Ideal Protein Diet - Alternative products that will work on Phase 1

Pages : [1] 2 3

rainbowsmiles
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I am not the original poster of the original thread but since it is close to 500 post it will be closed shortly. I wanted to make sure that we all still had a place to post and chat.

IF YOU HAVE TRIED and know it works, please respond with the product and your results.

rainbowsmiles
11-29-2012, 12:21 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/203447-alternative-products-work-phase-1-a.html

rainbowsmiles
11-29-2012, 12:22 PM
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/265851-switching-alternatives.html

mei
11-29-2012, 12:47 PM
subscribing and carrying over notes on my favorite shake mix:

ISOPure Low Carb Dutch Chocolate - Stats for 1 scoop:

Cal.......Fat...Cholest ..Sodium ..Potass.....Carb....Fiber..Sugar..NET Carb...Protein
105......0 ......2.5........160........375........1.5.......1 .......0.........0.5..........25

I had a trial of this I used my first week OP. Bought other mixes to try because I didnt want to commit to a huge tub uness i was impressed. I was so happy to go back to ISOPure when the others ran out. This mix is very smooth. Doesnt clump or have wierd mouth feel like other mixes I've tried (NOW brand, Pure Protein). I like the ratios of nutrients it offers and best of all it tastes yummy.

locopollo
11-29-2012, 02:39 PM
subscribing and carrying over notes on my favorite shake mix:

ISOPure Low Carb Dutch Chocolate - Stats for 1 scoop:

Cal.......Fat...Cholest ..Sodium ..Potass.....Carb....Fiber..Sugar..NET Carb...Protein
105......0 ......2.5........160........375........1.5.......1 .......0.........0.5..........25

I had a trial of this I used my first week OP. Bought other mixes to try because I didnt want to commit to a huge tub uness i was impressed. I was so happy to go back to ISOPure when the others ran out. This mix is very smooth. Doesnt clump or have wierd mouth feel like other mixes I've tried (NOW brand, Pure Protein). I like the ratios of nutrients it offers and best of all it tastes yummy.

What kind of sweetener does this have? I can't use Ace-K aka acesulfate potassium because it makes me feel like I have fibromyalgia. :(.

mei
11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
What kind of sweetener does this have?
I only see Sucralose per the nutrition info online, but definitely scrutinize the details yourself just in case. If you have that kind of reaction it's definitely something to double check :)

scorbett1103
11-29-2012, 03:11 PM
OMG I have a new favorite savory snack - Health Wise (Health Smart) Cheddar puffs!!! I liked the IP southwest cheese puffs but wasn't always crazy about the spiciness. These are PERFECT!

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/index.php?dispatch=tags.view&tag=HealthSmart+Snack+-+Protein+Puffs+White+Cheddar

locopollo
11-29-2012, 03:17 PM
I only see Sucralose per the nutrition info online, but definitely scrutinize the details yourself just in case. If you have that kind of reaction it's definitely something to double check :)

Awesome! Thanks! I will add it to my list!

lisa32989
11-29-2012, 05:06 PM
OMG I have a new favorite savory snack - Health Wise (Health Smart) Cheddar puffs!!! I liked the IP southwest cheese puffs but wasn't always crazy about the spiciness. These are PERFECT!

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/index.php?dispatch=tags.view&tag=HealthSmart+Snack+-+Protein+Puffs+White+Cheddar
Like cheetos?:D

LosingLawyer
11-29-2012, 05:25 PM

Adding these to my next order. I have an order arriving tomorrow that will have the Proti-Diet White Cheddar Crisps in it (based on your recommendation). I can't wait to try to them!

djs06
11-29-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks, scorbett! I'm compiling my nashua order list for payday tomorrow and will add it! :lol:

Has anyone tried:

Weight Loss Systems Pudding - Chocolate Chip with Marshmallows

Weight Loss Systems Pudding - Classic Butterscotch

Weight Loss Systems Snack - Pretzel Twists

Weight Loss Systems Snack - Milk Chocolate Crunchies

Proti-Thin Crispy Treats - Vanilla

I am trying to pare down my obnoxiously long list of items, haha.

scorbett1103
11-29-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, scorbett! I'm compiling my nashua order list for payday tomorrow and will add it! :lol:

Has anyone tried:

Do you mean the WLS chocolate pudding with marshmallows? That's on my regular rotation, dark choc pudding with little marshmallow bits, very yummy :)

The Proti Thin crispy treats would be on the super restricted (can only have twice a week) list, they are high carb (16g net carbs). I've tended to stay away from stuff like that, just because I know i'd never be able to limit myself if they were that good :)

rainbowsmiles
11-29-2012, 08:41 PM

Has anyone tried:

i have tried the chocolate chip with marshmallows...and find it only ok. i like the cocomint cream better.

i have not tried any other items.

djs06
11-29-2012, 09:56 PM
Thanks ladies!

Scorbett, I only ordered two of th crispy treats for precisely that reason. Don't want to have something too good sitting around! :)

locopollo
11-29-2012, 10:25 PM
Thanks ladies!

Scorbett, I only ordered two of th crispy treats for precisely that reason. Don't want to have something too good sitting around! :)

I had a ProtiDiet crispy treat this morning. It was a freebie. I liked the texture a lot, but mine was banana, and I wasn't too thrilled with the flavor.

Butterfly queen
11-29-2012, 10:46 PM

Has anyone tried:

Proti-Thin Crispy Treats- Vanilla remind me of rice crispy treats.

Im escaping
11-29-2012, 10:47 PM
I've only tried the pretzel twists from your list. They were definitely okay when you want a snack, towards the end of the bag you remember to drink your water as they can be drying!! But for that occasional change, I like them.

djs06
11-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Proti-Thin Crispy Treats- Vanilla remind me of rice crispy treats.

Yes! That's what I was hoping! Thanks!

I've only tried the pretzel twists from your list. They were definitely okay when you want a snack, towards the end of the bag you remember to drink your water as they can be drying!! But for that occasional change, I like them.

Thanks! They only sell them in single bags so I just bought one. But I'm excited to try it!

I'll let you all know how the others are- I needed a change because I'm getting slightly bored of the tried and true :)

lisa32989
12-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Hey all
Use this thread to discuss alternative products

Lareena
12-13-2012, 09:44 PM

I really enjoy these as well, my only complaint is what my clothing looks like after I eat them.. they are really messy with the fine puffy stuff.:dance:

lisa32989
12-14-2012, 07:56 AM
Bumping this as a reminder
No need to start new threads about alternative products
Chat here!

Here is a link to the previous thread for reference
Alternatives for Phase 1 "talk"

gazelle
12-14-2012, 08:41 AM
I have learned so much from these boards about alternative products. Everyone has been so helpful! Just wanted to say thanks because I read daily but rarely post.

The best products I have used are:

Proti-diet hot cocoa mix (I mix it with my coffee with cayenne and cinnamon)

Proti-diet apple cinnamon oatmeal and maple oatmeal. I like the fact that they are lower in carbs than the IP version.

Pure Protein bars and pre-made vanilla drink (to add to my tea--has a reclosable top).

I have bought the EAS drinks in vanilla and chocolate, but I am not as wild about the flavor.

Tennismania
12-14-2012, 09:00 AM
Thank you for all this great info. After my pitiful office did not have any of my food, I have decided to go rogue. Any thoughts on where to buy the items you mentioned would be helpful. I ordered some IP food online last night but would love to try these others as well. My coach also told me that he threw the scale by accident! I know not all scales are the same, but this one was always off a bit in my opinion.:dizzy:

Fishette
12-14-2012, 09:35 AM
I use Costco Premiere Protein shakes - vanilla for my morning latte and chocolate for my evening hot cocoa. During the day I eat a Proti- item - my favorite is the choc or vanilla wafer. There is a single wafer one and a double wafer one. The doubles are a bit tastier but more carbs. I buy them from Nashua Nutrition .com

Happy hunting!

scorbett1103
12-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Thank you for all this great info. After my pitiful office did not have any of my food, I have decided to go rogue. Any thoughts on where to buy the items you mentioned would be helpful. I ordered some IP food online last night but would love to try these others as well. My coach also told me that he threw the scale by accident! I know not all scales are the same, but this one was always off a bit in my opinion.:dizzy:

Most folks order from www.nashuanutrition.com - they carry the Proti Diet, Proti-thin, Health Smart and Weight Loss System brands which all have a great line that fall within IP's nutritional guidelines.

I recommend still using IP's vitamins (multivitamin, cal mag and potassium calcium), which you can order at www.plainprotein.com with free shipping.

WingnutandMe
12-14-2012, 11:24 AM

Like Scorbett said, Nashua has the biggest selection. I also use Doctors Best Weight Loss. Here is a link to everything they carry that is asparatame free (how convenient). http://www.doctorsbestweightloss.com/aspartame-free/ Sometimes they are a little more than Nashua, but they often have things Nashua is out of stock on. Also, they will put their own brand name on the same products, so just look at the package pictures on Nashua and then there (and the ingredients) and you can match them up.

Netrition (www.netrition.com) is great for DaVinci and Torani syrups and also Walden Farms. Their always a flat $4.95 shipping. That really works for all those heavy glass bottle for the syrups and WF.

Just ask questions here. There are those of us who have been on alternatives for months.

Molly

WingnutandMe
12-14-2012, 11:46 AM
BTW, speaking of Doctors Best Weight Loss. I just got an email that for the 3 day weekend they are running a special, Free variety pack of protein bars with a $65 order. Mention "Variety Bars" on the order instructions when checking out. They always have free shipping for orders over $55.

Happy shopping.
Molly

maezy1
12-14-2012, 11:48 AM
OMG!!!! got my maple/brown sugar oatmeal!!! Had it for breakfast this morning and it was so good!!!! especially being unrestricted!!! I felt like I was cheating! I Was like a kid in a candy shop yesterday when my first order came in!!!!

Nolawhodatchick
12-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi all-

I asked this on the daily thread once and got no response. Trying again here...can we safely substitute regular (unsalted) soybeans like you can buy in bulk from Whole Foods for the IP soy bean packets? They are so much cheaper than the packets, and soybeans are easy to munch if you find yourself on the go but needing a snack or meal.

Thanks in advance!

scorbett1103
12-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi all-

I asked this on the daily thread once and got no response. Trying again here...can we safely substitute regular (unsalted) soybeans like you can buy in bulk from Whole Foods for the IP soy bean packets? They are so much cheaper than the packets, and soybeans are easy to munch if you find yourself on the go but needing a snack or meal.

Thanks in advance!

Nope - soy beans are a legume and are on the no-go list for Phase 1. The soy nuts on IP are NOT whole soy beans, they are basically crunchy soy puffs. One ounce of dry roasted soy beans has 125 calories, 51 calories from fat (much too fattening for IP).

Nolawhodatchick
12-14-2012, 12:53 PM
Nope - soy beans are a legume and are on the no-go list for Phase 1. The soy nuts on IP are NOT whole soy beans, they are basically crunchy soy puffs. One ounce of dry roasted soy beans has 125 calories, 51 calories from fat (much too fattening for IP).

Thank you! And WOW, that's a lot of fat! Reminds me of the recent posts with garlic and how its such a huge no-no (except used sparingly as a spice)!

ablever
12-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Like Scorbett said, Nashua has the biggest selection. I also use Doctors Best Weight Loss. Here is a link to everything they carry that is asparatame free (how convenient). http://www.doctorsbestweightloss.com/aspartame-free/ Sometimes they are a little more than Nashua, but they often have things Nashua is out of stock on. Also, they will put their own brand name on the same products, so just look at the package pictures on Nashua and then there (and the ingredients) and you can match them up.

Just ask questions here. There are those of us who have been on alternatives for months.

Molly

Hi, Molly. Thanks for the link and information about Doctors Best. Can you give suggestions on products you tried and liked? The website is great but I would love to get tips on what was good and what wasn't.

Thanks a bunch!

WingnutandMe
12-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Hi, Molly. Thanks for the link and information about Doctors Best. Can you give suggestions on products you tried and liked? The website is great but I would love to get tips on what was good and what wasn't.

Thanks a bunch!

Sent you a PM.

Beanie Mommy
12-14-2012, 09:10 PM
I know that dairy is a general no-go on the IP phase 1 sheet, but has anyone else wondered if plain fat-free Greek yogurt could be an acceptable unrestricted alternative? 6 oz. is 100 cal, 0 fat, 18g protein, and 7 carbs, but all sugar (lactose). Any thoughts?

I just restarted on alternatives, and was hoping to find some stuff that I can just buy at the grocery store. Love everyone's suggestions in this thread. I've been okay so far with the proti diet alternatives ordered off Amazon.com.

scorbett1103
12-14-2012, 09:49 PM
I know that dairy is a general no-go on the IP phase 1 sheet, but has anyone else wondered if plain fat-free Greek yogurt could be an acceptable unrestricted alternative? 6 oz. is 100 cal, 0 fat, 18g protein, and 7 carbs, but all sugar (lactose). Any thoughts?

I just restarted on alternatives, and was hoping to find some stuff that I can just buy at the grocery store. Love everyone's suggestions in this thread. I've been okay so far with the proti diet alternatives ordered off Amazon.com.

Unfortunately, no. I believe it is because of the sugars.

psjones
12-14-2012, 11:23 PM

IP has soy nuts (BBQ or Garlic & Onion) and soy puffs (lemon, peanut, chocolate). The nuts are not puffs and are very similar to those generally available, but I have not compared the nutritional labels.

mompattie
12-15-2012, 12:29 AM

IP has soy nuts (BBQ or Garlic & Onion) and soy puffs (lemon, peanut, chocolate). The nuts are not puffs and are very similar to those generally available, but I have not compared the nutritional labels.

IP does have soy nuts. Scorbett is talking about soy puffs. I use soy nuts from the health food store but carefully read the label, then measure and per package them! I measured an IP silver packet of sit nuts first to know.

maezy1
12-15-2012, 02:46 PM
Just tried the creamy vegetable soup by proti diet - yum!!!

scorbett1103
12-15-2012, 03:09 PM

I am aware of that - however the soy nuts from IP are NOT whole roasted soy nuts, the fat content is much too low. The OP was referring to whole roasted soy nuts.

mquinn106
12-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Hello!
Newbie here. Planning to start IP on January 2nd. I would like to use a few alternatives in addition to regular IP packets. Has anyone tried the Pizza from ProtiDiet? Has anyone used Body Fortress protein powder rather than the chocolate drink and seen the same results?

scorbett1103
12-15-2012, 05:45 PM
Hello!
Newbie here. Planning to start IP on January 2nd. I would like to use a few alternatives in addition to regular IP packets. Has anyone tried the Pizza from ProtiDiet? Has anyone used Body Fortress protein powder rather than the chocolate drink and seen the same results?

I know of several people who tried the ProtiDiet pizza, it's definitely fine to use just treat it as a restricted item.

Re: Body fortress, the Whey Isolate is the one closest nutritionally to IP, but be very careful as one scoop is MUCH higher in protein than IP products (IP is 15-18g protein, one scoop of that is 30g). In the case of high protein diets, more is NOT necessarily better - you would actually get the equivalent of TWO packets of protein with one scoop, but not enough calories or other nutrients to equal two packets.

EmmaD
12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
RE: IP soy nuts... In helping my mother plan IP alternatives, and using a lot of them myself, I have been substituting 1 ounce/28 g of soy nuts for the IP soy nuts.

According to the ingredients label, the IP Soy Nuts consist of just soy beans, oil and seasoning (with ironically, real sugar!)
http://www.plainprotein.com/snacks/garlic-onion-soy-nuts/
http://www.plainprotein.com/snacks/bbq-soy-nuts/

The IP soy nuts have 60 calories from fat, 3 g of sugar and the protein levels aren't as high as many of the other snacks (11 g) ... Not really sure why they are IP-approved, but they are! They cost $27 for ~7 ounces. So if you were going to use these, and wanted to save money, seems like it would be OK to substitute. Though maybe treat it as a restricted because of the fat and sugar?

EmmaD
12-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Hello!

I tried the ProtiDiet pizza based on reviews I read here. It's pretty darn good! I roll it out very thin so I can pile it high with veggies. I pre-cook the crust before adding the sauce and pre-cook the veggies. Also I have been adding spinach puree to the sauce mix - turns a really bizarre color but is so delicious. Hope you like it!

southern
12-16-2012, 12:01 PM
i know past threads love the pure protein bars, but they are a NEGATIVE for me

benice
12-17-2012, 12:29 PM
When figuring out carb couts for an alternative, do you subtract sugar alcohols? I'm thinking of using Detour bars with lower sugar. Here's the break down. Thanks for your help, in advance!

Total Carb 17g
Fiber = 2g
Sugars = 1g
Sugar Alcohol = 14g

Net carb = 1g??

scorbett1103
12-17-2012, 12:51 PM
When figuring out carb couts for an alternative, do you subtract sugar alcohols? I'm thinking of using Detour bars with lower sugar. Here's the break down. Thanks for your help, in advance!

Total Carb 17g
Fiber = 2g
Sugars = 1g
Sugar Alcohol = 14g

Net carb = 1g??

As a general rule, no. I believe there are some forms of sugar alcohols that are not digested or do not have as much of an effect on the body, but it is not true for all forms of sugar alcohols. And just as fair warning, sugar alcohols can frequently have...unpleasant effects on your GI system.

I would treat that bar you posted about as a restricted, and pay attention to if it gives you an upset stomach.

benice
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks! They're advertising this as Neg 1g of carbs, so they must think these sugar alcohols are the ones that are not absorbed, but I think the bigger issue here might be the impact on my stomach!

ablever
12-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your posts, suggestions and discussions about alternatives. :hug:

I just placed my first order with Nashua and Vitacost and the process was made much clearer and easier thanks to all that was noted on these threads.

An especially big thank you to Molly (Wingnut), Scorbett and Rainbow for such detailed accounts and recommendations. I took those to heart and ordered many of your favorites.

And Lisa32989, you'd be so proud of me! I went all the way back to the earlier Alternative threads dating back to 2010 and read EACH and EVERY post so I could find the answers to all my questions without repeating them here! It was a bit tricky and hard to follow because there were a few threads but I spent the time and gleaned lots of information from all you experienced alter-NATIVES :)

Looking forward to my upcoming boxes....Christmas presents TO ME, FROM ME :)

:carrot:

Fishette
12-19-2012, 08:25 AM
You've sure earned your stripes, Ablever! Enjoy some new variety. My fav is the choc or vanilla wafer that are the one bar. The wafers that are the 2 bars are too high carb for me, but oh so yummy!

rainbowsmiles
12-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you for your posts, suggestions and discussions about alternatives. :hug:

I just placed my first order with Nashua and Vitacost and the process was made much clearer and easier thanks to all that was noted on these threads.

An especially big thank you to Molly (Wingnut), Scorbett and Rainbow for such detailed accounts and recommendations. I took those to heart and ordered many of your favorites.

And Lisa32989, you'd be so proud of me! I went all the way back to the earlier Alternative threads dating back to 2010 and read EACH and EVERY post so I could find the answers to all my questions without repeating them here! It was a bit tricky and hard to follow because there were a few threads but I spent the time and gleaned lots of information from all you experienced alter-NATIVES :)

Looking forward to my upcoming boxes....Christmas presents TO ME, FROM ME :)

i love it!!! christmas presents from ME to ME!!! awesome!!!!! you did exactly the same thing i did when i first came here....it was worth reading through the thread!! way to go!! can't wait to hear about your goodies and what YOU like!!!

scorbett1103
12-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Glad to have helped ablever! Enjoy your new treats!! :)

benice
12-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Nice work! I'm sure Lisa will be proud!!! I always think of her when I ask a dumb question that I'm sure is somewhere in these horrible to search threads that I have ZERO patience for ;). You are a TROOPER for getting through them!

Lynnie63
12-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Thank you! And WOW, that's a lot of fat! Reminds me of the recent posts with garlic and how its such a huge no-no (except used sparingly as a spice)!

Can you tell me what's wrong with garlic or where these posts are? I searched for "garlic" but there's a lot of them out there.

Thanks.

Keish
12-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Can someone please send me the link of where i can find the alternatives thread? I am on IP week 3 and its really getting expensive and would like to switch to alternatives as well. I would really appreciate the link to the thread.

lisa32989
12-20-2012, 06:41 PM
This is the alternatives thread. Have you read thru the whole thing?
There is good info here, including some links to previous alt threads :)

Good luck!

scorbett1103
12-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Can you tell me what's wrong with garlic or where these posts are? I searched for "garlic" but there's a lot of them out there.

Thanks.

There's nothing wrong with garlic when you are talking about using a couple of cloves in a recipe that serves a few people, the concentration is small enough that it counts just as a seasoning/spice.

The question came up before about eating whole garlic as a veggie. 1 cup of garlic has 203 calories and 45g carbs, that's where it gets problematic :)

bubbleblower
12-20-2012, 08:43 PM
The question came up before about eating whole garlic as a veggie. 1 cup of garlic has 203 calories and 45g carbs, that's where it gets problematic :)

:lol: !!!! I would think that would be problematic from more than one standpoint! :o

ablever
12-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Hello, everyone!

Wondering if anyone wants to do the refer-a-friend with me on dietdirect. I'm about to place my first order and noticed that if someone who has already purchased from them refers me, we each get $10. So if you're interested, PM me.

If you'd like to share your tried and true favorites on the site, that would be welcomed and appreciated, too :)

LoriKay
12-21-2012, 10:14 PM
I spent about 1/2 an hour reading to find this info that I know is out there, but gave up. What can I buy to replace the chocolate drink mix (for hot chocolate) and caramel crunch protien bars. These are my favorites from IP but since I'm hoping to not go back to my coach I need alternatives!

scorbett1103
12-21-2012, 10:20 PM
I spent about 1/2 an hour reading to find this info that I know is out there, but gave up. What can I buy to replace the chocolate drink mix (for hot chocolate) and caramel crunch protien bars. These are my favorites from IP but since I'm hoping to not go back to my coach I need alternatives!

Chocolate drink alternative:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261930-ip-chocolate-drink-alternative.html

Caramel Crunch:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/266666-alternative-reviews-vol-1-a-2.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/233679-ordering-alternative-products-online-need-ideas.html

lisa32989
12-22-2012, 05:04 PM
bumping for new folks

scorbett1103
12-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Danger, Will Robinson!!

I think I have found a new love - Syntrax Nectar shakes! My nutrition store sells the big tubs (32 servings) but I noticed today that they ALSO have single serve packets. I picked up a couple to try, I'm not a huge shake person but I wouldn't mind the convenience of shakes for breakfast. Well tonight for my snack, I tried the Double Stuffed Cookie - YUMMMMMMMMMMM. I used 12 oz of water and it made it a little thin, but I'm betting with 8oz it would be a nice, thick-ish shake that would beat any Oreo craving into submission!!!

here are the stats per serving:
100 cal
0.5g fat
4g carbs
23g protein
NO Aspartame

WingnutandMe
12-22-2012, 11:21 PM
Danger, Will Robinson!!

I think I have found a new love - Syntrax Nectar shakes! My nutrition store sells the big tubs (32 servings) but I noticed today that they ALSO have single serve packets. I picked up a couple to try, I'm not a huge shake person but I wouldn't mind the convenience of shakes for breakfast. Well tonight for my snack, I tried the Double Stuffed Cookie - YUMMMMMMMMMMM. I used 12 oz of water and it made it a little thin, but I'm betting with 8oz it would be a nice, thick-ish shake that would beat any Oreo craving into submission!!!

100 cal
0.5g fat
4g carbs
23g protein
NO Aspartame

I've been using those for months now. My favorite is the Chocolate Truffle. I did go through a jar of the Double Stuffed Cookie and am on my second jar of the Truffle. You found a winner.

Molly

NinjaNurse
12-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Danger, Will Robinson!!

100 cal
0.5g fat
4g carbs
23g protein
NO Aspartame

MUST have a nutrition store playdate soon!!!

LoriKay
12-23-2012, 03:06 AM
Chocolate drink alternative:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261930-ip-chocolate-drink-alternative.html

Caramel Crunch:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/266666-alternative-reviews-vol-1-a-2.html

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/233679-ordering-alternative-products-online-need-ideas.html

Thank you!!!

AliKay
12-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Nashua Nutrition has free shipping on orders $49 or more until January 5th. Code:HOLIDAY49 at checkout US only!

International Customers : Use PromoCode HOLIDAY10 to
receive $10 off towards your shipping cost on orders over $49.00.
**Holiday Shipping Promotion Not Valid For Prior Orders.**
**Promo Codes Are Case Sensitive**

MonicaKolesnik
12-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I've been using those for months now. My favorite is the Chocolate Truffle. I did go through a jar of the Double Stuffed Cookie and am on my second jar of the Truffle. You found a winner.

Molly

Danger, Will Robinson!!

100 cal
0.5g fat
4g carbs
23g protein
NO Aspartame

I am going to have to try these. I bought the strawberry cream pudding from WLS and loved it, so it is definitely time to try more things. Thanks so much ladies. Keep the reviews and suggestions coming.

MonicaKolesnik
12-23-2012, 02:57 PM
Danger, Will Robinson!!

100 cal
0.5g fat
4g carbs
23g protein
NO Aspartame

I looked up the Sytrax on Nashua and its own site and the only individual packs I could find the stats were
Calories 90
-Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0
-Saturated Fat 0
Cholesterol <5g
Total Carbs 0g
-Dietary Fiber 0g
-Sugars 0g
Protein 23g
for one pack of double stuffed cookie. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

WingnutandMe
12-23-2012, 04:03 PM
I looked up the Sytrax on Nashua and its own site and the only individual packs I could find the stats were
Calories 90
-Calories from Fat 0
Total Fat 0
-Saturated Fat 0
Cholesterol <5g
Total Carbs 0g
-Dietary Fiber 0g
-Sugars 0g
Protein 23g
for one pack of double stuffed cookie. Am I looking for the wrong thing?

I have the Chocolate Truffle in the container and it is right about the same (100 cal, 24 gr protein). I love the NO carbs.

Molly

MonicaKolesnik
12-23-2012, 05:23 PM
I have the Chocolate Truffle in the container and it is right about the same (100 cal, 24 gr protein). I love the NO carbs.

Molly

Ok great I just ordered some individual packs of the truffle and proti-diet pizza to try'p, and the mocha cream WLS pudding

IdealProteinNewbie
12-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Scorbett and/or Molly,
I picked up a single serve package of Synthrax Nectar Vanilla Bean shake and mixed it with 10 oz. of water (directions say mix with 8-16 oz.). It's been sitting in the fridge for 20 minutes and I just went to drink it. However, it is almost clear and is the consistency of water. Have either of you experienced that with the Synthrax shakes? Maybe I used too much water.

Thanks in advance!

WingnutandMe
12-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Scorbett and/or Molly,
I picked up a single serve package of Synthrax Nectar Vanilla Bean shake and mixed it with 10 oz. of water (directions say mix with 8-16 oz.). It's been sitting in the fridge for 20 minutes and I just went to drink it. However, it is almost clear and is the consistency of water. Have either of you experienced that with the Synthrax shakes? Maybe I used too much water.

Thanks in advance!

I have made the Chocolate Truffle with 8oz of water and 5 ice cubes (regular cubes from trays and not an ice maker) and it tastes okay, but does not have the consistency of using the shake and pudding mixes. It doesn't seem to thicken up like they do. I am a chocoholic, so I don't have any vanilla, but clear doesn't sound right.

Hope that helps.

Molly

scorbett1103
12-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Scorbett and/or Molly,

Thanks in advance!

I have found that more than 8oz of water makes the drink mix too thin for my taste - it's definitely not the thick, protein-ish type of shake that IP's shakes are, but that's what I like about them :) I also stopped using the shaker and just stir with a spoon or whisk, they were getting more foamy than I like.

IdealProteinNewbie
12-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks ladies!

healthyangie
12-27-2012, 02:56 PM
Hey ladies! Going back to Phase 1 in January and my DH is joining me this time! Yay! So I want to do the alternatives to save some money - I've read through the thread and I've ordered a lot of the proti diet stuff (all <8 g carbs) - just want to make sure the oatmeals are considered restricted .. only 5g of carbs.
I also got some of the smooties from Nashua - there's 1 gram of sugar in them, is that ok?

