Living Maintenance - Maintainers Weekly Chat Nov 26 - Dec 2

paperclippy
11-26-2012, 09:53 AM
What, no early birds to start the chat thread this week? :lol: Can you believe it's almost December already??? When did that happen?

CherryPie99
11-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi everyone!

I just wanted to spead some happiness this morning! I'm back this morning to the weight I was Thanksgiving morning, so I'm pretty happy with that! I'm only 3.5 months into maintenance and I know that this is not very long at all. But I'm feeling very in control and confident about my eating and weight.

I'm hoping this continues through the challenging holiday season.

In other news, I'm about 90% done with my Xmas shopping and got about 75% of that wrapped already, so that makes me happy! The only bad thing is that getting it done this early means I'm bound to run into bargains in the next month and will probably spend more then I should!

Hope everyone is starting the week as good as I am!

Jen

alinnell
11-26-2012, 10:26 AM
My weight is back up again this morning. I attribute it to 1) sodium and 2) getting up earlier than I have this past weekend. I'm not too concerned because all the leftovers are gone (except turkey).

Christmas shopping? Ugh. I do have a couple presents yet to buy, but they'll probably be purchased online this week. We're really paring down the gift giving this year, but there are still some that must be sent.

bargoo
11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I was up 2.4 pounds day after Thanksgiving have dropped a little , 1.4 pounds so am now just one pound over Thanksgiving morning. My body is so willing to accept extra poundage and so reluctant to let go of it.

bargoo
11-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Christmnas shopping !!!!! My avatar is as far as I have gotten,

alinnell
11-26-2012, 11:25 AM
Good cat news! I had reported last week that DH found a gray tabby hit by a car and I thought it was mama and we were worried for her kittens. Well, mama showed up over the weekend and is here again this morning! She's still keeping her kittens away, but at least we know they're safe. I was really worried that IF we found them it would be too late.

Monday morning at work. Ugh. So much to do and I have no motivation at all.

BTW, DD talked me into trying shiritake tofu noodles. On the back of the package is a Hungry Girl recipe for soup. I'm going to try that recipe tonight or tomorrow night and add some leftover turkey to it. I've heard it is necessary to really rinse the noodles before using them, but it's cool that there only 20 calories in the whole bag!

I will have to arrange our "End of Year" party here at work (we have one Jehovah's Witness so we can't associate it with any holiday). If we do it on a Friday, we'll have to have it vegetarian or at least offer one vegetarian option (for the JW). I'm considering closing the office Christmas Eve so that will mean the lunch will be on Friday. Any suggestions on what to feed the men? In the past we've done a taco cart, chicken enchiladas with all the fixings and lasagna with salad and garlic bread. I'm kind of at a loss this year.

krampus
11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
I wrecked my back squatting with improper form Saturday, but I have knocked off 3 of the 4 lbs of epic Thanksgiving bloat I put on. Tonight is "Friendsgiving" - the LEFTOVERS edition - we'll see about that last 1 lb.

I think I have gone Christmas shopping literally every day since Black Friday. Yesterday my roommate (an art teacher pretending to be a waitress) and I made Christmas cards all day and both went shopping for craft supplies. I'm giddy like a child.

Took 800 mg ibuprofen this morning to attack the back pain but realized I would feel TERRIBLE if I didn't eat with it. So much for intermittent fasting eh!

traveling michele
11-26-2012, 12:43 PM
Good morning all.
I'm still freaked out by my weight-- sounds like I'm the only one.

Took dd to the airport this morning at 3 AM!! So, I'm already hungry and on my third BIG cup of coffee. Dh also left as did older dd so the house will be quiet.

Dd was baptized on Saturday. Interesting week/weekend. I'll try to update more later but I'm swamped at work!

EZMONEY
11-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Allison, I'd go with the taco/enchilada bar and just add in a few veggie tacos and enchiladas...

our company has, at times, 25 or so Jehovah Witness, that hang our drywall...

I can guarantee you not a one of them is a vegetarian!

Those guys can put away the carne asada! LOL

JayEll
11-26-2012, 01:52 PM
EZ is right--JWs can eat meat--but perhaps your JW is vegetarian for other reasons, alinnell.

alinnell
11-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Our JW specifically does not eat meat on Fridays. Otherwise he's a carnivore.

When I did the enchiladas, I made everything myself (same as the lasagna). The taco cart guy was good, but terribly expensive and I'd rather do the cooking myself to save the extra money. I don't think I could pull off a successful taco cart thing by myself--not enough experience with the guys (of whom about half are Hispanic).

Sheila53
11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

Definitely not. Bleah. I haven't even attempted to get on the scale.

Not sure what church your DD attends, but my DD was baptized the day she turned 18 (LDS). I attended the baptism--had never seen a full immersion baptism. Actually, thinking about it, I don't think I'd ever seen any kind of baptism before except on a TV show. That's what I get for being a Unitarian.

traveling michele
11-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Definitely not. Bleah. I haven't even attempted to get on the scale.

Not sure what church your DD attends, but my DD was baptized the day she turned 18 (LDS). I attended the baptism--had never seen a full immersion baptism. Actually, thinking about it, I don't think I'd ever seen any kind of baptism before except on a TV show. That's what I get for being a Unitarian.

Sheila-- So you aren't LDS? That is what dd converted to. She is not quite 18 (in a few months) so we had to sign permission for her to convert. How old is dd now? Is she happy with her decision? It is quite a change for us and we are still getting used to the idea!

bargoo
11-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Good morning all.

No, you are not the only one. I constantly have weight on my mind. I have a history of YoYo dieting and don't want to go back to that, consequently I do freak out about weight, I find keeping weight off is harder than losing it. The thing about maintenance is that it is forever, endless, eternal.

Sheila53
11-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Sheila-- So you aren't LDS? That is what dd converted to. She is not quite 18 (in a few months) so we had to sign permission for her to convert. How old is dd now? Is she happy with her decision? It is quite a change for us and we are still getting used to the idea!

We're not LDS, and I made my DD wait until she was legally an adult so she got baptized right on her birthday. My one big issue going into it was that I wouldn't be able to attend her wedding, which made me sad, plus I told her she couldn't baptize me in absentia. But the whole thing involved a boy who ended up going on a mission and that ended that. She's 29 now, and hasn't been involved with the LDS church for about a decade. And I saw her get married (to a guy she met at Navy boot camp)--and divorced. :shrug:

Mudpie
11-26-2012, 06:30 PM
I wrecked my back squatting with improper form Saturday, but I have knocked off 3 of the 4 lbs of epic Thanksgiving bloat I put on. Tonight is "Friendsgiving" - the LEFTOVERS edition - we'll see about that last 1 lb.

