Atkins - *New Years Challenge*

View Full Version : *New Years Challenge*

Violet73
11-05-2012, 10:31 AM
Let's get a jump on our New Year's resolutions and lose some weight before New Years! Who is in? I've lost 10 pounds so far with doing low carb/Atkins and I'm going to try to lose 20 more before New Year's :)

canadianwoman
11-06-2012, 03:14 AM
I will join you. I'm starting the old 1972 Atkins diet in the morning (November 6). I am moving to a new place the day before New Year's day and I want to lose several pounds before doing that.

Violet73
11-06-2012, 12:25 PM
I will join you. I'm starting the old 1972 Atkins diet in the morning (November 6). I am moving to a new place the day before New Year's day and I want to lose several pounds before doing that.

A new place and a new YOU! Good for you :)

davematthewsband
11-06-2012, 06:48 PM
I'm in! My goal is between 10 and 20 lbs down by New Year's. I leave the range because I tend to plateau and then "whoosh" - even though my body feels like it is changing throughout. Excited to continue on the journey with you all!!

rho1640
11-07-2012, 05:05 PM
:cp:I'm in - going for a low goal this time I figure I can add to it if I go by -

and my NS Goal is to do 12,500 steps every day ....

Laurlie
11-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I'm in! My goal is 15lbs by New Years!

NS goal is to get back into running - 4 times a week.

carvinmom
11-08-2012, 09:50 PM
Count me in,, im way over due for a tuneup!! I will also ride my recumbent bike once a day , which is a big commitment for me. I tend to slack of exercise equipment.. Looks like winter is here so wont be going out the door much. With two new knees im so scared of falling. I took a nasty fall last month and it sure has made me gunshy. I will be lowcarbing and using atkins which has always worked for a good program. good luck everyone...

davematthewsband
11-09-2012, 08:18 PM
My other goal is to rejoin our nearby gym - at least for the winter months. My kids are finally old enough that I think I'd trust them in the childcare room, which I guess takes away my final excuse that my hubby gets home too late for me to go. When I'm in the swing of things, I look forward to my gym time. I've managed to take 5+ years off, though, so it's just making that first step that feels overwhelming. But I can do it!!

rho1640
11-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Yesterday was a test in resolve -- went out with the girls - went to Panera for dinner -- ate the Asian Sesame Salad with no wontons and the sauce on the side - and happily counted the 15 carbs for a great treat then we went to the new James Bond Movie "Skyfall" which was good

but I got home at 10:20 and walked in front of the tv to get the last half of my steps in ... so 12,660 steps done YAY

mom2threebratz
11-11-2012, 07:37 AM
i'd like to join but not sure what kinda goal to make since i'm starting atkins tommorrow....any suggestions would be helpful. either way i'll post a goal soon

calee
11-11-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd like to join in as well. My goal is 5-10 pounds by the new year. I've been at a plateau for months so this will take some work!

mom2threebratz
11-12-2012, 07:04 PM
i'm gonna go for 20lbs mainly cause i expect a bit more with just starting

AnaBee
11-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi all. I'm in. I have gained so much weight this year but back from a holiday today and about to go shopping for good food. My goal is to stay on plan every day.

jammy255
11-13-2012, 03:28 AM
Im in, I want to lose 20lb before the years is over!
start: 255
goal: 235
prize: Leather Croc Embossed Burnt Orange HandBag

Plan:
Low carb & exercise most days of the week!

LovingLibra2
11-13-2012, 11:09 AM
I'd love to join, but I can't do a weight goal...can I make my goal a size 14 by the beginning of the year?

Roo2
11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
my Goal is 10-15lbs by New Years!!! that would be a WONDERFUL way to be bringing a New Year in for me! 2012 has been a challenging year for our family but we have come through with a sense of what we are made of when put through trying times . I made a decision to change what I had control over which is my weight. I have the Support of a Dynamic coach who keeps be inspired to believe and make a plan to achieve my goals and not give myself excuses why I can't but reasons why I will! I Love Ideal Protein!!

rho1640
11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
i'd like to join but not sure what kinda goal to make since i'm starting atkins tommorrow....any suggestions would be helpful. either way i'll post a goal soon

Why don't you make a smaller goal like 5 lbs then you can change it - You will probably be changing it a few times - but rather than saying 20 lbs and maybe not making it and being disappointed it is better to go smaller. Plus it is holiday season so there will be some things you aren't tempted by normally ...

rho1640
11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Hi all. I'm in. I have gained so much weight this year but back from a holiday today and about to go shopping for good food. My goal is to stay on plan every day.

Yay AnaBee -- glad to see you .... not yay for the gain ;)

rho1640
11-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd love to join, but I can't do a weight goal...can I make my goal a size 14 by the beginning of the year?

you can make your goal anything - In my opinion -- the key thing is the support here :D

rho1640
11-13-2012, 01:34 PM
my Goal is 10-15lbs by New Years!!! that would be a WONDERFUL way to be bringing a New Year in for me! 2012 has been a challenging year for our family but we have come through with a sense of what we are made of when put through trying times . I made a decision to change what I had control over which is my weight. I have the Support of a Dynamic coach who keeps be inspired to believe and make a plan to achieve my goals and not give myself excuses why I can't but reasons why I will! I Love Ideal Protein!!

