Old 11-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #1  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Default Did this ever happen to anyone? (concerned!)

So, I am on a low carb diet. I have been on it since August with an occasional planned cheat day. Anyway, things have been going great until this morning. I don't know what happened!! I got out of bed, I felt like I had chills, I was shaky, and I almost passed out. Everything started to go black. All I could think was that I had low blood sugar. I don't have diabetes (I was tested last year) but this happened to me twice in the past over the years.

Anyway, I knew I needed sugar so I grabbed an apple. I didn't think I would make it to the fridge. It helped greatly. Then when I felt better I had a low carb slimfast and a thin slice a cheese for breakfast. So, because of the apple, there goes my low carb diet which is ok. I am still below my calorie limit but anyway, how strange! Did this ever happen to anyone else?

Am I doing something wrong? Should I not do the low carb diet? I am a stay at home mom and I am afraid this might happen again when my husband is at work. He was actually out this morning getting a paper so he didn't know what happened until I told him when he got home.

Last edited by Stars; 11-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Height: 5'6"

I had dizzy spells when I was at my lowest calorie and sodium levels. Mine were likely due to low blood pressure, especially when standing up quickly or standing for a long time. You should go get bloodwork done to make sure that everything is in normal ranges. Do you know how many calories you have even eating?
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If eating the apple helped greatly, it probably was low blood sugar (if it had been something else, the apple wouldn't have helped much).

You don't have to be diabetic to have blood sugar issues. I always thought that I couldn't do low-carb diets, because they always made me shaky and nauseous (and I actually passed out twice and came close many times).

It never dawned on my to eat "just enough" carbs to keep these attacks from happening. I just assumed all low-carb diets were dangerous (at least for me).

Then several years ago, my diet suggested low-carb but warned me not to go too low. I asked what was too low, and he admitted that he had no idea.

So I started experimenting and for the most part I now know how low I can safely go (and I usually carry a small snack with me in my purse if I'm not going to be able to eat regularly).

I've found that there are usually subtle warning signs before the "about to pass out" phase. If I catch these signs early enough I don't have to eat carbs to adjust my blood sugar. Protein and fat will work as well. However, if I don't notice the subtle signs, and I'm in the "about to topple over" stage then it will take a carbier snack to help (or at least help fast enough that I don't panic).

It's a very horrible, scary feeling to feel like you're going to drop any second, so it can be very tempting to reach for stuff that helps instantly (like pure sugar), but also metabolises so fast that the problem can occur as soon as the sugar rush has past. I've learned that while I might reach for a piece of fruit for the instant fix, I have to follow it up with a bit of protein/fat so that I don't experience another blood sugar plummet a little later.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:30 AM   #4  
Almost there!

S/C/G: 212/163.8/130

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone! It was definitely scary. I had some left over halloween candy so I took a couple bars and put it in my purse and a few rooms just incase this happens again. I think part of the problem is that I am doing Intermittent Fasting along with low carb. I think I will continue doing low carb but not such a small window of IF.

Kaplods, thank you for posting what you posted. It was definitely helpful and I am sorry you experienced passing out. But yeah, when I felt I was about to pass out, I really got scared! I never want to experience that again! How horrible!

Last edited by Stars; 11-13-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Stars is offline   Reply With Quote