Ideal Protein Diet - Ideal Protein WEEKEND CHAT 12/1/2012

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 06:50 AM
:welcome:
Welcome back to the Daily Chat thread - post your plans for today, share what's been happening, ask questions!

Some forum lingo:
NSV = Non-scale victory
TOM = time of the month
WI = Weigh-in
WF = Walden Farms
OP = on program

Bookmarking:
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home page
Consider making it a bookmark or a favorite in your browser so you can come back easily to get your RDA of Ideal Protein information.
Ideal Protein Sub-forum Home Page
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet-236/

Information for newbies:
Check the sticky page for lots of good information and please read before asking what might be a frequently asked question (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/243142-have-question-about-ip-read-here-first-before-posting-question.html) here in the daily thread: Information on Ideal Protein phases (1-4), recipes, newbie guide, FAQ, and other important threads. IP Ultimate List Recipes, FAQ, Newbie Guide, Exercise, and other Important Threads
(http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/238801-ip-ultimate-list-recipes-faq-newbie-guide-exercise-other-important-threads.html)
More Recipes Here Mix'n in the kitchen...Recipes from the Rainbow (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow.html)
MiX'N' iN THE KiTCH'N.... Recipes from the Rainbow Volume 2 (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/268669-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-volumn-2-a.html)
here Fun with Ideal Protein Packets (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/212175-fun-ideal-protein-packets.html)
and here Fun with Veggie Purees! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264231-fun-veggie-purees.html)

Tickers and Signatures:
There are 2 requirements to have access to signatures and tickers. You must have been a member of 3fatchicks for 20 days AND posted at least 20 messages anywhere on the 3fatchicks forum. When you've met those requirements check The Ultimate Signature and Ticker Thread for more information and instructions.
the Ultimate One-Stop Signature and Ticker Thread - Read here if you have questions! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/announcements-forum-help/203435-ultimate-one-stop-signature-ticker-thread-read-here-if-you-have-questions.html)

Quoting:
The best quoting tip - EVER!! (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/3427715-post155.html) Thanks Rosie, aka 6710.

Searching:
If you can't find what you're looking for in this forum using the website search function, try using the "double search" using Google.

1) Go to Google.com. Search 3fatchicks by using the term site:3fatchicks.com at the end of your Google search.

For example, if you want to look for "big mac in a bowl", type "big mac in a bowl site:3fatchicks.com" in Google search. No need to include the quotation marks when you type.

2) This will bring up the page that you are looking for, now hit Ctrl+F to search on that page. Type "big mac in a bowl" and all instances of that search term will be highlighted.

Progress photos:
have been moved to the Mini-Goal Photo Album.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/mini-goals-201/

Other helpful links related to the Ideal Protein diet:
Dr. Chanh Tran Tien's website
http://www.trantiendiet.com/site/spip.php?rubrique19

Minch
12-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Last night we went to a birthday celebration to a restaurant where I knew there would be NOTHING on the menu I could eat, so the host of the party asked the owners if there was a possibility they could make something special that fit into my diet. Of course they could! They were very pleased to do so as well! So the result was I stuck to plan and had a wonderful time with my extended family - no stress!

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 08:23 AM
Good weekend, everyone!

Have any of you noticed any general rules of thumb when measuring your veggies? Like 1large cucumber generally is about 2 cups...

Also, do any of you roast a whole garlic? If so, would it still count as seasoning or could it count as 1/4 cup vegetables? Don't think it converts to sugar like caramelized onions.

Good wishes for your IP weekend adventure!

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Minch: that is great. And absolutely the spirit of the holidays. How wonderful that you were able to enjoy the party as much as any other great and proud of the forward thinking! Way to go starting the holidays off right!!!

Cindy56
12-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Wishing everyone a great weekend!
Yaebelle: I believe that LizRR posted some equivalents for veggies a while back, I think in the recipes when she posted her veggie purees. Unfortunately, I only remember that 1 cucumber is 2 cups as you've noted! I'm not sure about the garlic. It does seem to get sweeter when roasted but not carmelized, so I'd also be interested to hear if anyone knows how to count it. It s delicious, isn't it? How are you planning to use it?

Have a wonderful OP weekend, all!

tam67green
12-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Good morning!
Since it's December 1, I think it's time for the me start pulling the holiday decorations out of the basement. Christmas is my abosolute favorite time of year! But before that, I need to clean, clean, clean! :-) I hate to clean, but love the results. Plus, staying busy on the weekend makes it easier for me to stay OP. Weekends are still a struggle for me, due to a looser schedule and the fact that we always seems to find ourselves out doing something when it's time to eat. Guess I need to plan better!
We are going to the Santa parade in our town tonight. My son is 11 and plays the trombone in the school band. The middle school and high school bands are going to play some songs for the Christmas tree lighting that happens before the parade begins. They close down our little Main Street for the parade, and it's lots of fun. Very small town Americana--I love living here!
I'm off to bully my 11-year old into helping me clean. Have a great weekend, everyone!

LizRR
12-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I did post some "rules of thumb" at the beginning, but remember it can be pretty relative depending on produce size. The link to the Fun With Veggie Purees thread is at the opening post of the chat.

12 miles done this morning and I feel great! Time to hit the showers!

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 09:03 AM
Good weekend, everyone!

Have any of you noticed any general rules of thumb when measuring your veggies? Like 1large cucumber generally is about 2 cups...

Also, do any of you roast a whole garlic? If so, would it still count as seasoning or could it count as 1/4 cup vegetables? Don't think it converts to sugar like caramelized onions.

Good wishes for your IP weekend adventure!

Garlic is NOT a vegetable, you can use it in small amounts as a seasoning but NOT eat a whole head. One cup of raw garlic has 200 calories and 45g carbs!!!

Rule of thumb - if it isn't on your list, don't do it :)

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 09:08 AM
Garlic is NOT a vegetable, you can use it in small amounts as a seasoning but NOT eat a whole head. One cup of raw garlic has 200 calories and 45g carbs!!!

As Scorbett shows us, when in doubt, Google is your friend! ;)
Thanks for the info chickie :hug:

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 09:12 AM
As Scorbett shows us, when in doubt, Google is your friend! ;)
Thanks for the info chickie :hug:

LOL yes it is!!! Just in case, this is the site that I use a lot for nutritional information on raw foods, I almost always find what I'm looking for!

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

Debrasb
12-01-2012, 09:52 AM

Wow--I really never thought about garlic as having anything to it. We go through a ton of it--I had better start taking that into consideration. Thank you!!

mompattie
12-01-2012, 10:32 AM
Tight painful heavy chest, burning cough, throbbing headache, constant drippy nose that now is bright red from all the Kleenex. Gawd. Why do people come to work sick and infect us all? Now my family is at risk, right before Christmas too! I feel like **** warmed over!!! But 100% OP! WI tomorrow night so here's hoping I'm not retaining a lot of fluid!

Hgamroth
12-01-2012, 10:36 AM
Tight painful heavy chest, burning cough, throbbing headache, constant drippy nose that now is bright red from all the Kleenex. Gawd. Why do people come to work sick and infect us all? Now my family is at risk, right before Christmas too! I feel like **** warmed over!!! But 100% OP! WI tomorrow night so here's hoping I'm not retaining a lot of fluid!

So sorry... My family is on the mend finally. I guess I should be happy we are all dealing with this crud before Christmas but it IS frustrating that we have to deal with it at all. I hope you feel better soon!!!