I totally understand the decision to change what we have control over -- and it is a great thing -- maybe make even smaller goals in that goal -- I set 5 lb weight goals instead of looking at the number as a whole and have lost 98 lbs 5 lbs at a time - and I have set a goal to do so many steps a day - worked up from 1,000 to 12,500 daily .. slowly working towards a final goal but celebrating all along the way ... setting those smaller goals helped me have a sense of pride in what I am doing more often by meeting those little goals ...

LovingLibra2
11-13-2012, 01:36 PM
you can make your goal anything - In my opinion -- the key thing is the support here :D

Thanks, I have to stay away from scales I get so wrapped up in the number and wind up quitting...so this time I've only focused on the sizes I'm wearing, when I'm a size 10 I will get on the scale again :) Thanks!

davematthewsband
11-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Ooooh...I'm officially jacking my goal up to the 20 lbs! I was just asked to be in Sketchfest (I do a little improv and sketch comedy on the side of being a working mom) and it will be sometime the week of January 3rd. I'm gonna be getting a 20 lbs. skinnier girl up on that stage! Time to dust off my Induction notes - I'm going back in! :-)

jammy255
11-14-2012, 01:09 AM
I was on plan today

B: chocolate protien shake & coffee ( my morning mock mocha)
L: Salmon & stemed veggies, with Mrs. Dash & a little garlic salt
S: cottage cheese & flax seeds, hot tea
D:low carb flat bread "Pizza" w/ cheese & morningstar "meat crumbles"

Workout: Zumba 60min with 2lb wrist weights & 30min Max incline treadmill slow pace walk.

We Can do it Guys!!!

rho1640
11-14-2012, 06:14 PM
Ooooh...I'm officially jacking my goal up to the 20 lbs! I was just asked to be in Sketchfest (I do a little improv and sketch comedy on the side of being a working mom) and it will be sometime the week of January 3rd. I'm gonna be getting a 20 lbs. skinnier girl up on that stage! Time to dust off my Induction notes - I'm going back in! :-)

YAY - you will do great! And what fun!

camocutie
11-14-2012, 09:06 PM
My goal is def going to be 20lbs! If its alright with me joining..Been a rough year/s for me so im going at this full force!

rho1640
11-15-2012, 08:17 PM
My goal is def going to be 20lbs! If its alright with me joining..Been a rough year/s for me so im going at this full force!

Welcome -- you will do great!

camocutie
11-16-2012, 12:21 AM
Thanks! I am def one of those people that need as much encouragement as i can get and def trying to get the people around me to be that way!

rho1640
11-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Thanks! I am def one of those people that need as much encouragement as i can get and def trying to get the people around me to be that way!

Just plug along every day - and it will happen .. And most of the time after the first couple of weeks it isn't hard to do .. Much easier to follow than other plans I have done ..

And enjoy playing with foods - find the list of foods and print it out and just make recipes from that and make new recipes - - any time you want to make something go and Google Low Carb (whatever the item is) it is amazing what is out there that minor changes make it do-able

Simona
11-16-2012, 06:42 PM
I know I'm late but I'd like to join.

I have another 50lbs to lose. I don't expect to lose that by Jan. 1st - my only goal is to STAY ON PLAN! No more bad choices. My carb goal is 20-30 net per day.

rho1640
11-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I know I'm late but I'd like to join.

I have another 50lbs to lose. I don't expect to lose that by Jan. 1st - my only goal is to STAY ON PLAN! No more bad choices. My carb goal is 20-30 net per day.

It's never to late to jump in ;) And your goal of just staying on plan is a great one - especially during this party season coming up - it starts this week and goes for a month - That is my goal too -- it starts this thursday with U.S. Thanksgiving - I have decided I may have a small small portion of mashed potatoes with gravy - it is the only time of year I do that - and I will decide that day if I will feel that I am deprived if I don't have it - I will be good without the pumpkin pie - because I found a recipe for pumpkin bake I made last week and will make again this week - takes care of that pumpkin pie craving -- and where we are going -- their stuffing/dressing isn't mine :smug: so I won't miss that :D so I should be good ....

PLUS I am working on having my total loss be 100lbs by my doctor visit on the 30th - that will really help me stay on plan --- And I have one stupid stubborn stinking half lb to lose to make that :p I'm actually hoping for the whoosh fairy to come stay at my house for awhile so I can be past that by then.

StephanieM
11-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Hey guys! I'm back!!!

So after stopping Atkins I went up to about 180-182 lbs from my lowest weight which was 173 ish. I needed a break and wanted to focus on something else. I ended up weight lifting for the last three months and got down to 172.8 with that and watching what I eat! I went up to 176.4 in the last month or so from being sick, being on vacation, and a hurt back that stopped me from exercising.