Lizzy63
12-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Hi, guys - I have a question for someone experienced with alternatives. I am on maintenance, but still using shakes and bars pretty regularly as snacks for the convenience. Recently, I purchased some pure protein bars and shakes and my skin is breaking out something awful. Up until a couple of weeks go, I stuck with IP products and had no problem.

I am 50-ish and do get very minor breakouts, usually associated with TOM. (Not really monthly anymore, but you get the point.) This is something all together different!

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the whey protein, and if so, is soy protein less likely to cause a problem?

I have tried to think of other things that have changed that could have caused this, but nothing is obvious. Thought is was a new fabric softener, but washed my pillowcases, towels, and washcloths without any softener and no improvement. No changes is skin care routine, either - I'm very careful with that because I do have sensitive skin.

Advice, anyone?

Chloe222
12-27-2012, 05:19 PM
I tried the ProtiDiet pizza based on reviews I read here. It's pretty darn good! I roll it out very thin so I can pile it high with veggies. I pre-cook the crust before adding the sauce and pre-cook the veggies. Also I have been adding spinach puree to the sauce mix - turns a really bizarre color but is so delicious. Hope you like it!

Do you have a recipe for your pizza sauce?

thanks,
Chloe

MonicaKolesnik
12-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Hey ladies! Going back to Phase 1 in January and my DH is joining me this time! Yay! So I want to do the alternatives to save some money - I've read through the thread and I've ordered a lot of the proti diet stuff (all <8 g carbs) - just want to make sure the oatmeals are considered restricted .. only 5g of carbs.
I also got some of the smooties from Nashua - there's 1 gram of sugar in them, is that ok?

As far as I remember when someone else asked they said that the oatmeal from nashua with less carbs was unrestricted because the carbs are less then 8. I have used many alternatives with some sugar in them and I do believe some of the ideal protein food has grams of sugar in it. I am attaching a photo of the peach mango IP drink and it list 3grams sugar so your fine :)

MonicaKolesnik
12-27-2012, 05:23 PM

thanks,
Chloe

I do believe the proti-diet pizza comes with its own sauce. I just ordered some and it states on the info from nashua how to make the sauce. Hope this helps ;)

Chloe222
12-27-2012, 05:26 PM

Total Carb 17g
Fiber = 2g
Sugars = 1g
Sugar Alcohol = 14g

Net carb = 1g??

Here's some info on sugar alcohols: (it is long and this has been compiled from various posts on 3fatChicks, so thanks to all who contributed). The last link is from Evepet, a great source of info.

IP Artificial Sweeteners
http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php

There hasn't been much research on the effects of stevia, and being a plant extract, it has to be proven unsafe before it can be taken off the market (as ephedra was). And while it has a long track record of apparent safety in it's natural form, even that has never been used in the amounts or concentrations that people are now using them. The little research that has been done (that I could find) found a link to reproductive system birth defects in rodents born of mother rodents eating stevia during pregnancy.

I'm not going to be bearing children, so I'm not overly concerned with moderate use of stevia, but I'm not going to be replacing other sweeteners until I know more (probably checking the German research, because Germany does far more research of herbal products than the USA.

I've done a lot of research of the various sweeteners, and some do have some risks, though not more than other foods artificial and natural. It just reinforces in my mind, that variety and moderation are key, no matter what you do. Eating tons of soy is also not very good for you, but moderate soy intake is fine unless you have some very specific hormonal products.

Aspartame is associated with some problems such as benign (noncancerous) pituitary tumors, and neural tube {spinal} birth defects to the fetus, however it's not really the aspartame - it's the folate deficiency. Aspartame (like many natural foods) depletes folates {I'm not sure by which mechanism, just that it does}. So if you're not eating enough folates in your diet, aspartame can cause or worsen a folate deficiency. Folate deficiency is a cause of most (if not all) of the problems associated with aspartame.

There's a very easy fix - if you're going to be using aspartame regularly, make sure you're eating 5 or more servings of veggies. And if you're not going to eat a lot of veggies, at least take a folic acid supplement.

As for the insulin response, there's been a lot of research and the vast majority of it has found that the artificial sweeteners endorsed by the ADA (American Diabetes Association) do NOT cause an insulin reaction. The few that found insulin response in non-caloric sweeteners was not with aspartame and Splenda it has been with the "natural" sugar alcohols. Some of these seem to cause greater and lesser insulin responses in individuals (meaning some people have an insulin response and some do not).

Personally, I'm happy with using artificial and natural low-calorie sweeteners, but I use less than I used to, and I use a wide variety (including stevia) because I believe that the problems associated with all and any of the sweeteners occur because of overuse.

Though I definite suggest taking a folic acid and spreading out one's sweetener use to include as much variety as possible.

Also there does seem to be some truth to the argument that all sweeteners can exacerbate a sweet tooth, and the more you use, and can increase one's threshold for tasting sweets (the more sweet you eat, natural or not, the less sweet foods in general start to taste, so you may find yourself using more and more.

Personally, I find that sugar does so far more than artificial sweeteners, and I've also found (since switching from mostly aspartame to a wide variety of sweeteners) that using a variety of sweeteners also seem to have less of an effect than using just one.

And I've found that gradually reducing sweetener use and sweet fruits, has made my taste buds more sensitive to all food. And by doing it gradually, I didn't even feel any deprivation (for example, I started mixing in more water or unsweetened tea into my Crystal Light).

a post on my blog about sugar alcohols, including a chart which shows where each falls on the glycemic index scale, which is quite informative I think. You may find it interesting and helpful. Here's the link:
http://diettalktoday.com/what-the-he...hols/#comments (http://diettalktoday.com/what-the-heck-are-sugar-alcohols/#comments)

WingnutandMe
12-27-2012, 05:51 PM
I do believe the proti-diet pizza comes with its own sauce. I just ordered some and it states on the info from nashua how to make the sauce. Hope this helps ;)

Monica, you are right. The pizza comes with two packets for each serving. The sauce and then the dough. The sauce is good. When I do the pizza I add some veggie shreds cheese, some mushrooms and onions and peppers and I found some pepperoni that are about the size of a dime and add a few of those. I don't have it that often as that's adding fat and things I probably should not, but it's such a treat occasionally. Like has been mentioned in the past, roll it out between sheets of parchment paper to get it real thin and make a larger crust size. That way there is room for lots of veggies.

Enjoy
Molly

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 07:18 PM

Anything 8g NET Carbs or less is unrestricted, including the Proti Diet oatmeals :) I use the Cinnamon Spice and Maple Brown Sugar ones all the time!

RE: Sugar in the smoothies, I am not surprised there is some sugar in there, there is sugar even in some IP products - what matters is the carb count. The Phase 1 diet is balanced with consideration for the fact that there are sugars (and some wheat products) in the packets, we just aren't supposed to ADD to what is already there.

thanks,
Chloe

The pizza sauce comes with the Proti Diet pizza mix, but if you were looking to make something from scratch, LizRR's Fun With Veggie Purees thread has her recipe for a red pepper puree that I have used often in place of marinara sauce.

Bellamack
12-27-2012, 07:26 PM
Hi, guys - I have a question for someone experienced with alternatives. I am on maintenance, but still using shakes and bars pretty regularly as snacks for the convenience. Recently, I purchased some pure protein bars and shakes and my skin is breaking out something awful. Up until a couple of weeks go, I stuck with IP products and had no problem.

I am 50-ish and do get very minor breakouts, usually associated with TOM. (Not really monthly anymore, but you get the point.) This is something all together different!

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the whey protein, and if so, is soy protein less likely to cause a problem?

I have tried to think of other things that have changed that could have caused this, but nothing is obvious. Thought is was a new fabric softener, but washed my pillowcases, towels, and washcloths without any softener and no improvement. No changes is skin care routine, either - I'm very careful with that because I do have sensitive skin.

Advice, anyone?

HI Liz,

I have very sensitive skin too and the cold weather is irritating my skin. I use pure protein bars and have had no trouble. I also use whey protein and not soy because I take Synthroid.

Happy New Year to you and your family. Congrats on your accomplishments :)

ChileheadKen
12-27-2012, 08:05 PM
Hi everyone! Hope Christmas and the holidays have been filled with family, friends, and blessings!
I am re-booting after 3 wild carefree, eat everything sweet in sight days! Prior to my "binge, I've been using some IP alternatives for my P1 days and also my "regular" diet days.
Does anyone use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein? My son uses it and I've tried it and it's not too bad, and only 3 carbs. And it's a fraction of the cost of IP! I can get 70 servings for less than the price of 2 boxes of IP packets!
Plus, I'm using Atkins bars with 2-4 net carbs instead of IP. Does anyone else use them? Do they work for you? What I could read about them online seemed to indicate that they would do fine, but the light meal/snack bars only have 10G of protein and 160 calories. The meal bars are 240 cals and 20 grams of protein. But again, they're around a dollar a bar at Sam's instead of $4.00 a bar for IP bars, and they're non-restricted since only 2-4 net carbs.
Thanks!
Ken :flame:

Billster
12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone! Hope Christmas and the holidays have been filled with family, friends, and blessings!
I am re-booting after 3 wild carefree, eat everything sweet in sight days! Prior to my "binge, I've been using some IP alternatives for my P1 days and also my "regular" diet days.
Does anyone use Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold Standard Whey Protein? My son uses it and I've tried it and it's not too bad, and only 3 carbs. And it's a fraction of the cost of IP! I can get 70 servings for less than the price of 2 boxes of IP packets!
Plus, I'm using Atkins bars with 2-4 net carbs instead of IP. Does anyone else use them? Do they work for you? What I could read about them online seemed to indicate that they would do fine, but the light meal/snack bars only have 10G of protein and 160 calories. The meal bars are 240 cals and 20 grams of protein. But again, they're around a dollar a bar at Sam's instead of $4.00 a bar for IP bars, and they're non-restricted since only 2-4 net carbs.
Thanks!

Atkins bars are not the best choice due to fat! I fine oh yeah bars in small size from walmart perfect, also simply bars from costco both cost around 1.50 a bar. If you find simply bars the coconut lemon are amazing!

Billster
12-27-2012, 09:03 PM
Also Ken i have not used the powder you have (im in canada) however the chocolate peanut butter ISO flex powder is amazing! I buy it at GNC or any health/ body building store costs me 98$ for 6lbs= 200 servings. I too need to get back on track after a few days of holiday eating. Every few months i give myself a few days to cheat otherwise i would go mental!

evepet
12-27-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi everyone! Hope everyone's Christmas Season is going well.

Interesting to read the comments/recommendations re Syntrax protein powders. I'm just finishing P3, but know that I'll want to keep a couple of flavors of good protein powder on hand, and am just about needing to restock. The Choc Truffle definitely sounds good and is on my list.

In the past I've enjoyed having a cappuccino protein shake blended with my morning decaf coffee, and can see myself still wanting to do this on occasion even in maintenance. I'm wondering if anybody has used the Syntrax cappuccino blend? http://www.thelowcarbgrocery.com/catalog/syntrax-nectar-whey-protein-isolate-cappuccino-p-3348.html?cPath=132_222_579

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 09:15 PM
Thanks!

I looked up the stats on the Optimum Nutrition mix, it looks good! I just started using some Syntrax Nectar drink mixes myself, a $40 jug works out to about $1.50 per serving and the flavors are GOOD!

RE: Atkins bars - be VERY careful. Atkins is NOT low fat, and most (if not all) of the Atkins products are more than 30% total calories from fat, which is NOT in line with IP products. There are LOTS of other, equally inexpensive bars out there that are a lot closer to what IP makes.

Starshine
12-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Thanks!

Ken, I've used the Optimum Nutrition 100% Gold my entire time. Some flavors are gross though. :) I use the Double Chocolate as my mocha drink, and then the French Vanilla too. I add Capella flavoring drops a lot to change flavors for the drinks. I have a strawberry here that is just so sweet and awful tasting. I can't doctor that up to make it any good, and yet, I haven't tossed it yet. I buy the powder from Amazon.

I've read other posts where others use it also -- no too many, but others have definitely used it.

Good luck with the reboot! :)

Starshine
12-27-2012, 09:24 PM
I looked up the stats on the Optimum Nutrition mix, it looks good! I just started using some Syntrax Nectar drink mixes myself, a $40 jug works out to about $1.50 per serving and the flavors are GOOD!

Ooh, glad it has your seal of approval, Scorbett! :) I'll have to look into the Syntrax also.

chenry970
12-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Hi, I have read almost all of the Phase 1 posts but I have a couple of questions.

1. What sugar substitutes are ok to use and which should be avoided?

2. Has anyone tried the ThinkThin protein bars or compared them to the IP bars?

Thanks so much!

scorbett1103
12-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Hi, I have read almost all of the Phase 1 posts but I have a couple of questions.

1. What sugar substitutes are ok to use and which should be avoided?

2. Has anyone tried the ThinkThin protein bars or compared them to the IP bars?

Thanks so much!

The big sweetener to avoid is aspartame. You also want to watch out for anything loaded with sugar alcohols - companies use the sugar alcohols to make sweet products super low carb - but they cause BAD digestive reactions in a lot of people.

I looked up the stats on the Think Thin bars. They seem to be quite high in calories (200 or more, where IP bars tend to top out around 160 calories), but most concerning was the carbs. They are all VERY high in carbs with little dietary fiber. Some companies go with the idea that sugar alcohols should be subtracted from the total carb count - but because of the digestive issues I mentioned before, and because they DO still have a glycemic effect on the body (even if it is lower than regular sugar) I do NOT subtract them. My personal opinion - but I would not use them as a comparable IP product.

chenry970
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks so much for your reply!

lisa32989
01-06-2013, 02:15 PM
Bump. Use this thread to discuss Alternative Products.

AnnaBoBanna
01-06-2013, 02:21 PM
Thanks Lisa! I'm going at it with alternatives this time around.

BarbMomof3
01-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Hi everyone. I am so excited to be here. 3 Fat Chicks is the best!!!
I am laid off right now, so I am doing some alternatives.

Are there any alternative protein packs like the potato puree? I love Rainbow's recipes--she rocks!

