WW Food and Point Issues - Have I Got This Right?

View Full Version : Have I Got This Right?

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here. Never thought I would say that I would be counting calories, but here I am on Weight Watchers.

I'm 25 years old, female, 5'5", currently 168 lbs. I started Weight Watchers about a week ago, now. When I started, I was 170 pounds or so. So I guess it seems to be working so far.

Anyways, what I am wondering is... am I starving myself? Is Weight Watchers just a widely accepted form of starving yourself? Because the numbers are just... baffling.

I am allowed 27 points per day. 1 Weight Watchers point is almost exactly worth 40 calories. That's 1120 calories per day. That goes below starvation mode! Then I come on here, and people are ranting in the forums about NOT using your weekly points, or to just use a few, or to NEVER use your activity points. How do these people function with so little calories and food in their stomachs?!

I'm always hungry! People say to fill up on veggies, but they just don't fill me up. I can only eat so many before I get sick of them. Another way to stay full is by whole grains and proteins - but they eat up so many points, so I can only have a little bit before my points run out.

I do eat very healthy. I also go to Bootcamp five days per week. But it just seems that my points are pretty much gone before I know it. And I am not using it on crap. I also notice that Weight Watchers seems to promote artificial sweeteners - sure, it's low in calories, but what it lacks in calories it makes up for with lots and lots of chemicals and added crap to make it that way. I've never had a diet soda in my life.

I even have myself a Weight Watchers cookbook, but cannot use half of the recipes because the ingredients they use are just diet crap. I'm not going to use a cup or two of fat-free egg substitute from a carton - that's just wrong. I think people see something as fat-free and get so excited, but they don't seem to wonder *how* they made it that way. I've went to the grocery store and got to see most of the ingredients on a few official Weight Watchers products. It's kind of gross, actually!

I really don't get it. I really do feel like I am starving myself, and in the process I feel like I am being encouraged to buy into all this low-fat chemical laden crap. In the end, I'll be skinny - but will I be healthier? :?:

Thanks for listening to my rant. I'm sure this made one heck of a first impression, huh? :dizzy: I want to lose weight, but I also want to be healthy. But I am not sure 1120 calories per day is going to get me there...

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Are you eating your activity points? With boot camp 5 days a week you would earn a lot of points.Use the 49 points as well that is what they are for. That way you can eat more grains and protein without it eating up your daily points.

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Have you tracked your food on a calorie to site to know it is 40 calories? Not doubting just wondering. Are you meeting all of your good health guidelines?

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:36 PM
No, I haven't eaten my activity points because I am afraid to... so many people in these forums have warned against not eating them. I ate all my weekly points, though. And I still feel hungry. Lol.

Jeez I feel like such a glutton.

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Yes - I did the protein/fiber/carb/fat numbers to get the actual PointsPlus number. Then I took the number of calories and divided it by 40. It came out to the same number every single time. I have confirmed through a lot of math that 40 calories is indeed the equivalent to 1 PP.

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Eat the activity points you won't be hungry.Lots of people eat all their points and still lose weight.

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Make sure you get in all your health guidelines.The oil will help keep you full longer.

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Yes - I am getting plenty of veggies, especially. Fruits. I get my proteins, healthy fats, whole grains... it's all checked off by the end of the day.

I'll start eating my activity points too and see what happens.

seagirl
11-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Eat your weekly points. And your fruits and veggies will add a few hundred calories to each day, that will get you closer to 1500 calories a day, which is where you should be. The daily points are just a base, your weeklies and your fruits and veggies are a vital part and will get your calories up where they should be.

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
Also you have the option of going to 29 points.

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:50 PM
29 points? Why is that?

mkookies
11-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks, seagirl. You're right - I did the calculations for daily + weekly + activity points, and that has me closer to 1,500 calories daily - that is much more reasonable. Thanks. :)

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I was a tweak that WW did to the program last year.Originally the lowest points you could be allotted was 29.They gave people the option to drop as low as 26 if they were not losing on 29 pp. If you were losing well without the drop you could stay at 29.No matter if they give 26, 27 ,28 you can choose to be at 29.It is all in how you lose and if 26 isn't satisfying your appetite.

mkookies
11-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Thanks, fitbyforty! I might try that to see if it works. :)

You guys have been very helpful. Thanks!

fitbyforty
11-17-2012, 04:24 PM
Good luck!!

