Ideal Protein Diet - What kind of gum

View Full Version : What kind of gum

libertybelle
11-29-2012, 10:50 PM
do you chew on IP, if your coach allows?

After reading some uses talk about chewing gum, I really think chewing gum would be useful and looked at a lot of labels, but just got more confused... sorbitol, xylitol, etc...

Are you chewing gum? If so, please tell me, what is working for you?

Thanks!!!

southern
11-29-2012, 10:59 PM
I haven't touched a piece of gum since I started in September. I had to get it out of my head that i needed to be chewing something. This diet is something I need to maintain for life. Wanting to chew means I'm hungry and need to eat, or I'm bored and need to find something better to do.

That's just me

Before, i used http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/02200001383_220x220_a.jpg

Dinie89
11-29-2012, 11:40 PM
my coach allows me to have fire by dentyne

Dancer456
11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
My coach allowed orbitz. You are supposed to check the sugar alcohol in the gum is what I was told. Although, I try not to chew it very often.

ddd849
11-30-2012, 12:28 AM
In my clinic, they sell gum with xylitol in it called Spry. They also make mints. I ave also found Pur gum that as the same sweetener.

JenRem
11-30-2012, 01:46 AM
In my clinic, they sell gum with xylitol in it called Spry. They also make mints. I ave also found Pur gum that as the same sweetener.

I can't comment specifically on the xylitol regarding IP, but I use the Spry mints daily (my fav is Berryblast - tastes like stawberry quik milk) and it hasn't impacted my weight loss or caused any cravings. I like to have them in my pocket in case I want to quickly freshen my breath. I have to be careful with them because they are yummy and I can easily find myself "chewing" the mints and they're gone in seconds. If I do this too often, they are more like candy. So, I try to consciously focus on NOT chewing them and only sucking them until they are entirely gone.

I'm in the dental field and this is an AWESOME product. Xylitol is a natural non-sugar sweetener. It has about 1/2 the calories as regular table sugar (sucrose). I know our bodies actually produce some daily, it comes from birch trees and it has a positive effect in the mouth. Where most sugars have a 6 carbon structure, xylitol has a 5 carbon structure. This chemical structure difference makes it so that the bacteria in our mouth have a difficult time attaching/clinging to our teeth. The xylitol leaves a microscopic slippery layer on our teeth (we can't feel this!). If you are going to use xylitol and want to get the dental benefits, it is recommended that you chew the gum or suck on the mints for a minimum of 5 minutes straight at least three times a day. This is esp. recommended after a meal or snack that contained carbohydrates, to disrupt the activity of the bacteria in our mouth. Spry is one of the BEST brands because it's 100% xylitol. Locally, we can find it at a store called Super Supplements. At the grocery stores, you can find gum and mints that have xylitol, but the amount won't be 100%. If you are looking for xylitol prodcuts, try to find the word xylitol listed as the first (or as close to it) ingredient on the list of ingredients on the gum or mints. The closer to 100%, the better for your teeth.
Hope I didn't bore you too much, but this was fun since it's a topic I actually know something about. Jen:cool:

benice
11-30-2012, 03:42 AM
I chew Orbitz. I also occasionally chew Extra, but have a sensitive stomach, so that is less awesome for me.

All of this being said, I'm not sure what the rules are on sugar substitutes beyond the 0/0/0 mandate. Personally, I chew gum and drink diet Coke. I've not noticed an impact on my weight loss. I don't chew gum as a replacement for eating snacks. I chew it because I like to. So the need to psychologically deprive myself is not a factor in my decision to pop a few bubbles on a daily basis.

EPAPRN
11-30-2012, 07:00 AM
my clinic only allows Spry and Dentyne Fire.

RN2b4me
11-30-2012, 08:23 AM
Mine only allows those Listerine Breath Strips. No gum at all.

scorbett1103
11-30-2012, 08:28 AM
I can't comment specifically on the xylitol regarding IP, but I use the Spry mints daily (my fav is Berryblast - tastes like stawberry quik milk) and it hasn't impacted my weight loss or caused any cravings. I like to have them in my pocket in case I want to quickly freshen my breath. I have to be careful with them because they are yummy and I can easily find myself "chewing" the mints and they're gone in seconds. If I do this too often, they are more like candy. So, I try to consciously focus on NOT chewing them and only sucking them until they are entirely gone.

I'm in the dental field and this is an AWESOME product. Xylitol is a natural non-sugar sweetener. It has about 1/2 the calories as regular table sugar (sucrose). I know our bodies actually produce some daily, it comes from birch trees and it has a positive effect in the mouth. Where most sugars have a 6 carbon structure, xylitol has a 5 carbon structure. This chemical structure difference makes it so that the bacteria in our mouth have a difficult time attaching/clinging to our teeth. The xylitol leaves a microscopic slippery layer on our teeth (we can't feel this!). If you are going to use xylitol and want to get the dental benefits, it is recommended that you chew the gum or suck on the mints for a minimum of 5 minutes straight at least three times a day. This is esp. recommended after a meal or snack that contained carbohydrates, to disrupt the activity of the bacteria in our mouth. Spry is one of the BEST brands because it's 100% xylitol. Locally, we can find it at a store called Super Supplements. At the grocery stores, you can find gum and mints that have xylitol, but the amount won't be 100%. If you are looking for xylitol prodcuts, try to find the word xylitol listed as the first (or as close to it) ingredient on the list of ingredients on the gum or mints. The closer to 100%, the better for your teeth.
Hope I didn't bore you too much, but this was fun since it's a topic I actually know something about. Jen:cool:

JenRem this is AWESOME information!!!

djs06
11-30-2012, 09:01 AM
JenRem, thanks for that info! My dentist recommended finding gum/mints with Xylitol but didn't explain it nearly as well (or tell me how often to use it)! Now I will be sure to hunt some down.

I chew orbitz bubblemint once a day or so- on my way home and while I'm making dinner- 1 carb for each piece. I figure it's better that than shoving something random in my mouth as soon as I walk in the door.

libertybelle
11-30-2012, 10:03 AM

Thank you so much for this! I was just reading about it, but your reply is answers the why better. I've found a few 100% xylitol gums, including spry, now just trying to eliminate the ones with titanium dioxide... I wish I could taste test for free!

mightbe
11-30-2012, 11:01 AM
I also chew orbit....I love gum:T

AnnaBoBanna
11-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I chew all kinds of sugarfree gum, most often Orbitz and extra. I LOVE extras mint chocolate chip ice cream and apple pie! It's good for when I want a little sweet. I've been a gum chewer for years, though.

Calisto
11-30-2012, 05:26 PM
I am horrible because I won't ask my coach lol... I am afraid she will say no gum. I LOVE gum and chew 6-8 pieces a day (two at a time so I can blow bubbles!)

I just have to chew it, it helps settle my stomach, cut the craving when I am hungry 30 min before lunch etc. I actually alternate chewing gum and eating ice.

yes... I have an oral fixation! lol I chew Extra and Orbitz.

I would rather give up bread for life (YIKES) than give up my gum! lol

lisa32989
11-30-2012, 05:31 PM
;)
I used to be that way but I gave up gum and mints when I learned that artificial sweeteners can leave you craving more sweet. I actually added some back in to do IP...but I'm losing and having fewer cravings than in my entire life so something MUST be working...

I'm STILL not adding in an excessive amount, however. I don't wanna tempt it. But man! I used to use everything I could to keep from eating!

libertybelle
11-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Yay! Gum is on my list for tomorrow! Thanks everyone! Never Imagined I'd be so excited about gum...

JenRem
12-01-2012, 02:16 AM
JenRem this is AWESOME information!!!

JenRem, thanks for that info! My dentist recommended finding gum/mints with Xylitol but didn't explain it nearly as well (or tell me how often to use it)! Now I will be sure to hunt some down.

I chew orbitz bubblemint once a day or so- on my way home and while I'm making dinner- 1 carb for each piece. I figure it's better that than shoving something random in my mouth as soon as I walk in the door.

Thank you so much for this! I was just reading about it, but your reply is answers the why better. I've found a few 100% xylitol gums, including spry, now just trying to eliminate the ones with titanium dioxide... I wish I could taste test for free!

I'm so glad some of you didn't mind my terribly long post LOL! If any of you are really intested in the Spry or have already used it and like it..... I order from a company on-line called iHerb.com. I can get each container about $2-3 less than I can from Super Supplements. If you order $40 you get free 2 day delivery (which I know is a lot to spend on gum or mints, but I order about 2 times a year).

So often we hear of studies on the news that have conflicting information.... Are eggs good or bad, is butter better for us than margarine, is wine in moderation good for us??? Well, the great thing about xylitol is that it has been around at least as long as WWII and it has never had any negative studies against it! If any of you have diabetic friends/family or know people who struggle with dry mouth (xerostomia) - xylitol is especially great for these people. There have been studies showing that people with diabetes have more controlled blood glucose levels when they keep healthier/cleaner mouths. Also, many prescription medications (some blood pressure, anti-depressants, anti-anxiety and others - about 200 medications) are known to have dry mouth side effects (sometimes, people don't even realize this has happened). Dry mouth makes it much easier to develop cavities because the saliva glands don't produce enough saliva to effectively wash the food/drink from our mouths down to our stomach (called oral clearance). So, the food remants stays in our mouth and the xylitol can neutralize the sugar base almost immediately. Happy chewing or sucking :) Jen