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Wow--I really never thought about garlic as having anything to it. We go through a ton of it--I had better start taking that into consideration. Thank you!!
Garlic is a spice and can be used accordingly. Adding a clove to your dinner or to an IP soup with some veggies is fine. I'm pretty sure you aren't eating cups of it!?! You'd be pretty stinky!

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 11:00 AM
Garlic is a spice and can be used accordingly. Adding a clove to your dinner or to an IP soup with some veggies is fine. I'm pretty sure you aren't eating cups of it!?! You'd be pretty stinky!

YES. Using a clove's worth of garlic in your meal preparation isn't going to affect anything - but as someone brought this up in terms of eating a 1/4 cup of roasted garlic, it was worth pointing out that it should be treated as a spice, not a vegetable :)

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 11:06 AM
YES. Using a clove's worth of garlic in your meal preparation isn't going to affect anything - but as someone brought this up in terms of eating a 1/4 cup of roasted garlic, it was worth pointing out that it should be treated as a spice, not a vegetable :)
There is a appetizer at a Middle Eastern Restaurant near me that is YUM (but nowhere near OP): whole head of roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil, served with warm pita on the side. The roasted garlic just spreads like a dip onto the pita.
I loved it.
See how I got to 260? :o And I NEVER thought of the calories/carbs in the garlic itself/ Just the bread & oil.

thinkingthinner
12-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Wow I am glad you all pointed this out...never thought of garlic like that before!

BushyTailed
12-01-2012, 11:25 AM
Minch: Wow!! Never thought to ask a restaurant if they could cook something special. Way to go to stick to your diet. That's awesome.

MomPattie: Good for you to stay OP even when sick. So. . .you'll feel better AND thinner soon.

Just started Ideal Protein after Thanksgiving. I heard of it about a week before and it seemed perfect to me. Had to get my food and didn't think it was wise to start a diet just before the big "let's eat all we can" holiday. Now I'll have a running start to get me through Christmas. The first 3 days were hard, but I'm loving the diet now, and seeing progress. Yippee!!! Think this is going to be the diet for me!

Onyxmom
12-01-2012, 11:26 AM
I've got a bar and pre-cut veggies in my bag and am heading out to finish my Christmas shopping today. I'm determined to be done with it this weekend since our kids are coming to celebrate the holiday next weekend. Determination also extends to staying OP. :)

NinjaNurse
12-01-2012, 11:51 AM
Good Morning all!!

Lisa: I ate the Southwest puffs last night.:o

Scorbett: Yikes, I can out 2-3 cloves of garlic into my doctored up dressing alone.

Looking forward to a relaxing w/e although the house is a mess. Taking my daughter and our dog Smokey to get pics with Santa this afternoon.

Last night was rough for me. Every Friday night, esp when I worked full time and was stressed out of my head, I would come home and eat leftover pizza, have a couple glasses of wine and watch my wedding shows. (TLC). Of course my husband and daughter keep their Friday tradition, I wouldn't expect them not too.
I had a stressful shift last night, barely drank enough water, so I felt the comfort hunger pains grow as I edged closer to going home. I KNEW there was pizza and wine in the fridge.
When I got home, I starving. I actually took the pizza box out and sniffed the pizza. I knew I wasn't going to take it, but none the less I wanted to sink back into that old comfort.
I was really discouraged and sad. In any case, I made a cup of herbal tea and a salad with the Southwest puffs, Iceberg lettuce and WF thousand Island drsg. It was delicious and my tummy was full, but I can't seem to rid myself of that Friday night trigger.

jmuroff1
12-01-2012, 11:54 AM
At work today and they ordered Kabob for lunch. Might just have a couple pieces of chicken and my Strawberry Banana Drink and hold off til 6pm when I get off of work

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Good Morning all!!

Scorbett: Yikes, I can out 2-3 cloves of garlic into my doctored up dressing alone.

Looking forward to a relaxing w/e although the house is a mess. Taking my daughter and our dog Smokey to get pics with Santa this afternoon.

Last night was rough for me. Every Friday night, esp when I worked full time and was stressed out of my head, I would come home and eat leftover pizza, have a couple glasses of wine and watch my wedding shows. (TLC). Of course my husband and daughter keep their Friday tradition, I wouldn't expect them not too.
I had a stressful shift last night, barely drank enough water, so I felt the comfort hunger pains grow as I edged closer to going home. I KNEW there was pizza and wine in the fridge.
When I got home, I starving. I actually took the pizza box out and sniffed the pizza. I knew I wasn't going to take it, but none the less I wanted to sink back into that old comfort.
I was really discouraged and sad. In any case, I made a cup of herbal tea and a salad with the Southwest puffs, Iceberg lettuce and WF thousand Island drsg. It was delicious and my tummy was full, but I can't seem to rid myself of that Friday night trigger.

Ugh - comfort triggers are tough. You *can* make a mock pizza when the cravings are really bad - either using the Tomato soup packet, or making a crust from riced cauliflower, and a small amount of plain tomato sauce or Liz's Red Pepper Puree with italian spices as sauce. Use a Tbsp of veggie shreds mozzarella on top , and it's quelled a few of my pizza cravings ;) Can't help on the wine, but you work with what you can!

tam67green
12-01-2012, 12:04 PM
Wow, garlic has that many carbs? Who woulda thunk that? :-) Good to know, though!

Just had a realization--now I actually weigh LESS than what my driver's license says! :carrot:

smjohnso69
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
Lost 4 lbs in the last five days! Will see what the official numbers say on Tuesday. It is amazing how your taste buds can change in such as short time. Started IP on 11/19 and haven't had a diet coke since then (which I was addicted to). Had a sip of my daughter's last night (for old times sake) and it tasted horrible. Still in awe how well this program works.

sahmmommy2
12-01-2012, 01:18 PM
Good Morning all!!

Hey NinjaNurse! That is a HUGE NSV! It might not have seemed like it at the time, but it is! So YAY for staying OP. We all have our triggers and some of them are really hard to work through. What a great way to start the weekend:)

NinjaNurse
12-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Hey NinjaNurse! That is a HUGE NSV! It might not have seemed like it at the time, but it is! So YAY for staying OP. We all have our triggers and some of them are really hard to work through. What a great way to start the weekend:)

Thank you!! I never thought of it that way. That WF TI dressing is addicting!! I am using it again with lunch.

maezy1
12-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Well I don't have to worry about WI's for awhile. Went to see my Dr. becuz my knee replacement is still killing me. Long story but the result is a cast on my leg and impending surgery. This will be my 3rd surgery in a year on this stupid **** **** *** ****** knee! (<--fill in whatever words you would like)
I came home and ate a cracker - well that made my leg feel better didn't it? NO! so I ordered grilled shrimp and steamed veggies
Trying to keep my spirits up. Having to be driven everywhere STINKS!