Now my daughter isn't napping as well as she used to so my workout time went right out the window. I also go back to work in the new year. I want to look good when I go back! Plus, I need to go gluten free again. All the gluten I was eating was killing me.

I started Atkins again yesterday, and I'm already at 173.4 this morning :) I had the Atkins flu really badly yesterday, but feeling much better today.

I would like to weigh 160 lbs by New years, so that's 13 and a half lbs.

Glad to see some familiar faces and new ones too!

rho1640
11-18-2012, 09:05 AM
Stephanie -- HI --- what a great picture of you and your daughter too ....

You can do it!

StephanieM
11-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Thanks Rho! I can't believe she will be a year on December 30th! She was sick on Halloween so that's why she doesn't look that impressed in that picture.

I'm down to 173.0 today, another half lb closer to my goal :)

Summer2010
11-18-2012, 09:30 PM
I am in. My goal will be 15 lbs.

pkend4593
11-19-2012, 10:00 PM
I Havent Been On This Site For Awhile, But Count Me In, Need Changes

rho1640
11-20-2012, 06:57 AM
It's always fun when we get new folks in here - you will do great ...

I have to stop dancing :carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot: long enough to point you all in the direction of my main progress ticker below -- yes after months and months long stall it is moving again and I have reached

100.5 lbs lost!!!!!

um yes I am a little excited this morning :D:D:D:p:p:D:D

StephanieM
11-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Rho! That is so freaking awesome!!! You are amazing!

I think I need to keep you as my inspiration, you've just been go go go and your progress really shows it.

I'm down a bit again, was 172.4 yesterday and 172.2 today. I got hit by the sick/teething baby train last night. She's not even 11 months and she has 12 teeth and more coming.

Happy about this challenge, so far I'm down 1.2 since coming back here :) 4.2 since starting Atkins again.

Simona
11-20-2012, 11:45 AM
Rho...CONGRATS!!! That's a major accomplishment!

StephanieM
11-21-2012, 09:29 AM
170.8 today! I mighta ctually get into the 160's! Whoohoo!

Edit: I also wanted to add a link to this blog post, it's great for understanding why we lose so much at first with low carb and then it slows down.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/LowcarbNY/view/the-science-behind-rapid-weight-loss-during-the-1st-week-or-so-of-low-carb-i-e-induction-and-why-it-eventually-slows-down-348757

Simona
11-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Great job, Stephanie!!

Im finding some things challenging right now but I know it'll get better. Im thrilled that I got my shipment of Quest bars last night. Since the gastric bypass I cant really eat a lot of protein - or enough to fulfill my calorie needs so I rely on these bars. They're pretty good - 20g protein, 17g fiber and usually only 3-5g net carbs and 160-170 calories each. I love that they're high in fibre - no BM issues that way!

StephanieM
11-21-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks Simona!

When did you have your surgery? Those bars sound good! I haven't had them before.

davematthewsband
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Oh my gosh, Rho - AMAZEBALLS! I pray and pray to see a ticker dancing with delight like yours is now - enjoy this great accomplishment!!!!

Simona
11-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks Simona!

When did you have your surgery? Those bars sound good! I haven't had them before.

I had surgery July 27th, 2011. Then I had gallbladder surgery June 2012 and that's when I regained weight [10lbs] and havent been able to lose it! Driving me nuts! I know it'll come off with Atkins :)

AnaBee
11-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Steph!!!!!!!! *tackle hugs*. It's great to see you. And bubba (I've forgotten her name - Sloan?) looks so big!

CONGRATULATIONS RHO! Well done you!

And hi everyone :-)

StephanieM
11-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Simona, stick to it and it will!

AnaBee!!! I'm glad to see you too! Sloane is getting big, she's almost 24 lbs, has 12 teeth, has been walking for almost two months, and will be 11 months old in 9 days!

AnaBee
11-21-2012, 08:17 PM
Eek, I was almost right on her name :-)

She's such a cutie, I love the picture. I don't know where the year has gone, she was practically a newborn before it seems.

Simona, I've read that we gain a lot of water weight when we're sick or injured. Our bodies seem to like carrying it - it must help in some way. Your body might have been saying it didn't want to let it go, but I know it will come off for you now :-)

StephanieM
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM
It just shows me how long it's taken me to lose this weight! I was thinking '9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off' but I'm still 6 and a half lbs to my pre pregnancy weight.

I'm feeling pretty good since going back on Atkins :) I've had a nice clean induction, except for three nights I had some whiskey and diet coke. I do notice that it does slow down my loss a bit.

Today I'm at 170.4, so close to the 160's!!! I hope to be there in a few days :) I've lost just over 6 lbs this week, which motivates me to stay good. I know it will slow down to a lb or two next week so I have to get back into exercising to maximize my losses!

rho1640
11-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Everyone is doing great - and we made it thru one of the major holidays here in the USA -- Yay us!

