Weight Loss Surgery - Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)

View Full Version : Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy (VSG)

mxgirl737
11-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm 2.5 weeks out after having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I'm eating purees and feeling pretty good about that.

So far I've lost nearly 25 pounds! Isn't that insane?!

I was just wondering, are there other VSGers here?

19Deltawifey
11-24-2012, 08:51 PM
I had the VSG Oct. 2nd and I'm so happy I did. I wish I would of done it sooner :)

christyk28
11-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Hey! I had the sleeve on oct 3rd and I'm so happy I did it also :) welcome to our sleeve group lol.

minxie
11-25-2012, 12:29 PM
Hello Everyone! I'm 2.5 weeks out after having a vertical sleeve gastrectomy. I'm eating purees and feeling pretty good about that.

So far I've lost nearly 25 pounds! Isn't that insane?!

I was just wondering, are there other VSGers here?

Hi mxgirl --

I had my sleeve done on 11/8. I am also 23 lbs down! :carrot:

christyk28
11-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Hi mxgirl --

I had my sleeve done on 11/8. I am also 23 lbs down! :carrot:

that's awesome!!! congrats!!

sueBhoney
11-25-2012, 04:05 PM
I had the sleeve 11/6..I do wish I had done it sooner but I guess I wasn't in the right place..

Tesla1979
11-28-2012, 09:35 AM
So happy to see other VSGers!!!!! I had my surgery Oct. 29. Last weigh in was a couple of weeks ago, my scales at home aren't reliable, 10 days after surgery I had lost 16lbs!!! Congrats to you on your new journey!!!

jiffypop
11-28-2012, 10:12 AM
welcome aboard, Tesla! and glad you're doing so well -

NYCKnitter
12-01-2012, 06:13 AM
Hi! I had VSG done in July of 2011. As of this weekend I'm down 158 lbs and just under 200 lbs for the first time in so many years I can't count them. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

justducky2
12-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Going for VSG seminar on Monday! My doctor recommended it to put my diabetes in remission. Excited, and scared. Congrats to all of you :)

Jen
12-01-2012, 10:48 PM
I had my VSG last October. Best thing I ever did for myself.

christyk28
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Going for VSG seminar on Monday! My doctor recommended it to put my diabetes in remission. Excited, and scared. Congrats to all of you :)

you are going to do great!! and it is such a fun and amazing journey you'll be so happy you did it :)

Mom2Noah25
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I had my surgery in July 2012. Have lost 122lbs. in 6 months. Best decision I ever made for myself!

cmc1ross
01-08-2013, 11:44 PM
I had my surgery in July 2012. Have lost 122lbs. in 6 months. Best decision I ever made for myself!

If you dont mind me asking did you have the sleeve done because that is amazing results! I hope I could accomplish that goal.... Do you have any tips you could give me?

Mom2Noah25
01-09-2013, 01:04 AM
If you dont mind me asking did you have the sleeve done because that is amazing results! I hope I could accomplish that goal.... Do you have any tips you could give me?

Yes I had the sleeve done and I should have went back and rephrased that. 20lbs of that was lost on the 5 week liquid diet I had to do in June up to my surgery. All the rest has been since surgery. I was 430 at surgery and am currently 328. I get around 600 calories, 80-90g protein, 30 carbs or less and 30 fat or less. I track everything I eat and exercise everyday. Usually aerobics in morning after I take my son to school and then a 3 mile walk in evening with my husband. On weekends I get outside and play basketball with my son or we just started going to the bike trails on nice days and riding bikes. Just have to stick to plan and you will succeed.

cmc1ross
01-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Yes I had the sleeve done and I should have went back and rephrased that. 20lbs of that was lost on the 5 week liquid diet I had to do in June up to my surgery. All the rest has been since surgery. I was 430 at surgery and am currently 328. I get around 600 calories, 80-90g protein, 30 carbs or less and 30 fat or less. I track everything I eat and exercise everyday. Usually aerobics in morning after I take my son to school and then a 3 mile walk in evening with my husband. On weekends I get outside and play basketball with my son or we just started going to the bike trails on nice days and riding bikes. Just have to stick to plan and you will succeed.

Thank you so much for responding... I am sure I will have to do the liquid diet.. How was it? I havent had my first appt yet so im sure I will learn there its just nice to know a little bit before I go in.

Mom2Noah25
01-09-2013, 04:23 PM
Liquid diet wasn't that bad I just got bored with it quick and that's why I was on it for so long because I cheated a few times and didn't lose the weight surgeon had wanted so he rescheduled my surgery. After surgery I stuck to plan because I didn't want any complications. Just remember it's only temporary and you will be able to eat regular food again.

cmc1ross
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Thank you so much for you advice and sharing your experience it makes me a lot less nervous knowing there are other people out there to talk too!:)

Cuter w Curves
01-12-2013, 11:15 AM
January 8th, 2013.