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks for the veggie portions and garlic feedback! I was worried garlic was going to have to stay in the "seasoning" realm. There is a recipe in the IP cookbook for Roasted Garlic Soup with Lobster. Well, I was going to have to skip the lobster anyway, but the ingredients include "4 garlic roasted" which made me wonder if they meant cloves or heads of garlic. Which then got me wondering about roasted garlic in other dishes... or alone!

scorbett: Would love to hear more about making pizza crust from riced cauliflower.

maezy: I live nearby if you ever need a ride. I am so sorry for your troubles. Proud you overcame and got the grilled shrimp and veggies!!!

lisa32989
12-01-2012, 02:54 PM
Well I don't have to worry about WI's for awhile. Went to see my Dr. becuz my knee replacement is still killing me. Long story but the result is a cast on my leg and impending surgery. This will be my 3rd surgery in a year on this stupid **** **** *** ****** knee! (<--fill in whatever words you would like)
I came home and ate a cracker - well that made my leg feel better didn't it? NO! so I ordered grilled shrimp and steamed veggies
Oh Maezy, big time friggin bummer! And I'm pretty good at fillin' in those blanks you created up there ;)
I HATE IT when things don't heal right!!! I'm so sorry! We just want it to go quickly and move on & then...a roadblock...grrrrr
And being a rider...you get to be chauffeured is the positive "spin" but I understand that gets old...
So, at least IP doesn't require a lot of exercise so while you wait for everything to come out alright and heal, you can hang out and do IP & get skinnier & skinner. And we will be here to cheer you along and keep your spirits up.

I saw this on an older post: "If hunger isn't the problem, then food is not the answer"

So crackers won't fix the doggone knee. And they won't even make you feel better for one minute anymore (if they would, I'd say eat em!). I hope you can manage in the kitchen to make your IP favs (can you get a stool?). Take your time to figure out what you'll need to make this pass as comfortably as possible. Maybe some folks here have some ideas that will help? I know we have nurses but do we have any OTs?

LosingLawyer
12-01-2012, 03:08 PM
There is a appetizer at a Middle Eastern Restaurant near me that is YUM (but nowhere near OP): whole head of roasted garlic drizzled with olive oil, served with warm pita on the side. The roasted garlic just spreads like a dip onto the pita.
I loved it.
See how I got to 260? :o And I NEVER thought of the calories/carbs in the garlic itself/ Just the bread & oil.

My favorite Italian restaurant has an appetizer called "Sicilian candy" which consists of about 50 cloves of garlic roasted in a little cast iron pan with olive oil. You spread it on their delicious bread. I never thought of the calories in the garlic either!!

Alma4343
12-01-2012, 04:03 PM

Maezy! I am so sorry for what you are going through. I broke my leg a couple of years ago and could not walk for about 18 weeks and It was HORRIBLE. I didn't realize how hard the world is to maneuver without a leg. Also, people don't realize you lose your leg, but 2 hands too as you have to use them for the crutches. Anyway, I can say I barely feel your pain and I have a lot of sympathy for you. One thing I did remember was as hard as it was to move around in that situation, extra pounds would make it so much harder. So, even if you don't try to lose weight, just be careful not too gain. Also, I used those stretch arm band things so at least I could get some arm, chest and back workouts. I also did things like reverse sit ups that would use my leg. But, a healing bone or joint takes a LOT of energy to heal. So, be as good to yourself as you can. Let others do for you! Good luck and again, so sorry you are going through all of this.

Alma4343
12-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Wow, garlic has that many carbs? Who woulda thunk that? :-) Good to know, though!

Just had a realization--now I actually weigh LESS than what my driver's license says! :carrot:

Oh that is awesome! I am still about 15 lbs away from what my drivers license says. That will be a good goal! Thanks for the inspiration, congratulations.

kasamsdad
12-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Quick question can you drink V8 juice in P1?

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 06:56 PM
Quick question can you drink V8 juice in P1?

Definitely not. V8 contains carrots and beets which are on the "forbidden" vegetable list, and juice is not going to give you the roughage that you need from eating actual vegetables. Having juice is not the same as having puree - with puree you are still getting all the fibrous parts of the veggies, in juice they are strained out.

Nolawhodatchick
12-01-2012, 07:26 PM
Good Morning all!!

NinjaNurse and maezy-

Hugs to you both! :hug: Sorry for your challenging times.

Nolawhodatchick
12-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I have a question (or discussion topic). I was thinking about putting it in a seperate thread, but decided to try putting it in the daily instead and hope it will generate lots of responses. It's about determining your end goal, and possibly revising your end goal, or possibly doing maintenance for a while, then coming back with a new end goal. How do you decide what your end goal will be? For how many of you is is based on your "ideal weight" versus how long you think you can tolerate being on this diet, or how long you feel you can stay on IP due to other reasons?

Here is what got me to thinking about it-I set my end goal at more than I think I should weigh ideally. But having been in the 180s for some time, 138 as a goal sounded great when I started. Plus the diet has been hard for me, I believe mostly because of my hypoglycemia. When I talk to friends who did IP, it sounds like my ongoing experience is more like their couple of weeks (low energy, mostly.) Ideally, I would do better feel better at 10or so lbs less based on my bone structure and what I know about my body. I really am torn between trying to talk myself into staying in Phase 1 longer and resetting my end goal versus phasing out for the end goal of 138, seeing how I feel, then returning to Phase 1 after a couple of months if I want to lose a bit more.

I'd appreciate any discussion and insight others can offer regarding end goals and how they set them. Thanks!

Onyxmom
12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I've got a bar and pre-cut veggies in my bag and am heading out to finish my Christmas shopping today. I'm determined to be done with it this weekend since our kids are coming to celebrate the holiday next weekend. Determination also extends to staying OP. :)

Well, I got all of the shopping done. Glad I took my lunch and water with me. Too many tempting food places in the mall.

benice
12-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I have a question (or discussion topic). I was thinking about putting it in a seperate thread, but decided to try putting it in the daily instead and hope it will generate lots of responses. It's about determining your end goal, and possibly revising your end goal, or possibly doing maintenance for a while, then coming back with a new end goal. How do you decide what your end goal will be? For how many of you is is based on your "ideal weight" versus how long you think you can tolerate being on this diet, or how long you feel you can stay on IP due to other reasons?

Here is what got me to thinking about it-I set my end goal at more than I think I should weigh ideally. But having been in the 180s for some time, 138 as a goal sounded great when I started. Plus the diet has been hard for me, I believe mostly because of my hypoglycemia. When I talk to friends who did IP, it sounds like my ongoing experience is more like their couple of weeks (low energy, mostly.) Ideally, I would do better feel better at 10or so lbs less based on my bone structure and what I know about my body. I really am torn between trying to talk myself into staying in Phase 1 longer and resetting my end goal versus phasing out for the end goal of 138, seeing how I feel, then returning to Phase 1 after a couple of months if I want to lose a bit more.

I'd appreciate any discussion and insight others can offer regarding end goals and how they set them. Thanks!

I set my goal weight to the weight that I maintained for 10 years of adulthood before steadily gaining to my current weight. I decided that I'd rather get down to that weight in one fell swoop and then decide how I want to handle maintainence from there. I have weighed about 10 lbs less at certain points in life, but that really wasn't my ideal weight when maintaining a fitness routine that built up a lot of muscle.

Hope this helps!

scorbett1103
12-01-2012, 08:43 PM

I had initially set my goal weight at 5-10lbs above where I had maintained for many years before having children again (170lbs). When I was a starving college student I was 155, but I don't feel like that's a realistic weight given my build, if I want to be able to maintain comfortably and not stress all the time.