Believe me if I can do it anyone can - I think I am just out stubborning it ;)

Mara
11-23-2012, 04:09 PM
A little late joining the Challenge, but I'm going to start off with a goal of 10 pounds. Hope its not too ambitious. :) I am still figuring out what works for me.

StephanieM
11-23-2012, 05:58 PM
My weight bounced up a little today, as if my body was like 'Okay, your first week of induction is over, slow losses now!' Literally, right on the 7th day.

But that's okay. I also think I'm not going to kill myself this time. I'm going to my in laws tonight for dinner and I'm just going to make the best choices I can with what is available. I know it's turkey so it can't be that bad. I think being so strict in the past is what led to my constant cheats. I'll be good when I'm making my own meals but if we go over there I'll try to be a little lax but still on plan.

Ann1231
11-23-2012, 10:45 PM
do you mind if I join in? I just got this site on app and can post easier! my birthday is New Year's Eve and I really want to lose some weight for my 50th year! I am starting induction tomorrow, November 24th. overall I need to lose 55 pounds. sounds overwhelming but dr. thinks Atkins is the way for me to do it.

Posted from 3fatchicks.com App for Android

StephanieM
11-24-2012, 10:15 AM
The more the merrier, Ann! That sounds like a great goal :) My daughter's birthday is the day before yours.

171.0 today, I'm surprised it's lower than yesterday. My in laws were doing an 'American Thanksgiving' and I had a small amount of mashed potatoes and stuffing. My tummy has definitely been upset today though, I shouldn't have eaten any gluten. I did keep my carbs low for dinner, and I didn't eat very much of the 'bad stuff'.

I'm mostly excited about being close to being in the 160's. I've been so close for months and I'm ready to get there!

StephanieM
11-25-2012, 09:19 AM
:cheer3::cheer2::woohoo::cloud9:I'M IN THE 160'S!!! 169.6!!!:cloud9::woohoo::cheer2::cheer3:

So happy!

Ann1231
11-25-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm at 176 this morning. Had some carbs over Thanksgiving and oh my gosh, my lower stomach hurt so badly! I forgot how carbs affect me that way. I had an atkins shake this morning and I'm making taco salad, without the shell for me, for lunch. After the discomfort of the last couple of days, I am in no way tempted to eat carbs!!

StephanieM
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
Ann, same here! I'm Canadian but my in laws did an 'American Thanksgiving' dinner. I decided to have a small portion of stuffing and mashed potatoes and I definitely felt it the next day!

170.4 today, but that's okay! My weight will bounce up and down now, but as long as it keeps going more down than up I'm happy. I know I will see the 160's again soon ;)

I also had a Atkins bar and shake yesterday, we were at the ice rink watching my friend speed skate and I didn't have anything prepared. I had them as back up in case I was hungry and we did end up being there for about 3 hours. I know the bars might have stalled me in the past so I'm going to just eat clean this week and watch what my weight does.

davematthewsband
11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I have certainly not given up, but my purple ketosis sticks don't seem to be equating to weight loss at the moment. In fact, I'm up 5 lbs since my lowest (though that included about a month of higher-carb eating and some personal health issues). I definitely plan to stay the course and am surprisingly not super discouraged at this point (as I'm still less than 2 weeks into ketosis), but even though I'm in ketosis, I'm having a harder time curbing the little carb nibbles here and there, the glass of wine here or there - so truly not being back on Induction (and I know it all adds up). BUT, I made it through Thanksgiving dinner at a buffet banquet hall and truly only ate salad as my appetizer and brussels sprouts and pieces of turkey/ham/beef as my meal. Oh, but there was that delicious wine :-) Anyhoo, still exactly 5 weeks until the 31st. WE CAN ALL DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rho1640
11-27-2012, 09:25 AM
My body is being contrary - I go down then I go up and stay up hopefully to go down before Friday Dr appointment - I want to be at 100 down there!!!!

stupid body lol

Kyrren
11-27-2012, 10:45 AM
I would like to join, if you don't mind. I am 195.2 today and would like to be at or below 179 by New Year's Day. I know 16.2 pounds is agressive and I will not be disappointed if it's say 185, but 179 is goal!

rho1640
11-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Welcome it is never too late to join and the more the merrier

StephanieM
11-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Rho, I know what you mean! I finally saw the 160's and haven't been back in the past few days. I want to be clearly in!

170.4 today again, but that's okay. I need to find the strap for my heart rate monitor, I'm going to start working out again tomorrow.

Kyrren
11-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Down today 193.4! (-1.8)

StephanieM
11-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Great job, Kyrren!

170.4 AGAIN! My body is liking this weight. Always seems to happen every 5 lbs or so.

BUT, I pulled out my heart rate monitor and played some Just Dance on the Wii and burnt 396 calories in 43 minutes. It felt good to work out :) Need to make it a regular thing to help speed up this weight loss.