I think I have gone Christmas shopping literally every day since Black Friday. Yesterday my roommate (an art teacher pretending to be a waitress) and I made Christmas cards all day and both went shopping for craft supplies. I'm giddy like a child.

Took 800 mg ibuprofen this morning to attack the back pain but realized I would feel TERRIBLE if I didn't eat with it. So much for intermittent fasting eh!

Nonsmoker - :bravo:

Nice new avatar pic too!

Dagmar :dizzy:

WardHog
11-26-2012, 07:22 PM
I agree with Dagmar - very pretty, krampus!

neurodoc
11-27-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, this definitely doesn't belong in the losing weight thread, so I'm putting it here (though it probably doesn't belong here either).
I think I already mentioned that I tapered myself off of my antidepressant in mid-late October with the hope that part of my decade-long low libido issue was related to my decade-long stay on that SSRI (Lexapro). Well, first I had 2 weeks of an incredibly painful withdrawal process (sudden firestorms of emotionality, complete with tears and all sorts of drama I don't usually experience). Since the 2nd week of November I have stabilized but (1) I have no more libido than I did before, so it definitely wasn't the Lexapro, and (2) I am sooo much more irritable/sarcastic/short-tempered/intolerant without this drug. I'm not depressed but I'm just not a good person. And now I'm really conflicted because, when I went on SSRIs in the early 1990s, it was because I had genuine depression, along with anxiety. Now, I've probably "outgrown" the depression part and so there's really no good medical reason for this medication. Let me make that statement clearer: a doctor would not be justified in prescribing this medication to me now. BUT I'm really disliking who I am without it (the "real me" :>(, and my always critical self-talk has exploded into a veritable cesspool of self-loathing and self-criticism.

So, since I have no real-life friends I can confide this to, I'm asking you all here on this thread - what would you do? Better yet, knowing me from the last few years of on-off posting in this forum, what do you think would be the best choice for me? And, before you ask or suggest it, I DO have a psychiatrist, and I will be talking to him on Friday. But he's a nice guy and a pushover; he'll pretty much do whatever I ask, and he seems to have no strong opinions of his own (at least, not so far) and I doubt he's going to come down hard on one side of this vs. the other.

Mudpie
11-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Well, this definitely doesn't belong in the losing weight thread, so I'm putting it here (though it probably doesn't belong here either).
I think I already mentioned that I tapered myself off of my antidepressant in mid-late October with the hope that part of my decade-long low libido issue was related to my decade-long stay on that SSRI (Lexapro). Well, first I had 2 weeks of an incredibly painful withdrawal process (sudden firestorms of emotionality, complete with tears and all sorts of drama I don't usually experience). Since the 2nd week of November I have stabilized but (1) I have no more libido than I did before, so it definitely wasn't the Lexapro, and (2) I am sooo much more irritable/sarcastic/short-tempered/intolerant without this drug. I'm not depressed but I'm just not a good person. And now I'm really conflicted because, when I went on SSRIs in the early 1990s, it was because I had genuine depression, along with anxiety. Now, I've probably "outgrown" the depression part and so there's really no good medical reason for this medication. Let me make that statement clearer: a doctor would not be justified in prescribing this medication to me now. BUT I'm really disliking who I am without it (the "real me" :>(, and my always critical self-talk has exploded into a veritable cesspool of self-loathing and self-criticism.

So, since I have no real-life friends I can confide this to, I'm asking you all here on this thread - what would you do? Better yet, knowing me from the last few years of on-off posting in this forum, what do you think would be the best choice for me? And, before you ask or suggest it, I DO have a psychiatrist, and I will be talking to him on Friday. But he's a nice guy and a pushover; he'll pretty much do whatever I ask, and he seems to have no strong opinions of his own (at least, not so far) and I doubt he's going to come down hard on one side of this vs. the other.

No answers - I'm not a doctor- but some questions for you Andrea.

You're passed the 6-8 week withdrawal period? Should you wait awhile longer to make sure you have completely withdrawn? Are there any fairly severe side effects with the Lexapro that you want to avoid? And is there another drug that might give you the "smoothening" out it did which might be a better "fit" with your life?

I think seeing your psychiatrist on Friday is a good step.

JayEll
11-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Andrea, it sounds to me like you are feeling a need to change some things, and IMHO drugs are not the way to do it.

Maybe you need a therapist who isn't a "pushover." Maybe not even a psychiatrist! I'd suggest you look around for a very bright clinical psychologist who will work with you regularly. I say "very bright" because it's clear that you are intelligent, so you may not be willing to work with someone who doesn't match your intelligence. (This is often a downside of high IQ, high achiever, gifted/talented, etc.)

ChrisMohr
11-27-2012, 09:05 AM
Hi all,
Crud. Three days of way overeating last week. This week, yet another family gathering. Trying to keep control with eating but expectations are low. When I get back on Thursday I will take charge again and get back into my maintenance range. In the meantime, damage control this week. Actually, I used top grossly overeat for five or six days over Thanksgiving. I cut down the number of gross overeating days by half. Progress, I guess, but I'm very discouraged.

CherryPie99
11-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Andrea, I don't know you well at all, but I do work in the mental health field so I hope you don't mind a couple of thoughts - you say that you have "outgrown" the depression. What makes you say that? You say that you are irritable and short tempered, and those are classic signs of depression.

You may have experienced depression in the past as overwhelming sadness, but anger and irritability are also signs, they are just more "typical" in men rather then women to show their depression that way.

This could also explain the lack of libido - who feels like "getting busy" when you are irritable?

There is a new SSRI out there - Viibryd - that people are having good luck with that seems to have less sexual and other side effects then traditional SSRI's. Or, have you ever been tried on a non-SSRI like Effexor or Wellbutrin?

Just some thoughts...

Jen

paperclippy
11-27-2012, 09:49 AM
Andrea, it sounds to me like if you don't trust your psychiatrist to make good decisions on your behalf, you need a new psychiatrist. That said, I don't know what to tell you about the depression, but I can tell you that my decade-long low libido turned out to be a direct side effect of hormonal birth control. I don't know if you use bc or not but if you do it may be the culprit.

Megan1982
11-27-2012, 10:15 AM
Morning all,

I braved the scale this AM and am up 3 lbs from my pre-Thanksgiving weight. Yesterday, Monday, I went back to a losing eating plan with tons of veggies, no cocktails, back to the gym for the first time in about 3 weeks, and out for a wog with the dog. I have 1.5 weeks to hit the gym before my vacation and my membership runs out, and I've make the hard decision not to renew it, at least for now. I'm really tempted by the black Fri/cyber Mon (except it all goes through Wed this year?) prices on ellipticals. I will come up with more effective ways to work out from home. Since there is no longer any pie in sight, I had a lowfat pumpkin muffin and some tea for dessert last night. I have tangerines and more tea for the rest of the week. And kale. Did I mention the kale? Somehow I am convinced mounds of kale will save me.