*very gently does her happy dance*

SheenaB
01-22-2013, 12:48 AM
Hello!
I live In BC, Canada and I finally have a consultation date on
April 11th!! I am both excited and nervous because I want this done so bad, but I'm scared I wont be approved for it. I have thought about WLS A LOT in the past, but it wasnt until these last several months of unsuccessful dieting attempts that I decided I just can't do it on my own. So after a ton of research I chose VSG for many reasons. Yes it is invasive, nonreversable surgery, but to me I feel a little better about having just my stomach removed as apposed to my stomach and insides rearranged.

I look forward to reading all of your success stories and gaining knowledge through your experiences.

If there are any other Canadians on here I would love to ask you some questions.

Have a gread day!!

Sheena

mommyto3
03-04-2013, 10:07 PM
I had my sleeve in July 2012 as well. I weight 283 on the day of surgery. Today I weigh 155. I would weigh 20 lbs less is I could have my extra skin removed. I wear a size 8 pant an small/medium top. My losses weren't speedy, but they were consistent and I was good with it. I still lose 1/2 lb here and there. My decision to have the sleeve was, without question, the best decision I ever made in my life!

jiffypop
03-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Deborah - glad you found our little corner of 3FC. So tell us - do you have to take vitamins? how has your diet changed? with the rny, the lapband, and DS, most of us are eating a bit more protein - is the sleeve the same deal?

glad you've found the way that works for you - that's the real key to any weight loss plan, even surgery

Shyne
03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
I'm in Australia!!!

My Sleeve is booked for April 8th - Super Excited!!

Any other Aussies?

Caring4myself
04-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Still doing my 12mth insurance required program. Hope to have my surgery in September!

christyk28
04-07-2013, 01:18 PM
I'm in Australia!!!

My Sleeve is booked for April 8th - Super Excited!!

Any other Aussies?

Tomorrow's the big day Shyne!! Are you super excited? You're going to do great! Can't wait to hear how you're doing!

canadianwoman
04-17-2013, 09:51 PM
I'm glad I have found this thread because I am considering having a VSG procedure done.

Jpye
04-18-2013, 07:48 PM
I am 14 weeks post op and down 45 pounds!! I have 46 to go. This is the best thing I have EVER done for myself! :D

Shyne
04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
Tomorrow's the big day Shyne!! Are you super excited? You're going to do great! Can't wait to hear how you're doing!

Hellooo!! Thank you
It went great, a few hiccups but I'm already almost 2 sizes down and I'm only 3 weeks post op. I LOVE my sleeve :) :carrot:

thinkfit
04-29-2013, 10:58 PM
I'm one appointment away from finally getting to talk to my surgeon about which procedure I want, as I'm still in a tossup between the band and the sleeve. Have either of you had any downsides you don't mind sharing? I mostly see people talking about how much they love their sleeve, but rarely what they don't love about it! I know everything has it's ups and downs and I'll be sure to talk about it with my surgeon, just curious how people are doing with it. :)

19Deltawifey
04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I only have one downside to the sleeve and that's my *slow* weight loss. Since it's restriction only some people lose slower without the malabsorption component. I still have 60 pounds till my goal of 150. My NUT explained to me that having the sleeve is no different than restricting calories with your old (whole) stomach. You're not malabsorbing anything! I'm losing WAY faster than I did on my other dieting attempts but it's no where near as fast as some others. Even with all that being said I wouldn't change a thing and I have zero regrets about having surgery. I'm losing about 3-6 pounds a month, which is a normal healthy rate of loss, so no complaints here :) Other than that I can't think of a downside that I've experienced. I'm soon to be 7 months post op and I still have great restriction and can only eat about 1/2 cup of food, so that's about 3 oz of meat per meal and I'm satisfied. My NUT told me to stop counting cals and measure my food. I eat 3 meals a day (1/2 cup each meal) and 2 snacks (1/4 cup of food each snack). WLS is only a tool and you may find that you still have to measure or count cals. Some people don't have to but I'm not that lucky lol.

ETA: I personally wouldn't get the band and have to worry about constant fills/unfills or a foreign object in my body that could erode over time but I have seen people who were very successful with it. There's this one lady she has a facebook page and I think her name is Wendy (she has youtube also) and she's had her band for about 6 yrs (+/-) and she raves about it and has maintained her loss ever since she reached goal several years ago. She post about her menus and exercise routine, she's a model patient! Oh her facebook is "proofwlsworks" or something like that. I got rid of facebook so I can't send a link but she's very open about her surgery and I'm sure you can message her about her experience with the band. Good Luck with whatever you decide :)

mlk58
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
I had the sleeve three years ago and am happily maintaining at my goal weight. I was also a slow loser -- it took me a year to lose my 56 pounds -- but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I would never consider getting the band because of the potential for complications and the fact that so many people end up having to have the band removed. My surgeon told me, "Getting the band is just the beginning of the process; getting the sleeve is the beginning and the end!" and I am so happy I listened to him!

thinkfit
05-03-2013, 02:10 AM
Oops, I canít believe I missed the replies! I just made a new thread for my question (here (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/280913-vsg-question.html#post4728510)) because I realized I was kind of taking this one over from mxgirl737/the purpose of the thread. Sorry!