Violet73
11-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I started this thread and I've been MIA, but I'm back! I got off track. Idk why I let life events make me eat carbs. I have to break that carb addiction and comfort food meltdown reaction! LOL! I started back today and have everything ready to go. Kitchen is stocked full of foods I need to succeed and I'm going to make myself weigh weekly to keep on track!

StephanieM
11-29-2012, 10:03 AM
Violet73, you should check in here daily for accountability :) I'm the only one here who checks in daily so it would be nice to have someone else!

I got out of 170.4 today after being that weight for 3 days! I'm 170.0. I'm thinking the exercise helped despite the fact I was bad last night. Friends came over and I had a glass of wine and then two whiskeys. My husband and I are tired from being up past 10 pm, haha. Of course Sloane had us up just after 5 am. I feel worse for him, he works today.

Hope all are doing well!

Kyrren
11-29-2012, 03:15 PM
193.4 again today, ultimate boot camp for 53 minutes last night.

Violet73
11-30-2012, 08:26 AM
Violet73, you should check in here daily for accountability :) I'm the only one here who checks in daily so it would be nice to have someone else!

I got out of 170.4 today after being that weight for 3 days! I'm 170.0. I'm thinking the exercise helped despite the fact I was bad last night. Friends came over and I had a glass of wine and then two whiskeys. My husband and I are tired from being up past 10 pm, haha. Of course Sloane had us up just after 5 am. I feel worse for him, he works today.

Hope all are doing well!

I will try! :)

StephanieM
11-30-2012, 10:24 AM
170.4 again! Oh man. But I did have a taco salad for dinner last night and I know in the past my weight goes up or stays the same the next day when I eat those. It's quite a large salad with 3 cups of lettuce, two tablespoons of salsa and sour cream, 30 grams of tex mex cheese and 4 oz of ground beef.

Also, I'm nearing the end of this pack of birth control and my period will come sometime next week. I tend to slowly bloat about two weeks before hand so this may explain it.

Mara
11-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Just a quick update on my 10 pound goal. I have lost six pounds so far, so four more to go. :D

Kyrren
12-01-2012, 11:34 AM
191.2 yesterday
191.6 today

nice 1.8 loss (+ the other 1.8 = 3.6) whoohoo!

StephanieM
12-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Good job, Mara and Kyrren!

I finally broke out of my mini plateu of being at 170.4 for almost a whole week and dropped down to 168.8 today :) I hope I can manage to stay out of the 170's from now on.

The funny thing is I went off plan for dinner last night and had a bit of sheppard's pie. I've also been working on increasing my calories to make sure I'm getting in about 1500 a day. I've also been exercising more :)

Kyrren
12-03-2012, 12:21 PM
Nov 30: 191.2
Dec 1: 191.6
Dec 2: 190.8
Dec 3: battery dead on digitial scale :(

StephanieM
12-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Today was horrible, 170.2 this morning, I failed my driving test at the very end (It was icy/snowy out and the light turned yellow. Felt I didn't have enough time to stop safely without sliding so went through it and it turned red just as I got to the other side, so automatic fail.), and I applied to come back to my old job since my year of maternity is up and they haven't gotten back to me.

Let's just say I've had some gluten free chocolate wafers today. But then I decided to turn it into a good day and found my old manager on Facebook and she talked to hiring about calling me for an interview.

Summer2010
12-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I have been MIA since first posting in this challenge on nov 18th....I am cranky and tired and feeling sorry for myself (again). You guys are motivating me so much to get back on track....even though I get tired of tracking my carbs....so I am re-committing again for 15 lbs loss by Dec 31st on Atkins. Induction starts tomorrow.

Keep up the good work everyone :)

StephanieM
12-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Summer, You just have to get out of that funk and look at it as a positive thing. If you eat on plan then you will lose weight, and losing weight will make you feel great!

170.4 today! Glad it's not worse. I think I might have to change my goal to 165 lbs since I'm such a slow loser though.

I ate completely off plan yesterday in my moment of self pity. I had a burrito, chocolate wafers, a wagon wheel, and bits and bites. But that was yesterday and today is a new day. I'm just kicking myself because I do *NOT* want to go through the Atkins flu again. Last time was especially rough.

Kyrren
12-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Summer, Good luck on starting induction. You will do a great job!

Stephanie - Great job on getting back on board. Some days are just rougher than others the key is to brush yourself off and get back on track!

Nov 30: 191.2
Dec 1: 191.6
Dec 2: 190.8
Dec 3: battery
Dec 4: 192.6

I am certain my increase is from too much celebrating on my birthday and lack of exercise. However, I did not go off plan on eating! YAY!

sandyfanny
12-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi everyone, I totally understand the "Mental Breakdown." I wrecked my car (ALL my fault), was injured but not too seriously, my mom died, and I sort of lost my mind. My track record hasn't been great on challenges, but I'd like to try this one. My goal is 10 pounds by New Year's...tricky over the holidays, but we can make it.