Chris, the holidays are so tough with so much indulgent food around. Just tough. I find it impossible to refuse all the food, so getting right back to my healthy eats and keeping exercise up is really key for me. Control what you can, and get ready for the Christmas go-around in a few weeks. Don't give in to the temptation to let your eating habits slip this week bc of the upcoming gathering Thursday! (I say this not as an expert at this, but as someone who tries to follow this advice on such occasions.)

BF's family is so frustrating! Thanksgiving was fine, but bc no one talked about the drama. There will be more drama there in the coming weeks. BF has been fairly open to talking to me about things (he tends to clam up) and seemed ok last night. I'm sure it will be a recurring topic for me in the next few weeks.

Andrea, I don't have experience w depression medications. But like Dagmar suggested, I wonder if you're really over the withdrawal period. Besides talking to your psychiatrist Friday, I would suggest doing some research on your own about how long withdrawal really takes and how long others have said it takes for their libido to return. Online forums perhaps? Talk to your psychiatrist, and if s/he is non-responsive, perhaps it's time to look for a new one. (I'm imagining the stereotypical psychiatrist responding to your every statement with "and how does that make you feel?" which I would find incredibly frustrating.) Maybe a different medication is called for, but I would give it a bit longer for your body to recover and regain its equilibrium.

Krampus, great avatar pic!

Allison, what kind of kitchen set-up will you have for this meal? Do you have an oven/stove readily available or are you bringing in the food from elsewhere?

Have a good week all. Eat your kale! :broc:

saef
11-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Andrea, you've already gotten some good advice here, so good that I'm actually going to borrow some of it.

I would also really look at the relationship with the psychiatrist.

I've had a really good therapist in the past, and I've got a nice one now who's just adequate. The difference between the two is that the first one really challenged me, turned me upside down, and offered me a kind of lifeline sometimes, and I couldn't wait for each session. I thought about them for a long time afterward. I didn't just go as a matter of duty and feel I was going round in a circle, without progressing.

I have to remind myself it's a paid-for relationship, not a friendship. I know my current therapist would take it personally if I ended it, seeking out someone better, but really, I'm paying for a service here, and could do better.

Maybe that's your inner dialogue on this issue, too?

saef
11-27-2012, 10:27 AM
This week, I'm going to work on keeping work and diversion separate as possible.

It has occurred to me periodically that one reason my life feels so driven is that I can't tell anymore when I am working and when I am not working. The computer is always on & I am moving back & forth between work & not-work. It has nothing to do with "working hours" anymore. This blurring isn't healthy. For one thing, I never get the satisfactory feeling of work done well & laid aside, and put out of mind till it's taken up again. And I just feel guilty when I am not continuing working, or keep feeling tentative, like, "Yes, I'll pick that up later tonight."

I'm talking about boundaries here.

But that also means renouncing some playtime during working hours, so I need to get off this site for a while.

traveling michele
11-27-2012, 11:31 AM
Andrea-- it sounds like you've gotten some good advice so I'm not sure what I could add, but it does sound like you are still having some depression issues. That being said, my dd went on Lexapro as a teen (with severe depression) and it began her extreme weight gain. Sounds like you didn't have that side effect from it. I personally wouldn't want to live my life constantly miserable which it sounds like you are now. Especially if you are experiencing self-loathing-- for me that would equate to weight gain.

My own weight is still on my mind. I was down a little today but no whoosh yet and I feel like I look 6 months preggo.

Megan-- why are you giving up your gym membership?

Saef-- I understand you about boundaries. They do tend to get blurred-- both at work and at home....

alinnell
11-27-2012, 11:52 AM
Megan~my kitchen at work consists of a fridge, sink and microwave. Usually I bake everything at home, wrap in towels and then pack in coolers and bring to the office. That usually works well to keep everything hot until I serve it. I also have buffet servers that keep things warm with Sterno, so that's an option as well. We can BBQ if someone brings one in. Ours is too big to lug around and we don't have a propane tank for it.

I'm still thinking about options. I was going to talk to DH about it last night, but totally forgot.

We were supposed to go see Boz Scaggs on Thursday but he's cancelled his tour because of laryngitis. It's rescheduled for late March, but I'm not sure if I want to keep the tickets (this is the second time it's been cancelled).

We've determined that the feral mama cat is alive and well and keeping THREE kittens with her. DH saw the third last night and I confirmed that this morning when I went to feed them. Now he's saying there is a fourth. That's a lot of TNR!

EZMONEY
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Angie and Ilove-LOVE! Boz Scaggs...

we wanted to see him a few years ago but decided the price for the tickets at the casino he was at wasn't worth it...

we just plugged the i-pod into the BOSE and stayed home ;-)

Megan1982
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Megan-- why are you giving up your gym membership?

My normal work hours are mon-fri 7:30-4:00, but sometimes require me to work later. The gym is 10 min. from work in the opposite direction of my home, open Mon-fri 7:00-7:30 (but I've been told the early AM employee routinely doesn't open until 7:30). I try to go for an hour right after work, then get home to give the dog some exercise, but am unwilling to leave her locked up day after day for more than 8 hours. It is so hard for me to get there when they're open! Lately 3x per week has been a good week. Over the last three weeks between work, my play, Thanksgiving, plus taking care of my dog I haven't been there once. They used to have weekend hours and cut them all. They used to allow you to suspend your membership if you wouldn't be around but don't now (I went in 2.5 weeks ago and asked if I could do this, when I learned their policy had changed), and they used to give corporate rates which I qualified for which they just eliminated and raised prices.

I have tried to do a lunchtime workout when possible last winter but even though I adjusted my work hours, the boss wasn't a fan. Plus my work doesn't allow lunchtime workouts when I have to go do field work. I used to go in before work sometimes, when they opened at 6:30, but they cut those hours.

I feel like I've been fighting and fighting to keep going to the gym as hours have been cut etc, and it's causing me so much more stress. I worry about my motivation, but I hope starting from scratch at home will help me re-focus and work out more. The idea of not having a gym membership scares the heck out of me bc I'm worried I'll - yup - get fat! But at this point it seems such a waste of $, and I don't have $ to waste.

I live in a rural area and this is the only gym for ~30-35 miles. The next closest one is just too far, takes too much time to get to, and is too expensive to get to in gas.

Did you want all those reasons? ;) This is really an overly emotional decision for me. I can give it a try... and always rejoin in a month or two.

bargoo
11-27-2012, 11:58 AM
Allison, how about pizza ? You can get vegetarian pizzas that are quite good, and you could have a few other things , chicken wings or what have you . Christmas cookies and Christmas candies and you have it made.

NeuroDocs Hubby
11-28-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't post often, in fact this is my second post in 15 months, but I must state for the record that even with her alleged "low libido" NeuroDoc rocks my world in ways so incredible I can't begin to describe them.

My vote is for a happy person who's not beating herself up.

traveling michele
11-28-2012, 01:01 AM
I don't post often, in fact this is my second post in 15 months, but I must state for the record that even with her alleged "low libido" NeuroDoc rocks my world in ways so incredible I can't begin to describe them.

:)
I hope your wife sees your post. It is very sweet. I hope she is doing well.

Mudpie
11-28-2012, 06:41 AM

You are a very supportive husband to post this here. Good for you and lucky Andrea to have you at her side! Show her this!

Mudpie
11-28-2012, 06:44 AM
Hi all,
Crud. Three days of way overeating last week. This week, yet another family gathering. Trying to keep control with eating but expectations are low. When I get back on Thursday I will take charge again and get back into my maintenance range. In the meantime, damage control this week. Actually, I used top grossly overeat for five or six days over Thanksgiving. I cut down the number of gross overeating days by half. Progress, I guess, but I'm very discouraged.

Chris You have done something positive - cut the Thanksgiving "gross overeating" from 6 days to 3. Now you are getting back into maintenance mode.

:bravo:

bargoo
11-28-2012, 08:19 AM

NeuroDoc is one lucky lady to have you for a husband. Your post has brightened my day. Thanks for posting.

BillBlueEyes
11-28-2012, 08:39 AM
For five consecutive days we had large dinner events with family and/or friends starting with Thanksgiving and continuing through a family wedding and extended visit. 'Salota eating. I varied from superb to just OK - but never stuffed. Glad that's over.

Brazilian BBQ is evil. A steady stream of waiters continues to bring new skewers of meat all through the meal. You don't get up to go get seconds - they come to you. And the servers act slightly put out if you don't eat, LOL. Such good food. Such an easy way to overeat.

ICUwishing
11-28-2012, 10:35 AM
NeuroDocs Hubby - you made my day, too! Thanks for demonstrating your loving support of your sharp lady in such a public fashion! I too would vote for happiness; I believe firmly that stress does shorten your lifespan (along with reducing its quality).

Bill, I agree with your assessment of the BBBQ. I mean, I am a dedicated carnivore but that is seriously over the top. I remember feeling like one of those Animal Planet lions passed out on its back after the feast, with the huge swollen belly.

Yesterday and today are doors/window replacement. Thank goodness the sun was out and it was dry! They finished all the doors except for the front door, which will be done today. The new windows in the master bath are a bit unsettling; there's a whole lot more light than there was before. And it's warmer, which tells me just how bad the old single window was! :dizzy: We also closed on our refinance last night. Very timely, since now we get to skip payments until February!

I promise that if I hit the Powerball tonight, I will finance the development of a mobile app for 3FC. :D

bargoo
11-28-2012, 11:06 AM
NeuroDocs Hubby - you made my day, too! Thanks for demonstrating your loving support of your sharp lady in such a public fashion! I too would vote for happiness; I believe firmly that stress does shorten your lifespan (along with reducing its quality).

Bill, I agree with your assessment of the BBBQ. I mean, I am a dedicated carnivore but that is seriously over the top. I remember feeling like one of those Animal Planet lions passed out on its back after the feast, with the huge swollen belly.

Yesterday and today are doors/window replacement. Thank goodness the sun was out and it was dry! They finished all the doors except for the front door, which will be done today. The new windows in the master bath are a bit unsettling; there's a whole lot more light than there was before. And it's warmer, which tells me just how bad the old single window was! :dizzy: We also closed on our refinance last night. Very timely, since now we get to skip payments until February!

I promise that if I hit the Powerball tonight, I will finance the development of a mobile app for 3FC. :D

Pinky Promise ?

alinnell
11-28-2012, 11:21 AM
NeuroDoc~you're one lucky lady to have such a nice husband!

Becky~single pane windows are really, really bad in letting in heat and cold. It still amazes me that there are people who prefer them. Basically here everything is dual glazed for new construction to conform to Title 24 regulations (energy efficiency). In our master bathroom, the south and west windows are a huge (5'x5' each) opening which we put in "glass" block which lets in a lot of light but you can't see through it. I say "glass" because it's actually plexiglass (plastic) that is much easier to install. Our first summer we realized how much heat those let in due to their size, so we installed blinds on the outside of the windows. Amazing how a blind on the outside really makes a difference. I'm doubtful that putting a blind on the inside would have worked as well.

We have a couple Brazilian BBQ places here (churrascaria) but I've never been to one. I really don't have a desire to.

Ah, pizza! That would be super easy--order for delivery. That so far is the best idea. I could make salad. The guys often bring cookies to share.

Mudpie
11-28-2012, 11:32 AM
Becky I had the lion with the swollen belly in mind for the whole time (days it seemed) I was recovering after a night of BBBQ. The waiters never stopped coming, as Bill said, and they looked quite perplexed when I attempted to refuse the 4th helping of meat. I just wanted to sleeeep for about a week afterwards.

traveling michele
11-28-2012, 11:36 AM
My dh goes to Brazil often as part of his business travels and talks often about the meat orgies that occur there!

I overslept today! I never oversleep. Ever. I really think my alarm didn't go off. I usually get up at 5:00 and I woke at 6:30! My weight was down 1.4 but I wonder if it's because I slept longer??? I was out the door in 20 minutes including taking care of the dogs and cats! Breakfast from Starbucks rather than my normal slow relaxing breakfast. Couldn't be late for Kindergarten day!

Megan1982
11-28-2012, 11:45 AM
I ended the night so angry/stressed last night. I had volunteered to judge a local school science fair and was told it would take 2-3 hours. It took closer to 5 hours, by the time I finished I was starving and hangry, it was pitch dark, and yet again the gym was about to close and my dog got only a short walk. After doing so well on Monday re-starting my exercise program, I got so frustrated with my stupid job that is supposed to be "normal" hours never having normal hours. I just wish I had known it would take so long. I would have planned differently, and I felt like a planning failure and like I was making excuses for not working out.

So, I will do better today. The dog is at daycare, and after work I'm going to go to the gym and then to my much-needed yoga. I'm closing my office door this afternoon and getting some things done.

Michele, the science fair, which was really a poster science fair, was held in the library. It made me think of you. I tried to be extra quiet as I judged so as not to disturb the librarian.

Allison, I was thinking pizza, too. A friend has sort of ingredient potluck at his house every few weeks at his place. We usually bring ingredients for Mexican/tacos etc, or pizza. I mean, everyone loves pizza, right? And it's easy to have veggie and meat options.

Becky, sounds like the reno is really moving along. Great! GL w powerball, lol.

NeuroDocs hubby, glad you are such a fan of your wife! :) We like her too.

Bill, thanks for letting me know that, I will try to avoid Brazilian BBQ. That sounds sort of like dim sum, which I've only been to once. I guess it was tasty but left me feeling rather ill. At least at a buffet you can survey all your options first. But I try to avoid them all.

midwife
11-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Andrea,
A couple of thoughts.
Are you on any estrogen-containing birth control? That could explain the low libido.
Also, I agree with the therapy recommendation. In fact, I agree so much, I am about to make my own appt for the same symptoms.
Finally, your DH is awesome.

Shannon in ATL
11-28-2012, 03:42 PM
Hectic week here. Remember about this time last year when I was switching my 700+ person company to a new payroll provider and was so stressed? Well, the new company was terrible. So now I'm in the process of going back to the old one and am stressed out again. I've been reading, but not always posting. Weight is up and down, but at least stress has kept me from eating the last few days. When this settles down I'll be back.

Andrea - good advice given already, I hope you figure out what is going on. I know it is frustrating. I second the hormonal birth control question? I took anti-depressants myself for a long time. The withdrawal took awhile, and I had to relearn how not to by snappy and irritable. Maybe a little longer off the meds would allow your personality to regain control? Or maybe a step down med would be a good answer.
Andrea's hubby - you're awesome. :)

Megan - sorry you had so much craziness last night and so much stress over the gym. I think quitting it sounds like the right idea right now. I love having my own elliptical - totally worth it.

Becky - you are making so much progress with your remodel? Are you almost done?

Bill - Brazillian BBQ is a tool of the devil I think.

Saef - I understand the boundaries thing too well. I let my work bleed into home too much. I talk about it, I worry about it, I send emails from my little smart phone, I log in from my tablet. Good luck firming up yours - I believe it will help, and wish I could do the same.

Chris - hang in there, you survived it with less damage than in the past and you'll get back on track.

:wave: to everyone else!

alinnell
11-28-2012, 04:43 PM
Oh, Shannon. I feel for you! The one year we went through 3 different payroll companies was a mess! It really screwed up our worker's comp reports as well--but that was mainly due to the 2nd company that we were "forced" into. The 3rd has been a Godsend. And now I get calls regularly from Paychex wanting us to switch to them. Ok, sure, they're less expensive and they claim they can do everything plus more than our current company, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Shannon in ATL
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
Allison, Paychex was one of the companies I interviewed after this one turned out to be so terrible (Paycom, incidentally) but we have a lot of fear of the new companies so we ended up going back to ADP. The devil you know I guess.

alinnell
11-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Allison, Paychex was one of the companies I interviewed after this one turned out to be so terrible (Paycom, incidentally) but we have a lot of fear of the new companies so we ended up going back to ADP. The devil you know I guess.

Oh, yes, it was ADP that really messed us up.

neurodoc
11-29-2012, 12:39 AM
I really have an awesome DH.

Since I posted 2 days ago, I have done some reading on “SSRI Discontinuation Syndrome” which is all over the internet on very unreliable sources but virtually absent from legitimate medical journals. Near as I can tell, it is rumored to consist of many things but includes all of the feelings I had during the acute phase of my withdrawal, and also covers my current irritability/labile mood. As Dagmar mentioned in her post, it can last up to 2 months (though mostly with Paxil and Celexa, not Lexapro), so at 1 month out, I am still well within that time period. Jen- many of the articles say things like “don’t mistake the withdrawal effects for a return of your depression; it’s not.” Not sure whether to believe them, but this does feel different from my memory of my last bout of depression over 15 years ago, which was marked by feelings of hopelessness, emptiness and nonstop grief.

For those of you advocating for a psychotherapist, I’ve seen a few over the years and have not found any of them useful in the long run. For me, they are a “band aid” solution to whatever is troubling me at the time, but the benefits never outlast the series of sessions by more than a few weeks, and then I lapse back into bad habits/bad thoughts or relationship woes. And to be perfectly honest, I believe that my issues are virtually all related to brain chemistry. That is, the same exact circumstance I can cope with perfectly reasonably one week will make me lose patience or hope when I am in a bad mood. I know, this undoubtedly reflects my bias as a neuroscientist and MD, but since I had my first episode of major depression at age 19, I’ve strongly felt that my mood is driven far less by external events than by internal brain chemistry. I’m jealous of those of you (like Saef) who have found real lasting benefit from psychotherapy. And for the many of you who asked, no I’m not on OC’s and never have been. Only thyroid hormone. I will need to get my TSH checked.

So as not to brood entirely on my own woes, some comments on other recent posts:
Saef, I too have the issue of mixing work and homelife constantly, and agree that it isn’t healthy. I find myself sneaking out of work to go exercise at the gym at 10 am, because I know I won’t get a chance otherwise (Megan, your gym/work comments really hit home too) and don't want to miss spending time with my boys in the evening. And then, right after dinner, in the time I had intended to spend talking to and playing with my kids, I end up going to my laptop to do catch up work left over from the day. Idiotically counterproductive. I’d be very interested to know if you find a system for separating the two more definitively.

ICU – when will your remodeling be completed, and what will you have remodeled when you’re all done? I’ve been “remodeling” our outdoors, with some landscaping earlier in the fall and now some outdoor lighting (yay; after 6 years of wishing for it!) and just now an electric “invisible” fence for our new dog (who, BTW, got neutered yesterday, poor baby).

Well, this is turning into a novella, and it’s 11:30 pm, so I’m going to stop even though I don’t feel like I’m really done “talking.” But not before I update my user profile to accurately reflect my overeating-induced scale change (over 2000 cal. today). Just another little benefit of being emotionally out of control for a month :(

Mudpie
11-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Andrea You are taking back control, by posting here and by addressing what's going on. You've gained back a couple of lbs., not 25 or 30.

I agree with your comments on depression possibly being a "brain" problem instead of an emotional one. It's hard to get doctors to agree to that though. Most that I have talked to see it as primarily emotional and want to see a combination of drugs and "talk" therapy.

I benefited most from group therapy - seeing that I was not alone in having the issues I had. And I like talking to therapists - it's "face" time with someone who can be objective about my problems. But @$125 per session I don't get to do that often.

I hope you find a solution for yourself.

bargoo
11-29-2012, 07:50 AM
Interesting talk about therapy. My oncologist refers all his patients to a therapist and I did go. Strangely, according to my oncologist some patients refuse to go, I have always wondered why. Dr. K didn't know why, either.

Megan1982
11-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Morning all,

It amazes me how a good workout can improve my mood so much. Speaking of brain chemistry, my brain definitely releases some good endorphins when I work out. After "failing" Tuesday I was determined to get to the gym before yoga yesterday. 40 minutes of stairmaster at the gym, followed by a yoga class where I requested core work (and boy did I feel it!), combined with the dog going to daycare, and everyone was in such a better mood last night. 2 of my 3 Thanksgiving #s are gone according to the scale. I think I could benefit from giving myself a little slack and believing in myself that I will "even out" the workouts when I can't get to them one day, as opposed to being as upset with myself as I was Tuesday night/yesterday morning. That's something I should keep in mind when frustrated - but hard to tell myself when I'm already upset. Does that make sense?

Tonight will mark the return of guitar night. My friends have had a few guitar nights while I was busy with my play, but not many and no one's been practicing enough. It should be fun. :) But I'm going to the gym and taking the dog out first. ;)

Andrea, it sounds like a little more research has given you some guidance to wait a little longer and see if these feelings change or go away. Hang in there, I'm sure the first month of withdrawal has seemed long enough. It will be easier to control your eating once your brain evens out some more.

Shannon, sorry about all the payroll woes. That sounds very frustrating.

traveling michele
11-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Megan-- makes total sense to me!
My emotional well-being is always tied to the scale which I despise. When the scale is up I am full of self-loathing and I beat myself up-- when the scale is down, I am happier and more positive about everything.

My scale is back down to my ticker weight, which means I'm happy for the time being.

traveling michele
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
I mentioned yesterday that I overslept which I never do. When I got home from work I checked my alarms (on my iphone) and they weren't working! The phone wouldn't make any sounds-- from ringing to alarms, etc. So, it wasn't me not hearing it!

I managed to get it working again after rebooting the phone but now I'm hesitant to trust it. When I googled the issue, many people said they'd had it happen repeatedly and some had to have the phone replaced. So now I need to set up a backup alarm as well.

alinnell
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
My alarm went off with the alarm today (I usually have it set to the radio). Scared the bejeebers out of the dogs and cats (and me!).

DD posted on Facebook just now:

"‎50 lbs lost as of today?

Best. Birthday present. Ever."

bargoo
11-29-2012, 11:40 AM
Allison, congratulations to your daughter ! That is a significant achievement. I applaud her for doing this while she is young. It only gets harder as we get older. Wish her Happy Birthday nad Congratulations from me !

krampus
11-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Congrats to your DD, Allison!!!

Megan1982
11-29-2012, 12:55 PM
Congrats to your DD Allison! That is wonderful! Good for her.

Michele, my BF is so paranoid about not waking up for his summer fishing charters that he always sets his phone and the alarm clock. Even with those he is usually awake before they go off, and doesn't sleep much at all for fear of oversleeping. Of course the rest of the time he has no trouble sleeping. This AM he had accidentally set the alarm to go off at 5 AM. He went right back to sleep. Me? Not so much. :faint:

Megan1982
11-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I just read a great post (http://www.refusetoregain.com/2012/11/our-seasonal-mantra-no-holiday-weight-gain-stick-with-me.html) on Barbara Belenky's "Refuse to Regain" blog about strategies to avoid weight gain during the holidays. It has good ideas, and is yet another little reminder to stick with the plan throughout the holidays!

traveling michele
11-29-2012, 01:53 PM
I just read a great post (http://www.refusetoregain.com/2012/11/our-seasonal-mantra-no-holiday-weight-gain-stick-with-me.html) on Barbara Belenky's "Refuse to Regain" blog about strategies to avoid weight gain during the holidays. It has good ideas, and is yet another little reminder to stick with the plan throughout the holidays!

Thanks for posting Megan! Great tips and I think I need to be following her blog!:dizzy:

bargoo
11-30-2012, 09:43 AM
I have made two batches of brownies this morning. I volunteered to be a Brownie Baker for an event at my church,fortunately I am only one among many others who also volunteered. I used a Betty Crocker mix, they are not that great. I tried one and didn't like it, that is probably a good thing.

Megan1982
11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Morning all,

Guitar night last night was fun. I can now change from "G" chord to "E" chord fairly seamlessly, but have forgotten a lot of my individual notes over the last 2 months. It was preceded by 40 minutes of stairmaster and 30 minutes of jogging the dog around the neighborhood, then a mad dash to get to my friend's. I brought the dog since BF is out of town and other than a quick lunchtime walk around the block, she'd been cooped up all day. She was very excited at first and ate someone's pizza crust sitting at coffee table level but after a few minutes calmed down. Maybe I can bring her every other time or so. I don't want to be "that annoying dog person" but feel bad leaving her home alone when I've already been gone all day.

Plans for the weekend include going to an art showing by a neighbor tonight, a downtown fresh market tomorrow where I hope to get a little holiday shopping down, and my yoga instructor is having a yoga dvd release party tomorrow night. Depending on the pricing I might get a copy for my dad as he's been doing yoga at home for several years and has asked for some yoga accessories for Christmas. The house is also very overdue for cleaning, and I need to get some more Christmas shopping done. I'm sort of hoping I can make due online and don't need to make a trip to the city on Sunday.

Bargoo, brownies are one of those things that I always think will be great and they don't often live up to that expectation. My palate really has changed and I just don't care for sweets like I used to. Not that I'm a saint. Cheese, on the other hand...let's not go there. It's nice of you to volunteer.

What are everybody's plans for the weekend?

ICUwishing
11-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Andrea, I hope you find a healthy equilibrium again soon. The out-of-control feeling is the one that drives me into truly strange territory. Feel free to write all the novellas you need/want; we're not going anywhere! :hug: We just finished a complete gut and rebuild of our main hall bathroom (yay!). Now we're under way on the major one - replacement of two big doorwalls, the front entry door, a sunroom door, two entry doors to the garage, replacement of the last original aluminum window plus creating a new window in our master bath, getting the porch and steps re-decked with composite lumber, covering/replacing our very worn and tired T-111 siding with a new housewrap and fiber cement composite siding, wrapping anything else that's wood with aluminum, new gutters/downspouts, and cultured stone along the entire face of the house between the siding and the ground. Phew! Doors and windows phase is done; siding is likely to start next week. I am not sure about the completion date, but if the weather holds, two weeks is the forecast. We're sort of hoping that this will be the end of outdoor repair, and a huge reduction in maintenance, til we die. :D Merry Christmas to me ... until that 50% final payment invoice arrives! :eek: Sympathies and pats to Loki!

Megan, I have never understood why I avoid exercise when it feels so good, for so long after doing it. It has its own built-in positive reinforcement - kids listen to that message just fine; why do I block it out?

michele, count me among the alarm clock victims! I have one of the artificial sunrise clocks and dearly love it ... but it seems to have suddenly developed an issue with the power supply. I've had it for 15 years so there's no downside for taking it apart and seeing if I can figure out how to fix it. Not crazy about my iPad replacement, hopefully temporary.

Allison, belated congrats to DD! It is definitely an awesome achievement.

bargoo, DH bought a cookbook called "The all-butter, cream-filled, sugar-packed baking book" and it's got the only recipe for brownies that I will knock things over to get to. Fortunately, they're kind of a pain in the butt to make and as I've mentioned many times, I'm pretty lazy.

This weekend begins the concert chaos. Saturday will be a 5K JingleJog (peer pressure), hunting down and slaying a Christmas tree, hemming choir vestments to precise lengths, and shuttling DS13 to Novi for December concert 1 of 7. Also going to revamp the bunny cage flooring, since I had exactly enough laminate floor tiles left over from the bathroom reno to replace their vinyl remnant. Perfect! Hopefully the laminate won't be quite as appetizing as the vinyl; they have nibbled their own scalloped edging around the sides. And since it's going to be freakishly warm ... I am determined to vacuum out my car. It looks, not unexpectedly, like I spend hours a day in it. :D

traveling michele
11-30-2012, 11:14 AM
Bargoo-- I would eat the brownies anyway. Brownies are one of my true weaknesses. I can't stop so I don't allow myself to start!

Weekend plans? Not much! We are having torrential rain which is no fun. I had to cajole Dewey to do number one (we never got number two and I gave up) by walking him out front with an umbrella. Dh is still gone so I'll have a relatively quiet weekend. Need to clean up the house.....

Beyond that-- yoga, the gym.... the mini cooper has to go in tomorrow morning so I'll bring my ipad and a book and hope it doesn't take too long. Might do Costco tonight after yoga if I'm motivated enough to bring a change of clothes and shower at the studio-- that is the one downside of yoga-- there is no way you can stop for any errands on the way home without showering first-- you are soaking wet from head to toe afterwards!

I have an author coming to school today for assemblies. I hope she's good!

ChrisMohr
11-30-2012, 11:39 AM
I gained 10 pounds in November. But before even coming home from the airport, Karen and I bought tons of fresh fruits and veggies etc at the health food store and we are now ready for December. Membership in this wonderful maintenance club requires that I get back into my ideal range, pronto. We actually have no parties or other eating events scheduled for over ten days so this should be good.

bargoo
11-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Michelle, the brownies aren't for me and I am not attending the event just dropping off my brownies. It is true that I never met a brownie that I didn't like but these are substandard, IMO.

krampus
11-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Ugh I'm all bloated. I wish I didn't live in the 2nd Buffalo wing capital of the world (Buffalo, NY is obv the first capital) - they are SO GOOD and so readily available.

It's hard to exercise discipline when you are a maintainer and it's the "holiday season" - I am hoping once my back is all better (it's mostly better but I'm seeing a Dr. today anyway, I'm due for a checkup if nothing else) and I'm back into lifting to capacity I will feel less like this:

http://www.howitworksdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Blobfish-300x200.jpg

bargoo
11-30-2012, 11:57 AM
-

Krampus, I find it hard to maintain discipline at any time of year.

krampus
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Hahaha. I do too bargoo but it seems especially hard now. It's like I never recovered from Thanksgiving overindulgence and suddenly feel like it is cruel and unusual to pass up eating Ben & Jerry's out of the pint (my boyfriend just had a double root canal and bought it for comfort food - me, no excuse) or go to the gym.

ICUwishing
11-30-2012, 12:03 PM
krampus - I saw that picture on "I F****ng Love Science" and laugh every time I see it. :lol3: Isn't Buffalo also the home of Dinosaur BBQ? DH went there once and just about flipped himself inside out - ate there every night the whole week he was there! He was even up for a road trip to do it again.

bargoo - ditto on the discipline. Living with a dedicated foodie has made life much tastier, but heavier. I don't refuse to eat too much - I just do my best to eat a little bit of everything that is sufficiently interesting.

Megan1982
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM
It took me a minute to figure out what that picture is. My brain first went to the picture of the volume that equal weights of muscle and fat take up. I'm sure most of you have seen it - just shows that 5 lbs of fat take up way more space than 5 lbs of muscle. Maybe if I look at this before each holiday event I'll stay OP better? I'm not usually one for printing out pictures and sticking them on the fridge, mirror, etc. but desperate times and all that... December through new years definitely qualifies! I went to CVS yesterday and the holiday food display was obscene. I consider it a victory that I came out only with teeth whitening strips so that my smile will be a little brighter for holiday photos.

traveling michele
11-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Bargoo-- I understand the brownies aren't for you but I can't even bake them to bring anywhere-- there would be too many "casualties" getting them out of the pan!

Chris-- we won't kick you out of the "club"! Good for you for getting back on track. I had been looking at my weight and realizing it had been slowing creeping up over the last 6-9 months which of course isn't good! Now I'm looking at my weight from a year ago-- when I first starting looking at it a week or two ago I was up 9 pounds. That was a red flag for me. Now I'm up 4 point something from a year ago. That is more manageable for me.

Gotta keep plugging away at it because the alternative sucks.

traveling michele
11-30-2012, 12:23 PM
Ummmm... what is the picture of??

bargoo
11-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Michele, sometimes I just have to be tough and I promise you sweets of any kind are my favorite foods. I have said if I ever commit a crime and get sentenced to the electric chair my last meal request will be a Hot Fudge Sundae and possibly a piece (or two) of blueberry pie.

WardHog
11-30-2012, 01:39 PM
Ummmm... what is the picture of??

thank you! I was wondering that, too ...

ICUwishing
11-30-2012, 01:44 PM
The picture is a "blobfish". No kidding! Here's a link - it's #8 on the list.
http://www.weirdworm.com/10-strangest-fish/

Shannon in ATL
11-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Bargoo - I've never had blueberry pie. I suspect that I would love it, so I must never, ever try it.

I'm greatly entertained by the blobfish pic.

saef
11-30-2012, 02:45 PM
I am so wrong about that picture, because I thought it was someone trying to copy the cartoon character Ziggy.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/64/Ziggy-cartoon.jpg

And Becky, no, the Dinosaur Barbeque originated in Rochester, NY, and moved from thence to Syracuse and also down to the city. It's very famous in the area where I grew up. I've never eaten there, on the theory that you can't crave or miss what you've never had.

ICUwishing
11-30-2012, 05:50 PM
Syracuse - oh gosh, just a little different from Buffalo. I apologize to the New Yorkers! Saef, thank you for the correction! I figured Dinosaur must have been memorable, since DH ran out an bought the cookbook. I'll have to flip through it and see what the fuss is about.

Mudpie
11-30-2012, 06:58 PM
I must stop reading this thread before dinner. Brownies, BBQ, I'm so hungry now I might even take a stab at eating the blobfish! :rofl:

Dagmar :hungry:

alinnell
11-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Well, the work lunch has been decided without me! LOL The guys want to do a carne asada barbecue--one guy has already volunteered to bring his BBQ. Everyone wants to contribute a dish, so I'll do signups so we don't have too much salsa and not enough tortillas. Whatever the guys don't bring, I'll supply. Done deal. Glad about that!

bargoo
11-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Potlucks all always fun, I have gotten some of my best recipes from potlucks.