Jennifer 3FC
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
Are you mixing points and points plus? Don't use the 40 cal formula you are using. The new plan has 4 variables - carbs, fiber, fat and protein. Also, you get freebies of fruits and most vegetables - zero points. And you have 49 weekly points and activity points to add in if you need them. It's not a hard plan to learn, but it is complex. I would strongly recommend going to a nearby meeting location and signing up, at least long enough to learn the ropes. :)

Edited to add: Lovely wrote a great FAQ on the WW Points Plus Plan here:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-watchers/253246-ww-pointsplus-faq-ww-lifetime-faq.html

It's very informative!

BreathingSpace
11-18-2012, 04:36 PM
I was a tweak that WW did to the program last year.Originally the lowest points you could be allotted was 29.They gave people the option to drop as low as 26 if they were not losing on 29 pp. If you were losing well without the drop you could stay at 29.No matter if they give 26, 27 ,28 you can choose to be at 29.It is all in how you lose and if 26 isn't satisfying your appetite.

That's kind of important information that they're not giving anyone! LOL. I just started the program 5 weeks ago and I never heard that.

I, too, get 27 points. I find it just right for me, but definitely yeah there are some days I'm hungrier than normal and I probably do an extra 2 points just to get satisfied.

One of the things I do now is when I feel hungry, like at the end of the night when I'm done work and finished hot yoga and feel like I could have another meal, I just eat a banana. It stops the feeling of panic I get when I feel hungry and then I can make a better snack decision.

Maybe too you could alter your meal plan so you are getting a little more protein to keep you satisfied? I could give you a sample of my meal plan if you like for ideas (i eat the same thing all the time).....

Koshka
11-25-2012, 02:59 PM
I tracked both calories and points plus for about a year. For me, a points plus works out to about 37 to 38 calories. If high protein or high fiber loser to 40 calories.

However to just take that and multiply it by 26 or 27 is really not accurate.

First, veggies and fruit are zero point so they don't fit within that formula. From at various things, I think the WW base assumption is that if you are meeting the Good health guidelines you are getting about 250 calories a day from fruits and veggies. Some people get more, some get less. If you want to know for you, look at what fruits and veggies you eat and then figure out how many calories you average for those a day.

More to the point - the program is based upon the concept of everyone having 49 activity points per week. That averages 7 per day so at 38 calories a point that is another 266.

So someone at 26 points a day, eating 7 weekly points a day and 250 in fruits/veggies would be at about 1500 calories a day, which is fine.

While weekly points are optional - they are also part of the program and part of what WW considers in determining how many calories you are getting. If WW figured they nobody ate weekly points and balanced calories based upon eating 0 weekly points then people who do eat weekly points wouldn't lose or would gain. The program isn't set up that way. It is set up so that you can eat weekly points and still lose. This isn't true for everyone but it is true for most. Some people eat all their weekly points every week, a few never eat them and I would suspect that most are somewhere in between.

kelijpa
12-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Something to think about since you said you just started.

A former leader of mine once said that you should eat all of your points when you are starting out, think about this, when you lose weight you will be getting less points. You may not lose as fast in the beginning, but you are in it for life, so don't cheat yourself out of your future points. That was her philosophy, she's been in awesome shape for many years, so I'd say it works.

If you don't eat enough your body will think you are starving it and go into storage mode instead of burning mode like you want it to. If you're hungry all the time, you're probably not eating enough, listen to your body, maybe you're lacking some vitamin/nutrient that is making you feel hungry.

Also, make sure you're drinking your water, sometimes thirst can be mistaken for hunger.

Oh yeah, and don't forget about the healthy eating guidelines...

Just some ideas, best of luck to you!
:sunny: