Old 11-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/181/169

Height: 5'5

Default Dinner Question

Hi! Sorry if this question has already been asked. I did look through the threads but don't think I have a clear answer.... Can your dinner protein be replaced with a non restricted IP packet? I'm on day 2 and am already having a hard time eating meat/seafood every night. Also, having a hard time getting down 2 cups veggies + lettuce... Is this a must!?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Last edited by Ilovesugar; 11-04-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Ilovesugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 AM   #2  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post
Hi! Sorry if this question has already been asked. I did look through the threads but don't think I have a clear answer.... Can your dinner protein be replaced with a non restricted IP packet? I'm on day 2 and am already having a hard time eating meat/seafood every night. Also, having a hard time getting down 2 cups veggies + lettuce... Is this a must!?

First of all, welcome
Secondly, yes, it is answered A LOT. It takes some research to find answers on the forum. I read this forum for a month before starting IP. There is a search feature that works relatively well if you try various search terms. There are sticky threads at the top with a WEALTH of info. The daily thread (or in this case, weekend chat) has an intro post EVERY DAY that will diect you to answers)

You don't have to eat lettuce. The sheet doesn't say lettuce is mandatory. It is optional and unlimited.

FOUR cups veggies daily is mandatory (You said two. I hope you meant four/day). Go to the Fun With Veggie Purées thread for ideas how to get veggies in. Its really pretty simple. Also the other recipe threads in the spots I suggested above give lots of veggie ideas.

I put spinach in my breakfast smoothie and veggie purée in my lunch soup. I have to carefully measure or I'll run out of veggie alottment and won't have enuf for dinner and I'll end up hungry. I got all the ideas reading the forum for a month prior to starting IP or asking a single question.

The protocol is for 3 packets per day plus the dinner protein. One extra packet does not replace the dinner protein. Some people split the meat for lunch and dinner and use the packets as snacks instead. It is important to get all the nutrients as this is a very low calorie/fat/carb diet and you don't want to make yourself sick. Don't forget your oil and your salt!

Good luck and happy reading.

Last edited by lisa32989; 11-04-2012 at 07:32 AM.
lisa32989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM   #3  
began IP May 25

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome to both IP & 3FC Ilovesugar! Some people do have trouble getting all the veggies &/or meat in as the protocol calls for. It will get easier as time goes by. In the mean time, Lisa is right - you can split your meat between lunch & dinner. And it IS important to get 4 cups of veggies in every day, along with the 3 packets, olive oil, salt, all supplements, & a TON of water!
There are a few different recipe threads on here for IP that you should find helpful, one of them being Veggie Purees by Lizrr. Makes it so much easier to get the 4 cups in. (You might have to go back a few pages to find it.)

Good luck and come back often! You will probably find the Daily threads pretty helpful and will usually get more feedback there on different issues that may come up.
greeniris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #4  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

How are vegetarians accommodated on IP? My coach has her clients split half vegetarian and not. All her vegetarian clients have replaced the protein meal with an IP packet. What other options are there for vegetarians?

Last edited by slow2lose; 11-04-2012 at 09:43 AM.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #5  
Back for a tweak

S/C/G: 120/115/110

Height: 5'0"

Oh sorry - I completely forgot about things like tofu and TVP.
slow2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 219/146.0/142

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow2lose View Post
How are vegetarians accommodated on IP? My coach has her clients split half vegetarian and not. All her vegetarian clients have replaced the protein meal with an IP packet. What other options are there for vegetarians?
I think eggs(if not Vegan), and tofu(which I use at least once a week and extremely versatile) would be their go-to proteins. Also, I can see a savvy coach working with their client to allow seitan (not on the sheet, and still has carbs, but pretty low).
sharrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovesugar View Post

My coach and many others say that a cup of salad at lunch and dinner is a must. I found getting the protein and veggies in was so difficult but I realized today that I reached a turning point. I was just planning tonight's dinner and was upset because I couldn't have all of the veggies that I wanted! I stopped and thought " wait, did I just think that???" There are some proteins that I cant get down 8oz of - chicken is one for me. I found these turkey cutlets that are fantastic! Ive learned as I go along. Welcome and come back often!
maezy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

Remember too it does not have to be 8oz of the SAME meat. One of my favorite meals is a omelet with turkey bacon..and its a easy way to get veggies in to...once cooked down you can almost put a whole 2 Cs in the omelet. As far as veggies...I tend to spread them out through the day as I find I need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep from getting really hungry. You will find things you love and learn to tweak it. Also, talk to your coach, and check out the recipe threads...there is a wealth of ideas there.

As far as salad...I only eat lettuce a few times a week. My coach prefers I eat it every day because it helps keep you regular but from a nutrition standpoint there is basically nothing else to it.
CortneyMarie622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by maezy1 View Post
My coach and many others say that a cup of salad at lunch and dinner is a must.
That is a coach preference and NOT an IP-program mandate.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortneyMarie622 View Post
Remember too it does not have to be 8oz of the SAME meat. One of my favorite meals is a omelet with turkey bacon..and its a easy way to get veggies in to...once cooked down you can almost put a whole 2 Cs in the omelet. As far as veggies...I tend to spread them out through the day as I find I need to eat every 2-3 hours to keep from getting really hungry. You will find things you love and learn to tweak it. Also, talk to your coach, and check out the recipe threads...there is a wealth of ideas there.

As far as salad...I only eat lettuce a few times a week. My coach prefers I eat it every day because it helps keep you regular but from a nutrition standpoint there is basically nothing else to it.
I agree. Omelets are very good. I love making mine and adding 1 diced cherry tomato and green onion to the top. Pretty and yummy!
Hgamroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/134/115

Height: 5'1

Oh and another favorite that gets meat, veggies, AND lettuce in is a cob salad. I often make 2-3 servings at once to make it easy and I find it has so much flavor variety that I don't grow tired of it.

I typically use hard boiled egg, turkey bacon or Canadian bacon, chicken breast, cucumber, green onion, celery, broccoli and of course lettuce. If I have not used my restricted veggie I add tomato as well. SO GOOD!
CortneyMarie622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
I agree. Omelets are very good. I love making mine and adding 1 diced cherry tomato and green onion to the top. Pretty and yummy!
I like them too. I had one yesterday. Sauteed celery, bell pepper, green onion. (I was out of mushrooms or would have added those as well) I prefer them chopped very finely in my omelets. Salsa is also good on omelets. I made some last week.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
I like them too. I had one yesterday. Sauteed celery, bell pepper, green onion. (I was out of mushrooms or would have added those as well) I prefer them chopped very finely in my omelets. Salsa is also good on omelets. I made some last week.
How do you make your salsa? I need a good recipe for it. I tried some salsa from a jar the other day and really didn't like it! I used to love salsa and now my tastes have changed SO MUCH.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgamroth View Post
How do you make your salsa? I need a good recipe for it. I tried some salsa from a jar the other day and really didn't like it! I used to love salsa and now my tastes have changed SO MUCH.
Tomatos, garlic, serrano peppers (1), onion. Sautee until soft (careful not to brown the onion!). Blend. I do it all by taste.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa32989 View Post
Tomatos, garlic, serrano peppers (1), onion. Sautee until soft (careful not to brown the onion!). Blend. I do it all by taste.
Thanks!