I got within 15lbs of that first goal and realized that I still felt like I had a way to go, and I wasn't burnt out on the diet yet. So I adjusted down another 10lbs. My mentality is that I am going to get as close to that number as possible - I want to be able to enjoy maintenance and not fight against the numbers every day. When I feel like I'm ready to stop, I will stop even if I haven't hit that number. I'm just going to go by how I feel, how my clothes feel, and keep in mind that my body will continue to change once I start exercising again.

maezy1
12-01-2012, 08:54 PM
I'm actually planning on seeing my dr and get her input on what she thinks my weight goal should be. Most times in the past few months I haven't felt denied.

libertybelle
12-01-2012, 08:57 PM
It was easy for me. Before I looked at any charts, I thought about the weight ranges I felt healthiest at, my body most naturally maintained the longest, and I felt the most comfortable in how I looked. The the ranges all overlapped. Then I looked at the BMI charts, but they WOULD NOT have been my deciding factor, and they basically indicated the same range. I picked the midpoint in those ranges. But am willing to stop if I hit a higher weight in the overall range and really feel it is the best point for me. I just set my goal as my "ideal" but my life and body are different now, so I might find my ideal is a bit higher or lower.
My doctor has a higher weight in mind for me, but experience tells me I might still be self conscious there.

NinjaNurse
12-01-2012, 09:56 PM
I just set a goal for about a hundred pounds less. I'll see where it takes me. I want to be healthy and happy for me. I am seeing my Dr in FEB and take it from there.

southern
12-01-2012, 10:35 PM

i base my number off of what i look like at goal
remember, muscle mass will make a difference in your numbers. the scale isn't the end all, be all
im happier at a higher wight with more muscle than i am 30 lbs lighter with no weight training

Suchawittygal
12-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Thank you!! I never thought of it that way. That WF TI dressing is addicting!! I am using it again with lunch.

I have to get me some of that stuff. I've tried numerous flavors, but only really like the French (and I'm not usually a French dressing eater, very strange for me).

Well, it's off to San Fran tomorrow for business for five days. I'm taking all my packets and supplements with me and plan on staying OP the entire time. At my WI yesterday, I FINALLY got past that 171.4 mark and was down to 171.0! I was very happy!

I hope you all have a wonderful remainder of your weekends!! I'll check in from SF tomorrow!

Im escaping
12-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Regarding the ideal weight...I don't know.

I chose a body size (weight)that I liked pre- weight gain. BUT I am only 15lbs away and definitely still have a ways to go as far as body shape/size.

I would like to be a comfortable size 6, and am sitting at a little big 12 or tight 10 right now.

So, like mentioned previously, I am looking at:
what can I maintain long term
Where do I feel comfortable
And is it a healthy size, rather than just the scale.

If there is a magic formula, please share though!!

Alma4343
12-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Well, for me I will be at a "normal" BMI weight at 166 lbs. At first, I went to 160 because my sister and I have similar builds and that is what she weighs and looks GREAT. Then, I lowered it to 158 just show I have a couple pounds to spare. However, I am still over 30 lbs away from that weight. So, I will re-evaluate when I get to a normal BMI. Since I am in my mid 40's, I am a little worried about looking older if I lose too much weight. But, I really just want to be normal weight on all charts too ;)

JenRem
12-02-2012, 01:02 AM
I have to get me some of that stuff. I've tried numerous flavors, but only really like the French (and I'm not usually a French dressing eater, very strange for me).

Well, it's off to San Fran tomorrow for business for five days. I'm taking all my packets and supplements with me and plan on staying OP the entire time. At my WI yesterday, I FINALLY got past that 171.4 mark and was down to 171.0! I was very happy!

I hope you all have a wonderful remainder of your weekends!! I'll check in from SF tomorrow!

Congrats, but what a tease! The 170's are holding on for dear life, literally right??? When you hit the 160's next WI, make sure to let the "170's" know you will NEVER, EVER see them again! You'll kick but in San Fran; have a great time and walk some of those infamous hills! Jen

libertybelle
12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
Good Sunday, Everyone! Here is to another healthful and successful day one and all!

EPAPRN
12-02-2012, 07:53 AM
So, my WI this past week has put me at 49lbs down, BMI of 27.9. I am a size 10 from an 18. My body fat % is 36. My coach asked me what my goal weight would be. I told her I originally wanted to be a size 8, not sure what weight that would be. Since I am close to a size 8, but still 'overweight', she suggested I get to 30% or less body fat and go on to P2.

My observation was that I started at 42% body fat, and it has taken me almost 5 months and 50lbs to drop 7%, would it take me another 5 months and a significant poundage lost to get that low of body fat?

Or, is the BCA machine not reliable and I should take those numbers w/ a grain of salt and move on to P2 when I feel like I am ready to?

I am skeptical of the BCA. She seems to think it is gospel and we should pay attention and go by that body fat %. It doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts

KathrynRose
12-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I lost 2.9pounds this week. This means I have 7.7 pounds to go until I have lost 85 pounds ,which I hope to do by the end of the year. My body does not like to lose inches, so I have not lost inches in a month. Right before that, I lost 3 inches a week a fter not losing inches for two months. I guess I have another month to go before these inches start disappearing again. I must say I look much larger than other women on here who are at the same height and weight.

I am getting very nervous because I have never weighed less than 178 as an adult. I don't even know if I can maintain that weight, because I never have before. I haven't even weighed less than 175 since I was 14. This is why my goal weight is so high. Has anyone been able to maintain a weight that they never even saw as an adult?

sahmmommy2
12-02-2012, 08:44 AM
I lost 2.9pounds this week. This means I have 7.7 pounds to go until I have lost 85 pounds ,which I hope to do by the end of the year. My body does not like to lose inches, so I have not lost inches in a month. Right before that, I lost 3 inches a week a fter not losing inches for two months. I guess I have another month to go before these inches start disappearing again. I must say I look much larger than other women on here who are at the same height and weight.

I am getting very nervous because I have never weighed less than 178 as an adult. I don't even know if I can maintain that weight, because I never have before. I haven't even weighed less than 175 since I was 14. This is why my goal weight is so high. Has anyone been able to maintain a weight that they never even saw as an adult?

KathrynRose, that is FANTASTIC! What an accomplishment, you should be very proud of yourself. We all will lose weight differently and look differently and that's okay. The most important thing is for you to find a weight that you are happy at. While we all had to chose a goal weight, I think it's important not to get fixated on a number on the scale. I'm sure we all have some insecurities about maintaining. I know I do. I'm trying not to get too worked up about it and just focus on the present.

I don't think you'll have any problem getting to your goal! I say go for it and see how you feel once you're there. You can either phase off or readjust it lower! YOU CAN DO IT:carrot:

scorbett1103
12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
So, my WI this past week has put me at 49lbs down, BMI of 27.9. I am a size 10 from an 18. My body fat % is 36. My coach asked me what my goal weight would be. I told her I originally wanted to be a size 8, not sure what weight that would be. Since I am close to a size 8, but still 'overweight', she suggested I get to 30% or less body fat and go on to P2.

My observation was that I started at 42% body fat, and it has taken me almost 5 months and 50lbs to drop 7%, would it take me another 5 months and a significant poundage lost to get that low of body fat?

Or, is the BCA machine not reliable and I should take those numbers w/ a grain of salt and move on to P2 when I feel like I am ready to?

I am skeptical of the BCA. She seems to think it is gospel and we should pay attention and go by that body fat %. It doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts

You have to take those machines with a BIG grain of salt. Their means of calculating Body fat % are inaccurate at best, outright fiction at worst. They are good for tracking TRENDS (If you measure something the same way every time you can tell whether the results are trending up or down based on whatever measurement you use, but that doesn't mean you can correlate those results with real-world, established forms of measure), but that's about it. You can't get an accurate body fat % measurement from a scale with an electrical current.

I would say, trust your body. Go by how you feel, if you notice your weight loss is stalling (might be a sign you're close to where you should stop). Trust yourself, and where you're going to be able to maintain comfortably.

kileymed13
12-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Had a rough day yesterday. Does anyone have that one friend that makes staying OP difficult at best? I know this is my battle to fight but I feel like whenever we are together the temptations are outrageous.

She came over yesterday with her daughter to play with my 2 kids. She arrived with all of the ingredients to make sugar cookies and make gingerbread houses (not a huge deal because for whatever wonderful reason I am not tempted right now). Then dinner time came. I thought she was going to head home and the kids and I would eat as usual. She asked the kids if they wanted pizza and then said she should have asked me first because it will be difficult for me (my absolute weakness). Anyway pizza arrived 30 minutes later and I mentally was not prepared. I had 2 slices! It didn't even taste that good.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to stay friends knowing everytime I see her there will be crazy temptations? Without fail she asks me if I want a coffee drink from a local coffee shop (a Chippi for those that are near me) and I say no every time. I work with her and don't want to strain the work relationship. Ugh...:?:

scorbett1103
12-02-2012, 08:59 AM
Had a rough day yesterday. Does anyone have that one friend that makes staying OP difficult at best? I know this is my battle to fight but I feel like whenever we are together the temptations are outrageous.

She came over yesterday with her daughter to play with my 2 kids. She arrived with all of the ingredients to make sugar cookies and make gingerbread houses (not a huge deal because for whatever wonderful reason I am not tempted right now). Then dinner time came. I thought she was going to head home and the kids and I would eat as usual. She asked the kids if they wanted pizza and then said she should have asked me first because it will be difficult for me (my absolute weakness). Anyway pizza arrived 30 minutes later and I mentally was not prepared. I had 2 slices! It didn't even taste that good.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to stay friends knowing everytime I see her there will be crazy temptations? Without fail she asks me if I want a coffee drink from a local coffee shop (a Chippi for those that are near me) and I say no every time. I work with her and don't want to strain the work relationship. Ugh...:?:

UGH - The Chippi truck shows up at work every Friday and the girls on my floor always bring them up - definitely a nail-biting moment for me, once a week!

It shouldn't strain the relationship if you flat out tell her that you're on a diet that's pretty restrictive, and it would be AWESOME if you had her support - and then talk about the things that happen. It DOES get easier with time - the more you say "no" the more people understand that your commitment is for real. It took MONTHS for my sister in law to "get it", so many morning coffee playdates where she'd whip up cheesy egg omelets or pancakes for the kids and then have that "OOPS" moment when she realized I couldn't eat any of it. She did it to me two weeks before Thanksgiving, the kids were playing and she decided to go through recipes for desserts and side dishes for the holiday. Um HELLLOOOOO it's not helpful for you to read me recipes that sound AMAZING but that I can't have!!! Just remember everyone's on a learning curve, and the less you give in and stay strong, the faster our friends and family learn!

Nolawhodatchick
12-02-2012, 09:15 AM

Thoughts

Happy Sunday everyone! Hope you all have a great day!

I'm at my 1/2 way point today. It's odd, because I'm happy as I have stuck it out and done really well, but I also have a touch of melancholy because I still have 1/2 to go. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think it is because my losses have slowed this month, and because I am realizing that overall, I am a slow loser. My last 4 WIs are 2.6, 1.8, 3.2, 2.6. I've never have a loss more than 3.8, usually they range from 3.0 to 3.4. I am 100% OP and I'm just having to understand and accept that my body loses more slowly than some, which means I may be on a little longer than I though. C'est la vie!

As for body fat, I don't think I'll see the body fat % I want until I start exercising regularly again. I love to weight train pretty heavily, and I am going to start again when I get to the end of Phase I. My body fat still reads WAY too high, but I am not worried, I'll correct that part later.

EPAPRN-I don't know what your body fat is, but depending on your age, 35% could be "normal" per the charts, IIRC.

dawnwhite58
12-02-2012, 09:30 AM
UGH - The Chippi truck shows up at work every Friday and the girls on my floor always bring them up - definitely a nail-biting moment for me, once a week!

It shouldn't strain the relationship if you flat out tell her that you're on a diet that's pretty restrictive, and it would be AWESOME if you had her support - and then talk about the things that happen. It DOES get easier with time - the more you say "no" the more people understand that your commitment is for real. It took MONTHS for my sister in law to "get it", so many morning coffee playdates where she'd whip up cheesy egg omelets or pancakes for the kids and then have that "OOPS" moment when she realized I couldn't eat any of it. She did it to me two weeks before Thanksgiving, the kids were playing and she decided to go through recipes for desserts and side dishes for the holiday. Um HELLLOOOOO it's not helpful for you to read me recipes that sound AMAZING but that I can't have!!! Just remember everyone's on a learning curve, and the less you give in and stay strong, the faster our friends and family learn!

You are so right! In September, I started a new job three days after starting IP. The first day they were having group pot luck and insisted I come and meet everyone. In the past I would go and eat as to not be unsocial able. This is how I would always end up failing. It has taken me many years to finally get to the point where I decided to do this for me and everyone else would just have to understand. I politely said no that day and many times after. Now they actually ask what I can have or just accept that I will be bringing my own lunch.

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 09:31 AM

CONGRATS on the 2.9 lbs!!!!
My inches come off slowly too. What I figure is that they are coming off places not being measured. I have a roll in the middle that was larger than the girls :o Lets just say proportions are now right! But that roll has never been measured. So, even measurements I take with a grain of salt ;)
I took some new pics yesterday since I've been OP 4 mo now. I didn't think they'd look different but they DO!
I understand being nervous. I weighed 175 for a hot minute after doing Atkins for a YEAR AND A HALF! Maintenance has me more worried than ANYTHING. This is why I chose IP and this is why I stick with my clinic, even tho I know I can do this much less expensive with alternatives. I'm going to need the help learning to maintain. All I've ever done in my adult life is gain weight or yo-yo.

We can do this together. I'm not going anywhere. If you stick around for maintenance, we'll learn a new way of life and next year at this time we'll be CELEBRATING because we have started to learn how to do it for a lifetime.

Thoughts
Congrats on 49 lbs gone forever!!!!
I can only share what I've seen others share.
First off, the Analysis of those machines is an estimate. You know it. I know it, most of us here know it. Seems like an argument with your coach about it is futile. Let her believe her silly gospel :rolleyes:

What I've been learning from others who have gotten to goal is that the weight REALLY starts moving closer to goal and fat %/BMI will make huge strides in your last 28.

Fat % will also change with an increase of exercise, which will happen when we move to P2 and beyond. Strength training will increase muscle tone which can help to change body fat percentages (some people actually weight MORE but look better, right?)

You are so close and I predict you'll see major changes in those last 28 lbs, just like others before you. Keep us posted!

Congrats on your wonderful progress!

kileymed13
12-02-2012, 09:32 AM

Thanks! We have talked about IP many times and I have said no more than I ever thought I would to her alone.

I am right back on track this morning without hesitation. In the past I would have said, oh well I had pizza last night, Christmas is coming, I will just start up again in the new year. Not this time! Have a great weekend!

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 09:47 AM
Thanks! We have talked about IP many times and I have said no more than I ever thought I would to her alone.

I am right back on track this morning without hesitation. In the past I would have said, oh well I had pizza last night, Christmas is coming, I will just start up again in the new year. Not this time! Have a great weekend!

Good for you! I would have felt very stuck, sort've like a hostage in my own home. No reason to put off until next year what you can do today :hug:

Is this the kind of friend that you can call and explain that you need to have your meals planned-ahead? That if there is going to be a change, your eating plan requires that you plan it out first? That no matter what others are eating, you need to stay on-plan? I've seen others on this board use the terminology "medically supervised". It can help give it some authenticity to some people who think it is "just a diet" -esp if they have the "just this once" attitude.

I have some friends I could do that with and others I couldn't. The ones I CAN I would make sure knew how important this was to me.

I recently had a friend who asked me what my plan was for "cheats". She said "you can't go through the whole 9-10 months in deprivation without ever giving yourself a treat".
I explained the packets to her. That there are chocolate and "munchy-crunchy" chip-like offerings. That I freeze the puddings to make "ice cream". That I can make pancakes and muffins. That as long as I plan well, I never feel deprived. It seemed to satisfy her. But I understand if people think we are depriving ourselves. Maybe they think they are "helping" when they really have no idea they aren't.

I have to believe our friends love us and want the best for us. They just don't understand and we have made a change. A life-altering change. They have lost their eating/drinking buddies. This is hard for them too! All we want is support in our new journey and sometimes we need to look at the other side and help THEM through our change. (As if this isn't hard enough! :dunno:

NinjaNurse
12-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Good morning all!!

Scorbett: What is the Chippi truck?? Glad I know nothing of this!!

Kathynrose: Very cool!! Congrats! You'll be at goal by the New Year!!

I have a new addiction thanks to the ladies at 3fc. Herbal tea.
I now own 6 boxes!! My faves are Peppermint, Berry Zinger, and a seasonal Sugar Cookie. I feel like I am being bad because of the names, but no. Yummy and comforting.

Fishette
12-02-2012, 10:00 AM
and because I am realizing that overall, I am a slow loser. My last 4 WIs are 2.6, 1.8, 3.2, 2.6. I've never have a loss more than 3.8, usually they range from 3.0 to 3.4. I am 100% OP and I'm just having to understand and accept that my body loses more slowly than some, which means I may be on a little longer than I though. C'est la vie!

Nola, please don't consider yourself a slow loser. I have rarely seen any numbers as much as you. You are doing fantastic! I have finally been able to stablize at loosing 2 pounds a week but only by limiting my carbs to under 30g and my fats to under 40g, and I am thankful every time I see that 2. Just take one day at a time and, viola, you will be at goal.

LizRR
12-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Did someone say formula?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264170-how-did-you-choose-your-goal-weight.html

If there is a magic formula, please share though!!

Body Fat Percentage Categories: Women (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:
I was a 214 lb woman with 46% body fat, and my goal weight was set to have a 20% body fat at my initial lean weight. So to find my initial lean weight:
Initial Fat lb = Initial Total lb * Current BF% : 214 lb x 0.46 body fat % = 98 lb body fat
Initial Lean lb = Initial Total lb - Initial Fat lb : 214 lb - 98 lb fat = 116 lb lean body mass (muscles, bones, organs, blood, water, etc.)

A bit of algebra to find our new goal weight 'total':
Formula 1: fat = total * BF%
Formula 2: lean = total - fat
Solving for 'total' based on initial lean & desired BF%:
lean = total - (total*BF%)....lean = total*(1-BF%)....
Total = (Initial Lean lb) / (1 - Desired BF%)

Goal Weight based on Initial Lean lb = 116 lb and Desired BF% = 20%
Goal Weight = 116lb / (1 - 0.2) = 145 lb

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Argh! I was told there would be no math!
:rofl:

I'll need a tutor
Or maybe I'll just go by how my clothes fit (or how I look in a swimsuit) or sumthin silly
:joker:

snolover
12-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Good morning everyone! Hope you are doing great! I know I am not here often but I am so busy. Still being OP, though. I am losing very slowly but I don't care. This has to become a lifestyle. Will be having the rotini as a pasta salad for lunch. I can't wait! Enjoy your day.

kileymed13
12-02-2012, 10:27 AM

The Chippi truck is from Mirasol's cafe. It is the most deliciously wicked coffee drink I have ever had. Think super caffeinated coffee milk! It is one of the things I miss the most since starting IP.

kileymed13
12-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Good for you! I would have felt very stuck, sort've like a hostage in my own home. No reason to put off until next year what you can do today :hug:

Is this the kind of friend that you can call and explain that you need to have your meals planned-ahead? That if there is going to be a change, your eating plan requires that you plan it out first? That no matter what others are eating, you need to stay on-plan? I've seen others on this board use the terminology "medically supervised". It can help give it some authenticity to some people who think it is "just a diet" -esp if they have the "just this once" attitude.

I have some friends I could do that with and others I couldn't. The ones I CAN I would make sure knew how important this was to me.

I recently had a friend who asked me what my plan was for "cheats". She said "you can't go through the whole 9-10 months in deprivation without ever giving yourself a treat".
I explained the packets to her. That there are chocolate and "munchy-crunchy" chip-like offerings. That I freeze the puddings to make "ice cream". That I can make pancakes and muffins. That as long as I plan well, I never feel deprived. It seemed to satisfy her. But I understand if people think we are depriving ourselves. Maybe they think they are "helping" when they really have no idea they aren't.

I have to believe our friends love us and want the best for us. They just don't understand and we have made a change. A life-altering change. They have lost their eating/drinking buddies. This is hard for them too! All we want is support in our new journey and sometimes we need to look at the other side and help THEM through our change. (As if this isn't hard enough! :dunno:

We have talked about IP many times, we are both nurses and I know she understands. She is struggling with her weight at the moment and I wonder if that has something to do with it. She is joining WW in the new year because she has had success with it in the past. I plan to fully support her and hope this will make a change. I can't really talk to her about it because she will take it personally. I just need to make short plans with her that don't overlap with meal times. Even my kids said "mom can't have pizza! It has sugar in it (that is their focus for whatever reason but it helps). Thanks for listening and giving me ideas.

Lizzy63
12-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Thoughts

I agree with Scorbett and Lisa, don't rely too much on that machine. The one at my clinic recently put me under 32% body Fat, which made me quite happy, while my brand new (and expensive) one at home put me at about 37% - go figure - they're even the same brand...

I would look at yourself in the mirror and decide if you have too much body fat. Not sure about your age, but I also think as we age, a little bit more body fat plumps out the little lines. Of course, muffin top is also a consideration!

If they have a machine that measures visceral fat, consider that too. That is the one that is supposed to have a bigger impact on health. On my home scale, even with the higher body fat %, my visceral fat is well within the healthy range.

And you can attack body fat through strength building. I expect to get on that after the holidays - probably starting with a personal trainer.

Fishette
12-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Good morning everyone! Hope you are doing great! I know I am not here often but I am so busy. Still being OP, though. I am losing very slowly but I don't care. This has to become a lifestyle. Will be having the rotini as a pasta salad for lunch. I can't wait! Enjoy your day.

I'm here with you Snolover - we're both in the final stretch!

rofl306
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
I bought one of the hand held body fat readers. My DH made me promise it would just be a toy and not how I lived my life. He is so wise! So I used it weekly for a couple of months. I noticed a ratio pattern of weight/BMI/fat%. Since IP is suppose to lose fat at a higher percent I handed my hand held to my DH who is at the low end of his healthy weight range to find my measurements with his body have within the same 1% of body fat. He is taller and more muscular than I ever will be. So I am a non believer in the machines.

