PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support - Any other hardcore excess hair pluckers here?

avalonmoon
11-03-2012, 08:30 PM
At age 42 I suffer soo bad with excess hair in my face, chin and throat. It is so emotionally difficult because the excess weight has taken a toll on me, I am getting my old figure back but these hairs make it hard to feel pretty. When people look at me when I'm made up, it has ggotten me to a ,level of paranoia " are they looking at those hairs"? Circling thru my thoughts. <p> Does anyone else here have it this bad? How do you deal with it? I can't get rid of them with cream treatments they're too coarse.

Fatness
11-03-2012, 08:39 PM
Yes! It's so bad my husband hide the tweezers . Now I wax my chin, side burns, and neck 2 times a week. This hair grows fast.. The chin hair is the worst! I want to do some type of hair remover, but it cost too much... I will see, what else is out there but stick to waxing 2 times a week.

I don't wear make-up, but if I wax good; you would never tell I grow facial hair.

I blame my mother for me being so hairy.. I say this because; she always wanted to be hairy and instead of her being hairy. It has passed down to me! Grrrr

avalonmoon
11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Gee your ma sounds as if she handed you a curse. I couldn't get the wax at home to work. I agree the cost of laser is spendy. They would see me coming and make out like theives. I get senical and tell my hubby I ought to let it go and become a bearded lady, circuses could make a come back. Seriously though I used to think the other symptoms were wicked but the testosterone/progesterone levels aren't fair. I don't know how true this is but I read a comment on another board elsewhere that garlic and onions increase hair growth.

Rana
11-04-2012, 09:29 AM
I think if you want permanent hair removal, you'll have to save up for laser.

I don't get a lot of excess hair anymore, because I think I have my hormones under control.

So, if laser is to expensive, maybe you need to consider focusing on balancing your hormones by losing weight and seeing if that improves (or doesn't) your hair growth, coarseness, or length. You may find it gets less coarse or it doesn't grow as fast.

I'm a big advocate of treating the underlying issue rather than just the symptom -- work on balancing your hormones! :)

avalonmoon
11-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks Rana. I hope it improves. Since I lost what weight I have it has uunfortunately become worse. 80 or so more I hope will turn things right. I certainly can save in case for the laser approach.

Rana
11-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Sure, but losing weight won't necessarily affect your hormones in the right way. Our hormones are affected by our endocrine system and that can be wacky even if you're thin. That's why there are thin-Cysters, or women who have PCOS, but are NOT overweight.

Keep losing weight, because it is better for PCOS women to be at a normal BMI, but also consider going to a reproductive endocrinologist (who probably knows more about PCOS) and have your hormone levels checked and see if there are options in terms of balancing your hormones through other ways.

avalonmoon
11-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks Rana. I won't give up. I just added milk thistle to my arsenal. I see it (in my mind) all off so I will keep enthused. Thank you for you advice.

Losing Myself
11-10-2012, 06:03 PM
I just saw that Olay is now offering a hair removal product for coarse hair. It might be worth a try.

Garnet2727
11-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I shave my blasted chin every day. I've been doing this since I was in my early 20s. I am seriously considering laser treatment.

avalonmoon
11-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Losing Myself: Thanks for the headsup on the Olay product. I might try that.

avalonmoon
11-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Garnet2727, I think I had like 2 obstinate hairs back then (that I could see). Man have I grownmy share over the years a puberty teenage boy would be jealous of me. *giggles* It is disheartening though ... it gives my selfesteem a kick in the gut.

healthyangie
11-12-2012, 04:41 PM
This lady is a tweezy girl! I've been battling the hair since being a teen and have spent THOUSANDS!
I actually was one of the first to have the at home hair folicle burner - still have those scars! But it did kind of work. That was hair on my belly ..

For the chin and lip I use a tweezy twice a day. Hurts like all **** but it's the only thing that doesn't take an hour and I'm sure I got them all. Creams don't work on my facial hair.

