Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss - before/after pics after skin removal

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 02:50 PM
Hi everyone,

I have lost 90 lbs and decided 6 months ago to go ahead and have surgery... a 'Mommy Makeover' of sorts. Not matter how much I worked out (6 days a week for 2 hours a day), there was nothing I could do about the stretched out skin.

I had a lower body lift plus breast implants.

The pictures are taken a few days ago at 3 weeks post surgery so I am really swollen and that will last for some time but it gives you an idea of the change.

Thank you to Jen for the inspiration to do this! :hug:

ETA: I weigh the same in all the pics... 150 lbs

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e232/saragairdner123/before_after-1.jpg

OntarioGirl35
11-10-2012, 03:08 PM
Amazing results! Wow...this gives me so much hope for the type of results I can acheive even if I am left with a lot of loose skin.

11-10-2012, 04:14 PM
You look fab, very impressive! Hope you're pleased with the results :)

seagirl
11-10-2012, 04:29 PM
You look great!!!

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Amazing results! Wow...this gives me so much hope for the type of results I can acheive even if I am left with a lot of loose skin.

Thank you! :hug:

I wanted to share because the before/after pictures of others is what gave me the courage to follow through with the surgery. Some people are lucky (coupled with good genetics) in the weight loss process and don't end up with a lot of excess skin, I was not one of them and was left feeling very deflated that all of my hard work was for nothing. I wanted to look like how I felt... strong & healthy. The doctor repaired my separated ab muscles (4 inches) and an umbilical hernia at the same time.

Thedollylala
11-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Wow that gets me excited to have mine done when I get there cause I have a feeling I'll need one

kisskiss
11-10-2012, 05:13 PM
thank you for sharing! I still have a long way to go before I am at full goal, but it's nice to know if I do have a lot of excess skin, I have options. you look awesome, and congrats on you weight loss!

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 05:28 PM
Thank you everyone! :)

juliana77
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
Wow! You look great! We could almost be twins in your before pics. I have mostly convinced myself I don't want surgery, but I'm waiting until I'm a year out before deciding for sure.

saef
11-10-2012, 05:54 PM
I look like your "before" picture -- and our height and weight is really similar -- so I find your pictures particularly fascinating.

Damn, you look good. Like, really, really good.

I know I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this. I had pretty much decided that I'd never undergo surgery, but these pictures ...

Again, congratulations for your hard work & also for your braving the surgery and getting through what must have been considerable discomfort afterward.

Yes, Jen is inspiring, isn't she?

saef
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
(One thing, though, Mom3LoveBugs. Your breasts are freaking me out a little. It's not that they're not shapely. It's that, with the censoring, which I understand of course must occur on a G-rated public forum, they look kinda like when people get red-eye from flashbulbs. Your poor nips must be seeing stars!!! ;-)

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Wow! You look great! We could almost be twins in your before pics. I have mostly convinced myself I don't want surgery, but I'm waiting until I'm a year out before deciding for sure.

Good plan! I have was hovering between 150-155 lbs for 10 months before I did my surgery. I NEVER wanted surgery before losing weight but the more I lost, the more obvious it became that the skin wasn't going away on it's own.

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 06:25 PM
I look like your "before" picture -- and our height and weight is really similar -- so I find your pictures particularly fascinating.

Damn, you look good. Like, really, really good.

I know I'm not going to be able to stop thinking about this. I had pretty much decided that I'd never undergo surgery, but these pictures ...

Again, congratulations for your hard work & also for your braving the surgery and getting through what must have been considerable discomfort afterward.

Yes, Jen is inspiring, isn't she?

I understand how you feel. I was the type of person who always considered cosmetic surgery as something I was not interested in nor thought it was personally necessary. That was before I lost the weight though. After I had my first consultation with my surgeon, he worded it as reconstructive surgery opposed to cosmetic.... that shifted my mind set and made me realize that what I was doing was necessary FOR ME.

Yes, Jen is very inspiring! I have a cousin who has lost 250 lbs now and will be having a lower body lift in the next few months too. I stayed with her to recover after my surgery so it gave her a really good idea on what to expect.

lol... too funny about my boobs!

I *could* have benefited from a breast lift but my doctor had reassured me I would be happy without one (he also could not do the lift coupled with the lower body lift as it would make the surgery too long). I am not interested in having any more surgeries so it is what it is and nothing a good bra can't fix. I just wanted some volume back! :)

Lambiechop
11-10-2012, 06:33 PM
You look wonderful! What made you choose to go the lower body lift route vs just a tummy tuck? And do you mind if I ask how much for everything? You can PM me if you're not comfortable sharing. I'm looking at having the same surgeries next summer.

Edited to add: Also maybe the name of your surgeon? I'm in WA state and for results like that I would not blink at travelling north, lol.

ChickieChicks
11-10-2012, 06:42 PM
You LOOK amazing! I bet you FEEL amazing, too! :)

I got the upper half done, and have been so happy with the results. Your surgeon is awesome!

jumphigh
11-10-2012, 08:44 PM
Looking Good enjoy your life and your new body thanks for sharing

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Thank you for the kind words, everyone. It's really appreciated.

I received a message from a moderator that someone complained about the pictures so in order not to offend anymore people, I will request to have it removed. :(

Lakilaulea
11-10-2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for sharing; your surgeon did amazing work. And congrats on that weightloss! You must be soooo ready for swimsuit season!! :)

rainydays
11-10-2012, 09:58 PM
Holy wow!! You look FANTASTIC! You've made me start thinking too...

caryesings
11-10-2012, 10:07 PM

Agreed. I had honestly not considered the surgery for myself figuring that it would just add more scars to a body that looks just fine clothed. But after seeing this...

Mom3LoveBugs
11-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Agreed. I had honestly not considered the surgery for myself figuring that it would just add more scars to a body that looks just fine clothed. But after seeing this...

That is how I felt initially at first too! After really thinking about it, I decided having the scars was not that big of deal to me and a trade off I was willing to make to get rid of the skin. Besides, I had to hide that skin in clothes so it wouldn't be a big deal to hide the scars instead, KWIM?

I have NEVER in my life worn a bikini and that was in no way a driving factor for me... it was all about how I FELT and had nothing to do with how I looked. Like you said, in clothes I looked pretty damn good. That is why I struggled so much with this decision... unlike people who have lost a lot more weight (200 lbs or so), you could physically not see my hanging skin in clothes. With that being said, it really came down to having NOTHING to do with anyone else but myself. This was all for me. :)

Megan33
11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
You look fantastic!!!!!!

sontaikle
11-11-2012, 06:32 AM
Wow, thanks for posting these. You look amazing!

I have to say, I'm also suddenly thrown into the camp of considering surgery. I look a little like your before picture, although to a lesser extent.

I haven't had children yet though, and I think it's best I wait until I'm done having them before I consider anything.

Thedollylala
11-11-2012, 08:23 AM

I received a message from a moderator that someone complained about the pictures so in order not to offend anymore people, I will request to have it removed. :(

That's crazy, what about modifying them a little, and making the circles a little bigger. Some people are much too sensitive. I'm sorry someone complained

dorrie
11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Amazing Results!!! Does it take along time for the scar to fade? I would love to do my wings on my arms. They bug me along with all my stretch marks...

saef
11-11-2012, 11:58 AM
For photographs like this, the context means a great deal. To me, these are primarily medical in intent.

And unlike a lot of photos used in advertising by cosmetic & plastic surgeons, they're unbiased.

I feel this website is a place where I can go for the truth, the absolute real-life lowdown truth on what it's like to deal with being fat in this society, with trying to adopt healthy habits in eating & exercising, with losing weight, with bingeing, with maintaining, with what happens to our bodies when we've lost a lot of weight.

This place helps combat a widespread misconception that if you are obese, and you lose the weight, your life is perfect and your body is perfect and everything's okay forever after.

My loose skin is such a weird thing for me. I feel often that it sets me apart from others around me. I don't see anyone else at our gym in my classes or in the dressing room who has it, because no one there has lost as much weight as me. I work terribly hard. I have muscles like other people who work hard. But I started off fat, so I will never look like them. It's frustrating. But I can come here, and see these photos, and confirm what loose skin looks like. Where else can I do that in an unbiased setting? And there are people popping up in this thread who have the same issue. And it feels so good to know that I am not alone. Because I feel alone with this body thing so often.

Mom3LoveBugs' post and pictures are invaluable to me for that reason. So I hope that will be taken into consideration. Perhaps the photos can be modified a bit more, but please, please, leave them up in all their honesty. It was so brave of her to share them. I love that braveness. I love that impulse to share & confide in us. I love this site for supporting us all in that way.