Thanks for being such a great support! I hope to be able to do the same support for someone else someday!!!

lisa32989
01-06-2013, 02:31 PM
From what I understand, IP is the only place to get the potato puree. But so many other items are available as alternative

If you are doing only alt, you can get IP products at http://www.plainprotein.com/ or http://www.dietnomoreonline.com/default.aspx for IP products

BarbMomof3
01-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Thanks! Do you know if it's resticted? It has 7 carbs....

DJ72
01-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I would like to thank each and every one of you who has posted on this thread. I too am doing the Alternative plan and just started. This is my 5 th day on the plan. I am starving at time so I run and drink water. I miss my red wine at night like crazy... And that kind of scares me because I did not realize how much of a habit it had become. I quit smoking in 2002 and I miss the wine as much as I did my smokes. Luckily for me it was easy to quit! I am all for this alternative plan as it is very affordable and I live in the country and travelling to see a coach is not an option. I can hold myself accountable!
Thanks again everybody.

WingnutandMe
01-06-2013, 03:19 PM
Thanks! Do you know if it's resticted? It has 7 carbs....

No, restricted is more than 8 carbs.

Molly

WingnutandMe
01-06-2013, 03:27 PM
I would like to thank each and every one of you who has posted on this thread. I too am doing the Alternative plan and just started. This is my 5 th day on the plan. I am starving at time so I run and drink water. I miss my red wine at night like crazy... And that kind of scares me because I did not realize how much of a habit it had become. I quit smoking in 2002 and I miss the wine as much as I did my smokes. Luckily for me it was easy to quit! I am all for this alternative plan as it is very affordable and I live in the country and travelling to see a coach is not an option. I can hold myself accountable!
Thanks again everybody.

You can do it. I was on IP for 3 months, but problems with my coach caused me to go on my own. That was 9 months and 70.4 pounds ago. Read the alternative threads and ask questions. We're here to support each other.

As for wine, it's not exactly the same, but read what Rainbow's done, http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/261885-mixn-kitchn-recipes-rainbow-16.html#post4459888

Molly

Psycht
01-06-2013, 04:09 PM
Hi All!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well. This is my first weekend on IP (using alternatives) and while it has been difficult, I am proud to say I stayed on program! I had to go to Costco and just avoided looking at all the samples:)

I have a couple of product questions that I did a search on but did not come up with any answers.

Spiru-tein shakes - http://www.spiru-tein.com/products/productDetail.php?id=45912 - are they kosher? I have a feeling the carb count is too high....

Salmon Jerky - I wondered if I could eat an ounce of this at lunch once and a while and then just have one ounce less of meat/fish in the evening.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give me :)

scorbett1103
01-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Hi All!

Hope everyone's weekend is going well. This is my first weekend on IP (using alternatives) and while it has been difficult, I am proud to say I stayed on program! I had to go to Costco and just avoided looking at all the samples:)

I have a couple of product questions that I did a search on but did not come up with any answers.

Spiru-tein shakes - http://www.spiru-tein.com/products/productDetail.php?id=45912 - are they kosher? I have a feeling the carb count is too high....

Salmon Jerky - I wondered if I could eat an ounce of this at lunch once and a while and then just have one ounce less of meat/fish in the evening.

Thanks for any assistance that you can give me :)

RE: Spiru-tein - the carb count (11g net carbs) would make it a restricted item. The protein count is a little low (14g) but not totally out of range. You would have to mix it with water, and if it is meant to be mixed with milk you may find the flavor a little weak. If you don't like the bars or snack food this would be OK as your once-per-day restricted item, but personally I prefer my restricteds to feel like a little indulgence :)

RE: salmon jerky, it all depends on how it is prepared. Many commercial jerky products use sugar to cure the meat, and that is not IP compatible. I looked up the Alaska's Best original recipe salmon jerky, that one looked OK (0 carbs, a little on the high end in fat but not unacceptable). And just be aware of the high sodium content of jerky, drink extra water and try to avoid using soup or chili packets the same day, they are also higher in sodium.

Psycht
01-06-2013, 04:47 PM
Thanks SCORBETT!

The jerky I have came from Natural Grocers and here is the nutritional on it:

Calories: 80
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 320 mg
Carb: 2g
Protein: 16g

Phase 1 says to only have wild salmon once a week. I would assume that would be 7 ounces of wild salmon. If I was to have say one ounce of salmon jerky for lunch and than say 4 ounces of chicken for dinner, would I have to limit myself to the jerky only once a week in your opinion?

scorbett1103
01-06-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks SCORBETT!

The jerky I have came from Natural Grocers and here is the nutritional on it:

Calories: 80
Fat: 1g
Sodium: 320 mg
Carb: 2g
Protein: 16g

Phase 1 says to only have wild salmon once a week. I would assume that would be 7 ounces of wild salmon. If I was to have say one ounce of salmon jerky for lunch and than say 4 ounces of chicken for dinner, would I have to limit myself to the jerky only once a week in your opinion?

The carbs in that brand tell me it is cured with sugar, which means it is a no-go on phase 1. If you can find one of the brands that have no carbs, use that. Also remember that the ounces of meat are meant to be raw, which includes all the water that is depleted when you make jerky. 1oz of jerky meat is likely a lot closer to 2-3oz of whole meat. And because of the high sodium content (more than the once per week salmon restriction, which I believe is because salmon is a fattier fish) I would still limit using it to once or twice a week.

Psycht
01-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Darn! Ah well, it was worth a try. Thanks for your insight SCorbett :-)

BarbMomof3
01-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Thanks Molly! 8 Carbs is restricted, got it!

Determinedat47
01-06-2013, 07:39 PM
There's nothing wrong with garlic when you are talking about using a couple of cloves in a recipe that serves a few people, the concentration is small enough that it counts just as a seasoning/spice.

Wow- I would love to meet a person who would eat a whole cup of garlic!doubt that anyone does that so no problem.

Fishette
01-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Wow- I would love to meet a person who would eat a whole cup of garlic!doubt that anyone does that so no problem.

I had dinner once in a town outside of Frankfurt, Germany, that was considered the garlic capital of the world. Everything they served had garlic in it and on it. They even served garlic schnapps!

lboogs311
01-07-2013, 11:08 AM
Hey everyone...I am getting back at it with alternative products. I am a shake and bar only girl, so I do 2 shakes using 1 scoop of body fortress advanced whey protein and then 1 bar-pure protein...either choc/choc or choc/peanut butter. I had great success with this! I have a question though, I can't find my original paperwork from IP where my coach told me the amount (mg) of vitamins to get. I know a multivitamin, but not sure the amounts of the others (it's been a while). Any help would be appreciated or if you could list the exact ones you take so I can just get those, I would appreciate it!
Thank you!

healthyangie
01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Good morning everyone!

So on day 6 of using alternatives this time around. My plan had always been to come back to the diet in January and lose a few more - this time DH has joined me! He wants to lose about 50 and after a week and dropping 10 lbs already - he's on his way!

I'm mixing regular IP products with alternatives this time and I'm not sure if my slow to lose on the first week is me messing up with the alternatives or because it's the "last 10" issue. I've only lost 2 lbs in 6 days - have a sinus infection and on antibiotics - maybe that's it?????

I'm using mostly the proti-diet and proti-thin from nashua. Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the syntrax shakes! I did notice the smoothies had aspartame (after already making 2 of them!) so they're out the door but I thought I did good on other foods.

I'm surprised I can have the oatmeal (only 5 grams ...) they're really good!

Anyone else really slow to lose that first week? Either because of being sick or the alternatives?

AliKay
01-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Just got my email from Nashua and ProtiDiet is on special this week. Enter PD10 at checkout for 10% off.

*Restrictions Apply - no quantity discount
Cannot be combined with any other offer
Offer valid until Sunday, January 13th at 11:59 PM EST.

ragdoll74
01-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Hey everyone...I am getting back at it with alternative products. I am a shake and bar only girl, so I do 2 shakes using 1 scoop of body fortress advanced whey protein and then 1 bar-pure protein...either choc/choc or choc/peanut butter. I had great success with this! I have a question though, I can't find my original paperwork from IP where my coach told me the amount (mg) of vitamins to get. I know a multivitamin, but not sure the amounts of the others (it's been a while). Any help would be appreciated or if you could list the exact ones you take so I can just get those, I would appreciate it!
Thank you!

You can get the actual IP vitamins on plainprotein.com. I never found an alternative that was as good as the IP one's.

Good morning everyone!

So on day 6 of using alternatives this time around. My plan had always been to come back to the diet in January and lose a few more - this time DH has joined me! He wants to lose about 50 and after a week and dropping 10 lbs already - he's on his way!

I'm mixing regular IP products with alternatives this time and I'm not sure if my slow to lose on the first week is me messing up with the alternatives or because it's the "last 10" issue. I've only lost 2 lbs in 6 days - have a sinus infection and on antibiotics - maybe that's it?????

I'm using mostly the proti-diet and proti-thin from nashua. Oh and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the syntrax shakes! I did notice the smoothies had aspartame (after already making 2 of them!) so they're out the door but I thought I did good on other foods.

I'm surprised I can have the oatmeal (only 5 grams ...) they're really good!

Anyone else really slow to lose that first week? Either because of being sick or the alternatives?

Welcome back to phase 1...I've seen other people post that the first week of a restart isn't as big of a loss as when they IP the first time. That sinus infection probably isnt helping either. 2 lbs is fantastic considering you only want to lose 10.

FYI...You have to be careful with supplements and antibiotics. Some of them have a reaction with it, so you aren't getting the full effects of the antibiotics. Make sure you read the warnings that came with the antibiotics. I can't remember if it was the pottasium or magnesium. There is a thread on 3FC's about antibiotics and IP vitamins/supplements with the details.

lboogs311
01-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Thank you Ragdoll!

healthyangie
01-07-2013, 01:06 PM
You can get the actual IP vitamins on plainprotein.com. I never found an alternative that was as good as the IP one's.

Welcome back to phase 1...I've seen other people post that the first week of a restart isn't as big of a loss as when they IP the first time. That sinus infection probably isnt helping either. 2 lbs is fantastic considering you only want to lose 10.

FYI...You have to be careful with supplements and antibiotics. Some of them have a reaction with it, so you aren't getting the full effects of the antibiotics. Make sure you read the warnings that came with the antibiotics. I can't remember if it was the pottasium or magnesium. There is a thread on 3FC's about antibiotics and IP vitamins/supplements with the details.

The antibiotic they put me doesn't allow for magnesium within 4 hours of dosing so I'm being careful with that. I'll have to dig up that thread and read more.
And I would be happy with those 2 lbs if they weren't part of the 3 I gained over the holidays :)

Beck81
01-07-2013, 01:47 PM
Bought some new bars from Sam's club yesterday. New from Pure Protein, soft baked protein bar and they come in two flavors, double chocolate vanilla crunch and dbl chocolate peanut butter crunch. I had the pb one and my DH had the other and they were very good. 190 cals, 8g fat, 14g carbs, 1 g fiber and 4g sugar alcohol. Restricted but good!

scorbett1103
01-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Thank you!

I have done a LOT of research on the vitamins. You really are better off sticking with the IP vitamins (I have used alternative products for the last 13 weeks, but have never found TRULY comparable supplements to the 3 main IP versions). The thing is, you can't just look at the dosing (mg) - you also have to pay close attention to the FORM of the nutrient. 100mg of potassium gluconate is NOT the same thing as 100mg of potassium carbonate, for example. The IP supplements use forms of the nutrients that are extremely easy for the body to absorb and gentle on your system to process, which IS important especially when you're putting your body through a very restrictive diet regimen. I have been ordering the IP supplements from www.plainprotein.com - they ship free and fast.

You answered your own question :)

When the body is sick, it is inflamed. Inflammation causes water retention, which shows up on the scale. Patience, grasshopper, it will come off. Feel better and drink PLENTY of water!!!

healthyangie
01-07-2013, 02:07 PM
You answered your own question :)

When the body is sick, it is inflamed. Inflammation causes water retention, which shows up on the scale. Patience, grasshopper, it will come off. Feel better and drink PLENTY of water!!!

:sumo: Yes Master :D

I did just research some other threads and I guess I also screwed up by taking my cal-mags! No wonder the other antibiotics didn't work. I took a multi this morning with my new antibiotics (Avelox) but I'm going to stop the cal-mags and potassium until I'm done with these. I'm worried about stopping the potassium ... maybe I'll take those at night.

Haven't been on in awhile - love the new pic!!!!!

scorbett1103
01-07-2013, 02:21 PM
:sumo: Yes Master :D

I did just research some other threads and I guess I also screwed up by taking my cal-mags! No wonder the other antibiotics didn't work. I took a multi this morning with my new antibiotics (Avelox) but I'm going to stop the cal-mags and potassium until I'm done with these. I'm worried about stopping the potassium ... maybe I'll take those at night.

Haven't been on in awhile - love the new pic!!!!!

Thanks! It's from the night of my 20th high school reunion over Thanksgiving :)

And yes, calcium, magnesium and potassium can all interfere with the absorption of antibiotics - you are usually safe if you leave a 2-4 hour window between the antibiotic and the supplement, but if it's a short course there's nothing wrong with holding off on those supplements for a few days while you let the meds do their magic :)

healthyangie
01-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks! It's from the night of my 20th high school reunion over Thanksgiving :)

And yes, calcium, magnesium and potassium can all interfere with the absorption of antibiotics - you are usually safe if you leave a 2-4 hour window between the antibiotic and the supplement, but if it's a short course there's nothing wrong with holding off on those supplements for a few days while you let the meds do their magic :)

How cool to go to a reunion looking so great :o !

I'm on the Avelox for 10 days, so I'll just skip the cal-mags for all 10 days and the potassium for the next 3 and then take that only at night since I'm taking the Avelox in the AM. I had no idea the interaction! No wonder the other antibiotics didn't work ... :(

Now I just have to stay OP while the scale in NOT going down, knowing it's just inflammation and I will catch up.

Thanks so much for the info! You're a god-send!

lisa32989
01-14-2013, 08:54 AM
Bumping this thread for new folks.

This is the thread to discuss alternative products

rissimo
01-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Okay IPeeps,
I have done the Alternatives list, but for some reason it will not upload. I will try working on getting it on here this evening when I am home.