My arms either get creamed or tweezied too.

I've thought about laser but for my hair they say it will take about 5 treatments .. expensive!

victoriousspirit
11-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Ok, This is my first forum post, so I hope it ends up in the right place.
I was responding to hardcore excess pluckers....

I have the same problem and I pluck and wax, pluck and wax. It would not be so bad if it were not for the ingrown hairs and rashy look that is hard to cover. I have started using progesterone and it should help with lessening hair. (so they say) It seems the more out-of-control my PCOS hormones are, the heavier the hair is. Thanks, to Mr. Testosterone, UGH!

going2bskinny
11-15-2012, 09:55 AM
I have the same problem I shave it off I plucked it and waxed it a few times but it is painful and it got too many to pluck without taking forever so now I just shave it off and cover with makeup can't see it then but I must stress this for all of us with pcos

STAY AWAY FROM SUGARRRRRRR

we have all these symptoms because we have a insulin problem stay away from sugar and you will notice a huge difference, I myself try to stay away from sugar as much as I can and I totally notice the difference as in it won't grow on the days I'm not eating any sugar or too many carbs and soon as I slip up and eat some sugar or too many carbs its like yup there it is again scruffy chin people have even reversed this by doing the atkins diet and regrown some of their hair and lost the face hair I am going to try not to have any sugar and see if I can reverse my symptoms as well but I always have a dumb slip up takes about 6 months to reverse it from what I have heard all the symptoms even clear up the cysts but you can't go back to eating sugar again or it will be right back again.

avalonmoon
11-20-2012, 06:33 PM

I have the same problem and I pluck and wax, pluck and wax. It would not be so bad if it were not for the ingrown hairs and rashy look that is hard to cover. I have started using progesterone and it should help with lessening hair. (so they say) It seems the more out-of-control my PCOS hormones are, the heavier the hair is. Thanks, to Mr. Testosterone, UGH!

Victoriousspirit, I get those ingrowns bad too.They make my throat,chin and jawline look dirty I'm sure. I hate it. Yes, I think our diet is tied to the growth. It's exhausting. Welcome to the forum.:)

avalonmoon
11-20-2012, 06:37 PM

I have the same problem I shave it off I plucked it and waxed it a few times but it is painful and it got too many to pluck without taking forever so now I just shave it off and cover with makeup can't see it then but I must stress this for all of us with pcos

STAY AWAY FROM SUGARRRRRRR

we have all these symptoms because we have a insulin problem stay away from sugar and you will notice a huge difference, I myself try to stay away from sugar as much as I can and I totally notice the difference as in it won't grow on the days I'm not eating any sugar or too many carbs and soon as I slip up and eat some sugar or too many carbs its like yup there it is again scruffy chin people have even reversed this by doing the atkins diet and regrown some of their hair and lost the face hair I am going to try not to have any sugar and see if I can reverse my symptoms as well but I always have a dumb slip up takes about 6 months to reverse it from what I have heard all the symptoms even clear up the cysts but you can't go back to eating sugar again or it will be right back again.

I know you're right and I am way improved but staying away from sugar is so sad. I am way less doing it butunlike many others it creeps into my diet so I have troubles with every facet of my life/body. I am better than in my past ..

going2bskinny
11-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Your not the only one Avalon my diet isn't perfect yet either but I definetly notice the difference when I mess up :( I still haven't stayed on track enough to actually get rid of my symptoms but I'm still working on it I'm going to be doing some juice fasts soon to see if they work.

going2bskinny
11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Victorious I would suggest not plucking or waxing the hairs I had ingrowns and a rash also from doing that which was more noticeable I'd suggest getting a sharp razor and just shaving it off shaving does not make them grow in darker or thicker only the hormones do that and I no longer get the ingrowns or rash there and it is very easy then to cover with makeup you wouldn't even tell then hope this helps.

I know it sucks shaving your face but so does growing hair or having a rash there oh also make sure to use a moisturizing good shave cream or soap and put lotion on after helps not get ingrowns as well I use curel lotion on my face

going2bskinny
11-23-2012, 04:04 PM
This lady is a tweezy girl! I've been battling the hair since being a teen and have spent THOUSANDS!
I actually was one of the first to have the at home hair folicle burner - still have those scars! But it did kind of work. That was hair on my belly ..

For the chin and lip I use a tweezy twice a day. Hurts like all **** but it's the only thing that doesn't take an hour and I'm sure I got them all. Creams don't work on my facial hair.

My arms either get creamed or tweezied too.

I've thought about laser but for my hair they say it will take about 5 treatments .. expensive!

If u can deal with the pain there is electrolysis also that works in one treatment but may need a few more for hair that comes with the grow cycles in between I'm scared of that though looks painful

caryesings
11-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I went the electrolysis route after trying both it and laser. Still have the shave my moustache for the fine hairs, but electrolysist is going after those now that we've managed to kill off 95% of the coarse ones (but it has taken many years).

One thing the electrolysist convinced me to do was to stop plucking as it was actually encouraging the blood flow to those follicles and making the nastiest hairs grow even better. She suggested shaving or depilatories so I was only taking off the surface hair and leaving the root alone. This helped her go after the worst hairs first (I'd stop shaving a few days before appt) and I did find she was right about the growth of the others being less intense which is why I've been doing this for years. Likely could have gotten faster results if I went more often but budget only allowed for 3-4 visits per year.

going2bskinny
11-24-2012, 01:52 PM
oh wow thanks for the tips cary how much did each treatment of the electrolysis cost about? And was it really painful and were you swollen after? Or is it not so bad?

BleuMaus
11-24-2012, 02:19 PM
oh wow thanks for the tips cary how much did each treatment of the electrolysis cost about? And was it really painful and were you swollen after? Or is it not so bad? I would really like to know this too because I'm pretty sure I'm Chewbaka's daughter. I have more hair on my arms then my boyfriend does...

caryesings
11-24-2012, 08:31 PM
oh wow thanks for the tips cary how much did each treatment of the electrolysis cost about? And was it really painful and were you swollen after? Or is it not so bad?

When I started it was $30 for 15 minutes, now getting closer to $40. It's not fun but I find the one-hair-at-a-time less painful than the laser shock-a-whole-patch at once. I have friends that feel the opposite. The areas on my face that have been worked on are red when I leave the office but they give me a small ice pack (actually a frozen balloon) and by the time I get to my next errand in that part of town 10 minutes later I feel presentable enough to go in.

And it's not really permanent treatment. As I understand it, for the follicle to be zapped enough to never produce another hair it has to be done at a specific spot in the hair growth cycle (not necessarily when I'm there) and of course the follicle next to it may sprout visible hair. So I don't feel I'll ever be "done", but after the first year I was comfortable to be seen without makeup.

caryesings
11-24-2012, 08:36 PM
P.S. As far as pain goes, it also depends on where the hair is. The ones on my neck don't feel any more painful than plucking. Same with the chin. Cheeks hurt and the upper lip is tear producing. My electrolysist starts with the easy ones and does the lip last and stops as soon as I've signaled "no more" so I have control over discomfort level.

lizarddau
11-24-2012, 09:13 PM
it is soooooooo comforting to know that other people shave too...i have to shave my darned chin everyday..especially if i have to go out in public..i have a hairy tummy and arms and even toes (i leave all of that there)...my moustache is bleached and so is the hair under my chin on my neck......urgghhhhhhhh!!..tis a curse but something i have to do!!...thanks guys for all of the valuable information here!...cheers liz

PattiPat
11-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I am also a plucker/shaver and have problems with ingrown hairs as well. I recently found a product for shaving called Tend Skin that helps. It's a non lathering shaving gel with glycerin so my wet/dry razor works better and doesn't tend to cause so many ingrown hairs or razor burn. I found it on Amazon thought it was worth a try. So far, so good. ;)

going2bskinny
11-25-2012, 09:05 PM
thanks cary so much for all the info that really helps! :D :hug: ouch sounds painful though im a wuss lol.

ive been noticing a lot slower growth the past few days with my diet and all now. going to keep it up this time and see if it disappears all together. *crosses fingers*

dimplesdarling
11-26-2012, 12:51 AM
It's discouraging to hear that the facial hair can't be taken care of more easily. I was always hoping if I lost the weight, that it would figure itself out. Or if not, just go to the laser hair removal place a few times, fork over some money, and get it taken care of. How frustrating that it's going to be a lifelong battle... sigh.

lizarddau
11-26-2012, 01:17 AM
yeah i am afraid so...i have worked all of my working life (i no longer work at all) in aged care..there are some elderly ladies out there that would give my husband who has a full beard a run for his money...poor things...i would routinely shave them when we were showering...hopefully making them feel better...i soo hope that when it comes to my turn to be old and frail and looked after that some one does that for me too!!...cheers liz

going2bskinny
11-30-2012, 04:13 AM
It may sort itself out I'm still hoping and giving it all I got to try to do everything I can to fix this on my own so I still believe it could. I'm going to be doing a 1 month juice fast in December to see if I can reverse my symptoms also I'm going to work really hard to get all this weight off and get fully toned to see if that makes a difference as well so ill let ya know what happens with that.

I do notice the hair growth become slower when I am very strict on my diet and some have reported them growing in slower and slower and finer until they were gone so I hope that happens for me as well

Also I want my hair back :( it's very thin now

trabo2009
11-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I hate, hate my crazy hairs that sprout up on my face/neck. I pluck and pluck and pluck :( Someday it would be nice to be able to afford laser treatments. Meh, I'm sure menopause won't make this worse at all..

avalonmoon
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
yeah i am afraid so...i have worked all of my working life (i no longer work at all) in aged care..there are some elderly ladies out there that would give my husband who has a full beard a run for his money...poor things...i would routinely shave them when we were showering...hopefully making them feel better...i soo hope that when it comes to my turn to be old and frail and looked after that some one does that for me too!!...cheers liz

:hug: lizarddau, i hope caregivers think like you. my g-ma had it bad and seldom did they shave her. she might have liked that but her memory was gone so we wouldn't know.

avalonmoon
12-04-2012, 03:48 PM
I hate, hate my crazy hairs that sprout up on my face/neck. I pluck and pluck and pluck :( Someday it would be nice to be able to afford laser treatments. Meh, I'm sure menopause won't make this worse at all..

Yeah trabo2009, i agree with menopause. possibilities.
I even have callouses on my fingers from years of tweaziing.:?:

lizarddau
12-04-2012, 07:24 PM
avalonmoon- hey hun yeah well all i can say is that there are some people in the aged care industry (i hate calling it that because for me it is not a business)..are sadly there to make a buck and caring is second to that...me personally i was there to care...what little money i earn't was just icing on the cake..it is a very rewarding thing to do and i loved it..i sooo miss the oldies (that is said with every affection and no disrespect) but i cannot work with this bad back and that is that!!..so i turn my attentions to other things like digital scrapbooking designing...and oh about the tweezer thing..i tried that and found it to be frustrating...so i just get the razer out and go for it..i occasionally get my eyebrows waxed but nah tis only the bleaching and razor
for me!!..i have heaps of hair on my tummy but that does not worry me cause it does not see light of day!!..lol..lol..lol...cheers liz

jeminijad
01-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I am very hairy.

If left untouched, my upper lip has a moustache like a young man, chin has a couple dozen black prickly hairs, sideburns are darkly peach fuzzed. Below my navel down to the pubic is hairy, and even my buttocks. Arms and legs are "normal" amounts for a brunette.

I shave, Nair or wax the belly/butt (eventually will seek laser treatment.) I tweeze my upper lip and chin. Shaving my face is not an option for me, as I am uninterested in a method that requires maintenance every 12 hours. At least with plucking, on any given day, only a handful of hairs are really visible.

I will find an electrologist when I'm working full time again, and can afford it. For now, 10 minutes a day with my tweezers works for my face, and once every couple of weeks to clean up the rest.

knoxie
01-05-2013, 01:14 PM
I wax what I can (i.e. where I can stand the pain) and shave most other things. I had laser treatment on my lip a few years back which greatly reduced the hairs there, but there is a small amount of fluff there that gets shaved off on special occasions. I wax /tweeze my chin religiously because my hair is black and you can see everything, no free pass for me.

I'm hoping as the weight goes the hair will a little too. Til then it's back to commandeering the kitchen two nights a week to microwave the wax without my bf seeing :D

1049jess
01-05-2013, 08:41 PM
I suggest looking into a medication called Sprionolact. My doctor prescribed it for me in March and it, along with exercise and maintaining my weight has seemed to help with the excessive hair on my face.

wendyland
01-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I've been using an R.e.m spring that I bought off amazon. It took a little bit to figure out how to work it, but it works really good. I especially like to use it on my chin. It hurts more on the upper lip, but it's manageable. It beats getting waxed because that irritates my skin. It also works on the coarse hairs, but sometimes I have to roll over them a couple times.

Cemommster
01-10-2013, 04:03 PM
I hate my chin hair. Ugh and the feeling I get if I forget to shave it or pluck it that morning.

chubbiegurl
01-10-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't have too much hair, just peachfuzz, guess that's good but my eyebrows r so thin. Ha ha I tried rogain on them, but am still having to darken them. I have a threading tool called the helix. It is simple and removes all my peachfuzz, which I don't like cause it affects how my powder looks when I wear it. I can do my little mustache hairs, which hubby says r not visible, my sideburns and cheeks. I cant do eyebrows cause I need to stretch them as I do them, but use both hands for the tool. I used to have a waxing kit. Funny when ever I warmed it up and took the supply's out, it was so time consuming that who ever was at my house got something waxed even the guys. They knew to stay out of sight. Too bad someone turned it upside down and the wax leaked all over it, too cheap to invest another 60 plus bucks.

PrettyMom09
01-10-2013, 09:44 PM
Wendy - what is an R.e.m. Spring?

Chubbier-where did you get your threading tool?

I am very tired of waxing.

Hotaruchan
01-11-2013, 08:10 AM
I got lucky on the excess hair end of PCOS, I suppose...I only get a few rogue chin hairs about once a month on my face...my big issue is my feet. My feet are hairy and gross, and since they're huge to begin with I end up looking like a hobbit if I don't shave or pluck like a crazy person. That's about the only reason I can think of atm to not hate the cold...in warmer weather I like flip flops or going barefoot, but when I wear 2 pairs of tights and a pair of thick woolen socks every day, I don't have to worry as much about my embarrassing feet.

wendyland
01-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Wendy - what is an R.e.m. Spring?

Chubbier-where did you get your threading tool?

I am very tired of waxing.

I bought the spring off of amazon. It's a metal coil that you twist and it pulls many hairs out at a time. It's less painful than waxing in my opinion. But it still hurts. It definitely saves time on my chin and upper lip. You can't use it on your eyebrows. It's too big to get that precise. There are instruction videos on YouTube. I love it.

deetermined2
01-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Living Social by me often has packages for laser, which make it a third to a half of the normal price. Facial hair, especially the lip, is suppose to be some of the hardest to kill hair because of hormones. Most people need at least 6 sessions for the lip, though laser is suppose to work best the darker the hair and the paler the skin.

Grace73
01-12-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Ladies..
Oh im a plucker too.. some days i over pluck.. I try to keep it under control.
I hate it. but i figure every woman has issues with something..
be happy we can do something about it!
Good luck gals!

PrettyMom09
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Thanks Wendy!

has anyone tried the at home lasers like Non-No? I would like to buy one, but I haven't seen any reviews.

ringmaster
01-22-2013, 10:23 AM
another hardcore hairplucker here... hair on my face is one quick way to have an ugly day :( I usually wax or use an epilator but the hair has to be long enough for that, so other times I just shave

has anyone tried the new at home laser machines out now? they are kinda expensive, but if they work then it's worth it... only problem is I read laser doesn't really work if the hair growth is hormonal (and alot of hair on a woman's face is usually hormone related)

Aianah
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
haven't read the whole thread, but YES, I most definitely pluck those chin hairs- I can't STAND them!

jakeness
02-21-2013, 02:58 PM
I shave my blasted chin every day. I've been doing this since I was in my early 20s. I am seriously considering laser treatment.

I am currently getting laser treatments ... I have 2 more to go (finished 4 already). I can tell a difference! Hopefully at the end of May I will be hair free or at least close. I wish those lasers could pick up the blonde hair too, but I'll be happy with the dark and course hair gone.

Michelle125
02-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Yup, course chin hair here. I pluck them each morning with tweezers. Those suckers are like beard hair!! Thank goodness I don't have a lot!

Flower Child
02-24-2013, 11:16 AM
I have a lot or coarse, black chin hairs that look like a man's beard if I I don't pluck them often, which is supposed to make it worse. I tried laser 5 years ago and $600 later, The hairs were finer but still there. As soon as I stopped the expensive treatments, they went back to coarse, dark hairs. AFTER I paid all that money The laser-removal people asked me if I have any hormonal issues. I said yes, and they said it sometimes doesn't work if you have excess testosterone. That info would have been nice before I spend a fortune on laser. I'm going to try electrolysis. My OB/GYN said that might should work better.

beerab
02-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Ladies stop plucking and waxing you are making it worse, if you must, shave or trim!

Electrolysis is the ONLY thing that works and is permanent. If new hairs come later, those are different follicles and most likely due to hormonal changes. That happened with my mom, she did electrolysis like 12 years ago, hit menopause, and now has a few hairs coming up that she gets touched up by her electrologist.

I know a lot of people keep saying laser, but that isn't always the best route, and IMO I'm usually wary of things not FDA approved.

Let me tell you a laser HORROR story. My friend, who is harrier than me, went and got laser done. You know what happened? Her hair got WORSE. Sometimes the laser can STIMULATE your follicles! The people she went to ended up telling her after she spent like 5 freaking grand to look like sasquatch! She now gets electrolysis done. I told her she should have demanded her money back...

I chose the "cheaper route" and started getting electrolysis. My first session was 2 hours and $100. The electrologist said shaving does NOT make hairs thicker. Plucking, tweezing, waxing, and hormones DO.

My first time the electrologist said my hairs were like TITANIUM they did not want to come out.

I have been doing treatments since December, 2 hours a month, $100, and the results are amazing. I no longer pluck, I just shave. Not only is the hair growing slower, but the hair is overall less in 3 months.

The only reason I'm still going two hours at a time is that I'm giving her more areas to work on, first she was only doing my chin, but as that has lessened she's doing my sideburns, upper lip, and then I have some hairs on my chest area as well.

Good luck ladies :) And if you go for electrolysis make sure to go to a good one, my mom went to one who used a lot of "heat" and not galvanic electrolysis, and it started damaging her skin. When you go for a consult ask them if that is what they do and if you have to hold a metal rod during the procedure, IMO no metal rod = not good electrolysis.

Flower Child
02-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Thanks, beerab. That's good info. I wish I would have just done electrolysis instead of wasting time and money with laser.

ringmaster
03-05-2013, 04:02 PM
[QUOTE=beerab;4650106
I have been doing treatments since December, 2 hours a month, $100, and the results are amazing. I no longer pluck, I just shave. Not only is the hair growing slower, but the hair is overall less in 3 months.
[/QUOTE]

wow...that sounds like a great price, especially if eventually the results are permanent. I understand hair grows in cycles so would need a few sessions... about how many sessions does it take to cover an area like the chin OR the upperlip? Is that about the average price for electrolysis? I heard it also depends on the person... 2 hours yours might be able to work quickly, while I worry someone else might take their time and might not get at much done as quickly to keep you coming back more...

Maybe I'll use it as a reward for when I hit goal weight...would be a good way to get me going again on the weight loss too, plus I'd hope I'd be less hairy if I lost more fat. :o

California17
03-11-2013, 07:08 AM
Ladies, get on a low carb program and lose the weight. From what I've read, that alone should help IMMENSELY.

Cut the sugars, breads, pastas, and packaged chemical foods. I know Atkins has a bad rap, but it works wonders for this kind of problem. Judging by myself, as soon as I stray back to a carb-heavy diet, I swear I get new hairs growing (all over my body).

And off course, a trip to the doctors to treat the root of the problem is a smart move.

uberaditi
03-11-2013, 09:57 AM
I've been plucking my chin to the point where I end up with scabs. And then end up picking THOSE as well. I notice everytime I pluck now, there are new hairs growing in a different part of my chin. I am sure it's due to the elevated testosterone levels and I atleast hope that with losing that weight, i'll be able to stop the new hair growth. I might look into electrolysis, but I'm just afraid at throwing so much money at somethig that may mot work.

Has anyone tried facial bleaching products to minimise the appearance of the hair? Did it work? What brands would you recommend?

ginettepv
03-24-2013, 08:31 AM
I've been plucking my chin to the point where I end up with scabs. And then end up picking THOSE as well. I notice everytime I pluck now, there are new hairs growing in a different part of my chin. I am sure it's due to the elevated testosterone levels and I atleast hope that with losing that weight, i'll be able to stop the new hair growth. I might look into electrolysis, but I'm just afraid at throwing so much money at somethig that may mot work.

Has anyone tried facial bleaching products to minimise the appearance of the hair? Did it work? What brands would you recommend?

bleaching hides, but can help promote hair growth. I have had electrolysis for the past 25 years on my face to control unwanted hair growth due to PCOS , always new hairs.

I have had electrolysis on my face and full body laser to remove all hair ( I haven't shaved in 8 years -- armpits, stomach, bikini and full legs). I am incredibly happy with both, but because of PCOS I must get constant touch ups on both my face and my armpits and legs, always new hair regrowth somewhere. I have also notices that where I apply my progesterone and estrogen cream, I get new hairs. ( can't seem to win)

The electrolysis and the lazer technician ( in my case it's the same person I have been seeing for over 25 years) make or break it. I have had people go elsewhere with horror stories about both. They usually ask me and end up coming to see my person.

You must find one that is knowledgeable about hormones, not only esthetics. My electrolysist researched for over 10 years before even getting into the lazer, her rules are very strict, won't do it on just anyone, gives a consult first, tests, etc. For example, for some reason, I scar around the knees. She refuses to do lazer anywhere around the knees and cleans up new hair growth with electrolysis there.

Also, lazer works bests on people with dark hair, thus the reason why it does not work well on some people and why research is so important before spending the money and believing anyone.

I would not write off either electrolysis or lazer. Personnally, I would not get lazer in the face, but that is a personal choice. I am one of only two clients of hers who has had to continue for this long to keep hair growth under control ( both with hormonal issues). I would research extensively the services in your area, get referrals and then make an educated decision.

No matter what you get, because of PCOS,do not be surprised that it is a constant upkeep and not a short term permanent fix. It does make you feel so much better looking in the mirror and is worth every penny.

