Featherweights For those with just a few pounds, or trying to lose those last few pounds.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 126/116.8/112

Height: 5"4

Default Christmas Chewing Challenge 2012

New chewing challenge everybody!

I started a thread about this a while back if you want to have a look, just click on my name and my other threads (don't have enough points to post a link!)

So, got down to about 111 pounds when I started university (lost 5 pounds in about a week) just from chewing each mouthful 50-100 times and following intuitive eating.

But then, well, university happened. Late nights, drinking, drunk eating. Obviously eating slowly or chewing very well doesn't really happen when you're drunk. Weight has come back on, and currently I'm at 118.6 pounds.

Ideally I'd like to weigh 105 by Christmas day, but I'd settle for 110 or even 112 because I just felt so great then! Healthy and slim, and not bloated.

I've decided to give up alcohol for personal and weight reasons. The age for drinking is 18 in the UK, so don't worry I haven't been underage drinking! I'm a very lightweight drinker (it just takes me one shot, beer or cider to get drunk). Just one drink makes my stomach bloated, and makes me eat way too quickly, and I feel disgusting almost immediately and the next day! Alcohol makes me feel quite depressed too. I just don't think my body can cope with it, and I don't judge anyone else for doing it at all because most people's bodies are just better at coping with it than mine. It's quite hard at university to not drink, as people think you're a bit weird for it sometimes, but I've realised I don't enjoy it so why should I have to? (Sorry, bit of a random rant! It's so hard at University to be the non drinker!)

Anyway, what I am going to do is post my weight every day to track my progress - it helps to do it on a forum because it gives me an incentive to stick to it!

I understand that lots of people don't like the idea of so much chewing, and that's totally fine. My intention isn't to open up a debate about it or try and force it on everyone else. This is just for people who might want to try it with me!

So, if you're interested in joining me, there are basically two methods you can use:
  1. Chew each mouthful, or swish around your mouth if it's a liquid food, 50-100 times (more chews depending on how quickly you want to lose the weight).
  2. Take a small bite, and instead of counting chews, just keep chewing or swishing round your mouth until it tastes and feels like water (not just liquid, water). Even with liquids like milkshake, or creamy foods like mashed potato.

With either method, the smaller the bite you take, the less you will end up eating because you'll get full so quickly! I personally prefer to count my chews because it means I'm less likely to forget and just swallow my mouthful, but it's totally up to you.

It is also surprisingly easy to have a conversation whilst simultaneously counting the chews in your head once you get used to it (takes a few meals) if any of you are worried about that. I even learned how to read whilst counting chews before university, because it just became like a soft counting in the background to whatever I was doing. So please don't worry about it affecting your social life.

I prefer to use intuitive eating (eat what you want, when hungry, stop when no longer hungry) as I love it and it works, as my 'what' to eat part. But no matter what you're eating, this thread is just a focus on the how, so feel free to join in!

If you're joining, feel free to post your personal goals, how your'e doing (challenges, insights), how much weight or inches you've lost, and more importantly how you're feeling. This way we can support each other!

Again, my intention isn't to spark off a debate, it's for people who are interested in, have questions about, or are trying out chewing more and/or eating slowly as a part of their weight loss/maintenance/getting healthy methods.

Thank you guys! Super excited.
xkatex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #2  

Weight 117.6 pounds today.

Looking forward to my first day!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #3  

Default Day Two

Day Two: 116.8 pounds!

I can't believe how quickly this works! I had a whole 100g chocolate bar yesterday too, and loads of pasta. I think because it was so spread out throughout the day and I wasn't eating it all in one go my body didn't hold on to any of it.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:06 AM   #4  

Hi guys, my scale isn't working at the moment, it says I'm 5 stone 5 which I'm pretty sure I'm not because I'm not in hospital! So I don't know my weight. I'll start doing measurements instead I think, and get a measuring tape tomorrow. Feeling really good though! x