Nostalgia
11-11-2012, 12:14 PM
wow, your results are awesome. Congratulations on the weight loss and taking the brave step to get the surgery. You have inspired me. We're almost the same heighth and our starting weights are close. This is my first week so your pics have given me the motivation to stick to it and get the job done. Thanks, Janet

Thedollylala
11-11-2012, 12:30 PM
For photographs like this, the context means a great deal. To me, these are primarily medical in intent.

And unlike a lot of photos used in advertising by cosmetic & plastic surgeons, they're unbiased.

I feel this website is a place where I can go for the truth, the absolute real-life lowdown truth on what it's like to deal with being fat in this society, with trying to adopt healthy habits in eating & exercising, with losing weight, with bingeing, with maintaining, with what happens to our bodies when we've lost a lot of weight.

This place helps combat a widespread misconception that if you are obese, and you lose the weight, your life is perfect and your body is perfect and everything's okay forever after.

My loose skin is such a weird thing for me. I feel often that it sets me apart from others around me. I don't see anyone else at our gym in my classes or in the dressing room who has it, because no one there has lost as much weight as me. I work terribly hard. I have muscles like other people who work hard. But I started off fat, so I will never look like them. It's frustrating. But I can come here, and see these photos, and confirm what loose skin looks like. Where else can I do that in an unbiased setting? And there are people popping up in this thread who have the same issue. And it feels so good to know that I am not alone. Because I feel alone with this body thing so often.

Mom3LoveBugs' post and pictures are invaluable to me for that reason. So I hope that will be taken into consideration. Perhaps the photos can be modified a bit more, but please, please, leave them up in all their honesty. It was so brave of her to share them. I love that braveness. I love that impulse to share & confide in us. I love this site for supporting us all in that way.

I agree 100%!!

Lolo70
11-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Wow. The results look amazing and make this transformation totally worthwhile. I have been blessed with elastic skin so far, but am deflating upstairs. This got me thinking.

westcoast rosa
11-11-2012, 05:10 PM
You look fabulous! We have fairly similar starting/goal weights and height, so when I saw your pics I called my husband over to show him. We are done having kids, so the plan is for me to get the surgery after I have maintained for a year. This is so inspiring!!

BreathingSpace
11-11-2012, 05:22 PM

I don't really get what is so offensive about the human body, um, we all have one!! LOL.

I second the request for the name (or at least clinic) of your surgeon as those are fabulous results and I may be interested in the future in having surgery and I live in the same area. You can PM me if you don't want the info to be public.

You look amazing! thanks for sharing.

westcoast rosa
11-11-2012, 05:34 PM
I don't really get what is so offensive about the human body, um, we all have one!! LOL.

I second the request for the name (or at least clinic) of your surgeon as those are fabulous results and I may be interested in the future in having surgery and I live in the same area. You can PM me if you don't want the info to be public.

You look amazing! thanks for sharing.

I just saw you live in B.C. Me too! I would love PM as well with the surgeon's name, etc.

Mom3LoveBugs
11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Thank you for all the kind words... I really appreciate it! :hug:

If you are interested in finding out my surgeon's name, private message me and I would be happy to share.

I am just over 3 weeks out since my surgery and I have had ZERO complications. The hardest part is not being able to exercise and I am only allowed to do light walking until I hit the 8 week mark.

I had diastasis recti (4 inches of separated ab muscles) and an umbilical hernia repaired at the same time so the internal sutures are what take the longest time to heal.

Sum38
11-12-2012, 04:00 PM
You look beautiful!!

PS I can't believe that someone complained....what on inspiration you are.

healthyangie
11-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow - really amazing! Those complainers are just jealous! Your boobs rock and so does your belly! :D

Mom3LoveBugs
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
You look beautiful!!

PS I can't believe that someone complained....what on inspiration you are.

Thank you! Yeah, people are weird sometimes... ;)

Mom3LoveBugs
11-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Wow - really amazing! Those complainers are just jealous! Your boobs rock and so does your belly! :D

Thank you so much! :hug:

Sum38
11-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Thank you! Yeah, people are weird sometimes... ;)

I for one, HOPE that your photos won't be removed!!! We need to see more positive end results to keep ourselves motivated and on path.

Enjoy and make sure your flaunt that beautiful bod of yours. I would!! :D

healthyangie
11-12-2012, 04:45 PM
I for one, HOPE that your photos won't be removed!!! We need to see more positive end results to keep ourselves motivated and on path.

Enjoy and make sure your flaunt that beautiful bod of yours. I would!! :D

Agreed! This is a REAL person who went through a REAL transformation! We should applaud and be honest about these journeys!

Mom3LoveBugs
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
Agreed! This is a REAL person who went through a REAL transformation! We should applaud and be honest about these journeys!

That was my intention... to simply show what can be achieved if you are left with a lot of skin after substantial weight loss.

I am happy that there are numerous people who can see it for just that.

CherryPie99
11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!! I am so happy for you! Other then losing the weight, having the skin removed was the best thing I could have done, and it sounds like you feel the same way!

You look fantastic!!

Jen

Mom3LoveBugs
11-12-2012, 10:14 PM
CONGRATS!!!!!! I am so happy for you! Other then losing the weight, having the skin removed was the best thing I could have done, and it sounds like you feel the same way!

You look fantastic!!

Jen

Thank you!

I'm not quite there yet... I'm only 3 weeks post-op... but yes, I believe this will be one of the best decisions of my life. :carrot:

MumofMany
11-18-2012, 08:57 AM
You've had fabulous results! I had my tummy tuck and lipo done after massive weight fluctuations (and 7 large babies!) left me with horrible saggy skin. I wasn't at my goal weight but I had it done anyway, and since having it done I've found the motivation to go further and lose more weight.

Here's my before and after - not quite as dramatic as yours but I'm really pleased. I feel sexy in my own skin again, even if I'm not super skinny, and that for me was worth every penny I paid. I'm even going back in January to have my breasts uplifted and enlarged.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/263888_10152092434935401_638000425_n.jpg
This photo was taken 3 months before surgery and 6 days after surgery.

MsBrightside
12-04-2012, 03:34 AM
Thank you for being brave and posting this! It gives many of us hope! I know there are lots of us who worry about extra skin and what our bodies will look like after weight loss. So, you posting this really gives us hope! You look amazing and I am so glad these pictures are still up. Really has me thinking now. :)

StephanieM
12-06-2012, 12:26 PM
It's neat seeing your results, we have similar stats and I often wonder how my stomach will look in the end.

And look at all the BC people! It's weird to see so many of us in the same place :)

bargoo
12-06-2012, 09:11 PM
I thank you for showing your pictures, many people just don't understand what loose skin is. I do, because I have it, a lot of it. I am not going to have surgery because of other health issues but I definitely would if it wasn't for that.

riverbend
12-07-2012, 02:52 PM

That post needs a Like button! ;)

Mom3 you are an inspiration.

I did the mommy makeover a few years back as well. Like so many others, prior to losing weight I was one of those people who scoffed at women with implants and swore natural was better. I'd always considered the tummy tuck because my kids just ruined me...but I always assumed it would be too expensive.

Then I lost all the weight, turned 40 and my once full C turned A- cups decided they were going to race my stomach to reach my knees! ;) Thankfully, the surgery didn't turn out to cost as much as I thought it would. ;)

One thing I've found is that having invested all that money, I'm way WAY more careful about keeping the weight off. I'm a repeat offender - lost over 70lbs...twice!

Anyhoo, despite a few people's discomfort, obviously these pictures have encouraged and given hope to many more!

Vex
12-08-2012, 12:02 PM
I've seen some post op similar surgeries before, and wow, your skin certainly looks the best out of all of them.

I'm curious though, with the lower body lift, did you see improvement in your thighs? I have issues with extra skin around my thighs and even down at my knees and wonder if the lower body lift is the trick or if it's a different procedure.

CherryPie99
12-08-2012, 05:02 PM
It's a different procedure. Right after I had my LBL it pulled some of the thigh skin tight, but as soon as the swelling went down, my thighs went back to "normal" which means a TON of extra, horrible looking saggy skin :(

novangel
12-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Wow! Your doc did a fantastic job! I want implants so bad I wish I had the nerve...and the money.

Mom3LoveBugs
12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Thank you everyone!

I am so happy that I did this for myself! :D

knoxie
12-16-2012, 07:25 AM
You look amazing! And thank you so much for sharing your photos. Loose skin is talked about a lot and I know I'll have more than enough of it to go round, but it's not often that someone shares their pictures for the rest of us to see what the reality is and what's possible. Congratulations on your weight loss and your awesome body!