Patty17
01-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Happy New Year! Starting over today using Alternatives! IP and alternatives worked great for me, unfortunately the last 6 months of 2012 did me in; Summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas etc. Back in the mind set again, just have to figure out changing my profile!

healthyangie
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Bumping - and just saying that I am LOVING these Syntrax Nectars!

Put a little alcohol free orange extract in a vanilla bean and BAM - orange creamsicle!

They don't work well in the blender though - you get that frothy stuff .... and then burp like a mad woman after drinking it :D

staceyjblack
01-15-2013, 11:08 AM
Has anyone tried the Proti-Thin Protein Pasta - Fusilli???

Serving Size: 1 Packet Servings Per Container: 7
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 15
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 300mg
Potassium 135mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 0g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 20g

WingnutandMe
01-15-2013, 12:12 PM
Has anyone tried the Proti-Thin Protein Pasta - Fusilli???

Serving Size: 1 Packet Servings Per Container: 7
Amount Per Serving
Calories 130 Calories from Fat 15
Total Fat 2g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 300mg
Potassium 135mg
Total Carbohydrate 7g
Dietary Fiber 2g
Sugars 0g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 20g

Have had a packet. It's like whole wheat pasta, a little more dense than regular. I used it like a pasta salad that time. I will definitely have it again, but I wasn't much of a pasta person to start with, so it's not a very often thing for me.

Molly

BarbMomof3
01-15-2013, 03:46 PM
Hi Alternative Friends. I just wanted to say that I ordered the pb & brownie ChocoRite shakes and I LOVE THEM BOTH!! I only use 1.5 scoop instead of 2. I really miss pb. Walden Farms Pb is the grossest thing ever!!!!! Anyways, just wanted to share.

Barb

IdealProteinNewbie
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
Just tried Weight Loss Systems Creamy Cheesecake Pudding, soooo good!!!

It wasn't in the database for myfitnesspal, but it is now!!!

staceyjblack
01-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Have had a packet. It's like whole wheat pasta, a little more dense than regular. I used it like a pasta salad that time. I will definitely have it again, but I wasn't much of a pasta person to start with, so it's not a very often thing for me.

Molly

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'm going to order a box and give it a try :)

healthyangie
01-15-2013, 04:22 PM
So I'm on Nashua's site, ordering that cheesecake pudding!!! I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the carb blockers?

rainbowsmiles
01-15-2013, 04:37 PM
Just tried Weight Loss Systems Creamy Cheesecake Pudding, soooo good!!!

oooo wait til you try it with some sf syrups!!

black cherry cheesecake pudding....key lime cheesecake pudding....yum!!!!

IdealProteinNewbie
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Yes, and I plan to crush up 2 chocolate soy puffs a la Rainbow!!!

rainbowsmiles
01-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Yes, and I plan to crush up 2 chocolate soy puffs a la Rainbow!!!

hahaha CUTE!!! very cute!!!:D:D:hug:

healthyangie
01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
hahaha CUTE!!! very cute!!!:D:D:hug:

Hey I spotted a beautiful Rainbow :) !!

Haven't posted with you in ages!!! Hope all is well - I love the new pic, you should have devil horns on with those goggles :D

Just wanted to let you know you've been a savior to my DH now. I'm back on P1 to lose a few more and he joined me this time. He's down 20 lbs in 2 weeks! He really isn't a "diet" food eater so I've been making him some of your recipes.

Very funny moment - I caught him in the kitchen on him iPad when I got home one day. I said "What ya doin?" after I saw a webpage up that was for homosexuals. He said - "I'm trying to find this d@mn Rainbow Recipes page you keep talking about and I can't!"

:rofl: I've filled him in on WHO the infamous Rainbow Smiles is!

rainbowsmiles
01-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey I spotted a beautiful Rainbow :) !!

Haven't posted with you in ages!!! Hope all is well - I love the new pic, you should have devil horns on with those goggles :D

Just wanted to let you know you've been a savior to my DH now. I'm back on P1 to lose a few more and he joined me this time. He's down 20 lbs in 2 weeks! He really isn't a "diet" food eater so I've been making him some of your recipes.

Very funny moment - I caught him in the kitchen on him iPad when I got home one day. I said "What ya doin?" after I saw a webpage up that was for homosexuals. He said - "I'm trying to find this d@mn Rainbow Recipes page you keep talking about and I can't!"

:rofl: I've filled him in on WHO the infamous Rainbow Smiles is!

oooooo sweet angie....i was smiling and reading along and then SPIT MY TEA OUT....hahahahaha that is hilarious!!! give your dh a big hug from me!! maybe i need to change my name!!! hahahahaha

healthyangie
01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
oooooo sweet angie....i was smiling and reading along and then SPIT MY TEA OUT....hahahahaha that is hilarious!!! give your dh a big hug from me!! maybe i need to change my name!!! hahahahaha

RainbowSmiles fits you perfectly! It just has to be in the right context ;) Sorry about making you waste perfectly good tea :D

SassyGirl424
01-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Anyone try these Chocolate crunchies from Nashua?

https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/weight-loss-systems-snack-milk-chocolate-crunchies-7-box.html

I'm looking for some options for my nighttime snack.

Also wondering about the white cheddar crisps?

https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/protidiet-protein-crisps-white-cheddar-7-box.html

TIA!

WingnutandMe
01-15-2013, 09:44 PM

https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/weight-loss-systems-snack-milk-chocolate-crunchies-7-box.html

https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/protidiet-protein-crisps-white-cheddar-7-box.html

TIA!

I have had the white cheddar crisps. I liked them. They could be a problem, so I keep them back in a corner most of the time.

Molly

Keish
01-16-2013, 12:19 AM
HEy everyone!! after losing 15 lbs on IP i am now also jumping ship as i could not afford. I was just wondering if there anyone in canada who knows where to get the supplies other than ordering them online? I realized a lot of the products the people are using are in the states only and need to be ordered. I was hoping just to go into a store and pick up the products. I am not picky. If anyone can help i would really really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Keish

djs06
01-16-2013, 12:26 AM

TIA!

I love the chocolate crunches!

Keish
01-16-2013, 12:28 AM
PS. All I am really looking for is just the shakes and bars. :)

Keish
01-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Also. What does RTD stand for?

IdealProteinNewbie
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Also. What does RTD stand for?

Ready To Drink

IdealProteinNewbie
01-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Weight Loss Systems Creamy Cheesecake Pudding: Heaven!!! Tastes like the filling of a cheesecake with the same texture, amazing!!! Definitely re-ordering.

Weight Loss Systems Toffee Creme Pudding: Good flavor but more of a custard texture than actual pudding. Still good though.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is that they both have a few grams less protein than IP puddings. Also, it is a significantly smaller portion.

scorbett1103
01-16-2013, 05:35 PM
Weight Loss Systems Creamy Cheesecake Pudding: Heaven!!! Tastes like the filling of a cheesecake with the same texture, amazing!!! Definitely re-ordering.

Weight Loss Systems Toffee Creme Pudding: Good flavor but more of a custard texture than actual pudding. Still good though.

One thing I'm not thrilled about is that they both have a few grams less protein than IP puddings. Also, it is a significantly smaller portion.

The protein content is true of just about all alternatives, with the exception of some of the protein shakes. All I do to compensate is have an egg for a snack, that usually covers the difference if I'm a little under on my protein :)

loopers
01-16-2013, 05:37 PM
Well, it's been a day and a half. Hubby was starting a new job and was on his way to making great money - and we found out the regional manager who hired him didn't do his job aaaaaannnndddd.... now hubby is unemployed in 2 weeks time. 2 weeks from today, or two weeks from Monday past, we have yet to find out. Jerk.

Anyway, since this means a waiting period for his unemployment cheques, and already being stretched thin, I have to either quit IP or switch to alternatives until things get better.

So, I have decided to order the EAS Advantage shakes online since the closest WalMart is 3 hours away... any Canadians that order from lowcarbgrocery.com? What do you use for snacks? Are the Advantage bars any good? I don't want to buy a huge box and end up having to choke them down...

Pretty discouraged here today, but I am determined to carry on! Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, ladies and gents!

Keish
01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Hi everyone,
Just one final question or a few i should say. I am ordering from the low carb website. I will be ordering the Syntrax Nectar shakes as my two shakes. However for a snake since they dont have pure protein on that website can i order NUGO, CHOCORITE, or OHYEAH?? I would really appreciate the help as i would like to put in an order tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kee

patns
01-17-2013, 01:34 AM
I found the easiest way to start with alternatives in Canada was with proteinwell.ca The protiwell and protidiet things are very compatible to IP products.

I also order from the lowcarb grocery but found it harder to compare their products to Ip.
You don't say where you live but if you have a Dr B clinic nearby their RTD drinks are the same as IP and the bars also but at a fraction of the price.

Premier Nutrition drinks and Detour bars at Costco are also good.

loopers
01-17-2013, 07:05 AM
I found the easiest way to start with alternatives in Canada was with proteinwell.ca The protiwell and protidiet things are very compatible to IP products.

I also order from the lowcarb grocery but found it harder to compare their products to Ip.
You don't say where you live but if you have a Dr B clinic nearby their RTD drinks are the same as IP and the bars also but at a fraction of the price.

Premier Nutrition drinks and Detour bars at Costco are also good.

Thanks for the advice, patns; Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere - not even a Walmart! I looked at a bottle of Weider protein powder that I have, and it would *probably* be ok, but I'd rather start with something tried and true.

I looked at proteinwell.ca, and also lowcarbgrocery. I think what I'll do is order packs of the EAS advantage shakes for now, stock up for about a month's worth, and then maybe in a couple of weeks order from proteinwell - the pizza is screaming my name :D

Have a great day everyone!

Chloe222
01-17-2013, 07:37 AM
So I'm on Nashua's site, ordering that cheesecake pudding!!! I was wondering if anyone has tried any of the carb blockers?

Funny story about your husband and Raiunbow!!

Re carb blockers, I bought Natrol's Carb Interceptor but haven't used it yet. Looks like a potential maintenance product. There are lots of reviews on Amazon for this product, I read all of them, was intrigued.

Re buying alternatives in Canada, can you purchase from www.netrition.com? (http://www.netrition.com?) I live in the US and it's a site I use often however, I think my Canadian friends also use that site. Think about getting the Da Vinci syrups, you can buy the black cherry syrup from them and turn your cheesecake pudding into the bl cherry cheesecake pudding Rainbow mentioned above. They have so many flavors, you'll think you died and went to heaven. Really. I also buy my Syntrax Nector protein powder from them. I buy my Carbquik there too, it's a low carb Bisquick powder, use it the same way. Be sure to add an egg white to whatever you make or just add that egg/egg white to another meal to make sure you get all the protein you need.

SassyGirl424
01-17-2013, 01:01 PM
Re buying alternatives in Canada, can you purchase from www.netrition.com? (http://www.netrition.com?) I live in the US and it's a site I use often however, I think my Canadian friends also use that site. Think about getting the Da Vinci syrups ...I also buy my Syntrax Nector protein powder from them. I buy my Carbquik there too...

Are there any good snacks (like chips or crisps) on netrition that are viable IP alternatives? What else does anyone order from there? I visited the web site and find it overwhelming to figure out what to look at! Love the idea of the Carbquik - thanks for sharing.

TIA!

Keish
01-17-2013, 05:47 PM
I just checked out proteinwell.ca. They dont have the shakes available there. So i was wanting to order from low carb website. I will be ordering the Syntrax Nectar shakes as my two shakes. However for a snake since they dont have pure protein on that website can i order NUGO, CHOCORITE, or OHYEAH?? I would really appreciate the help as i would like to put in an order today.

Also for the proti diet ones is there any bars that are off limites?? Again thank you for all your help!

Keish
01-17-2013, 05:49 PM
Also for the bars is 15 carbs a lot?

scorbett1103
01-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Also for the bars is 15 carbs a lot?

When you are looking at the carbs, make sure you are subtracting the Dietary Fiber (we don't digest that so it doesn't "count" in the diet). The number you end up with is your NET carbs.

Anything 8 NET carbs or less is an unrestricted item

Anything 9 NET carbs up to about 15 NET carbs is restricted (once per day only)

Anything above that up to about 17 NET carbs is super-restricted (twice per week)

Over that is a bit too many carbs for IP.

Keish
01-17-2013, 10:45 PM
Thank youuu so much for that information!!! I am going to order my supply of shakes and bar now!!

SpittenImage
01-18-2013, 05:35 PM
So excited!!!! I just placed my first order to Nashua! I've been using just the EAS Strawberry and chocolate drinks and pure protein bars (pnut butter and the cookie one), but I only last a week or so then I fall off and gain whatever I lost. I need more variety...so here's to being 100% OP Alternative....

Here's what I ordered today:
Nashua Nutrition choco soy puffs
Weight Loss Systems choco chip pudding w/marshmellows
Protidiet liquid concentrate grape
Healthsmart Cinnamon cereal
Protithin Vanilla Peanut bar
Just 1 serving sample of Syntrax Nectar Apple Ecstasy...
Protidiet Cheesecake pudding (as a last minute add-in)

I compiled my order based on reviews I've read in all the alternative IP items threads. Although I know tastes vary, I do hope everything is as delicious as everyone says. *fingers crossed* I placed my order today after 1pm AND on a weekend, and if it takes the 5-7 business days for real, then I probably won't get it until way next week, maybe even last week of January. Anywhooo, still super pumped!!!

markhenry
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
I've waded through half the pages thus far but am still looking for some info. I use almost exclusivley the following products from IP:
Choco drink mix powder
Mango premix drink
Herb omlette
Strawberry wafer
Peanut Butter Choco bars/ Double Choco bars
shiritaki noodles

I've read a bunch about the EAS shakes, I have a Wal-Mart and Sams club where I live, what powders or premix can I sub for some of these items?

SpittenImage
01-18-2013, 06:08 PM
I've waded through half the pages thus far but am still looking for some info. I use almost exclusivley the following products from IP:
Choco drink mix powder
Mango premix drink
Herb omlette
Strawberry wafer
Peanut Butter Choco bars/ Double Choco bars
shiritaki noodles

I've read a bunch about the EAS shakes, I have a Wal-Mart and Sams club where I live, what powders or premix can I sub for some of these items?

