Old 11-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #1  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Default Fast Food Eye Opener

So I was discussing IP with my best friend (childhood BFF that lives 1175 miles too far away from me). We were talking about the $$$ of food that we were eating before IP vs our current grocery bills. I was looking up what the lowest carb thing you could find at McD's was and found their Full Menu Explorer. Interesting!!!

Go here and hover over each menu item to see all the depressing nutritional facts

Use the sort by "catagory - total carbs" to see each menu item ranked in # of grams of carbs from 0-111 grams. Wowzer!!!

Which left me wondering (and I may contact McD's to find out for future reference of course) just how many of the carbs in a plain ol' hamburger are the bun itself?!?!?! Agree here that we won't even mention the fat etc cuz we can't have anything more than a modified Premium Bacon Grilled Chicken Ranch Salad - minus tomatoes, minus dressing, add our own WF during a dire emergency
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #2  
IP Start: 8/15/12

S/C/G: 286/217/158

Height: 5'6"

Not surprising at all. Fast food is definitely guilty of adding sugar and fat to make everything taste good. I'm proud to say I have stayed away from the devil in disguise for 12 weeks now. And I can say I don't crave it at all like I used to.
stargirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #3  
Ready to reboot

S/C/G: Reboot with 140 as my goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
And I can say I don't crave it at all like I used to.
Me too. I can go through the drive through and say with confidence "All I want is a large ice tea with lemon, lite ice, in a plastic cup" and they ask what else I repeat my self. And when they ask what else I repeat myself. Cuz you know, they have to up sale I guess.
Great Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #4  

I gave up fast food a long time ago and don't remember the last time I ate at one unless you count the Subway salad which I don't. I dont even trust the salads mcD's and everyone else makes!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #5  
Started IP Alts 9/8/12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
Which left me wondering (and I may contact McD's to find out for future reference of course) just how many of the carbs in a plain ol' hamburger are the bun itself?!?!?!
If you click on individual items, you can customize them and figure out nutritional data adding or subtracting things.
Doctorblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 03:38 PM   #6  
~Tara~

S/C/G: 258/ticker/135

Height: 5' 2"

It's depressing when you see how easily carbs sneak into prepared foods, even in places you wouldn't expect. I was shocked when IHOP (I think it was them, or maybe Denny's) started advertising that the secret to their fluffly omelettes is a ladle of pancake batter in the eggs before cooking. So if you're planning on joining the family out for breakfast because you think ordering an omelette will be safe, I guess it's best to ask "what is in these eggs, other than eggs?"
GoalFor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Yeesh, not that long ago I could put down three or four things on this list in one sitting. That's like 3 times the calories what we eat on IP in one day!!!!

Tara, I didn't know that!! That's really depressing. Blech.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #8  
Diane on track July 2014

S/C/G: 230/221/180

WOW -- That McD link was frightening! 96 carbs in a mcflurry? And that would just be the DESSERT not the burger + fries. YIKES! I might have gained a pound just reading some of those figures!
IP43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 181/163/140

Height: 5'5

I found this to be helpful.

http://http://www.livestrong.com/art...rb-fast-items/

Last edited by time4changenow; 11-14-2012 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Forgot to add message
time4changenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:20 AM   #10  
IPA

S/C/G: 255.4/251.2/180

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalFor40 View Post
It's depressing when you see how easily carbs sneak into prepared foods, even in places you wouldn't expect. I was shocked when IHOP (I think it was them, or maybe Denny's) started advertising that the secret to their fluffly omelettes is a ladle of pancake batter in the eggs before cooking. So if you're planning on joining the family out for breakfast because you think ordering an omelette will be safe, I guess it's best to ask "what is in these eggs, other than eggs?"
It's IHOP that does that. They add pancake batter to their "fake" eggs before scrambling them to make them more fluffy.

I have a Krispy Kreme Donut Shop 2 blocks from my home. In the summer, with my windows opens I can smell them. It's like a mouse with a piece of cheese..nose in the air, sniffing away. I've learned to ignore that "HOT NOW" sign.
AliKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:58 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175/See Ticker/135

My boss, who is on Phase 4, came in the other day with a toasted sandwich from Subway and started eating it right in front of me while giving me things to do. I was like, "What are you doing?! I can't eat that!" He immediately grabbed it and apologized, but of course I was just kidding. I definitely miss bread, but places like Taco Bell or McDonald's which I used to eat a lot of, I don't miss one bit. It's just bread. Lol.
IPbeginnerNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/135

Great info! Good to know that I can't eat anything other than a plain salad at McD's. Going to be avoiding that place like the plague. It's also scary to think about how many carbs are added to our foods.
sahmmommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 243/211.5/150

Wow, pancake batter in eggs and butter/sugar on steaks!?! No wonder there is a health crisis! Eating out is hard to do.
OCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 158/143/143 BF%= 28.6/23.9/25

Height: 5"7'

I have to tell you guys it's not just fast food that's guilty. It's almost ANYWHERE you eat out. See, my daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic. We avoid eating out not necessarily because of the health factor initially (She is a child before a diabetic and there is nothing wrong with her eating whatever she wants, IMHO), but what it does to her long term. I can bet I will be up all night chasing high blood sugars from the delayed "fat spike" that comes from eating out - no matter where we go or what she orders, even if we think it's "healthy". It's kind of sad...
RN2b4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:07 PM   #15  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN2b4me View Post
I have to tell you guys it's not just fast food that's guilty. It's almost ANYWHERE you eat out. See, my daughter is a Type 1 Diabetic. We avoid eating out not necessarily because of the health factor initially (She is a child before a diabetic and there is nothing wrong with her eating whatever she wants, IMHO), but what it does to her long term. I can bet I will be up all night chasing high blood sugars from the delayed "fat spike" that comes from eating out - no matter where we go or what she orders, even if we think it's "healthy". It's kind of sad...
Amen to that. My husband is also a Type 1 (diagnosed at age 9) and it's so frustrating that no matter what, there seem to be "hidden" carbs everywhere. Plain meat is often marinated in something with sugars, the sauces on veggies are often loaded with "fillers"...you can't get away from it except to cook yourself.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote