Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #1  

Default Not feeling pretty after weight loss...

I love my new body although it can certainly use some tweaking, lol and i've lost around 100 lbs and before the weight loss i had what i considered a pretty face although ironically one of the places i was most excited to lose was my full face and double chin. Well fast forward to (almost) goal and i just don't really like the way i look that much anymore, i don't feel pretty my face has lost all the weight and more and it looks gaunt to me (i'm NOT underweight), i know there's absolutely nothing i can do about it and dwelling on it isn't going to help but it is a "loss" that i have to grieve, however silly. Anyone else find themselves feeling this way?

thanks!
Susie
3fcuser291505109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #2  

Height: 5'4

First off, 100 pounds is an amazing loss! Congratulations!

Have you considered changing your hair cut and/or the way you do your makeup? You might be surprised at how the new shape of your face can effect your hair and makeup, and visa versa.

It will take some getting used to... there is no doubt about that, but I'm sure your face is just as lovely as it's always been! A few tweaks to your beauty routine could be all you need to feel your best!
JossFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #3  

thanks for your reply! i am an avid makeup lover (you should see my "stash") lol and i've adjusted things a little bit plus my hair a bit, i'm just going to have to accept it i guess and try not to dwell on it, my face has always been my focal point of what i've concentrated on so it's kind of a jolt and depressing although it sounds so narcissistic to me i kind of look like people who have lost a lot of weight and the first thing you notice is how drawn their face looks in comparison to what they used to look like but it seems after awhile things even out. I don't know if that is actually true but i know it's something i'm just going to have to accept, plus that i am aging..

BTW perusing your links... WOW! i do go to bodybuilding.com every so often and get inspired. i'm really trying to get into bodybuilding (i used to follow Rachel Mclish in the 80's, what a woman) and that is what i want to focus on although it won't be anywhere near advanced, trying to work through Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibro but i know it's weights that truly shape the body. Anyway, just saying you look great and THANK YOU for your service to our country
Old 11-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #4  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

I second the congrats...!!! And I agree with JossFit about the hair and make up... Maybe going to a make up counter and having them try some new looks... I also like going for a facial to really get my skin glowing and that "polished" look... I've also used injectables and some fillers... and those worked wonders for me...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripSwitch View Post
I second the congrats...!!! And I agree with JossFit about the hair and make up... Maybe going to a make up counter and having them try some new looks... I also like going for a facial to really get my skin glowing and that "polished" look... I've also used injectables and some fillers... and those worked wonders for me...
Thanks!

oh how i would love to be able to afford fillers!! Maybe someday. I also do facials and have to admit i have pretty good skin for 50 and not many wrinkles except now the smile lines that weren't apparent at all are very apparent after the weight loss
Old 11-28-2012, 06:38 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 160:(/see ticker/125

Height: 5'4

You just need a makeover! Nothing better to get out of your comfort zone and try something new. Hair style, new make up and clothes! Have fun and enjoy the new you!

Congrats on your weight loss
CIELOARGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:06 PM   #7  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

I understand what you're saying about the gaunt face thing. My husband had it after he lost 100lbs, and now I have it. I can tell that it did get better for him after awhile. (maybe a year?) Skin takes some time to respond to the loss of padding underneath it.

I do think that perhaps doing a makeover/hair thing might cheer you up. Even maybe just a day spa trip might help.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 292/144/145

Height: 5'10"

I looked gaunt for a while, too, but it gets better. Things had to settle a bit, some extra skin firms up, and you also get used to looking at the new you. I was in my early 40's when I lost the weight and that also coincided with some natural aging kicking in. Lots of moisturizer helped give my face a softer look.
Robin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #9  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I went through that same thing when stopped losing this past april...Although my body was fine, I was not happy with my face and the "Depelated" and tired look that had over taken it. And I always liked my face, and imagined how it would look at goal...

7, almost 8 months later, it seems to have sprung back and settled, and now I'm quite happy with it again. Just give the skin in your face more time to recover from the weightloss. Just like your body, your skin was stretched, and lost what was keeping it full...It'll spring back
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:11 AM   #10  

Height: 5'6

Losing 100 pounds is a huge stressor on your body though. Your face WILL look tired and a little more "sunken."
I'm a kinesiology student and in class we learn about the amazing benefits of exercise and a proper diet and it helps you in ways that sometimes I cannot even IMAGINE. but the one thing I never understood is why a heavier persons face looks "healthier" and full of color compared to a thinner person. I get why aesthetically when you break it down, but biologically it's weird, considering exercise brings so much good to a person.. physically and mentally.

Anywho, like i said, your body just went through a tremendous change and it took a lot out of you. Once everything is settled in and stabilized you should start loving the way you look, and your face should (if you eat right and exercise regularly ofcourse) return to the same amount of "prettiness" you had seen before, although im sure you look great now.
luckystreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/132/125 or 115? not sure

Height: 5'4" (on a good-hair day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vex View Post
I understand what you're saying about the gaunt face thing. My husband had it after he lost 100lbs.
I think the 'gaunt' look is temporary & improves over time.

Congrats on your weight loss, that's wonderful!!!!

Last edited by Mountain Mamma; 11-30-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Mountain Mamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #12  

I don't have any advice but wanted to say congrats to all of you on your 100lb weight losses! It's people like you that help me stick to my new lifestyle and I so appreciate this forum.

And for the record, I am sure you are all just gorgeous now.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:33 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Mamma View Post
I think the 'gaunt' look is temporary & improves over time.
For most people this is true.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #14  

Thank you , everyone! i so appreciate the support and have decided to "steel" my mind against being down on myself for looking different than i imagined and i'm going to tell myself that i am still pretty and am far healthier than i was a year ago and also expect that things will settle out after awhile. Also turning 50 this year, i just have to expect some mourning of the loss of youth. So i will try to keep my focus on getting as healthy as i can and enjoying it.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #15  

Susie,

I have the same problem. I feel like my face looks prettiest at 20-30 lbs overweight, almost as pretty when over that, and less pretty as I get to what I consider the ideal weight for my body. Maybe there's a facial cream that will puff the face out a bit, but that might not be healthy for us.

I figure it's a mandatory trade off, like a certain other part of the body I prefer the looks of at a higher weight than the rest of my body is comortable at.
htrm is offline   Reply With Quote