ALL of us ! (and I had a place to send the stuff I didn't want!)

A couple times when I was on Atkins somebody called my food "gross" or "disgusting". It really hurt my feelings. That was a long time ago but I still remember who & when.

Lord, I realized just yesterday that I actually get my feelings hurt easier than I realized, and probably easier than creates a happy life!

I completely agree about the different tastebuds and the positivity. The exception for me is specific items compared to their "traditional" taste:
If I love tomato soup, and 10 tomato soup lovers tell me the tomato soup isn't good to them, but 1 says they love it, then I have better information for spending my precious money on new packets. I won't refuse to try it, but I'll know to be careful of buying a whole box.
Whereas if 90% of the mushroom soup lovers tell me mushroom soup is fabulous, I might be more willing to take that risk.
In each scenario, I know I might be in the 10%, but I feel safer spending almost $30 on a box!
I find one of the most worrisome parts of this in the beginning is opening a packet that I don't like and not having a back up. The more information I have to make the best choices with my money until I've stocked up some "back ups" the less likely I am to run into a bind.

southern
12-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Lord, I realized just yesterday that I actually get my feelings hurt easier than I realized, and probably easier than creates a happy life!

I completely agree about the different tastebuds and the positivity. The exception for me is specific items compared to their "traditional" taste:
If I love tomato soup, and 10 tomato soup lovers tell me the tomato soup isn't good to them, but 1 says they love it, then I have better information for spending my precious money on new packets. I won't refuse to try it, but I'll know to be careful of buying a whole box.
Whereas if 90% of the mushroom soup lovers tell me mushroom soup is fabulous, I might be more willing to take that risk.
In each scenario, I know I might be in the 10%, but I feel safer spending almost $30 on a box!
I find one of the most worrisome parts of this in the beginning is opening a packet that I don't like and not having a back up. The more information I have to make the best choices with my money until I've stocked up some "back ups" the less likely I am to run into a bind.

I agree, if everyone withheld their opinion to spare those that do like it, my money would be all over the place.
Having a problem with the language used is one thing, but only being able to talk about what I do like, and not being able to say "I didn't like it all" lessens my chances to make an informed decision.

lessmeansmore
12-01-2012, 06:19 PM
So, other than the pancakes and other cooked recipes, how do people eat the crispy cereal? Straight up per the package directions? Is that any good?

I tried it straight up shortly after I started IP in October, and I really disliked it. Gave it another shot a few days ago, and it still tastes terrible to me.

maezy1
12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
I could take it or leave it, most of the time I leave it. Haven t tried the pancakes yet so that may change once I make it into something else!

coloradogirl
12-01-2012, 07:25 PM
I enjoy the crispy cereal. If you used to have cereal every morning, it is passable. It calmer my "angry stomach" just like yaellebelle said. It helps me to have a solid, quick breakfast before work in the morning. I eat it every morning plain but I think ill try some spices like you guys in the morning.

southern
12-01-2012, 09:23 PM
i mix a little of my vanilla shake with water for cereal

cbl70
12-01-2012, 10:56 PM
I loved the crispy cereal but it does need to be mixed with really cold ice water. Otherwise its just OK.

laury411
12-02-2012, 03:42 AM
I loved the crispy cereal but it does need to be mixed with really cold ice water. Otherwise its just OK.

I agree the colder the better it taste, but you can also add a stevia packet for a closer resemblance to Rice Krispies. Ive also added pumpkin pie spice and it was good.
The pancake recipe is yummy, and I've used the cereal for muffins. It's very versatile.

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 07:55 AM
Thanks everybody. You have given me the courage to at least give it a try with some chocolate syrup. I have been hesitant, in part because the carb count is high relative to some of the other things (7g vs. 4 or so in the cappuccino shake, for example).

For a few weeks I was getting losses of about 1 lb per week, and my coach suggested that I should watch the counts so that I only had one higher unrestricted each day. So for ex., not 3 chocolate shakes. So if my choice is a chocolate shake or the crispy cereal, the shake seemed more appealing.

Anyone else watch counts in this way?

Interesting.
Did it help?
My coach isn't trying to tweak the unrestricteds. She DID point out that some select veggies have higher carb counts than others and gave me a spreadsheet (this is actually similar thinking). Armed with that knowledge, I looked at carb counts of packets and chose lower carbs (using puddings for shakes, for example). However after some slower losses, decided to mix it up a bit, since many here have commented that going too low actually SLOWED their losses.

Some coaches limit restricted, as well, making them super-restricteds, even tho the protocol doesn't call for that (according to the protocol there is only one super-restricted packet). I just try to remember there is more to IP than carb/fat/cal. There is also the acid/alkaline balance. IP makes decisions on what is unresticted/restricted/super-restricted/off-limits based on science but some coaches try to tweak based on???