Summer2010
12-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Sandyfanny--hugs for you. You are so strong!!!

Summer2010
12-04-2012, 09:18 PM
Today was my first day on Induction and my net total of carbs was 20!!! I have been going to the bathroom non-stop!!! I can't wait to check my weight tomorrow morning....missed this feeling of not being stuffed with food and still enjoying great tasking food and not feeling guilty about it. Earlier in the evening I craved pretzels so bad but am okay now....more water and I am good for Day 1....

How is everyone else doing?

StephanieM
12-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Summer, I pee like crazy too at the beginning too!

My cheat on Monday was so bad I knocked myself out of ketosis. Sticks have been negative since then and now today I'm getting the 'Atkins flu' again, and peeing like crazy. My weight this morning was 170.8 which makes sense since a cheat takes about two days to show on the scale for me.

This is my lesson, cheat and suffer the flu again and a delay in losses!

I'm feeling much happier though, ever since getting in touch with my old manager I got accepted to do the first round of assessment and today I got an email to do the second round. Next step after that is doing an interview for my old job! It'll be nice to go back to work after a year off. I really want to be in ketosis when I go back though, it's easier to concentrate on work when I'm not starving all the time.

Edit: Oh, and my period is due in a few days so I'm not expecting any great losses anytime soon.

StephanieM
12-06-2012, 11:54 AM
169.0 and back into ketosis!

That was tough, man no more going off plan except maybe a little on Christmas and my birthday.

Summer2010
12-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Go, Steph!
You are right, it is easier to follow the plan when you are working. Your mind is occupied by your work, not the fridge :)

sandyfanny
12-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Thanks, Summer2010. I'm trying; we are all strong enough to do this if we really want the rewards. I've been back on plan since Monday (doesn't everyone start on Monday?). My ketostix have been a nice deep color as of Wednesday, and I'm not craving everything in sight. And since I went through the cabinets and the fridge, whatever I think I want isn't there anyway!

StephanieM
12-07-2012, 11:35 AM
169.4, I'll take it! At least I'm not in the 170's today. Each day I'm in the 160's feels awesome!

Toutou
12-08-2012, 07:25 AM
Hello,
I would like to join you if that is ok.
It is a very good day for me as today I have reached onderland! That was my goal for New Year's. So, I guess i will have to revise it! Another 5-7 pounds would be great, so aiming for low 190's.

sandyfanny
12-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Good work, everyone! I woke up really hungry this morning, so I made myself a big quiche lorraine. YUM! And I can eat it for days, any meal. My biggest challenges are:

1. Preparing and cooking for myself instead of choosing quick and easy carbness.
2. Eating out with friends and family.
3. Continuing to eat after dinner in the evening.

Have a great week! :)

rho1640
12-08-2012, 05:26 PM
hoi all - still checking in from time to time - Xmas part rounds start tonight - need to stay strong - tried to find out what the caterer was making to plan but never got an answer back from the organizer -- oh well .... I ate lunch late so it should help me be strong and just had a cup of coffee too ..

rho1640
12-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Busy time of year -- let's all try to check in (I'm a good one to talk huh? ;) ) Daily support could be what gets us thru the various parties going on this time of year

Have a great day

StephanieM
12-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Hey guys! Haven't posted in a few days. I find my motivation to post gets low after awhile because no one else posts daily.

I raised my carbs above Atkins induction levels because I've started weight training again and I'm eating more. I've maintained around 170 so that's good! I've started measuring myself so I'll let you guys know if I lose any inches :)

jammy255
12-14-2012, 12:11 AM
Hi All!
Well Im down another 12 pounds soo far @ 243, hopefully I can lose at least 5 more before the years up, its just soo hard this time of year:hohoho:

AnaBee
12-14-2012, 12:25 AM
Sorry I haven't been posting. I have had a shocking year weight/challenges wise and I'm still trying to extract myself from what has been a very extended carb binge. I started taking an AD in September which really helped pick up my mood but has given me the worst carb cravings and constant fatigue but I have to stop letting that be an excuse!

I gave up diet coke last weekend, this weekend I plan to clean out my fridge and cupboards and get myself back to eating clean low carb paleo. I'm also going to update my stats to properly acknowledge the very scary number I have hit!

StephanieM
12-14-2012, 11:39 AM
AnaBee, if it helps, come here and weigh daily :) It will keep you accountable and realistic. When I stop weighing is when I lose sight of things.

I was 171.4 this morning, probably because I'm adjusting to higher carbs and my muscles are retaining water from the new lifting routine. I'm quite sore all over.

rho1640
12-14-2012, 05:31 PM
I gave up diet coke last weekend, this weekend I plan to clean out my fridge and cupboards and get myself back to eating clean low carb paleo. I'm also going to update my stats to properly acknowledge the very scary number I have hit!

Maybe use the rest of this year to mentally prepare and get your pantry set by doing the cleaning out you mention - getting in lots of things you can have when these cravings hit -- So so sorry you are having a rough year trying to think of alternatives to high carb things that could help you -- is it sweet or salty or savory that you are craving -- maybe we can come up with some alternatives for you.

I don't know much about paleo .. but could that be doing that is too restricting right now - maybe going just Lower Carb and maybe gearing down slowly would work right now rather than going to induction levels .. take a week and figure out the carbs you are eating now and cut it in half or a quarter or even knock it down a set number you decide on then in a week or two cut it down again a set number ... be kind to yourself..

rho1640
12-14-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi All!
Well Im down another 12 pounds soo far @ 243, hopefully I can lose at least 5 more before the years up, its just soo hard this time of year:hohoho:

you are doing GREAT!!

AnaBee
12-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Posting every day is great advice Steph. I will make it a habit. Only problem is when I'm away over christmas I don't think I'll have regular internet access but I'll see what I can manage.

Rho, lately I've been living on toast :-) There's a new gluten free brand available here that is so nice and I've not been able to eat toast in so many years I might be reacting a bit to that freedom. I was feeling great on paleo but then fell of the wagon when a friend visited and then used the cravings from my medication and having PCOS as a big excuse. I sort of took it as licence to eat whatever I wanted and it's been quite freeing avoiding the usual back and forth debate about whether I *should* eat something or not. But that doesn't make it any better! And I love things like steamed beans and steamed cauliflower with butter and lets face it, the best part of toast is the topping, I wouldn't eat so much if it were dry. So it's being more organised, preparing nutritious meals and stopping wallowing in the land of denial :-) Thank you for the suggestion of getting mentally prepared and being kind to myself... I struggle with both of those even though if I were advising a friend I would agree they are very important.

rho1640
12-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Ana - I get like that if I find something new I can have too - mine has been hot chocolate this week but I decided last night I have to give it up or only have it occasionally and earlier in the day because I was getting horrible heartburn about an hour after .. so last night was probably my last one for awhile--

I know there is no one in the world who can be meaner to me than me - so I always figure other people have the same issue - and being kind to ourselves is the hardest thing to do I think.

You will do great - maybe try sitting down and thinking about dishes you enjoyed when you were doing it before - make a list and maybe even make a group of lists -- like put the days of the week at the top of a page and under each one list five or six meals you like - and then maybe have the recipes in a binder and a master list of ingredients for a shopping list of what is needed for them -- put that in a clear binder in the notebook and have an erasable marker so you can check off the items you need currently for the recipes to make up your shopping list from ...

This is something I have been thinking of doing -- I haven't quite worked out how I am going to do it - I shop by sales so I was thinking more of having it set as days of the week and a catagory - Monday Beef, Tuesday Chicken, Wed. pork Thurs ground beef Friday fish, Saturday Free, Sunday something I can cook long like stew, spaghetti sauce, chili --- And I have even been thinking of making extra of each meal by maybe doubling the recipe so I can make up frozen meals instead of having leftovers the next night and eventually I will have a good group of different things in the freezer that I can just pull one out and reheat if it is a day of not feeling like cooking or just am sick ... and I might write the carbs on the bag too for tracking ease

I haven't quite worked out my system but that is my plan overall for next year ... I have a foodsaver so I can easily make bags up with leftovers and write on them what it is for the freezer ... that way all I have to do is a veg. or salad -- and I am even thinking about doing the salad in a jar idea weekly so that will be easy too.

I have been looking at the sales and buying whatever is the cheapest meats - can't believe how prices have gone up in just the last 6 months alone -- so this week I will get an eye round roast and a pork roast and cut them into thickish steaks and freeze them 2 to a bag -- from there I can have steak or cube it for recipes or strip it for stirfrys etc. saving over a $1 a pound just being willing to cut them up myself ...

I am seriously trying to make life easier in the long run - and fun - I refuse to do any exercise if it isn't fun - now I do my Wii Game Walk it Out, I rebound and I hula hoop .. and I am working towards making meal planning the same - easy and fun --

They say we all eat basically the same recipes over and over studies have said - so I figure if I make the list up of what we love and alternate it out with maybe 2x a month as a night to try something totally new - that may be rotated into the menu. My thought is that after the first month I will have the system down and will also have a good store of things in my freezer so it won't involve cooking as often maybe then it it will be once or twice a week to keep the freezer filled up - so the ease of take out without the expense ;)

So that was my long rambling thoughts of what I am going to try to do with the new year - as I am still trying to work it out in my head -- maybe you all will have some ideas to throw into the mix ..

And don't think of a total amount you need to lose - only use goals in 5 lb increments - you can always see 5 lbs as being do-able -- I know if I thought about losing the 103 lbs I've done so far it would not have happened - the total would have overwhelmed me completely - but I always knew I could do "just 5 lbs" and that is how I plan to do the rest too ..

