Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Running vs. walking

I'm doing a c25k program. I'm a bit all over the place with scheduling my runs, I can't seem to fit it in at the right times between working and being a mommy. My knees are a bit sore, nothing serious I don't think but still it makes me nervous. It makes me question, should I be running at all? If walking a mile briskly and running a mile burn roughly about the same calories, then maybe I shouldn't be putting myself through this when I could just walk with a stroller and not worry about scheduling in runs?

Why is running better for you than walking?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #2  
Nicole

S/C/G: 252/ticker/150

Height: 5' 10"

Do running and walking really burn the same calories? I know I could never walk as fast as I can run, and I'm even a pretty slow runner. The number I hear thrown around is that running burns 100 calories per mile. According to my bodybugg, I burn a lot more than that running, and my weight loss agrees with my bodybugg. I burn 1.5-2 times as many calories running, depending on if it's an easy run or if I'm really pushing myself.

Perhaps I just don't walk briskly enough, but running definitely works my core and, to a lesser degree, my shoulders. Plus there's the runner's high and all the races with the cool shirts and race bling.

Anecdotally, my knee pain is all but gone since I started running over the summer. The only time I have a problem with it now is related to my other monthly ailments.

Plenty of people lose weight with walking, and running isn't for everyone. I think picking one you'll stick with is more important. Running can take some time to warm up to though. It took me a good 2 months to start enjoying running.
Nikel1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #3  
Heading Downtown...

S/C/G: 225/165/165

Height: 5'8"

The question I would ask myself is... Why do I want to take up running? And probably more important... Do I enjoy running?

Obviously an hour of running is going to burn more calories than an hour of walking... So if it's just about trying to burn the most calories than running is going to give you the most bang for your buck...

Personally I love running and have all my life... and yes I've had my share of injuries along the way... And yes it's been pretty tough at times... But I would never trade the sense of self achievement that running has given me.... from finishing 5k's to marathons... not to mention all the wonderful friends I've met through running and all the fun that we have had over the years...

So for me running has changed my life for the better and not only become part of my lifestyle, but actually become part of who I am...
TripSwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:09 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Thanks, that helps me return to my motivation. I just found this which was very helpful too http://peakperformance.runnersworld....will-you-burn/
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I was never a runner, always a walker and I've lost weight in the past through just walking. I can walk for an hour, I can't run for an hour.

I took up running when I was turning 40 (hello midlife crisis) I still don't like it very much, it hurts in a way walking never has, and I don't do it to lose weight. The couple hundred calories I burn isn't going to make a difference. But its fun to do obstacle course races with my friends, and I can pretty much do a 5K too.

Don't think you have to run to lose weight. Only run if you want to run.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 210/185/137

Height: 5'8"

Interestingly enough, there have been a few times in my life when I've gone for a run and something has gone amiss and I've had to walk the rest of the way home...and you know what? My calorie burn is the same more or less...it just takes twice as long.

So is running a more efficient way to burn calories? Yes. I'd also argue that running works different muscles than walking so both could be beneficial in different ways. Run if you want to run.

If your knees are concerning you I would address that but that doesn't necessarily mean you have to back off running completely. After my first half marathon my knee decided to get sore every time I went for a run. It was incredibly frustrating and an issue I'd never had before. All it took to fix it was a foam roller and some interval workouts to get me back in shape. Your knee injury might be fixable.

It takes time to get to the point where you enjoy running. I'd give it at least a month of a solid effort before calling it quits. I love running now, but I don't think anybody loves it when they first start.

Last edited by gymrat05; 11-10-2012 at 02:43 PM.
gymrat05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/265/130

Height: 5'5

You certainly don't have to run. Many people lose weight by power walking, cycling, swimming, dance, whatever. For some folks with joint issues, running is painful. For painful joints (I have tendonitis in my shoulder and tight IT bands in my legs) I swear by the stretches found in The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. I'm too new here to post a link...but google it, and it's readily available on Amazon.

Great book that helps you trace your pain spot back to its source...which is usually not one in the same. Pretty incredible stuff.

If you can keep the pain at bay, running can be very inspiring (if you allow your body to slowly adjust to all that pounding).

Good luck

Last edited by TechieTechie; 11-18-2012 at 10:01 PM.
TechieTechie is offline   Reply With Quote