At least your coach was actually responding to something. Some coaches treat people like they are cheating if they don't achieve the 3-5 lb weight loss weekly. IP is removing that claim from their literature. My coach just got all new literature and it isn't on ANY of it.

scorbett1103
12-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Interesting.
Did it help?

At least your coach was actually responding to something. Some coaches treat people like they are cheating if they don't achieve the 3-5 lb weight loss weekly. IP is removing that claim from their literature. My coach just got all nurse literature and it isn't on ANY of it.

This is such good news!!!! Too many people are getting discouraged or having coaches set unrealistic expectations because of that.

libertybelle
12-02-2012, 09:53 AM
I am SO GLAD they are removing that claim!!! My doctor is letting me try IP, with a handful of conditions, and some modifications, the first obviously being that it is working. I am having to keep this daily log for her. When for 7 days In the first 11, I didn't see any weight change, and when looking at everyone's trackers, that seemed to not be the norm, I became so anxious that my doctor was just going to pull me. But my expectations of "working" were set by that claim. I see her again this month, but I send her my "log" daily. I think she is going to let me keep going!!!
We don't need to feel like we are failing when we are succeeding!

libertybelle
12-02-2012, 09:55 AM
Lisa: I think it would be great if you posted a new thread letting everyone know that claim is being removed!

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 10:02 AM
I am SO GLAD they are removing that claim!!! My doctor is letting me try IP, with a handful of conditions, and some modifications, the first obviously being that it is working. I am having to keep this daily log for her. When for 7 days In the first 11, I didn't see any weight change, and when looking at everyone's trackers, that seemed to not be the norm, I became so anxious that my doctor was just going to pull me. But my expectations of "working" were set by that claim. I see her again this month, but I send her my "log" daily. I think she is going to let me keep going!!!
We don't need to feel like we are failing when we are succeeding!
Um...you've lost 9 lbs, correct?
Success in my book!

I'll get the "details" from my coach and then I'll post a thread. Thanks for the idea

libertybelle
12-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Um...you've lost 9 lbs, correct?
Success in my book!

HUGE Success in mine! Bigger than HUGE to me. But when you know your doctor is looking at it daily, evaluating whether to continue it, and day 11 weight is the same as day 4, you get really nervous that she might see those first three days as an anomaly! -Especially if the dietitian has told her that the norm is very different!

breezie68
12-02-2012, 11:02 AM
I love the Crispy Cereal- one of my faves plain or in pancake form. The pancakes changed my life LOL

Debrasb
12-02-2012, 02:01 PM
At least your coach was actually responding to something. Some coaches treat people like they are cheating if they don't achieve the 3-5 lb weight loss weekly. IP is removing that claim from their literature. My coach just got all new literature and it isn't on ANY of it.

As always, thanks so much for your thoughtful responses. My coach is very open to trying to modify like this when I don't get the results I want. They seem to be (without saying it) happy when I have at least a 2.5 lb loss in a week. But I have had many weeks with 1.5 or less. I think at a minimum, the suggestion to look a bit at the unrestricteds at least gives me something to work on after a week that wasn't as great. They also have suggested after low weeks to try a week with no restricted at all, or to try only every other day.

So of course the question now is--did it make a difference?? I can't really tell yet. This past week I did no restricted and I lost 2.6. This coming week I have work travel and am planning at least 3 restricted since I will be in flight and a bar will likely be easier than a shake. So I'll let you know if this coming week there's any difference.

CortneyMarie622
12-02-2012, 07:57 PM
I am not a fan of it straight but LOVE pancakes made out of it. I have also tried making a biscuit with it...it sort of worked.

nobylspoon
12-03-2012, 07:29 PM
I make the pancakes several times a week. Today I used it to make hamburger buns for my bison burger. It really hit the spot. :)

rofl306
12-03-2012, 07:43 PM
I make the pancakes almost daily! I add cinnamon which also makes my house smell wonderful!

I have taken rhubarb and cooked it on the stove, and mixed in WF jam type spread so it tastes like fruit. Very good on the pancakes. I will makes these anytime of day.

RachelDinAK
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I eat them straight out of the packet. I kinda like them... or atleast they don't gag me like the omelet did. :)

Sugarcoatedcandygirl
12-03-2012, 10:22 PM
I actually love it with cinnamon and a bit of Splenda- tastes like cinnamon toast crunch!! Agree the water has to be super cold -I have gone o sar as to put the water in a metal shaker with ice before adding It to the cereal mixture!

tunafish246
12-05-2012, 11:54 AM
I usually add cinnamon and syrup (french vanilla or english toffee) and I really enjoy it then. And make sure you use cold water. If you use tap water and its not cold, its gross. I always use my water cooler water.