Overeaters Anonymous - What do you do when your home alone and all that you can think about is eating?

BleuMaus
11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
So yeah.....
What do you do when your home alone and all that you can think about is eating?

seagirl
11-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I clean my kitchen. Then my bathroom. Then dust the baseboards, all the bookcases, etc. Then I go for a walk. Or I write in a journal. Or I lie on the floor and do stretches while watching a movie. Or I lift my weights. Or I have a cup of tea.

What are some things you might do?

atmos
11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I live alone - so I'm alone a lot. It's definitely enabled my binging.

Sometimes I just have to sit with the thoughts and fight them. Basically just sit and not move until the feeling passes. If I want to eat because I'm angry/upset, I feel better if I can motivate myself to kickbox. It's a great outlet for aggression.

Crocheting keeps my hands busy. I have a chore schedule that I try to complete everyday. I just recently put together an exercise schedule too. Sometimes I get out of the house to run errands, shop without buying anything, or go for a hike. Also a couple hobbies that get me out of the house for meetings/practices.

I also try to remember my health goals. I jump on 3FC and browse the forums and remind myself that food may temporarily numb whatever is making me feel less than, but it's not going to fix the problem. I window shop online, especially with business clothes because one of my goals is to look and feel great at an upcoming conference. Last year I had to run out and buy new dress pants a size bigger the day before I left because I binge ate my stress of preparing my presentation.

Darby1
11-12-2012, 10:08 PM
Hot tea works for me. Also, I go through magazines/catalogs and pick out all the things I'll be able to wear when I lose weight. I straighten my closet and find clothes I will be able to wear soon. Or get on the phone with somebody you haven't spoken with in a long time.

Good luck!

Beck
11-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Another tea-drinker here; I drink lots of herbal and green teas sweetened with stevia. I also pop on 3FC; it helps to bring me back in focus.

AilsaPearl
11-12-2012, 11:24 PM
I drink tea, occupy my thoughts somewhere else IE cleaning, listening to music and fidgeting around, paint, color, call someone, and if worst comes to worst I just leave my place and go for a quick walk

drixnot
11-12-2012, 11:51 PM
read a book.

Calmontflor
11-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Do something active instead of passive - poke around the garden, walk the dogs, journal, figure out if I'm angry and hit or break safe things if I am, call old friends out of town, write a real letter and mail it, bead cheap jewelry, draw whatever I feel like with soap paints on the shower wall. Back in my old state I used to chop wood and/or go for a swim, too.

geoblewis
11-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I do one of three things. I clean something (because there's always something that needs to be cleaned or organized) and I find something to watch on TV that is really compelling for me. And has no commercials. And then, I also end up on the computer where I surf the Net, pay bills, participate in some online education, or watch the commercial-free TV or movies that I love.

I guess there's a fourth thing...I set a timer until I can eat again. No going into the kitchen until the timer goes off.

seabiscuit
12-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Now that I am back in OA, I sometimes pick up a piece of literature such as one of their recovery books, go to an online meeting, make an outreach phone call, go for a walk, do tasks around my home, etc. If I feel hungry, I sometimes ask myself if instead I am really thirsty and have a beverage that I consider abstinent/safe.

Take care :hug:

melfitstar
12-28-2012, 10:22 AM
I am the same way, and while having a strong personality is good for some things it does not seem to be so good for discipline with respect to food. I can plot out all the chores or errands I want, I can even look at the list as I eat. It's hard for me. My therapist recently told me about HALT, which I think there are more, but when when you go to eat you're supposed to ask yourself if you're hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. I thought it was silly, but does actually help me identify why I'm eating and then gives me a chance to address the actual issue. If not physically than at least mentally and emotionally. Recently I also started keeping 5lb weights by my couch. If I want to go eat, I do a couple sets first and then reconsider munching. And generally chug some water or crystal light.

wendyland
12-28-2012, 12:33 PM
I like the HALT idea. I'll use that.

I drink hot tea or have broth with chopped kale. I make my own broth with chicken wings. It's so good. I try to keep busy cleaning, knitting, organizing a closet, go for a walk, look at pictures, play a game on my ipad, call someone.

vabs
12-28-2012, 02:47 PM
If I can, I go out for a walk and listen to a book on tape. If I can't, I try to find some TV shows online to watch (love Korean dramas! No commercials and you can watch a bunch of episodes at once). Sometimes coffee helps, so another vote for hot drinks. Drinking a bottle of water can help sometimes.

If that fails, I'll make a very light salad with lettuce and low cal dressing, and eat that as a snack.

Also, if it's a ton of junk food in the house, I will throw it away PRONTO. I hate to waste food, but me bingeing on it is bad, too. I am not a trash can.

Angeldove97
01-03-2013, 07:52 AM
I go to an online chat- there's one that has an OA online meeting every 3 hours. If anybody is interested in the site, send me a message- don't want to publicly advertise.

blog
01-22-2013, 01:00 AM
So yeah.....
What do you do when your home alone and all that you can think about is eating?

I find someone to talk to, and if no humans are available, I talk to god. (Sorry god, I'd put you first, but I'm new to this whole prayer thing.)

Sometimes, when I find myself circling the kitchen, staring into my fridge like the answer to life is in there, I meow at myself. 'Cause I'm acting like a cat waiting for dinner and trying to convince the human to bring it on two hours early. That makes me giggle, which helps break the spell.

Crunchy Pip
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Drinks lots. I find diet pepsi and 9 cal jelly works as it expands in your stomach and makes you feel bloated and full.