I have decided I have no control of how IP affects my body. I can only follow the plan and let it work out as it will. So hard for a controll freak!

Have a GREAT day!

Nolawhodatchick
12-02-2012, 10:55 AM
Did someone say formula?

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/264170-how-did-you-choose-your-goal-weight.html

Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:
I was a 214 lb woman with 46% body fat, and my goal weight was set to have a 20% body fat at my initial lean weight. So to find my initial lean weight:
Initial Fat lb = Initial Total lb * Current BF% : 214 lb x 0.46 body fat % = 98 lb body fat
Initial Lean lb = Initial Total lb - Initial Fat lb : 214 lb - 98 lb fat = 116 lb lean body mass (muscles, bones, organs, blood, water, etc.)

Here is what bothers me about the body mass calculators. NIH qualifies them as:
*It may overestimate body fat in athletes and others who have a muscular build.
*It may underestimate body fat in older persons and others who have lost muscle.

There have been charts developed to factor in age and sex that have resulted in expanded charts. Personally, I think they may be more realistic. At least, that is what my physician and cardiologist told me.

sonyainva
12-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Mink that's awesome, love stories were people are helpful rather than say just eat this for today it won't hurt you

Garlic, is an anti inflammatory food, love it

Ninja nurse that was huge staying op! Pat yourself on the back and appreciate yourself

joysh
12-02-2012, 11:20 AM
Just remember everyone's on a learning curve, and the less you give in and stay strong, the faster our friends and family learn!

It can help give it some authenticity to some people who think it is "just a diet" -esp if they have the "just this once" attitude...I recently had a friend who asked me what my plan was for "cheats". She said "you can't go through the whole 9-10 months in deprivation without ever giving yourself a treat"...I have to believe our friends love us and want the best for us. They just don't understand and we have made a change. A life-altering change. They have lost their eating/drinking buddies. This is hard for them too! All we want is support in our new journey and sometimes we need to look at the other side and help THEM through our change. (As if this isn't hard enough! :dunno:

Lisa and Scorbett, these are wonderful responses. It's unfortunate, but I have found that friends didn't really believe I was serious about this until they saw results. Then they became more respectful and stopped "just one bite" talk.

Yesterday was a particularly hard food day for me. It was Christmas Festival here in Natchitoches, LA. That means one long day of food orgy. Parades, parties, etc. with lots and lots of gumbo, chili, boudoin, meat pies, fried everything you can think of, desserts and sweets everywhere, and food vendors in the streets. I brought my chocolate RTD for the parade, ate an IP salty snack in the afternoon, and ate only meat at the the parties. (some steak and a few slices of ham, which is really high in sodium, but was the only protein in sight). Drank loads of water, though.

BUT - had a great day with friends, festivities, and loads of compliments on how I looked! That was totally worth it!

Just saying that we have each other here on the forum and we get to live with our results. That's the dessert!

Argh! I was told there would be no math!
:rofl:I'll need a tutor Or maybe I'll just go by how my clothes fit (or how I look in a swimsuit) or sumthin silly :joker:
:joker::joker::joker::lol::lol::lol:

Shedit
12-02-2012, 12:20 PM

My approach to this is not very scientific or mathematical! On day one I read tons of the maintenance boards in this forum and made my personal 9 month IP cycle plan.

I am in week 2 and been battling the same 30 pounds for YEARS. I know where I plateau on other weight loss plans and am enthusiastic that this will not happen to me with IP. Realizing that my body is a trickey and adaptive machine I decided to be OP for 4 months and estimated a goal weight that the center predicts of -10 pounds per month.

I enjoy exercise and mild weight training, so I hope to reintegrate that soon but realize weight loss is #1 for my health and overall sense of self.

After the initial phase 1 for 4 months and whatever weight I get to I will spend another month in phase 2 &3. I plan to move toward increased exercising and eating at a maintenance level for the following 4 months. THEN if I have learned maintenence and I feel that I would be healthier at additional weight loss, go back to phase 1 and establish a new cycle for myself. Besides weight loss I am determined to eliminate yo-yo!

That is my personal IP plan and of course, life happens and modifications may become necessary. One day at a time toward these goals and plans.

Halfagain
12-02-2012, 12:52 PM
Nola, please don't consider yourself a slow loser. I have rarely seen any numbers as much as you. You are doing fantastic! I have finally been able to stabilize at loosing 2 pounds a week but only by limiting my carbs to under 30g and my fats to under 40g, and I am thankful every time I see that 2. Just take one day at a time and, viola, you will be at goal.

Ditto that :hug: When I was loosing more than 2 lbs a week I simply had a lot more to lose. Each week now, I'm throwing into my happiness bucket that staying the same or just loosing anything is keeping off the lbs I've already lost. Maintenance will be a lifetime phase so I'll have lots of time to enjoy that when it comes. We will get there with patience and perseverance. We've got this!

Nolawhodatchick
12-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I know this may be off topic, but I know several folks here have posted in various thread about buying inexpensive new clothes at Old Navy. Old Navy has all their dresses 50% off and several of their winter jackets at 60% off IN-STORE only TODAY only, plus you can print out a 10% daily deal coupon from their facebook page. This puts most of their dresses at the cost of $11 to $15 dollars, toggle jackets at $15, and peter pan collar and other jackets (they look like field jackets) at around $20. Not bad if you really need some new clothes.

Nolawhodatchick
12-02-2012, 01:06 PM
Ditto that :hug: When I was loosing more than 2 lbs a week I simply had a lot more to lose. Each week now, I'm throwing into my happiness bucket that staying the same or just loosing anything is keeping off the lbs I've already lost. Maintenance will be a lifetime phase so I'll have lots of time to enjoy that when it comes. We will get there with patience and perseverance. We've got this!

Nola, please don't consider yourself a slow loser. I have rarely seen any numbers as much as you. You are doing fantastic! I have finally been able to stablize at loosing 2 pounds a week but only by limiting my carbs to under 30g and my fats to under 40g, and I am thankful every time I see that 2. Just take one day at a time and, viola, you will be at goal.

Thanks ladies, it helps to know that I am not alone. I originally "thought" I'd at least lose the "average" of 3 lbs per week. I'm below that average, though only slightly, but my losses are slowing. But now I'm realizing it is an "average" loss, with some people's norms being higher and lower. That's ok, my body can only do what it can do.

EPAPRN
12-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Did someone say formula?

Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:

Ok, so I *think* I calculated correctly, the final amount is exactly what I weigh now? So maybe I didn't calculate correctly! I used 30% body fat as per what my coach wants me to get to - that brings me to 172lbs. I then calculated for 20% body fat, which brings me to 161. My initial goal was 145lbs.

Too much thinking for me. I think I will just do what I feel is right according to my size and how I feel.

JenRem
12-02-2012, 01:10 PM

Lisa - very wise words! Thank you for giving insight into what some of our close friends/family may be struggling with regarding our IP weight loss journey. It's good for us to try to see things from their perspective as well and realize this is new territory for all of us and we have to learn/figure things out together. Patience, empathy, honesty and a little compassion! :) Jen

mompattie
12-02-2012, 01:12 PM
Good Morning all!!

Comfort zones and routines are hard for me too. I PVR days of our lives, and love to watch it at noon when I come home for my lunch break. But it's hard as in the past, I would just sit and mindlessly eat!! I have found myself enjoying my salad and a bar...then another bar...and another....and another until the whole box was gone!! Talk about cheating!!! I don't go home for lunch anymore, until I figure out how to break this!! Very hard. You did awesome!

:hug::hug: you are doing great, life has thrown you a curve ball. Catch it girl, and throw it right back!!! Keep your chin up grasshoppah!!

I have friends like this too, but it doesn't matter what you say or do, there will always be sabatogers!!! Honestly, no one made you eat that pizza but you. Sabatogers be darned, but the ultimate decision lies within us. I've done it too, and it's easy to blame someone else. But I've learned that its only my fault, I control me and what goes into my mouth, not someone else. You got this!! :hug:

Awesome!!!

Good morning all!!

Kathynrose: Very cool!! Congrats! You'll be at goal by the New Year!!

I have a new addiction thanks to the ladies at 3fc. Herbal tea.
I now own 6 boxes!! My faves are Peppermint, Berry Zinger, and a seasonal Sugar Cookie. I feel like I am being bad because of the names, but no. Yummy and comforting.

So glad I don't know what a Chippi truck is!!! Sounds like another temptation!

Did someone say formula?

Essential Fat 10-12%
Athletes 14-20%
Fitness 21-24%
Acceptable 25-31%
Obese 32%+

Example:

My math whiz engineer brain friend!!! This is like Greek to me!! Love u LizRR and your analytical brain! :hug::D

The Chippi truck is from Mirasol's cafe. It is the most deliciously wicked coffee drink I have ever had. Think super caffeinated coffee milk! It is one of the things I miss the most since starting IP.

Chippi truck not in my neck of the woods thank heavens!!!!

Nolawhodatchick
12-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Lisa - very wise words! Thank you for giving insight into what some of our close friends/family may be struggling with regarding our IP weight loss journey. It's good for us to try to see things from their perspective as well and realize this is new territory for all of us and we have to learn/figure things out together. Patience, empathy, honesty and a little compassion! :) Jen

I think people not familiar with how IP works don't understand that it is truly a "no cheat" diet. I think maybe the consequences of taking a day or two off are not as bad on a low calorie diet. If I understand correctly, IP works differently in that a couple of carb-loaded days in the middle of ketosis can cause a rapid weight gain and set your metabolic state back. I'm still trying to grasp this exactly, and learn more each time I read, so I can imagine folks not at all familiar with the theory of how IP works really don't get why we can't cheat.

desiree13
12-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Hello! And Happy December!
This weekend was a tough one for me... I traveled with my daughters Thespian Troop to USM for an overnight and the options for food choices in a College Cafeteria were slim. I had packed along my IP shakes, but as far as proteins go... the offerings were bare. They had pasta, pasta and more pasta, pizza, chesseburgers, fries and hotdogs, potatoes, and more carbs than I could count! I was surrounded! I happily found the salad bar (complete with croutons and puddings) and made myself a big one with hard boiled eggs. Deserts were rice krispy treats, cookies, cakes and unlimited ice cream machines. I grabbed a flavored water! After a few hours we went to dinner which sadly my options were the same and possibly worse. I made my shake, plated up some more salad, cukes and cold turkey, and wished I had some apple cider vinegar as the only dressings were OP. I went for the best Oil & Vin, and got weird stares from everyone as they Carbed out around me. I never missed roasted cauliflower as much as I did this weekend! The second day breakfast was continental which meant muffins, bagels and cereals... nope. Coffee for me, and lunch offered was your choice of sandwich turkey & cheese, ham & cheese or PBJ, chips and a cupcake.
Later that evening all chaperones wanted to venture to Chilis... for appetizers. I opted for some quiet time, a hot shower, and IP drink.

On the trek home the caravan of 22+ kids stopped for quick food, again the options were burger king, sbarro pizza or bags of chips, doritos, fritos or goldfish! I broke down and had a red bull as we had another 2 hours to drive in snow and I needed a pick me up.

It really made me think of what we offer our kids these days and without a healthy attitude about foods, how are kids are just inundated with bad choices and carb overloads. :(

Well, Im not weighing in until tomorrow... fingers crossed I lost a bit, I did survive, but man I missed my cauliflower and boring chicken breasts! LOL
:D

joysh
12-02-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks ladies, it helps to know that I am not alone. I originally "thought" I'd at least lose the "average" of 3 lbs per week. I'm below that average, though only slightly, but my losses are slowing. But now I'm realizing it is an "average" loss, with some people's norms being higher and lower. That's ok, my body can only do what it can do.

Just want to put my 2 cents in here. I'm also a slow loser, even though I'm 100%. My average is about 2 pounds a week, although my loss can be less than a pound sometime. Whenever it is 2 pounds or more I am very very happy. Once in a while I'll have a 3-4 pound loss, but that's rare. I just take it as it comes and continue on. I know that my body is reshaping itself and that takes time and energy too. Stick with it!

Hello! And Happy December!
This weekend was a tough one for me... I traveled with my daughters Thespian Troop to USM for an overnight and the options for food choices in a College Cafeteria were slim.

Congratulations, Desiree! :bravo::bravo: You had an amazing NSV this weekend! That must have really been difficult and you did great!!!!

lisa32989
12-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Just want to put my 2 cents in here. I'm also a slow loser, even though I'm 100%. My average is about 2 pounds a week, although my loss can be less than a pound sometime. Whenever it is 2 pounds or more I am very very happy. Once in a while I'll have a 3-4 pound loss, but that's rare. I just take it as it comes and continue on. I know that my body is reshaping itself and that takes time and energy too. Stick with it!

:soap:
Ladies!
We need to stop calling ourselves slow losers (present company included!)
Look at how slowly we lost on ANY other weight loss plan we attempted!

My coach told me a couple weeks ago that IP is taking the 3-5 lbs average off of their printed material.

It came up b/c I asked for a couple brochures to give to 2 people who had asked me about the plan. As I reached for the brochures, she asked me to wait while she dug new ones out of a box. That's when she told me they were removing those claims.

So, we ARE NOT slow losers after all!!!!

NinjaNurse
12-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Joysh: you look amazing!
Desiree13: inspiring NSV!!

scorbett1103
12-02-2012, 04:36 PM
Desiree - that is an AWESOME nsv!!!

fam4me
12-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Got a call last night from a fellow church choir member asking me to be on deck for her solo as she sounded miserable. Called again this morning and said she definitely could not sing. So it was impromptu solo day for me but it went well. Still staying OP and hoping for a decent loss this week. I was up a half pound last week but did lose over 3 inches.

desiree13
12-02-2012, 07:01 PM
Home again and enjoying my big mac in a bowl! Thanks for the recipes, I'm really liking this!
Not sure if the weekend was NSV, I'll weigh in tomorrow!

Im escaping
12-02-2012, 09:19 PM
All right ladies, give me strength.

I am going to put together gift packages for my store, complete with chocolate.....aaaaaahhhhhh!!

I have avoided all weekend, and have no choice but to do them now. I even tried to buy chocolates I don't like, but those fruity ones and cherries don't come packaged individually:(

Okay, I have strength, commitment, and you ladies to give me heck, so I should be good. Cross that out, I WILL be good.

PS. Lizzr......what the heck?! :) I said magic formula...not math formula!! I'm going to try (procrastinate from gift packaging a little more). And then I will check my numbers with you. Thank you:)