Sorry for the book -

AnaBee
12-21-2012, 12:17 AM
I appreciate the book! Lots of great ideas Rho, thanks. I'm at my mum's place for the holidays and we've planned out most of the meals (at her request, she doesn't mind cooking but hates planning) and I'll cook some days too. She has the same scales I have and I was down 2 pounds which was great - that'd just be dropping the toast since I haven't been super strict low carb (I've had small amounts of potato).

It's so true we tend to eat the same things over and over - it's just getting into a habit of making those things *good things*. One step at a time.

If I'm not around before the holidays, happy christmas to those who celebrate and hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

rho1640
12-22-2012, 12:13 AM
I appreciate the book! Lots of great ideas Rho, thanks. I'm at my mum's place for the holidays and we've planned out most of the meals (at her request, she doesn't mind cooking but hates planning) and I'll cook some days too. She has the same scales I have and I was down 2 pounds which was great - that'd just be dropping the toast since I haven't been super strict low carb (I've had small amounts of potato).

It's so true we tend to eat the same things over and over - it's just getting into a habit of making those things *good things*. One step at a time.

If I'm not around before the holidays, happy christmas to those who celebrate and hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday.

Have a wonderful visit at your mom's and a Merry Christmas -- we are going caroling with a group tomorrow night - should be fun - a buffet before and dessert after - have no idea what they will have so I probably will try to have a late lunch to hold me over if need be ... And since it is suppose to be colder and windy I made some fingerless mitts from sparkly red yarn for fun and decided I need a hat from it too -- so I am trying to do a super quick knit flat hat to wear -- before tomorrow at 5 when we leave YIKES

jammy255
12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
you are doing GREAT!!

Thank You!

jammy255
12-23-2012, 02:35 PM
I hope everyone is doing well :)

I'm down to 238lbs, If I can lose 3 more pounds I will be on cloud 9!!

rho1640
12-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I hope everyone is doing well :)

I'm down to 238lbs, If I can lose 3 more pounds I will be on cloud 9!!

Whoo Hooo -- a great help in making good choices this week coming up -- I know it helps me ;)

Violet73
12-27-2012, 07:59 AM
I'm back on track. I'm ready to make this a way of life and not just a weight loss program. I noticed I have some dark patches on my neck area. They aren't very noticeable, but when it's your own body you notice them. I found out it's probably acanthosis nigricans from PCOS/insulin resistance. A low carb diet will help this and my weight and any other problems I may have brewing with insulin resistance. So, here I am and fully committed. I'm looking forward to the next challenge.

AnaBee
12-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey Violet! I have those dark patches too (but mine are on the inside of my arms and upper legs and below my bra strap). I know what you mean about noticing them when it's your own body! Mine have gotten worse over the last few months as I have been eating badly - it's a very good incentive to eat well.

I'm a bit ahead of myself but what should our next challenge be? Valentines Day? Or Easter? Are there any other good holiday landmarks?

Violet73
12-28-2012, 07:29 AM
AnaBee, so they fade if you follow the diet to a T?

Maybe a Valentine's Day challenge? Whatever you guys think :)

rho1640
12-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm up for the next challenge - I'm doing a Valentines day one on another site - whatever you all choose is good with me ...

AnaBee
12-29-2012, 06:27 PM
Vi, yeah, they do fade, though not sure if they go entirely with time.

Rho, a Valentine's Day challenge sounds good to me.

Violet73
12-31-2012, 07:28 AM
ok guys, I started a V-day challenge! :carrot: Let's keep rocking and rolling and lose this weight!

I'm going to try to post every day and keep myself accountable. I'm weighing in weekly too. I feel so good since I got back on track. Carbs just weigh me down and make me feel tired. It feels good to be back :) Yall come over to the V-day thread and lets lose some more weight!

rho1640
12-31-2012, 09:04 AM
vi will jump over to the Valentines Day Challenge and use this mornings weight as my beginning number

I surpassed my goal by .2 lbs :carrot::carrot: YAY!!

Tomorrow is New Beginnings - I don't do resolutions I tend to break them -- so I do new beginnings

Everyone have a Happy New Year!!

AnaBee
01-01-2013, 06:39 PM
Cool, I'll join you over there. But first I'm happy with my New Years Challenge - I dropped 5 pounds over the last two weeks and that was away visiting family and celebrating the holidays. So yay, very motivating.

Violet73
01-02-2013, 07:22 AM
Rho and Ana, that's awesome!!! congrats :) You guys did great on this challenge! :carrot:

davematthewsband
01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Well ladies...I didn't accomplish my New Year's goal - but I at least made it out of the year with no weight gain.

I'm back on the straight and narrow and will add myself to the Valentine's Day challenge!

On a side note, my sketch show was Friday night and it was fantastic! It felt SO GOOD to be back up on stage (even if I wasn't 20 additional lbs. lighter like was my challenge goal). I had to focus on the fact that I was still 20 lbs. lighter than when I was in SketchFest last year - so still positive progress overall!!

Kyrren
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
185 - 179 is goal!

Dec 31 weighed in at 184. I ws happy