And just to put things in perspective, I now go once every 5 weeks, for about 2 hours, but that is a full body touch up from head to toe.

sorry, just my two cents after having spent tons of money over the past 25 years. Good luck

Julz2011
04-14-2013, 04:44 AM
Hello avalonmoon i knw how u feel i have the same problem, hate it. I started taking flaxseed 1/4 of a cup every day. I mix it with yogurt u can try adding it to oatmeal. My facial hair growth is a loooot slower now and some hairs disappeared completely :). O and my face and hair is not as oily. Hope this helps. Good luck :)

beerab
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
wow...that sounds like a great price, especially if eventually the results are permanent. I understand hair grows in cycles so would need a few sessions... about how many sessions does it take to cover an area like the chin OR the upperlip? Is that about the average price for electrolysis? I heard it also depends on the person... 2 hours yours might be able to work quickly, while I worry someone else might take their time and might not get at much done as quickly to keep you coming back more...

Maybe I'll use it as a reward for when I hit goal weight...would be a good way to get me going again on the weight loss too, plus I'd hope I'd be less hairy if I lost more fat. :o

Sorry didn't realize there were a response.

It all depends on the person. You could go and be done with treatments within a year, OR you could go for a year and then in a year or so need touchups. But the hair removal in that particular root will be permanent, the problem is we have so many roots that one area might just decide "I want to start growing now" and go from there.

It's been a few months since then and overall huge difference for me. My upper lip is pretty much non-existant. The few hairs on my chest area grow very slowly and much finer now. My sideburns are also much finer. My chin/under chin area are my only sources of frustration right now. While the hair is growing slower it doesn't seem to have gotten much thinner. But my electrologist said the chin area always seems to be most stubborn in her experience.

I pay $50 an hour with her, which IMO is pretty cheap by most standards, I've seen it as high as $90 an hour, but it depends on the area you get it done. The lady I see has an office in a small salon in a cheaper area of town. I found one in my area of town that charges $90/hr! I think that's way too much. I hear she's great, but the person I am seeing is good as well so I don't plan on switching anytime soon.

Mugumya
05-30-2013, 05:38 PM
I have tried EVERYTHING and still seem to have a full beard. I used to shave daily, but seemed to always have a blk 5 o'clock shadow, yuck. Right now it is probablly the most managed it has ever been. I have a permante bi-weekly wax scheduled, I pluck inbetween and use an epilslim home laser. I get a couple days a week with out hair.

beerab
06-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Hey guys, if anyone wants an update. I spoke with the friend who had that laser issue. Well she went to another place, who told her the reason that the hair growth got worse was most likely the laser place she went to weren't using it correctly because it CAN stimulate growth.

So she's gone back and has started doing laser again and her hair growth is so much better. She's happy with the results and recommended a place to me.

I know, I'm shocked.

So I guess bottom line is you have to find a reputable place.

I'm still doing electrolysis, and it's slowly getting better, but I'm curious to get laser done somewhere else.... I know, I'm crazy!

Wannabehealthy
06-17-2013, 08:14 AM
I do not have PCOS, but I have type II diabetes caused by insulin resistance. Since my diagnosis, I have noticed the facial hair, but it's not really as bad as some have mentioned here. It's strange, but all my life my legs were really hairy, especially my thighs, to the point that I rarely wore short shorts or a bathing suit. I used a epilator a few years ago and hardly any hair came back. I tried it on my chin but that was NOT a good idea. It hurt like heck and really tore up my skin. So I pluck my cheeks, chin and neck, but it is nowhere near as bad as some here have mentioned. My heart goes out to you, and I hope they come up with a solution to this.

NemesisClaws
06-17-2013, 09:21 AM
I have been using Nair on my legs, and the hairs have gotten finer and less on them. Personally, I adore it because shaving every day was killing my legs. I have very sensitive and dry skin so I was itching like crazy all the time.

For my chin, chest, lips, and belly, I tend to vary between plucking and shaving. If I shave, it's back in a day or two. If I pluck, it comes in slower and is not so noticeable.

I tried using a facial Nair cream a couple of weeks ago, and broke out bad from it! I had acne like you wouldn't believe on my chin and lips! It is just now finally starting to heal up. Will never do that again....