Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default Organic Meat/Veggies??

I went to a small cooking class this week focused on using organic foods. We have a few organic farms in the area plus Whole Foods (an hour away), Fresh Market, etc., so I have easy access. I'm thinking I'll start now to learn to eat a healthier overall diet when the weight is gone. My question is this, do any of you eat this way and find it makes a difference for you in your health, weight loss or maintenance? Pros/cons? Likes/dislikes? I'm a simple person and there's so much information out there, it's overwhelming.
rcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

I have a 7 month old, and a 3 year old, so for them, I try and buy exclusively organic.

If my budget allowed, I would probably buy more organic for myself and my husband (I try to buy non-GMO products even if non-organic). Personally, I think organic is better for the environment, and some things have been shown to have more nutrients, but I don't know if it would help or hinder my weight loss.

Some organic vegetables will not last as long as their waxed and coated counterparts. They may also be dirtier and have a stray insect here and there. So, other than a little extra washing, I haven't really found much of a difference.
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #3  
Reboot 9/2014

S/C/G: 198.6/173/165

Height: 5' 8"

I don't actually go out of my way to buy organic - In many cases (esp in big box supermarkets), you are paying for the expensive certification process but it doesn't mean the food is higher quality. I buy from my local farms as often as possible, they can't necessarily afford to pay for the Organic certification, but I can get to know the farmer and trust in their processes.
scorbett1103 is offline   Reply With Quote