PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2003, 09:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/266/143

Height: 5'6"

Default YASMIN birth control, low carb diets, PCOS...

Hello, I'll just give you a little background information on me. I am currently 20 years old, and a Sports Medicine major. I grew up in a small community in southwest Virginia with small-town doctors. I remember having a period one time when I was 13, but then not again until I was placed on birth control at my first gynecologist visit at 17 years old. My small town GYN seemed clueless as to why I hadn't had another period for 4 years.

Recently, I had my pelvic exam with one of the student doctor's here at the University. I told her about my amenorrhea and she said we would get this figured out. I came OFF of birth control for four months and voila, no periods. I had my blood taken after being off BC and they found imbalances in Lieutenizing hormone and Follicle-stimulating hormone which are problems associated with PCOS.

This is all very new to me. As a Sports Medicine major, my professors have constantly ripped on low-carb diets. However, I'm a low-fat vegetarian eater. Lots of juice and fruits, etc. Now I know that I have been struggling with weight because my body has been working against my so-called "good" habits.

I know I need to change to a low-carb diet. Low-carb diets have been associated with potassium deficiency as well.... I also know that I need to get back on birth control because not having periods decreases bone density and causes osteoporosis.

The birth control YASMIN has been shown to help women out with potassium probs and it seems like a logical choice for us. Anyone on it?

http://www.yasmin-us.com/home.html
Old 04-30-2003, 10:08 PM   #2  

The reproductive endocrinologist I was seen changed my pills from a tri-phasic to the Yasmin in June of last year. I haven't had any problems with it, my periods are much lighter and less crampiness. As far as helping with the PCOS, I haven't had my blood levels checked since I changed, but I imagine they couldn't have gotten any worse!!
Old 05-05-2003, 05:31 PM   #3  

Hi! I think you and I have a lot in common! I too am a vegetarian for about 9 years now. I am pretty much opposed to high-protein diets but I certainly respect a person's right to try it.

Practically everyone I know has been on at least one of them (Atkins, Zone, etc.) and nobody I know lost weight and kept it off. I tend to think that the diet is unhealthy, especially for the heart.

Well, maybe it is not the diet itself but the way that people interpret it. I have read the Soy Zone and it seems like a fair and balanced way to eat but I don't think that people use the diet this way.

Everyone I know who follows a high-protein plan just eats a bunch of meat and nothing else. Of course they lose weight but anytime you remove a food group from your diet you will lose weight (at first anyway).

Personally, I think there are other ways to treat PCOS and changing my diet was something I chose not to do. I just try to eat healthy, whole and balanced foods as much as possible.

I have been on Yasmin since I was originally diagnosed with PCOS last year and I LOVE IT. It has worked great for me and I can't say enough good things about it.

But, be prepared, there is a huge storm of controversy regarding this form of therapy, especially on this message board You will probably get some responses telling you that Metformin (or something similar) is the only "true" therapy for this disease. There are several people here who believe that BCPs treat only the symptoms and not the disease. I have talked to several doctors about this. They disagree with this logic and say that everyone is different and should use the treatment that works best for them.

In my case, I don't exhibit a lot of the same symptoms as some of our PCOS sisters here. All I have that meets the criteria is increased testosterone levels, darkened areas in skin folds, and increased hair growth. My doctor says that exercise keeps my insulin levels stable and I have not experienced problems with conception because I have never tried to have kids.

But let me tell you about Yasmin. For one thing, it has been the only BCP I have ever taken that doesn't make me crazy and moody. Since taking it, my unwanted hair growth has slowed considerably. My temperment is more balanced now. I get regular periods (which are lighter now than ever). My testosterone levels are lower and I feel great. I have noticed some weight loss (which could be a combination of the pill and regular exercise).

There are a few negative things I noticed. My insurance won't pay for it (but I have crappy insurance) and since taking it and getting regular periods I now experience slight cramping and headaches during my period where I never did before (but I am not sure if that is from the pill or just from changes in my body).

Well, I hoped this helped! Email me if you have any more questions.

Betty
Closed Thread