ChrisMohr
12-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Thanks for not kicking me out of the maintainers club! In two days I lost 3.6 pounds of the 10 pounds I gained this month, by just standard dieting, low sodium and almost no sugar. The sugar cycle was really bad for me over Thanksgiving etc but to my surprise I had only a one-day sugar crash (oversleeping plus an hour nap and raging cravings). Yesterday I felt back on track, and my weight shows it. The next 6 or 7 pounds will of course be slower to lose but that is OK.

Cultivating gourmet tastes definitely helps me on maintenance. Junky-tasting brownies don't do much for me. If it's just a sugar and faux-chocolate delivery system, it's not worth it to me. My favorite acronym these days is ITWY (Is this worth it?). A treat had better be worth the calories or why bother?

It's funny to think of the maintainers thread as a source for temptation! Real-life temptations abound in my day to day life, so mention of potlucks and brownies here don't trigger me much. But I try not to get too graphic in describing my overeating here, because it can tempt me and all of you to at least some extent...

bargoo
12-02-2012, 11:17 AM
Chris, nobody gets kicked out, we all know the temptations that surround us....sometimes we give in to them , we are all human.

saef
12-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Chris, I'm actually fascinated by how often we talk about food in our chats & I think a lot about what it means.

As for whether a gourmet palate prevents one from eating junk: I can't decide if I have a more exacting palate, because I don't like the initial taste of a too-sweet or too-salty, artificially jacked-up flavor. (I said "initial" because after a few bites, I forget my laboriously learned tastes and wallow just as I used to.) Or if I have a dumbed-down & simplified palate, because, contrary to the behaviors of a lot of my acquaintance, I try NOT to obsess about new recipes and trying new things and feeding people spectacularly and showing off cooking skills, as this way leads to madness for me.

Sophistication about food is a kind of class marker & a sign of culture. When you're discriminating about food, you show that you've made it, you have the leisure & resources to learn about foods, to travel, to eat in restaurants, to try different ethnic cuisines, to spend time mastering cookery at home. And in some ways, I have turned my back on that because the primary criteria for me has become health, with taste second, and exoticism last of all. The order is somewhat reversed among my friends.

But my past history shows that I am subject to the binge/restrict cycle. And in order not to punish myself with overrestriction and self-recrimination, I really need to dial down the "binge" part. I have extended the my own personal definition of "binge" to any fetishizing of food or spending too much time over recipes or living a too-food-centric life.

It's hard to maintain that balance: My life is already far too food-centric because I have to work so hard at consciously making healthy choices instead of easing into the default setting of easily accessible junk.

JohnKY
12-02-2012, 01:47 PM
This conversation has me thinking about my own temptations and how I deal or fail to deal with them.

I'm curious about how many maintainers still blacklist some foods. I do. In some cases, entire classes of foods. Sometimes it's because they don't meet my cost/benefit ratio criteria. Or because I deem them too lousy a fuel. In others, I just don't think I completely trust myself as I know well I could set off some physiologic cycle of binging.

Saef, How can we not be food-centric as maintainers in an culture with a broken food system that heavily markets the poorest of choices? Here in Appalachia, any healthy attitude towards food or lifestyle is regarded as some kind of eccentricity.

CherryPie99
12-02-2012, 03:01 PM
I have found myself in a position that I never thought that I would be in. I was told by the dietician and MD that I saw that I should be no lower then 115. I also promised DH that this is as low as I would go.

Today, after running on the treadmill I weighed in at 113.8. I usually weigh 1.5 - 2 pounds less right after my long run, so I'm sure I'm at 115-ish. I found the old me inside my head justifying that I could now eat a whole bunch of candy I bought for my nieces and nephews for Xmas.

I didn't indulge, but I guess I'm going to have to up my calories a little - that thought is extremely disturbing to me!

Jen

bargoo
12-02-2012, 03:58 PM
It is going to be difficult to target a weight and never weigh less or more than that. If you can figure out how to do that you could make a million dollars. It is perfctly normal for weight to fluctuate by a few pounds, with me it is usually about two pounds either way. So what do the Dietician and MD plus your DH plan to do to you if you are 113-114 not 115 ? I can see if you are 105 , not 115 there might be cause for concern but a pound or two ! Sheesh ! ! I wouldn't let it bother me just tell them it is normal fluctuation and you are doing the best you can.

traveling michele
12-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Jen-- what Bargoo says makes sense......

When I worked at WW, we had minimum weights-- you can't weigh less than the minimum and still be a member, because you are underweight. I found myself teetering towards the minimum some months-- for me at 5'5", the minimum was 120. We definitely had members that were underweight and knew it-- they would weigh in their shoes/ jackets/ etc. while most of us strip down as much as possible! For your height Jen you aren't technically underweight (at least according to BMI charts) unless you are 98 pounds-- I'm sure you'll never be that low.

saef
12-03-2012, 08:38 AM
Today, after running on the treadmill I weighed in at 113.8. I usually weigh 1.5 - 2 pounds less right after my long run, so I'm sure I'm at 115-ish. I found the old me inside my head justifying that I could now eat a whole bunch of candy I bought for my nieces and nephews for Xmas.

Out of curiosity, what are you weighing habits? Do you always weigh in right after exercise?

The part that I pulled out & quoted: This is what you need to work on. Not dropping below your "promised" weight but your reaction to that occurrence. Some possible reactions:

1) Oh, well, that's lower than promised, but I kinda like it. Maybe it would be okay. Or even to go a little lower. (That would have been my thinking in my eating disorderish days -- I was always pushing to go lower even when my Better Half told me no, I shouldn't, and that everyone was telling me not to. There was no such thing as "too low." For other people, maybe, but not for me.)

2) Hey that means I can eat that particular food that I just coveted the other day, which has gotten itself lodged into my mind, so that I'm convinced that I need it, I absolutely HAVE TO have it. Of course, it's not a healthy food, in fact, it's cruddy, but it's something that once, I used to enjoy immoderately. It's okay, I've exercised it off already, in a sense. (This, in me, is the Voice of Temptation, and should NEVER be listened to. Because it's the voice of an accountant, in which exercise = permission to eat. I have never been able to get into the accounting mode without also crashing into eating disorder territory. Because you can't out-exercise a bad diet, as is frequently written here. And because exercise session then become a form of repentance and a form of self-flagellation.)

Is it possible for you to moderate your exercise regimen on the following day? For me, who clings desperately to the idea of exercise like a cross & garlic to keep the vampire of obesity away, this would be difficult, but it seems like a sane reaction.

Or would you be able to increase slightly your intake of healthy foods? Extra nuts? More fruit? Even a slice of whole-grain bread? Whatever you eat & enjoy that is actually good for you?