PhattyHipChix
02-01-2013, 03:09 AM
I brush my teeth when ever I just can't stop thinking about eating, it helps because nothing taste good after you brushed your teeth. I also try to keep cucumbers and lemons on hand s to snack on if I just have to eat something. I also stay away from the TV as it makes me want to eat if I'm vegged out in front of it, so I do allot of book reading.

themilesawaygirl
02-20-2013, 07:15 AM
Sometimes, when I find myself circling the kitchen, staring into my fridge like the answer to life is in there, I meow at myself. 'Cause I'm acting like a cat waiting for dinner and trying to convince the human to bring it on two hours early. That makes me giggle, which helps break the spell.

I love this! I might try it next time I go to the kitchen for the 4th time in 10 minutes! :)

Aztec1
06-15-2013, 05:45 PM
Please can I have the online OA meetings information they would really help me as incouragement and supportI go to an online chat- there's one that has an OA online meeting every 3 hours. If anybody is interested in the site, send me a message- don't want to publicly advertise.

madelinerose94
06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I do something which takes my mind off it. Whether that be exercise or read or surf the Internet. If I can find something which captures my interest, I usually forget about eating just because there is nothing else to do.

Alternatively, I have a large glass of water. I then wait about ten minutes and contemplated whether or not I am hungry. That usually helps too. (:

IanG
06-15-2013, 06:01 PM
I drink beer.

Emma4545
06-15-2013, 06:04 PM
Gum. I eat the whole pack. It takes about 1 hour to chew it and something about eating the sugar free gum seems to kill the appetite.

Big Fat Rooster
09-01-2013, 06:20 PM
I see this is a very old thread but I am going to post regardless.

I know that I am not responsible for what pops into my head, but I am responsible for what I keep there. To entertain the thought of eating is an act of self torture and will eventually lead to eating.

I have a pact with myself to not eat except when I am hungry, and I do not allow myself to get very hungry. When I am hungry I eat something. I have a card with a list of things I like to eat along with the calories for the portion size I do eat. I then select one or more of them, depending on how many calories I have already ate if applicable. I do not eat breakfast until I am hungry either, that is often close to noon.

As Madalinerosa says a few posts above, I also first ascertain whether I am really in fact hungry. I drink a glass of water then occupy myself with something else of a type that keeps my mind occupied and that often fixes it. However, if it has been a long time since I ate I will just go ahead and prepare something and eat it, usually staying down around 300 calories.

wishing you all the best

B F R

newleaf123
09-01-2013, 06:46 PM
I go for a walk around the block, which is a 1-mile loop. Not at an "I'm doing this for exercise" pace, but at an "I'm strolling about" pace. Or, as many other people have said, I drink tea.

love2b150
09-01-2013, 06:54 PM
The first thing I do is get on 3FC to refocus. It has helped me in the past though I'm not home alone much now, before I was a SAHM so I needed to stay out of the kitchen. I also chew Extra Speriment gum, it helps and drink water. I find that if I put 4 bottles beside me it will definitely help.

lena8787
09-01-2013, 10:50 PM
I will fill a tea jug with warm water and ginger and lemon and sip at that. Some times though I just have to wait the urge to binge out, for me it will normally disappear in an hour or two at the most.

IanG
09-01-2013, 11:59 PM
I drink beer.

swtgila
09-11-2013, 08:29 PM
I just stumbled on this (old) thread too. I'd like to comment for what it's worth. And there are some good, and helpful suggestions here, which I will take and try out. I like the ginger and lemon in warm water idea. Love the chicken broth with kale. I do chicken broth, but never thought to try kale in it. Sounds good and healthy. I take walks, I also do hot tea...I love Earl Grey actually. I can get really bored with tv unless I have a project to occupy my hands, a craft of something. I believe in being aware of HALT and use it regularly. I call my sponsor, or a another recovery friend. I read OA literature and journal.

The online site someone mentioned is the TRG.org. (the recovery group). They have online meetings every 3 hrs. I first learned about it and OA on 3fcs, so I think it's ok to share it. We are supposed to take the message of OA and recovery to other compulsive eaters, so no anonymity broken sharing the site. :-) Peace!

Melonlefey
01-08-2014, 05:50 PM
If I really need to eat something and I'm feeling hungry, I'll make one of those 100 calorie popcorn bags because you get a pretty big amount of popcorn for so few calories. If I can tell that I'm not actually hungry, I'll suck on a lolipop or hard candy or chew gum to distract myself, because a lot of times that's enough.

Pattience
01-08-2014, 06:17 PM
I did a 24 fast the other day so i experienced plenty of thoughts about eating.

If you are resolved to stick to your plan, as i was, then its easy enough to find things to distract yourself with. I found lots of small easy activities to do and took regular breaks between my lazy activities like playing backgammon online or watching a movie and even took an afternoon nap. Keep breaking up time. A bit of cleaning, a few garden chores. Keep the boredom at bay since that's largely also why we feel like eating all the time.

But ordinarily, if i am hungry, or really struggling, i would go for low calorie foods. Even if you have to have a sandwich. Just keep it as healthful as possible. Soeimtes i have a cheese sandwich, or a bowl of fruit salad, All depends on how bad the cravings are and what will do the job.

Bascially if i eat real food, i won't feel i've let myself down to the point where i quit my diet and go the whole hog. But if i do then generally its all over for me. I know many here would not think a cheese sandwich is healthy or diet food, but in my book it is. wholegrain bread, not much butter if any at all, and a couple of slices of real cheese. Not plastic cheese or low fat cheese. Food has to taste good.