From Walmart, I buy the EAS CarbAdvantage Strawberry Creme and EAS CarbAdvantage Chocolate. A 4 pk is $4.95, I read somewhere that Costo sells them in bigger bulk for $30 but not real sure. The Strawberry is good, thinner than IP Mango RTD, but to me, just as good, specially blended with ice, makes it taste like Strawberry creme drink from starbucks.

I recommend skipping IP Herb Omelette, its cheaper to use egg whites and add in your own veggies - viola, you have herb omelette.

For peanut butter bar craving, Pure Protein Chocolate peanut butter bars are good (at walmart too).

DJ72
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
Proteinwell is where I buy a lot of my stuff from. And Walmart.., I live in Canada!

markhenry
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
So the Pure Protein bars are comparable to IP ones?

scorbett1103
01-18-2013, 06:37 PM
So the Pure Protein bars are comparable to IP ones?

Not all of them. Whenever you are looking at buying alternatives, you have to check the nutritional information on EVERYTHING. I have posted here a few times what the guidelines are:

under 200 calories per serving

less than 30% total calories from fat (take the calories from fat, multiply by 3 - if it's lower than the total calories you're fine)

Less than 17g NET carbs (subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs)
8g or less NET carbs = unrestricted
9g to 15g NET carbs = restricted (once per day only)
15g to 17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice a week only)

at least 12g protein

markhenry
01-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Ok I compared the PP choco/pb bars to IP choco/pb and they are very similar, IP has 150 calories as opposed to 190 w/PP. PP has 16g of carbs as opposed to 17g with IP. IP has 7g of sugar, PP has 2g. PP has 20g of protein, IP has 15g. Not a bad match up. Oh yeah, most importantly- IP bars are $30 for 7 as opposed to $6.27 for 6 @ Wal Mart.

LosingLawyer
01-18-2013, 07:23 PM
Ok I compared the PP choco/pb bars to IP choco/pb and they are very similar, IP has 150 calories as opposed to 190 w/PP. PP has 16g of carbs as opposed to 17g with IP. IP has 7g of sugar, PP has 2g. PP has 20g of protein, IP has 15g. Not a bad match up. Oh yeah, most importantly- IP bars are $30 for 7 as opposed to $6.27 for 6 @ Wal Mart.

The chocolate peanut butter pure protein bars are the only ones I use. I've found most of the other flavors are a lot higher in carbs. I used them A LOT in the beginning, but now I use other bars (some from Nashua, Simply Bars, etc.).

SassyGirl424
01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
So excited!!!! I just placed my first order to Nashua! I've been using just the EAS Strawberry and chocolate drinks and pure protein bars (pnut butter and the cookie one), but I only last a week or so then I fall off and gain whatever I lost. I need more variety...so here's to being 100% OP Alternative....

Here's what I ordered today:
Nashua Nutrition choco soy puffs
Weight Loss Systems choco chip pudding w/marshmellows
Protidiet liquid concentrate grape
Healthsmart Cinnamon cereal
Protithin Vanilla Peanut bar
Just 1 serving sample of Syntrax Nectar Apple Ecstasy...
Protidiet Cheesecake pudding (as a last minute add-in)

You ordered a lot of things that I've tried.
Love the choc soy puffs. Cinnamon cereal is a good one for me, too.

I make the pudding into bark (recipe here) -- and like it.

Curious if you like the grape drink - I find it has an aftertaste that doesn't agree with my palate.

Also curious if you like the Syntrax - I picked up 3 flavors, made them following instructions here, and found them to be very thin and watery. I like the drinks to be a little thicker, though --

Hope your order arrives quickly!

Bellamack
01-19-2013, 11:05 AM
I like the chocolate soy puffs too and I really like the cheesecake (seems to be either a Love or Hate), but the cheesecake makes me feel like I am eating something really good, put just a dab of WF caramel dip on top, mmm. The caramel dip from WF is the only product by them that I can stomach at all. Too much of a chemical taste for me. I also like the HealthSmart Peanut Butter and Jelly bars, but only occasionally :)

staceyjblack
01-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Proti-Thin Chili Lime Soy snacks.

Are these restricted?

Amount Per Serving
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 30
Total Fat 3.5g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 360mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 3g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 15g

scorbett1103
01-19-2013, 03:46 PM
less than 30% calories from fat (30 X 3 = 90)
8g carbs

These are unrestricted.

Proti-Thin Chili Lime Soy snacks.

Are these restricted?

Amount Per Serving
Calories 120 Calories from Fat 30
Total Fat 3.5g
Saturated Fat 0g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg
Sodium 360mg
Potassium 90mg
Total Carbohydrate 8g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Sugars 3g
Sugar Alcohol 0g
Protein 15g

staceyjblack
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
less than 30% calories from fat (30 X 3 = 90)
8g carbs

These are unrestricted.

AWESOME. Thanks!

SpittenImage
01-21-2013, 12:58 PM
You ordered a lot of things that I've tried.
Love the choc soy puffs. Cinnamon cereal is a good one for me, too.

I make the pudding into bark (recipe here) -- and like it.

Curious if you like the grape drink - I find it has an aftertaste that doesn't agree with my palate.

Also curious if you like the Syntrax - I picked up 3 flavors, made them following instructions here, and found them to be very thin and watery. I like the drinks to be a little thicker, though --

Hope your order arrives quickly!

Hey Sassy! Was there a link along with your reply? Or is the bark recipe on the alternatives thread somewhere? I got the grape drink mostly because I heard it had a good enough grapey flavor but it also was similar to IP's cranberry/pomegranate drink mix in regard to collagen, bone and tendon benefits, etc.

I heard Syntrax can be a little watery, but I miss fruits and figure this will satisfy that fruit juice craving -- any other suggestions?

LosingLawyer
01-21-2013, 02:42 PM
I heard Syntrax can be a little watery, but I miss fruits and figure this will satisfy that fruit juice craving -- any other suggestions?

I agree that the Syntrax is watery - I'm used to the EAS shakes which are a lot thicker. I really like the Syntrax Nectar Fuzzy Navel and will be buying a jug of that because it tastes like juice. I also really like the vanilla flavor, but I'm just not sure if I can get over the thinness of it. I'm looking forward to trying some of the other fruit flavors, and the cappuccino.

petchef
01-21-2013, 05:40 PM
I just bought two boxes of NuGo Slim Bars at Costco. The NuGo rep is at my local Costco once a month. Boxes were $16.99. I liked both flavors -- not too sweet, which I prefer. No maltitol or artifical sweeteners. They do have 2 g sugar.

NuGo Slim Brownie Crunch
190 calories, 50 from fat
16 g protein
19 g carbs
7 g fiber (=12 g NET carbs)
6 g fat

NuGo Slim Roasted Peanut
190 calories, 50 from fat
15 g protein
19 g carbs
7 g fiber (=12 g NET carbs)
6 g fat

staceyjblack
01-21-2013, 08:15 PM
Just placed and order for:

Proti-Thin Protein Pasta - Fusill
Proti-Thin Snack - Chocolate Covered Soy Snacks
Proti-Thin Soup - Broc N Cheese
ProtiDiet Dessert - Chocolate Fudge Cake <--- Just saw this has Malitol so i'll prob save it for maintanence
Weight Loss Systems Pudding & Shake - Chocolate Cream

Never had the pasta, fudge cake or plain chocolate shake so I am excited to try them all out :)

scorbett1103
01-21-2013, 08:21 PM
Just placed and order for:

Proti-Thin Protein Pasta - Fusill
Proti-Thin Snack - Chocolate Covered Soy Snacks
Proti-Thin Soup - Broc N Cheese
ProtiDiet Dessert - Chocolate Fudge Cake <--- Just saw this has Malitol so i'll prob save it for maintanence
Weight Loss Systems Pudding & Shake - Chocolate Cream

Never had the pasta, fudge cake or plain chocolate shake so I am excited to try them all out :)

I really like the chocolate cream as a pudding - sometimes I'll spread a teaspoon or two of the Walden Farms Peanut spread over the top, it's a pseudo-Reeses treat!

staceyjblack
01-21-2013, 08:31 PM
I really like the chocolate cream as a pudding - sometimes I'll spread a teaspoon or two of the Walden Farms Peanut spread over the top, it's a pseudo-Reeses treat!

OOOh- great idea! Thanks for sharing :)

chenry970
01-21-2013, 10:22 PM
I noticed today that Wal-Mart has come out with their own brand of protein bars called "Life Choice". They are currently advertised for $3.68 for a box of 5. Could someone tell me if these bars are a good alternative IP bar? What is the formula for a good IP protein replacement bar?

scorbett1103
01-21-2013, 10:28 PM
I noticed today that Wal-Mart has come out with their own brand of protein bars called "Life Choice". They are currently advertised for $3.68 for a box of 5. Could someone tell me if these bars are a good alternative IP bar? What is the formula for a good IP protein replacement bar?

I have posted the guidelines for choosing alternative foods here quite a few times - you won't have to go too far back to find them :)

I checked out all of the Life Choice bars nutritional information - the Protein ones (Double Chocolate, Peanut Butter Extreme, and Chocolate Mint) are all within the right calories, fat, carb and protein count to be used as restricted items.

pocahontas812
01-22-2013, 12:56 PM

The syntrax mixed are watery but I find they work well if mixed as a shake with some spinach in the blender. I had the syntrax matrix mint cookie for breakfast and it was delicious...one of the best (actually, maybe the best!) shakes I've had since on IP!

1/2 C water
1 C ice cubes (not crushed ice)
1 C spinach
1 individual packet or scoop of syntrax matrix mint cookie

leannekarella
01-22-2013, 01:17 PM
I have been using, once a day in place of IP drink product, Syntrax Nectar. The flavors are amazing (there are only a couple I didn't enjoy, but none that were horrible). None of the whey flavor if you use ice cold water.

1 oz mix:

100 calories
0 fat
60 sodium
160 potassium
0 carb
0 sugar
24 protein

Sweetened with sucralose.

leannekarella
01-22-2013, 01:23 PM
1/2 C water
1 C ice cubes (not crushed ice)
1 C spinach
1 individual packet or scoop of syntrax matrix mint cookie

I've read a couple recipes like this. Does the chocolate disguise all spinach flavor? I love spinach in my salads or cooked, I'm just having a mental block to putting it in my shake. I will try it though, if you can't taste it. And you put it in raw, correct?

Thanks

pocahontas812
01-22-2013, 01:41 PM
I've read a couple recipes like this. Does the chocolate disguise all spinach flavor? I love spinach in my salads or cooked, I'm just having a mental block to putting it in my shake. I will try it though, if you can't taste it. And you put it in raw, correct?

Thanks

Absolutely cannot taste it. Yes, goes in raw...and by cup I mean a loosely filled cup, not packed. You will notice a difference in color. The chocolate mixes get a greenish tinge, lighter colored mixes will obviously look quite green. The mint cookie I made this morning looked like the mint shakes McDonald's offers around St. Patrick's day.

karcher
01-24-2013, 06:42 AM
Hi Alternative Friends. I just wanted to say that I ordered the pb & brownie ChocoRite shakes and I LOVE THEM BOTH!! I only use 1.5 scoop instead of 2. I really miss pb. Walden Farms Pb is the grossest thing ever!!!!! Anyways, just wanted to share.

Barb

Hey! Try the PB2 powdered peanut butter... GOOD!!!! You can get it on Amazon or Netrition :)

LoriKay
01-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I can't eat PB2 as peanut butter on toast but I use it all the time on my Phase 3 breakfast in Greek yogurt with microwaved apple & cinnemon.

scorbett1103
01-24-2013, 05:47 PM
Hey! Try the PB2 powdered peanut butter... GOOD!!!! You can get it on Amazon or Netrition :)

PB2 is actually not approved for Phase 1 - but I know many people who use it starting in Phase 3!

SassyGirl424
01-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Hey Sassy! Was there a link along with your reply? Or is the bark recipe on the alternatives thread somewhere? I got the grape drink mostly because I heard it had a good enough grapey flavor but it also was similar to IP's cranberry/pomegranate drink mix in regard to collagen, bone and tendon benefits, etc.

Here's the wording for the bark recipe that I referenced. Hope you found it yourself before now. Sorry I didnn't see your question sooner.

Thanks! I think the Chocolate Bark recipe came from Wuv.
IP chocolate pudding (or any pudding of your choice)
(the next 2 ingredients are not needed if you are not doing the choc pudding)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1tbsp instant coffee (I swapped this for a sprinkle of cinnamon)

2 tsp splenda or stevia
8 oz of water (depending on consistency, could be less)

Shake, pour in aluminum pie plates or place on parchment paper on cookie sheet.
Freeze (30-45min)
Take out of freezer, break chocolate into pieces
Place in container, keep in freezer.

SanB608
01-24-2013, 09:23 PM
You will probably get your order sooner than that. I placed an order yesterday and rec'd notification today that it will be delivered Saturday. That's 3 days total.

staceyjblack
01-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Copied this from the Proti Diet thread!!!!

Nashua Nutrition Discount Code For 3 Fat Chicks Community
Nashua Nutrition would like to offer the 3 Fat Chicks Community a 10% Off Discount Code. Use Discount Code 3FATCHICKS (No Spaces) during checkout to receive 10% off your entire order.

This code will expire on Friday, February 1st 2013 at Midnight EST.

Limit 1 Coupon Use Per Customer. Cannot be combined with other discounts or promotions.

Please feel free to pass along this discount code to other 3 Fat Chicks Community members and/or forum postings.

Thank You,
Nashua Nutrition
www.NashuaNutrition.com

sahmmommy2
02-02-2013, 10:25 AM
I picked up a MegaRed Krill Oil as a replacement for the IP Omega supplement. Having a hard time reading the supplement info on the plain protein website. The MegaRed contains 300 mg krill oil and I think I should take 4 of these per day to equal the IP supplement. Does this sound right?

Thanks for your help!

scorbett1103
02-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Bumping for some of the new folks

AngieBaby41
02-05-2013, 09:43 PM
Not all of them. Whenever you are looking at buying alternatives, you have to check the nutritional information on EVERYTHING. I have posted here a few times what the guidelines are:

under 200 calories per serving

less than 30% total calories from fat (take the calories from fat, multiply by 3 - if it's lower than the total calories you're fine)

Less than 17g NET carbs (subtract Dietary fiber from total carbs)
8g or less NET carbs = unrestricted
9g to 15g NET carbs = restricted (once per day only)
15g to 17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice a week only)

at least 12g protein

are there any other ingredients we should try to avoid? I can't remember and I'm doing some product comparisons tonight. :dizzy:

Oh, and are there any other names it would be listed as?

jlnelson
02-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Hi Guys. I am looking into the HealthSmart Protein Chips in Ranch flavor. Does anyone see a reason why they can't be a restricted snack? I know there are some starches in the ingredients. Is that a no go? https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/healthsmart-protein-chips-ranch-1-bag.html
Thanks!

scorbett1103
02-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Hi Guys. I am looking into the HealthSmart Protein Chips in Ranch flavor. Does anyone see a reason why they can't be a restricted snack? I know there are some starches in the ingredients. Is that a no go? https://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/snacks-and-treats/healthsmart-protein-chips-ranch-1-bag.html
Thanks!

I've looked into these before - the only reason I have avoided them is the low protein content. Compatible products should have at least 12-15g protein in them, the chips only have 10. The ingredients are not as big an issue because even some IP products have starch in them (by using prepackaged foods the amounts of those ingredients are highly controlled).

jlnelson
02-06-2013, 09:59 AM
Okay thanks. I've been craving an easy crunch. Something that I can munch on throughout the afternoon at work. Any suggestions?

scorbett1103
02-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Okay thanks. I've been craving an easy crunch. Something that I can munch on throughout the afternoon at work. Any suggestions?

I've used the HealthSmart protein puffs (cheddar), and the Dill Pickle and BBQ krinkles are fine too,

Chloe222
02-06-2013, 10:40 AM
I just ordered the Unjury Protein'd Cheese sauce. Appears to be phase 1 compliant and the reviews look good. Will report back after I've had it. 1 scoop makes 1/4 c cheese sauce. I've been finding more sites which cater to bariatric patients needs and they have products similar to what we need. I'm not a bariatric patient but find reading some of the info on bariatric focused websites insightful.

Thank you, Purrfect, for finding this and posting it.

Stats:
http://www.unjury.com/store/skin/frontend/default/default/images/proteind/suppfacts.png

scorbett1103
02-06-2013, 11:02 AM
I just ordered the Unjury Protein'd Cheese sauce. Appears to be phase 1 compliant and the reviews look good. Will report back after I've had it. 1 scoop makes 1/4 c cheese sauce. I've been finding more sites which cater to bariatric patients needs and they have products similar to what we need. I'm not a bariatric patient but find reading some of the info on bariatric focused websites insightful.

Thank you, Purrfect, for finding this and posting it.

Stats:

I saw that too - it is definitely compliant with Phase 1, the only thing I would say is that even though the fat and carb content make it technically unrestricted, the calorie count is a little higher than most unrestricteds - this would be a "see how you react" situation - if using it unrestricted works and doesn't affect your losses, great. But for those closer to goal or with less to lose, the extra calories might actually slow things down, so keep an eye on yourself.

Chloe222
02-06-2013, 12:20 PM
I agree that every carb counts more than ever the closer we get to goal. Was thinking I would use this sparingly and ideally try to make it last for 2 meals. In doing that, I would have to watch my protein intake a tad, maybe add an egg white or two, to get the right daily totals.

Chloe222
02-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I am enamored with a breakfast cereal which I eat dry. It is Nutritious Living's Hi-Lo Vanilla Almond cereal, bought from Netrition.com and it really helps me feel full and strong from breakfast till lunch, 5 + hours later. I workout at least 4 mornings a week, so this, along with my casein protein powder used as thick vanilla creamer in my coffee, feels indulgent and not at all like I'm on a reduction protocol.

At this time, I see using this on an ongoing basis, after making goal. A box costs $4.69 and has 9 servings, thus $.52/serving. (Netrition has flat $4.95 S&H in the US and I get a boxful of products whenever I order from them - just purchased 5 boxes of this cereal.) There are days when I use this as my snack as well, eaten dry. BTW, I was never a big cereal fan before - it was OK, not something I craved.

On IP, we have fewer items which are unrestricted, sweet, and crunchy - this fills the bill. Watch your protein intake overall though; this has 12 g protein and 6 net carbs, 2 g fat, 90 calories/serving.

DontGiveUp17
02-07-2013, 04:34 PM
You guys rock at listing alternatives! Can someone critique the Atkins Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Bar, DayBreak? Most of the Atkins bars are too high in fat, but this one seems to be good and tastes just like a butterfinger to me! Here is the info:

Calories 150
Total Fat 7g
Total Carb 14g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugars 1g
Sugar Alcohols 5g
Protein 10g

I think my biggest question is about the sugar alcohol.. does that hurt and help the product? Thanks so much for any info!

scorbett1103
02-07-2013, 04:44 PM
You guys rock at listing alternatives! Can someone critique the Atkins Peanut Butter Fudge Crisp Bar, DayBreak? Most of the Atkins bars are too high in fat, but this one seems to be good and tastes just like a butterfinger to me! Here is the info:

Calories 150
Total Fat 7g
Total Carb 14g
Dietary Fiber 8g
Sugars 1g
Sugar Alcohols 5g
Protein 10g

I think my biggest question is about the sugar alcohol.. does that hurt and help the product? Thanks so much for any info!

Too low in protein. There are many products that contain sugar alcohols, that really isn't the issue. Protein should be at least 12g per serving, shooting for 15g or more.

DontGiveUp17
02-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks Scorbett! I knew you would know!! Thanks for helping me learn how to read these things! I'm still getting used to it all.

scorbett1103
02-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks Scorbett! I knew you would know!! Thanks for helping me learn how to read these things! I'm still getting used to it all.

LOL it's definitely a lot to navigate! You could possibly use it but would have to plan to add extra protein somewhere else in your day - for me, that's more accounting than I want to do in Phase 1...but if you like them that much, you may be able to make adjustments on the days you want them.

clarksgirl
02-07-2013, 05:16 PM
I have gone through the alternative threads a bit... But I was just wondering if there is anyone who has made up a "list" of all of the alternative brand products and weather they are restricted items or not? I am considering starting to buy some of my products from Nashua Nutrition.

scorbett1103
02-07-2013, 05:21 PM
I have gone through the alternative threads a bit... But I was just wondering if there is anyone who has made up a "list" of all of the alternative brand products and weather they are restricted items or not? I am considering starting to buy some of my products from Nashua Nutrition.

I believe a few have tried, but it is a massive amount of information. Alternatives can be found at Nashua Nutrition, Costco, Wal Mart, drugstores and supermarkets, and other sources. Your best bet is to start with the products that have been suggested on the threads, keep the nutritional guidelines handy (I have posted them several times, including the guidelines for restricted vs unrestricted), and then take time to browse and explore.

scorbett1103
02-12-2013, 11:12 AM
bumping up for new folks

FlooNimbus13127
02-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the links and tips for some alternatives. I'm new and really excited about the order I just placed at Nashau Nutrition!

SanB608
02-12-2013, 09:09 PM

Has anyone tried:

If you are on IP and substituting some of the products, you may want to double check. But I think the Weight Loss System puddings have Aspartame. Which is not allowed on IP.

scorbett1103
02-12-2013, 10:15 PM
If you are on IP and substituting some of the products, you may want to double check. But I think the Weight Loss System puddings have Aspartame. Which is not allowed on IP.

Actually....if you are on Nashua Nutrition and click on any of the WLS pudding mixes, there is a drop down box for "Sweetener" - you can choose the "original" or "aspartame free" versions. So they are completely OK for IP :) I buy mine from a local nutrition store and they only carry the aspartame free versions.

SpittenImage
02-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I am super late on this alternative response, but I got my order from Nashua, tried everything including a few samples and I really loved everything (thanks to all you ladies who suggest and recommend - greatly appreciated):

Syntrax nectar Apple Ecstasy – wouldn’t describe it as apple flavor, more like a light fruit juice with a touch of apply. Refreshing alongside breakfast, but not as filling as a standalone drink. (might order single serving again but not a whole jug)

Helathsmart Ceraeal Cinnamon – great, like mock cheerios. Good with a little EAS vanillas as milk, but even better as a standalone treat for snacking. No extra sweetener needed. (will reorder)

Protidiet Liquid Concentrate Grape Drink – was highly recommended on this board – all the hype is true. I love it! Tastes like jello flavored koolaid, really easy to mix because its like syrup in a little packet and I can take it anywhere (will definitely reorder).

Protithin Choco covered soy snacks & Protithin Vanilla Peanut Bar – both are same as IP, thanks all for the recommendations. (will definitely reorder).

WLS Choco chip pudding with Marshmallow – recommended here, and to me way better than IP. Has real pudding consistency, chocolate deliciousness and little choco pieces and marshmellow pieces make it a real treat. (will definitely reorder – going to order the Cocomint next time as well)

WLS Cheesecake pudding – true to flavor, really good. I mixed in a little true lime flavoring and put in the freezer and it tasted like key lime cheesecake, so gooood. (will reorder)

Extra gift samples: Peanut Butter Pretzel bar – which was divine but it like a super restricted I think…it must be because it tasted toooo good.
Mocha chocolate wafer bars – comes with two wafers – loved them, going to reorder most definitely. It tastes like mocha and the chocolate drizzle on top is so good and there’s no weird after taste.

Alternatives rock! I’ve lost 15 lbs over these 2 weeks (since my last post and really glad I found this board because IP was way too expensive for me). Also I just discovered Go Veggie cheddar shreds....I'm going to order the pizza from Nashua next week so I can get that pizza craving out of my system.

WingnutandMe
02-13-2013, 04:27 PM
I am super late on this alternative response, but I got my order from Nashua, tried everything including a few samples and I really loved everything (thanks to all you ladies who suggest and recommend - greatly appreciated):

Syntrax nectar Apple Ecstasy – wouldn’t describe it as apple flavor, more like a light fruit juice with a touch of apply. Refreshing alongside breakfast, but not as filling as a standalone drink. (might order single serving again but not a whole jug)

Helathsmart Ceraeal Cinnamon – great, like mock cheerios. Good with a little EAS vanillas as milk, but even better as a standalone treat for snacking. No extra sweetener needed. (will reorder)

Protidiet Liquid Concentrate Grape Drink – was highly recommended on this board – all the hype is true. I love it! Tastes like jello flavored koolaid, really easy to mix because its like syrup in a little packet and I can take it anywhere (will definitely reorder).

Protithin Choco covered soy snacks & Protithin Vanilla Peanut Bar – both are same as IP, thanks all for the recommendations. (will definitely reorder).

WLS Choco chip pudding with Marshmallow – recommended here, and to me way better than IP. Has real pudding consistency, chocolate deliciousness and little choco pieces and marshmellow pieces make it a real treat. (will definitely reorder – going to order the Cocomint next time as well)

WLS Cheesecake pudding – true to flavor, really good. I mixed in a little true lime flavoring and put in the freezer and it tasted like key lime cheesecake, so gooood. (will reorder)

Extra gift samples: Peanut Butter Pretzel bar – which was divine but it like a super restricted I think…it must be because it tasted toooo good.
Mocha chocolate wafer bars – comes with two wafers – loved them, going to reorder most definitely. It tastes like mocha and the chocolate drizzle on top is so good and there’s no weird after taste.

Alternatives rock! I’ve lost 15 lbs over these 2 weeks (since my last post and really glad I found this board because IP was way too expensive for me). Also I just discovered Go Veggie cheddar shreds....I'm going to order the pizza from Nashua next week so I can get that pizza craving out of my system.

Glad to hear you've found some great products. Since you're going to order the pizza, be sure to check out some of the variations Rainbow's done with the pizza (and other alternatives) There are some recipes in both her recipe books (links to the PDFs are below).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwWdTuMO2HWabURKU1JkMkdIMFk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwWdTuMO2HWaSTY2TXA5b2VNMGc

Molly

SpittenImage
02-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Glad to hear you've found some great products. Since you're going to order the pizza, be sure to check out some of the variations Rainbow's done with the pizza (and other alternatives) There are some recipes in both her recipe books (links to the PDFs are below).

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwWdTuMO2HWabURKU1JkMkdIMFk

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwWdTuMO2HWaSTY2TXA5b2VNMGc

Molly

Thanks Molly! I love Rainbowsmiles recipes -- had no clue they'd been compiled into a pdf -Thank thanks!:D

SpittenImage
02-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Has anyone tried the HealthSmart Protein Pastry - Lemon? I want to add to my next order but not sure...there's only 1 review from 2010.... :-/

(also just realized that Wonderslim products are the same as Weight Loss systems. Did a comparison on dietdirect.com - but Nashua is much cheaper, so I'm sticking to Nashua)

scorbett1103
02-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Has anyone tried the HealthSmart Protein Pastry - Lemon? I want to add to my next order but not sure...there's only 1 review from 2010.... :-/

(also just realized that Wonderslim products are the same as Weight Loss systems. Did a comparison on dietdirect.com - but Nashua is much cheaper, so I'm sticking to Nashua)

I haven't tried them, but I decided not to buy them because they are 17g net carbs - what would be considered "highly restricted" - items that can only be used once or twice a week.

mompattie
02-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Re: health smart lemon pastries. Do not get these. They are gross. Hard thick chewy and tasteless. My box hit the trash.

SpittenImage
02-19-2013, 04:49 PM
Highly restricted? And gross? Okay, I yanked it from my order. Hey Scorbett what about the Healthsmart cookies (I have the oatmeal raisin on my list) they look good. I'm looking for a replacement for the IP cookie...

scorbett1103
02-19-2013, 04:52 PM
Highly restricted? And gross? Okay, I yanked it from my order. Hey Scorbett what about the Healthsmart cookies (I have the oatmeal raisin on my list) they look good. I'm looking for a replacement for the IP cookie...

I actually use the Health Smart Chocolate Chip cookies with the chocolate drizzle pretty frequently as my restricted item. I like it!

LexiChanel1
02-19-2013, 05:53 PM
Scorbett, Congrats on your loss! you look beautiful.

Whats a good replacement for the IP Southwest cheese curls?

scorbett1103
02-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Scorbett, Congrats on your loss! you look beautiful.

Whats a good replacement for the IP Southwest cheese curls?

Health Smart makes Taco cheese puffs are very close to the IP southwest cheese curls. I think Nashua has them on backorder right now but they can probably let you know when they will be available again.

And thank you! That picture was from November, haven't really had a chance to take a good one since starting my phase off - I'll get one before I officially cross into maintenance!

LexiChanel1
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Thanks Scorbett, I was talking about the picture you posted in a beautiful colorblock dress....You look beautiful and thin:)

scorbett1103
02-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Thanks Scorbett, I was talking about the picture you posted in a beautiful colorblock dress....You look beautiful and thin:)

Oh! Thank you! I had a little of the crazy hair going on but it was 11:30 at night after work so I have an excuse :)

LexiChanel1
02-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Scorbett,
you have accomplished something incredible, something I dont think I could do. For that you deserve a big congrats and you should be proud of yourself.

Nalas
02-21-2013, 03:55 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this... Today is my first day on Alternatuve IP... I had coffee, water, and an EAS shake for breakfast.... It's barely 11am and I'm really hungry :( is the shake supposed to curb my appetite? Will I eventually get less hungry? I'm so excited to eat my two cups of veggies at lunch :) my supplements won't be here until next week... Is it ok that I went ahead and started without them? Thanks in advance for any advice

patns
02-21-2013, 06:32 PM
Re: health smart lemon pastries. Do not get these. They are gross. Hard thick chewy and tasteless. My box hit the trash.

Same here. Luckily mine wasn't a box full but a sample they had enclosed with my order.

mompattie
02-21-2013, 08:53 PM
I actually use the Health Smart Chocolate Chip cookies with the chocolate drizzle pretty frequently as my restricted item. I like it!

I got these ones and the plain choc chip ones and they are most certainly NOT like the IP cookie. Where the IP cookie is light and somewhat dry, the Healthsmart ones are dense, chewy and thick and dry. I don't really like them. :(. And I ordered 2 boxes. Geez.

MyTime50
02-21-2013, 09:01 PM
I hope this is the right place to post this... Today is my first day on Alternatuve IP... I had coffee, water, and an EAS shake for breakfast.... It's barely 11am and I'm really hungry :( is the shake supposed to curb my appetite? Will I eventually get less hungry? I'm so excited to eat my two cups of veggies at lunch :) my supplements won't be here until next week... Is it ok that I went ahead and started without them? Thanks in advance for any advice
Nalas,
Welcome!! You should post this in the daily chat. You'll get a faster response and a lot of expert advice!
Good luck! :)

scorbett1103
02-21-2013, 09:56 PM

No, the shake isn't supposed to curb your appetite - remember that it's a meal REPLACEMENT not supplement. The low carb nature of ideal protein puts your body in a state of ketosis (when your body uses fat for fuel to make ketones that the brain can use) - THAT is what curbs your hunger. It takes about 4 days for your body to get there, so just be patient! If you are following the IP plan using alternative products, just stick to your sheet. Use your unlimited lettuce (romaine, boston/butter or iceberg) as much as possible. And definitely read through the other postings on the boards, there's a lot of good advice for new folks!

Nalas
02-22-2013, 01:40 AM
No, the shake isn't supposed to curb your appetite - remember that it's a meal REPLACEMENT not supplement. The low carb nature of ideal protein puts your body in a state of ketosis (when your body uses fat for fuel to make ketones that the brain can use) - THAT is what curbs your hunger. It takes about 4 days for your body to get there, so just be patient! If you are following the IP plan using alternative products, just stick to your sheet. Use your unlimited lettuce (romaine, boston/butter or iceberg) as much as possible. And definitely read through the other postings on the boards, there's a lot of good advice for new folks!

what can i eat with the lettuce? just plain? :?:

Nalas
02-22-2013, 01:43 AM
Nalas,
Welcome!! You should post this in the daily chat. You'll get a faster response and a lot of expert advice!
Good luck! :)

I don't seem to be that savvy with using this forum... Is the daily chat just the Ideal Protein board in general? When asking questions, do I need to share the fact that I'm using alternatives?

Thank you for the welcome by the way :)

scorbett1103
02-22-2013, 01:47 AM
what can i eat with the lettuce? just plain? :?:

You can use lettuce to make a big salad with your 2 cups of veggies at one of your meals, or eat lettuce between meals to curb hunger. You can make your own salad dressing with your 2 tsp oil, some apple cider vinegar or lemon juice, salt and herbs. In moderation (i.e. sticking to the recommended serving size of 2 Tbsp) you can use Walden Farms dressings, which are 0 carb, 0 sugar and 0 fat.

scorbett1103
02-22-2013, 01:49 AM
I don't seem to be that savvy with using this forum... Is the daily chat just the Ideal Protein board in general? When asking questions, do I need to share the fact that I'm using alternatives?

If you are on the Ideal protein forum, there is usually a thread opened for that day where most folks check in. The first post has a lot of great links in it too!

scorbett1103
02-28-2013, 11:54 PM
Bumping for new folks

evepet
03-01-2013, 01:20 PM

Here's today's 'Daily Chat' thread Nalas - just look for the similiar one, day by day. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/ideal-protein-diet/276709-ip-daily-chat-friday-3-1-2013-a.html

And yes, to make things clear when you're asking questions I'd include that you're following the IP program but using alternative products.

IrishLass59
03-02-2013, 03:01 PM
I purchase the Proti-Thin Chili Soy puffs as less expensive alernative to SW Cheese Curls. Not quite as much per bag, but I use these as 'croutons' to give my salads some kick. The BBQ are pretty good too - not as spicy; actually a little bit sweeet.

DannaA
03-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Hi there

I just posted this on the Canadian thread... but thought I would pass the same info on in case these products are also available in the US :)

I will be starting the IP program on Monday using alternatives and I am so excited to get started. My neighbour has just gone into phase 3 and her results are amazing... so her daughter and I are following suit and are going to be buddies. She will do it through 100% IP products and I will be doing alternatives.

I just wanted to say that I picked up some products today at Shoppers Drugmart as they were on sale.

I got bodylogix RTD shakes 4 for $9.49: and they are 170 cal, 6g carbs, 25g protien and have sucralose (2g sugar) not aspartame. I got the chocolate and the vanilla ice cream. They are also gluten free. They also have the powdered versions in larger format.. but I wanted to try small sample sizes before I went for bulk purchases.

I also got the new IsoFemme powdered protien for shakes. There are three flavours.. straberry, vanilla and chocolate. Each bottle was on sale for 18.99 and has 14 servings in it. They are 115 calories, 2 grams total carbs and 25g protien ... also sweetened with sucralose (1g sugar) and gluten free. And they are designed for women.

I plan on staying away from the bars and puddings as long as I can.. as I have a terrible sweet tooth and know I will get to depend on them.. so I hope these shakes are good. I have a pharmacist friend who is going to help me find the right supplements to match the ones from IP (which is why I am waiting till Monday to start). :)

So for 80 bucks today I got almost 3 weeks worth of protien shakes/drinks which I think is pretty awesome... my goal is to have a shake for breakfast, eggs with veggies for lunch or a shake if im not in the mood to cook.. a full dinner and then a shake before bed... (plus everything else we are supposed to include).

I am so excited to have found this site and see the amazing successes of everyone on here! Thank you for the inspirations! I cant wait to share my progress with all of you as well :)

dundun1021
03-20-2013, 11:31 PM
I know this has probably already been explained, but I've been on here looking at the alternative threads for 2 days now and how do I figure out if something is restricted or not? It seems like it its over 8 carbs it restricted. I got that part, but I don't understand the part about the calories? Also has anyone made a chart with the Healthsmart, Protidiet, Protithin and weight loss systems? I did IP last year, but it got to be too pricey so I want to do alternatives. I apologize if I am asking for repeat information.

scorbett1103
03-20-2013, 11:42 PM
I know this has probably already been explained, but I've been on here looking at the alternative threads for 2 days now and how do I figure out if something is restricted or not? It seems like it its over 8 carbs it restricted. I got that part, but I don't understand the part about the calories? Also has anyone made a chart with the Healthsmart, Protidiet, Protithin and weight loss systems? I did IP last year, but it got to be too pricey so I want to do alternatives. I apologize if I am asking for repeat information.

I've posted the guidelines in a few places, but I'm sure the posts are buried by now :) Here are the basic nutritional guidelines that make a product compatible with IP:

Under 200 calories per serving
less than 30% total calories from fat (multiply cal from fat by 3, if it's less than the total calories it's fine)

8g NET carbs or less = unrestricted
9g-16g NET carbs = restricted (once per day)
17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice per week only)
Above 17g net carbs is too high

at least 12-15g protein

dundun1021
03-21-2013, 12:04 AM
Thank you very much for re-posting that information for me. I feel like I can now order my food and start losing weight at a fraction of the cost of Ideal Protein. : )

grazi393
03-21-2013, 12:19 AM
I have a quick question, my order for Carbthin protein shake 0g carb, 0 sugar, 26g protein, 0g fat, 100 cals. Should I treat it as a regular packet? and
Is it possible to over do it on how many grams of protein a day?? Also my coach has me include fiber as normal carbs, is that ok? Thanks!

scorbett1103
03-21-2013, 12:13 PM
I have a quick question, my order for Carbthin protein shake 0g carb, 0 sugar, 26g protein, 0g fat, 100 cals. Should I treat it as a regular packet? and
Is it possible to over do it on how many grams of protein a day?? Also my coach has me include fiber as normal carbs, is that ok? Thanks!

Yes, use one serving as a "packet".

A person who is generally healthy (without liver/kidney problems) would have to eat an OBNOXIOUS amount of protein to "overdo" it, so don't sweat it if you go over a bit. Because that shake is almost twice the protein of an IP product though, I would say try to use it once (max twice) a day. You can't really cut the serving in half because then the calories would be too low.

You should NOT be counting carbs. That's not how the program was designed. But when you are looking at whether a product is restricted vs unrestricted, you should not be counting the dietary fiber in the carbs - dietary fiber is NOT digested and so does not trigger a glycemic response in the body. Subtract the dietary fiber from the total carbs, and that is the number you should use to figure out restricted vs unrestricted.

grazi393
03-21-2013, 04:17 PM
Scorbett, you always have the answers to my questions
Thank you so much!

I shouldn't worry about being put out of ketosis if i got over a bit on the proteins right?

amberjules
03-22-2013, 02:05 AM
I get asked quite often on how I pick my alternatives and how to decide if it's restricted or unrestricted so maybe this will help everyone. You an add it to your desktop or print it out.

http://www.lamberjules.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/How-to-Choose-an-Ideal-Protein-Alternative-Food1.png#

disgal
03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Wanted to post my new favorite Alternative :
ProtiDiet Peanut Butter Cookies! :carrot: Hello Heaven!!

Nutritional Facts
Serving Size: 1 Cookie Servings Per Container: 7
Amount Per Serving
Calories 160 Calories from Fat 50
Total Fat 6g
Saturated Fat 0.5g
Trans. Fat 0g
Cholesterol 10mg
Sodium 490mg
Potassium 180mg
Total Carbohydrate 21g
Dietary Fiber 12g
Sugars 5g
Sugar Alcohol 1g
Protein 15g

Although they net 9 carbs and therefore considered a Restricted, it's still worth it!!! ;)

ragdoll74
03-23-2013, 10:28 AM
disgal- Just wondering do those keep you full for very long? I've stayed away from the cookie alternatives because I worry that they will not keep me satisfied for very long.

IdealProteinNewbie
03-23-2013, 10:39 AM
disgal- Just wondering do those keep you full for very long? I've stayed away from the cookie alternatives because I worry that they will not keep me satisfied for very long.

I thought the same thing but they work well for me...I think due to the high fiber content.

disgal
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM

I try to take big sips of water in between bites (wanting it to last as long as possible no doubt lol) which seems to help with the hunger. I had one for breakfast 2 1/2 hours ago and so far still not hungry. :carrot: I also heat it up in the micro for 10-15 secs so its warm (at least for the first few bites anyway). ;)

Pixie111
03-23-2013, 01:00 PM
bump for ref!

ragdoll74
03-23-2013, 01:11 PM
I thought the same thing but they work well for me...I think due to the high fiber content.

I try to take big sips of water in between bites (wanting it to last as long as possible no doubt lol) which seems to help with the hunger. I had one for breakfast 2 1/2 hours ago and so far still not hungry. :carrot: I also heat it up in the micro for 10-15 secs so its warm (at least for the first few bites anyway). ;)

Thanks! I'll pick some up next time I order from Nashua.

disgal
03-23-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks! I'll pick some up next time I order from Nashua.
;). Let us know what you think!!

Pixie111
03-23-2013, 01:37 PM
I've been reading a lot of threads regarding the alternatives.

For the shakes - the EAS carbAdvantage has stood out.

Is there a good alternative to the IP broccoli and cheese soup ?

disgal
03-23-2013, 01:56 PM
I've been reading a lot of threads regarding the alternatives.

For the shakes - the EAS carbAdvantage has stood out.

Is there a good alternative to the IP broccoli and cheese soup ?

I hope someone answers this question too! That's the only item I still purchase from IP. I tried one from Protithin but didn't like it (now I have almost a full box collecting dust in my cabinet) :(
FYI......have you tried using a packet of the rotini and adding the broc/cheese with 2 oz of water??? YUM!!! Ok, so I purchase TWO items from IP ! ;)
(Trying to find an alternative for the rotini as well);)

ginettepv
03-24-2013, 10:17 PM
I've posted the guidelines in a few places, but I'm sure the posts are buried by now :) Here are the basic nutritional guidelines that make a product compatible with IP:

Under 200 calories per serving
less than 30% total calories from fat (multiply cal from fat by 3, if it's less than the total calories it's fine)

8g NET carbs or less = unrestricted
9g-16g NET carbs = restricted (once per day)
17g NET carbs = super restricted (twice per week only)
Above 17g net carbs is too high

at least 12-15g protein

Hi Scorbett,

Love your answers and insight. I was wondering what would be the highest sugar content for an alternative. I am still new with the alternatives, trying to find things with the least amount of sugar alcohols as I get upset stomachs and acid reflux. Found a good protein shake with 1 carb, 160 cal, 10,5 fat 25 g of protein, but it has 4 grams of sugar.

Can't seem to find anything about sugars. Help.:dizzy: thanks